samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


The next morning, an airman was waiting for Sam. Once she was in the car, he drove her to the Pentagon. When she got there and was inside, the general’s aide was waiting for her.

“Major Carter, I'm Captain Towers. If you will follow me, Ma'am.” Sam followed the captain to the Chief of Staff's office.

When they got there, they walked inside and both stood at attention and saluted.

“Major Carter reporting for duty as ordered, Sir.”

“At ease. You’re dismissed, Captain.”

“Yes, Sir.” He walked out of the office closing the door.

“Major Carter, welcome to the Pentagon.” Sam smiled.

“Thank you. General. I'm eager to start work on the Stargate project.” The general grinned.

“I’ll bet you are, Major.” He stood and walked to the door.

“Major, walk with me.”

“Yes, Sir.” They walked out of the office and down a corridor.

“Major, did you enjoy your two weeks down time?” Sam’s face lit up and she smiled.

“Yes. Sir. It was good to spend it with Jack and the twins. I can't believe how much they have grown.”

“How old are the twins, Major?”

“Almost six, Sir. There’s something you should know, Sir.”

“What’s that, Major?”

“I'm nine weeks pregnant. Sir.”

“Congratulations, Major.”

“Thank you, Sir, and if you’re wondering if Jack’s the father, the answer is ‘yes’, Sir. On one of his missions the Hercules he was on stopped off at the base for refueling and they had three hours before their mission. I had just returned from bombing run and Jack saw me...he said he wanted to wash my back and well...” Sam said, blushing slightly.

“I understand, Major.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Does Colonel O'Neill know about the baby?”

“Yes, Sir. He is very happy and so are the kids.”

“That’s good to know, Major.” They talked until they walked into a lab where there were other staff waiting for the general. They all stood at attention.

“At ease. This is Major Carter. She is going to be working on the Stargate project. You are to help her with anything she needs.” He turned to Sam.

“Let me know if there is any equipment you need, Major.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Good. I'll let you get started.”

“Yes, Sir.” Then he walked out of the lab.

Sam looked around. “Right...for starters, are any of these computers connected to NORAD?”

“Yes, Ma’am, this one here is.” Sam walked over to the computer and started typing.

“Are there any connections to Stargate Command?” She stopped typing and looked at them.

“Stargate command, where the Stargate is.”

“Oh... no Ma'am. They don't have any computers there.”

“Just great...”

She walked over to a desk and picked up a pen and pad then she started writing the list of things she would need for both the Pentagon and the SGC.

“What information do we have about the Stargate project?” Sam asked as she carried on writing.

“Only what’s on here, Major” a lieutenant said as he walked over to Sam to pass her some disks.

“Thanks. If you all were working on other projects, carry on.”

They returned to what they were doing while Sam continued writing.

When she finished, she walked out of the lab and down to the general’s office. When she arrived, she knocked on the door. “Enter.” Sam walked in and stood at attention.

“At ease, Major. What can I do for you?” Sam passed him the list. He looked it over and raised an eye brow then looked up at Sam.

“You need all of this, Major?”

“Yes, Sir, for both here and the SGC, Sir.”

“SGC?” He looked confused.

“Stargate Command, Sir.”

“Stargate Command...SGC. I like it, Major.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“Well alright. I'll sort it all out for you, Major. Is there anything else?”

“No, Sir, not at this time.”

“Alright, I'll put your request in right away. Will you be OK with what’s in the labs for the meantime?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Alright. If there’s nothing else, you're dismissed.” Sam saluted the general before walking out of his office and returning to the labs.

When she arrived there she went to check out the disks and started making plans and designs. When it was lunch time, Sam left to go to a car dealership to buy a car. She remembered the car from her memories, it wasn't good on the roads during the winter months and she remembered Jack saying the best wagon to get is a Ford SUV.

So she got a taxi and rode to the Ford dealership after she got the address from the phone book. She was still in her dress blues and wearing an over coat to keep warm. When she walked into the showroom she removed her hat. She looked around at the different vehicles on display.

Ten minutes later a woman walked out to her. “Hello, can I help you?”

“Yes, I would like to buy 1992 Explorer.”

“No one came to talk to you?”

“No Ma'am, I've been looking around and waiting for someone. I have only an hour for lunch.” She looked at her watch. “Make that thirty minutes and with the roads the way they are, it will take me twenty minutes to get back to work.”

“Let me find a salesman for you.”

“Thank you, Ma'am.”

The woman walked back the way she had come, then a man came out. From what Sam could see, he was about eighty pounds plus overweight and from his eyes she knew right away he would try to sell her something different.

“Hello, I'm Terry.” Sam went to shake his hand and noticed fat grease over his hand.

“Samantha Carter.” She got a hanky out to wipe the grease off her hand.

“So you want to by the latest Explorer?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Well a good looking woman like yourself should try out one of these.” He pointed behind her. When Sam saw the car and the price she shook her head.

“No. I said the latest Explorer.”

“Are you sure I can't temp you?”

“I’m sure. Who is the manager here?”

“Why?”

“Either I talk to him or another salesman, or I'll go and look somewhere else.” Sam folded her arms and waited.

“Look young lady…” Sam knew that tone.

“I haven't got all day” Sam said sternly. Just then an older man, in his late sixties, walked out and over to them.

“Terry, leave this to me.”

“Sure.” Then he walked back the way he had come.

“I’m sorry about that, Ma'am. John Hunt, I'm the manager here. And you are, Ma'am?” Sam smiled; she knew right away she liked the name.

“Samantha Carter” as they shook hands.

“Air Force.”

“How did you know?” He smiled.

“Your hat, uniform gave it away.”

“Ah, very observant, Sir.” He laughed.

“I was in the Air Force during the Korean War, retired Colonel John Hunt.”

“Major Samantha Carter.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Major. So what kind of car where you looking for?” Sam smiled again.

“I want to buy a 1992 Ford Explorer.”

“Sure. What color would you like?”

“Blue.” He grinned.

“You saw it outside.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“OK. Come with me and let’s get the papers sorted out.” They walked to a door just off the showroom floor.

“So where do you work, Major?”

“The Pentagon.”

“Really, doing what?”

“It’s classified.”

“OK. By any chance, were you overseas during the Persian Gulf War?”

“Yes, Sir. I flew over two hundred hours in the six months I was there.”

“Really, shoot any MIGs down?”

“Yes and blew a few things up while I was at it.” They walk through the door into an office. He laughed.

“By the sounds of it, you like to blow things up.”

“Yes, Sir.” They sat down and John got the paper work completed while they talked.

Ten minutes later, Sam was getting in to her new SUV and driving back to the Pentagon, not knowing what was going on back at the car dealership.

After Sam left, John walked out to the staff room where three other car dealers and mechanic were standing.

“Terry.”

“John.”

“After what happened with that customer just now, I have to fire you.” Everyone was shocked.

“Why? I tried to offer that women a car.”

“Yet, she told you what she wanted, I saw what happened and you didn't even wash your hands before walking out to a customer. You shook that woman’s hand with your greasy hand and with your altitude, I'm not happy about that either. I go clear out your desk.” Terry stood up and walked angrily to the door.

“Another thing, Terry.” Terry turned to John.

“That women you insulted is Major Samantha Carter, United States Air Force.”

“Air Force” one of the workers said knowing that John ex- Air Force.

“Yes and not only that, she only female in history to receive the Medal of Honor. I saw the ribbon myself.” One of the guys whistled.

“That is one medal which is hard to get.”

“I know. She earned that medal and others during the war.”
Then he turned to Terry,

“You should have more respect for any person in the military, Terry.” Terry turned and walked out the door.

“What is Major Carter like, John?”

“She’s a good women and one hell of a solider, considering the medals she has. It’s amazing she reached the rank of major at the age of twenty-three.”

“Twenty-three! That is young” one of the workers said.

“It is.”

“You’re not going to believe this, but my brother worked with Major Carter overseas during the war. I remember him saying, when he got back, that she saved his ass four times and she saved four helicopters full of black ops teams and prisoners that they rescued, she shot down the...MIGs, planes, that were after them. He said that she was wounded during...a dog fight but managed to make it back to base, I think that’s where she got the Medal of Honor.”

“Well, if she was the only one close by and outnumbered, she must be an amazing pilot” John said.

“Yeah. What did she buy?”

“A new Explorer.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, she said her husband told her that Ford is the best.”

“Husband? She’s married?”

“Yeah, with twins and another one on the way.”

“What does her husband do?” John smiled.

“He’s in the Air Force, too.”

“I should have guessed.” They all laughed.

On the way back to the Pentagon Sam stopped off at a gas station, to fill the gas tank. She also got a couple of sandwiches and coffee to go. When she returned to the Pentagon, she parked in a parking spot close to one of the doors. When she walked through the door to the Pentagon, she showed the Security guard her ID, the guard stood at attention and saluted.

“Major Carter, Ma'am.

“Sergeant.” Sam returned the salute and walked down the corridor.

That afternoon Sam started designing a DHD computer. That evening Sam walked toward the exit to the underground car park. She walked over to her SUV and unlocked the doors. She got in, and then she started it up and drove to one of the exits, then home.

Sam was lucky that the building she worked in had an underground garage with security cameras in all areas so the security team could keep an eye on the vehicles. When Sam walked through the door of her apartment, she kicked off her shoes and she undid her coat.

Once it was hanging in her closet, she walked to her bedroom where she got changed out of her dress blues. She walked back into the kitchen where she made herself a drink and got something on for dinner.