samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Chapter 70

The next week, Sam, Teal'c, and Lou hurried to the gate room when they heard, "Unscheduled Off-World Activation" announced over the paging system. They arrived to see Mel step through the gate and down the ramp. Sam walked out of the control room and down to greet her.

"Mom."

"Sam." They both hugged.

"It's good to see you! Where's Dad?"

"On a mission."

"OK. So, do you need our help with something?"

"Yes. Is Jack here?"

"He's on the phone, at the moment. Come with me, we can visit while we wait for him."

"How are my grandchildren?"

"They are all doing well. Charlie and Grace are top in all of their classes. Conner is adjusting well to being advanced four grades, and Liam and Leroy are surprising their teacher with how bright they are."

"Just like you were, Sam," Mel said smiling.

"I know. Liam and Leroy are being tested tomorrow."

"Tested for what?"

"Developmental studies to test how smart they are. Connor is already in high school, four years ahead of the other students his age."

"What about the twins?"

"Well, depends on tomorrow's tests. If they are like the other three, they will be four years ahead of their age group."

"They got their smarts from you, Sam."

"And from Jack, too, remember." Mel smiled.

"Yes I know." They entered Jack's office as he stood from his desk.

"Mel, it's good to see you. Where's Jacob?" as he gave Mel a hug.

"He's on a mission," Sam said.

"Oh, so what can we do for you?" They all sat down.

"First of all, SG1 is the top talk of the water cooler."

"Oh, why is that?" Jack asked.

"Cronus."

"Yes, Sam, Cronus, since word has spread about what Teal'c did, many Jaffa are starting to believe that freedom is possible for them."

"That is good news. But I get the feeling that there is something else. What is it?"

"We have Tok'ra operatives in Anubis' ranks. He is sending an asteroid to destroy Earth."

"Sounds like he got Daniel's message," Jack said.

"Yes, that could be it, but why destroy Earth?"

"I have no idea, Sam."

"There's more." Jack and Sam both looked sharply at Mel.

"More?"

"The asteroid, heading this way, is loaded with naquadah." Jack and Sam looked at each other and remembered, from their downloads, what happened to their other future selves and how Sam saved Earth.

"How big are we talking here, Mel?" Jack asked.

"Once hundred and thirty seven kilometers."

"That's big, so what can we do to help?"

"If Sam can make up a bomb with a timer, we can set it on the asteroid and leave before it detonates."

"How much naquadah is there?"

"About eighty percent."

"Sam, what are you thinking?" Jack asked while looking at Sam.

"I've got an idea; it's going to sound crazy."

"Sam." Jack said. Sam turned to her mother.

"How much time do we have, Mom?"

"About six months, why?" Sam smiled then she turned to Jack.

"It will give me a chance to build a super particle beam accelerator."

"Don't we already have one of those?"

"A small one, yes. The one I have in mind would be hundreds of times bigger but... I'll have to build it at Area 51."

"Why not here?"

"I will need a LOT of space, Jack."

"Ah. How long?"

"I don't know; a month, two tops, depends on how fast I can get what I need."

"Give me a list and I'll get it for you." Sam smiled, happy to be talking with a person who could, and would, get things done.

"Thanks Jack."

"Sam, why do you want to build a bigger one?" Mel asked.

"Think of it as a hot knife and the asteroid as butter."

"You're going to slice it into pieces?"

"Yes and remove as much naquadah as possible."

"How are you going to do that? While it's in space?"

"I'll think of something, Mom." They discussed options for another few minutes before Mel left to return to the Tok'ra planet.

Sam returned to her lab and reviewed her first particle beam accelerator design and notes. Then she started writing the list of things she would need.

That evening, Sam walked into Jack office and passed him a file. "What's this?"

"It's the list of things that I'll be needing." He opened it up, raised an eyebrow, then closed it and put it on his desk.

"I'll get onto it tomorrow. For now, let's go home."

"Sounds good to me." They walked out the door together.

"I spoke to the President after you and Mel left."

"Oh?"

"He said to give you whatever you want and don't worry about cost. He also said that if you need any help you just need to let me know."

"Thanks, Jack."

"You can thank me later tonight." He wiggled his eyebrows at her, which made her laugh.

The next day Sam had the day off so she could be present when the twins were tested. Sam watched and listened as each teacher gave the twins different tasks to do and questioned them on different subjects.

At the end of the day, she waited with the twins while the teachers talked among themselves.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Leroy?"

"The questions were easy."

"Too easy," Liam said, making Sam grin.

Then she looked up when the teachers walked over to her. "Mrs. O'Neill?"

"Yes."

"Your sons are very bright, and are very advanced for their age."

"I know, all of my children are very intelligent. The other three have tested well above their age groups."

"Yes, we have read your other children's profiles. Liam and Leroy can skip four grades, if you don't think they will have too much trouble socializing with older children."

"Thank you. I'm sure they will be fine."

"You're welcome."

Sam looked down at the grinning twins. "Let's go and get cake to take home to celebrate."

"Yes!" The twins said at the same time.

They walked out of the classroom talking and laughing with Sam. When she and the twins walked in the door, Jack was there to greet them with hugs.

"I got your text message. Mom and the guests are waiting in the dining room." They walked toward the dining room.

"What guests?"

Then she heard, "Grandma, Grandpa," the twins said at the same time. Sam turned to see Jack grinning, before she walked into the dining room.

"Mom, Dad."

"Surprise!" Sam put the cake on the table before walking over to give her father a hug, then her Mom.

"Wow! So you got a couple of days off?"

"Yep... ah, Sam, the cake!" Mel said.

Sam turned "Jonathan O'Neill, leave that cake alone!" when Sam saw Jack open the lid of the cake box. He quickly let go of the lid when Sam yell at him.

"I'll put it in the kitchen, Sam," Noreen said.

"Thanks, Mom." Noreen went to pick up the box just as Jack tried to open it again, only to get his hand smacked for it.

"After dinner... Jonathan." Jack groaned which made the others grin.

Sam turned to her parents, "Now you know where the kids get it."

"Like father, like son…and daughter," Mel said.

"Yep, shall we?" Sat and enjoyed their dinner while being caught up on everyone's lives.

After dinner, Sam got the cake while Jack got a knife, dessert forks, and plates. When Sam cut the cake, they all saw it was four layers. The bottom was chocolate with cream cheese, which was Liam's favorite. The next layer lemon cake, also with cream cheese filling, which was Leroy's favorite. The layers were repeated, to finish with white frosting on top and the word 'Congratulations' done in chocolate. They all enjoyed their slices of cake.

When it was all gone, Sam started taking plates into the kitchen as well making drinks for everyone. Noreen, Jacob, and Mel left after the kids were in bed sleeping. Jack and Sam went to bed an hour later.

The next day Sam was busy getting all her paper work done since she was leaving for Area 51 the following day to start working on her new project.

Jack flew Sam to Area 51 in the Ancient ship. When they landed in one of the buildings, they were right in front of Harry Maybourne. When Jack uncloaked the ship, Maybourne jumped in shock. Then he saw who was in the ship. He was walking around inspecting the ship when as the door opened.

When he stepped around to the back of the ship, "Colonel Carter is this the ship I've heard so much about?"

"This is the one."

"General."

"Maybourne," Jack said as he walked off the ship.

"May I take a look?"

"Nope." He turned to Sam.

"See you on Friday." Sam smiled as he gave her a kiss, and then turned to see Maybourne screwing up his face.

"Fly safely."

"I always do, Sam." He gave her another kiss before turning around and walking back onto the ship.

Sam watched the door close and heard a humming noise before the ship lifted off the ground and turned around. Jack gave Sam a quick wave before going higher and flying towards the double doors as it cloaked.

Sam turned to Maybourne. "Where are my quarters and which building will I be using?"

"This way, Colonel" Sam followed Maybourne while carrying her duffel bag.

After Maybourne showed Sam her room and gave her a key, he showed her the building designated for her use.

When Sam saw it, she turned to him, "Is there anything bigger?"

"Yes, why?"

"What is there?"

"What are you building?"

"You don't have the Need To Know... so?"

"Follow me." He showed Sam five other buildings. When they had finished looking at the last one, Sam nodded.

"Have all my equipment brought here and if anything is damaged, it will be on your head, Colonel."

"The equipment is your problem, Colonel." Sam walked right up to Maybourne without breaking eye contact.

"It is your base, your responsibility. The clock's ticking, Colonel."

"What do you mean 'the clock's ticking'?"

"There's an asteroid heading toward Earth. I have three months to build something to destroy it before it gets here."

"How big?"

"Over a hundred kilometers." Maybourne was speechless for a moment.

"That's huge. Why not blow it up?"

"Because it's full of naquadah."

"Which means?"

"If it enters this solar system and we blow it up, you might as well kiss your ass good bye, got it?" He nodded.

"Good. I'll be back in ten minutes. You'd better start moving, Colonel." Sam walked out the door smiling.

When she returned carrying a mug of coffee, personnel were walking into the building carrying the equipment.

"Colonel Carter, Ma'am where would like this placed?" an Airman asked.

"On the table, please."

"Yes, Ma'am." Sam watched and directed the personnel carrying the equipment and supplies into the building.

While they were doing that, Sam was unpacking and putting things together. Two hours later, the last box was set on the ground. Sam thanked the Sergeant before he walked out of the building. Sam spent the rest of the day setting up, calibrating equipment, and storing her supplies.

An Airman showed up at lunchtime with a tray. Sam had her back to him, "Yes, Airman?"

"Colonel Carter, Ma'am I have your lunch." Sam turned and looked at the tray then back to the Airman.

"Put it on the table in front of you. Thank you."

"Yes, Ma'am." He set it down, and then he saluted Sam before walking out of the room. Sam walked over and smiled

"Jack, you sneak." Then her stomach rumbled, so she picked up the bowl of fruit salad and started eating it as she returned to her work.

That evening another Airman arrived with her dinner.

Over the next few days, Sam worked on building the super particle beam accelerator.

On Friday night, Jack showed up, he walked across the tarmac with Maybourne beside him.

"General, I'm in change of this Base. You don't give orders to my personnel, I do." Jack stopped and turned to Maybourne.

"I know what Colonel Carter is like... Colonel, I know she will skip meals while she's working on some doohickey. This way she can eat while working."

He walked toward the building where Sam was working, with Maybourne behind him.

When Jack stepped through the side door, he smiled when he saw Sam typing way on her laptop. She stopped, turned, and smiled, and then she turned back to continue typing.

Jack walked over to Sam and looked around at the equipment that was scattered over different tables and parts of the super particle beam accelerator lying on other tables. He saw Sam close down her laptop and close the lid then turn to Jack.

"Ready to head home?"

"Yes, please." She looked at Maybourne.

"Colonel, make sure that there is security here and that nothing is touched, or it would be on your head," Sam said. He glanced around the room and back to Sam.

"By who's orders?"

"The Joint Chiefs of Staff and me," Jack said.

"Alright."

"Good. Come on, Sam, the kids have missed you." Sam smiled since she had missed them too.

"Do you think they missed me as much as I missed them?" Sam gathered up her bag and they proceeded out of the building.