samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Chapter 90

Janet stepped forward when George opened his eyes. He sat up and put his hand on his chest.

"How are you feeling George?" Janet asked.

"Good, I haven't felt this good in years, who...?"

"Sam." Sam stepped forward and hugged him as she cried.

"You did the wisest thing, Sam." She pulled back.

"Thanks, Uncle George."

"George, when did you last have a physical?" Janet asked.

"Two weeks ago, at the Academy hospital. I got my results back yesterday. The doctor I was in good health, but he did suggest that I lose forty pounds. Other than that everything was fine."

"What about your cholesterol levels?"

"Under 200, as always and BP was 120/70, as always."

"Well something caused you to have a heart attack. If you don't mind, I would like to check your records and test results." Janet suggested.

"Sure, because I would like to know myself."

"Jack, we have to get back to the hospital."

"Ok, Sam, I'll get there soon as I can."

"Ok." Jack walked over to the phone and made the call to notify Prometheus they were ready to beam back to the hospital. Then he hung up and walked back to Sam.

"See you soon." Then in a bright light, Sam and George were gone.

"Well, I'm going to head to the hospital. Jacob, want a lift there?"

"Sure, oh, and congratulations on your promotion."

"Thanks...Connor goes to university next month."

"You're joking! How are Grace and Charlie doing?"

"Great. They're both top in all of their classes and have been helping the ones who are struggling."

"That's good of them."

"It is... Grace has a boyfriend and Charlie has started dating, too." Jack said shaking his head.

"Any one you know?"

"Yeah. Dave Dixon's youngest son. He's a year older than Grace. They grew up together."

"Colonel Dixon from here?"

"Yep, and the girl Charlie's dating is a same year cadet and she's from Washington. They went to school together. Even though they were in different classes. Her brother introduced them when we were living in DC. They kept in contact and met up at the Academy."

"What about the girl's parents?"

"They both work at the Pentagon. I talk to them every now and then."

"Ok, well I'll meet you top side."

When Sam and George were beamed back into the room, Sam went to the door, opened it, and stuck her head out.

"Terri." Terri was at the nurses' station, and lifted her head when she heard someone call her name. She then stood and walked over to Sam.

"How is he?"

"Take a look for yourself." Sam opened the door wider, Terri walked in, and her eyes widened.

"Oh my..."Then she grinned.

"I think Dr. Miller is going to have a heart attack when he sees you Uncle George."

"I bet he is."

Then the door opened and doctor walked in. He stopped in his tracks when he saw his patient sitting up in bed looking healthy, with no need for oxygen or monitors, and with no IV's connected to him.

"What the... what's going on here?" He stepped forward.

"When can I go home?" George asked.

"Ah... I need to run some tests first. But how...?" He shook his head, turned, and walked out the door leaving Sam, George, and Terri grinning.

"I'll take these away and leave you two to talk," Terri said as she took a couple of things out of the room. Sam walked over and sat down on a chair.

They talked until Jacob and Jack arrived, then they all left twenty minutes later since the doctor was ready to run his tests. They said good-bye to George before leaving. When they walked outside, they decided to return to the SGC, so Jacob rode with Sam. When they arrived, Jacob left to return to the Tok'ra while Jack returned to Washington and Sam back to her lab.

George stayed in the hospital for two days before Janet let him go home. Janet had the blood work retested and from George records he did have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and he was borderline diabetic.

The day that George was leaving Janet ran new blood tests. They all came back normal; all his scans showed a normal healthy male. She thought that the sarcophagus healed George in more ways than one.

During the last few months before Jack retired, Sam was busy working at Area 51 on the X303 Odyssey project and the X304 Daedalus project. While she had been working there, Lou had been commanding SG1.

When Jack retired, Hank took over at Home World Security and everyone from the SGC was, again, wondering who would be the new commanding officer. Everyone thought it might be Colonel Dixon, since he was next in line, but he had to take time off since he broke his hip and leg in a football match and would be laid up for at least four months. That made Colonel Kawalski, who now had command of his own SG team, was taking over as acting CO until the top brass decided who it was going to be.

When Sam finished working on the hyper-drive on each of the ships, she returned home. By that time, Jack had been retired for three months. When Sam walked through the door, Jack was there to greet her with a hug and kiss. He took the bags from Sam, turned, and walked towards the stairs.

"Coming?" he asked with a grin, so Sam followed Jack up and into their bedroom.

Sam stopped when she saw lit with scented candles around the room and the covers on the bed half folded. On Jack's side of the bed was a bucket of ice with a chilled bottle of champagne, two flute glasses, and a plate with chocolate covered strawberries next to it sitting on a folding table.

"Wow." Sam said.

Jack put the bags down then walked back over to Sam. They wrapped their arms around each other and kissed passionately. While kissing her, Jack started removing Sam's clothes so she did the same as they slowly walked toward the bed. Once there, Jack lowered Sam on to the bed with him on top. The made slow passionate love, ate the strawberries, drank the wine, and made love again over the next four hours.

Afterward, Sam was snuggling up to Jack and said, "What a wonderful welcome home present, thank you, Jack." Then she gave him a kiss.

"You're welcome, Sam, and it's good to have you home."

"Same here. I missed you and our family and friends."

"I missed you, too, Sam." They kissed once again and they made love again that afternoon before getting up since the twins would be home in half an hour.

The week after Sam returned, everyone from the SGC learned that they would meet their new CO the next day. Again, the rumors were flying, speculating whom the replacement would be.

The next morning, everyone was waiting in the gate room. Daniel looked around. "Has any one seen Sam this morning?"

"I talked to her. She said that she will be a bit late," Lou said.

Then the doors opened.

"Attention!" All the military personnel moved to stand at attention when Hank Landry walked into the gate room and up the ramp.

He stood at the podium. "At ease."

"As you all know, I will be taking over Jack O'Neill's job as head of Home World Security in Washington. In the past six months, the President, Joint Chiefs, Jack, and myself have been going over who is going to be the next CO. Well we have found the best CO that this Base could ever have. After much debate... Attention!" Everyone stood at attention again.

"Without further ado, it gives me great honor and pleasure to introduce your new commanding officer, Brigadier General..." then he smirked as he looked around, "Samantha Carter."

Everyone's eyes popped out of their heads in surprise, and then the doors opened.

Sam walked in and up the ramp. She turned to see Daniel with his mouth open in shock, which made her smile. She even noticed the shocked look on Teal'c's face. Sam stood up at the podium.

"At ease," she said. Every one relaxed.

"I know this was a shock to you all. It was to me also, last week, when I was called to Washington. I know that I will miss going off world, but so you all know that I, and the rest of the SGC, will have your backs if you get into trouble while off world. You all know the motto... no one gets left behind. In addition, I'm honored to be taking on this job and commanding this base. So as Jack would say... now you all know who the new shrub is." Everyone chuckled.

"And, yes, Jack will be stopping by once in a while for a visit... that is when he's bored." They all chuckled knowing that Jack was easily bored.

"Now, with that out of the way, there are more surprises... Lieutenant Colonel Kawalski front and center." Charlie walked up the ramp and stood in front of Sam.

"For my first duty as commanding officer, it gives me great pleasure to announce the promotion of Lieutenant Colonel Charlie Kawalski to Colonel." She and Lou Ferretti pinned on his Colonel eagles.

"Congratulations, Colonel." They both saluted then he walked back to his spot. Sam promoted fifteen officers and Airmen that morning. When finished, she returned to the podium.

"There is only one more thing to say..."

Then Jack walked in the room wearing civvies, and yelling out, "Hey Elliot, Hailey, congratulations on your engagement." He looked around and looked at Sam.

"You haven't told them?"

"I was just about to, Jack." She shook her head.

"Oops," he said grinning.

"I know you all are itching to congratulate the happy couple... Company, dismissed." They all applauded and smiled, and then they gathered around to congratulate the two lieutenants, and say 'hi' to Jack at the same time.

"You and Jack set this up didn't you?" Sam turned to Hank and grinned.

"Yes, Sir, we did. It gives Jack a chance to see every one's shocked faces, he's been watching the whole time from the briefing room."

"Well, from the looks on their faces, it sure was a surprise."

"Yes it was. After all, this place can be full of surprises."

"Don't I know it. How is he handling his retirement?"

"Good. He's spending more time with his mom... all the families are spending time with her... Jack and I have been talking... Soon she might need to go in to a home, but for now Jack and a caregiver are looking after her."

"How old is Noreen?"

"Eighty-five." Hank nodded. They watched every one talk and laugh as they slowly walked out of the gate room.

"I found out while I was in Washington, Jack's father passed away last month... from colon cancer, he was ninety five."

"Does Jack know?"

"Yes, and that his second marriage lasted five years... his wife died from breast cancer. They had two children, one of each."

Jack walked up the ramp and shook Hank's hand.

"Hank, how are you?"

"Good, thanks, Jack."

"That's good. So, Sam, looking forward to sitting in the big chair?"

"Yes, Jack, I am, what are you going to do now?"

"Go and bug Daniel." Sam smiled.

"You go and do that. It's good to have a plan." He gave her a kiss before walking out of the gate room.

"I better go to my office. It's going to take a while for me to get used to it."

"I'm sure you will be fine."

Sam spent a week catching up on paper work and memos. Then she started sending teams off world. It took Sam a while to getting used to being the commanding officer of the SGC. She even told Jack that she missed going off world and working in her lab.

His response was, "Sam I know you miss those things, and now you know what my life was like every time you guys went off world."

"I know, thank you. Jack." Then they both hugged.

"Give it time."

"I will."

Over the next six months, Sam kept herself busy. She called Jack in twice when teams hadn't reported in on time, and the areas they were in were rough terrain. Sam thought that Jack could use the ship and take a team and Janet with him just in case there were any wounded.

Jack returned with the missing teams, both times.

At the end of May, Jacob and Mel returned to Earth. Grace and Charlie were graduating from the Air Force Academy.

The day of their graduation, Sam, Jack, and Jacob wore their dress blues. Even though Jacob and Jack are retired, they still wore them on occasion. When they saw Grace and Charlie, they were all grinning with the rest of the family members who attended.

After graduation, Sam walked over to a civilian whom she recognized. "Professor Monroe." He turned and smiled.

"Sam, how are you?" They both hugged.

"I'm good. How about you?"

"I'm good and look at you! Brigadier General, I'm proud of you."

"Thank you... how did Charlie and Grace do?"

"Both were tops in their classes and just like you won every award, but as for grades you still have the highest score."

Sam grinned. They talked for a few more minutes before Sam walked over to another instructor and spoke to him, then she went to find her family. When she did, she saw Jack talking to a young man in dress blues. They were off to one side, talking quietly.