samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back yes please


Chapter 71

Barely an hour later, Jack and Sam walked into the house to be greeted by three of their sons who hugged her warmly.

"We missed you, Mom."

"I miss you too. Have you all been behaving and doing your chores and homework?"

"Yes, Mom."

"Tell me everything you've been doing."

Sam and the boys walked into the living room to talk while Jack took Sam's duffel bag to their bedroom. He returned to the living room where they all talked until the pizza that Sam had wanted for dinner, arrived.

They ate in the dining room then they watched a couple of videos before the boys went to bed. Jack and Sam went to bed not long after where they made love, which they both had missed before falling asleep in each other's arms. Jack and Sam spent the weekend with the boys, filling the time with as many family activities as they could.

On Monday morning, Jack flew Sam back to Area 51. He gave her a kiss before he returned to the SGC.

Over the next two months, Sam worked on the super particle beam accelerator. One day when it was almost finished, the phone rang so the lieutenant answered it. He walked over to Sam.

"Colonel Carter."

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

"There's a phone call for you, Ma'am. It's General O'Neill, and he said it's important."

"Thank you." Sam hurried to the phone.

"Carter."

"Sam He's coming." Sam knew he was talking about Anubis.

"When?"

"Six hours."

"How many are we looking at?"

"Five. I was thinking about the Ancient Outpost." Sam turned to the particle beam accelerator.

"Who told you?"

"Your Dad is here. He came by a smaller ship." Sam though about a plan and smiled.

"Jack, get Dad to send word to his friends. Tell them 'no traveling'. If they are get, them off soon as they can, and see if Dad can get here."

Jack knew what Sam was saying was to get Jacob to send a message to the Tok'ra, to find out if any operatives were on any of the five ships. If there were, for them to find a way to get off, without Anubis knowing, before the mother ships were destroyed.

"Why? Is it done?"

"Almost, but I needed a target for testing. Oh, I'll also need space suit; can you take care of that?"

"Sure."

"Good. Meet me here when you get it and I'll explain the plan."

"Ok. Sam, I hope there's a backup plan."

"Of course there's a backup plan, Jack. See you soon."

She returned to the device and continued working on it until she heard footsteps. She turned to see a number of men and Colonel Maybourne walking over to her. Sam recognized the men as being from the NID.

"What's going on?"

"We are taking that," one of the men said as he pointed to the particle beam accelerator.

"No, you're not. First: it's not finished and second: you have no right coming in here telling me you're taking my equipment, and third: I have to get it finished within the next five hours."

"Why?" a colonel asked.

"There's a Goa'uld coming."

"You're just saying that," Maybourne said. Sam walked up to stand right in his face.

"If you don't believe me, call General O'Neill. I just spoke to him half an hour ago. He got word that the Goa'uld is coming and that particle beam accelerator" she said pointing to the device, "hasn't been tested, I need test subjects and the Goa'uld mother ship is perfect target."

"What is it really for?" one man asked.

"There's a large asteroid heading this way." They turned to the voice.

"General O'Neill, what are you doing here?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing, Simmons." He walked over to where Sam was standing. He raised his eyebrows.

"They want to take the super particle beam accelerator."

"Really?" He turned to the eight men.

"Well, if you want it you will have to kill us." One of the men pulled out his gun.

"That's no problem."

"So you are willing to murder two highly decorated officers, one of whom is perhaps the smartest person on the planet?"

"Yes."

"You better think again," he nodded his head, indicating something behind them.

Then they heard noises so they turned to see at least thirty SGC personnel pointing their weapons at them.

They turned to Jack. "We want that weapon."

"Not going to happen."

"Jack, I'm here," they heard over Jack's radio.

"Open the doors," Jack called out.

Then they watched the doors open and they heard a noise but saw nothing. Every one look around then jumped when they saw a Goa'uld ship uncloak. Sam walked over to the side of the ship, and then a man walked off and gave her a hug.

"Hi, Sam."

"Hi, Dad."

He looked around, "What's going on here?"

"The NID want to take the super particle beam accelerator."

"I see." Then he said, quietly, "Which one is Colonel Maybourne?"

"The one close to Jack, why?"

"Watch." He gave her a wink and walked over to Jack. Sam followed until Jacob stood in front of the colonel.

"Who are you?"

"Colonel Maybourne."

"This is Major General Carter."

"Carter, your father?"

"Yes, and his friend, Selmak." Maybourne and the others jumped in shock when they saw Jacob's eyes glow.

"I've heard a lot about you Colonel Maybourne," Selmak said.

"Ah... ah."

He turned to Sam. "Colonel Carter it is good to talk to you once again."

"Likewise, Selmak."

"Is this the particle beam accelerator I've heard so much about?"

"It is."

"Does it work?"

"It needs to be tested and I was thinking: What could be a better test subject than a mother ship?"

"Sam, what if it doesn't work?" Jacob asked.

"Plan 'B', Dad."

"And that is?"

"Hopefully you won't need to find out. Jack, can you do something about these people? I have work to do."

"Sure. Want to help... Dad?"

"Why not?"

"Boys place these men under arrest."

"What for?" Simmons asked.

"For one: conspiracy to murder of Colonel Carter and myself, and two: attempted theft of government property. How about that for starters?" Jack gave the SGC personnel a nod.

Sam watched as the NID men were led away. She returned to work.

When finished, she turned to see Teal'c standing guard next to the door. He gave her a small bow, which she returned. Then she walked over to the cargo ship.

She worked there until she heard, "Sam?"

"Dad, Jack."

"What where you doing in the cargo ship?" Jacob asked.

"I came up with a way to increase the shields and cloak."

"Why?"

"Dad, when you fly out of here you will be carrying the super particle beam accelerator under the ship. You will need to be able to cloak both the ship and the device. The changes will also allow you to shield the particle beam accelerator when you go through the atmosphere."

"How?"

"The shields are like a bubble. What's going to happen is the bubble is going to expand around the particle beam accelerator, as well, to protect it."

"OK. But how are you going to fire it?"

"I asked Jack to get me a space suit. What I'm going to do is suit up and sit at the back of the Ancient ship. Jack can follow you out in to orbit. As soon as Anubis has arrived..."

"He's here now, Sam," Jack said.

"Now?... OK, as I said, when we are out in orbit, Jack can help me with the helmet, then he's going to close the door to the front of the ship and open the back door close to the particle beam accelerator. Once I'm attached to it, Jack can move away. We three can keep in contact with each other. You will then uncloak long enough for me to fire the weapon then cloak again. Hopefully, everything will work as planned."

"Well, then we better get moving" Jacob said.

"OK Dad. There's a radio in the ship. Go start the engine and raise the ship until I tell you to stop, and then move it to hover over the particle beam accelerator."

"Ok Sam."

She turned to Jack. "Can you get the suit?"

"Sure. Are you ok?"

"Yes I am. But, I will admit to being just a little nervous with so much relying on this working correctly the first time it's tried." He looked at Sam, squeezed her shoulder, and then turned to walk out of the building.

Sam grabbed a radio and walked over to climb the steps next to the particle beam accelerator. She watched the cargo ship lift off the ground and move toward her.

"Ok, Dad, come forward... stop, go right slowly... stop, now lower... stop."

Sam lifted three thick strong cables and attached them to a hook, which was under the ship. Then she climbed down the steps and moved them away.

"OK, Dad, you're hooked up and good to go," she said into the radio.

She turned to the lieutenant, "Open the doors," she called out.

The lieutenant walked over and pushed a button. The doors opened just as Jack and Daniel walked into the building carrying a trunk between them. Sam watched Jacob move upwards, lifting the particle beam accelerator two feet off the ground. He guided the ship forward slowly until he was out of the building. Next, he cloaked the ship, which also cloaked the particle beam accelerator at the same time. They could hear the Tel'tac take off to depart the base and get into position for the rendezvous with the Ancient ship.

Sam turned to Jack and Daniel. "Ready to help me suit up?" she said smiling.

Jack helped Sam into the space suit. As soon as she was ready, he went to get the ship.

"Sam are you ok?"

"I will be Daniel. I think once Anubis is taken care of, we need to concentrate on the System Lords."

"Yeah, and hopefully it will be the beginning of freedom for all Jaffa."

"Well we know that there are others."

"I know. I was thinking of one particular Goa'uld."

"Who?"

"Moloch."

"How about we talk about it after Anubis has been eliminated?"

"Good idea."

They turned to see Jack flying the ship into the building, turning it around and landing. He opened the door. Daniel passed Sam the helmet.

"Good luck, Sam."

"Thanks, Daniel."

Sam entered the ship and Jack closed the door behind her. She sat at the back just as Jack piloted the ship out of the building. Sam watched as they headed out into space. Once they were above the atmosphere, she stood to see the alien fleet.

"Jacob, I can see you on my scanners."

"Well I can't see you."

"Stay where you are, I'm getting into position."

"Copy that."

Jack stood and walked to Sam.

"Are you ready, Sam?"

"Yes, if the particle beam accelerator doesn't work, use the fire balls."

"Yes, Ma'am." He kissed her softly, and then helped her with the helmet.

Once Sam was in place, "Dad can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear, Sam."

"Copy, loud and clear." Jack returned to the controls, sat down, turned to Sam, and smiled; just then, the interior doors closed. Then Sam started to feel weightless, and then she turned to see the back door open so she pushed herself out of the ship and toward Jacob's ship. She couldn't see it, so she was waving her hands around until she could grab on to something.

"Ok, Jack, I'm good. Dad can you uncloak?"

"Are you sure, Sam?"

"Yep." As soon as the ship de-cloaked, Sam was able to see where she needed to be.

Sam moved her way to the trigger, and then she got her lines and hooked the two on to the particle beam accelerator. She switched on the power and watched the weapon show 'ready'.

"Sam, the ships are heading towards us and seven Tel'tac ships have left two of the mother ships."

"I can see that... Dad, turn right, slowly... stop drop shields... fire in the hole," she said then pushed the trigger just for one second.

Jack, Jacob, and Sam saw a large red light leaving the particle beam accelerator and hitting the shields of the first ship. It went right through the shields and through the ship to the other side. Just as the beam went into the second ship, the first one exploded. The beam went through four of the ships causing them to explode.

"Wow! Sam here come the others." He turned to the left.

"Stop... drop shields... fire in the hole." She fired it again.

The beam blew up the two more ships. She fired a third time and destroyed the remaining ship.

"A Tel'tac left the ship. Well done Sam," Jack said.

"Thanks, you can come and get me now, Jack."

Sam saw him uncloak the ship and turn it around as the back door open. She unhooked her cables from the particle beam accelerator and pushed herself to the ship. She grabbed the floating rope and pulled herself into the compartment.

Once she was in, "Close the door, I'm in."

Sam waited then she felt herself dropping to the floor, so she turned herself so that she was standing just before her feet touched. When they did, she turned toward the inner door and waited. Just a few seconds later, the doors opened and Jack stepped toward her.

"Hey. Here let me." Jack removed the helmet and kissed her.

"Alright you two, break it up." Jack broke the kiss and turned to see Jacob looking at them through the portal, with grin on his face.

"I'll see you both back at Area 51. Don't be too long." Sam waved then she let Jack remove the gloves.

"You left a mess up here."

"I bet I did," she said as Jack helped her out of the suit.

They moved to the front and sat down. "Wow. That is a mess. I'll have to think about a way to salvage anything that might be of use. Those mother ships have lots of gold in them, you know."

"Yeah. That might help pay the bill for your doohickey! Let's go home."

"Sounds good to me."

"At least Earth is safe... for now."

"Yeah, for now. Sam, how are you going to get the beaming thing through the gate?" Sam smiled

"Pull it apart and put it back together. Don't worry. It will take about eight hours to pull it apart and reassemble it."

"Cool."