samandjack.net

Author's Notes: Feed back, yes please


Chapter 10

Then there was a bright light and they all were beamed up to Prometheus for a second. The NID men were beamed down and into cells, without their weapons. Janet and Cassie were beamed down into the Infirmary where Dr Warner and his staff were waiting for them.

He quickly barked orders, then the nurses ran over to both Janet and Cassie. They cut the plastic ties off them then they lay Janet on a bed and pulled a sheet over her as she fell asleep. Then two syringes appeared on the bed where Cassie sitting.

“Dr Warner!”

He walked over to Cassie and saw her point to the two syringes. He picked them up with gloved hands, put them in a bag and passed them to one of the nurses.

“Get this to the Lab. I want to know what sort of ‘truth serum’ was used and get finger prints off them.”

“Yes, Sir.” She immediately hurried out of the Infirmary.

“How are you feeling Cassie?”

“Just worried about Mom. I’m going to lie down. Those assholes injected me, too.” She leaned back on the bed just as General Hammond entered.

“Uncle George.”

“Hi, Cassie. How are you feeling?” As he moved over to her bed, he noticed that Janet was sleeping.

“Tired… Oh, Jack and Sam would be so proud of me tonight,” she said smiling.

“Why’s that?”

“I kicked that asshole Kinsey in the nuts! Boy did he go red in the face.” Then she giggled. The nurses heard what Cassie said and smiled.

“Get some rest.”

“Yeasureyabetcha.” She giggled again.

“Hey, want some good news?”

“What is it?” Cassie sat up and she waved the general forward. He stepped close and she grabbed his shirt and pulled him down and whispered.

“Jack’s going to ask Sam to marry him, he got a $25,000 princess cut diamond solitaire engagement ring. I know ‘cause he asked me to buy it for him yesterday and I also got their wedding rings, too.”

Then she let go and lay back down. She saw the shocked look on his face.

“You had probably better find the Tok’ra.” Then she fell asleep.

George stood and looked around the room, and then he turned and walked out of the Infirmary, leaving the puzzled staff standing there.

Jack and Sam had been waiting for five minutes when Jon’s truck arrived. They stood when he got out of the truck and looked around. He saw them walking toward him from behind a car. Jon was shock when he saw Sam. He couldn’t believe that she looked like an eighteen-year-old.

“Hello, Jon.”

“Carter, you look great!”

“Thanks.”

“Come on; let’s get out of here before we have the NID on our collective asses.”

They walked to Jon’s truck, which was like Jack’s. They put the suitcases in the back under the canopy before they got in. Sam was in the back seat while Jack and Jon were in the front. With Jon driving, they pulled out on to the street.

“Which way, Jack?”

“Highway 24 East to I70 toward Kansas City.”

“Ok. So what’s the plan?”

“That’s it to start. We all take shifts driving and stop every three to four hours, for a few minutes, along the way.”

“Good plan. So we’re heading almost due east. Interstate 70 can take us to Pennsylvania and we can go south from there.”

“That’s the plan. There may be someone watching for us, but we figure that if we take a direct route, we can be there in about 28 hours. Of course, that depends on how we feel tomorrow, and if we think it might be a good idea to be rested before we approach DC.”

“Ok. Well the tank was full, just in case. What happened?”

“NID got to Cassie and Doc. We got a text from Cassie. She must have seen them before they got her and Doc.”

“Geez, don’t they ever give up?”

“You know what they’re like.”

“Yes, I do.” They talked for the next couple of hours before Jack decided to get a little more sleep before he took over driving. Sam fell asleep about the same time.

General Hammond walked down to the holding cells, and walked in after the guard swiped his card and opened the door. He could see the men and Kinsey behind bars.

“General Hammond, you let me out of here!” Kinsey yelled.

“Why did break into Dr Fraiser’s house?”

“We want to know where O’Neill and Carter are.”

“You had no right to break into someone’s home, especially an Air Force officer’s home, and drug not just the doctor but also her eighteen-year-old daughter. In the morning, I’m going to be contacting the President about what happened tonight.”

“You will never get a chance to talk to him.” Hammond walked up to the bars.

“That is where you are wrong. I’ve already spoken to him, three hours ago, after he spoke to Colonel O’Neill. He knows what is going on and what you did. He is not happy with the way you abuse your power for personal gain. As for the Colonel and Major, he hasn’t decided what to do with them at the moment.”

“You know where they are, don’t you?”

“No, I don’t, but even if I did know, I wouldn’t to tell you a thing.” Without another word he turned and left the room.

He went straight to his on-base quarters. He was tired and decided to try to get few a hours' sleep. He was about where Jack and Sam were and hoping they were ok.

Jon drove for four hours, and then he pulled over at a truck stop. When the stopped, Jack woke and looked around and then looked at Jon. He could see that Jon was tired.

“Your turn Jack. We should get gas now; we’re down to less than a quarter of a tank.”

They both got out and stretched their legs as they walked around the truck. Jon filled the tank while Jack went inside to pay since they were using only cash for everything.

Jack walked inside the building and back to the restrooms. He stopped for a cup of coffee before he turned to step up to the cashier and identify the pump Jon was using. Then as he approached the truck, Jon headed inside for his turn in the restroom.

Jack got into the driver’ seat and put on his seatbelt. He turned to look at Sam, who was sleeping.

When Jon returned, Jack looked closely at him. “Are you ok, Jon?”

“Just tired.”

“Jon.” He looked at his clone, knowing him all too well.

“I’m glad you and Carter got together.”

“Thanks.” Jack put the truck into gear then they were on the road again.

“Sam and I talked, last night, about you.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. If, and when, Thor shows up, Sam wants to clone herself, so you won’t be alone."

”But she will have her memories of when you two are together?”

“Well, hopefully, Thor can help us out on that one. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

“I’m really grateful that the two of you would want to do that.”

“Get some rest.”

“Ok, Jack.” He leaned back in his seat, closed his eyes and fell asleep a few minutes later.

Jack drove for the next four hours, by that time they were just outside of Lawrence, Kansas. Jack noticed that the fuel gauge was on ‘E’, so he started looking for a good place to refuel. When they were near the airport, he spotted a likely place and pulled up to the pump island closest to the road.

He stopped and turned off the engine. He looked at Jon then at Sam, she was still sleeping. He undid his seatbelt and got out of the truck. He walked around and he did what he normally did every time he went to a gas station. He filled the tank while he had a stretch.

He looked around and saw a Burger King just down the road, and then his stomach rumbled so he thought it would a good place to stop for breakfast and a pit stop. He turned when he saw a man who was in his sixties walking out of the station.

“Morning,” he said.

“Morning.”

“You’re from Colorado?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Where are you heading?”

“West.”

“Friends?” when he saw the two heads inside the truck.

“Family.”

By that time they heard a click of the pump.

Jack hung up the nozzle and put the cap back on, and then closed and locked the cover. Then he got his wallet out and pulled the money out and passed it to the guy

“Thanks, don’t you use a credit card?”

“I do but mine was stolen recently and haven’t gotten the replacement yet. Luckily I have this as back up.” He showed his wallet.

“Good plan.”

“Thanks. Have a nice day, Sir”

“Thanks, drive carefully.”

“We will, thanks.” Jack walked around and got back in the truck. He turned to see Sam was awake. She looked around then smiled when she saw Jack looking at her.

“Morning, sweetheart, hungry?”

“Yeah and I need to use the restroom.”

“Can you wait for a minute? There’s a Burger King not far from here. We can stop there for breakfast.”

“Sounds good to me. What time is it?”

“Almost eight.”

“Ok.” Jack turned and put his seat belt on then he started up the truck, then he drove to Burger King. When he parked the truck and turned the engine off, he woke Jon.

“Hey, want some breakfast?” Jon opened his eyes and looked around.

“Sure.”

“Well, come on then.” They all got out and Jack locked the truck. They walked inside together.

“Jack, I’ll be right back.”

“Ok, Sam.”

“I better go myself,” Jon said.

Then he walked over to the men’s room. Meanwhile Jack was looked at the menu board. When Sam walked back out again, she walked over and stood next to Jack. They wrapped their arms around each other and shared a quick kiss.

“Sam, what would you like for breakfast?”

“Hmm, since we’re not having our usual first course, let’s see.” Jack groaned knowing what she was talking about.

“Damn you, Sam.” She giggled. Then Jon walked out and over to them.

“Have you two decided?”

“I have,” Sam answered.

“Ok. Jon, what about you?”

“Same here.”

“Let’s do it.” They stepped forward to the counter.

“Sam what do you want?”

“I’ll have French toast sticks, ham-egg-and-cheese croissanwich, cheesy tots and orange juice, please.” The clerk entered Sam’s order, and then he looked at Jack and Jon who looked like twins.

“Jon, what do you want?”

“I’ll have the enormous omelette sandwich, cheesy tots, hash browns and orange juice.”

Then the clerk looked at Jack.

“I’ll have the same, thanks.”

Then he told Jack the total, after he confirmed that they wanted their meals to eat there inside the restaurant. Jack pulled out his wallet, removed some cash, and passed it to the guy. While Jack was receiving his change, another worker was putting the food onto two trays then they slid them across the counter to Jon and Jack.

They both said “Thanks” to the staff before they walk over to the booth Sam had selected, and sat down. Jack and Sam sat next to each other while Jon was across from them. Sam had collected napkins, condiments, and straws for all of them. They sorted out their breakfast then they started eating while talking.

“Jon, I was thinking perhaps you can drive until we get out of the city. I’ve came across five cop cars so far.”

“Sure. Are you going to try to call Hammond?”

“It’s too risky. We know that the NID have the phone lines tapped.”

“True. So what are you going to do? Any ideas about you two?”

“I’ve been thinking about that and I have an idea that might work.”

“Sam.” She turned to Jack.

“Everyone knows about the explosion at the research lab in Washington.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, we could say that we were there when the explosion happened and we ended up inhaling some sort of gas fumes, which caused us to look like this within twenty-four hours.”

“It might work, but what if people ask why you were there?”

“Remember the meteorite that was found last month?” she asked looking at Jon.

“Yeah. You two where there to look at it yourselves, because you’re from NORAD.” Sam smiled and nodded.

“Good plan. I think it might work.”

“We hope so, too,” Jack said.