samandjack.net

Story Notes: Thanks to the wonderful Bonnie for the great beta, as usual, and the suggestions and inspiration to improve this FanFic. All mistakes are, nevertheless, entirely my own. And thanks to the readers who keep requesting more, for your support and encouragement.

Email: su.freund@blueyonder.co.uk

Website: https://home.comcast.net/~fic_with_fins/

Copyright (c) 2004 Su Freund


Peachy!



Tobias was shocked; the ones called Major Carter and Teal'c were still awake, and they were pointing their weapons at him angrily, demanding to know what he had done with their friends.

"What the hell have you done to them?" Major Carter asked. "And, don't even think about touching that amulet on your arm again." She said, pointing her weapon towards the wrist he was reaching his hand towards.

Despite her caution, however, the building was suddenly filling with people. Teal'c pointed his gun towards them, but there were too many. Sam and Teal'c stood back to back and looked menacing.

"We really do not mean you any harm." Smiled Tobias.

"Then what have you done to our friends?" Sam asked.

"Please. Major Carter, Teal'c. If you put your weapons down I will explain it to you."

"How precisely do we know that you will not do to us what you have already done to them?" Teal'c's turn.

"It would appear that we cannot, otherwise you would already be asleep with them."

Sam and Teal'c saw the logic but were puzzled. Then they both realised that it must be something to do with naquada. It wasn't the first time that had been to their advantage.

"How can we trust you? Apart from what you have done to our friends, you rather outnumber us." Sam said.

"I promise you that we will do you no harm. You have my word. We are a peaceful people. Although we have the power to do much harm, we choose not to. None of these people are hurt; they are merely asleep for as long as we want them to be. I cannot guess why it did not work on you. Although it is written that we had an enemy a long time ago against whom it would not work either. We had to use more drastic measures. Are you our enemy, Major Carter?"

Tobias bowed, and ordered the other people to leave. Then he indicated for them to sit on some cushions on the floor.

"I think we should sit Teal'c. Listen to what the man has to say."

"Indeed."

************

Jack was regaining consciousness and suddenly became alert. He thought his earlier concern about his inability to function quickly, might be unfounded as he felt fully responsive. Of course it might have been something to do with the hangover. Nothing like a mission to bring out the best in a guy. Crouching next to him on the ground was Carter.

"Sir? Are you alright?" He noted her concern and smiled slightly.

"Peachy! Just peachy, Carter. What the hell happened? What's going on?" he moved to get up and Sam touched his arm to stop him.

"It's ok, sir. Everything… everybody is fine. We're safe."

He allowed some of the tension inside of him to dissipate, but Daniel and the rest of the SGC teams were still unconscious on the floor. He nodded towards the men lying there and asked the question with his eyes.

"They really are ok, sir. Just like you are." Jack nodded his acceptance. "Teal'c's talking to Tobias outside. Actually, to be more accurate, Tobias is probably talking to him." This was the most they had spoken to each other all day and, although it warmed Jack's heart, he had to put everything else above that. Concentrate on the mission; on getting his people home safely.

"Ok. You gonna tell me about it then, Major?" He indicated a cushion next to him then realised that there were cushions everywhere. This was a weird place. When Sam didn't move he said, "Carter?"

"Yes sir." So she sat and told him what Tobias had told them.

***********

Tobias' people were an old and very advanced race who had given up most of their technology many years ago to pursue a life of peace and contemplation. Strangers frightened them, but they eschewed the use of physical harm. They compensated for their lack of technology through their mental prowess; had a complexity of higher mental powers that they could use against their enemies. They could reach into their enemy's thoughts; manipulate the mind.

They had feared SG-9; they were soldiers and killers. After observing for a while, Tobias befriended them, welcoming them to the planet just as he had SG-1; lulling them into a false sense of security. Then he had sent them to sleep. He had dealt with SG-6 similarly. SG-1, however, had been different. Two of their number were impervious to the commands that Tobias sent into their minds. This had both perplexed and intrigued him; sufficiently for him to decide to talk instead of using a different tactic.

While Jack was asleep, Sam had negotiated for the release of her friends from that sleep. They could not be awakened normally and she suspected that only one of Tobias' people could do the job. She had persuaded Tobias that they were not his enemies and might even be allies. Tobias was not entirely convinced of that but had decided that both Major Carter and Teal'c were good people; that they could be trusted and spoke the truth.

So Tobias had awoken Jack.

"Good job, Carter." He was proud of her; she probably should be leading her own team by now. "So why are the others still asleep?"

"Tobias thought it better if I spoke to you alone, sir. He has very strong views about how a leader should be treated." Sam smiled and it lifted Jack's heart.

"Cool!" He smiled and started to get up. "Let's find this guy, get him to wake them up and go."

"There's more, sir."

Sighing, and settling back down again, Jack said, "Peachy! Might have guessed. What's the sting in the tail?"


"No sting, sir. Just more. I don't know quite how to put this, sir, but… we're not really here."

"What?"

"Um, this is all an illusion. Tobias' people don't really live here."

"Have you cracked, Carter?" Sam just sighed and spoke into her radio.

"Teal'c, tell Tobias we're ready."

And the world as they knew it disappeared. They were back in the stone circle, where Tobias had touched his amulet.

"Um… Carter. I'm not sure I was ready for that."

Tobias appeared, along with Teal'c, who nodded at O'Neill.

"Carter, I think I have more questions, but they can wait. Do you think I might be able to understand all this if you write it up in a report?" Sam laughed and Jack smiled at her.

"Only if you read it, sir." It was Jack's turn to laugh. Good, this is good, he thought; more like normal. Then he got up to greet Tobias.

"Colonel O'Neill. I think there is more that Major Carter has not told you." Sam thought, got that right, although she didn't mean what she'd left out of her recounting of Tobias' story.

"Neither did I Major Carter." Said Tobias. Oh my god, he read my mind! Sam blushed to the roots of her hair.

"What?" Jack asked, confused.

"I'm sorry Colonel O'Neill. It was what I believe you call a private joke." And Tobias smiled enigmatically at Sam, who looked down at her feet, hoping Jack hadn't noticed her embarrassment.

"Look, Tobias, much as I'd like to hang around and chat, will you please wake the others? By the way, how long were you going to leave us sleeping like that? Actually, how long was I asleep?"

"All in good time, my friend." Jack raised his eyebrows in surprise at the use of the word friend, but Tobias merely continued. "You were asleep for more than 24 of your hours, Colonel O'Neill. I believe our time is measured differently to yours. We would probably have sent you back home with your memories of us erased. And we still could. We have not yet decided, and such a thing requires a great deal of effort. It is tiring. I've been sending too many people to sleep recently. And it can be difficult to maintain the illusion of a whole village of people for any length of time. It takes it's toll, Colonel."

"You did all this on your own?" Jack asked, more confused than ever. "Call me Jack, by the way."

"Oh I could not do that, Colonel O'Neill. I have noticed that your Major Carter calls you colonel or sir. That is surely the correct form of address." He bowed towards Sam.

Jack plunged into thought. His Major Carter. If that were only true.

"You do not think that is true, Colonel O'Neill? I am quite sure you are wrong about that." Now it was Jack's turn to blush. He was shocked that Tobias had read his thoughts. Peachy!

"I thought you folks manipulated minds, not read them?" Jack said. Sam looked puzzled at his words, but kept her own counsel.

"That is correct, but we are empathic… a little more than that. It is very complicated. You would not want me to explain it to you." Jack laughed to himself, empathise was right. "To answer your question as to whether I did this alone. Yes I did. But the amulet and this stone circle are very powerful and help strengthen and focus my thoughts. However, I am not what I appear, my people are far away."

"What do you mean?"

"Would you like to explain it, Major Carter?"

Sam was startled. She had been mulling over Tobias' behaviour and realised that he had deliberately forced her to be alone with Jack; was making her talk to him. He was trying to break the ice between them; make them friends again. She looked at Tobias, who inclined his head. Maybe it would work. Jack was certainly less cold and distant than he had been. On the other hand, this was a mission; they had no choice but to work together right now.

So Sam explained. Tobias and his people lived far underground. That is why the UAV didn't find anything. Tobias looked nothing like he appeared. Apparently he was short and squat with little red eyes, although he had not revealed himself to her.

Tobias was really here. He was The Protector. His job was to protect his people from the enemies that might threaten to invade their land. It was hard to work above the ground, but he endured it. It was a solitary task, although he could call on help from his people if he needed it. He made himself appear like a human because he met other humans. It was another deceit.

They talked some more and, once O'Neill thought he had all the pertinent information, and there was nothing left to say, he asked Tobias about waking his men and going home. The next thing he knew, they were at the gate, all present, correct, and awake. The others looked a little stunned and confused. Sam and Teal'c tried to explain things while Jack and Tobias continued to talk.

"Are we really at the gate, Tobias? I'm getting a little confused about what is and isn't real here."

"Indeed you are at the gate, Colonel."

Jack smiled. "Sweet!" That saved one heck of a walk. "How? Magic?" Tobias returned the smile.

"Technology." Tobias indicated his amulet. "The amulet does act as a transportation device. We do not need to stand within the ring of stones for it to work. However, much of what you have seen is a delusion; deliberately designed to mislead and give false impressions of our nature, technology and location to our enemies. The amulet does much more than what you have seen."

"We'll take a dozen." Quipped O'Neill. Tobias laughed heartily and loudly, startling the rest of the guys.

"Colonel O'Neill, over time perhaps we can become allies, as your Major Carter would like. You are no longer considered our enemies. Major Carter is very persuasive and I feel honoured to count her as a friend. However, you are not ready for this kind of technology yet."

Peachy! Jack thought, muttering, "now where have I heard that before?" He smiled towards Sam, thinking about the good job she'd done.

"Colonel O'Neill. A word of advice." He pulled O'Neill slightly aside, further away from Sam. "Don’t let go of what is already yours."

"What do you mean?"

"I think you know what I mean." And he looked towards Sam.

"But she's not…" Just then she moved over towards them so he stopped speaking.

"Are we ready to go, sir?"

"Sure Carter. So Tobias, are we welcome to come back?"

"Call again in a few years, O'Neill. And bring your pretty major with you."

Sam smiled at Tobias. Peachy! Jack thought, another alien guy has fallen for the Carter charm. He said goodbye to Tobias and walked over to talk to the men while Teal'c dialled the gate.

"Samantha." Sam was surprised as Tobias had never called her that before. "Before I say goodbye, I want to reveal myself to you. No one else will see this."

He turned from a stately, grey haired old man into a troll. He looked a bit like one of those troll toys that kids used to love so much. She smiled.

"You do not appear to find me repugnant." Tobias seemed pleased.

"No Tobias. You're cute. And thank you." She kissed his cheek then said goodbye and, turning towards the now open gate, went home.

***********

Later, The SGC:



A few hours later, Jack was tired and wanted to go home. Since they'd got back he'd been tied up with debriefings and medical evaluations. Then he realised that he still hadn't spoken to Sam. He couldn't just leave it like that; he needed to know where they stood. It was one thing to be OK on the mission, even if the thaw had taken a while, but quite another now they were back. He went to search out Sam and, unsurprisingly found her in her lab. Nervously he stood at her doorway watching for a short while. Christ, O'Neill face this, goddammit!

"Knock, knock?" He said.

Sam smiled to herself and played along with him. He did this frequently, always coming up with yet another dumb knock, knock joke. It had become a little game they played sometimes.

"Who’s there?"

"ID man."

"ID man who?"

"I demand you let me in!" Jack smiled crookedly at her.

Sam groaned, than laughed and grinned back at him. Jack thought that only Sam would appreciate such a pathetic joke coming from him. Then Sam’s nerves got the better of her and she got slightly flustered and tongue tied, remembering the barbecue and her brother. She thought, oh god, here it comes. What now?

"Um…come in, sir." The smile disappeared from her face and Jack felt his heart sink.

"Sam, I…" Jack faltered. "Sam I need to say I'm sorry, for Saturday, with your brother." He was uneasy about how she'd react.

"You're sorry? Sir… It's me that should apologise. You have nothing to be sorry for. My brother was… He was rude and insulting. And you didn't deserve it. You were the perfect host, the perfect gentleman. He should never have…"

"God, Sam. That's not your fault. I don’t blame you. It's me. I was the rude and insulting one. He was a guest in my home. He's your brother, for crying out loud."

"He provoked you; he deserved it."

Then there was silence and they looked at each other for a while. They were both so hopeless at expressing their feelings. Jack was relieved that Sam didn't seem to hole him responsible, but to blame her brother. Then he was concerned that the Carters might have fallen out with each other again over it. Maybe he and Sam needed to talk further after all. He couldn't just get away with those few words, could he?

"OK sure. Peachy! I won't argue. Fancy a quick beer on the way home, Carter?" Jack asked, suddenly wanting very much to have this conversation with her.

"Um, I'm sorry, sir, I need to stay and finish this. Thanks." She saw a look of disappointment on Jack's face. Although it disappeared as quickly as it came, it was there, and she regretted her refusal. She could have bitten her tongue off. After all that, she was refusing to go for a drink with him? It might have been an opportunity to talk. She was so relieved that he seemed to have forgiven her, didn't really blame her, that she was caught flat-footed by the invitation.

"Cool. See ya tomorrow." He disappeared out of her door so quickly she could have missed him if she'd blinked. Seriously regretting it now, she thought about running after him, then considered that it would seem stupid. So she bent her head back to her work.

As Jack left the mountain he wondered whether things were alright with him and Sam. Were they friends again now? He guessed she had accepted his apology. She didn't seem to want one and had been apologising herself.

Had they been at cross purposes this whole time? Maybe they had. Maybe he would never know for sure. Maybe he should have insisted that they talk more about it. He wished she'd said yes to the drink. He was fiercely disappointed, much more than he could admit, even to himself. He remembered Tobias' words about not letting go of what was already his and nearly went back inside. Resisting the temptation to make a total fool of himself, he started the truck and drove home.

************

Later, Jack's Place



It was a beautiful clear night and Jack was on his roof gazing at the stars. This and a shower; his two best places to think. He'd settled his mind that he would leave well alone with Sam; not push it. He didn't want to screw it all up and cause more trouble. If they were friends now, that was good enough for him; they didn't need to have that conversation. He was terrible at all that anyway.

"Sir? Are you up there? "

Sam? Jack's heart raced. What was she doing here? He hoped it was a good thing.

"Sure, up here Carter." He called back, trying to contain his excitement.

"Knock, knock!" Sam called up the ladder. Jack smiled.

"Who’s there?"

"Aardvark."

"Aardvark who?"

"Aardvark a hundred miles for one of your smiles!"

With that she reached the top of the ladder and her broad smile lit his heart.

"Sweet, Carter!"

He went to give her a hand. As he took it, he felt the trembling run through his whole body as it had on Saturday. He wondered whether she felt it.

"You spend a lot of time up here, sir?" She asked.

"Well it beats TV most of the time. A good thinking place." He smiled and Sam wondered what he might have been thinking about. "So, to what do I owe the honour of this visit, Major?" His eyes twinkled mischievously.

"I never really got that chance to look at the stars on Saturday, sir." She returned his smile with one of her own. Jack's heart lurched; that smile could do something to his insides that nothing else could.

"Then come into my parlour, ma'am." Realising that he still held her hand, he let it go, missing the warmth and feel of her skin. He wondered what she'd do if he kissed her right now. He wanted that. He wanted that a lot. However, he couldn't have it.

Sam's heart was pounding in her chest. She began to question why she had come here at all, but knew the answer. Above everything else, she had to be sure that she and Jack were alright; that they really were still friends. There was more than that she wanted, much more, but that would do just fine for now.

"So, you want to take a look at the stars, huh?" He indicated the telescope. "You remember how to use it, Carter?"

"Well, actually, sir, if you could just show me again…" It was an outrageous lie, and Jack knew it. She was perfectly capable of using this stuff. He remembered how she had rebuffed him that night and shuddered. Was she deliberately trying to drive him nuts?

"I'm sure you can work it out for yourself, Carter." Sam sighed sadly at this remark. She too recalled what had happened that night. If only her brother hadn't been there. If only she'd had a chance to say something then. She started to fiddle around with the telescope.

"Sir… Jack..." He looked up at her calling him that and they had a conversation with their eyes, both glad that the silent communication seemed to be working again. "If you could just…" She indicated the telescope.

Jack moved closer to her, as he had on Saturday, and went through the whole thing again. They laughed softly and whispered together as he showed her, both intoxicated with the feel of breath on their faces, the scent of each other.

"I just needed you to know how sorry I am, Jack. About Mark, his stupidity and prejudice."

"Sam, you have nothing to be sorry for, I told you that. He's your brother, not you." As he said it, he reached to take the hand that was holding the telescope, alongside his, then gasped at the feelings it gave him.

"I should have guessed that something would happen. I did guess and dreaded the moment. Mark can be wearisome on that subject."

"Then why the hell did you accept my invitation?"

"I… you… caught me off guard." She laughed in remembrance of that day she had seen him jogging in the park. How sexy he had looked, how much she had wanted him, how much she still did. He was out of reach.

"It’s funny?"

"I'm sorry, I just thought…" She bent her head to hide her blush.

"Yes Major...? So, do I have to issue an order here?" He was joking, but she answered, nonetheless.

"Actually, I thought you looked… um… pretty good that day." Jack broke into a huge grin.

"Really?" he blushed. Jack blushing? Sam thought it incongruous. "You have poor taste, Carter."

"Yes sir." Looking at her cheeky expression, he chuckled.

"Can't have you disagreeing with your CO now, can we?" Then he took the hand he held and kissed it gently, looking into her eyes, trying to read her thoughts. For a moment, he wished he had Tobias' mental powers; he would know her feelings; and he could take her anywhere. He imagined a moonlit beach with just the two of them, waves lapping. He was almost there, holding her close in the sandy shoreline, turned silver in the light of the night.

Sam grasped the hand, taking his fingertips to her lips, kissing gently, then taking the very ends into her mouth. Jack groaned. He didn't want this to stop but he couldn't really let it go further either. He might so easily loose control. Right now, he could reign himself in. So he tried to deflect from the moment a little, without spoiling it.

"He came to apologise to me… Mark. Betchya didn't know that." As he suspected, Sam looked surprised. She stopped sucking his fingers, much to his relief, but didn't drop the hand. "On his way to the airport. He popped in."

"No. I didn't know that."

"I don't like that I've caused more trouble between you. I thought you ought to know. Although he made me swear never to tell." She laughed thinking how typical of Mark that he should not want her to know.

"I'm glad you told me." She whispered it right in his ear and her breath tingled. He groaned again and caught his own breath. Jesus, Sam. Don’t you know that's an erogenous zone?

"God, Sam. Don't do that." His voice was low, almost non-existent, but he didn't move away.

Sam drew her head back slightly looking into his eyes. She thought them so beautiful, so expressive; and she imagined she could see everything he was feeling. She felt it too. They stood like that for a while, unmoving, then Sam reached up her hand to touch his face. Jack leaned into the touch, closing his eyes, sighing. A noise came from his throat that spoke of his desire. So she lifted her lips to his, brushing them gently and stealing a light kiss.

"Don't stop Jack." She moved her hand to the back of his head, stroking the short grey hair.

"Sam, I…"

"Please Jack." He was never one to refuse a damsel in distress, so his lips touched hers again. Then they pressed harder and he opened his mouth, experimentally, to see whether she would let him probe her with his tongue. She opened hers to allow him entrance, then returned the favour with enthusiasm. As their tongues clashed inside their mouths, Jack pulled her tighter and caressed her hair. When they stopped the kiss, they just clung to each other for a while.

"Sam, I don't want to be the party pooper here, but we can't do this, you know that." Jack's voice trembled. He hated to say it, hated to turn her away. It was his turn, she had done it last time. One of them had to be sensible.

"Yep. I know it. I just… I wanted…" She took a deep breath before plunging on, "I needed you to know that I still would."

Jack pulled back slightly, smiling wistfully. "That's good then, right?" He shifted slightly uncomfortably, and replied. "Um… ditto, Sam. You know that, right?" What was he thinking? Ditto? What sort of thing was that to say? Sam, however, laughed. So very Jack.

"So… can a CO still give his second a friendly little hug, sir?"

"Oh, I think I can arrange that, Carter." So he continued to hold her in his arms, pulling her close again."

After a long time, during which they relished the close contact and both fantasised about how it might go further, Sam pulled slowly away.

"I guess I'd better go Jack." He smiled at her continued use of his familiar name. It felt so comfortable. Better not let it get that way, he thought, ruefully. She continued, "We might do something we'll both regret."

Jack didn't think he'd regret it in the least; well, perhaps he was wrong there. They might end up feeling awkward. It might not work; be a total disaster. It was well and truly against the regs. At the very least, it would change the team; their work together. It was a lot to consider.

"Sure, Sam." His voice was low and sorrowful.

She moved quickly back towards him, giving him as quick peck on the cheek. Jack swallowed back his desire to take her in his arms once more; to make love to her.

"Goodnight, sir." Jack sighed at the 'sir'.

"Goodnight, Carter." He replied, guessing he ought to stay used to it.

When Sam got to the top of the ladder, about to go down, she turned back towards him.

"Can I come again, Jack? To watch the stars on your roof?"

Jack's smile reached far into the depths of his heart.

"Sure, Sam. Peachy!"