samandjack.net

Story Notes: email: LtSChase@aol.com

Rating: PG-13

Classification: angst I guess

Spoilers: None

Archive: Any archiving will probably be OKed, just ask me first.

Summary: Sam's father has a prophetic vision and circumstances force her to reveal something that happened a few weeks before.

Inspiration for this story came from reading Ann Taul's JAG story "That Night". (on the Ex Libris site I believe) Thanks again Ann.

Disclaimer: Stargate SG1 and its characters are the property of Stargate Productions, ShowTime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. No infringement on copyright intended. I promise to put them back where I found them, in one piece (si' es posible). No money will be accepted for this work.

Author's note: This is my first submission to this list. Any and all comments welcome. Be forewarned - my writing schedule is erratic at best and the *job* just went to shift work for the summer so be patient. The story is all in my head, I just need to get it into this computer.

Author's note 2: to all the D.J.'s in the world, I 'pologize.

Enjoy! Jen S.

Sent to Sam and Jack @onelist.com


Part of him knew that this was a dream. The Selmak part maybe. But it seemed very real. He walked through the seemingly abandoned SGC. Searching. But for whom? Where was everyone? He stepped through a door into the embarkation room. The gate spun to life. Throwing out a massive gush of sound and energy. Then all was silent once again. He looked at the gate, and something whispered, "Go".

He stepped out of the event horizon and saw her. "Sam?" She was dressed in a long flowing dress standing with her back to him. She was just beyond the end of a ramp within a circle of light surrounded by pitch-blackness.

She turned and smiled, "Hi daddy."

He gasped as he took in her profile, round with child. She laughed softly at his expression. "When did you...?" He tried to take a step towards her, but his feet wouldn't move. "Sam?" he called again, more concerned.

"Dad?"

He looked up. The darkness was moving closer. Suddenly, a figure loomed out of the shadows and lunged at Sam. Silver glinted and plunged. He saw the blade pierce through the skin and into her just above the swell of child. She screamed. The sound was engulfed by the roar of the gate opening behind him. He tried to maintain his stance but the pull from behind was too great. He fell back through the wormhole. He landed on his back thrashing and screaming his daughter's name.

"JACOB!"

Martouf's voice cut through. Jacob was in his bed in the Tok'Ra compound.

"Sam. Something's going to happen to Sam."



*



It took a lot of convincing. The Tok'Ra were not, by nature, a trusting group. But with Martouf and Selmak on his side, they relented. He ran through the tunnels to the transport rings. Jacob was on the surface before he realized Martouf was with him.

They reached the DHD and Jacob dialed Earth.



*



General Hammond looked up from his files as the alarm claxon sounded. "Incoming wormhole. Off-world activation." He rose and checked his watch; no one was due back. His mind reviewed the list of teams off-world. Teams 1 5 and 7 were on assignment. His mind focused on SG1. His best and brightest, and his cause for most concern usually. When they'd left this morning, Daniel had been sneezing his head off, Jack had looked tired, and Sam had looked... odd.

"It's General Carter, sir," the young lieutenant advised. Just then George Hammond's friend stepped out of the gate. Hammond went down to greet him.

"Jacob, it's good to see you!"

"Where's Sam? Where is she?"

"Jake, calm down. She's on assignment off-world. What's wrong?"

Jacob shook his head, unable to explain the overwhelming sense of dread that filled him.

Martouf spoke up, "Jacob believes that Samantha is in danger." Hammond led the two men to his office. "It was a dream or a vision of some sort." Jacob accepted the cup of coffee.

"Tell me exactly what you saw."

Jacob made the story brief.

Martouf clasped his hands together and brought them to his lips. His eyes closed then opened glowing. "Martouf never told Samantha, but when Jolinar disappeared, she was carrying his child. Perhaps the incident you witnessed was actually of her."

"No," Jacob refuted. "I called her name. She called me Dad. It was Sam. I know it."

"Jacob, Samantha's not pregnant." Hammond said. "Look, she'll be home in a few hours. Why don't you try to rest a bit."



*



Jacob lay on his daughter's bunk. She must have slept there recently because the pillow still held her scent. The dream had seemed so real, but now here, it seemed so impossible. He closed his eyes and must have slept, because he awoke some time later to the sound of the alarm indicating incoming travelers.

"Sam." He knew it was his daughter. He could sense her approach in a way he never could before. He leapt to his feet and raced for the embarkation room. He arrived just as Jack emerged from the gate, followed immediately by Daniel. "Sam?"

"Hey, general! How's life with junior?" Jack with his ever-present grin.

"Fine. Where's Sam?"

"She's right... achoo... sorry, behind us." Daniel and his sneezing, everything seemed normal.

"Bless," Jack sighed. "Something wrong?"

"Not sure." He stared impatiently at the event horizon, willing his daughter to emerge. He sighed deeply when her figure stepped out of the shimmering with Teal'c on her heels.

"Dad?"

"Sammy."

Sam took a step forward then paled. A shaky hand rose to her sweaty forehead, her eyes closed, and her body went boneless. Teal'c promptly dropped his staff weapon and the artifact he was carrying to catch her before she struck the ramp. "Captain Carter?"

"Sam?" Daniel and Jack chorused

"Medical team to Stargate room. Medical team to Stargate room."

"Sam?" Jacob knelt to touch her face. The instant he did a wave of dizziness passed over him and he slumped back. Selmak immediately took control and forced him to lie down on the ramp. He knew. Oh God. She was.

"Get that damn thing away from her!" Jack snarled, gesturing to the artifact.

"Move back let me through," Janet Frasier ordered. She paused over Jacob first.

"Tend to Samantha," Selmak ordered.

"Sam?" she called, leaning down.

"People, let's get away from the gate, we have two more teams due back soon," Hammond ordered. "Teal'c get that thing into quarantine immediately."

Jack scooped Sam up from Teal'c and strode out of the room.



*



The three men of SG1 sat in the briefing room where they'd been banished. Hammond strode in. He lifted a hand to silence them before they could start. "She's awake. Dr. Frasier says that she fainted, and no we do not think it was the artifact. She's on her way down now."

Jack and Daniel breathed a collective sigh of relief. Even Teal'c looked relieved as far as the general could tell. Sam strode in just then followed by her father and Martouf.

"Sam, I'm telling you it's that macaroni and cheese from the rations. Stuff tastes like chicken." Daniel said.

"Not quite," Sam said, her figure stiff and serious. "It's a lot more complicated then that."

"Sam, what's wrong," Jack rose as if to go to her as Martouf sat her in a chair. He glared when Martouf waved him back, but retreated to his seat.

Sam took a breath and looked to Hammond, who nodded. "Go ahead Captain. The floor is yours."

She nodded, "Thank you, sir." She kept her eyes focused on him as she began. "I left something out of my report from PX8943, six weeks ago."

"The night the lights went out," Jack quipped. No one smiled. "Tough room."

"Yes, sir. The night that we found that village in the mountains and you three were... drugged."

Hammond looked to Jacob. "As Sam told you Jake, the men reacted as though drunk and have no memory of anything from about sunset until mid morning."

"What did you leave out Sam?" Daniel asked.

"After I managed to convince you that you couldn't fly and Teal'c that he really couldn't sing, I put you all to bed."

"This was in the report," Jack reminded.

"Yes, sir. What wasn't was that one of you didn't stay there. I woke up to find one of you in my tent watching me sleep. I sat up and tried to get you to talk, but you had other things in mind. You... let's just say you were libidinous. I managed to get you back into your tent but things... developed from there."

"Were you... raped?" Jack whispered hoarsely.

"Oh no sir, it wasn't like that. Which is part of the problem. I woke again just after dawn and left the tent. Then when you all woke up later, your memories of the previous night were gone. Probably due to the narcotics' effects. I thought it best never to mention it to anyone. But now..."

"What?"

"What?"

Sam took another very deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

"Wait just a minute," Jack rose to lean on the table. "You're saying that one of us came to you that night, slept with you, got you pregnant and now can't remember a thing?"

Sam lifted her eyes to his, "Yes, sir."

"Which of us was it?" Daniel whispered. His face was pale.

"Captain Carter has chosen not to reveal that information," General Hammond replied.

"Absolutely not, no way, you will tell us right now, Captain. That is a direct order!" Jack rounded the table.

"No, sir," she replied.

"No, sir?"

"No, sir. With all due respect, I decided then to deal with this on my own. By revealing who it was I risk having to separate the team."

"You knew. That night. Didn't you?" Daniel smiled.

"Yes," she nodded. "I felt the... I don't know... the spark, maybe? The instant she was conceived, I just knew."

"She?" Teal'c asked. "You believe the child to be a girl?"

Sam nodded to him.

"Why didn't you say something to Janet when we got back? They have that new pill now." As soon as he said it Jack wished he hadn't. Sam clenched her jaw and closed her eyes.

"That is my business, sir," the last word was sharp and borderline insolent. She rose and faced Hammond. "Excuse me, sir. I am not feeling well."

"Dismissed, Captain," Hammond rose. "Dr. Frasier has a few more tests she'd like to run before she clears you both for any further gate travel. See her before you leave this evening."

"Yes, sir."

"Samantha? Let me be the first to congratulate the new mommy."

She smiled back to him.

Jack took a step to her and grabbed for her arm. She yanked free of his grasp and glared at him.

"COLONEL O'NEILL!" Hammond practically snarled the order. "Sit back down. NOW!"

Teal'c rose, "Permission to be dismissed, general."

"Denied."

"Sir? I believe I can predict your next orders. I would like to speak to Captain Carter immediately."

"Teal'c?"

"Why?" Jack queried Teal'c glared at him as though it was the stupidest question he'd ever been asked. "General?"

"Just hold up a minute," Hammond asked. "You are right I do have orders. This line of questioning will not continue. Captain Carter has made her decision. If in time she decides to tell which of you it was, so be it. For now, the baby is hers and hers alone. And because of this, I can continue to let SG1 function intact. If any of you have reservations about the status quo, see me in my office later. For now we have another issue. Jacob?"

Jacob sat silently. Eyes distant and unfocused. He blinked and shook his head slightly. "Sorry, yes the dream."

The group sat in stunned silence as Jacob recounted the dream.

"How far along would you estimate she was?" Daniel asked

"Couldn't say. Good ways I'd guess."

"My theory is still that you saw Jolinar. Goa'uld do not possess advanced sight." Martouf rejected.

"I am telling you it was Samantha!"

"Jolinar had a child?" Teal'c asked.

"No, she was killed before the child could be born," Martouf shook his head.

"Wait, how do you know?" Daniel asked

"We found her body a short time ago." Jacob filled in.

"Does Sam know?" Daniel demanded.

"No," Jacob shook his head. "I had decided not to tell her, and now I'm sure. She knows Jolinar died. She doesn't need to know how."

"Bad?" Jack uttered.

"Very," Jacob replied. "And she did look a lot like Sam. But I am sure that the dream was about Sam."



*



Sam relented to a series of poking and prodding from Janet. Agreed to see her OB/GYN ASAP then escaped. She took the elevators up and out, needing fresh air and retreat from everyone's eyes. The base had a very well developed grapevine. She'd lay money that the nurse who drew her blood was the culprit. She managed to keep it together until she reached the surface and could walk out of sight. Tears began to blur her vision as she began the climb up the mountain path. She continued on determined. Then she faltered.

"What have I done?" she cried out softly and began to weep. She sank to her knees, oblivious to the damp earth.

He stared at her for a long moment. Not really sure how to proceed. Tears from a woman he was accustomed to. But not from this woman. Unable to bear her pain any longer he advanced and stooped to gather her close and lift her from the ground.

She tried to compose herself and pulled free. "I am OK."

"You are not," he retorted. Jaffa warriors were trained to handle any obstacle, but dealing with the emotional upheaval of pregnancy was never discussed. Teal'c smiled in memory. He missed his wife and son. His thoughts turned to the reason he followed her. "I remember."

"Oh, God," she whispered, tears starting fresh. "When?"

"At the briefing. My memories returned quite suddenly."

Her hand covered her mouth and her eyes shone bright through the tears. He crossed to her and pulled her to rest against his chest.

"Did anyone else?"

"I do not believe so."

She shivered. He wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back. She leaned into him and absorbed his warmth and strength.

"I vow to you now," Teal'c whispered into her hair. "I will never reveal that I saw the two of you together. I also vow to protect you with my life."

"Thank you, Teal'c."

"You are welcome, Samantha Carter." Teal'c dropped a kiss to her hair. "Perhaps in time, his memories will return as well. How can he not remember holding you?"



*



Everyone was pulling her in different directions. Sam sighed as she sat down on the stool in the lab. Hammond asked her to do some analysis on soil and rocks that SG4 had found on their last mission. Daniel wanted to talk about some scrolls they'd found on theirs. She'd missed her last doctor's appointment because of a shift in scheduled departures and now Janet was on her back about making another one. And the colonel... he was acting very strange. He'd been very abrupt with her since the *incident* as Daniel had taken to calling the wonderful briefing they'd had three months ago. She reached down and rubbed the barely there swell of her stomach.

"How you doing in there baby?" she smiled. Daniel had started off teasing her about talking to her stomach. But now he kept getting this sappy look on his face. She was brought out of her musings by more samples being dropped onto the table in front of her. "Aren't you supposed to be working, Captain?" O'Neill snapped.

"Yes, sir. I was just..."

"No excuses, Captain. We need these results immediately. No time to spend contemplating your..." he broke off with a backhanded gesture. She immediately curled her hands around her stomach protectively. "I want to know the instant you are finished. There are a few other things we need done before our next mission."

"What the hell is with you lately?" As soon as she said it, she wished the floor would open up.

"You are with me!" he snarled. Within seconds both tempers flared. Sam felt like she was watching from somewhere inside, like with Jolinar. But this was her. She was the one being screamed at by her commanding officer. And the one screaming back.

"You are supposed to be a soldier. A member of my team. And I can't even depend on you to do the simple things you're asked!"

"When has any of this interfered with my work?"

"You are a distraction. You constantly remind us that you are pregnant."

"When have I ever said a word?"

"You don't have to. You rub yourself. You stretch your back. You..."

"I don't believe you. If I'm such a problem transfer me. Or better, I'll transfer myself. Anywhere would be better then putting up with your shit on a daily basis." She turned away towards the table.

"I am not finished with you, Captain."

"Go to hell, sir."

He was enraged. He could feel the urge to hit something and stepped back before she could become a target. Sam was shaking she was so upset. She took a breath and winced. A sharp pain lanced through her lower back and circled her abdomen. She panted briefly, waiting for it to subside. Instead it intensified. She reached for the lab table and knocked against on of the soil samples.

Jack was out the door when he heard the glass shatter. He turned back to see the samples smash to the floor. "Oh for cryin' out loud!"

She turned her head as her knees gave way. He froze at the sight. Her face was covered in sweat. She was shaking visibly. But worst was the hand that clutched at her stomach.

"Sam? Oh God," he stooped to her.

"Please, no. Please," she was begging.

"Hang on Sam. Hang on," he pulled her gently into his arms and stood.

Janet looked up as Jack strode in cradling Sam. "Oh! Sam?"

"Janet, it hurts," she cried.

Janet followed Jack to the bed, the pushed him away to get to Sam. Sam was weeping. Her entire being focused inwardly on the pain. "Please, baby don't leave me."



*



She had no idea where she was. It was a very disconcerting feeling. That on top of the excruciating pain in her head was almost enough for her to drift back into the blackness. But she was military, first and foremost. Which meant lifting said head to get her bearings.

Wrong move.

To say the least.

The room spun violently and she groaned.

"Sam?" a voice whispered. "Lay still."

"Too late," she replied. "Janet?"

"Yes, take it easy. You're in the SGC infirmary. How do you feel?"

"Lousy," if she whispered, and didn't open her eyes, she could just hold on. "The baby?"

"Still in there. No food, no sleep, damnit Sam we talked about this! You can only push yourself so far!"

"Janet, please don't shout," she whispered.

"Sorry, kiddo," she smoothed the golden hair back from the captain's face. Sometimes she felt ages older then Sam, despite only a few years difference. "Sleep."

"I need to talk to Hammond."

"Later."

Sam met Janet's eyes. "Now. It's important."

"I'll find him."

Janet closed the door quietly. She could cheerfully strangle them all.

There was barely a week that passed that one of them was in a bed under her care. But right now she only wanted to hurt one. No, not hurt. She wanted to massacre him. Dismember him. Blood and carnage all over the place.

Of course, given a week or two he'd probably be unconscious in front of her. And at the rate he acquired injuries, possibly having done more damage to himself then she could conceive of.

She turned as movement caught her eye. "Speak of the devil."

"And the devil shall appear," Colonel O'Neill quipped.

"Out," she ordered, pointing.

"I need to see..."

"Whatever you have to say to her can wait until I've cleared her," she snapped. In this, and only this, she out ranked even the general. She turned him firmly and shoved him out of the infirmary, barely resisting the desire to kick him in the pants for good measure.

He turned, concern apparent in his face. "What's wrong with her?"

"She's pregnant, colonel. She's exhausted. Her blood pressure went up. She hasn't slept since before you four left, that's what, ninety six hours colonel?"

"About that," he acknowledged. "But we all..."

"No colonel," Janet was furious. "Just her. Always her. She was in the middle of something with SG5 before you left, then forty-eight hours on P3 whatever, then back here working again. She HAS NOT slept. AT ALL. You just expect that she can keep going forever? She is not the Energizer Bunny. And her batteries passed low yesterday. She was exhausted when you came back through the gate, so what do you all do? You give her some soil samples that any monkey could analyze."

"Well... but..." Jack protested.

"But nothing. She is pregnant colonel," Janet repeated. "It is different now, no matter what she says. Maybe before she could go for a week on caffeine and willpower but now she has bigger concerns."

"She is... the baby's OK?" Jack whispered.

"Hanging in there. But this can not happen again," she replied. Her voice softened, "Jack. She needs your support now. Not your anger. Look, I know. This is driving you crazy. I can't help you remember, any more than I can make her tell us who it was."

"I'm an idiot."

"Yes, sir," she nodded, causing both of them to smile. "Sam's asked to see Hammond. It'll probably take me a few minutes to find him."



*



Jack slipped into the infirmary. Sam lay curled on her side, facing the wall. He stood for a moment then crossed to her. "Sam?" his voice was soft and gentle. She didn't respond. He moved to meet her eyes, almost hoping she was asleep. Crystal blue, twinkling with unshed tears, stared straight ahead. "Sam?"

"I can't do this anymore, sir," she whispered.

"Sam..."

"Please, let me finish. I cannot risk this baby. You can't know how important this is to me. But whenever I'm around you, I... You have made it quite clear that you resent this baby and I won't have that."

"It's mine," he put in. Staring at the floor, she missed the joy that flashed into his eyes briefly.

"I'm not saying that," she looked up. "And it shouldn't matter. Either she is yours, or she is Daniel's, who is your best friend. But mainly she is mine."

"Oh, God, what have I done," he shuddered, then rose to gather her into his arms. "I am so sorry Sam. So sorry."

"Still need me?" Hammond asked from the doorway.

"No, sir," Jack and Sam replied in unison. Sam was trying to pull back, but Jack wouldn't release her.

"Good. Sam, Janet wants you here tonight, then a few days bed rest at home."

"Yes, sir," she said, laying her head down onto Jack's shoulder.

Hammond reached out and touched her back. "Be careful, Sam. Jacob'll kill me if anything happens to his grandbaby."

"Don't worry, general," Jack answered. "She is going to be a lot more careful." He sat there for a long while simply holding her. Then he lay her back against the pillows. "Rest."

She settled back with a sigh. She started to drop off when her eyes flew wide and her hand jumped to her stomach.

"WHAT?" Jack cried. He stood, poised to run for Janet.

"She moved," Sam smiled.

A smile broke across Jack's face, lighting his eyes. "She did?" His hand reached. She grasped it and laid it on her abdomen. In memory it was the first time he'd touched her since the *incident*. His large palm covered her belly, warm and strong.

"Can you feel her?"

Jack shook his head, "She's just yours for now." He gazed into her eyes. "But that's OK. You were right. All that matters is that she is yours."

Daniel slid as he came around the corner. He would've ran into the opposite wall if Teal'c didn't reach out and snag him. They reached the infirmary and raced in. Jack sat in a chair, his chin to his chest, his hand firmly grasping Sam's. Sam lay on her side, her legs curled up slightly, one hand resting in Jack's, the other curled over her stomach.

"They're fine," Janet assured. "Baby even moved tonight."

"Was Jack here for that?" Daniel asked.

"Yep. I think they've settled their differences."

"Good. Grab some dinner?"

"Sure," the young doctor smiled. "Teal'c?"

"I will join you shortly."



*



The force of the glare finally woke Jack. He lifted his head and met Teal'c gaze. He was scowling as he had very often of late.

"Teal'c?"

"You will NOT continue to hurt her." Teal'c snarled.

"I did hurt her, Teal'c. And I know I did. But I won't anymore. I swear."

Teal'c gave a short nodded. "I will not allow it." He turned and walked away.

Jack stared after him, "That's one hell of a guard dog you got there. Has he had all his shots?"

"Rabies booster's due next month," Sam murmured, still mostly asleep. "He's driving me crazy."

Jack smiled and smoothed her hair back. "You think Teal'c's bad? You just got me worried, angel. Ever heard the expression wrapped in cotton?"



*



Jack walked back into the infirmary. Janet had shoved him out the door just an hour before. She'd wanted to give Sam one last check before releasing her. He nodded to a soldier whom he passed saluting.

She sat on the edge of the bed, waiting. She looked up and smiled. And he felt his heart stop. Something in that smile. Something familiar. Something. He forced the thoughts aside. "Ready to go?"

"Just about," she replied as Janet approached. Then Daniel swept in with a single yellow rose in his hand. He stepped around Jack and went to Sam.

"How's momma?" Daniel asked dropping a kiss to her cheek, laying the rose on her lap.

"Fine," she replied. "Oh it's beautiful."

Daniel smiled and murmured something in a language Jack didn't understand. But Sam evidently did as she blushed and swatted him, "Please."

"Can I take her home?" Daniel asked.

"Yep. Just keep her quiet for the rest of the week. Lots of rest, lots of food." Janet handed him a slip of paper. "New vitamins."

"Will these make her as queasy?"

"Hope not. If they do we'll try something else." Jack watched the conversation with a clenched jaw. Emotions he could not and would not identify flashed in his eyes.

"I have an appointment with Anne on Thursday," Sam added. "For the amnio."

"I'll try to be there, since we all know how Dr. Jackson here will react to that," Janet teased.

"Don't start," Daniel warned.

"Anyway, are you going to stay home or..." Janet began.

"I thought we'd go to my house," Jack put in. "I've got the most room. That way we can all keep an eye on her."

Daniel turned surprise on his face that he quickly shrouded. "Sounds good, Jack."

Jack came forward and lifted Sam down from the exam table. "Teal'c's waiting with the truck."



*



Daniel slipped the key into the lock of Sam's apartment door and smiled as the door behind him opened. "Hello Mrs. Hardy."

"Well hello Doctor Daniel," an elderly woman replied.

"How is Samantha feeling?"

"Better, she's on her way up with Teal'c."

They turned as Sam walked slowly up the hallway. Teal'c supported her around her back on one side, Jack had her hand tucked into his arm on the other.

"Mrs. Hardy, this is Colonel Jack O'Neill. Jack, Mrs. Hardy," Daniel introduced.

"Ma'am."

"Samantha, I watered your plants just this morning. Are you home for awhile?"

"No. We're going to the colonel's house. More room for all of us," Sam replied.

"I'll water them later then," she nodded. "See you."

"Nice lady," Jack remarked.

"Wonderful," Sam replied as she sank down onto a chair. "General Hardy is retired. He keeps coming over to fix things. I can't tell him that most of it I could fix. He's driving her crazy being home all day." She sighed and leaned against his arm for a moment.

"You OK?"

"Tired."

Jack nodded and took a moment to look around the small apartment.

"Sam? Travel case still in the closet?"

"Yes, Daniel," she replied and pushed herself upright.

Jack followed her down the short corridor to a bathroom separating two bedrooms. Daniel emerged from the left holding a bag in one hand, a book in the other. "I'd been looking for this."

"Where was it?" Sam asked taking the bag.

"Floor, between the bed and the wall."

"Some housekeeper," Sam grinned. "You probably dropped it last weekend."

"Yeah, I read part of it to Cass to put her to sleep."

"History of Ancient Greece," Jack read the cover. "Take ten minutes or fifteen to put her out?"

"Two hours," Sam replied. "Cass loves Earth history. No wonder you fell asleep before she did."

Teal'c was helping Sam pack. "I told you that he was not helping."

Jack was silent. They had a whole life together. Without him. He'd spent last weekend alone, watching a ball game. Normally they spent at least part of their downtime together. But not recently. He'd distanced himself so far from them.

"Sir, are you ready?" Sam asked.

"Let's go."



*



Jack slipped into his room where she lay. He sat a glass of water onto the nightstand next to a new package of crackers. He wasn't sure. He didn't know if she woke up sick or thirsty. He touched her arm softly where it rested on top of the blankets. She felt cold so he draped another blanket over her. She slept on.



*



Dr. Anne Ronan was tall and flamboyant. Auburn hair curled wildly from a clasp. She was also the OB/GYN used by every woman in the SGC. She routinely tested for effects of gate travel. And she was beside herself to have the test case for gate travel in-utero so to speak.

"Hey Sam, hear you scared a few years off of Janet's life. Thought we agreed you would stop doing that!" Anne greeted.

"Sorry Anne," Sam replied.

"So how's the squid?"

"I *really* wish you wouldn't call her that," Daniel retorted. "She is a baby."

"Technically she is a fetus. And she may not be a she."

"She is, Sam said so. And I believe her."

"If Sam told you she was carrying twin elephants, you'd believe that too."

"Children, that's enough," Sam broke in.

"Oooo, perfect maternal reaction!" Anne grinned. "Well let's go take a look at *her* shall we?" They entered the exam room. "Where's Teal'c?"



*



Sam lay on her back next to the sonogram. Her shirt was pulled up to expose her stomach. Anne advanced with the gel and apparatus. "OK remember this is cold." Jack flinched with Sam. Anne smiled. "Here we go."

A sound filled the room. A soft, rapid beat.

Sam sighed. "There she is."

Anne smiled. "And... there..." she pointed to a smudge on the screen. She adjusted the apparatus and the figure came in clearer. "Hey! Perfect shot, and," she paused. "Congratulations, it looks like it is a girl."

"Told you," Daniel snorted.

Jack was speechless. He glanced down to the glistening skin covering the baby. Sam's baby. He looked back to the screen and stared. Just stared. The baby shifted slightly and a hand slipped into view.

"Got a wave there momma."

"Hello sweetheart."

Jack reached out a hesitant finger and stroked the screen where the hand appeared. "Hello baby."

Daniel smiled and breathed an easy breath. The first in a long while. Then he winced as he saw Anne reach for the needle. "OK that's my cue. Janet's not here."

"I'll be all right," Sam assured.

"I'll stay," Jack said.

"Sir, are you sure?"

Jack stooped to meet her at eye level. "It's Jack, Sam. After all I am seeing right through you at the moment."

'Seeing right through you'. The thought made her wince. She smiled at him. "OK Jack, but this isn't going to be all that pleasant."

"I can handle it."

"You can? Good. Let her shove a needle into your stomach, I'll wait in the hall," she tried to be funny but he saw the fear.

"It'll be OK, Sam."

She believed him, and it was.



*



Later that evening, Sam lay on the bed again. Daniel lay crosswise with his head on her thigh, an ear resting against her belly. He was talking steadily and stroking her.

"Wait until you get here. There are so many wonderful things in this world to see. More than can ever be seen. More to do than can ever be done. Hey the song..."

"Daniel, no offense but your singing voice is only slightly better then Teal'c's. You sing to her and she'll never come out." Sam's voice was soft, drowsy.

Daniel chortled. "That hurt Sam. Teal'c sounded like a rusty buzz saw that night."

"So you sound like a well oiled buzz saw." She was chuckling.

Jack stood in the doorway. A tray in his hands. His fingers clenched painfully. Teal'c singing. Daniel remembering. He stepped into the room and slammed the tray down and strode out of the house. He didn't know where he was going. This was a huge mistake. He should've left Daniel and Sam on base. Janet could look after her. Daniel and Sam. That thought sent a sharp pain through his chest.

"Jack! Wait up!" Daniel shouted.

"Go back inside Daniel."

"No! Come here!"

"Daniel. I am not in the mood right now. Go back in to Sam."

"Jack," Daniel finally caught him by the arm. "What is wrong with you?"

Jack turned. Eyes blazing. "What's wrong is you two are all over each other in there. In my house. In MY bed."

"So what? Why does it bother you Jack?"

Jack whirled with a snarl and strode a few steps.

"Come on tough guy," Daniel taunted. "Something about all this disturbing you? A little edgy?"

Jack stopped and turned. "I am warning you Daniel. Go. Back. Inside. NOW."

"Think I will. Climb back into bed with Sam. Cuddle up and talk to the baby some more."

Jack was breathing heavily. He was not going back into that house. He was not going to know that they were together. Laying side by side. Talking and laughing. In. His. Bed.

"Problem with that?"

"She's supposed to be mine," Jack whispered. His eyes closed.

"What? Couldn't hear you there Jackyboy." Daniel cupped a hand over his ear and stepped to the side. For two reasons, one being to get out of range.

"SHE IS SUPPOSED TO BE MINE!" Jack shouted, then opened his eyes. Sam stood in the yard. One hand covered her belly; the other rested over her heart.

"No shit, Sherlock," Daniel quipped. His voice dropped, "Do you really think that if I had gone to her tent that night, she would've done anything but put me back to bed?"

















Jack felt his heart stop. Those phrases. A lost memory of a forgotten dream. His knees felt weak. He stumbled crossing the grass. She stepped forward and he clutched her to him.

"Why? Why didn't you tell me?"

Sam felt her lip quiver and tears threaten. She rested her head onto his shoulder and shivered.

"O'Neill," Teal'c spoke. "It is too cold for Samantha to be outside. And she should not be on her feet."

"Come on." Jack scooped Sam up into his arms and strode across the yard. Daniel followed a few paces behind. He passed Teal'c with an enormous grin on his face and managed a little jig before Jack looked back for them. Teal'c's eyes closed for a brief moment and he shook his head. His friends were odd.

They returned to Jack's bedroom and Jack gently laid Sam down and cocooned her in the quilt. She pulled herself up to sit against the headboard. "We do need to talk." She looked up to Daniel and Teal'c. "All of us."



*



"I was afraid." Sam began speaking once they'd settled. She now sat wrapped in Jack's arms with Daniel sitting next to them and Teal'c on the foot of the bed.

"Of what?" Jack demanded.

"Of everything," she sighed. "Of what your reaction would be. Of what Hammond would do if he knew. Of losing the team. I wasn't sure if I'd have your support and I was afraid to lose Daniel's."

"I would have..."

"Sir..."

"Jack," he corrected.

"Jack, you were hostile about this whole thing from day one. You asked me why I hadn't gotten rid of it. Like it was something I could just throw away!" As she spoke, she pulled away from him, voice rising, face flushing.

He reached forward and drew her back to his chest. He soothed her hair back as she took a shuddering breath. Daniel slid forward to rub her arm.

"Sam, easy now," Daniel whispered. "Jack, her blood pressure has been a little erratic. We can't let her get upset like this."

"I'm OK," she replied.

"I could apologize a hundred times a day for the next hundred years and it would never make up for the past few months Sam," Jack said into her hair.

"And Sam. You are stuck with me sweetie," Daniel added smiling. "All that ever mattered was that this was *your* baby." He dropped a kiss to her belly. "Of course with your mind, your looks, and her daddy's stubborn Irish temper, we are in for one wild ride!"

Sam chuckled.

Teal'c groaned.



*



"Daniel Jonathon Carter-O'Neill," Daniel whispered.

"Daniel Jonathon?" Jack whispered back. "Why?"

"Sounds better."

"Says who?"

"What are you two doing?" Sam opened her eyes. They'd fallen asleep together in the colonel's big bed. She was laying on her back between the two men with Teal'c sitting on the floor behind Daniel. Currently both men were awake, had pulled up her shirt and were contemplating her navel, so to speak.

"Discussing names, go back to sleep," Jack answered.

"Boys' names?" She asked.

"Just covering all the bases," Daniel replied. "I like Daniel Jonathon."

"One word - D.J."

"Blech," Daniel wrinkled his nose.

"My sentiments exactly," Sam nodded. "Let me up."

"Where are you going?" Jack asked as he lifted her to her feet.

"Bathroom," she sighed. "Just one of the many perks of this."

"So what names do you like?" Jack asked. "Boys."

"Why are you so stuck on boys names?"

Jack shrugged. "O'Neill's have always produced boys."

"So you're having a change of luck, colonel, get used to it," she replied from the bathroom. "Make you a deal though. If it is a boy, you can name him. Just so long as it isn't D.J."

Daniel slouched back, "OK so Daniel Jack is out... Hey!"

The two men looked at each other and beamed. "JACK DANIEL!"

"Oh my God!" was all Sam could say. She looked down, "Thank you for being a girl."



*



They'd settled back in. All three in one bed. Jack waited until Sam settled in on her side then shifted so that she rested against his shoulder. Daniel curled himself behind her. They lay awake for a long while without speaking.

Sam shifted, "You still don't remember do you?"

Jack lowered his head to kiss the top of her hair. "No."

She looked up with such sorrow that he wished he'd lied.



*



The front door was pushed open slightly. "Jack?"

Jack roused slightly as Teal'c sprang to his feet. He shifted Sam off of his chest and swung his feet to the floor as the bedroom door opened. "Jack?"

"Sarah?" Jack rubbed his face. "What are you... damn I forgot... the check." He stood. "It's OK Teal'c, it's just Sarah. Sarah, Teal'c and that's Daniel and Sam."

Sarah took the scene of the bed in one glance. "I can get it some other time."

"I'm coming," Jack replied. He shifted the blanket up over Sam.



*



Sarah stood in the kitchen, her arms wrapped around herself.

"Sarah, that wasn't what it looked like. We were talking."

"All four of you in one bed?"

"No. Three of us in bed, Teal'c was on the floor."

"Excuse me," Sam said. "Jack I need to make some toast or crackers or something."

"Are you OK?"

"Not really. I need to eat or the vitamins make me sick."

"Ginger snaps worked best for me," Sarah put in. "We've never met... or at least not really. I'm Sarah, and you are Sam, right? Jack's captain?"

"Yes, it's nice to meet you."

The women shook hands briefly, then Sam's returned to her stomach.

"I thought Janet said these vitamins would be better." Jack asked handing Sam a box of saltines.

"She lied."



*



Jack walked Sarah out to her car.

"It's yours isn't it?"

Jack nodded.

"Jack, we've been talking for months, why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know for sure until last night that it was mine." He leveled his gaze at her. "I can't remember it happening."

"Well that's interesting."



*



Sam watched from the window munching on saltines. One hand smoothed over the baby.



*



"You love her," Sarah smiled.

Jack sputtered for a moment.

"I know that look. You are so in love with her you can't think straight." Sarah laughed.

Jack sighed. "So what if I am. She's my captain. It's against regulations."

"Regulations, shmegulations. How many regulations are there against dating your general's daughter," she teased with a finger poke to his chest.

"That was more of a survival guideline," Jack quipped. "I'm still amazed your father didn't have me drawn and quartered."

"Me, too. Jack, seriously, regulations aside, if you love her, do something about it."

"Strange conversation to be having with my ex-wife," Jack said.

"I'd hoped we were friends again Jack," Sarah replied.

Jack stepped forward and pulled her into a hug. "We are. And I will always love you too."

"I know. Me too." Sarah leaned into him. She looked up. "Ah, Jack. Sam's watching us. The first thing you do might be to tell her that you love her."

Jack turned. He looked up as Sam pulled back from the window. "Oh for cryin' out loud."

Sarah took the check from his pocket. "I'll talk to you later."

"Say hi to your dad, for me. And to... ahh..."

"Chris," she prompted.

"Chris," he nodded. "Say hi to Chris."



*



Jack strode straight into the kitchen and to Sam. He went to her, turned her quickly in his arms and kissed her soundly. She was frozen for a long moment then slumped.

"Sam?"

"What did you do?!?" Daniel demanded.

"I kissed her," Jack retorted as he carried her into the living room and the couch.

"Just kissed her?"

"Yeah, kinda inflates a guy's ego to spin a girl around, kiss her, and have her pass out cold."

"You spun her?" Daniel groaned. "Jack one of the top rules in dealing with a pregnant woman, especially this pregnant woman, is never *ever* spin her. It tends to make her faint."

"Why didn't I know this?" Jack demanded.

"Sorry, didn't think to give you a list of instructions," Daniel retorted as he crossed with a wet cloth. "Wake up, Sam, you're scaring the colonel."

Sam's eyes fluttered. "You kissed me!"

"Yes," Jack smiled. "And I plan to do it again." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "And again," her cheek. "And maybe even again." His head lowered and he kissed her lips, gently. Her hand came up to cup his head. "I love you Doctor Captain Samantha Carter."

"I love you too, Jack."

And with those two brief sentences, the whole world changed.



*



Jack stood outside of General Hammond's office sweating like a schoolboy sent to the principal's office. He wiped his palm on his leg then knocked.

"Enter."

Jack walked in, snapped to attention, and blurted. "I'm in love with her. The baby is mine and I am in love with her."

Hammond rose from his chair, rounded the desk and came to stand an inch from Jack's face. "As my granddaughter would say, well duh." Hammond grinned. "I knew this would come the day she stood her ground in the briefing room when she transferred in."

"Wish someone had filled me in."

"Never took you to be that stupid, son," Hammond replied. He glanced at his calendar. "And thanks to you, Jacob Carter owes me fifty dollars. He said it would take until the baby came for you to pull your head out of your ass. I bet it wouldn't take that long." Hammond gestured to the chair.

"Glad to oblige, but now what to we do?"

"About what?"

"About the fact that she is in my command... and..."

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Military regulations have a serious change of heart in the last twenty four hours?"

"Nope. But the SGC has it's own set of regulations. Didn't you ever read them?"

Jack shuffled his feet.

Hammond sighed, and tossed him a book. "Page seventy three. It's a section designed by Ernest so that he and Katherine could work together without prejudice. But it applies to all Stargate personnel. So long as the other members of your team do not have a problem, which I know they won't, and so long as there is no... relations while on duty, on or off-world, there is no problem."

"Wow," he said reading the text. "Why didn't you tell us? At least, Sam, she's been worried sick."

"Sam knows the regulations. We've discussed them at length. She was afraid that you would split the team."

"She told you it was me?"

"No. I told her it was you. I may be an old man, but I am not blind. I knew the day you four came back from PX8943 that something had happened between you two." Hammond smiled. "Does she know?"

Jack nodded, "I told her this morning."

Hammond's eyes narrowed. "What is it?"

"Sir, I know that it was me. But I still can't remember." Silence fell. Suddenly Jack burst up. "Bark like a chicken, cluck like a dog."

"WHAT?"

"Hypnosis, sir. It worked for Sam when we lost Daniel."

"Jack, you hate the entire idea of hypnosis. You may not be able to be hypnotized. Have you considered asking Samantha what happened?" Hammond suggested. "That may trigger your memory."



*



Sam and Jack sat together in his room. Teal'c and Daniel had gone back to his apartment at their request. "I need to know, Sam."



*

PX8943



It started out as any other mission. Jack made quirky comments about the local flora. Daniel sneezed a half dozen times before they cleared the immediate area by the gate. Sam's thoughts raced a hundred miles an hour in fifteen directions. And Teal'c slipped into his protector mode.









They'd met up with the locals and been invited for dinner. Jack remarked that it sounded good as long as they weren't the main course.

























They'd had dinner, very good, tasted just like... anyway. Then the party began. Lots of wine, women, and song. They had joined in quite easily. Something in the air and the wine seemed to make everything seem so good, so right.

Then Jack had suggested that it was time to turn in. And that idea seemed to be the funniest thing Teal'c had ever heard. One minute their somber friend had been sitting quietly staring into the fire. The next he had been laughing hysterically. A deep, full out belly laugh that sent the others into sympathetic chuckling. He tried to rise but collapsed under the weight of his own hilarity. Daniel had tried to help but ended up flat on his back beside the Jaffa. So Jack and Sam tried and managed to get him upright. Sam had reached for Daniel only to have him pull her down onto him. Full out across his body. He gazed up into her eyes and announced that he could fly. Up into the stars, he could soar like an eagle. He rolled her off of him and ran for a tree. Sam caught his arm and held tight pulling him back in the direction of the camp. She was grateful that Jack seemed sober as he guided Teal'c.

(I could fly, if you'd let me try.) Daniel kept repeating like a chant. Fly like an eagle. Then Teal'c had froze, yanked his arm from Jack to spread them wide and began to sing... {I could fly higher than an eagle, 'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.}











It took three calls of his name for Teal'c to look at Sam. She leveled her gaze. [Please. Stop. Singing.]

{Why?}

[Because you are scaring the villagers.] Jack took his arm and led the pouting Jaffa back to camp. She put a muttering Daniel into his tent. He sat still for all of three seconds then stuck his head out.

(I still believe I can fly. Why won't you let me try?)

[Tomorrow morning]

{I believe I can fly... I believe I could touch the sky...}

[TEAL'C]











She laid back. Finally all was silent. Well silent except for the snoring and occasional giggle from Teal'c and the muttering from Daniel. At least she could be sure where they were for the moment. She was confident she'd hear them move, so she started to drift off. She never heard him. Just realized he'd come into her tent when the breeze brushed her face.



























He was more than willing to be led back to his tent. It was separated slightly from the other three. Less likely for Daniel or Teal'c to hear.







She reached his tent and tried to get him in. At first he refused, then started in, pulling her behind him. She'd gone in with the idea of getting him settled, but he had other plans. He'd pulled her full length against him. There was no denying his state of arousal. He'd started kissing her, firmly and eagerly. She'd put up a token protest, but...



























She'd looked up at him. [We just made a baby.]



[Jack?]



[Again? giggle]



[So does a sidearm shoved in the hip.]





*



Jack gazed into Sam's eyes. They were laying side by side in his bed. He reached over and twined his fingers into her hair.

"I wish I could remember it all."

"So do I," she replied softly.

He leaned in and kissed her. Passion flared. He rolled so that he was above her, braced on his elbows and knees. Able to caress her face and hair, able to feel her against him, but able to protect the child they had made.

"I want a night to remember," he murmured.

"Jack," she protested as his kisses moved across her cheek. "We can't."

"Shh, yes we can."

"No, Jack, we can't," she pushed him. He rose above her. "Well, technically, I can't," she continued.

Disappointment flooded his features, then tears filled hers.

"Oh no baby, don't cry, it's OK," he soothed, moving off to her side again.

"Anne told me at the appointment. No sex for a while. Maybe until after I deliver."

Jack sighed into her temple. "So we'll have a night to remember, later."

She sniffled. He whispered soothing sounds to her until her breathing evened out. She sighed and shifted onto her side, facing away from him. He spooned behind her. He ran a hand across his hair. There wouldn't be a brown one left at this rate.

He closed his eyes, and that song began to play through his mind. His eyes popped open. He would never get that chorus out of his thoughts now. Of course at least it had eased part of his other problem. He sighed and settled in. He could wait. He loved her more than enough.



*



A grating voice emerged from where a deep baritone was expected. {I could fly higher than an eagle, cause you are the wind beneath my wings...}

[Teal'c if you do not shut up and go to sleep...]

{sorry}

You could hear the pout in his voice. She sounded tired. She sounded... beautiful. Had he ever told her that? He didn't think so. He left his tent with that intention. To tell her.



*



Jack smiled in his sleep as in his dreams he remembered. When he awoke, he would see her and it would all come flooding back full force, stopping his breath for one long moment. Then he would lay and wait for her to wake. To tell her again.



*

Months later



Klaxon warnings sounded. Lights blinked.

"Incoming wormhole!"

Hammond looked up from his desk.

"SG1 returning."

"Three hours early," he remarked.

"Can you blame him?" his assistant asked. "Sir?" he quickly added on.

Hammond smiled. "Not a bit."



*



Jack strode down the ramp oblivious to the noise and chaos their early return caused. He looked up to Hammond.

"She's in the infirmary."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, she's working on something with Dr. Frasier." Jack glanced at his wrist and scowled.



*



Sam sat on a stool staring into a microscope.

"Captain Carter?" Jack snapped.

"Yes, Colonel?"

"You are supposed to be resting!"

"And you are supposed to be reconning PT4980 until 1800 hours." Sam turned and smoothed her jumper down over her extremely convex abdomen.

"I just... we... oh for cryin out loud," he crossed to her and pulled her into a hug. "I can't stand doing this without you."

"I know, but I can't walk for more than five minutes at a time and have to pee every ten, speaking of which... Your daughter has settled herself on my bladder today," she reported as she crossed to the restroom.

"Want me to have a chat with her?"

"Nah, she's just trying to get comfortable, just like her momma."

Jack smiled proudly as she waddled back to him. "Have I told you I love you?"

"Hmm... Not in the last six or seven hours, no."

"Damn, I am slacking," he replied. "I love you, I love you, I love you." He kissed her soundly then stooped to kiss the skin stretched over their baby. "I love you too, baby girl." His words were rewarded with a firm kick.

"Samantha?" Teal'c spoke from the doorway. "You are requested to join us in the briefing room."

"Be right there."

In the past few months, Teal'c had taken to calling her Samantha. Jack was still 'O'Neill', Daniel was still DanielJackson, but Sam had become Samantha to him.

Jack led Sam into the room with a hand to the small of her back.

"Dad!" she smiled. "I didn't know you were coming."

He gathered her as close as he could. "My have you gotten big!"

"Thanks dad," she grimaced.

Martouf watched from the side with a mixture of grief and anger.

Jacob smiled at the group, "I wish I could say this was just a social visit but it isn't. We've been contacted by the Tollians living with the Nox. They want to meet with representatives from both of our worlds."

"Been missing those guys," Jack replied.

"Yes," Jacob smiled. "We were approached by a representative of the Tollians a short while ago. It seems despite their intentions to avoid the conflict with the Goa'uld, they now see it as inevitable. And they want to join the Tok'Ra, on a limited - non-joined, basis. They would like the SGC to act as a moderator of sorts during the meetings on the Nox world."

"They have specifically requested your team," Martouf added. "However, Samantha..."

"Will be ready to accompany her team," Sam finished.

"The hell you will," Jack replied. "You are on stand down until B-day."

"B-day?" Jacob asked.

"Baby day," all of SG1 chorused.

"Gate travel does not harm her or the baby in any way," Martouf supplied.

"And the only reason I am on stand down is that I can't walk far or fight if need be."

"Neither of which is an issued on the Nox world," Daniel put in.

"You are *so* not helping me here," Jack growled.

"Wasn't trying to."

He'd argued. He'd ordered. He'd begged. Though he'd denied it was begging. But she was determined. So in the end he'd shouldered his pack and led her into the gate room. Her hand firmly in his despite a glare from a passing officer. Jacob turned to greet his daughter and he almost blacked out. Instead of her uniform, she was wearing a long, flowing dress. The same long flowing blue print dress from his nightmare. He staggered.

"Dad?"

"General?"

"I'm OK. Sam you can't go."

"Don't you start in on me."

Jacob swallowed and his head bowed. It rose again, his eyes blazing as Selmak began to speak. "Samantha, the dream your father had? In it you were wearing that dress. I disagree though. I believe you should be in our company now more than ever."

"NO!" Jacob's voice rose. "My dream showed her elsewhere. She will be safer here!"

Selmak took over, "No, Jacob. She will be safer where we can all watch her."

"OK, anyone else completely freaked out by this?" Jack asked watching a man seem to argue with himself.

"Getting there," Sam replied. "Dad, Selmak is right. I want to be with you and Jack. I'd feel safer."

A growl emerged.

"Was that Selmak?" Jack asked from the corner of his mouth.

"No that was Dad, usually means it's a good time to run," Sam smoothed the dress over her belly. "But since that isn't an option. Dad, like it or not I am going. Deal with it."

Jacob scowled. "I hope your daughter is exactly like you!"

Jack grinned, "God so do I!"



*



They emerged from the gate one by one. Jack stepped out on beat ahead of Sam, her hand in his. The first thing he saw was Nafreu, who was almost bouncing. At first sight of Sam, he burst forward. She smiled and opened her arms. He moved more slowly as he reached her, his head cocked to one side.

"Hello, Nafreu," she said.

"Hello, Carter," he replied and accepted her embrace, all the while staring at her stomach. Overcoming his shyness he laid his head onto her and giggled. "She is moving."

"Yes she is."

He wrapped his arms around her, keeping his head on her stomach. His face tightened in concentration. "She is coming soon."

"I hope so, I'm ready for her."

"Very soon."

Nareem was the next to advance. "You are looking well, Samantha. Schrodinger has been missing you."

She accepted his embrace more awkwardly. "I've missed him."

Nareem smiled down to Nafreu. "You should return home now. The Nox are not fully pleased with our decision to join the Tok'Ra. They say they will allow us to remain here only if it does not threaten their lives. And they want no part of the meetings."

Nafreu nodded, unhappily and disappeared.



*



As meetings went, this one was no more interesting than any other Jack had attended in his career. Sure there were three species at the table but hey. He spent his morning watching Sam. He should've married her by now. Their daughter... It still made him smile... Their daughter would be born soon. As the Tollians began to submit different possible pieces of technology available, Jack took it as his cue to exit.

He made an excuse and slipped out. Sam caught his eye and smiled but kept her seat.



*



Sam knew it was time to move. Her back was one big ache. She should've left when Jack did but was enthralled with the technology being presented by the Tollians to win over the Tok'Ra representatives. If Earth had had some of this they wouldn't have had to offer hosts. But then she wouldn't have her father around to see her daughter born. He was coming back to Earth with them to wait for B-day.

She cleared her throat, "I'm sorry gentlemen but I must leave for a few minutes." She put a hand on Daniel's arm, partially to keep him seated, but also to balance. "Don't let me interrupt." But every man in the room rose with her. Two of the Tollians and a member of SG3 moved as if to escort her out. Some things are universal, it was nice to see chivalry was one of them.

One of the Marine guards stood outside and reached for her arm as she emerged. "Thank you, major, but I can manage."

"Yes, ma'am, but you looked a little unsteady there," he replied.

"Warm in there. Seen the soldier who did this to me around anywhere?"

He let out a snicker. "The colonel headed towards the gate, ma'am." He watched as she walked away. "Lucky son of a..." He shook his head.



*



Jacob was sitting off to one side. He was there as the tie between the Tok'Ra and the Tau'Ri. But he felt like a fifth wheel. He wondered vaguely where his daughter had gone.



*



Jack finished his call of nature and began to walk back to the village. He passed Sam within ten feet, but never saw her through the dense foliage.



*



Sam reached the clearing and the Stargate. Jack wasn't in sight so she crossed to sit on a rock. She decided to give him a few minutes then head back.



*



The meeting began to break up. Once Sam had left, the others realized they too were stiff and hungry. Jacob emerged from the hut and saw Jack. Alone. Jack paused to speak to the Marine sentry.











Jack saw Jacob stumble and started forward. Then Jacob reared back and bellowed, "SAM!"

"She was heading for the gate sir," the Marine replied and they took off at a run. "I thought that was where you were going, sir."



*



Sam saw movement and turned rising, "Jack?"

"No."

It took her a moment to place the name with the face. "Rul'an," she said. "Has the meeting broken up?"

"Yes," the Tok'Ra answered. "Why did you have to come back Jolinar?"

"Rul'an, I am Captain Samantha Carter."

"Jolinar. I see you in there. I know."

Something in Sam kicked in. All of her years of training took over. Fight or flight. And in her condition, only one option seemed viable. She clenched her hand into the dirt that covered the rock and threw it at him, then ran. Rul'an staggered back then gave chase.



*



Sam hid herself in a small circle of trees. Her head was pounding, either from the rise in her blood pressure or the memories that suddenly flooded her. Memories that Jolinar had tried to hide.

Memories of the woman, of Martouf's love. Dying. Being killed. Of the knowledge that the child she had tried so hard to protect was gone. Of leaving the host, seeing the host, there bloody on the ground. Sam's hands wrapped around her own baby. Rul'an had killed Jolinar. Out of rage and jealousy. He and Martouf had been friends. And he'd wanted Jolinar for his own.

The knowledge that Jolinar had died, not in the fight against the Goa'uld but in a senseless killing but one of her own.

Filled her with such anguish that she cried out.



Sam whirled as her father's voice reached her. Her arms came up to defend herself. As she did, Rul'an stabbed downward. The blow cut through her upper arm and into her side just above the baby.

"I am going to cut that baby out of you!" he snarled.

Suddenly his eyes glowed and his voice took on the Goa'uld quality, "Kill him, I cannot control him long."

"You'll die!"

"KILL HIM NOW!"

Sam shook her head and stumbled back. This was too much. The human half was demented and enraged. The Goa'uld inside was fighting to control the man. She staggered but managed to begin running in what she hoped was the direction of the village.

She heard his furious cry. Knew that the Goa'uld had lost the battle for supremacy. She ran. Holding her bleeding arm close to her body, wondering why in the hell she hadn't strapped on a weapon. Stumbling she burst from the woods into the gate clearing. She searched for a place to go. No way was she leading this maniac back through the gate to Earth, even if she had a remote transmitter.

He came out of the darkness. Madness glinting in his eyes even as sunlight glinted from the blade. The blade that now dripped with blood. He was beyond words, as was she. He advanced steadily.

Bang.

She shuddered with the first gunshot as if it sliced through her own body. It was followed immediately by a second and a third. Rul'an staggered and fell.

Jack advanced from the woods at a fast clip, Teal'c on his heels. The rest of the Tok'Ra and the SG teams followed soon after. Jack stopped over the twitching body and leveled his weapon to the man's head.

"JACK NO!" Sam screamed. "It was the man not the Goa'uld. He killed Jolinar. We need a new host!"

She said all she could and felt her body buckle. Jack leapt over the man and raced to her. She sank into his arms. "Don't let them destroy the Goa'uld. He wasn't to blame. He couldn't fight Rul'an's madness."

"Shh, easy," Jack said.

Three Nox appeared in front of them and the world shifted.



*



The first time he'd traveled like this he'd been too... well, too *dead* to notice the journey. It felt similar to the trip through the Stargate. A sudden rush filled him and he closed his eyes to fight the dizziness. When he opened them, they were back in the village. He carried Sam into a cabin.

Teal'c and Daniel accompanied Jacob and Martouf back to the village.

"I guess this seals the Tollians with the Tok'Ra," Daniel remarked.

"Wish it could've been any other way, but Seetha will act as a conduit just as I do. She'll do well, she's a bright young woman," Jacob said.

"I cannot believe Rul'an killed Jolinar," Martouf murmured.

"Seetha confirmed this. The Tok'Ra could not control Rul'an once the madness descended," Teal'c supplied.

"I hope they could help Sam," Daniel said.

"I'm sure they... Jack?" Jacob caught the man by the shoulders. "What is it son?"

"Sam. She's in labor. They Nox can't heal her until the baby comes, we need Janet!"



*



Teal'c ran full tilt out of the gate and slammed passed two guards. Hammond blinked as the huge Jaffa flew by without a pause. He ran into the infirmary, scaring two nurses.

"Teal'c? What is it?" Janet greeted.

"Sam. Hurt. Baby. Coming. Need you. Now." Each word was punctuated by pants and gasps.

Janet snatched up her medical bag as Hammond raced in. "Seems Sam has decided to have this baby there, sir."

"I knew it!" Hammond snapped.



*



"It's going to be OK, right?" Sam asked as the contraction loosened its grip.

"It's going to be fine," Jack replied. They had bandaged her arm and side and were now helping her walk in small circles around the hut.

"Where's Janet?"

"On her way."

"Here," Janet said from the doorway. "Nice birthing room Sam."

"Captain!" General Hammond said from the doorway. "You gave me your word that you would have this baby in a nice safe hospital surrounded by the best doctors and nurses and enough oxygen tanks to keep us all from passing out."

"Sorry, sir," Sam replied.



*



Every contraction felt like it was going to snap her back in half. At first she'd been dismayed by the number of people in the room. No only were Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, and Janet present but her father and the general refused to budge. She really hadn't wanted an audience.

She was propped up on the bed. Jack and Daniel sat behind her, holding her forward. Teal'c and her father held her feet against their chest, giving her something to brace against as well as rubbing out the cramps that seized her calves. The general had been drafted and was helping Janet's assistant ready the incubator.

"OK Sam, whenever you're ready," the general said expectantly.

Sam blew a sweaty strand of hair back from her face. "Somebody shoot him."

"Didn't bring a gun," Janet replied. "When we get back OK? Sam you are fully dilated and the baby has moved down. Next contraction I need you to push down, just like we talked about. Jack, help her concentrate on her breathing and count for her. Daniel, keep rubbing her lower back," she snapped orders left and right. "OK people, ShowTime!"

"HBO," Jack replied. "Can't show favoritism." Despite the pain, Sam chuckled.

"Push Sam, that's it, I have her head."

"Oh my God, you can really see it Sam!" Jacob cried.

"There's really a baby coming out of you!"

"And they wonder where I get my brains," Sam snapped.

"Breathe for me Sam."

"And 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, let it out and in and push, 2" Jack coached. "You're doing beautifully Sam."

The group took a collective breath as she pushed again and the baby was born.

"Congratulations momma," Janet whispered tears were streaming down her face.

The baby's wail filled the hut. Outside a unanimous cheer went up.



*



Jack sat cradling Sam and the baby. The Nox had healed Sam's arm. He pulled back the blanket to see the round face of their daughter.

"Guess we can't call her Jack Daniels," Jack said.

"Like she really would've let us," Daniel retorted. He sat on one side of the bed, Teal'c on the other.

"Her name is, and has always been, Meghan Anne," Sam replied.

"Hello Meghan Anne, happy birthday," Daniel smiled.

"Meghan Anne Carter-O'Neill," Jack tested. "Sounds good."

"Meghan Anne O'Neill sounds better," Sam responded.

"Are you sure?"

"Very." Just then Meghan began to fuss. "Hungry little one?" She should feel embarrassed, but didn't. Even as Jack opened up the bodice of her dress and helped her place the baby against her breast and three men hovered watching the baby take her first meal.

"Marry me."

Sam looked up to find Jack no longer watching the newborn but staring at her face. "What?"

"Marry me."

She just smiled.



*



Much later Sam awoke when someone lifted the baby from the basket next to her.

"Just me little one," Jacob whispered. "Wanted to see this little miracle again." He began to rock. "I remember when you were born. You were so tiny, so much smaller then the boys had been. I was almost afraid to hold you. Then some huge bear of a nurse sat me in a chair and put you in my arms. And you just looked at me. So much innocence in that first look. So much wonder and beauty." Sam had tears streaming down her face. Jack, who lay curled behind her, wiped them gently. "I have always been proud of you Sam. I may not have said it. But I was. If I had to pick the best day of my life, that would have come in second. This is first. Selmak wants to talk now."

His head bowed then lifted, eyes glowing, "Samantha, this is a wonderful day. Jacob was overwhelmed by it all."

"But not speechless, must be a Carter trait," Jack remarked.

"Yes, Jacob is rarely speechless, and he can hear you now Jack."

"Oops."

Selmak gazed down at the child, "I almost feel like a grandparent myself now. Your father's love for you has filled me from the beginning. It's like that you know. Our love of sons and daughters fills us completely." Jacob's voice emerged again and began to sing softly, but in a strange language.

Jack listened quietly. Thoughts of another child flowing. He would tell his daughter about her brother someday.

Daniel listened sadly. Thoughts of his own childhood filled him. Alone in the world. That would not happen to Meghan, he swore silently.

Teal'c listened reflectively. His own son was growing fast. And soon would be able to take his place next to his father in the fight for their people. That day would be his best. The day he could show his son who he was. And why he'd left him and his mother. And maybe forgive himself.

George Hammond listened and mused. He would call his children this week. His wife often said she missed them. It was time he took a vacation. Once Jack's paternity leave was through, he could leave him in charge, relatively sure he would not have any desire to go off world. They would go visit. See the grandkids. Janet listened somberly. She wanted Cassandra. Wanted to hold her own little girl.

Sam listened tearfully. She had heard her father sing before but never was it so moving. The song was for her and Meghan, but also for every other son and daughter. She had never felt so surrounded and so full of love before. She was tired and she hurt, but it was the most wonderful feeling she'd every sensed. Through it ran a sense of peace that she could only identify as Jolinar's. A baby had been lost and could never be replaced. But a life had begun today. A life created by her and Jack. Created of love.



*



"So you going to marry me or what?"

"Jack we don't have to."

"No we don't. But I want to. I want to share the rest of my life with you. I want to make more babies with you. Make them put a nursery next to the lab. I want to wake up each morning with you by my side. I want to have you explain wormhole physics to me over coffee in our kitchen. I want..."

"Yes."

"Yes? To what?"

"To all of it."

"Cool."

This was a day he would never forget. His best day.

the end.