samandjack.net

Story Notes: EMAIL: mawsel@yahoo.com

SEASON/SEQUEL: (Working titles)Kareoke Bar /SGIC

CONTENTS WARNINGS: m/f

ARCHIVE: Heliopolis .....YES!!!!! Any other tell me first

AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is my first attempt at fanfic, please be gentle with your comments

I have just visited from another AU to tell my story, if jack seems a little out of character to what you are used to, well, to bad. That's the way he is where I come from...... The character 'Dr. Kayla Porter' is inspired from the writings of Trish Williams (bartricia_w@yahoo.com) found in Heliopolis2 and is used with her kind permission "Thanks again Trish". Also many thanks to my two talented 'beta readers', if you could see my final scores in English in High school you'd know why I NEED bets readers.

There are another two stories in the pipeline to be set straight after the finish of this one....as you will no doubt deduce once you wade thru all my dribble


Chapter 1



The sound of the klaxon blaring always made General George Hammond jump. It didn't matter if he was waiting for the gate to activate or was occupied in one meeting or the other; the sound always got to him. And this time was no exception.

"Off World Activation, Sir" the on duty tec called over his shoulder

//Of course it is stupid. I'm standing right here and I never gave a go order so it must be coming from off world.// Thought the General. "Yes, Thank you I can see that, son" he replied.

"SG-1's ID code received and verified. Sir"

Knowing that the only team still off world was his 'special team' - SG1, made him hope that everything was ok with them. No team he knew could attract unexpected attention as well as these four. Between them they had amassed more hours in the medical suites than any 'two' teams combined!!!!

Not that they didn't know how to achieve the impossible as well. He had sent them into more impossible missions ( or should that read missions impossible) than any team had a right to expect to be able to walk away from intact. Mind you there have been a number of times he had felt that the team was about to collapse or implode, but they always banded together and pulled themselves through.

//Finally// he thought, as the first person came through the event horizon, mentally doing a roll call.

//Jackson//

//Teal'c'//

//Carter//

And last through as always...... //O'Neill//

As they lifted their eyes to the control room window he could see the tiredness in their eyes, hidden, but there.

"Welcome home SG-1. Always good to have you back. Report to medical, and we will debrief in 90 mins. Colonel O'Neill a moment before you go please."

His team members paused to watch as O'Neill shrugged his shoulders at them indicating he had no idea what the General wanted.

"Carter? Have you been playing up again? Am I going to get in trouble for some thing you did before we left and you forgot to tell me? ........mmmmmmmmm?"

Trying to look a picture of innocence she replied " Who me? Sir? You know I would never do that to you. I don't forget to drop off mission reports do I ?"

With that the 3 members chuckled and left the room . It was common knowledge that O'Neill always forgot to deliver mission reports and other 'non essential' paperwork

Walking up to the general's office he was trying to figure out what he had done wrong. Then it dawned on him. The General didn't look angry, more ....more? More what? More like the bearer of bad news maybe?

"Yessir general sir, you wanted to see me, Sir?" O'Neill rattled off

" Have a seat, Jack"

//Uh oh// thinks O'Neill //it's a "Jack" type of discussion. Do ya' think I could call him George, maybe?//

"Umm thank you General. What can I do for you, sir?

"Jack?, this parcel arrived for you 'special delivery' just after you left."

"I checked the return address against your file, Jack in case it may have been a problem. I wasn't trying to pry, son. Just looking out for you is all."

O'Neill sat looking at the return address already 'knowing' what it contained. Or at least having a very good idea. Dreading to even open the envelope on the front, as if doing so would change the contents.

Completely oblivious to where he was O'Neill took a deep breath and slowly opened the letter. Looking at the folded pages, he still couldn't open them. Wanting nothing better then to howl out that this was a bad dream and he would be waking any moment. But it wasn't and he was already wide-awake.

The General sat and watched as his second in command, a man who could face down 'wannabe' gods, make friends with little grey men, who knew more ways to kill and injure a body than any one else he knew, struggle to open a letter.

"Dear Jack," it read,

" I know you have realised that getting this letter means that Tony has finally found peace. He passed away in his sleep a week ago. We tried to contact you, but were told you were away on assignment and couldn't be contacted. How many times have I heard that response.

I'm sorry that you couldn't have been there, but I don't think Tony would mind. He told me a couple of days before he went, that if I could not contact you that it wasn't your fault. He knew you were back in some kind of 'Special Ops' unit and would say your goodbyes in your own time and way.

Tony made the enclosed video tape about six months ago and made me promise to give it to you or to send it after the funeral.

Jack, in his will, he leaves the cabin to you, we both wanted you to have it. You gave Tony and I ten more wonderful years together that we shouldn't have had and we want you to use this place as a refuge as Tony did. The Title papers should be arriving soon.

When your ready come and see us. The twins miss their Godfather and would love to see you when you're ready.

Love, Janice

PS Tony said not to play the tape till you went to the cabin. Everything you would need would be there

Janice"

Looking at the man sitting on the other side of his desk was like looking at a statue. You had to look really close to see even that he was breathing. Nothing alive should be able to sit that still.

"Jack?"

"You OK?"

"Sorry Sir, didn't mean to be rude. An old friend,.... From an old unit passed away from cancer and his wife was letting me know"

"I know, son. He served under my command as well at one time and I always get informed if someone from my old units pass away."

" No kidding? You knew him as well? No way!"

"Go to medical and get cleaned up we can talk more after your de-briefed"



Chapter 2



"So SG-1, Till the sunspot activity drops and it is deemed safe to travel again, you, as well as all SG teams are on 'Stand Down' minimum 2 weeks forecasted."

Glad that was over, General Hammond caught the eye of Major Carter, holding her back as the others filed out.

"Sir? Is everything OK? I know the Colonel doesn't enjoy de-briefs, especially after 'scientific' missions as this one was. But he seemed as if he wasn't there in the meeting at all with the rest of us."

"Major Carter, I normally wouldn't interfere in personal matters but I have also never seen him lost in his own world as he was just then. I can however excuse it. I had to deliver some bad news whist you others were in medical. One of his best friends, from his 'Black op" days, passed away from cancer. Jack is also Godfather to his friends twins, though I don't think he has seen them since joining SGC."

"I believe Colonel O'Neill is going to need his friends to help him though this time. If what half I know about his 'Black Op' days is true, he will have a lot of buried memories to sort out. If the rest of SG-1 could help him through this, I would count it as a personal favour as well"

"Consider it our pleasure" responded Samantha. "The Colonel has always been there for us"

Samantha slowly walked back towards her private quarters, her own emotions churning at the thought of 'her' colonel in pain, at the loss of a friend.

//"My" Colonel? Is that how you really think of him?// asked that annoying inner voice.

//You know you think of him as more than 'your Colonel'// persisted that voice. //How many hours of the night have you lain awake wondering what it would be like to be lying in his arms? Didn't you spend a couple of hours in your office, day dreaming, signing your name "Mrs Samantha Carter-O'Neill" and "Samantha O'Neill" only to wake that night afraid you'd left some of those sheets lying on your desk for any and all to see?//

"Sam?"

"Major Carter?"

"Ground Control to Major Sam. Time to take your protein pill and put your helmet on"

"Huh? What?" Looking up Sam saw the two people she knew she needed. "Guys, the General just told me why Colonel O'Neill was so lost in the de-brief. He had just been told one of his old Black op team members had died whilst he was off world and he had missed the funeral. Seems they were very close as a team and the General asked us to keep an eye on Jack."

" I'm thinking of inviting everyone over for dinner tonight.... You guys in?" asked Sam

"Daniel, we can ask Janet to come as well and Teal'c you can ask Kayla to join us as well to round it all out. I'll make sure the Colonel is there, even if I have to 'hog tie' him and drag him."

//Now doesn't that make an interesting picture thought all three of them simultaneously//

"Excuse me Colonel, am I disturbing you at all?" Sam asked into a dimly lit doorway. "Are you in there?"

Not getting any reply but sensing his presence anyway, she slowly walks into the room letting her eyes adjust to the shadows. //Ah there he is, lost in his pain and memories// "Sir?"

"What?" a muffled reply is faintly heard.

Grasping at her fleeing courage, Sam extends the dinner invitation to be met by silence.

"I don't think so, thanks, wouldn't be much good as company tonight"

"Colonel. Sir. General Hammond told me about your news, and I don't think you should be alone tonight. You know me, I won't take 'No' as an acceptable answer. Whether you want to or not, you are coming with me. Now get your butt off that bed, get changed into 'civvies'. I will be back in 15 mins to collect you. Not attending is not an option.........Sir!"

Jack slowly rose to his feet as 'his' major gave him his instructions. God she was beautiful when she took control like this. The fire in her eyes made his heart stop beating. He knew she was right but still ................

"Major? Am I correct in understanding that you are giving me, a lowly Colonel, your Commanding Officer, orders?" he softly asked

"No sir, I am not. I am telling a stubborn mule of a friend, that he has friends around him who are here and are going to help him regardless of how deep a hole of despair he may think he is in." she responded.

" Fine 'Major' just so I understood who was speaking to me then" he quipped back. To be rewarding by that special smile she had. She always had so many to give him and they never ran out. Sometimes when he really stuffed up it seemed that her supply was running low. Whenever she didn't smile at him he knew deep down he had hurt her badly and he wanted to beat himself up for doing that to her.

"15 mins right, and I don't mean 16, soldier!" she laughed at him



Chapter 3



By the time Daniel and Janet arrived, closely followed by Teal'c with Kayla by his side, the Pizza's and Chinese delivery guys were just leaving.

"Gotta buy shares in those places" muttered Daniel as he saw the mountain of food sitting on the bench as they walked through the door. " Hey Sam, do they give 'favourite customer' discounts to us yet?" Which earned him a soft elbow in the ribs from the doctor beside him.

Just as the rumour mill on base was loaded with Sam/Jack stories and had been for a long time, Janet and Daniel were consistently included in the grapevine. Neither one realised that they too, were fast becoming the most talked about couple on base. It had got to the point that even the most die hard rumour mongers had to admit that Sam and Jack had too much honour to step over the line designated by 'Military Rules and Regulations'. Whilst the possibilities surrounding these two were not restricted by the same 'Rules and Regulations'. Add to that the fact that they did seem to spend almost all their down time together, and if you found one out of their office, the other wouldn't be too far away. It was almost like they had a 'sixth sense' where the other one was.

As far as Teal'c and Kayla were concerned... boy, that was a mystery.

They had first met when Dr Kayla Porter was assigned to the SGC as a research scientist, and they had crossed paths on a number of occasions. After a time, it became apparent to all, that these two had begun an intimate relationship, ( much to the annoyance of a number of single males on base, many who had been overheard to label her as 'The Ice Maiden'. This Very quickly stopped when one unfortunate soul, coming back from leave made that comment in the hearing range of one unnamed Jaffa. Said 'unfortunate soul', was quickly put on the 'straight and narrow' by said Jaffa, as to the correct modes of referring to said Doctor. This 'unfortunate soul' was seen to quickly leave the room whenever said Doctor and/or Jaffa was seen to enter.) The thing was, all agreed that together they made a wonderfully handsome, even striking couple. She had fitted into the extended family of SG1 as if she had always been there.

That just left Colonel Jonathan (Jack) Charles O'Neill USAF and Major Doctor Samantha Elizabeth Carter USAF. What can be said about these two that hasn't already been said. Probably the greatest love tragedy since 'Romeo and Juliet' flowed from the pen of the Bard.

" Beers here guys. Not forgetting the wine for you Kayla and Teal'c" Since meeting Kayla, Teal'c had been introduced to a number of other Earth experiences, Wines, Opera, Sailing, Bungy Jumping, Art Galleries. Some had gone well, some had not (Hint- Don't count down '3,2,1 - Bungy' round Teal'c you wouldn't like the result. Let's just say junior got really upset and let him know)

They had agreed before hand that nothing would be said about the letter unless the Colonel brought it up. So although he was sitting a little quietly at first, the group acted as if it was one of their usual Friday night get togethers which soon bought him out of his shell.

After a couple o f hours of the usual Friday activities Sam noticed Jack had stepped out onto the balcony and was gazing out into the star lit sky.

"Penny for your thoughts, Jack or is that to much to spend?" Sam bantered coming out onto the decking.

"Sorry, didn't mean to drag you away. Just wanted to think about a couple of things alone. I guess"

"Sorry, I will leave you alone if you like." She replied.

"No, it's Ok actually. Sam, I need to say 'Thank you' for making this old fool come tonight. I would have sat there brooding and doing no good if you hadn't forced me."

"Do you feel like talking about what you're thinking, or is that too personal?"

"No....I mean it's not too personal, I guess. After all you guys here are more like family to me in many ways, and if the roles were reversed I guess I would want you to feel you could talk to me about your thoughts and feelings." Jack confessed.

"Want us all to be here or would you just like it one on one?" Samantha asked softly.

"I don't know Sam..... No let's do it all together, if you think they are interested?"

"Jack, we wouldn't all be here if we didn't 'care' for you." As soon as the words were out Sam realised the double meaning as well as how close to the truth that statement came.

Jack stood there looking at her without saying a word, wondering himself about the different meanings to what she had just said. Deciding to accept it at face value he went on.

" I will come inside in a minute, Sam. Just let me collect my thoughts. Ok? "

As Sam slipped back in the room all eyes fixed on her, I mean you would have had to be blind not to have noticed them leaving. She quietly explained that he would be inside and explain what had happened.

Janet turned off the music as Sam went for a fresh beer for Jack, they all knew he liked to hold something when explaining his actions, kind of a safety blanket. Teal'c settled cross-legged on the floor (how does that man do it), with Kayla leaning against him and her legs tucked under. Daniel sat forward on the lounge chair and Janet curled up against his legs. Sam sat on the edge of the couch waiting for Jack to return, picking at the label of the beer in her hand.

As Jack re entered the room, he looked around at these people that as little as 4 years ago he would have thought would never in his widest nightmares qualified as friends. Yet now he couldn't imagine life with out their friendship.

"Alright then Campers..... I guess you want Uncle Jack to tell you all a bed time story, is that why you're all sitting on the edge of your chairs?" Jack joked as he stepped in.

All that got him was a room full of stares, though it looked for a minute like Teal'c was going to ask about the 'bed time story' remark, but Kayla gave his thigh a squeeze and he settled back.

"If I am going to tell this story, let me tell it my way, and save any questions till the end . Ok?"

In response he got a room full of nods.

" Ok then, I guess it all started about 14 years ago........"

"I was a member of a Special Forces Black Ops team. There were 4 of us, Tony known as Turk, Peter known as Topper ( always wearing a different hat -Top Hat), Kevin known as Tank ( as in built as big as a...) and myself."

"We had served in a number of countries and had always managed to keep each other alive. On this one mission, it turned out the main source of Int'l' had been turned, and we walked into a trap. None of us should have got out alive. It was the hottest firefight I had ever encountered until I joined SGC."

"Turk was hit and it looked like it was an instant fatal........."

"I don't remember how but somehow the fighting lulled, and we saw an opening to escape. I ordered Tank and Topper to go but was not going to leave Turk behind. Over the years I had attended too many funerals where the coffin was empty and the family didn't have any idea where the body was.... And never would. I wasn't going to let it happen to a member of my team. Tank yelled at me to leave the body, he was already dead and to save myself, but I refused to even consider that option."

"It took a while, but we managed to escape, picking up a number of additional injuries each. Once we evac'd by chopper a medic discovered that Turk was in fact alive, just. After a long recovery he retired and returned to his family.....alive. Three years latter his wife gave birth to twins and I was asked to be godfather to them both."

"Two years after that they discovered inoperable cancer, and from then it has been only a matter of time. I always knew I would be notified of his passing and was expected to deliver his eulogy, even have it already written."

"Believe it, a report written before the deadline!!!"

His attempt at humour bought smiles all round.

"Apparently he died just after we gated out on the second last mission and the notice caught up with me when we gated home today."

" Not only had I put off seeing him before he went but I have missed the funeral....."

At this point the tension building in his voice threatens to wash over him and he falls silent. Sam's hand had been resting on his shoulder as he spoke silently offering support, and when he stopped speaking, went over his shoulder and gave him a hug.

He looked and silently thanked her with his eyes and continued.

"When we gated back today, Hammond gave me a parcel with a video and a letter. The video is one Turk made about six months ago and the letter is from his wife written after the funeral."

Jack fishes out the letter and slowly reads it to them. By the end, there are tears in the eyes of all in the room. Even Teal'c.

"Tomorrow I am planning to head upstate to where the cabin is, so I guess I won't see you guys till I get back but let me just say that I really appreciate your support tonight helping me get through the shock of hearing the news. You guys know how much you all mean to me, you're more that just my team, you qualify as my immediate family, one I don't deserve but am damn lucky to have."

The room stays silent for a few moments as the story slowly sinks in, until Daniel looked up and said.

"Jack I don't know about any one else but you aren't going to make that trip alone, buddy, we have been to hell and back, literally, and I am not letting you go there again alone."

A chorus of agreement comes from all the others.

Jack tries to tell them not to waste their free time, but they won't be put off.

"Jack, as your Doctor and your friend, I am telling you that you are in no condition for an extended drive alone, nor is it in your best interest mentally to try and suffer alone, therefore, you are over ruled, like it or not!"

Slowly Jack allows himself to be convinced

"Well guys, I was planning to make an early start tomorrow if your going to come with me we need to be on the road by 0800. So lets call it a night and meet at my house at say 0745, last one there buys the Coffee's at the first rest stop."

Realising the time everyone grabs their junk and heads for their homes, leaving Sam and Jack to clean to the last of the mess.

"Um Sam? One small problem. My vehicle is back at base! Remember you forced me to come with you?" Jack pointed out.

"No problem. You sleep on the couch and we leave at 0600, get your Jeep, check in with the office and be back at your house by 0715" Sam planned "Is that OK?"

"Fine , Whatever" Jack replied

He realised the stress of the past 12 hours added to the past few weeks had drained him of all energy, and that if he had had his car, he probably was still in no condition to drive.

Sam came back in the room to discover Jack asleep on the end of the couch looking as if the world had been lifted off his shoulders. She couldn't resist the opportunity presented. Tucking the blanket around his sleeping body and leaving the pillow beside him she gently leaned over, and gave him a soft kiss goodnight on his lips... mmmm that felt good.

Jack woke during the night confused at his location , then remembered where he had fallen asleep. He got up and checked that Sam was asleep. He stood there watching as she slumbered in the moonlight. Wondering if things had been different would the two of them been like their AU others and found happiness with each other. Guess he would never know..... oh what an idea. He softly moved into the room , lent over and brushed his lips over hers and whispered

"Thank you for just being you, Samantha, and Good Night Sweet Princess."



Chapter 4



//Dammit// thought Jack, //looks like I am the last one at my own house after all. Never thought Sam's couch would have been such a comfortable place to sleep.//

" Hey Colonel, looks like your buying the coffee's" quipped Sam, grinning from ear to ear.

" Ya think so do you?" grinned Jack in reply. "Seeing how we are off base and off duty, how about we drop the titles ? mmmm Major?"

Sam dropped her eyes and smiled shyly, //Damn it is hard enough when I call him Colonel, calling him Jack is going to drive me crazy.// Raising her head and looking straight in his eyes she shot back

"Sure thing "Jackie-boy" if you think you can stand the strain."

"Pardon me?"

"Well, you call Daniel 'Space Monkey' so why can't we play with your name, fairs fair."

The others just looked at each other smirking. If something or someone didn't give, this was going to an interesting trip. They would be able to light fires off the 'sexual tension' already.

"Umm Jack?" interrupted Daniel. "We wont all fit into the one car so how will we do this?"

"Easy, Oh Danny-boy, Sam rides Shotgun with me and navigates. So when we get lost it will be her fault, not mine." Which comment earned him a slap on the shoulder, and one of Sam's famous smiles.

" On second thoughts if she's going to keep doing that, I can either stuff her in the trunk or she can ride with you guys."

"JackO'Nell, we would be happy just to travel in our own cars. It would give me the chance to practise my driving skills, something I don't get a chance to do very often." Teal'c chipped in, mostly to stop the play fighting. Sometimes these two acted more like his children than his teammates, but he knew it also made this group function with a skill and cohesion he had never seen before.

"Fine by me, just fine by me" Jack muttered. "So Sam, is it the shotgun seat or the trunk you're going to travel in?"

Looking at her eyes he decided that maybe 'Shotgun' was a bad choice of words. From the change in her expression he realised she had the same thought. Which of course made them both chuckle

"Oh No! Sam you are not going to sit there giggling all the way are you?"

"Why? Jack does it bother you if I laugh?"

"No Sam, laugh your head off, go ahead."

Before they left, they arranged a meeting place in case they got separated on the road for their first rest stop, and with that they were away.



Chapter 4



As the day slowly progressed, Jack realised that he would have found this trip almost impossible had he made it solo as he had planned. He would have done nothing but brood all the way. Having Sam in the car, joking with each other and enjoying the passing scenery together made him realise that the guys had been right last night and he had been wrong (not that he was going to openly admit THAT !!). Friends help friends, it was as simple as that. If you saw a friend in need you helped.

As he had been lead car all the way, he pulled over to the roadside as he approached the turn off waiting for the others to catch up. For all his lack of practise, Teal'c had been able to keep up most of the way, only getting separated three times. Maybe Kayla's teaching was what he needed to learn the skills he missed not growing up on Earth.

Glancing in his mirror, he noted that the other cars would catch up in a few minutes.

"Sam, before we get there and the others catch up, I just want to say thank you to you for insisting on coming with me. This would have been ..... painful if I had come up by myself."

"Jack" Sam hesitated." You know that all you have to do is ask and we will be there for you. You've always been here for us, and now it's our turn to repay your support."

"No, Sam. I mean 'Thank YOU' for coming. It means a lot to me."

At the implied admission of feelings, things suddenly became very quiet in the car.

Both jumped as Daniel's horn blasted behind them, shaking them from their thoughts. Guiltily looking in the mirror, Jack wondered how long they had been waiting. With no more words spoken, they turned onto the side road and made the trip in silence. Not a strained silence, but more one where both were deep in their own thoughts.

Pulling up at the gate that Jack remembered helping build, he looked at the cabin partly visible through the trees.

//Hang on, this can't be right. The last time I was here this was just a small 2-bedroom cabin, that barely made the habitable list.//

"Jack? Are you alright?" Sam asked

"This can't be the right place. I mean, this is nothing like I remember. Only the gate is, I remember helping Turk build it. The first two attempts fell over. Neither of us knew what we were doing. A neighbour came and helped us correct all of our mistakes"

"Why don't we go in and see if someone is home and ask for directions? I think I see a car behind those bushes."

Realising that the suggestion made sense, Jack moved the car up the driveway, stopping at the bottom of the steps,

"Hello? Anyone here?" Jack called

"Jack? JACK!!!!!" came this voice from inside as it became obvious the speaker recognised him

"Janice?" Jack was not quite ready to face his friends widow, but, there was no avoiding the meeting, so best get it over with.

"Janice, I am so sorry that I wasn't there when you needed me. I know I should have been there. I know I should be seeing more of the kids. Janice, do you need anything?" The words came tumbling out as Jack began to allow the feelings bottled up finally surfaced.

"Hush Jack" said the woman as she came out of the door, raising her hand to still Jack's voice. "I know you couldn't help not being there. Tony wouldn't be upset. He told me an old friend had told him you were often unavailable for days and weeks at a time. The thing is you were there when Tony needed you the most, and were able to bring him home to me. I know we have told you over, and over, and over, that was a debt we owed you, that could never be repaid."

Jack took the woman in is arms hugging her as he replied. "I know you keep saying that, but I still feel like I let you guys down when you needed me to be there"

The rest of the group stood back as these obviously old friends met and spoke in private. Only Sam felt a little twinge of jealousy as she watched this woman on the receiving end of an embrace from 'her' Jack. If only she could be on the receiving end of embraces like that. //Oh well, we've made our choices. At least we have survived some really rocky ground and come out still as friends.// Sam told herself.

"Hello, These must be your friends that we are so rudely ignoring. Jack you never were good at introducing people." The woman quipped.

"Hi and be welcomed. I am Janice, an old friend of Jack's."

"Sorry, Jan. These are some of my good friends from where I am stationed and part of my team. This is Samantha Carter, Daniel Jackson, Dr Janet Frasier, Dr Kayla Porter and Teal'c .. umm 'Aswan' ." Thinking quickly. "Guys, this is Janice Wilson, an old friend from way back.

"Pleased to meet you Janice." Sam replied answering for the others. "Jack told us about your loss, and please, accept our condolences. We have an idea of what you must be going through."

"Thank you, but it didn't come unexpected and we were prepared for Tony to go. Besides it would have been worse if 'Tug' here hadn't bought him home years ago. I wouldn't have the twins.

//Tug?????// all of them thought

"Speaking of the twins, where are those little terror's hiding?" asked Jack

"I didn't know you would be here whilst I stopped by to collect a few personal things. I left them at home with my parents, sorry Jack. They will be upset to know they missed you. They are always asking when are you going to visit. You know you are always more than welcome in our home anytime."

"Yeah, Jan I know, and believe me, I will come for a visit as soon as possible. I promise!"

"Don't worry Janice, we all heard him promise and will make sure he lives up to it. Or we will make sure he doesn't live." quipped Sam. Earning a chuckle from all present.

"I was just about to leave Jack, so here are the keys, and all the papers to transfer this property to your name. And remember, Don't be a stranger'."

"Janice, are you sure you want me to have this place? I mean it's worth a lot of money. and I don't want to take this away from you and the kids."

"Jack, don't be concerned. Tony has made sure we are well taken care of There is not going to be any problem if you have this place. In fact Tony told me you would baulk at the idea, especially once you saw the place."

"So stop arguing. The deeds done. It belongs to you now."

Jack slowly walked Janice to her car and stood mute as she drove away, lost in his thoughts. The group understood and gave him room as they unpacked the cars and settled in.



Chapter 5



Jack had no idea how long he had been standing there after Janice drove off. He was simply lost in the memories being here and seeing her had bought to the surface. For some reason having seen how well she had taken Turk's death allowed him to forgive himself for not being there and move on with grieving for his friend, in a healthy manner. The good memories were to be cherished, the bad ones forgotten.

"Jack? Are you ok? Sir?" Sam hated to intrude but he had been standing still for over an hour. Lost in his own world. She couldn't help herself. Having glimpsed the pain he was in and on the whole been able to hide, she was concerned for him.

With a start, Jack realised that Sam was standing right in front of him with a worried frown on her face. He couldn't let that frown stay. With a lopsided grin he looked into her deep blue eyes and said.

"What's the matter Carter? Can't an old man immerse himself in his memories with out you playing nursemaid and waking him up? After all, all us old soldiers have is our memories." //And boy, don't I have some memories to recall. I still haven't found where that little black mole of hers is.//

Sam rewarded his attempt at humour by giving one of her smiles. The ones the rest of the SGC called the ones 'reserved for only Jack smiles'. The ones that many a male personal had lain awake at night wishing they were reserved for them. (Perhaps I won't go any further down THAT track).

With his arm draped over her shoulder, the two slowly walked up the stairs and into what could best be described as a very comfortable mountain retreat.

"Jack, do all ex Black ops people retire to this sort of luxury?" asked Daniel innocently. He had been exploring the house, amazed at the luxuries built in. "I mean this house has everything. Satellite TV, Wide band Internet connections, Satellite phones, several top of the line PC's." Daniel rambled on, almost as if he was on a 'dig' cataloguing the finds.

"Danny-boy, settle down. I am as surprised by all this as you guys are. I didn't know how Turk was making his money, but whatever it was, he must have done real well it seems."

"Jack? There is a bottle of Single Malt Scotch here on the counter and a note saying 'you will know what this is for' waiting here for you." Sam called out softly.

With that, Jack's eyes hardened slightly. He slowly walked into the room saw the bottle and remembered the note with the video that was delivered to him.

"Sam? Do you know where that video is? I need to watch it before I do anything else." Jack said quietly.

As he said that he noticed the others start to drift out of the room to allow him the privacy they felt he would need and deserved.

"Guy's? Where are you going? We don't keep secrets from each other do we? Oops, well, I know we have had to a couple of times in the past but not now, not here. I would appreciate you guys being there whilst I watch this. After your support last night and again today I would consider it a huge favour if you stayed. Besides it will probably answer a lot of your questions that you have if you stayed and watched it."

Looking sheepishly at each other, realising that they had all been curious about what was on that tape, as well as having a lot of other questions they wanted to ask , they didn't want to seem too eager to intrude on Jack's viewing.

"Well, Jack if you really want us to be there. If you think we won't be intruding. I guess we could stay." Said Daniel in his 'Innocent little boy' voice.

"Damn straight, Danny of course I want you there. If I don't you will plague me with questions. Won't you 'Space Monkey? Now just one question, before Sam here pushes the 'Play' button. Who bought the popcorn?"

"Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" chorused five voices edged with laughter.



Chapter 6



The large screen TV lit to show a man sitting in a wheel chair. It was obvious he was very ill, and that fighting the illness had taken a lot out of him. It was also obvious who was going to win that fight. The face on the screen slowly looked into the screen , smiled sadly and spoke.

"Hey Jack. Long time no see buddy.

It's been too long, but an old friend tells me your current assignment doesn't allow much down time, so don't worry, I understand. Knowing you your probably out there somewhere "Saving the World" as per usual. Man you never could walk away from the fight could you, bud.

I guess as you're seeing this you've found out I have died. I find that knowing I am dying, and having been on death's door in the past, makes it easier to actually say it. After all, if it hadn't been for you buddy I would have been feeding the worms many years ago. I tried counting the times you pulled my ass out of the fire and decided it was too many to bother about. Let's just say 'I owe you BIG time.'

Apart from the fact you were the very best CO I ever served under, the truest friend I know, I owe you because having saved me that last time , gave me the opportunity to make it home and Jan and I could have the twins.

For that alone, I owe you everything.

I know you have wanted to see more of the kids, but your assignment, whatever it is, makes that damn hard. With me gone though bud, I only ask that you find some time to spend with them.

Don't worry about how Jan and the kids will be financially, I made some money as a 'ghost writer' and played some on the market. Very well actually. That's why the cabin is a little better than you would remember. I know you, you will try and give that cabin back to Jan. You can't! She doesn't want it. Firstly because it will remind her too much of me, and secondly, we fixed it up knowing we would be giving it to you.

For once in your life Tug, Shut up and do as your told. Honour my dying wish. Use this place to escape the stress your job creates. God knows I know what it is like, or used to know. So take this gift in the spirit it is given, with love and thanks for bringing me back to my family.

I hope you bought some friends with you when you came up to the cabin. I know what a lousy drunk you are, especially if you're feeling sorry for yourself.

Jan is going to leave a bottle of my favourite single malt Scotch whisky, for you to have a toast to our memories, after all Jack that's all an old soldier has isn't it? His memories of departed comrades"

Lifting his hand slowly and looking at it.

"Remember how Topper used to love watching Star trek re-runs. We used to sit out at night and watch the stars and wonder if maybe there was intelligent life out, maybe even watching us watch them? How did that line go? ..........Oh yeah, your hand went like this and it was "Live Long and Prosper"

Goodbye my friend

Oh by the way I hope you don't get hurt by my saying this but if it all works out and I get into the right place I will find Charlie and teach him what a great man his Dad is...OK? Will you do the same for my kids, Jack?

Good bye."

As the TV broke to a snow pattern, Sam could feel the silent tears falling from Jack's face and the pain that was tormenting him at the mention of his son's name.

Slowly Jack's head rose from where it had dropped at the end of the video. As he looked at the screen still seeing the figure sitting there everyone heard him softly whisper. " Live Long and Prosper my friend. If you would also tell Charlie how sorry I am and could he forgive me, I would be grateful. I couldn't think of a better person to tell him about me."

With an effort, Jack slowly forced himself to be aware of those around him, grateful they had forced him to bring them with him. Watching that alone would have devastated him, of that he was certain. Standing he walked over to the bottle sitting there. Opened a cupboard, drew out six glasses and poured six healthy shots. Silently he handed one to each person. As each one took a glass they stood, Teal'c not sure why or what was about to happen, but knowing it was the right thing to do all the same. Jack slowly looked around at these special people and raising his glass said.

"To absent friends."

To which they echoed it back then drank

Before anyone could finish, Jack topped up each glass and toasted again.

"To friends present."

That bought smiles all round to which they all drank. Without saying a word Jack looked at his glass, looked at them all and threw his glass into the open fireplace smashing it. The other followed suit, though Teal'c really began to wonder about these strange Taur'i customs. Just when he thought he was comfortable something would happen to confuse him again.

Seeing the puzzled look on his friend's face, Jack said.

"Teal'c, when you drink a toast, a special one like that, you show how important it was by smashing the glass. That means you don't want the glass to ever be used for any plain reason. It would take away from how you felt about the toast you had made."

As they watched they could see Teal'c understood. To signify the honour he felt at being included in the toast, he drew himself to stand stiffly erect and bowed as only he could to his friend and comrade.

"Jaaaaack?"

'Oh No' thought Jack

"I have just one immediate question that I would like to ask." Said Daniel.

"I suppose if you must then, you will have to ask it, wont you Daniel?"

Grasping Janet's hand for courage, and very grateful she was there. After all she may not be big physically, but she was the only person he knew who could stop Jack dead in his tracks. After all, he hated medical exam's with a passion and all she had to do was threaten to make his next medical extra long and painful.

"Why did Tony and for that matter Janice call you 'Tug'."

At the mention of that name Sam couldn't help herself. A muffled giggle escaped her lips.

"Sam! I have told you no giggling this weekend, if you giggle again you lose the dare don't forget." Jack said, hoping to distract Daniel.

"Dare? What dare?" pipped in both Janet and Kayla.

""Jack" exclaimed Daniel. "Don't avoid the question. WHY DID HE CALL YOU TUG"?

(mmmm doesn't Daniel rile easily)

"Once on a mission in South America (That never really happened if you get my hint) I commandeered a Tug boat to make our escape. Then when ever we got stuck my team would ask me to go find a Tug so we could all go home. See, Simple explanation. No big deal."

As they all looked at him they knew that there was more to that story than he was going to tell, Oh well let him think he won that one. Some day they figured they would get him drunk and than ask the same questions. By now they each had a list of questions they wanted to re-ask this man.

"Ok guy's and girls I suppose we had better sort out who's sleeping where. I get the Master bedroom after all it does seem to be my house. Has anybody else looked around?" Jack asked

" We have already sorted that out, Jack. Janet and Daniel are sharing a room, Teal'c and Kayla are sharing, though Teal'c claims he can perform kal no'reem anywhere. So I get my own room." Answered Sam (who deep down wished she was sharing a room with a certain other person who had a room all to themselves)

Said other person just happened to be thinking almost the exact same thoughts word for word. To the amusement of the other four, who knew these two very well having faced death or worse together, their thoughts may as well have been on a flashing sign above their heads. It was so obvious how they felt but it was also obvious that they respected the work of the other too much to endanger it by flouting the Non-Fraternisation rules.

Chapter 7



With the prospect of two weeks downtime, due to the sunspot activity, life settled into a very comfortable routine. It was almost as if the was no stargate, no system lords trying for galactic domination. Just a group of friends innocently enjoying their vacation together.

They would eat as they felt like, spending half their dinners at restaurants in the town down the mountain. The other times having fun cooking in the kitchen, often all six going at it at the same time. You know the saying 'too many cooks spoil the broth' . Well for some reason it didn't come true here.

After dinner at home they would sit around the lounge and talk. Talk about things they never had time for when they were rushing between missions. Stories from their childhood, old college stories, early military stories from when they first joined, funny stories from early mission. Remembered some old comrades that had passed through their lives, and would never return

After the first night, an unspoken seating pattern formed, Kayla in a single seat with Teal'c sitting cross legged at her feet, always just touching each other, nothing hugely demonstrative but always in contact. Janet and Daniel on the two seater couch, cuddled up in some fashion, it is amazing how many different ways those two could find to be cuddled against each other.

And on the other couch would be, Sam and Jack!

Probably contacting as much as Teal'c and Kayla. Often it would be nothing more that side by side with arms resting against each other. A number of times it had been his arm around her shoulder and her head on his chest, (well it had been a tiring day after all). Once for a very short time it was she on his lap. If there had been two like Janet and Daniel the fire alarms would have gone off. But as they were among friends, each couple showed as much affection as they were comfortable with.

Who said what or did what, no one knows but for some reason, Sam ended up with the worst case of giggles, she just couldn't stop. Every time she caught some ones eyes she would break down again into helpless convulsions. And we all know that laughter is infectious, soon just about every one was laughing, well to be honest Teal'c was more puzzled as to what was happening but he still had a slight grin on his face.

When everybody was finally able to control their laughter and Sam was able to look into any person's face and not break down. Jack leaned across and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Mmmm yes Jack?" Sam asked

"You know what this means don't you? Remember?"

"No, Jack you're not going to hold me to that are you?" Sam paled as she asked.

"What?" "Remember what?" came from the other two women

"Sam was giggling all the way here in my car. For some reason' no matter what I said or did, she giggled! She promised she wouldn't giggle the whole time she was here. I said if she did, then I would find something to make her boot camp drill sergeant seem like the Easter bunny. I said I would be lenient, that she was allowed one slip up. Which she did on the first day. So Carter, What will it be? Any ideas?"

"Jack you can't be serious?" " Jack don't you be cruel"

"Me? Cruel? Never. This is just a chance to get even for all those little snickers behind my back. Don't worry Sam. I won't make it too hard. I don't dare. I can see the threat in Janet's eyes if I do."

Daniel was looking at Jack when all of a sudden it hit him. He knew that Jack already had something in mind. As Jack's eyes slowly moved around the group, Daniel caught a sly wink he gave. //Oh oh,// he thought '//Jack has had this planned from the start. Do I speak up or shut up? I honestly don't think he would hurt her. Play with her a little maybe, and deep down she would enjoy that. But no, he wouldn't hurt her.//

That night as they lay in bed, cuddled against each other, Daniel bought up his thoughts to Janet.

"Honey, do you have any idea what Jack is going to make Sam do?

"No I don't. If he hurts her at all his next medical is going to be full of the most painful procedures I can think of or research up."

"Wait a minute before you start dreaming of tests to run on him. I caught a look in his eye whilst this was happening. I think Jack has simply been waiting for her to giggle. You know she does it all the time. I think he knew that she would eventually, and for that matter, I think she knew as well. Maybe, just maybe. We are watching a very complex game that they are playing, we only think we know the rules, but I think only those two know the rules and even then they are making them up as they go.

I don't think for one minute that Jack will hurt Sam, and I don't think you do either. We are just spectators, Very close to the game but not in it. I think Jack wanted your reaction as part of the game plan he is running on Sam. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack let's Sam stew over night and maybe tomorrow and springs whatever it is tomorrow night."

Janet lay in bed thinking. Here she was safe in the arms of a man she never thought would love her. Someone she had told herself over and over again was never going to get over Shar'e. She had settled for simply being his friend, there whenever needed, medical emergency or whatever. Sam didn't have that luxury. Daniel was probably right about this. The only way they could interact on a personal level had to be a fine dance around the rules that bound them tight. But then Jack had a reputation for finding ways round rules and reg's.

"Ok you are probably right Daniel, But, don't expect me to ease up on Jack, it would ruin his planning if he thought we knew".

And with that they allowed the Sandman to claim them.



finis

If you feel inclined to comment good or bad please do, I would like opinions

This story continues in Kareoke bar, which will be posted as soon as I can write it. ( I have bills to pay first)