samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Finally going home.... but with a twist. Feedback would be really really appreciated, each chapter I write is like a marathon as I do it in one sitting. :)


Chapter Three.

Jack picked up Danae for a hug. She just had that… something… about her, that he could not resist. He was slightly startled when she whispered in his ear. “I have to go to Mother. I’ll leave you two to talk.”

She gave him a kiss on the cheek, slipped out of his embrace, grinned at Sam, and left the room.

“Sir?”
“She wants us to talk.”
“Oh.”
Jack fiddled uncomfortably. “So…”
“Um…”
Jack scratched his chin. “What do you say?”
Sam looked sharply at Jack. “You want to try this?”
“Well… yeah. But only if you do. I mean, it’s risky, but…”
“If Vanion and Sephrenia could manage… and they were in more danger than we are.”
“I guess if we kept it off base…”
“I could handle that.” A pause.
“Are you sure about this, Sir?”
“Dammit, I couldn’t leave you behind because of how much I care about you. It’s hard… keeping my distance. Sometimes…” He trailed off.
“I feel the same way.”

Jack fiddled again. “So, I guess we’re decided?”
“I’d say so.”
“Good. Now I can finally do this.” He stepped forward, drawing her into his arms, and kissing her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking along the corridors of the palace, Danae/Aphrael grinned to herself. Sometimes being a Goddess had its advantages….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was later that day. Sam and Jack had made their decision, and both seemed happier for it. Daniel was hiding a slight grin, and Teal’c’s eyebrow was slightly up. Daniel was happy that when they got home, he had a sizable amount of money waiting for him in the SGC pool as to when Jack and Sam would hook up. Sparhawk was just sitting on a couch with a rather bland expression on his face.

The door opened, and Ehlana walked into the room, holding Danae. “I wanted to let you all know there’s going to be a banquet tonight, held in honour of both you, and Tora.” She announced. “I’ll be announcing you all as being of the Tamul Empire, nobody here knows much about the Tamuls, so you can make up some story about meeting us at Emperor Sarabian’s court.” She paused. “The clothes you’re wearing should be fine, but I’ll find a new dress for you, Sam. In fact, you’re about my size, I’ll lend you one of mine.”

Ehlana put her daughter down, who ran to her father and climbed onto his lap. She went into another room, where sounds of rummaging and various ‘hmmm’s’ could be heard.

Sparhawk leaned in to whisper in his daughter’s ear. “I take it your matchmaking went according to plan?”
“Of course, Father. Why do you ask?”
“They haven’t stopped staring at each other the whole time you’ve been gone. It’s getting a bit sickening.”
“You and Mother aren’t much different, Father.”

Sparhawk actually blushed.
“Are you blushing, Father?”
Sparhawk chose not to respond.

After a few more noises, Ehlana returned, holding a deep blue gown. “What do you think, Danae? Think this one will suit?”
“It’s perfect, Mother.”
“I thought so. Come here, Sam, I’ll help you put it on. The banquet’s starting in an hour and we still have to do your hair.”
Sam stifled a groan as she followed the Queen into her bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once in the Queen’s bedroom, Ehlana helped her out of her pale blue gown. “You can keep that.” She said. “You need something to wear around the palace. I have a few others if you want them. A girl needs some variety.”

She helped her into the deep blue gown, and Sam was surprised how well it fit her. And how good it felt. She was directed over to a dresser, where Ehlana started fiddling with her now long hair. Sam decided to ask her some questions.

“Your daughter is very beautiful.”
Ehlana beamed. “Thank you. She’s certainly a wonderful child.” Her eyes glazed over for a few moments. “I’m told you’ve met Flute.”
“Yes.” Sam answered. “At the chapterhouse.”
“Have you… noticed any similarities… between her and… Danae?”

Sam turned to face the Queen. “What are you saying?”
Ehlana bit her lip. “I’ve never spoken to anyone of this before. I don’t want to sound silly or anything, but… Sometimes, I don’t think Danae really is a normal child.”
“You think she’s Flute?”
Ehlana nodded.
“How long have you suspected?”
“A long time now. They’re just so similar. At first I just told myself it was just the fact they were both little girls, but…” Again Ehlana bit her lip. “I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. I love her. But I do wonder. Danae’s 8 now. I fell pregnant on our wedding night. And in 8 years I’ve never fallen pregnant since. Sometimes… I wonder if the Darestim did something. And Flute… Flute didn’t want us to be without…” Her voice trailed off, and Sam saw tears in her eyes. It was in that moment, she knew she had to tell her.

“I know the answer.”
Ehlana looked at her, hopefully. “And?”
Sam took a deep breath. “Danae is Flute.” Ehlana bowed her head. “From what I understand, the poison you were given made you infertile. Flute loved both of you too much to let you go childless, and the kingdom needed an heir. So she chose to be born as your child. Apparently there were some problems, she had a hard time from what I’ve gathered.”

Sam lifted the Queen’s chin. “Don’t be saddened by this. There are people on my world who can never have children. They try all sorts of treatments, and some of them never can conceive. Some of them lose children over and over. You’ve been given a wonderful gift.” She took another breath. “And Flute thinks there may be a way for our world’s technology help you to fall pregnant. Have another child. Maybe even more. We don’t know. But know this: You have the greatest gift you could ever want. You have a child. She may not be like every other child, but she’s yours. And she loves you, very very much. Sparhawk knows. They’re worried about how you’d look at yourself if you knew.”

Ehlana drew her into a hug. “Thank you. Thank you for… erasing my doubts.”
“You’re welcome.” Sam replied, hugging the Queen back. She realized how strong this woman was, and she admired that strength. To have that strength and courage… Not many people did.

Ehlana suddenly sniffed. “We need to get your hair done, and here I am, crying and talking about myself. I’m so sorry.”
“It’s ok, Ehlana.” Sam paused, and smiled. “It’s what friends are for.”
Ehlana smiled back, and drew her into another hug. Two strong women, from two different cultures, that had somehow bonded. And started to form a friendship that would last a very long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After what seemed an eternity to everyone out in the main room, Sam and Ehlana emerged from the bedroom. Jack’s jaw nearly hit the floor. She was beautiful! Ehlana’s dress fit her perfectly, her hair framed her face whilst being done up elaborately with braids interlaced with pearls, and she was wearing jewellery, most likely Ehlana’s, that made her look almost like a queen herself. Daniel, always prepared, took out a camera, and snapped a picture. This was too good to miss. Teal’c bowed his head. “You look very well, Major Carter… Samantha.” He corrected himself.
“Thank you, Teal’c.”

She crossed the room to where Jack stood. “I take it you like what you see, Jack?”
Slowly, his lips curled into a smile, as his hand reached around her waist of its own volition. “Yes.”
“Good.”
He couldn’t help it. He leaned down, and kissed her. And again, Daniel took a picture. Neither of them noticed.

Sparhawk cleared his throat. “We should head over to the banquet now.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside the banquet hall, SG-1 were pacing nervously. Except Teal’c, who remained as stoic as always. “Calm down.” Ehlana told them
“They will not ‘calm down’, Ehlana.” Teal’c replied. “Rather, they will calm up.” He looked at Jack. Jack didn’t even notice him. Sparhawk actually smiled.

The herald cleared his throat for what seemed the hundredth time. He’d announced Alean and Kalten, along with Tora, what seemed like half the kingdom, and now it appeared to be their turn.
“Queen Ehlana and Prince Sparhawk.”
Ehlana straightened, and put her hand on Sparhawk’s arm. “You’re next.” She whispered to SG-1, as she allowed Sparhawk to lead her onto the landing and down the steps.
“And I now have the honour of presenting the Queen’s personal guests. From the kingdom of the Tamuli, The Count Jack and Countess Samantha.”
Jack followed the lead of Sparhawk, and led Sam out onto the landing.
“The Margrave Daniel.”
Daniel followed Sam and Jack, his camera hidden in his doublet.
“And Commander Teal’c, of Atan.”
Teal’c stoically walked out after Daniel, following his teammates to where Ehlana was gesturing to them from her table.
Slowly, they made their way over, and took their seats.

The herald announced that the banquet was now to begin, as servants came out to put food on their tables.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The banquet seemed to last forever. After they had eaten five courses, they were expected to dance, and mingle with the court. Many people, seeing an ear to the Queen, beelined for SG-1. SG-1, however, gave no indication of passing favours, and after numerous discussions involving the weather, what the Tamul court was like, and other, boring diplomatic small talk, Sam pretended to have a headache, and asked the Queen’s permission to retire.

Ehlana gave her a sympathetic look, and played along, saying she would send someone to check in on her later, and excused her and Jack. Teal’c also excused himself, pleading some excuse that he needed to rest himself, as he needed to train early the next morning. Daniel seemed to be having the time of his life, chatting away merrily to a very old man with sharp, twinkling eyes. Seeing that his companions were retiring, the old man turned to Daniel. “I too, also feel the need to retire. I’m not as young as I used to be.” He chuckled.
“My Lord Lenda, I think you’ll outlive us all.” Daniel replied with a smile.

Again the old man chuckled. “Somedays, I do wonder. Could you do an old man a favour, and give your strong young arm to me to lean on? Sometimes my footsteps falter, and it’s nice to have someone to catch me.”
Smiling, Daniel took the old man’s arm, and together they left the room, chatting away merrily.

Ehlana turned to Sparhawk and smiled. “It seems Daniel has found a new friend.”
Sparhawk watched them leaving. “I’m just glad it’s Lenda. The two have a lot in common. And Lenda’s a good man.”
“That he is.” She looked archly at her husband. “Shall we retire too?”
Looking down at his wife, Sparhawk smiled. “Of course, Your Majesty.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the next morning. Sam and Jack woke up slowly, the maid who left breakfast not even disturbing them. As they rose, the noticed they weren’t wearing very many clothes, and blushed slightly. However, Ehlana had been prepared, and two dressing gowns were waiting for them at the end of the bed. Sam felt a slight pang, hoping that when they could get home, they could help Ehlana. She was such an amazing woman.

There was a knock at the door. “Come in.” Jack called. It was Danae. “Hello Danae.”
“Hello Jack. I wanted to let you know, we’re nearly finished with getting you home. I sent my cousin Telaria to get the final information we need, as well as to install what you call a ‘program’ on your system. I’ll show you how to work it when we get there.” Her bow like little mouth suddenly turned down into a frown. “I just see one problem. How do we tell Mother? About the tests?”

Sam took a deep breath. “She already knows. She asked me about it last night. She’s had her suspicions for quite a while.”

Danae looked stunned. “She did?” How did she take it? What does she know?”
“She knows you’re Flute, she guessed that a long time ago, and she’d already guessed about the Darestim. She didn’t want to seem silly, but I think she needed to talk to someone who might know the answers. One thing that had worried her, was only having one child in 8 years.”

Danae looked hopeful. “She doesn’t think of herself any differently?”
Sam looked right into Danae’s ageless eyes. “I told her of all the people on my world who couldn’t have children, and what a gift you had given her. If we can’t help her, she’ll always be thankful to you for giving her, well, you.”

Danae rushed into Sam’s arms. “So she’s alright with it?”
Sam smiled. “From her reaction, I’d say so. She’s a very strong woman.”
“She is. Sparhawk made certain of that when he raised her.”

Jack raised an eyebrow. “He raised her?”
“It was her father’s idea to place her in his care. He shaped her, moulded her, and made her into a woman of steel. Then she decided she wanted to marry him, and nothing on earth could stop that.”

Jack seemed stunned.
“She’s 26, Jack. Sparhawk married her at 18. It’s a little complicated, but I’m sure Teal’c could explain it. Anyway, I need to go have a talk with Mother. I’ll let you know when we’re ready. Hopefully Telaria doesn’t take too long. She has a habit of getting distracted now and then.” And then Danae left the room.

Sam turned to Jack. “What do you want to do?”
A slow smile spread across Jack’s lips as he looked at Sam, in her dressing gown, her long hair dishevelled. “I have some ideas.” He walked over and locked the door.”
“Like?”
“Feel up to some fun?”

Sam hesitated. “I haven’t got any, well, birth control.”
Jack shrugged. “So? There’s ways around that that are just as fun. How about I show you? There’s a zero chance you’ll fall in.” He winked at her, and she laughed. “Why not?”

And they headed to the bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short while later, Daniel and Teal’c stopped outside Jack and Sam’s door. Just as Daniel raised his hand to knock, they heard a noise. A very suspicious noise. Daniel turned to Teal’c. “I think we better leave them to it.”
The Jaffa raised an eyebrow. “Agreed. How about we go and train in the courtyard instead? I feel in need of some exercise.”
“Sounds good, Teal’c.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day passed quietly, everyone doing their own thing, until Danae called a meeting. When everyone was in the royal apartments, she stood and spoke. “Seeing as my secrets out, I don’t have to hide anymore. We can send you home tomorrow. And we’re coming with you.”

Everyone in the room smiled, excited. “Hopefully, your technology can help Mother.” Danae looked over at her mother, who was smiling broadly at her. “I’d really love to have siblings again.”

Ehlana held out her arms to her daughter, and buried her face in her hair. “Thank you.” She whispered to her. “Thank you for everything. For being you.” Danae looked up at her mother and kissed her cheek. “I love you, Mother.”
“I love you too… Aphrael.”

Danae touched her mother’s face briefly, then stood again. “We’ll leave at first light. Your belongings from the chapterhouse will be waiting. I’d suggest everyone get some sleep.”

As everyone rose, she walked up to Daniel. “I have a gift for you.” She touched her fingers to his face, and smiled. “Call on me, whenever you need my help.” He looked slightly baffled, then comprehension dawned. “The rift.”
Danae nodded. “It’ll work through the rift.”
Daniel’s smile could have lit the darkest room at whatever had just passed between them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was dawn. Everyone moved with that muffled sound everyone makes as the sun is still rising. Dressed in their court clothes, they left the palace, Ehlana leaving instructions with a maid that she was going part of the way to see her friends goodbye, and that she didn’t know how long she’d be.

They moved out slowly at first, but as they neared the city gates, picked up pace, until they reached the chapterhouse of the Pandions. Vanion and Sephrenia were waiting for them there. They moved off into the woods near the chapterhouse, until they reached a clearing, where all of SG-1 stood agape. A Stargate stood in the middle of the clearing, complete with its pedestal and steps, and even a DHD.

Danae turned to everyone. “Grab your things.” She announced. “I’m dialling now.”

SG-1 grabbed their packs, slinging them over their shoulders, and putting on their weapons. The gate opened, and Jack sent through the IDC code. He then pressed down on his walkie talkie. “General, are you there?”

“Yes, Colonel, what happened?”
“We’re not sure, but, we’re coming home. And we’re bringing some dignitaries. Have Frasier meet us in the Gateroom.”
“Understood, Colonel. You are cleared for travel.”

Jack turned to those around him. “Shall we go?”

Everyone walked up the steps, and through the puddle of the Stargate, it taking them through to their world. He only hoped there were no bugs….



Please visit my sci-fi, fantasy and anime forum: http://the-phoenix-lair.lefora.com/



End Notes: So, anyone guess what Aphrael gave to Daniel?