samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


"General, Sir."

"Major, Jack."

"George, what's up?"

"I came to see what you are doing, Major."

"I'm down loading all the recordings Daniel did when he was on Abydos, Sir... I did up a program when I was at the Pentagon that can get these symbols in order quickly. As you can see, so far, Sir, I have over one hundred gate addresses. With these addresses and the stellar drift adjustment, I can give you between seven and ten a week."

"You can do that, Major?" Sam smiled.

"Yes, Sir."

"Do you need to be here to do it?"

"Yes, Sir. I haven't got the program at the Pentagon. Only what's here, Sir."

"When do you think you can give me addresses to try out, Major?"

Sam turned around and did some typing then she walked over to a printer. When she got the sheet of paper she turned around and passed it to him.

"Here are the first five, General."

He looked at the symbols, then to Sam. "Good work, Major."

"Thank you sir" He turned and walked out the door.

"So how long will you be?"

"Why?"

"Dinner with Mom. I called her, she's expecting us and she called the cleaning service. They are at our place preparing the house and beds should be made by the time we get there."

"What about Daniel?"

"He's coming too." He looked at his watch then at Sam.

"Sam, why don't I go and get Daniel so we can go shopping? You could get an airman to drop you off at home."

"Sure, I'll be at least two hours." Jack smiled, totally familiar with Sam's idea of time passage.

"Great." He leaned over and gave her a kiss.

"Don't forget about time."

"I won't."

"Good, see you at home then."

"Alright." Jack turned and walked out the door. Sam continued working as well as making number of phone calls.

She was so engrossed with her work, she forgot about watching the time until Charlie entered the lab.

"Hey." Sam turned around.

"Hi Charlie, I thought you would be gone home by now."

"I am. Jack asked me to give you a lift home." Sam looked at her watch.

"Is that the time, I was ..."

"Jack said you would forget" he said smiling.

"Sorry. I do tend to get involved in my work. Give me few minutes."

"Sure." Sam saved everything and the copies just in case.

Then she shut everything down and stood up from her work bench and picked up a folder.

"I just need to take this to General Hammond, and then we can leave."

"OK, I'll wait for you top side."

"Sure." They walk out the door as Sam turn off the lights, then they went different directions.

Half an hour later, Charlie dropped Sam off at home. "Thanks for the lift, Charlie. See you tomorrow."

"OK Sam." He drove back down the drive way.

Sam walked up the steps and opened the door and walked in side. She took her shoes and jacket off just as Jack walked through the door.

"Hey, you're late."

"Funny. I was talking to General Hammond. He had to sign some papers for me then I had to fax them to Area 51."

"What for?"

"MALP."

"Ah, come on dinner's ready."

"Good. I'm hungry." Sam walked up to Jack and gave him a kiss then walked past him.

He followed Sam into the dining room that was next to the kitchen. Sam gave her mother-in-law, Noreen, a hug before sitting down to dinner. They all talked and laughed for the next couple of hours. After Noreen left to return to her own place, Jack, Sam and Daniel went to bed since they had to be on base early the next day.

The next morning, Sam helped the refugees with finding out their planet addresses. Once she got them all, she went to see Hammond who was in the briefing room

"What can I do for you, Major?"

"General, I spoke to the refugees and I got their planet addresses, Sir. With your permission, I would like to send a MALP to the first planet, to see if it's safe for the first group to return home." Sam passed him the file. He opened it and reviewed the information, then closed it.

"Alright, SG1 and SG2 you will go with the first group on Major Carter's list to make contact. I'll give you six hours." Then he stood.

"Major, how long will it take for the MALP to be ready""

"It's ready, Sir."

"Do it."

"Yes, Sir."

A few minutes later, Sam was in the control room when the gate started spinning. When the worm hole was formed, Sam used the remote control to send the MALP through the gate to the other side.

"Major, we're getting images now" Walter said.

Sam looked at the monitor and she panned the camera left and right. Then she leaned forward to the microphone.

"SG1 and 2, you have a 'go', stay on alert, trees fifty meters ahead."

Sam watched Jack do his salute. SG1 went first then the first group of refugees went through with SG2. Once they were through the gate shut down.

"I'll be down in the gate room, Sergeant."

"Yes, Ma'am." Sam stood up and walked down to the gate room just as Syler and the other engineers entered.

"OK let's get started." Sam helped put the iris into place and got it tested.

Once it was tested with a hand scanner and back up, she was satisfied. She went to report to General Hammond who was in his office. Sam knocked on the door before stepping inside.

"Major."

"General, I'm happy to report the iris is in place, with a backup just in case of a power outage, Sir."

"So it works?"

"Yes, Sir."

"How do we know if it's one of our teams that is returning and not the enemy?" Sam smiled at that.

"I built a GDO." She passed him one.

"Is that it?"

"Yes sir, there will be red and green lights when the person pushes the codes. When we recognize it, we send a signal back through the gate and it will show green to let them know it's safe to return."

"What if there's a power outage and a team returning hot?"

"There will be a backup, fully charged lap top on standby, Sir."

"You sure out did yourself here, Major."

"Thank you, Sir" Sam said smiling.

"I have some news for you, Major. You are transferring to the SGC as of..." he looked at his watch, "Ten minutes ago." Sam grinned.

"Thank you, General. What about Jack, Sir?"

"The Chief of Staff wants him here, also, as my second in command and leader of SG1."

"In other words, he's not retired anymore."

"No, and he knew about it this morning."

"Oh. I didn't have a chance to talk to him before he left, Sir."

"I see. Is there anything else you need, Major?"

"Yes, Sir. When all the refugees have returned to their planets, I would like to take few days off to sort things out in Washington."

"Your family?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Alright, as soon as the refugees have returned, you and Jack will have a week off to get your family settled."

"Thank you, Sir."

"If there's nothing else, you're dismissed, Major."

Sam walked out of his office and to her lab, where she worked for the next few hours. She returned to the control room few minutes before SG1 and SG2 we due to return.

When they did, they were all laughing. Sam walked down to the gate room and heard what Jack was telling General Hammond.

"George the people are friendly and they love to party, there's no threat. They were happy to have their love ones returned."

"That is good news, Jack."

"General Hammond, they said that we are welcome there any time."

"Daniel, we know why you want to go back there."

"Jack."

"Daniel."

"Dr. Jackson?"

"Sir, they said I can look at their history books and find out which part of Earth their ancestors came from." Jack shrugged his shoulders.

"You can return at a later date. For now…" He turned to Sam.

"Are the next group ready, Major?"

"Yes, Sir." She walked up to the control room, and a few minutes later she returned and passed Jack a GDO.

"What's that?" Ferretti asked.

"It's a GDO; I'll send you all a memo when this is over."

"So what do I do?"

"Press in your code number. It will show up red, and then when it turns green, it's safe to return."

"Why's that, Major?" Kawalski asked.

Sam walked over and pulled down a handle. Every one turned when they heard a noise.

"That is an iris, nothing can get through it. If an enemy tries to get through..."

"Like bugs on a wind shield." Jack said grinning.

"Yes." She raised the handle and the iris opened.

"Cool. So what's the code, Sam?"

"Five, nine, five, eight, two, seven."

"OK." He strapped it to his wrist just as the next group of refugees entered the gate room.

"Excuse me, Sir." Sam walked out of the gate room and up into the control room.

"Major Carter sure is smart, Sir" a captain said.

"Yes she is. You never know what she is going to build next."

"Yes, Sir." They watched as the gate started dialing.

"Jack, three hours this time." Jack turned to the others.

"OK, just like before."

When the worm hole was formed they saw the MALP go up the ramp and through the gate. Jack turned and looked up at Sam who was looking at the monitor. Then she looked up and leaned forward.

"All clear."

"Thanks, Sam." Jack turned to the others.

"Let's get these folks home." They walked up the ramp just as they had done earlier.

Both SG1 and SG2 went through the gate five more times to return the people to their homes. After their last trip, they went to the infirmary to get checked over, and once they got the all clear they left to go home. Teal'c was set up in his own private quarters.

The next day, Jack and Sam flew to Washington to see their kids and to pack for moving back to Colorado Springs. Three days later, there was a knock on the door, so Jack went to answer it.

"Brian, what the hell are you doing here?"

"Hi, Jack. Can we come in?" Jack saw his family with him.

"Sure." They all walked in side.

"Sam, look who the cat dragged in."

"Very funny." They walked into the living room.

"Brian, Alice, this is a surprise." Sam said and greeted them with hugs.

"Please sit down. Would you like a drink?"

"No thanks, Sam... Can we talk?"

"Kids, why don't you take your cousins outside for a bit?"

"OK, come on" Charlie said. Then the seven kids went outside to play.

Jack and Sam sat down across from Brian and Alice.

"What's wrong?"

"Jack... we need a place to stay."

"What's wrong with your place?"

"Our landlord burned the house; we were living in, to the ground. We lost just about everything... we were in the house when it happened."

"Oh. What about insurance?"

"Yes, we have it, but it will be a couple of weeks before we can get the money."

"You said your landlord burned your place to the ground?" Sam asked

"Yeah he's trying file a claim on his insurance; he got himself into money problems."

"Where are you stationed now?"

"Andrews. We've only been here for couple of months. The Base has a Red Cross assistance program, but that takes some time, too." Jack looked at Sam; she looked back at him and smiled. He smiled then they looked at Brian and Alice.

"We know a great place for you to stay...long term."

"Where, who do we talk to, is the rent...reasonable?" Brian asked. Jack smiled.

"Rents nothing, who you talk to is...us. You'll be able to put your housing allowance into savings for the kids, if you want."

"What?" Alice said in shock.

"Yep. Sam has been transfused back to Colorado Springs, working in deep space telemetry and I've been called back to active duty myself."

"Does Mom know about this?"

"Yes, so are you guys still interested? The house will still be fully furnished."

"Yes, we'll take it!"

"Good. The only things you need to take care of are the insurance and utilities."

"How do we ever thank you Jack, Sam?"

"That is what families are for. Now why don't you guys move in, we moving out, so let's go and get our kids." They stood up and hugged each other just as a truck pulled up in front of the house.

"I'll talk to the driver, Sam."

"OK, Jack." He walked away, while they went to get their kids.