samandjack.net

Story Notes: Warnings: Character deaths

Spoilers: None

Required reading: Can I ask you Something, sir? and Dreams

Summary: What happens after Sam's weird dream?

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters, I am making no money off of this, I intend no trademark infringement, any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Archive: Sam and Jack, Heliopolis please

e-mail: elisemarie@cwcom.net


Colonel Jack O'Neill walked into SG-1's office and saw Major Samantha Carter sat at a computer with Doctor Daniel Jackson at the other desk. He saw Sam yawn.

"Long night?" He asked

"Uh-huh." Sam nodded. "Couldn't sleep after a weird dream."

"You have to get used to sleepless nights, sweetie, with the baby on its way." Daniel said.

"Baby?" Jack asked trying to contain his shock.

"Did we forget to tell you?" Daniel said walking over to Sam. With a large smile on his face he said, "We're expecting a baby."

"Congratulations." Jack said with false enthusiasm.

"Thanks." Sam smiled weakly. She didn't seem too happy.

"Ooh! I'm late. Gotta go." Daniel said picking up a pile of papers. "See you later, sweetie." He kissed Sam's forehead. "See ya later, Jack."

"Later." Jack said. After he heard the door close he turned to Sam. "So, what's up?"

"Hmm? Oh nothing."

He looked at her dubiously.

"Daniel's so happy and I... and I... I don't know. I never planned on having children."

"You're not considering an..."

"What? No, God no! It's just... I don't know. It's a shock. I keep thinking this is a dream."

He pinched her lightly, "Nope, not a dream."

"Thanks. I guess it's because we've only been together a short while, I don't even now how I feel about him. I feel we're kind of rushing things."

"Tell him to back off."

"How can I do that? I'm pregnant with his child."

The klaxons sounded and Jack and Sam ran to the control room. Once there they were met with Teal'c and an open iris.

"Close the iris." Jack ordered.

"No need, sir." Sam said sitting down in front of the computer. "We're getting a code."

They soon saw Master Bra'tac emerge through the gate.

"Let's go greet him." Jack said smiling as Sam and Teal'c followed him.



*****



"Master Bra'tac." Jack greeted but he walked straight past him and onto Teal'c.

"Forgive me."

"For what?" Teal'c asked his mentor in confusion.

Suddenly someone else emerged through the gate. It was Apophis and he was surrounded by Jaffa. The Jaffa immediately began firing and everyone ran for cover. Sam and Jack ducked behind the same shield. Sam got out her hand gun and she began to use it, firing at the increasing number of Jaffa. Jack was about to use his gun when a bolt of energy hit Sam sending her flying back. Not caring about his own safety, Jack crawled over to her.

"Major?"

She coughed and blood trickled out her mouth.

"Sam, answer me."

"Jack." She whispered.

"Sam, hold on. Don't let go."

"Can't. Hurts. Want to. Sleep."

"No, Sam, you can't. Don't close your eyes. I'm ordering you Carter. Do not close your eyes."

"Have to. Pain. Have to."

"No, Sam, don't please." He begged knowing she was slipping away and that there was nothing he could do about it.

"Jack?"

"I'm here, Sam, I'm here." He grabbed her hand.

"Can't see. Bright light. Welcoming. Have to. Go."

"Sam, please." She squeezed his hand back.

"Jack. Love." she whispered the next word as her hand went limp in Jack's.

"Sam," he tried to wake her up. "Wake up, please." he paused. "I... I... I love you too."

Before he got a chance to say anything else or exact revenge on her killer a shot from a zat gun hit him. He collapsed to the floor writhing in pain. As the pain began to subside his attacker loomed over him. It was Apophis himself. Jack watched as Apophis pulled the trigger for a second time.



*****



"Aargh!" Jack screamed. He opened his eyes and tried to sit up but someone restrained him.

"Glad to see you're awake, Colonel." Doctor Fraiser said.

"What... What?" He couldn't speak properly. His tongue was too big for his mouth.

"What happened?" Janet asked and he nodded. "You and the rest of SG-1 ingested some nasty hallucinogenics on your last mission. You've been out of it for days."

"The others?"

"They woke up earlier. They have some pretty interesting stories to tell. Do you?"

"Carter and me - engaged. You and me - engaged. General dead. Carter and Daniel, baby. Carter dead. Me dead."

"Okay. I'll let you rest before getting the details of our engagement."

"Visitors?"

"Once you've rested and your tongue's gone down."



*****



Two days later SG-1 were discussing their hallucinations.

"And then Colonel O'Neill got shot and died. Then I died by Apophis' hand." Sam explained.

"Similar to mine, "Jack said, "Except you died first in mine."

"No one died in mine." Daniel said.

"Nor mine."

Daniel yawned. "I'm off to bed. I need sleep."

"As do I." Teal'c said following Daniel out the room. Jack and Sam sat in silence for a long moment before both of them spoke.

"Sir, I was just wondering..."

"Major, I was wondering if..."

They both smiled. "Ladies first, Major."

"Okay." She hesitated. "I was wondering if I said anything when I died in your hallucination."

"Other than 'aargh - I've been shot.'" He noticed her look and apologized. "Sorry. Why? Did I say anything?"

"I asked first, sir."

"Ladies first, Major."

"Guess I was wrong." she said standing up and walking off. Remembering the hallucinations he remembered the joy of being with her and pain at losing her. Jumping out of his chair he caught up to her and he spun her round. His heart was beating fast and he felt nervous. What should he say? He didn't know, all he knew was he couldn't let her leave. Holding her by the arms he pulled her closer and kissed her. After a moment he pulled away slightly to look her in the eye. She smiled and kissed him back.



*****

The End.