samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back yes please. Please have a box of tissues on hand for this chapter and the next one


Chapter 95

When Grace and James returned, they got out of Jack's car, walked to the back, opened it, and got out the bags of groceries. Grace put her hand on James' arm to stop him.

"Grace, what is it?"

"We're being watched." They looked around and saw a black van down the road. Grace shook her head.

"Damn those NID."

"We should tell our Dads."

"Good idea. Come on before the ice cream melts."

"Oh if it does, I'm sure I could find some use for it." He waggled his eyebrows at her.

"I'm sure you could, come on."

Grace shook her head and they got the groceries, closed the back door of the car, and walked up to the house. Grace pushed the button to lock and set the car alarm at the same time. They walked inside and into the kitchen where they saw Teal'c.

"Teal'c." He turned.

"Grace Dixon, are you alright?"

"Yeah, just the damned NID are watching us." They saw the look on Teal'c's face.

"Where are they?"

"Five houses down, black van." Teal'c started walking to the front door. Grace grabbed his arm.

He stopped and turned to Grace. "Not without back up, Teal'c."

"Good idea." He turned and walked out the back door.

Grace turned to James. "Knowing Teal'c, half of the party will want to help out," James grinned.

"True, let's get these things put away." They had almost finished when they heard voices.

They looked out the window to see a number of SGC personnel following Jack and Dave to the front of the house. Sam walked quickly inside and into the kitchen.

"Grace, what going on?"

"NID are watching us, don't they ever give up?"

"Is that why over half of the party goers are walking around to the front of the house?"

"Yes I told Teal'c to take back up with him."

"You should have said how many, Grace."

"Mom, you know what it's like, you tell one person and within minutes every one knows."

"Good point."

"I'm going to go and find out who they are, now that everything is put away," Grace said as she gave James a kiss when she walked past him.

James looked at Sam. "Like father like daughter." Sam laughed.

"Yeah, I hope you know what you were getting yourself into when you married Grace."

"Yes I do." They walked out the back to talk to the other guests who were wondering what was going on.

When Grace walked down to where the men were, she could see that they had surrounded the van. When she got close, the guys let her through. Then she saw Teal'c looking at one guy who had his back to the van. Grace put her arm on to Teal'c. He turned to Grace, gave a slight bow, and stood back.

Grace turned to the guy, "Who are you?"

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I asked first. Who are you and why are you watching my house" Then she heard Jack at the back of the van.

"Damn. We need Sam, she understands this stuff."

Grace walked around the back to see some of the men watching three other guys. She turned and got into the back of the van.

"Grace what are you doing here?" She looked around then turned and walked out. She walked around to the three guys and stood in front of one. She pulled back his jacket and removed a black wallet, opened it, then closed it.

"Dad."

"Yeah, Grace." He got out of the van and walked over to her.

"Can you give General Landry a call and see if he knows anything about why the CIA is so interested in my house?"

"CIA?" Dave said as he walked over to Grace. She showed them the guy's ID. Jack looked at the guy.

"Care to explain why you are watching my daughter's house?"

"It's classified."

"Bullshit," Grace said as she stepped forward.

"Who ordered you and your pals to watch my house?"

"Classified."

"How classified?"

"You haven't got clearance." Grace raised an eyebrow.

"Well my clearance is way higher than yours, so start talking."

"You haven't got high enough clearance." Grace turned to Jack.

"Dad, make the call." Then she turned to the guy.

"I'm sure General Landry from Home World Security would like to know what's going on. Especially since the CIA is forbidden from conducting operations within the borders of this country." Jack pulled out his phone.

"You know General Landry?" another guy asked.

"Yes, I do and so does my father, retired General O'Neill." Their faces went white.

"Ah, so you know who my father is."

"Yes we do. We've heard of him but never meet him."

"Well that's him on the phone right now. So, care to tell me what's going on?"

"All we were told was that you had been passing classified information to the Russians." Grace raised an eyebrow.

"What a load of crap, for starters: I haven't met any Russians and what classified information are you talking about?"

"That is all we've been told." Grace turned to Jack who had just ended his call.

"Hank's not happy and is going to look into it. For now, we let these guys do their jobs."

"Great, some welcome home, eh Dad?"

"Yeah. Come on before Sam sends out a search party."

"Very funny, Dad." She walked to the side of the van.

"Teal'c, come on. General Landry will take care of these guys." Teal'c followed Grace back to the house.

Then the others did as well. When they entered the back yard, James walked over to Grace.

"Grace?"

"It wasn't the NID, it was the CIA."

"CIA, why are they interested in us?"

"Someone told them that I've been passing classified stuff on to the Russians."

"You're joking!"

"Yeah, don't worry about it. Dad got General Landry on to it."

"Ok so hungry?" He lifted half a hot dog to Grace; she smiled and took a bite of it, and then she gave James a kiss as she took his bottle beer out of his hand and drank half of it. As she passed it back, she let out a loud burp.

"Sorry!"

"You will never change, Grace."

"But you love me still." She gave him a kiss.

"Yes I do." He gave her a kiss back.

The rest of the evening turned out great for them all. A few hours later, every one left and the place had been cleaned. Grace and James finally went to bed. They both were tired after a long flight and welcome home party.

The next day they went shopping and visiting since they were off work until the following day. When they did return to work, they went to find out what been happening while they were away and things returned to normal as normal can be.

Two days later, Grace and James found out that the CIA informant had gotten incorrect information, so now they could relax, which they were happy to do.

Over the next few months every one keep busy as always till one day Sam got a phone call with some bad news. When she hung up, SG18 was waiting for her in the briefing room. James could see something was wrong so he walked into the doorway.

"General, are you alright?" She looked up with tears in her eyes.

"I just got a call from Home World Security... two hours ago Catherine passed away, Ernest passed away an hour ago after hearing the news about Catherine." James walked in and sat down.

"Professor Littlefield and Professor Langford?"

"Yes... can you go and tell Grace and Charlie, I have to call Jack."

"Sure." Then he stood.

"What about Daniel and...?"

"I'll tell them, please."

"Sure, and the briefing?" She looked out the window.

"Cancelled."

"I'll tell them."

"Thank you." He walked out of the office.

"The briefing has been cancelled."

"Why?"

"General Carter will tell everyone later... I have to go." Then he turned and walked quickly out the door.

When he got to the elevator and the door open, he saw his father just about to exit.

"Dad."

"James, what's wrong?" James stepped into the elevator and the door closed, he pressed a button.

"James?"

"General Carter received some bad news... Professor Littlefield and Professor Langford passed away with an hour of each other. General Landry called to give her the bad news. She wanted me to tell Grace and Charlie."

"Oh no, what about SG1?"

"Can you do it Dad?"

"Sure." Then the doors opened and James stepped off and walked down to the lab. When he saw an Airman, "Airman," the guy turned and stood at attention.

"Yes, Sir?"

"Can you go find Lieutenant O'Neill, Charlie O'Neill? Tell him to meet me in the Science Lab it's very important. Check the gym or mess hall."

"Yes, Sir." Then he walked away quickly. As James walked into Sam's old lab, he could hear Jennifer and Grace talking.

"Hey." Grace turned and looked at her watch.

"Aren't you supposed to be in a briefing, James?"

"It's been cancelled... Captain, can I have a word with Grace, Ma'am?"

"May I ask why, Lieutenant?"

"Please, Captain."

"Alright, no smooching. I'll give you a couple of minutes, Lieutenant."

"Thank you." She walked out of the lab but stopped so she could hear what was said.

"James, what's wrong?" James walked around the bench and held on to Grace's hands.

"Your Mom got a call from General Landry... it's bad news." Grace sat down on a stool behind her.

"What bad news?"

"Professor Littlefield and Professor Langford passed away over an hour ago; they died within an hour of each other." Grace started to cry.

"No, it can't be. They were fine the last time I spoke to them, what happened?" James pulled her into a hug.

"I don't know the details; your Mom would have spoken to your Dad by now."

"What about... SG1?" They pulled apart.

"I told Dad about it on the way here. He's on his way to tell them."

"Charlie?"

"He should be here any minute. I sent an Airman to track him down." She nodded as she wiped away the tears.

"I can't believe that they are gone."

"I know." He hugged her once again.

Jennifer was shocked when she heard what James said. She had met Catherine and Ernest many times, including talking with them at James and Grace's wedding. She turned and walked down the corridor.

When Charlie walked into the lab, he could see Grace been crying. "James, Grace what's wrong?"

"Catherine and Ernest died," Grace said.

"What... when?"

"Over an hour ago, General Landry called to tell your mom a few minutes ago."

"Ok... they're gone," he said in shock as he sat down.

"Yeah."

While they were all lost in thought, Jennifer walked into the Infirmary where she saw Janet talking to couple of the nurses.

"Captain, are you alright?" Janet asked.

"Professor Littlefield and Professor Langford passed away."

"What, who told you?"

"I overheard Lieutenant Dixon tell Lieutenant O'Neill... General Landry called General Carter with the news."

"Why did you come here?"

"General Carter might need someone to lean on until Jack gets here and since you both are friends…"

"I understand, thank you, Captain." Jennifer turned and walked out the door.

She walked down to the women's locker room where she freshened up a bit before returning to her lab. When she arrived, Grace was still in James' arms and Charlie was sitting on a stool.

She walked in and sat down, she looked at Charlie who was in shock and James who was looking at her while rubbing Grace's back.

"I heard what you told Grace... if it wasn't for them... I wouldn't be here... hell I wouldn't have been in the Air Force."

"I know... if it wasn't for Catherine's father finding the Stargate, who knows where we all would be today," Charlie said.

"Good point," James said.

They were lost in their own thoughts when SG1 walked into the room. They were also in shock with the news.

"Dave just told us," Daniel said.

"We know," James said.

"Has any one spoken to Sam?"

"Yes, she told me before she called Jack."

"In other words he could be here any time?"

"Could be." Grace pulled back from James.

"I'm going to see Mom." She stood up and walked out of the lab.