samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Chapter 2

Jack and Sam talked more about their wedding plans. Jack drove down ‘Hodgen road’ for few minutes until they were just past ‘Volmer road’ where he slowed down then stopped when they saw the For Sale sign.

They got out and walked over to the sign. They looked around to see how far away their neighbours would be, and guessed about the boundaries to get an idea of the shape of the area.

“Well, what do you think Sam?”

“I love it, it’s perfect!”

“Well then tomorrow, let’s go make an offer.” They hugged and kissed.

“Jack, there’s only one problem.”

“Sam?”

“What if there's an emergency on the base, it would take…”

“Hey, everything is going to be fine. Trust me.”

“You know I do.”

“Good, so shall we head back home? We’re going to have a lot of guests showing up at lunch time.” Sam pulled back from his embrace.

“Guests? What guests and how many?”

“Lots of people, mainly family.”

“Jack!” He just smiled and gave her another kiss.

“Let’s go home.”

“Jack, why today?”

“Sam, what’s today?”

“The third.”

“Nope, the fourth.” Sam’s eyes widened.

“You’re joking.”

“Nope, come on we're having a big party.” They walked over to Jack’s truck and got in.

“You better tell me what you have planned for today, Jack.”

“I will.” He leaned over and gave her a kiss before putting his seat belt on and starting the engine.

Then they were on their way back to his house. Jack told Sam what the plans were and who was expected to be there. Sam did some calculations and looked at Jack.

“Jack, do you realize we are going to have over one hundred guests?”

“Yep.”

“What am I going to do with you?” Jack just smiled.

They saw a truck leaving their drive way just as they neared their house. Jack pulled his truck up in front of the house since there were vans at the garage. They got out and walked around to the back of the house to see tables, chairs, and serving tables being set up. They saw four large barbecues fired up and two cooks working back and forth.

They could smell the barbecued beef, chicken and pork. They walked over to the staff to talk to them for few minutes before leaving them to their work. They returned to the front of the house and walked inside just as the phone rang.

Jack went to answer it while Sam walked down to the bathroom where she could relieve herself. When Sam returned, she saw Jack in the kitchen getting a drink out of the fridge

“Want one?”

“Yes thanks.” Jack got Sam her diet soda and passed it to her while he got bottle of water for himself.

“Thanks. Who was on the phone?”

“Daniel. SG2 returned half an hour ago, he and Teal’c will be here in an hour.”

“Ok. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah.” He took a mouth full of water.

“Jack.” He turned to her.

“The higher ups want someone to take over SG1 because you have hardly been on it in the last few months since your promotion.”

“Any ideas who’s going to be assigned?”

“Yes. You might know the guy: Colonel Cameron Mitchell.”

“The pilot who risked his life over Antarctica a couple of years ago and received the Medal of Honor?”

“Yeah, that's him. Do you know him?”

“Yes, he was three years behind me at the Academy.”

“Ah, well he’s going to be taking over.”

“When does he arrive?”

“Next week.”

“Hopefully, I’ll be here.”

“I’ll make sure. Oh, and Haley will be on the team since she’s been promoted to first lieutenant.”

“So it’s going to be a five person team?”

“Yes, but since you’re hardly on the team… you still will be able to go off world.”

“I know.” Jack put his bottle down then he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Sam’s waist while looking into her eyes.

“Sam, what’s wrong?”

“It's going to feel strange…”

“Not going off world with the rest of SG1, watching their six?” He lowered his hands on to Sam’s butt and gave it a light squeeze.

“Yeah. Now I know how you feel.”

“Well, let’s forget about work for today, ok?”

“Try telling that to Daniel,” she said, smiling, as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Yeah, don’t remind me.” They kissed just as they heard a car arrive.

“Who can that be?” They broke apart and walked to the front door. Jack looked through the blinds to see Cassie getting out of her car.

“It’s only Cassie.” He opened the front door.

Cassie looked up as she closed and locked her car. She smiled when she saw who was standing in the doorway.

“Good morning Jack, Sam.” She hurried up the steps to hug them both.

“Morning, Cassie. Are you looking forward to today?”

“Yep, we know how you love a great party, Jack!”

“Just as long as there is cake,” Sam said with a giggle, then Cassie and Sam laughed.

“Hey there's no party without cake!”

“We know,” Sam said. They walked back into the house and into the living room.

“How are things at college, Cassie?”

“Boring!”

“Boring?” Sam asked, surprised.

“Well, yeah, I mean I’ve done two years in one and I graduate next month, then the Air Force.”

“We know that you are smart, like Sam is. Are you sure you want to join the Air Force?” Jack asked.

“Well, I could join the Marines,” she replied, grinning at him.

“No, you are not going to be one of those jar heads!”

“Well then?” She folded her arms while raising her eyebrows. Jack shook his head.

“Would you like something to drink, Cassie?” Sam asked.

“Yes, thanks.”

“You know where they are,” Jack said.

“I know.” She walked out of the living room.

“She’s growing up so fast,” Jack said, not quite whining.

“I know, it seems like just yesterday that she came to Earth.”

“Yeah, I still can’t believe it’s been seven years.”

“I know. Look at her now, Janet would be proud of her for following in her footsteps.”

“Yeah.”

Then Cassie returned, so they sat and talked for about twenty minutes, until they heard vehicles pull up into their driveway, so Jack went to see who it was.

“Family's here.” He opened the door and walked outside.

Sam and Cassie followed Jack and went to greet Jack's family. Since the whole family had arrived, they walked around to the back of the house, talking and laughing. They all got themselves drinks while looking around the yard.

“Mom, Dad, we found some land we really like.”

“That’s wonderful news Jack,” his mother replied.

“Thanks. We’re going to buy it tomorrow.”

“You haven’t bought it yet?” John asked, definite surprise in his voice.

“No. We saw it, for the first time, this morning. It's everything we want.”

“That is wonderful news. How are things at work?”

“Boring.” Jackie laughed.

“You will never change son.”

“Oh, but I have, Mom, I have.” He turned to look at Sam who was talking to a couple of his sisters while smiling, then turned back to his parents while taking a mouthful of his drink.

“We know you have.”

“Can you and Sam make it in couple of weeks for Keith's twenty-first birthday?”

“Yep, we will be there; Reynolds will be looking after things on the base.”

“Good, so are you and Sam planning on having any kids?”

“We haven’t had a chance to talk about that, I know she will want to have them, but…” He turned, again, to look at Sam who looked over and smiled at Jack, then looked back to continue her conversation. He looked back to his parents.

“You’re afraid that you might make the same mistake again.”

“Yeah.”

“Son, talk to her, don’t shut her out like you did with Sara, ok?”

“I will, Dad, I will.” They heard the sounds of another car arriving.

“I’ll go and see who it is.”

He walked around the side of the house and smiled when he saw General Hammond and his family getting out of their car.

“Hi, George, I’m really pleased you could make it.”

“Thanks for inviting us.” They shook hands, and then Jack gave the girls a hugs.

“Is Sam here?” one of the girls asked.

“Yep and so is Cassie. Go on they’re around at the back.

“They sure have grown up quickly.”

“I know.” They continued their conversation as they walked around to the back of the house to join everyone else.

Jack introduce George and his family, then he got them a drink each. They had been talking for just a few minutes when Sam saw her family enter the yard.

“Mark, Jan,” she greeted them with hugs.

“Hi, Sam. How are you?”

“I’m really good, thanks.” She hugged Kate and Rick, too.

“Hi, Auntie Sam.”

“Hi, kids. Cassie’s here, go on I know she would love to see you guys.” They smiled and walked over to where they saw Cassie playing with some other children.