samandjack.net

Author's Notes: It's Christmas time for the O'Neill/Carter family and Sam wants to visit her brother, Mark. Jack then feels rather put out as it is his first Christmas with his daughter.


Feeling quite nervous, Sam sat down awkwardly on the opposite end of the couch to Jack and she began fidgeting with her hands. He was trying to watch a documentary about black holes and normally it would be something she would enjoy watching with him. Tonight her gut was churning too much for her to enjoy anything.

"Spill it, Sam, what's up?" His eyes were still on the television and Sam smiled slightly at his talent for knowing her so well that he did not even need to take his attention away from anything else. She could not find the words. Turning, he looked at her, meeting her eyes and making it clear that she now held his attention. Daniella was fast asleep upstairs and Sam knew that this was the best time to speak to him.

"It's about Christmas."

"I'm pretty happy that Hammond's letting us all have the week or two off. Excepting any major crises of course. I know Dani's already had a Christmas, but she can't remember it and this year she gets to spend it with both of us and Daniel and Teal'c. It's going to be amazing." Sam could not help it when her face dropped. She should have known that Christmas would be a big deal to him; Jack was just a big kid at heart. Now she was going to have to break this piece of news to him, yet she had no idea of what words to use. "What is it?"

Forcing herself to meet his eyes, Sam took a deep breath and made herself start. "Mark and his kids visited me last year and I promised that I'd visit them this year. For Christmas."

He nodded slowly, taking in the full extent of her words. "When are you heading down there?"

"The day before Christmas Eve."

"Right." He nodded again and he sounded seriously annoyed and angry. Sam could not blame him. She knew that it was a decision that they should have made together, but she had promised her brother and Mark said that his children were so excited about seeing their cousin again that she could not bring herself to refuse him. Instead, she had chosen to upset Jack. Leaning forward, Jack leant his elbows against his knees and placed his chin in his hands. "I wish you'd discussed this with me. I mean, I am her father, for crying out loud. Didn't it occur to you that I've been looking forward to it? So have Daniel and Teal'c. You could have mentioned something earlier. We're supposed to be a partnership."

"We are. I'm sorry about Daniel and Teal'c, but they'll understand."

"I'm glad they will, but what the hell about me?"

"Whoa, Jack, wait a second." He glanced at her from his resting forward position and she could see the struggle on his face to not completely lose his cool. She sometimes wondered if Sara was ever able to fully cope with him because if he was not acting on the side of childish, he could have an awful temper. Sam counted herself lucky that she was used to it after their numerous years of working together and that the same skills she had learnt at work for coping with Colonel O'Neill also worked for coping with Jack. "I think I got my words muddled." He threw her a look and she shook her head. "I know, it's not exactly normal for me, but please. I've spoken to Mark and he is more than happy for you to come with us. To be honest, I don't fancy the flight to San Diego alone with Daniella."

"So the only changes to my plans are no Teal'c, no Daniel and a good day's worth of travelling?" She nodded. "Well, what's to say no to. It'd be nice to meet Mark. He has two kids, right?"

"Yes, David and Lisa. David is the perfect age for playing hockey with."

Finally relaxing, Jack leaned back on the couch. "If Lisa's anything like a Carter, so'll she be." Her nerves had lifted, too and Sam found herself also able to sit back comfortably.

"There is one little problem though," Sam added almost as an afterthought. She stole a quick sideways glance at Jack and he had resumed watching the television, grunting in acknowledgment of her statement. "Well, they only have one spare bedroom. Mark said that he can force David and Lisa into the one room with or without Daniella, but then one of us would have to sleep in a kid's bed. Or," she glanced again to gauge his reaction, "we can share the spare room."

"What's the problem with that?"

"Only one bed."

SG – SG – SG

Walking up to the stranger's refrigerator, Jack opened the door and scouted around for something to eat or drink. It had been a long day of travelling and Sam had already gone to bed after putting Daniella to sleep in Lisa's bedroom. Glancing into the room he would be sharing with Sam for a few nights, Jack had noted that there was a large double bed and a sofa that was probably just about long enough for him to fit on. It would not be comfortable after three nights, Jack had already realised that. Deciding that there was nothing that he wanted to eat or drink, Jack pushed the door closed again and then realised that Mark was standing a few feet away, behind the open door.

"Hey," Jack greeted, feeling somewhat uncomfortable. He had never met the older brother before and he found it highly odd to have only just met him and yet be staying in his house, sharing a room with his younger sister no less.

"Sam told me a few months ago about the whole Daniella and you thing." Nodding silently, Jack sensed that this was one of those conversations where he should just allow Mark to speak. "At first I couldn't decide if it was better that my little sister had got pregnant from a one night stand or from breaking regulations."

"Which won?"

"I don't know much about you, Jack. I hate the idea of Sam being so drunk that she slept with a stranger, but she's a grown woman and I despise the fact that the Air Force rule her life and dictate who she can open her heart to."

"It's not that simple," Jack objected. Nothing was ever as simple as it being just the Air Force rules and he really did not want to think about her opening her heart.

"I don't understand it all and I don't particularly want to. All that I do really know is that, the military is important to Sam. It was important enough to join when I couldn't stand the thought." There was still a slight bitter element to his statement that Jack knew would not be healed with time. "Her life and career are important to her and I don't want to ever find out that you jeopardised that. Dad's mentioned you before."

"Good old dad."

"He thinks you're a dangerous, bitter, irreverent old colonel with a lack of respect for those your senior."

"He forgot sarcastic and cynical."

"Are you dangerous? Did you abuse your position to get Sam into this position?"

"No." Despite their lack of a relationship, Jack still wanted the approval of Sam's family for the hope that at some point in the future, if there was a chance, it would not pose an extra problem. "I won't lie. I've been dangerous, yes, but that's my job for you. I have never and will never put Sam into a position of being hurt and, not far behind my daughter, Sam's career is always at the forefront of my mind." It was from his training that Jack was so easily able to keep his work and personal lives so separate despite their similarities. It had helped since General Hammond had removed Sam from as many off-world duties.

"Only time will tell, I guess. I'll reserve judgement until I get to know you better."

No one could say fairer than that, Jack knew, but he did feel the need to remind or inform Mark of something. "Just don't say anything to your dad yet."

"Why not?"

"Well, it's kind of complicated in that he doesn't yet know." Faking a yawn, Jack then said, "Good night," as he walked past his host and made his way up to the spare bedroom. Quietly opening the door, Jack knew how Sam slept constantly on alert as he did, too, although she was capable of sleeping deeper when not off world. He was kind of glad that he had missed out on the early months of Daniella's screams and Sam's sleepless nights. It had only been in the last few months that he had stopped lying there listening to any little noise in their house and wanting to check on his daughter every few moments. Sam was asleep, snuggled up in the covers and facing the doorway. As he closed the door behind him, Jack made his way across the room because of the small lamp Sam had left on for him. Knowing it would be painful and that he would wake up stiff, Jack only had the option of sleeping on the small couch. Neither his knees nor his back would thank him come the morning and all Jack could promise his body in return was a heavy dose of Christmas spirit every evening after Daniella was asleep.

Quickly changing into some sweat pants and a loose t-shirt, Jack then threw a blanket on the couch before making a claim to the two pillows on the bed next to Sam's head. She stirred silently and he hoped that he had not woken her so he paused and made no further movement. Just as he was about to make a move to his couch, Sam rolled over and mumbled something. "Huh?" It was an automatic reply that escaped his mouth before his brain could process.

"I said, sleep here."

"What?"

"Are you dumb, Jack? Get into bed. That couch'll kill you. Now, turn off the damn light."

"Yes, ma'am." As he turned off the lamp, he saw her lips smile.

SG – SG – SG

"So, tell me the truth, sister dearest," Mark said with only a few slurring words. Both of them were more than a little bit tipsy, but then it was still the season and perfectly acceptable. "What is with you and Jack?"

"What do you mean?" She giggled as he gently prodded her and she failed to fall off her kitchen stool, much to his disappointment.

"You tell me that due to work, you're just living together to raise Dani. You tell me that it's forbidden and not allowed, you're just friends and then…"

"Then what?"

"Well," he said dramatically. "Well, then, my kids and yours walk in to find you in bed together. Just friends, huh?"

Sam could not help the blush that immediately coloured her cheeks brightly. She had been mortified when she had been awoken by Dani, David and Lisa. Daniella only ever climbed into her bed when Sasha had got her up and Sam was, for some reason, having a lie-in. The toddler never encountered her father on the other side of Sam, though. Through her hazy, sleep filled eyes, Sam had not missed how large Daniella's grin had been on seeing her daddy and then being able to clamber all over him. The down side was that Mark had happened to walk past the door whilst it was wide open, not that he would not have found out as David and Lisa had not been able to stop from shouting it through the house to their mother. "We're close friends. But friends only."

"Why? Because you don't feel that way about him?" Glancing over at him, Sam was relieved to find that Mark was keeping his own gaze on the glass of whiskey in front of him. They had never really ever had discussions about the opposite gender and despite their adult ages, Sam could imagine that this conversation was awkward for her brother.

"He's my commanding officer and friend. That's all."

"And that did not answer my question, Sammie."

"Don't call me that, Mark."

"Do you feel that way about him?"

After a long sip of her own drink, Sam attempted to answer him. "It doesn't matter if I do, because nothing can happen. For Daniella's sake as well as any other reason."

Mark shook his head and Sam knew that he still had a vein of hatred or displeasure concerning the military in general. "Don't give me the Daniella excuse and don't let the military rules dictate how you live your life." He stood up, swallowing the last of his whiskey and then kissed Sam on the top of her head. "I just want you to be happy."

"I am, Mark."

"Love you."

"Love you, too." Sam waited for a few moments after he left the kitchen and then she finished off her own drink before heading upstairs to the spare bedroom. Jack had gone to bed not long before she and Mark had begun their final drink of the evening and she was surprised to see him lying down with his eyes closed. There was no way that he could already be asleep. Colonel O'Neill never fell asleep instantly and that included off world when they could each only grab a few hours in turn. Since the first night, when the travelling had worn them both out, they had been sharing the double bed rather than forcing Jack onto the couch. They had slept closely together, side by side, many times during their career to the extent that they had used each other as a pillow of some sort on occasion. This was no different.

Turning off the light, Sam climbed into bed beside Jack and tried to make herself comfortable on her back. Perhaps it was the alcohol coursing through her system, or it was because nothing was clear cut anymore, but Sam knew that them sharing a bed was very different to normal.

"Have a good chat with Mark?"

Turning her head to the left, Sam could see the smallest reflection of light in his eyes. "Yeah. Are you glad that we came?"

"Aside from Mark having a big brother chat with me, yeah."

Turning onto her side and facing him, Sam said, "What? No!" Then she broke out in giggles. It was the thought of her brother, who could be the alpha male in certain circles, giving a big brother speech to Jack, alpha male in pretty much any circle.

"Shut up," he laughed, poking her in the ribs.

"I'm sorry, it's just that the image of Mark threatening you over me, it's the funniest thing I've heard all year." She tried to keep her voice low, but it was difficult enough to speak through her giggles without trying to control the volume. Playfully he pushed her in an attempt to quieten her, but it failed as Sam simply giggled even more. He shifted closer to her and put a hand over her mouth in an attempt to muffle her giggles. The increased proximity caused her to be able to smell him and she found her giggles suddenly halted. Across the short distance and through the dark, her eyes met his and his hand started to slowly move away. Shivering slightly as his hand gently touched her bare shoulder, Sam found herself liking the delicate way his fingers were slowly stroking her shoulder.

Her fingers twitched and brushed against his t-shirt clad chest causing her to purposefully move her hand the small amount needed to press her hand against his t-shirt. Through its thickness, she was still able to feel the heat from his skin and she soon found herself slowly caressing his chest at the same speed as he was stroking her shoulder. His fingers then started to trail up over the curve of her shoulder and along towards her neck. They brushed over a particularly sensitive spot and she smiled, pleased that he then smiled back at her. His fingertips moved along the length of her neck before moving backwards to her spine. The warmth of his hand spread across her neck as his entire hand gently covered her neck, the thumb resting on her cheek.

In response Sam's hand moved upwards along his chest, sensing the difference from the chest hair underneath his t-shirt. She continued moving her hand, seeking out the scruff of his neck and his hairline. It was as if her hand had a mind of its own as it sought out his hair, needing to run her fingers through the short lengths. His thumb was still stroking backwards and forwards on her cheek as she gently, but tightly, grabbed onto some of his hair. Simultaneously, they each moved forward and pulled the other closer until their lips were so close to touching. She could smell his minty toothpaste combined with the remnants of the whiskey he had been drinking and a scent that she could describe only as Jack. She had few memories of kissing him, of even being in such a situation with him, but from what she could remember, Jack's kisses were something to amaze.

Their lips brushed together, the faint touching feeling like an electric shock to Sam and she could not help but let out the smallest of moans. That seemed to be the only encouragement that Jack needed to crush his lips to hers and release her neck to run his hand down her back, pulling her entire body closer to his. Lifting her leg to place it over his, Sam could feel the sheet between their bodies; she had been sleeping on top of a sheet to keep a barrier between them. Her body seemed to mould to his as he then rolled her onto her back, crushing her beneath him. Sam had never felt so happy to have such a weight on her as they both deepened the kiss.

Until there was a loud bang of a door closing from beyond the closed door and Jack broke the kiss, both of them turning towards the door. Slowly, their heads then turned back to each other as if in a movie version of slow motion. From out of nowhere and for absolutely no reason, other than the alcohol in her bloodstream, Sam burst into a fit of giggles again. Jack nudged her cheek with his nose, laughing low in his throat as he whispered, "No giggling, Carter."

"Sorry, sir," she laughed until she realised what she had said. They both sobered in that moment and he rolled off of her, both lying on their backs and she simply stared at the ceiling feeling mortified.

"G'night, Carter." Sam's heart sank at his use of what she often saw as a harmless, affectionate nickname that right now felt almost like a slap across her face. She could not bring herself to respond; her voice could not be trusted.

SG – SG – SG

Closing the cab door once Sam was inside, Jack then turned to say goodbye to Mark and the kids. He ruffled David's hair and said, "Maybe next time you can beat me at hockey."

"Like I already can," Lisa grinned, earning herself a scowl from her brother. David pushed her before running off to the other side of the cab and Lisa stuck her tongue out before chasing after him.

Jack then turned to Mark. "Thanks for having us, and me. It's been a really good Christmas." It was true and he was not sure when he had last had a Christmas as fun as one with the Carters had been. He was not sure yet if that conclusion included his drunken antics with Sam or not. They had not discussed it, nor had they drunk anymore alcohol for the rest of the vacation. He could not say for definite if it was the alcohol or the build-up of the past 6 months, but he should have not allowed it to happen. It did not matter how much he wanted to kiss her and hold her, nor did it matter that those moments when he wanted to kiss her were increasing in their frequency. After all of their increased proximity, Jack was actually wary of their impending travelling and how she would be near to him the entire time. It was all that he could do to ignore the memories of her soft, fragrant skin, or her moist, luscious lips. It was her smell that affected Jack the most and until they got home, that was what he was going to have to suffer through the most.

"It was good to meet you, Jack. Oh, and just so you know," he leaned in to whisper conspiratorially. "You get my seal of approval with my little sister."

"We're just friends."

"Yeah, right. So you won't mind if I set her up with my friend Pete, then." Jack tried to not show any reaction, but he did not like that idea at all and relief flooded him as Mark grinned. "Safe journey, see you soon."

"Thanks. You guys will have to come visit us all in the New Year." Mark nodded before the two men shook hands as a manly way of saying goodbye. Jack felt odd; he felt as if he were leaving his own family.