samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please. Plus have a box of tissues on hand for this chapter


Chapter 96

When she walked into Sam's office her father was there holding Sam in his arms. He turned to see Grace.

"James told me."

"Come here," Jack said. Grace walked up and hugged them both for a few minutes before they pulled apart.

"Are you ok now?" Jack asked Sam.

"Yeah, it's just a shock that's all."

"I know what you mean."

"I'll leave you two alone." Grace walked out the door.

She walked down to the control room where she sat at one of the computers typing a message. Then she started dialing a gate address.

"Lieutenant, what are you doing?" Walter asked.

"I'm sending a message to the Alpha Site." He stood and walked over to Grace.

He read the message and was stunned. When the wormhole was formed, she sent the message, and then the gate shut down.

By that time, Sam had run down the stairs. "Who dialed the gate?"

"I did, I sent a message to the Alpha Site and asked them to pass it onto the Beta Site and the Tok'ra."

"You should have asked Grace."

"I know but you were in shock, Mom... I think it's time to let everyone know before word gets around."

"Good idea." She stepped forward and turned on the PA system.

"This is General Carter... I have some bad news to share... Professor Catherine Langford and Professor Ernest Littlefield passed away over two hours ago...For you new members who don't know who they were, Professor Langford was the owner of the Stargate."

She turned to Grace and then said, "There will be a memorial service in the gate room in few days in honor the two friends who brought not just the Stargate but all of us together... that is all" She turned it off and turned to Grace.

"I want to go to her funeral, Mom."

"I know you do. Soon as I know when it is, we will make travel arrangements."

"Thanks, Mom." Then she turned to Walter.

"Sergeant, please recall all off world teams."

"General Carter, SG2 is due back in two hours, Ma'am. SG8, 12 and 15, 21 and 22 are still off world."

"Recall all but SG2."

"Yes, Ma'am." She turned and walked to the steps and back up them. Grace returned to the lab.

When SG2 returned, Charlie walked into the gate room. When SG2 walked down the ramp laughing, "Hey, Charlie, what's wrong?" Kawalski asked.

"I have some bad news for you all... Professor Catherine Langford and Professor Ernest Littlefield passed away a few hours ago."

"What?" one of the lieutenants said in shock.

"What happened?" Kawalski asked.

"I don't have any details."

"How are the family and SG1 handing it?" Kawalski asked.

"Just like everyone else... shocked. Mom recalled all teams a couple of hours ago."

"Why not call us back then?"

"You were due back now."

"Oh."

"Mom said that debriefing will be held tomorrow."

"Thanks, Charlie." They all walked out of the gate room.

Over the next few days, every one reminisced about Catherine and Ernest. When Sam had details about the funeral, he had Connor flown from San Francisco to Washington for the services. Sam, Jack, Grace, James, Charlie, Leroy, Liam, Kawalski, Daniel, and Lou flew together from Peterson Air Force Base to Andrews Air Force Base and were met by security forces to escort them and provide ground transportation.

They met Connor at the funeral since Hank met him up at the airport. The services were held outdoors. Sam and the others were surprised to see Daniel's parents, and the other doctors whom they had met over the years who knew about the Stargate program.

Jack, Sam, Grace, James, Charlie, Lou, and Kawalski all wore in their dress blues. Hank was there in his dress blues as well. After the service, they all talked with Catherine and Ernest's families. They talked of how they had met even though some of it was a cover story.

They all went to a nearby community hall to attend the wake. One of Catherine's grandsons had been watching Grace throughout the service. When he got a chance, he walked over to her.

"Hi, I'm Jack."

"Grace." They shook hands.

"How did you know Catherine and Ernest?" Grace asked.

"They were my grandparents." Grace was shocked.

"Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thanks. So you're in the Air Force?"

"Yes. So are my parents who are here. They also knew your grandparents for years." He raised an eyebrow.

"I know. I'm named after your father."

"I wonder whose idea that was."

"Grandma's and I don't know why."

"Perhaps she had her reasons."

"Could be. What are your brother's names?" he asked looking over to a corner. Grace smiled as one of them walked over to her

"Everything ok here Grace?"

"Yes, Jack Littlefield this is Lieutenant James Dixon, my husband," she said grinning. The guy's face fell.

"Husband?" He looked at her left hand.

"Oh... ah... sorry I didn't know that you were married, excuse me." He walked away.

"He sure looked shocked," James said.

"True."

"Come on, you need to eat something, Grace. I am starting to worry about you. Ever since... the bad news."

"I know."

"Come on. Even if I have to feed you."

"James this is not the time or place."

"Well then." Grace rolled her eyes.

"Ok, you win." James grinned.

They walked over to the table, picked up a plate, and put a couple of things on it. Then they walked over and talked to some of Catherine and Ernest's relatives.

When they returned to Colorado Springs, they all said their good nights to each other before getting into their cars and SUVs and heading home.

The next morning, Jack and Sam got a surprise. Jacob and Mel were on the base. "Mom, Dad" They hugged.

"Hi, Sam, sorry we couldn't be there yesterday for the funeral."

"I know. At least you're here for the memorial service."

"True, how are the kids?"

"Good. Jack's keeping himself busy and out of trouble."

"I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing," Mel said.

"It's a good thing."

"How are Grace and James?"

"Good, they are enjoying married life... been busted a few times in my old lab."

"Doing what?" Jacob asked.

"Kissing."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, Dad, and don't worry I had a talk to them. They haven't done it since."

"Ok." They visited for few more minutes before Sam went to see what was happening in the gate room.

When they held the memorial service, Jack flew to DC to get Hank in the ship and took him back. Afterward, everyone changed out of their dress uniforms and back into BDUs.

When James and Grace were outside the women's locker room, Sam was just about to open the door when she heard, "You know, Grace, seeing you in your dress blues turns me on."

"James, behave yourself."

"What? I can't help it that you look hot and sexy in them."

"I know what you mean, James. You do look hot and sexy in yours."

"Really?"

"Yes. If I had my way, we would go over to that storage room and do the wild thing." James groaned.

"Damn you, Grace, now I'm going to be uncomfortable for the rest of the day thinking about that!" Grace giggled.

"I better go and get changed and so had you, fly boy."

"Smart ass."

"Yes and don't you forget it." Then Grace opened the door.

"Mom!" when she saw who was standing there. Sam raised an eyebrow causing both Grace and James to blush.

"Ah, I better..." He gave Grace a quick kiss before hurrying away.

"Grace O'Neill, you're lucky it was me and no one else who heard what you and James said."

"Oh... sorry, Mom."

Sam walked past her and said, "All the storage rooms on this floor are locked, Grace."

"How did?" Then she saw Sam grin and give her a wink as she walked to the elevator.

Grace thought about it and grinned. "Mother!" She walked into the women's locker room and changed then she met James in the mess hall for lunch.

Three days later, SG teams started going off world once again.

That year for Thanksgiving, the Carter, O'Neill, and Dixon families got together at Jack and Sam's house. It was the first time that they all sat together as one big family. During lunch, Grace look around and smiled while she was drinking her wine.

"Dad?" He looked up.

"Yes, Grace?"

"You know we are one big family." Everyone stopped talking and looked around then to Grace who was smiling.

"You know, you're right, Grace, we are one big family," he said grinning then everyone started talking again.

After lunch, the men went to watch football while the women took care of the dishes. Once done Sam noticed that Grace and James had left to go for a walk. When they returned an hour later, they both were laughing.

"Enjoy your walk?"

"Yes Mom, after having a lunch like today, walking's good, it helps settle the stomach."

"Well I would have joined you two unless you wanted to be left alone." Grace smiled.

"You could have joined us and anyone else."

"Next time then."

"Yeah, next time." Grace walked past to use the bathroom. Everyone had a relaxing afternoon and a light dinner. Every one left by ten that night since many of them had work the next day.

At Christmastime, Grace and James had Christmas lunch with Donna and Dave then Christmas dinner with Jack and Sam. After New Year's, teams started going off world once again.

At the end of February, Jacob and Mel renewed their wedding vows since it was their 40th wedding anniversary. They had Mark and Sam as best man and matron of honor.

The retired Chaplin conducted the service, which was held at the Academy Chapel. There were over five hundred guests. Some of them were Tok'ra. Then they all went to Cheyenne Mountain Resort for the reception.

Jacob and Mel made sure that the visiting Tok'ra where seated at tables with SGC personnel so they could ask questions about weddings.

Since Jack was at the bridal table with Terri, Grace, James, Teal'c, Daniel, Per'sus, Garshaw, Donna, and Dave were seated together. Both Garshaw and Per'sus were asking them questions about weddings and vows.

Later that night, the Tok'ra returned through the Stargate after an interesting day. Jacob and Mel stayed for a week before returning to the Tok'ra home world.

For Grace and James' first wedding anniversary, Sam gave them three days off as she did with any Base who were married so they could spend the day with their spouse.

A month later, Charlie and his longtime girlfriend, who was due to graduate from the Academy in two months, announced their engagement to Jack and Sam one night.

Jack and Sam were very happy for them and then Sam called Grace and Mark with the news. Within minutes, they showed up with their families and bottles of champagne and sodas to celebrate.

Charlie and his fiancée got married three months later, in July, at the Academy Chapel. Charlie's new wife was a nurse with the Air Force and stationed at the Academy hospital and at the SGC.

A month later, Jack was in town doing some shopping when he saw Connor walking into a jewelry store. Jack was curious, so he walked over to the store and looked through the window. He saw his son buying something but couldn't see what it was. When Connor was walking out of the shop, Jack turned so Connor would not see him.

When Jack turned around, he followed Connor down the street and around a corner. Jack stopped at the corner and watched Connor as walked up to a young girl who was wearing a hat. When Connor kissed her, he took the hat off and put it on his head. Then they wrapped their arms around each other and walked down the street. Jack was amazed when he recognized the young girl.

He returned to his car and headed to the SGC. When he got there, he went to see Sam who was in her office. Jack walked in and closed the door.

"Jack, are you ok?"

"Did you know that Connor has a girl friend?"

"Girlfriend as in hugging and kissing or as in a friend?"

"Hugging and kissing."

"No, why?"

"I saw Connor walk into and out of a jewelry store, so I followed him."

"Jack you didn't..." He shook his head.

"No, he didn't know I was there. He met up with a young girl they hugged and kissed." Sam smiled.

"Connor's got a girlfriend." Jack started pacing.

"Sam... Connor took a cap off her head and put it on his."

"Jack what is it?"

"I recognized the young girl."

"Who was it?" Jack stopped, sat down, and then he looked Sam in the eye.

"Charlotte Kawalski." Sam eyes almost popped out of her head.

"You're kidding."

When Sam saw the look on Jack's face, "You're not kidding... well they are the same age and have grown up together."

"Well that's true. But I cannot believe it, talk about SGC family. Hell, soon we'll all be related to each other somehow." Sam grinned.

"Jack just relax, will ya? Connor's only sixteen. He's joining the Air Force next year."

"I know, Sam. Our kids are growing up too fast."

"I know."

"What puzzles me is: 'why was Connor at the jewelry store?'" He looked at Sam.

"Engagement ring?" Sam smiled.

"No, Jack."

"Then what?"

"It's Charlotte's birthday today; remember we are going to Charlie and Janet's for her birthday party?" Jack closed his eyes and shook his head, and then he opened them to see Sam smiling at him.

"You forgot it was today."

"Sorry Sam. With what has been happening with Mom..."

"I know you're worried about her."

"Yeah... so what are you doing?" Sam grinned.

"Reading memos, you know what those are don't you, Jack?"

"Yes I do, very funny, Sam... Well since I'm here... Cake," he said smiling at her.

"Why not?" Sam stood and stretched, and then she followed Jack out of her office.

Later that night they drove to Janet and Charlie's. They could hear the music coming from the back of the house so they walked around to see every one there.

"Hey you made it," Charlie Kawalski said as he walked over to them.

"Yes, where is the birthday girl?" Charlotte and Connor walked over to them.

"Happy birthday, Charlotte."

"Thank you, Auntie Sam." They hugged each other warmly.

"What a beautiful locket," Sam said when she saw it.

It was an 18kt white gold heart-shaped locket with a Claddagh on the front.

"I know. Look at this!" She opened it and unfolded it until it was shaped like a four leaf clover.

One side already got a photo in it. It was from the prom that Connor had taken Charlotte to a couple of months before.

"Wow, that's amazing."

"Thanks. Connor gave it to me this afternoon," she said smiling.

"What do you think of the locket, Jack?"

"It's different."

"Yes, it is," Charlotte said smiling. Then she and Connor walked over to their friends. Jack looked at Charlie.

"I know what you are going to say Jack. If you think it's serious, well, it's not... well... not until they are engaged. So relax, come on, there's a beer with your name on it in the cooler." Charlie patted Jack on the back as they walked in that direction.

Sam spotted Janet and walked over to her. They both talked and laughed with the other guests.

A month later, Sam received a phone call that shocked her. When she finished on the phone, she called Jack.

"Hello?"

"Jack?"

"Sam, what's wrong?"

"Uncle George died... they're saying it was a massive heart attack."

"What? I thought the box healed him."

"So did I, but I think it was only temporary."

"You could be right, are you sure you are ok?"

"I will be."

"Alright, if you need me there..."

"I know, thanks."

Sam stood up and walked down to the control room where she turned on the PA system. "This is General Carter, I'm afraid I have some bad news... retired Lieutenant General George Hammond passed away two hours ago from a heart attack. There will be a memorial service later. I know most of you want to go to his funeral. When the time comes, I'll be suspending all off world until further notice. That is all."

"Sergeant, can you send a message to all allies and to the Alpha and Beta sites advising them of the news."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Thank you."

Four days later, Jack, Sam their families and just about all of the SGC who knew George Hammond were at his funeral. Mel and Jacob arrived that morning to attend the services. Jack, Jacob and some of the other officers shared some stories about George and how they knew him. The funeral was with full military honors, complete with Air Force jet 'missing man' formation fly over, and a 21-gun salute.

He was laid to rest next to his wife. The wake was held at the Air Force Academy banquet hall, since there were over a thousand people at the services. Later that afternoon, every one left to return home or to work.

The next day, the SGC held a memorial service with off world allies who could attend to it on behalf of their planets or people.

Four days later, teams started going off world once again.

For Sam's fortieth birthday, there was a big party held at the Broadmoor Hotel. Everyone had a wonderful time. There numerous speeches from family and friends, which had every one in fits of laughter.

When James and Grace took their turns, Grace was holding the microphone. "Happy birthday, Mom. We have a present for you."

James walked over and gave Sam a gift-wrapped package then walked back to Grace.

"Unwrap it and read what it says out loud." Sam unwrapped the present.

The ones close by could see it was a tee shirt. Jack was holding a second microphone close to Sam when she read aloud, "Congratulations, Grandma." Sam and Jack eyes widened then they looked up to Grace and James who were grinning.

Grace nodded. "Eleven weeks." Everyone clapped and cheered.

"Well Grace, you sure are full of surprises, I'm shocked, but I'm also happy for you both. As for your father here, give him time."

"I know, Mom." Grace put the microphone down and she and James walked over and gave Sam a hug.

"Transfer paper work is sitting on your desk," Grace whispered before pulling back.

"Granted."

"Do Dave and Donna know?"

"They do now," James said grinning. They turned and walked over to their table and then sat down. They saw the shocked looks on both Donna and Dave's faces.

"You know you two; you know what's going to happen from tomorrow."

"I'm sure you can handle it, Dad, any way you are already a grandfather," James said grinning.

"I know, don't remind me." Other family members got up to say a few words.

Then it was Charlie and his wife's turn. "Happy birthday, Mom... Well, how should I put this? You're going to be a grandmother times two." Jack looked confused. Charlie saw the look.

"Hannah is seven weeks, with twins," he said grinning.

Everyone was shocked with the news, and then they all grinned. None of them had ever had a stranger fortieth birthday party. Charlie and Hannah walked over and gave Jack and Sam a hug.

"Boy you kids are FULL of surprises!" Jack said.

"We know, Dad."

After few more speeches, Connor got up and walked to the microphone, "Happy birthday, Mom. You sure got a lot of great gifts and surprises tonight." Sam nodded.

"Well, I have one for you and Dad... Charlotte and I are engaged, we got engaged on Christmas day, but don't worry it's going to be a long engagement about seven years. By that time, Charlotte will be a doctor just like her mother."

Both Jack and Sam were trying to get over the shocks that their family had dropped on them.

Sam stood, "Thank you all for the wonderful, surprising, shocking birthday today. When my... our kids drop a bombshell, they drop a big one. Grace if you need any advice during the next few months, call me any time night and day, same for you to Hannah... as for you Connor I'm glad it's a long engagement. It will give Charlie and Janet a chance to save for your wedding... well, Jack and I have a surprise for all of you. Only two other people in this room know about it... In two weeks, I'll be transferred to the Pentagon taking over from soon-to-be-retired Lieutenant General Hank Landry." Everyone was surprised with the news.

"Brigadier General... Dave Dixon, who has been my second in command, will be taking over at that time... Well kids you're not the only ones who can drop bombshells. But don't worry; we will still have family gatherings."

Jack put his arm around Sam's shoulders and gave her a kiss. Everyone talked among themselves. They talked to Jack and Sam as well as congratulated Dave on his promotion.

Over the next two weeks, Sam worked on finishing her paper work before leaving the SGC. The day before she and Jack were to leave, there was a family gathering at their place for one last time before departed for Washington where they moved into their renovated home.

Liam and Leroy stayed in Colorado Springs. They alternated staying Grace and Charlie since they only had one year left before college. It took a while for Jack and Sam to get into a routine since it just the two of them. However, they managed just fine. They were able to spend a lot of time together without interruptions.

Five months later, Hannah gave birth to twin boys and on the same day, Grace gave birth to a girl. Jack and Sam were there in time to see the twins since Connor used the ship to get them and flew them to the SGC. Then they took Connor's new SUV to the hospital.

Jack and Sam stayed for three hours before Connor flew them back to the Pentagon, with lots of photos for the new grandparents.

A month later Jack and Sam returned to Colorado Springs for a family funeral. Jack's mother passed away from a stroke. She was ninty-seven.