samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Chapter 84

One day, when SG1 returned from four days off world they were laughing. When they stopped and looked around Sam knew right away that something was wrong. Then Colonel Dixon walked into the gate room.

"Dave, where's Jack? What's going on?" Sam asked.

"He has been arrested."

"What, what for?" Daniel asked.

"For shooting Senator Kinsey."

"But he's in jail," Lou said.

"Not any more, all charges against him were dropped... The government found nothing on his computer. They said his computer was checked out and whoever it was who used his IP address and e-mail address to forward the evidence, had done it to frame him."

"Jack wouldn't shoot Kinsey. I know he hates him but not enough to shoot him... something's not right," Sam said.

"I know, but what can you do?"

"Go and find out what the hell's going on. Jack has been set up, but by whom?" Sam said as she walked out the door.

"You think the General's been set up?" Lou asked Daniel.

"Yes, and if Senator Kinsey is behind it, Sam will find the evidence." Daniel walked out of the gate room.

Sam spent the next three days finding out who the true shooter was. She even went to Washington to talk to Major Davis and Agent Barrett. Between the three of them, they found out that Senator Kinsey set up Jack.

Sam tracked down the real gunman and got the evidence from the guy before another sniper shot him. Sam was pleased she had chosen to meet the person in a park where there were other people around.

Sam ran to and behind a tree that was close by while other people were running around scared. Sam got out her phone.

"Major Davis."

"Major, it's Colonel Carter, we have a situation. A sniper took out the guy who was hired to imitate Jack. He's been shot, there's a sniper in the area."

"Are you ok?"

"I'm pinned down." Then Major Davis heard another shot.

"I'll get help there as soon as possible."

"Ok get some people on the buildings west of where I am. That's where the shots are coming from."

"Alright." She hung up and looked around the tree when another shot just missed her.

She stayed where she was until she heard sirens. When the police arrived at the scene, Sam stayed where she was until a cop said, "Come over here, Miss."

Sam shook her head. "If I move from here, the sniper will get me."

Sam had raised her bag to her head and moved it from the edge of the tree. Then a shot hit the tree, causing the cops to pull their guns and look around. The cop that Sam had been talking to looked from where he was. He looked at Sam.

"See what I mean, I'm the target."

"Who are you, Miss?"

"Colonel Samantha Carter, United States Air Force."

"I remember you being on the news a couple of weeks back. Your husband just killed Senator Kinsey."

"It's not true. That guy on the park bench, he told me he was hired to look like my husband and to kill the Senator," Sam yelled out.

"Have you got proof?" Sam showed the police officer a tape recorder.

"He had just finished telling me everything when he was killed. And whoever it was tried to kill me, too."

"Why?"

"My husband, General O'Neill, is innocent. This evidence can prove that, who is really behind it, and why."

"Who is it?"

"I can't say. It's classified." Then Sam's phone rang.

"Carter...ok hang on."

Sam took a deep breath and moved her shoulder around the tree. Then there was a shot. Sam moved back and put her hand up on her shoulder then she lifted her phone to her ear.

"Did you find him... yes in the shoulder... get him and let me know when it's all clear... good." Then she hung up and leaned against the tree.

"Are you ok, Colonel?"

"Yeah, I've had a lot worse. I have people locating the sniper now." Sam took a deep breath.

Five minutes later, her phone rang just as four Air Force vehicles arrived.

"Carter... is he... thanks."

She then moved away from the tree. "They got the sniper."

"Colonel Carter?"

"Major Davis, did you get him?" Sam walked over to him.

"Yes. Now let's get you to a hospital."

"Good idea, then we'll get Jack out of jail."

He followed Sam to the ambulance where he got in with her. "We have a security detail with us between here and the hospital, just in case."

"Good idea." The paramedic worked on Sam's shoulder while they headed to the hospital.

"What did General Ryan say?"

"He wants to see you and General O'Neill at the White House. The President wants to publicly apologize to you both, and Senator Kinsey wants to see you both after being at the White House."

"Fat chance of that happening. We know how Jack feels about him."

"I know, Colonel, but it's an order from General Ryan."

"You know this is what Kinsey wanted so he could be the next President and if that happens... the shit's going to hit the fan."

"I know, but what can we do?" Sam smiled.

"I have an ace up my sleeve, Major."

"Colonel?"

"The messages you received few weeks ago?"

"Yes?"

"I received them and more."

"Yeah, I think whoever it is, has enough on the Senator to put him away for a long time." Sam thought about it then looked at the major across from her.

"That's why whoever it is wants Jack out of the way and me dead."

"You think...?" Sam nodded.

A few minutes later, accompanied by the security detail, Sam was in the Emergency Room where the staff were checking her wound and making sure it was bandaged securely. While she was still there, Daniel ran in carrying Sam's bag.

"Sam."

"Daniel, I'm fine it's just a scratch. How did you get here so fast?"

"Our friend gave me a lift." He raised his eyes to the ceiling then looked back to Sam.

"Talk about timing."

"I know. Lou's gone to see Jack."

"Ok."

"What happened?"

"Later." Daniel looked around.

"Oh." They talked for few minutes then the doctor turned to Sam when she was finished.

"You were very lucky, Colonel Carter."

"I know, thank you, Doctor."

"I want you to take things easy for the next few days." Daniel snorted which caused the doctor look at him.

"I know Sam. She won't take things easy."

"Oh, she will, if I order her to." They all turned to the voice.

"Jack!" Sam got off the bed, ran into his arms, and hugged him. He wrapped his arms around her waist. When they pulled apart, he gave her a kiss.

"I mean it, Sam."

"I know, let's get out of here."

"Good." Then he looked up at the shocked doctor.

"Thanks, Doc."

"You're welcome, General."

They all got into different SUV's and headed to the White House. On the way, Sam changed uniforms even though her shoulder was sore and in a sling. By the time they reached the White House, Sam was in her dress blues.

A few minutes later, Jack, Sam, and Major Davis walked into the President's office.

"General, Colonel, Major."

"Mr. President, we should stop meeting like this people are going to talk," Jack said. The President laughed.

"Good one, General." Then General Ryan walked into the room.

They all sat down on the sofas. "Colonel Carter, I've watched the recording that you sent to me. It's a shame that the guy is dead, without him we can't arrest Senator Kinsey."

"I know, Sir, but there's got to be someone who's willing to testify."

"What about the other sniper?" Jack asked.

"He's dead. Sorry, General, he swallowed an arsenic tablet when our people went to arrest him," Major Davis replied.

"Great, back to square one... now what?" Jack wondered.

"There's nothing much we can do about Senator Kinsey, but for you General and Colonel Carter there is something I can do for you."

"The public apology," Sam said.

"Yes... now, in fact, shall we?" They stood and walked out of the office.

A few minutes later, the four of them walked into White House Press Room. The President stepped to the podium.

"Today, I'm here, with General Ryan, to apologize to two Air Force officers." Then he turned to Jack and Sam. They both stepped forward just as General Ryan stood next to the President.

"General O'Neill, Colonel Carter on behalf of myself, this country, and the Air Force... will you accept our apologies for what you both have been through in the past few days? Your arrest, General O'Neill, should never have happened, even though the evidence against you was great. Colonel Carter, I'm sorry that it was necessary for you to work to find the evidence to prove that your husband, General O'Neill, was not the shooter of Senator Kinsey... for that we apologize." Jack leaned forward to the microphone.

"Can I think about it?" The President nodded.

"Yes, you can." Jack turned to Sam.

"Well, Sam?"

"Mr. President, General Ryan, I except your apologies," Sam said. Then she turned to Jack.

"Still thinking... I accept your apologies, on one condition."

"What condition is that General?" the President asked as the media held their breath.

"After this, I wouldn't mind some of that yummy chocolate cake that your staff makes for afternoon tea," Jack said grinning. Sam rolled her eyes and shook her head while the media chuckled.

"Yes, that can be arranged."

"Good, let me think now... Yes, I accept your apologies...got you there for a minute Mr. President," Jack said as he grinned, making both the President and General Ryan relax and grin.

Then they all shook hands as the photographers took pictures.

"Any questions?" the President asked.

"Mr. President, is there going to be a full investigation into who really shot Senator Kinsey?"

"Yes. There will be a full investigation into the shooting and the attempted frame of General O'Neill, the shooting of Colonel Carter and the reasons behind it all."

"General O'Neill, can you think of anyone who would do this to you and Colonel Carter?"

"I can think of a number of people who want not just to hurt me but my family. And when that person or persons are caught justice will be served."

"Colonel Carter, how are you feeling?" one reporter asked.

"I'm fine, thank you for asking. Now, it's good that General O'Neill was found to be innocent and the real killers will be caught. As for General O'Neill eating chocolate cake, he doesn't need it."

Jack looked at Sam in shock then he grinned and whispered something in her ear, which made her giggle and blush. Every one saw it and wondered what Jack was saying to her.

"Ok, but just one slice."

"Two."

"Janet's needles."

"Ok you win just one." He turned to the President and General Ryan.

"When are you going to promote Sam? Sometimes she acts like a Lieutenant General."

"And you act like a five year old," Sam said raising her eyebrows causing everyone to laugh.

"See what I mean?"

"I'm sure you can handle her General," General Ryan said.

"I can, Sir, but some days, Oy!" There were a few other questions, which they all answered. Some of the answers from Jack made every one laugh.

When they returned to the Oval Office, the kitchen staff walked in pushing a cart with coffee and cake. When they left, the five of them each got a cup of coffee and slice of cake.

They all talked for the next half hour before Jack and Sam left to go to the hospital. When they got there, Senator Kinsey walked out the door. Several members of the press were waiting. Jack and Sam walked up to Senator Kinsey. They listened as he made his prepared statement and he shook Jack's hand while smiling. Jack and Sam did not smile once.

Then the Senator covered the microphone and turned to them, "Smile, you two. You won me the election." He turned and waved to the crowd and the cameras.

"You're wrong there, Senator," Sam muttered. Jack turned to Sam. She nodded.

"Sorry, we have a plane to catch," Jack said so some of the crowd heard. They turned and walked away.

"Let's get the hell out of here, Kinsey makes me sick," Jack said.

Some of the media who were close by heard what Jack said to Sam and wondered what he meant by it.

They walked over and got into the waiting SUV then they left for Andrews Air Force Base.

On the trip back to Colorado Springs, Sam could tell that Jack wanted to be alone, so she left him to go sit elsewhere. Daniel made a move to talk to Jack but Sam stopped him.

"Leave him, Daniel."

"But, Sam."

"Daniel."

"Alright." They talked until the plane landed at Peterson Air Force Base. Then they went their separate ways.