samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Then they noticed the Air Force Chief of Staff, the President and two of his secret service men walk into the room. The President walked up to the podium.

“I am honored to be here today to shake each one of your hands and thank you for job well done during the Persian Gulf War. I know you’re looking forward seeing your families. You are all here for a reason. That is: you all have shot down or destroyed more enemy jets, bases, and convoys than any other unit during the war. Thank you.”

He stepped down from the podium and walked up to the first pilot with General Viking and two sergeants with him holding boxes. When the President shook each of their hands he passed them their Joint Service Achievement Medal, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award and Air Force Overseas Ribbon, short tour. As he passed them the three boxes, General Viking told the President each person's name. When they came to Sam, she saluted to which the president gave her a nod.

“Captain Samantha Carter” General Viking said as the President shook Sam’s hand.

“You’re young to be a Captain.” Sam smiled.

“Yes, Sir. Promoted while on tour, Mr. President.”

“Really? Well done.”

“Thank you, Mr. President.” He passed Sam her three boxes.

“Keep up the good work, Captain.”

“Yes, Sir, Mr. President . Congratulations on your promotion, General Viking.”

“Thank you, Captain.” Then they moved to the next person.

When it was over and the President and General Viking were again standing at the podium, the Air Force Chief of Staff stepped forward.

“I'm impressed with the work you all did. There’s one more award to be issued.... Captain Carter, front and center.”

Sam step forward from her spot and walked to the front and stood at attention. The President and General Viking walked to stand in front of Sam.

“Captain Samantha Carter has distinguished herself by gallantry and integrity at the risk of her life, above and beyond the call of duty, in action involving actual combat with an armed enemy of the United States. In recognition of this performance of duties, and by order of the Congress of the United States of America, you are hereby awarded the Medal of Honor for actions above and beyond the call of duty in taking out the five enemy aircraft while ensuring four rescue helicopters arrived safely at their base. Well done, Captain Carter” the President said as he put the medal around Sam’s neck.

“Let me also mention, Captain Carter is the first female recipient of this medal, and it is my great honor to be a part of this ceremony.”

“Captain Carter, I also present you the Air Force Cross for extraordinary heroism for rescuing another pilot, as well as your efforts in protecting your teammates and saving their lives” the President said as he pinned the medal on to her uniform.

“Thank…” He put his hand up interrupting her.

“And since you were wounded in the line of duty, I also have your Purple Heart.” He pinned that one on as he spoke then he stood back.

“In conjunction with the Secretary of Defense and the Air Force Chief of Staff, in recognition of Captain Samantha Carter's outstanding work, I hereby authorize her immediate promotion to the rank of Major. The United States Air Force has recognized that you have fulfilled tasks and duties well beyond the responsibility of Captain. It is with great pleasure that I bestow upon you the responsibilities, the respect and the rank of Major.” The Air Force Chief of Staff said as he read out the orders.

While he was reading it, General Viking changed Sam rank insignia. Once done, he stood back and they saluted each other.

“Well done, Major. Keep up the good work.”

“Yes, Sir.” Then Sam return to her spot.

“Company dismissed” General Viking said.

Every one talked and congratulated Sam on her promotion and awards. The Chief of Staff walked over to Sam.

“Major.”

“Sir.” They saluted each other.

“A word, please.”

“Yes, Sir.” Sam followed the general in to the next room where the President was sitting.

“Major Carter, I have read your record.. Major we want you to lead in a Top Secret project.”

“Where, Sir?”

“At the Pentagon and Cheyenne Mountain. You are the Air Force top expert on worm hole theory and an astrophysicist.”

“What is the project called, Sir?”

“Stargate.” He passed Sam a file. She opened it and looked at the black and white photos.

“That’s an alien device, Major.”

“Alien?” Sam looked at the different photos and read what it was about.

“General, when this ‘Stargate’ was found, were there any other devices with it?”

“No, why?“

“Well, Sir, there should be another device to make this work...a DHD.”

“What’s a DHD?” the president asked.

“Dial home device.” The President raised his eye brows.

“I knew you are smart, Major, but there were none.”

“Well, Sir, it looks like I'll have to build a computer dialing program with back up protocols...”

“Whoa, Major, please!” Sam smiled.

“Sorry, Sir. I get carried away a bit.”

“I can see that, Major. You are transferred to the Pentagon in two weeks. Get me a list of things you will be needing to make it work.”

“Yes, Sir” she said smiling as she passed the file back.

“Major, report to my office on Monday the sixteenth.”

“Yes. Sir.”

“Remember, it’s classified.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“You can return to the other room, Major. Welcome home.”

“Thank you, Sir, Mr. President.” Sam stood at attention and saluted which the general returned.

Sam turned and just as she approached the door, to the other room, she heard “Oh, Major Carter, there is one other little surprise for you.”

“Yes, Sir?”

“We made arrangements to bring your family to the awards ceremony. I’m certain your father, General Carter, is very proud of your accomplishments, as is your husband, Colonel O’Neill. The First Lady and I would like for all of you to join us for dinner at the White House. Your father has all the details. You’ll find them in the next room.”

Sam was grinning from ear to ear. “Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir!”

When Sam had left the room, the President asked “Do you think she can make it work, General?”

“Yes, Sir. She looked at the photos and knew something was missing. I hadn't even though of a ‘DHD’.”

“Well she sure noticed. Let me know how things go, General.”

“Yes, Sir”.

Sam was surrounded by her teammates when she reentered the room.

“So what did the General want?”

“Can't tell you.”

“Why not?”

“It's classified and if I tell you I'll have to shoot you.”

“That’s big, Major.” Sam smiled, still not quite used to the new rank.

“Oh yeah. As far as I know, only the President, the Air Force Chief of Staff and four civilians know about it.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really! Now, excuse me, my family is waiting just over there!”

Sam was greeted with hugs, kisses, and warm congratulations when she reached her family. Jack, Grace, Charlie, and Jack’s mother had all come from Colorado, and Sam’s parents and Mark still had their home in the DC area, so everyone would stay there for a couple of days.

The visit to the White House, also included a photo op and interviews with the White House Press Corps. The twins were greeted warmly by the President and First Lady, and the entire family enjoyed a very pleasant evening with the First Family.

When their military transport flight arrived at Peterson Air Force Base a few days later, there was a driver waiting for them.

“Sweet! A ride home.”

“Compliments of the Air Force” Sam said.

The driver walked over to them and saluted both Sam and Jack.

“Major Carter, Colonel, I'm here to take you home, Ma'am, Sir.”

“Very well, Sergeant.” They followed the sergeant who got their bags to the waiting van.

Twenty minutes later, the driver pulled the van into their drive way. “Home sweet home” Sam said.

“Yes, Ma'am. Beautiful house, Ma'am.”

“Yes, it is Sergeant.” When the car stopped and they got out, the sergeant helped Jack and Sam carry all their bags to the door. “Thank you, Sergeant.”

“It’s an honor, Ma’am. Sir.” Then he returned to the van and drove back to the base.

Sam opened the front door, and then helped Jack with Grace and Charlie who were very tired after the flight and traveling most of the day. She had missed spending time with the children, so she insisted on helping them get bathed and changed into their pajamas.

They could have dinner together in the living room, and cuddle for a while before bedtime. While Sam was helping the twins, Jack phoned their favorite pizza place for a delivery and invited his mother to join them.

They spent a very enjoyable evening sharing the pizza and talking about all the things they wanted to do together before Sam had to report to the Pentagon for her new assignment.
After Grace and Charlie had gone to bed, which of course involved their mother having to read two stories for each of them, Jack and Sam were finally able to retire to their own bedroom.

“Honey, I'm home” Sam whispered in Jack’s ear.

“Finally! I missed you so much and needed you here beside me.”

“I needed you, too. You know, Jack, we have six months of catching up to do.” Sam looked at Jack to see him grinning.
They kissed, passionately, and slowly removed each other’s clothes and got into bed where they spent the next couple of hours making love. Afterward, Sam was snuggling up to Jack’s side. She propped up on to her arm,

“Jack, I have some more news.” He turned his head to look closely at her.

“Oh?”

“First of all, remember when you and I were in the shower a couple of months ago?” Jack grinned.

“Oh yeah, I remember. Why?”

“I'm pregnant.”

Jack stared at her, wide eyed.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I know.”

“We’re going to have another baby?”

“Yes. How do you feel about that?”

“I'm so happy!” He pulled her down for a kiss.

“There’s more.” Jack waited for her to continue.

“Sam, what is it?”

“Do the words...’I'm an Air Force officer just like you are, Colonel, and just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside, doesn't mean I can't handle whatever you can handle’...mean anything to you?” Jack eyes widened.

“You mean?”

“In two weeks.”

“Sam, that’s wonderful...but what about us?”

“Jack. I'm going to be traveling between here and The Pentagon. I'll have to look for an apartment when I get there.”

“No need.”

“Jack?”

“I already got you an apartment. The Chief of Staff told me about you transferring to the Pentagon when we were in Washington last week. Sam, it’s a fully furnished apartment twenty minutes from the Pentagon. And even though the landlord said the lease is only for one year, I said ‘make it two and I'll pay cash up front’. He agreed, so you don't have to worry about rent while you’re there.”

“But how?”

“Your parents came to visit for a couple of weeks and the six of us went to Las Vegas.”

“You didn't!” Jack grinned.

“I did. Mom walked away with over three million, your parents two million and me five million. I've put a million in each of our IRAs for when we retire.”

“Jack...I love you.” She leaned over and gave him a kiss, and then they made love again.

The next day, when Jack’s mother returned from getting the twins after school, Sam and Jack were waiting for them in the living room. Sam called them all in and asked them to sit.

“I've been resigned, to the Pentagon, but my work there also affects my work at NORAD. I'll be able to come home for a couple of days here and there plus for my maternity leave in August.”

“Maternity leave... you’re pregnant?”

“Yes.”

“Wait a minute that means you...a couple of months ago?”

“Yes, when Jack and his team stopped over for three hours” Sam said grinning.

“I knew he had seen you. He told me but he didn't....” she shook her head.

“Mommy, are you having a baby?” Grace asked.

“Yes, I am.”

“Cool!” Sam hugged both kids.

They all talked for an hour about how things were at school for the twins, and what they wanted to do before Sam had to report to Washington.