samandjack.net

Story Notes: EMAIL: dustdevil@btinternet.com

ARCHIVE: S&J Archive and Heliopolis, Yes. Others...please ask.

FEEDBACK: Yes please! Feeeeeeeeeeedbaaaaaaaaack...drool...

SPOILERS: Uh...don't think so...but it's set season 3.


"Goodnight Sir"

"Goodnight Carter"

And the night ends. This is the way nights spent on base have been ending for the last few years. It's familiar, comforting, and part of our regular ritual. For some reason the Colonel always gets bored at nights on base, especially when he has reports to write, and so he forces us to spend time with him in the lounge. We all know he'd rather be at home watching hockey or listening to opera or doing whatever it is he does by himself, and we'd rather be out there having a life too, but seemingly more regularly than not SG1 are confined to base. The reasons can be various; we've not been medically cleared, we're in trouble with the General, there's a world scale disaster imminent, whatever. But when we're stuck there with nothing but the four grey walls of our featureless quarters to entertain us, then almost anything is better. And for some other reason it's always the two of us left at the end, the Colonel and I, and eventually I'll get up to go when either of us makes the first yawn and we'll do the rounds tidying up our mess and putting off all the lights. Then we'll pause in the corridor outside before going our separate ways to our separate quarters, and then...

"Goodnight Sir"

"Goodnight Carter"

And the night is over. A couple of times there's been three, or even four of us at the end, but Teal'c likes to get a full night of kel'no'reem and Daniel gets tired early. And other times I'm too busy in the lab, or we'll all busy, but somehow the Colonel always manages to wheedle us out of what we're doing and come fetch us and drag us to the lounge, like last night.

"Aw come on Carter, I can't watch this movie all by myself, y'know how scared I get, and besides, it's gotta go back tomorrow"

What could I say to that? He waggled the rental copy of Scream under my nose and I heard myself say yes.

"Great! Now that you're coming ya can come and help me persuade Danny, he's being difficult"

"But sir you told me Daniel was already going to be there!"

He smiled that naughty little boy smile, and I instantly forgave him any little white lies. After all if he's lying merely to get me to spend time with him then I can't really complain can I? I love spending time with him, and I really don't need an excuse. He grins more at me, then when I don't move he peels my fingers away from the tools I was holding and drags me out into the corridor and towards Daniel's lab. He keeps a firm hold of my fingers but he needn't, for I think I would follow him anywhere. Oh stop gushing Sam, feeling all soppy over your commanding officer is a very bad thing, but how can I possibly resist? That tousled hair, the cheeky smile, those deep velvety eyes, not to mention a body that keeps me hanging around in the gym long after I've finished my own workout. Okay I admit it I'm well and truly smitten, and though I know it can't be, a girl can dream can't she? At least I seem to be the most important woman in his life, and that's enough for me.

So after a minimum of fuss he managed to drag both Daniel and Teal'c along, and we hogged the lounge for the whole night. We watched movies and we ate popcorn, and then we played cards. After midnight Daniel and Teal'c left, and the Colonel and I just had to finish the last round of cards. An hour later he finally managed to beat me (boy can he bluff with those eyes!) and we packed up to leave. I was carrying the TV back over to the lockable cupboard when I tripped over the Colonel's big feet, and though we managed to save the TV we ended up in a pile on the floor and bumped noses. We laughed for a minute and then the situation seemed to change. All of a sudden I was very, very aware of his physical proximity, and from the look in his eyes it seemed that he was too. We just sat there and panted for a moment, and then the weight of the TV became too much and I had to move. He scrambled out from on top of me and helped me to my feet, and we did the rest of the tidying up in silence. Up until that moment I had never seriously entertained the idea that he might like me too, yes he'd looked at me and made the odd comment, but now I think about it, all those times I thought he was merely being protective, he could have been jealous!

He kept stealing glances at me as we picked popcorn up of the floor, and I had the strangest feeling that he was thinking along the same lines as me. Job finally done we walked to the door, and I put out the light and he locked up. Then we found ourselves outside in our usual positions, and before the moment could stretch I completed the nightly ritual and let us both off the hook.

"Goodnight Sir"

"Goodnight Carter"

And we both went our separate ways to our separate quarters. I've never felt a more sudden change in the air as I did that night, and I can't shake the feeling that something changed, just a little change, but a change nonetheless. The next day went swiftly, a day I spent in the lab hunched over my books, and when the clock struck six I decided that I better get home fast before the boys caught me. I was still unsure about the night before, and I didn't want another weird night with the Colonel. I was just finishing a sentence when I was startled out of my thoughts by a clamour at the doorway, and I turned to see the Colonel and Daniel waving for my attention. Looks like I'm not going to escape tonight.

"Hey Carter! You ready for Scream 2?" The Colonel yelled, and Daniel weakly shook the tape box at me. Looks like the Colonel managed to coerce Daniel first this time. I sighed and looked down at my work, but by the time I'd looked back up at them my pen was already being taken out of my hand and Daniel was wheeling my chair back.

"Yeah Sam, come on, don't leave me with Jack and a horror film, I'd much rather he grabbed you in the dark than me"

They both grinned at me and I just had to go. And here I am. It's a little after one in the morning, and Daniel and Teal'c are long gone. So it's just me and the Colonel sitting next to one another on the couch, and the credits of the film slowly roll up the screen. We haven't said a word, just sat next to each other, well, if I'm honest we've been leaning on each other, but when the screen turns to snow, the Colonel gets up and clicks it off, and puts the main light on. I sigh and get to my feet, and we start the nightly ritual of cleaning up. This time at least we don't drop the TV, but there is some indefinable tension in the air as we tidy. Job finally done we turn off the lights. Locking the door we turn and stand in the corridor and automatically smile at each other, and playing my part I say.

Nothing.

I simply stand there and smile uncertainly and say nothing. For once I'm taking the issue into my own hands and I'll say nothing. Your turn sir, your move, I'm tired of the responsibility. For once it's all yours. If this tension between us is felt by him, then I want to push matters and sort it out. The silence stretches and when he realises I haven't spoken, and I'm not going to, he starts to fidget. His eyes slide away from mine and start to cast around the corridor for something to focus on, and his hands tunnel into his pockets, drawing his shoulders forward and down as he rocks on his heels. His jaw hangs slack and his tongue searches his mouth, obviously looking for some suitable words.

"Uh."

Obviously finding none one hand moves up to rub at the back of his neck while the other digs further into his pants pocket, aiming for China. I tuck my hands behind my back and wait, and for a second he looks like he's going to bolt. His eyes flick to me nervously, then he half turns, and looking back at me his mouth opens, and words stumble out.

"Goodnight Carter"

"...Goodnight Sir" I answer with a small smile, and he turns and strides purposefully down the corridor and away from me. I guess I have my answer. Oh well, so much for change, I guess its back to the same old tradition from now on.



***************************************



It's been a week since we had any downtime, and a hell of a difficult week at that. Invasions, abductions, all the norm for the SGC. So finally we're free for the night, and as usual, even though we're all very tired, it looks like no sleep for us. I had just finally emerged from the changing rooms in a new set of fatigues when I was yanked backwards and hauled round to see the Colonel, Daniel and Teal'c. The latter two didn't look too impressed at being there but the Colonel was always good at persuading us, its one of his more annoyinf traits.

So, once again I find myself spending all night yakking and watching pointless TV, and once again the Colonel and I are left alone. I'm so tired tonight that I don't even ask myself why he spends most of the time shooting little glances at me, and when we rise to tidy I walk like a zombie around the room filing things away. The Colonel seems to think I need cheering up, and insists in constantly making terrible little jokes about everything he sees or I say, and I do find myself grinning when the job is finally finished.

We walk out the room laughing and I flick off the light. He closes the door behind us, then we find oursleves facing each other in the corridor once more. He smiles tentatively at me, and I smile warmly in reply to show him that it'll be okay, that I'm not going to put him in any difficult position tonight, or ever again. I lower my head and close my eyes smiling, and when I open my mouth to say goodnight, I find my lips held closed by his fingertips. I jerk backwards and open my eyes, and the fingers of his outstretched hand still hover in front of my lips. I follow the line of that arm all the way up to his eyes, and I find him regarding me strangely as if he was seeing me for the very first time. I close my mouth and say nothing, and this time my silence seems only to please and encourage him. His fingers stretch slowly towards me again, and land carefully on my shoulder before slowly trailing down my arm to my hand, making me shiver at that sweeping touch. Finally his fingers curl around mine, and gently tug me to his side.

And then he simply leads me to his room.

No words, no explanations, he simply takes my hand and pulls me along the corridor and into his quarters and into his arms, and against his warm, lean body, his lips coming down to claim mine. From there, eventually and naturally, into his bed. Afterwards we lie quietly, tangled in his sheets, tired and breathless and sated, and he draws me close, and places a brief kiss among my hair. I tilt my chin and smile at him, and his sleepy brown eyes twinkle as the corners of his mouth lifts and he waits for me to speak.. I mean I know the words, don't I?

"Goodnight Sir"

"Goodnight Carter"

And it certainly was. Ritual and routine can only go so far towards happiness.

Sometimes you have to make that break from tradition.



************************************** THE END **************************************