samandjack.net

Story Notes: This is dedicated to all my list buds who have been so wonderful over the past couple of days. You've all certainly helped make me look past the bad. =)


There are times when I've been up all night working on something when I get the sudden urge to go top-side. On some level I suppose it's a way for me to escape my duties for a while, but also it allows me to be alone. Not that the SGC is packed at times like 4 am, but I have far too many distractions within the base. I don't really get the chance to think when I'm down here.

So I go up in the elevator, making my way past the guards, who I nod at in acknowledgement, and find my place. My place being a big flat rock sitting out in the middle of nowhere, the trees sheltering it from a comfortable distance. No one else has ever been here, with or without me. It's the perfect spot to sit and mull over all that has gone on in my life. The places I've been. The people who have come and gone. Most especially those that have gone.

Whenever I think of them I look up to the sky and wonder if all that I have done is worth it. If I had never worked on this project, never affected the lives the way I have, would those that are gone have been any better off?

Just as those depressing thoughts invade my mind, I feel tendrils of heated light reach my face, caressing it warmly. It's as if the sun knows the exact moment I need it to be there, to remind me that after the darkness there is light. That although there are bad things that have happened, so many good ones have too, and my thoughts then turn to the good of my life. The smiles of joy on children's faces. The shared laughter amongst friends. The love of another.

And I feel ready to face the day again.



The End