samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-Mail: jenny_corrin@freeuk.com

Status: Can stand alone, but I might write a sequel

Spoilers: None, I think.

Season/Sequel info: Um, any time after season 3. No sequels as yet.

Archiving: If you really want to archive drivel like this, go ahead, just let me know first!


Sam sat alongside the colonel, with Danny and Teal'c opposite them. General Hammond finally dismissed them, and they all stood, stretched and headed out of the office.

"Sam?" Danny called after her.

"Yeah?"

"You coming to the bar later on?"

"Yeah, sure. Sir? You coming?"

"S'pose so, yeah."

"I will accompany you also"

"Right! See you all at my place at about, um, 8.30?"

"Sounds good to me."

Danny headed of to his office to pick up something or other he needed at home, with Teal'c following close behind. Jack and Sam walked together along the corridor to the locker room. They both changed quickly into civvies and set of, walking exactly in time, to the lift.

When Sam arrived at Daniel's house, she was surprised to see the colonel's car already there. She jumped up the steps, and knocked.

"Hey, Sam. Come in, you're the last, but Jacks, er..."

"Using the toilet"

"Yeah! How'd you guess."

"I'm psychic, didn't you know?"

"Oh for cryin' out loud..."

"That's my line!"

"Jack!" Danny jumped - actually physically jumped - "You scared the life out of me!"

"That *was* the general idea."

Sam tried not to let her mouth fall open at the sight of Jack O'Neill. She had seen him in civvies before - many times, in fact - but tonight he looked, well, amazing. He wore dark black jeans, which accentuated his long legs, a blood red shirt that shimmered when he moved, and his leather jacket, bought over 40 years ago, and still good as new!

Meanwhile, Jack was doing some staring of his own. Sam looked great. She wore dark blue jeans, a white T-shirt and her leather jacket. Her clothes, on anyone else, would be ordinary, even a bit masculine, but he loved them. Like he lo- liked her. 'She's your friend, O'Neill', he reminded himself. 'And your 2IC'.

"Come on! Let's go!"

Danny was getting impatient, standing shoulder to shoulder with Teal'c, who looked for all the world like a statue on steroids.

"All right. Come on then."

They all went outside and climbed into Jacks car.

"Looks like I'm driving, then," he grumbled as he slid into the passenger seat.

"I will drive on our return, O'Neill."

"Thanks, Teal'c."

The drive to the bar was uneventful, with Sam and Jack giving each other sidelong glances, trying not to get caught. In the back seat, Daniel and Teal'c exchanged knowing looks. Teal'c smiled.

Once they got there, Jack stopped outside the front of the building to let everyone get out, then drove off to find a parking spot. 'Nearly blew there O'Neill' he told himself. 'Gotta stop staring. Control. Yeah, right.'

"Danny, Teal'c, waddaya want to drink?"

"I'll have a beer, please."

"Water."

"OK, be back in a few."

Sam headed off to the bar, glancing at the door just in time to see Jack walk in. She quickly looked away, her face turning red. 'Smart move that was, Sam.' "Hey, you alright?"

Sam felt a hand fall on her shoulder and turned to face him. "What? Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"Good. You want a drink?"

"I'm buyin'. What do you want?"

'You' "Beer, please"

Sam looked at him and smiled, turning back to the barman as he set the drinks down on the counter. "Oh, and another beer, please."

"Sure thing."

Jack and Sam headed back to the table where Teal'c and Daniel sat, in deep conversation about some rocks. Or artefacts. Whatever you want to call them. "Thanks, Sam. Oh, by the way Jack, I've got a job for you. Teal'c wants to know the significance of the word 'kinky'. He overheard some guys talking, and I figured..."

"Daniel..."

"Yeah?"

"Have I ever told you I hate you sometimes?"

"Often."

"Right, Teal'c. The word kinky refers to...."

Sam turned and looked around the bar, trying not to listen to her colonels description of kinky. God knew it wouldn't help her feelings at the moment, especially not with O'Neill sitting so close to her his knee was brushing against her thigh every time he moved.

"Sam? Sam, come on, pay attention here!"

"What? What did you say?"

"You've been staring at the DJ for the last 5 minutes. Seeing something you like?"

"Uh, not really," she muttered, turning pink.

Jack stood up. "'Scuse me a minute, guys," he said, and walked off in the direction of the bathroom.

"So Sam, do you think Jacks description of kinky was good enough?"

"Sorry Danny, I can't tell you. I wasn't really listening." Danny scooted closer to her.

"Sam, you OK?"

"Yeah, Danny, I'm OK."

"Sure?"

"Yeah."

"Good." He rubbed her back gently and moved away again, just as Jack came back to his seat.

They talked, laughed and drank for another hour or so, then Jack suddenly sat up straighter in his chair, listening intently.

"Uh, Jack?"

Jack shook himself and turned to Sam. "Sorry, just listening to this song. I've heard it before. Its good."

"Flying Without Wings. Westlife."

"What? Sam, I didn't know you knew about such things!"

"Its, er, been on the radio a lot recently." 'Yeah, and you've imagined dancing with him to it a lot recently, as well.'

"Sam. Care to dance?" He stuck out a hand, and she slowly took it, rising to her feet.

As Jack led her to the dance floor, Sam was intensly aware of the feel of his skin on hers. Then he pulled her into his arms, and all else was lost.

"Sam?"

"Mmm?"

"It doesn't matter"

Her soft 'Mmm' in reply told him she didn't really mind, and he concentrated on the woman in his arms. He held her with one arm around her waist, the other hand holding hers tightly to his chest. Her left arm went under his and around his back, and her head rested gently on his shoulder.

They stayed like this, barely moving to the song, until it finished. Jack carefully unwrapped his arm from around her waist and hers from around his. "Sam?" She didn't reply. "Sam! Come on, answer me!" He carefully lifted her head from his chest and looked at her. Her eyes were closed, and she was flushed bright pink. He felt for a pulse, and found one, rapid and thready.

This didn't look good.

"DANIEL!" he shouted over the noise in the bar.

Daniel looked up at the sound of his namw, and saw Jack, with Sam slumped against his chest, standing in the middle of the dance floor

"Jack! What happened? Is she alright?" Danny skidded to a halt, Teal'c along side him, as he saw the terror in Jacks eyes.

"Call an Janet, an ambulance, something! Do something!"

Danny was scared, now. He'd never seen Jack panic. However Teal'c was not so slow. He scooped Sam from O'Neill's arms and carried her to the bechseat, ordering the people around him to call an ambulance as he did so.

'Don't die, Sammie, don't die.' he thought as he sat alongside her in the ambulance on their way to the hospital. The paramedics had said she had a very high fever - a temperature of 103 - and was in danger. That phrase kept going through his head, for some reason in Rya'c's voice. Strange.

"I know you're awake, Sam. Come on, open those eyes and tell me you're OK. Please."

On these last words Jack let go of her hand and plonked down in a chair at the side of her bed. Sam opened her eyes.

"Sam!"

"Hi. What happened?"

"You collapsed in the bar. You were running a temperature of 103!"

"Were are we?"

"Hospital. Teal'c called an ambulance. They're just outside, if you want to see them."

He moved towards the door, but Sam impulsively grabbed his hand. "Jack.," he turned his head towards her, subconsciously tightening his grip on her fingers, "Thankyou."

"What for?"

"Dancing with me. I always wanted to dance with you to that song. Any song, in fact."

He re-took his position on the chair beside her, one fingergently tracing the line of her jaw. "You really mean that?" She nodded, shyly, and cast her eyes down. "Sam. Look at me."

She did as she was told, and looked straight into his beautiful dark eyes. "Sam. You know I love you, right?"

She nodded slowly, and licked her lips before sitting up and pressing them to his, just in time for Danny to burst into the room, Teal'c, Janet and General Hammond on his heels.




End



End Notes: Hey, you got to the end! Nice one. Now write and TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! jenny.corrin@freeuk.com