samandjack.net

Story Notes: Required Reading: Can I ask you something, sir?

Disclaimer: The characters are not mine and never will be. I am making no money off of this and I intend no trademark infringement. Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Category: Jack and Janet, Jack and Sam relationships.

Warning: There is sort of a character death.

Archive: Sam and Jack.

Summary: The events directly after Can I ask you Something, sir?

e mail: elisemarie@cwcom.net


Dreams



Major Samantha Carter was on her way to the General's office. She noticed the door was slightly open so with a gentle tap she opened it further.

"General, sir, I have..." She paused as she looked at Colonel O'Neill and Doctor Fraiser somewhat suspiciously. Was it her imagination or had they jumped apart when she had entered the room? "I, uh, I have those files you requested, sir."

She forced her attention back to the General. He didn't look too good.

"Just...Just put them on the table there."

She did as he asked but her gaze kept drifting back to Janet and the Colonel. When she did look back at the General he really looked unwell.

"Sir, are you okay?"

He didn't reply he just grabbed at his chest and fell to the floor.

"Doc!" Janet tore her attention from the Colonel and rushed to the General's side.

"Get a med unit in here, now. The General's having a heart attack."



*****



Sam was sat outside the infirmary with Colonel O'Neill beside her. Janet was in the infirmary with General Hammond and Sam was hoping that he would be okay.

"Colonel, what do you think caused the heart attack?"

She heard him sigh. "To be truthful, Major, I think it was me."

"You?"

"I'd just told him that Janet and I are getting married."

Sam tried to contain her shock at this but it was all too much. The General, Jack and Janet, dying, marrying. It was all too much. She burst into tears and Jack held her closely as she sobbed against his chest.

"Don't worry, Hammond'll be fine." He reassured her.

It wasn't that she didn't care about the General, he was like a father to her, but the thought of losing Jack scared her even more. She couldn't lose Jack, not to her best friend, not to anyone. She'd never thought of him as anything more than her Colonel, her commanding officer but now... Well, now she thought of him as hers and no one else could have him. She didn't know where these feelings of hurt and jealousy had come from but they were real and she had to tell him.

She looked up into his brown eyes and saw them properly for the first time. Without saying a word she moved in closer and kissed him.



*****



Sam sat bolt upright in bed. Her breathing was irregular and she was hot and sweaty. What a dream, she thought to herself. She took some long deep breaths to calm herself.

"You okay, Sam?"

Sam looked at her lover lying next to her. "Yeah, fine. Go back to sleep."

"Only if you come too."

She laid down and turned away from her lover.

"Did you have a bad dream?"

"No, I..." How could she explain it to him? 'No honey. I was just dreaming about my CO getting engaged to Janet. Oh yeah, and then I kissed him.' Yeah that'd work! She told herself. "Just go back to sleep. You've got a long day tomorrow."

"Okay." It was a barely audible mumble.

She felt him move closer as he slipped an arm round her waist. The dream had been so real. The feelings of jealousy had been real. The guilt she now felt was way to real.

"Good night, Sam. Love you." Her lover whispered.

"Goodnight," she hesitated, "I love you too, Daniel."



The End