samandjack.net

Story Notes: Matter of Tact 05: E-mail: randomleaves@yahoo.co.uk

Spoilers: Season 7 big one *g*.

Archive: SJD, yes

A/N: Thanks to Emry and Mel and all the eggnog people *g*. Sequel to 'Here and There'.


Dropping down onto the couch by the window, Jack sighed as the pressure was taken off his aching knees. He was officially retired, had been for nearly four weeks. When Sam wasn't around, he basically had all the time in the world to himself.

Why the hell did he still leave the shopping to Christmas Eve?

Well, it was obvious; Jack didn't like shopping. Okay, that wasn't strictly true. He *liked* grocery shopping because that involved food. He liked food. Plus, he was working on trying every single brand of ice-cream there was and it was always vaguely exciting finding the next flavor to buy.

Clothes shopping and present shopping were entirely different. He didn't like clothes shopping. Too many people. Too many choices. Way too many colors, as well, and he never knew what colors suited him. Also when he finally decided he might need new clothes - usually when he started getting holes in his sleeves or his T-shirts became too faded to read the logos on them - it was inevitably during the sales when the whole world descended on the malls.

Ugh.

And Christmas shopping? That was like... clothes shopping during the sales except with a holiday season added and... the horror of trying to find presents for the people you lo... liked. Yeah.

It was done now, anyway. All done. Finito. And he was pretty pleased with his purchases - each one was very definitely suited to the person.

But, next year, he'd do it all in November.

No, really. He would. Definitely.

Cassie, who was standing by the fireplace prodding her stocking while Janet looked the other way, slanted Jack a look. A look that was freakily reminiscent of her mother's patented 'I know you're doing something bad behind my back and I'll get you for it' look.

Seriously. *Freakily* reminiscent.

Jack began to feel slightly uncomfortable.

Holding her one, precious glass of champagne - 'No, Cassie, that's all you're getting and be grateful' - she walked over and slid down onto the couch next to him where he'd been perfectly at peace with himself and the world in general.

Which was really apt considering it was Christmas Eve.

"Hi," she said, grinning at him, the sparkling earrings at her ears glittering in the firelight.

His eyes widened slightly. "What do you want?" he asked, suspiciously.

Cassie rolled her eyes and flicked her hair over her shoulder. "Why does everyone think I always want something?"

It was the flicking of the hair that worried Jack. "I'm not putting in a good word for you with Daniel," Jack said. Bluntly.

She shoved his shoulder. "Jeez, Jack, you used to be fun."

"And you used to be small and helpless."

Her eyes narrowed into tiny slits. "Are you saying I'm big?"

Jack automatically shrank back into the couch recalling, belatedly, that she was technically a woman now and as such prone to... woman like issues.

Uh oh. Huge, massive, *uh oh*.

"No! Not at all!" he exclaimed, his tone slightly squeaky. His eyes skittered around the room until he found Sam's back, nicely displayed in an almost backless black... thing. Trying for a little telepathy, he begged her to turn around and see that he was in danger of being smote by Cassandra Fraiser.

Slowly, Cassie's eyes reopened as she judged Jack to be worthy. Or, you know, she realized he was a poor, innocent and helpless man. Probably the latter. "Okay, Mom tells me you're dating Sam."

Oh... shit. "Yes. I am," he said, proud of the way his voice was steady and the fact that he could actually admit to it first hand.

"What I want to know is....."

The way she left that sentence hanging worried him. "Is?" Jack prompted, unwillingly. Cassie had this tendency to be completely blunt around him which, while he was sure he should applaud her for her truthfulness around him, completely freaked him out. She always ended up embarrassing him. On one memorable occasion she'd asked him why he kept staring at Carter's jeans.

God. He was blushing just *thinking* about it. Quickly, he lifted his glass of white wine - he didn't like champagne - to his mouth and took a sip.

He couldn't imagine she was about to come out with the 'are you having sex?' talk because he'd already had that with Daniel, Jonas *and* Teal'c, all of whom had taken great delight in the conversation and probably told each other the pertinent details. Plus, she was eighteen and there was no way an eighteen year old was going to ask him whether he was sleeping with her... sort of other mom. That would be creepy. And she was way more tactful than that.

"Are you having sex?"

Shit!

*

Sam had just poured herself a cup of eggnog from the pitcher in the fridge when Jack made it into the kitchen. She frowned at him - noting the splash on his shirt - and raised the glass to her lips for a sip, letting the creamy taste settle on her tongue before she swallowed. "Had a little accident?" She winced at the aftertaste, suddenly remembering why she didn't like eggnog, and put the glass down.

He glowered at her and went straight for the sink, grabbing a washcloth and running it under the tap. "Cassie," was all he said.

"Oh boy." She turned back to the fridge and quickly started alphabetizing the various items on the right hand shelf while she waited for her blush to calm down. She, too, had been cornered by Cassie who had asked the question that, over the past three days, every single friend had asked her.

//"So... you and Jack?"

"What about it?"

"Are you... having sex?"//

Talk about humiliating. If it hadn't been bad enough the *first* time someone - Jonas, naturally - had asked, it was certainly far worse when you were being queried mercilessly by a teenager who took great delight in showing up Sam's lack of a sex life.

That is, almost as much delight as her mother.

"I'll bet Janet put her up to it," Sam said, closing the door and turning around.

Jack - who now had a huge wet splotch down his front from where he'd rubbed at the wine stain - looked up at her. "No way."

She walked closer and took the cloth from his hand, wincing at how wet it was. "Jack, you're just making a mess with this," she pointed out, dropping the cloth back into the sink with a wet 'plop'. Pulling some paper towel off the roll, she dabbed at his shirt with her brow furrowed. "Have you been getting a lot of questions from our friends recently?"

"Uh... *yeah*."

"Questions you wouldn't normally think they'd ask?" she continued, tactfully, keeping her eyes on the stain as she thoroughly dried it.

"Mmm-hmm. Sam?"

"Yup?"

"I think it's as dry as it's gonna get now," he told her, sounding amused.

She glanced up and grinned. The wad of paper towel was thrown onto the counter as she wrapped her arms about his waist. He returned the grin and draped his arms over her shoulders. "Having a good time otherwise?" she asked, changing the tone of their conversation completely and temporarily forgetting about their friends.

"Yup. It's nice. Nicer than last year. Coz, last year? Didn't get to make out in the kitchen with you." He waggled his eyebrows suggestively, sending her into a fit of giggles.

Sam hid her face in his shoulder and tried to calm down - she could feel her skin was flushed. "Of course, " she said, turning her head to the side so she could enjoy his aftershave more, "we haven't actually *made out* in the kitchen yet."

Under her cheek, his chest rumbled with laughter. "I know. We should probably... I mean, we should make up for all the times we've been in this kitchen and *not* made out."

She started shuffling him towards the island in the middle of the kitchen, grinning wickedly and looking up into his face. "Oh really?"

"Yeah, really." Jack's hands slid up into her hair and toyed with the ends, his eyes crinkled at the corners. "I like this look you've got going on."

"Are you complimenting my hair style?"

He grinned sheepishly and bumped back against the counter. Carefully, he maneuvered his legs either side of hers and lowered himself down onto a high stool and putting himself a couple of inches below her. "Um... yeah. I am."

Sam tried to stop her grin. She really did. Recently, her cheeks had been aching from how much smiling she was doing. "Thanks, Jack."

"My pleasure, *Sam*," he teased, his head moving forward, eyes dipped to her mouth.

"Hey, I'm getting be... umm." Man, he moved fast! Quick as a flash, he was standing up, sliding his hands down to her waist and gripping her hips, pressing his mouth against hers and walking her backwards until they bumped into another kitchen counter.

And, oh boy, he was good at this.

Smiling against his mouth, she parted her lips slightly to deepen the kiss and tilted her head to the side as her blood rushed around her body and the feel of him this close made her heart pound in her ears.

When the urge to breathe finally became too overwhelming, she pulled away slightly and studied him. There was no way she would ever get bored with that look in his eyes. "Isn't this the part where someone walks in?" she whispered breathlessly, glancing towards the kitchen door.

Jack nodded slightly and, apparently quite capable of ignoring the rest of the world, pressed his mouth lightly against hers once more. His warm fingers ran up and down her bare spine lightly, sending tiny, perfect shivers around her body. "Then you should stop talking and get on with it," he replied, mock-sternly, gently biting her bottom lip.

She laughed silently. "Yes sir!" She reached up around his head and threaded her fingers through his hair. She could move fast, too, after all. And she did.

"Umm!"

Heh.



End Notes: "Liked? No. Adored, loved, wanted to have its little fic babies - YES!" http://www.randomleaves.com