samandjack.net

Story Notes: FEEDBACK; MBIRKY@HOTMAIL.COM

CHALLENGE; 1999 TELLING JANET CHALLENGE.

CATEGORY; S AND J ROMANCE

ARCHIVE SAM AND JACK, PLEASE


"You're late."

"I know, I got tied up, sorry."

"Really?"

"Janet! I meant I was busy."

"I know. That's why I called you."

"I thought you called me to discuss medical training for SG1".

"Oh no. Though Jack did mention you might need some training in bone-setting."

"Did he?"

"Yes, but it was a lead into asking my advice."

"YOUR advice?"

"Mmm hmm. He wanted to know what you would say if he asked you out for a drink after work."

"He did WHAT?"

"I said faint heart never won fair lady."

"And..."

"And... I saw you both last night. Coming out of the pub, with your arms round each other. Drunk."

"We were NOT drunk."

"So that's one excuse you can't use."

"We were merry."

"I'll say."

"Janet..."

"So tell."

"Tell?"

"Tell. Everything."

"Janet!"

"C'mon, if it hadn't been for me, he'd never have asked you out in the first place. I deserve a little feedback. And you're dying to tell really. C'mon, from the very beginning."

"Well, he caught me on the way out of the base, asked if I would like to come for a drink. I didn't realise he meant a date..."

"Would you have said no?"

"I'd have probably shrieked and run away and spent the rest of the night curled up in bed kicking myself."

"So, he got you to the pub. What then."

"Well, we sat down and started to talk. Really talk, instead of just discussing missions. We talked for ages. Turned out we liked some of the same films and music. Did you know he reads a lot? Recommended some good books. I have to say, I was surprised... pleasantly surprised."

"And then?"

"Well, we talked for about two hours, then Sara's name came up."

"Oh dear. Not good."

"No, it wasn't like that! He told me how he had loved her for years, but he had come to realise lately that it wasn't true love, it was just a habit he'd fallen into, a way to protect himself."

"Oh, that's good. He's just realised it lately has he?"

"That's what he said. Why?"

"Don't give me that innocent look, Samantha Carter. You know damn well what I'm talking about. Look, you're blushing."

"Ok, I'll admit. My heart skipped a beat. You know, I thought that was all romantic novel rubbish, but its true. My heart really DID skip a beat."

"Yeah yeah, very romantic. And then?"

"Calm down Janet, you're drooling. Then I said 'when are Daniel and Teal'c coming?' And he looked down, then looked up, and I swear he was blushing..."

"Jack blushed?"

"And he said 'They're not. It's just you and me Sam. Do you mind?"

"Oh my God! That's so sweet? What did you say?"

"Well, I had a lot to drink..."

"So you dropped your hard military soldier act and said..."

"'That's just fine by me. Perfect in fact.'"

"Thank God!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It mean's you've been mooning after him since you got on the base..."

"Mooning?"

"But you've been so busy trying to prove you're one of the guys that you've never noticed him mooning after you..."

"Jack mooning?"

"And the two of you have finally started mooning together!"

"Anyway, to get back to the story... we drank some more. I think we were both a bit nervous. Then a song started on the jukebox and he asked me to dance."

"Jack can dance?"

"Oh yeah."

"What was the song?"

"Something slow. I don't remember."

"You don't remember? What are you going to tell your grandchildren when they ask?"

"OK, I think it was 'Always On My Mind.' Anyway, he just held me close, and looked deep into my eyes. He's got such deep dark eyes Janet. I could stare into them forever."

"Mm-hmm. And then?"

"Well, then, he just put his hand under my chin, lifted my face up, and then kissed me very slowly, very gently."

"Oh my God! What was it like?"

"I had these little shivers running all through my body. I just started trembling. When he stopped, I just stood there and stared at him. I couldn't move. Then he said 'Breathe, Sam' and I said 'You first'."

"Wow. And then?"

"I was dizzy. Lack of oxygen I suppose."

"Yeah, right."

"Anyway, I tried to walk, but I stumbled. He caught me, and said 'I think its time to take you home'. I just nodded. My skin was practically burning where he was holding me. Anyway, that's when we left, holding on to each other to stop from falling."

"That must be when I saw you."

"Actually, I think I did see you from the corner of my eye, but I was too wrapped up in Jack to notice."

"Good."

"No, I do remember now. What were you doing with Daniel and Teal'c?"

"Nothing. It isn't important. So what happened when you got home?"

"Well, he walked me up to my front door, then waited till I got the door open. Then he kissed me very gently on the cheek, and said 'Goodnight, Sam'. Then I took a deep breath and said 'Stay'."

"Yes! Did he?"

"He looked at me and said 'Are you sure?'. Janet, my heart was pounding so hard I was sure he could hear it. 'Very sure' I said, and I let him in."

"And then!"

"I'm not telling you what happened next!"

"Not even a little bit?"

"Ok. Well, we just stood there looking at each other for a second, then he reached and brushed his hand against my hair. He just looked like he couldn't believe it was happening. Then I stepped forward, and pulled his head down, and kissed him, long and passionately. His hand slipped down my neck, to my shoulder and..."

"And? Don't leave it there!"

"And that's all you're getting! Honestly Janet, you look like a dog begging for a treat! We are in a public place."

"Doesn't matter. I can tell by your face that it was good."

"Well... it's personal... well... the best I've ever had Janet. The best by a very VERY long shot."

"And in the morning?"

"Well, I woke up first, and I propped myself up on my elbow, and just watched him sleep. He looks so young when he's asleep, Janet, so vulnerable. Then his eyes opened, and I said 'Good morning Colonel'. He just smiled and said 'Good morning Major."

"That's it?"

"No! Then he said 'Regrets Major?' and I said 'None at all. I've been wanting to do that for a long time.'. He just smiled and said 'Me too.'. And then Janet, oh my God, and then he said 'I love you Sam."

"He didn't! That's the best news I've heard in ages! I knew of course. We all knew."

"We?"

"Doesn't matter. What did you say?"

"I said 'I love you too.'"

"And then, he just smiled, he glowed Janet! I've never seen him that happy. I can't believe it's me who's made him that happy. Anyway, he said something about making a mean breakfast, and I said it wasn't food I was hungry for..."

"Sam!"

"Yes, I know. Anyway, we've been... together... all morning and I'm just here now because he wanted me to say thank you to you from him."

"He's more than welcome."

"And he's waiting for me now outside in the car, so I've gotta go."

"I'll sign you both off sick for a couple days if you like."

"That would be great! Oh and Janet? Thank you."

"You're welcome too."

"And Janet? Grandchildren?"

"You never know."

"True."

Sam shrugged and dashed out to the waiting car. Once she was in, it drove off very fast. Janet smiled, then looked up at the two men who joined her.

"Well?"

"Well, Daniel?"

"Did Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill consumate their relationship?"

"Yes Teal'c, they did."

"Damn. Why couldn't they have held out just a little longer? Just a couple more months and I would have won the bet."

"I've no idea. It's no use complaining Daniel, hand the money over."

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you set them up last night."

"You two were with me. Did I say or do anything to encourage them. I never knew they loved each other til she told me."

"They love each other? I thought it was just sex."

"It has been obvious for some time now Daniel Jackson."

"YOU know? Why does no-one ever tell me anything?"

"You should eat lunch here more often." Janet replied, with a twinkle in her eye.



xxxxx

The End