samandjack.net

Story Notes: Here's my new story. Hope you have Kleenex handy. I know I did, and I wrote the story. Talk soon and enjoy. Let me know what you thought! Thanks! Talk soon.

Tiffany Flowers

(tiffanyflowers2@hotmail.com)

RATING: PG (suggested violence)

ARCHIVE: VANESSA'S SG-1 ARCHIVE ONLY!!!! Marla's too!! {sorry, Mar}

DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of SG-1 belong to MGM, Gekko Film Corp., and Double Secret Productions. This fan fiction was written soley for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it. I own only the story and its plotline. Also, no copyright or trademark infringements were or are intended. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is merely coincidental and was not intended by this author.

FEEDBACK: For this story in particular, it is highly appreciated and wanted. Flames will be ignored.

SUMMARY: Jack sees a T.V. newscast that throws him back into his past. He learns to heal his heart and mind through this incident, thanks to Sam's help and understanding.

WARNINGS: Have Kleenex handy, I know I did.

SPOILERS: Cold Lazarus, In The Line Of Duty, and A Matter Of Time (last line of the story)

NOTES: ~ represents thought {} represents dreams/flashbacks

DEDICATIONS: REAL LIFE: To the victims of the Littleton shootings and their families and friends that have to deal with the emotional trauma. SG-1 LIFE: For O'Neill's own emotional and mental healing process as well.

THANKS: My thanks goes out to my two wonderful beta-readers Arla and Marla, without whom, this story would most likely not be here posted now! And to Lola, for inspiring me to write again, thanks! Without them, this story would have just sat on my desk collecting dust. Thanks you guys. {sniff sniff}



Copyright 1999 TIFFANY FLOWERS


{BANG!} Jack O'Neill sat up, drenched in sweat and shaking, holding his face in his hands. The visions of his dream still haunting him. He looked at his watch, noticing that it was well after one o'clock in the afternoon. He had never done that before, even while on the base. He had *never* overslept, that is.

"Colonel O'Neill to Rec Room," he heard on the PA system. "Colonel O'Neill to Rec Room." He got up and put on his boots, then opened the door to his quarters, and headed to the Rec Room.

As he was walking down the hallway, Jack noticed that the usual hustle and bustle of the place was "dead", so to speak.

~Where is everyone?~ Jack thought, wondering if this was some practical joke or something that someone was playing on him. But he would soon find out that it was not a joke.

When he entered the recreation room, he suddenly stopped where he stood, a solemn feeling was overwhelming to him. For a minute, he stood there, staring at the many technicians and military officers alike. Then a certain blonde caught his attention.

Sam ran up to him, threw her arms around him and began to cry heavily. Jack, who was not expecting this, just went with the flow. He put one arm around her shoulders and his other hand was holding her head, consoling her as she cried, leaving tear stains on his fatigue jacket that he had put on as a last minute idea.

"It's okay, Carter," Jack said, not knowing what was going on. "What happened?" Sam only looked up, but then threw her head back to his already wet chest, sobbing harder than before.

"Jack," someone said anxiously. "thank God you're here." Jack turned his head to the right, seeing a very familiar face. That face belonged to Daniel Jackson, who had a worried look on his face.

Jack, who was still holding onto Sam, looked at the young anthropologist and saw a look of sorrow filled in his eyes. Jack was confused at the ruckus that Daniel was producing.

"Daniel," Jack began. "What the HELL is going on here?" he finished, getting slightly irritated not knowing why he was here.

"Jack, I'm not gonna lie to ya," Daniel stated flatly, yet solemnly. "it's not a pretty site." Daniel led Jack, who still held Carter, to the front of the group gathering and stood by General Hammond and Teal'c. Teal'c turned his attention to O'Neill and nodded to him.

"Teal'c." Jack said.

"O'Neill." Teal'c replied stoically.

Suddenly, the television that everyone was focused on, caught the colonel's attention.

"Reports at this time are still sketchy," the television said, also sounding grave. "We know at this time, that there are 13 to 14 high school students injured. Most are in critical condition." the reporter said. Jack didn't hear the rest, because he was focused on what he was seeing on the screen. He looked at Sam, who still clung to him like a hurt child that he saw on T.V., then looked back at the tv itself.

"Again," the reporter started. "there have been gunshots fired at a local Littleton high school. Two teenage boys are believed to be holding hostages at this time. More news when it becomes available."

Jack just stood there, watching the horror unfold before him. AGAIN! Letting go of Carter, Jack pushed his way through the crowd and left the room in a hurry.

Teal'c, who noticed this, looked from Daniel to Sam, with an eyebrow raised. Daniel just shrugged, knowing that Jack wanted to be alone right now, then returned his attention back to the tv. Sam was different and couldn't leave Jack alone at a time like this. She turned and walked out, trying to figure where he might have gone. She decided to check the locker room, being that that was where his "other" went the last time.



{"Look what came home from school today." Sara said, smiling at her husband. He looked over her shoulder at recently taken school pictures of a smiling boy about the age of 10. Their son, Charlie.

"Is Charlie about ready?" Jack asked, still smiling at the pictures.

"Yeah, he was running around here a minute ago." Sara answered. Suddenly, a shot rang out and Jack was on his feet in terror, running towards the house, while Sara started to scream her son's name. "CHAAARLIIIEEEEE!!"}



Jack, Sam observed, was sitting on the bench in front of his locker, rocking back and forth. Seeing this, Sam walked in the room, sat next to him, and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him like he had with her.

Feeling a hand on his shoulder, Jack looked up and saw Sam with concern in her eyes. He had tears running down his face, Sam noticed sadly.

Suddenly, Jack grabbed Sam in a hug and buried his face in her shoulder, sobbing himself.

~Holy Hanna!~ Sam thought. She had never once seen this 'Man of Steel' shed a tear, even when she and Jolinar were dying.

"Colonel," Sam said softly, not knowing what to do or what to say. "do you want to talk about it?" She was very concerned for him.

"Carter," Jack started. "how can kids do this to each other?" he asked, stating a *very* logical question. Sadness touched his already emotionally spent voice.

"I don't know," Sam answered. "I don't think anybody knows why, sir." she finished.

"I saw the tv," Jack replied. "I immediately thought of Charlie and how he died." Jack wiped his face off with his black T-shirt.

"I know, sir," Sam stated. "but that wasn't your fault. Charlie's death or those kids' deaths. You can't blame yourself, Jack." Sam ended. Jack nodded in understanding. Sam tried to make him feel better, but she knew that he needed time to heal from the emotional trauma that he had faced.

~Time heals all wounds.~ Sam thought, knowing that the statement was true. ~For some that is.~ she concluded.

Jack and Sam sat in the locker room for two hours talking, remembering and shedding more tears. Jack showed Sam pictures of him, Charlie and Sara. He even showed her some pictures of his family and early military years. Sam looked at Jack and smiled. Jack returned the warm smile, then leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. When he looked back at her, Sam's brow was furrowed. He only grinned at her. Sam smiled, knowing that he was thanking her in his own way. What Jack did next, took Sam by total surprise. He leaned down and gave her full, pink lips a deep kiss, but with no promises or regrets.

"Thank you, Carter," Jack said when they parted. "I needed that." Sam only looked at him, confused.

"Sir," Sam asked, confusion apparent in her voice. "I don't understand."

"Carter," Jack started, sound like he was going to give her a lecture. "You are a great friend and you understand me. I thank you." he ended and kissed her again.

After parting, Sam smiled and hugged him. He hugged her back and smiled, knowing that he could count on her.

"I'm here for ya, sir," Sam stated. "Your welcome. But the question is, are you going to be okay?" Sam asked, concern apparent again in her eyes.

As if he had read her earlier thought, Jack smiled and simply replied to her inquiry.

"Time heals all wounds, Sam," he smiled wider, knowing that he wouldn't have to go through this tragedy alone. "Time will heal *ALL* wounds, Captain." Jack hugged Sam again and then kissed her, feeling no signs of resistance from her.

Jack and Sam decided to leave base for a while and "heal" the new open wounds of this devistating tragedy. They walked out of the room hand in hand.

~Time for everything, Colonel.~ Sam thought with a smile. She would always stand by her friends, no matter the costs. ~Time.~



THE END