samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


“Mom, Dad I'm home.” Mark walked into the dining area and stopped.

“Sam.”

“Hey, little brother.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Like father, like son” Mel said.

“Come and take a look.” Mark walked over to the photos.

“Who are they?”

“That is Charlie and Grace, your niece and nephew”

“You’re joking! I'm an uncle?”

“Yep.”

“Cool.” He looked through them and some of the other photos.

“Wow, cool photos.”

“I'm pleased you like them.”

“Where are they?”

“At day care. Perhaps one day all of you come to visit. We
have plenty of room.”

“Can we, Mom, Dad?”

“One day, Mark” Jacob said. Mark looked through the photos with a grin on his face.

“Want to see the tape?” Sam asked.

“Yeah.”

“Come on then.”

They walked into the living room where Sam turned the TV and video recorder on and put in the tape. Then she stepped back and turned to see her family sitting down on the couch watching the video.

When it came to the cake, their smiles got bigger. Then they laughed when they saw what the twins did to the cake and watched as Jack and Sam blew out the candles then stepped back behind the twins and kissed.

They all heard Sam say, “Like father, like twins.”

“Too right! We love cake.” Then he bent over, “Don’t we kids?”

They saw the kids grinning with chocolate cake with white icing over their fingers and mouths.

Then they saw Jack quickly stand up and turn to Sam. “Sam did you have to do that? I was having fun with the kids.”

“Well I couldn't help it and you know that.” Then she gave him a kiss and turned to pick up a knife and started cutting the cake up.

“Sam, Jack was like that when he was the twins’ age.”

“What, more interested in the cake than blowing out the candle?”

“Yes.”

“Well, we know that our kids and Jack have same things in common.”

“That is so true; here let me help you out, dear.”

“Thanks, Mom.” They watched Sam smack Jack’s hand as he was just about to put his finger in the icing, causing everyone to laugh.

“Here eat this, you big kid” Sam said, as she passed him piece of cake.

“Thanks, Sam. What about the kids?”

Then they saw Jack’s mother cut off a piece around where the twins had put their hands in the cake and put the piece in front of them. Every one watched them enjoy eating the cake with smiles on their faces.

“Mom, I don't know which ones are the kids. The twins or all three of them” she laughed.

“Sam, all three of them are kids.” Sam laughed even harder.

“Hey, I'm not a kid!”

“Well, some days you act like one” Sam said smiling.

“She’s right son.”

“Mom” he said, whining, making every one laugh.

“But we still love you” Sam said as she gave him a kiss then returned cutting up the cake.

As the video finished, it showed Jack and Sam taking the sleeping twins to bed and giving them a kiss before leaving the room, then the video stopped. Sam stepped forward and pressed rewind on the video and turn the TV off. She turned to her family.

“As you can see in the video I am happy.”

“I noticed George there.”

“Yes. His family was invited and they enjoyed themselves.”

“I like the nursery. Who did that?” Mel asked.

“Jack did. When we found out that I was carrying twins, he asked what theme I would like to have for it.”

“He did a fantastic job.”

“Yes, he did. Jack can be full of surprises.”

They talked for the rest of the day. That night Jacob drove Sam to the airport. When he dropped her off, she turned to him.

“Thanks, Dad, and I hope you, Mom, and Mark can make it to Colorado Springs one day so you can meet Jack and your grandchildren.”

“We will one day.”

“Remember our house is always open for you.”

“Thanks, Sam.”

“I better go, don't want to miss my flight.”

“Bye, Sam.”

“Bye, Dad.” Sam got out of the car and walked into the airport while Jacob drove back home.

When Sam’s plane landed and she got off, Jack was there waiting for her. They both hugged and kissed.

“How did it go?” he asked as they walked towards the exit.

“Good. Dad and I had a good talk.”

“That’s good. And the rest of the family?”

“All good. We all sat around the table and got things out in the open and Dad told me what General Miller told him.”

“Which was what?”

“That you got me pregnant and then married me by black mailing Mom into signing the marriage consent papers.”

“What?”

“Yeah, Mom told Dad that it was your Mom who went and talked to her. After I found out what Dad told me and what Mom and I told him, he now knows the truth about our wedding and the twins.” They got into Jack’s truck and drove home.

“So what's Dad going to do?”

“He’s going to make some phone calls tomorrow to find out more info on General Miller and let me know what he finds.”

“OK.”

“How are the kids?”

“Good. Mom’s looking after them while I'm here to pick you up.”

“OK.” They talked ‘til they got home.

They talked to Jack’s mother for few minutes before she left to go home. Jack keep an eye out for her until she reached her place safely. Once she was inside and had her door closed, Jack walked back inside and closed and locked the door. He then followed Sam up to their bedroom where they did their night routines before going to bed.

Two weeks later Sam just got home when the phone rang so she quickly ran to the kitchen to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Sam.”

“Dad, hey, you’re lucky to catch me. I just got in.”

“Are you sitting down?” Sam sat.

“Yes.”

“I did some checking up on General Miller.”

“And?”

“I spoke to General Ryan about what he told me about you and Jack. General Miller has been reprimanded for what he said to me and for trying to black mail four of the jury members in his son’s court martial.” Sam raised her eye brows.

“Really? Shouldn't he lose his career over it?”

“He could if it was proven. Only one of the men confirmed the black mail attempt. But it’s not enough.”

“It’s a shame though.”

“I know and because of a major who spoke up, a general's promotion has been turned down and it will be another five years before he might be eligible again, but it will depend on if he can keep his nose clean. During that time he will be strongly encouraged to retire.”

“I know what you mean Dad, thanks for telling me.”

“You’re welcome, how are the twins?”

“They’re both water babies” Jacob laughed.

“You were like that at their age.”

“I’ll bet.”

“Are you looking forward to next month? You know it's going to be hard on you, Jack, and the twins.”

“I know, but we can manage it. After all, I'm used to Jack being away for a week, two tops, for missions, so we know and it is going to be a challenge for us both.”

“And what are your plans afterward?”

“When I graduate, I'm going to go to Shepherd Air Force Base to do Euro-NATO joint jet pilot training and see what happens from there.”

“Sam, do you know how long the training lasts?”

“A year, I know Dad, but it's what I want to do.”

“Does Jack know?”

“Yes, he does, Dad, and he supports me one hundred percent.”

“Alright, look, I better go. Good luck, Sam.”

“Thanks Dad, say ‘Hi’ to Mom and Mark for me.”

“Will do.”

Sam went back out to her new station wagon, the one they bought when she got her driver’s license, and got the groceries in and started making dinner.

When Jack come home after picking up the twins, Sam went to greet the three with hugs and kisses.

That night, Sam told Jack about the phone call from her dad. “Sounds like General Miller’s not a happy camper.”

“No, he's not. That should teach him about messing with the wrong people.”

“That’s for sure.” They talked for few more minutes before they went to sleep knowing the twins would be awake early in the morning.