samandjack.net

Story Notes: Status: Complete

Spoilers: If you should not know the series Early Edition: It's about a guy, named Gary Hobson. Every morning -– at 6.30 a.m. -– the Chicago Sun-Times is delivered by a cat to him. So there he goes to rescue old ladies from fast cars and to prevent, that nasty boys rob the local bank. Sometimes he gets help from his friends Chuck and Marisa. Stargate Spoilers: Singularity for Cassie. In The Line Of Duty and Tok'ra for Jolinar and Selmak. Upgrades for Anise. Holiday for Ma'chello's invention. Past and Present for Vyus and Ke'ra. Family for Rya'c and Drey'auc. And Window Of Opportunity for the kiss. J

Archive: Heliopolis/SJA -yes

Author's Note: This one is inspired by and dedicated to A. Since she is my room-mate I had to see several episodes of Early Edition. Oh and sorry for the mess with Jack and Sam.

FEEDBACK PLEASE!


Gary opened his eyes and looked at the night stand, where the clock was. It showed 5.20. He had still one hour, so he turned his back to the clock and tried to sleep on. But failed, because there it was again, the noise, that made him wake up so early in the morning. A cat was miaowing and meanwhile trying to scratch the door in pieces. Gary reluctantly stood up and walked to the door to let the cat in.

"What are you doing here? I have still one hour to sleep!" he complained and stood aside to let the cat in. Then he looked down at the threshold and there it was, the Chicago Sun-Times of tomorrow. He lifted up the paper and as he walked back into his room, he was reading it. Finally he placed the paper on his desk and while he was dressing up, he called the airport. He was lucky, they had still places on the line to Denver. He was still shocked, as he called a taxi. His face was pale and he has never felt such anxiety before. At the airport he went to a booth and called Marisa, who was not exactly overjoyous to hear his voice so early in the morning.

"Gary, it's 5.55, what do you want from me?"

"Marisa, I'm at the airport and are waiting for my flight to Denver."

"Where to?"

"To Denver, Colorado. Please, Marisa. Tell Chuck, that I cannot help him today in the restaurant, and please, give the cat some food."

"Gary, why are you going to Colorado?"

"I cannot tell you. I have to go, they have already called us. I'll call you as soon as possible.

"Alright, Gary. Have a good flight!" Gary boarded the plane and sat down next to an old lady, who was speaking of her grandchildren all the time. Gary felt sorry for her, maybe she will never be able to see her family again. In Denver he rented a car and headed to Colorado Springs. At the foot of the Cheyenne Mountain he was stopped at the first control stage. He said, that he was sent to General Hammond from The President himself and so he was let drive further.

"You cannot pass without the permission of General Hammond, and he said nothing about a visitor" at the second control stage Chief Master Sergeant Henderson said, after Gary told him his story.

"The President of the USA sent me."

"And even if the Lord were sent you, you could only pass with the permission of General Hammond."

"Then I suggest, we call him."

"I will call him. You will stay here and do not try any tricks, these boys are excellent shooters."

"I believe you and I keep still, I promise"



*****



"SG-1 code, Sir" Lt. Simmons announced.

"Open the iris, Lieutenant!" General Hammond ordered. First came Jack through and after looking around, he sighed with relief. Then came Teal'c with Daniel in his arms. As the last, Sam jumped through the gate, and as she was rolling down the ramp, she shouted for the close of the iris. Janet was immedatetly there and she ordered Teal'c to the infirmay.

"What happened, Colonel?"

"I don't know, sir. They welcomed us so warm and we pitched camp at the skirt of their little town. We had a party last night. Everybody was making friends, even Teal'c, sir. And as we woke up, we only found wicked and extremly hostile little creatures. Oh they were they, but they were like animals. We ran to the Stargate, but they were following us. Daniel was dialling home, as they began to shoot us with those little nasty arrows. They do not use bows, they do spit it, sir. And I guess, the arrow-heads were poisoned."

"Colonel, Major, go and have yourself checked out. Debriefing is after Dr Jackson's recovery."

"Yes, sir! " they nodded in unison and left the gate room. General Hammond went to his office back. He was walking in, as the phone rang.

"General Hammond here."

"Sir, here is Chief Master Sergeant Henderson. There is a man claiming he were sent to you by the President himself."

"I'm not awaiting a visitor, Chief."

"Sir, he knew your name. Your full name. I have seen some strange people in my life, but he is not that kind of. He seems to me not like a lunatic, sir."

"I'll come up, let him wait a while. If it's really important, he will wait."

"Yes, sir." General Hammond went to the infimary, he wanted Colonel O'Neill to accompany him to the surface. He found Jack and Sam standing beside Daniel Jackson's bed. Janet was studying the test results. On the faces of Sam and Jack was worry. Finally Janet looked up and nodded.

"Your guess was right, Colonel. There is poison in his blood. A little amount is in Teal'c's blood, too. But he has his symbiote. I gave Daniel antibiotics, till we can find an antidote."

"Will he be okay, Dr Fraiser?" Sam asked.

"I hope so. Sir?" she noticed General Hammond standing at the door.

"Is he okay, Dr Fraiser?" General Hammond asked, pointing to Jack

"Yes, sir. I have already given him a clean bill of health."

"Colonel, come with me. Major, you can stay here or go to your quarter."

"I'll stay here, sir."

"Alright, Major. Colonel O'Neill? Colonel?" he called the colonel, who was staring at Major Carter.

"Coming, sir" he shook his head to clear his mind. In the elevator the General told him about the man and about the opinion of Henderson.

"He has a good judgment, when it's about people, Colonel. I know him personally, so I trust him, if he says, that the man is no lunatic."

"Yes, sir."

"I want you to keep eye on him, while I'm speaking with him."

"Yes, sir."



*****



On the surface Chief Master Sergeant Henderson greeted them. As he was speaking with the general, Jack was examining the man. He seemed to be a normal man, except only, that he held his newspaper, if it were an extraordinary important document. Jack shook his head to clear his mind. Then he saw the sweatshirt he wore. On it was the logo of the Chicago Cubs. He walked to him to make small talk, while the general was still busy with talking to Henderson.

"Hi!" he greeted the man with a nod. " What did they played yesterday?"

"I beg your pardon?" Gary asked back.

"I mean the Cubs, how were they yesterday?"

"I don't know, Colonel." Jack looked down on his BDU and could not trace a name tag or the sign of his rank.

"How do you know who I am? And why don't you know how the play was, although you have a paper?"

"Colonel, can I ask you, what are you doing?"

"I wanted to make small talk with him, but he didn't play along, sir. And he knows my rank."

"I even know your name Colonel O'Neill " Gary nodded.

"But how?"

"Does the name Heru'ur say you something?"

"What are you talking about?" Sam always thought, that Jack could play the fool, if it was needed. It seemed, that Gary almost believed his uncomprehending facial expression.

"Jim Carrey could take lessons from you, Colonel O'Neill, but I know, you know this name exactly. And what about the names Major Samantha Carter, Dr Daniel Jackson, Teal'c , Dr Janet Fraiser, Lt. Graham Simmons or Cassandra? Have you ever heard their names before?"

"How could you know-…?"

"I'll show you" he said and handed Jack the paper. On the cover of the Chicago Sun-Times stood with large letters: THE END OF THE WORLD. Jack dipped into the newspaper and read some lines.

"Why is this paper from tomorrow?"

"I don't know" Gary shook his head. " You know, I never had to do with such a great problem. I have only tried to help the people of Chicago."

"You mean, you get the paper of tomorrow everyday?"

"Exactly, Colonel O'Neill."

"Holy Hannah! I don't envy you!"

"Colonel O'Neill, what are you talking about, you believe this story?"

"I have to, sir. There are our names in this article. And Heru'ur's, too. I have to believe this man's story, sir."

"Come with us-…"

"Gary Hobson, sir."

"Come with us, Mr Hobson. I want Major Carter to hear this madness." Gary was given a visitor's card and was let in. In the elevator Jack was reading the paper.

"Page three, Colonel" Gary suggested. Jack turned to page three, and read the next article. The elevator door was open, but he didn't noticed. For a moment he looked down.

"That's why you knew Cassandra's name, too?" he asked quietly.

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"What's wrong, Colonel?"

"We will die, sir."

"We?"

"You, Janet and SG-1, sir. We will be the first victims of the Goa'uld attack against Earth."

"Corporal Hunter, call Major Carter to my office. She is in the infirmary. Teal'c is there, too."

"Yes, sir!"

"Mr Hobson, please, take a seat, while we are waiting for Major Carter and Teal'c."

"Thank you, sir." Sam and Teal'c arrived in five minutes.

"Sir?" Sam asked, looking at the unknown man.

"Major Carter, take a seat. Colonel, please, read out the article."

"`Yesterday around 4 p.m. a secret military facility was attacked by an alien civilazation. The SGC, Stargate Command, was the only barrier between us and this attack. The brave men and women serving there, could never earn the thanks we should owe them. The SGC was under the command of Major General George Samuel Hammond and its exitence was only known by the Joint Chief Staffs and the President himself. Not even the Vice President knew about them. The leader of those aliens is called Heru'ur. They were on Earth a long time ago, they acted as ancient gods. Such as Ra, Hathor, Cronos and Heru'ur. They use a human body as host to live within. They look like us, they talk like us, unless their eyes are glowing, because then their voice is echoic and much deeper as usual. Their goal is to enslave all people on Earth, and they are looking for bodies to be their hosts. They posses infinite power and hight-tech weapons.' Infinite is not the right term. They wanna scare the hell out of the people?"

"Go on, please!"

"The first victims of the attack were the members of the first team of the SGC. SG-1 was Jonathan `Jack' O'Neill, Major Samantha `Sam' Carter, Dr Daniel Jackson and a likewise alien man, named Teal'c. This man was fighting along with his team-members, in the hope one day be able to free his people from the Goa'uld opression. They were together with Major General George S. Hammond and Major Doctor Janet Fraiser executed."

"What?!!" Sam jumped up from her chair. " I cannot believe this. When should this have happened?" she asked, and then her face lit up. "Oh, I see, this man is from another reality."

"Not exactly" Jack shook his head. " It's only the newspaper of tomorrow."

"Are you saying, this will happen today?"

"Yes. And it even could come worse" Jack looked down for a moment again.

"Cass is here to visit her mom" Sam stated.

"`As they were about to kill an innocent girl, Lt.Graham Simmons sacrificed his own life to save her. Although for nothing. Cassandra Fraiser was the foster daughter of Dr Janet Fraiser. Her own folk was estinguished by the Goa'uld, too. She found home on Earth, she was only fifteen years old."

"For cryin'out loud, it's enough!" Sam cried. The thought of Cassie's possible dead was almost unbearable.

"Believe me, I don't wanna read more either" Jack said quietly, with understanding in his eyes.

"Is there something about how could they penetrate into the SGC?" Teal'c asked.

"There is, on page six" Gary said. " They knew the IDC."

"How could they?"

"Which teams are off-world, sir?" Jack asked.

"SG-8 supported by SG-6, and SG-10 supported by SG-11."

"We have to go after them, and check-…" Sam said.

"You are going nowhere, Major" General Hammond raised his voice.

"But, sir-…"

"No objection! We will send a M.A.L.P. through. Major, figure out something, so we could reach them with the M.A.L.P. They should be far away from the immediate gate area."

"Yes, sir!"

"Colonel, Teal'c, come with me! We have to prepare the base for an attack. Knowing is the half winning, or so."

"Sir, can I help Major Carter, please?" Jack asked.

"Why? Waitaminute! Major?" General Hammond turned from Sam to Jack.

"Yes, sir" Jack lowered his head.

"Colonel?" General Hammond turned to Sam.

"Yes, sir."

"Should I assume, that you are Daniel Jackson?" he then turned to Teal'c.

"No, sir. I'm me."

"Colonel go and figure out something! Major, Teal'c come with me! We have to prepare the base for this attack."

"Me, sir?"

"Whoever Major Carter is, should go and figure out something. We have no time for this. After danger is over, I wanna hear the whole story! Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir!" came the answer in unison.



*****



Jack/Sam, Teal'c and General Hammond left the office, and Sam/Jack escorted Gary to the elevator.

"Thank you for the warning, Mr Hobson. We have now at least a chance."

"What can I do?"

"Nothing, I fear " Sam/ Jack shook his head.

"Then I guess, I should go" Gary hesitated for a moment, then walked to the elevator. At this moment the door slid open, and Cassie stepped out with her mother.

"Oh, Mr Hobson!" Sam/Jack called after him. " Actually, there is something, you could do for me. Please, bring Janet and Cassie away from here." Cassie is going, Sam. I'm not."

"How did you know, that I'm Sam?"

"You have just called me Janet. And in the infirmary, Jack was acting very strange."

"I see. Alright, you can stay" he nodded. " Hi, sweetheart!"

"Is that really you, Sam?"

"Yes, sweetheart. I would like you to go with Gary."

"But I want to stay here with mom, you and Jack and -…"

"It's not possible, honey" Janet told her. " You have to go. She has the keys and she knows the way home. If anything should happen, please, take good care of her."

"I will, I promise." Cassie went and hugged Sam/Jack.

"It feels like I would hug both of you. Please, tell Jack, that I love him."

"I will tell him, sweetheart. And now, you really have to go. Please, Gary, take good care of her." Gary nodded and then took Cassie by the hand and stepped in the elevator.

"Cassie must be really sad. She allowed him to take her hand."

"I have seen it" Janet nodded. " How this was happened to you?"

"I have to go to my lab, come with me, and I will tell you my hypothesis."

"It's very strange to hear that word in Jack's voice" Janet smiled at him.

"Janet, I'm suffering here!" Sam complained.

"Sure. Have you tried to look at yourself? You know, his hormones are still the same."

"Janet, you are a nasty, wicked little witch-doctor. How could you think about such things?"

"Have you tried?" she asked grinning.

"Yes" Sam grinned back at her. " As I was leaving the infirmary with the general." " Oh, and he had to call you twice."

"One was for not remembering, that I'm him."

"And the other one?"

"I leave it to your imagination. I guess, by now, he has to know my chemical reactions on him, too."

"What a shame!" Janet grinned at her. " And now, tell me how it happened!"

"We arrived on that planet. They welcomed us very warm. Kisses on the cheek, flowers in your hair, you know, as they were from the sixties. Daniel said, that they could be from Hawaii or French Polinesia. The girls reminded me on Gauguin pictures. They were beautiful, Janet. Oh and I guess, they have never seen somebody with blonde hair and blue eyes. Daniel was very welcomed by the girls and I earned some adoring looks from the men. The Colonel said, that that's why we are sleeping in our own tents and he set his next to mine."

"Really?"

"Yes. You know, sometimes he can be so overprotective. Ha asked Teal'c to set his tent at the other side of mine. In the night we had a little party, and after saying good-night, we returned to our tents. I couldn't sleep, so I took Daniel's watch. Not much longer after that, the Colonel had joined me at the fire. We talked a while and I got finally tired. He pulled me up to escort me back to my tent, as a shiver ran down my spine, and the next thing I was looking at, was myself. I looked down on me, and saw Jack's body. We decided, that this is not happening, that this is only a nightmare, and so we went back to our tents, me to mine and Jack to his. Boy, you should have seen Daniel's face, as I was climbing out as Jack from my tent."

"Why didn't you take a picture?"

"I'm so sorry, but somehow I forgot to take the camera with me, when I was climbing out of my tent" Sam grinned at Janet.

"Lose it, Sam! This grin is evil, not mischieviously!"

"I always liked his grin" Sam said hurted.

"Me too, but apparently you don't know the right muscles to move for the same result."

"And then came the villagers in `gone crazy'- mode and we had to ran. Daniel was hit on the shoulders and you know the story after that."

"Does General Hammond know about this?"

"He knows yet. I guess we have made some great mitakes. I called you Janet, and he called you Dr Fraiser. I said Holy Hannah and he said For cryin' out loud."

"Oh, that was, what I always wanted to hear from you!"

"Maybe, you will still have the opportunity to hear it. How is Daniel?"

"He is okay. We have found an antidote. He will sleep for at least twelve hours, till the poison leaves his body."

"I guess, it's better for him. He will sleep the whole nightmare over. And now, I have to work on the M.A.L.P. Bye, Janet."



*****



As Cassie and Gary arrived home, Cassie was really upset. Gary wasn't telling her the truth and this made her suspicous. Without a word she went to her room, and switched on her computer. Meanwhile Gary allowed himself a call to Chicago.

"Marisa, it's me, Gary."

"Where are you?"

"Still in Colorado. I don't know, if I will be still able to fly home tonight."

"It has to be really important."

"Believe me, it is. How is Chuck?"

"He is sick, he caught a flu or something like that. I have decided to close the restaurant for today, only the bar is open."

"Good. I'm really sorry, Marisa!"

"Don't be. And take care of yourself, Gary!"

"I'll try. Good-bye, Marisa! Have I told you, that I really like you?"

"Not yet, but it's very kind, thank you. Bye, Gary!"

"Bye, Marisa!" Gary laid back on the couch and was staring into space for a while. So came, that he didn't notice Cassie, standing there, leaning to the doorframe.

"You are either Superman or you can foretell the future. Although I really like Superman, I think the second is the truth."

"Cassie?"

"Only my friends can call me Cassie. For you, it's Cassandra."

"Cassandra, I had to bring you away."

"I know, but you don't wanna tell me why!"

"I cannot, and I'm not allowed."

"Tell me how comes, that you have saved at least ten peoples lives? And I don't even dare to ask, how many they really were."

"You are very smart."

"I have Internet, you know. I gave in your name and then wrote Chicago next to yours. How wonderful, it spit out your name, as it was mentioned ten times in the same newspaper, namely the Chicago Sun- Times. And you was always the hero. I mean, nobody got suspicious?" Cassie approached the couch and the little desk in front of it. On the desk was lying the Chicago Sun-Times and over it Gary's jacket. Only the head of the paper could be seen. Cassie noticed the date and added two and two together

"I guess, they didn't wanna see."

"Can I take a look in your newspaper?"

"No, Cassandra" Gary knew, that she knew.

"I have to insist, that you show me."

"Cassandra, I don't want you to see this."

"Mr Hobson, please, show me! I'm fifteen, I know, but I'm older in here" she showed to her head.

"But you are younger in there" Gary pointed to her heart.

"Please!"

"No, Cassandra!" Gary refused her wish, he hoped for the last time. And really, Cassie seemingly accepted this last `no', and sat down next to him. She was chatting about her school. Gary was on guard for five minutes, but then he decided to trust her. Little did he know. Cassie could be very persistent, if she really wanted something. After ten minutes, she suddenly rose to her feet, picked up the paper, and ran to her room. Gary could hear the lock click.

"Cassandra, please, do not read the paper!"

"I have to" and that were her lost words for a good half an hour. Gary waited for her in the living room impatiently. She came back, eyes filled with tears.

"I'm sorry for stealing your paper" she said in a very shaky voice. " You should have leave me there."

"Cassandra-…" Gary sighed.

"You don't know me! Life means nothing to me without them. And it's not like I will loose one or two of them, although it would be terrible, someday I could move on. But they are my all! And I have already lost a family! Sure, I cannot remember them, but I do remember the feeling of anxiety and loneliness. Until Sam and the others had found me. I cannot bear the thought of the loss of my mom, Sam, Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, Uncle George and Graham! I have to go back" she said in a firm voice. Gary could see the resolution in her eyes, and he knew, he had to stop her from making something ill- considered action.

"I know, you are smart, Cassandra, and I know you will see my point. Look, if you were there, you would be a distraction. They couldn't really concentrate on their works, because they were worried to sick about you. Do you really want this?"

"What was in the paper before you got me out of the SGC?"

"I think" Gary sighed " to be smart, is not always a comfortable thing."

"So?"

"What is in now about Graham?"

"That he was trying to save my mom, and he was killed by one of the Jaffas."

"He was about to save you, but he sacrificed his life for nothing. Apparently they knew every little detail of you. They chose SG-1, General Hammond, your mom and you."

"I-…"

"You know, that you cannot go back. Let them fight this battle."

"Do you know, what those people did for me?"

"No, and I don't think, that you were allowed to tell me."

"Why not? You know about the Stargate, you know about the Goa'uld, and you know, that I'm not from Toronto. I can tell you. You know, what Sam was ready to do for me?" Cassie told him everything about the attack against her homeplanet Hanka, about the bomb inside her, about Sam staying with her.

"And I have so much to lose, Mr Hobson! They are my family. And even Graham. He is one of my best friends. Guess, because I could speak with him about the Stargate. He is like an elder brother to me. Sometimes he babysits me on the base, when mom has to work. We share a lot of little secrets. You know, he worshippes Sam, but only form the far. We all know, that Sam and Jack do belong together."

"I was wondering, how could they play each other so believeable."

"They know each other very well. But they couldn't fool me."

"Why not?"

"There are some little habits, they couldn't hide. First, Jack calls me the most time Cass. Sometimes Cassie. Sam calls me sweetheart or sweetie. Jack calls mom Dr Fraiser and Sam calls her Janet. They are really good friends, you know. And when they are upset, Jack always says: For cryin' out loud, and Sam always says: Holy Hannah."

"That's intresting" Gary smiled at her.

"You didn't meet Daniel. I wish, you did. He is so strong, although he doesn't look that way. He is still working together with them, although he has lost his wife to the Goa'uld. She was infected by one of those snake-heads."

"Snake-head?"

"Jack gave them the name. They look like snakes and they slide in by your neck. They first attack your immune system and then your brain. After the blending you are a host forever, because without the larve, you cannot survive. And they can live really long. We are speaking of hundreds of years minimum. They can live for 300-400 years in one body. After that, they either change body, or they use a sarcophagus. You are trapped in your own body, and all you wish is dying."

"How-…" Gary couldn't end the sentence, he was shocked.

"Scary, terrible, disgusting?" Cassie helped him out.

"I guess, all of that."

"And Sam went through this. You can imagine how scared she was. And after the goa'uld died for her, she went back, and she still does her duty. Jack was infected only for few minutes. He is still working in the SGC. I mean, they save the world on an every day ration! Do you see how brave and wonderful these people are? And they are my people, I cannot stand to loose them. Let me go back, Mr Hobson."

"I will not let you go back, Cassandra."

"I hate you! I hate you for doing this to me!" she ran back into her room.

"Cassandra" Gary stood outside. " What you have seen written in the paper is only an option. And they know now about the danger. They have time to prepare themselves for the fighting." The door opened and Cassie stood there with red eyes.

"Sorry, I don't hate you."

"I know. You cannot hate me, you don't even know me."

"I know, that you are a very brave man."

"Well, thank you."

"Do you have a family?" she asked, as they were walking back to the living room.

"I have my parents."

"No kids?"

"Unfortunatly no kids."

"No wife?"

"I'm divorced."

"What was her name?"

"Marsha. But it feels like, it was in another life."

"Mom says the same, she is divorced, too. Jack, too. Jack had a son, his name was Charlie. He shot himself with Jack's gun."

"Oh my God! Once I had a same experience. It was terrible."

" Jack is still mourning over his son. I wish him to be alive. Sometimes he plays with me baseball and his eyes go blank. Charlie loved baseball."

"Cassandra-…"

"You can call me Cassie, I was only mad at you. Only teacher call me Cassandra."

"Cassie, look, I know now, how much do they mean to you, but you cannot go back."

"I know. I have just realized, as I was talking about Charlie. What if they were killing me in front of them. They have to beg for my life, or they would sacrifice their lives for me, like Graham was supposed to do. It would be unbearable."

"Do you promise me to stay with me?"

"Yes, I promise you."

"Thank you, Cassie."

"Do you have got friends?"

"Yes, Marisa and Chuck. Marisa is my still small voice within.. She tells me what right is and what not. And Chuck, well, he is the other side. But he is a good man. He helps me a lot."

"Is Marisa married?"

"No, why?"

"I don't wanna tell you, what to do, but you should call her."

"I did it, after we have arrived."

"And facing the end of the world told her everything?"

"No, I only told her, that I very much like her."

"Well this is a beginning. I can tell you, that Jack will tell nothing to Sam. Unless they are really about to die. With his last breath, maybe. And Daniel? He is such a shy person! I hoped so much, that one day, maybe, he could be my father. He would be such a great father! Jack is doing well, but he is not my father. He should have a family on his own. And I wish a little sister for myself. How terrible, that this will never happen. "

"This hopes should give you strength and trust, Cassie."



*****



"Sir, we have reached SG-8 and SG-6. Major Carter's do-hickey was working" Jack/Sam reported.

"I would be gald, if you were not saying this in her voice."

"Same here, sir" Sam/Jack nodded.

"But we couldn't reach SG-10 and 11" Jack said, letting the remarks go by on him. `It was not his fault, for cryin' out loud!'

"Okay, we have sent the signal for the Tok'ra. Jacob should arrive in every minute."

"I hope, that Anise will not come with him" Jack/Sam murmured, but apparently loud enough.

"Why?" Sam's intrest had been aroused, he knew it was a big mistake to mention Anise. " Should I expect her to do something embarassing with me?" she asked.

"It' s still my body, Major!"

"And I'm still in it, sir! So, would you just tell me? I don't wanna ruin a perfect relationship."

"Major Carter!" came the reprimand from both of her COs.

"Sorry, I don't know where this came from. I'm really sorry."

"Well, it sounded like me. Let's say, that I was speaking from you."

"I accept your offer, sir. Thank you."

"You are welcome, Major."

"But we are still waiting for the answer, son."

"Okay, okay. She kissed me once, or twice, I don't remember."

"You let her kiss you?" Sam asked him.

"She took me by surprise" Jack shrugged Sam's shoulders, and then supressed a vince of pain.

"What have you done to my body?"

"Sorry, but I forgot for a moment and I lifted up something heavy."

"So, what should I say to Anise?"

"I have already told her everything, and that's why I strongly hope, that she won't come. Come on, people, you know me, even if I were intrested in the host, which I'm surely not, there is still the goa'uld inside. No offense, Major, I like your Dad. But in my eyes they are a goa'uld." ` We are no Goa'uld!' ` Get out of my mind!' ` We are no Goa'uld!' ` Yes, you are. I really like Jacob, but that's all. I hate you for putting Sam through a nightmare, and I hate Anise for seeing in us nothing else but a guinea-pig! And I didn't like your Martouf either. How is this works? I mean, I know your language!' ` This is quite intresting, I stayed here and she went away.' ` Nevermind! Just shut up!' Jack opened Sam's eyes and looked at yourself and the General.

"What happened?" Sam asked worried.

"Well, I had a little talk with Jolinar."

"I was wondering, where she was staying. I know, how she is. Sometimes, it seems like she would participate in the conversation."

"She was there, and I really want my body back! How can you stand her?"

"Well, she sacrificed her life for me, that helps a lot."

"Well, she shouldn't have to infect you."

"Good point. Wow, this was the first time, that she didn't talk back."

"Well, she has tried, but miserably failed."

"Do you mind, if I say you somehting?" General Hammond asked them.

"Back to the salt mines, sir?" Sam/ Jack said., and stood up.

"This is good. You wanna me stay so, sir? I mean, that obedient."

"Not a bit!" General Hammond decided, that this was too weird for his taste. He left his office, leaving the two behind. He could still hear, Jack's voice remaining Jack not to hurt her body again. He sighed with resignation, and went to the gate room to control whatever have to be controlled.

"Sam" Jack/Sam sighed.

"Jack" Sam/Jack sighed. There was a moment of understanding silence.

"We should go back to work. We have a Goa'uld attack to survive" Jack/Sam face darkened.

"Wanna fool my Dad, sir?" she wanted to cheer him up.

"Yes!"



*****



As they have arrived at the gate room, Jacob/Selmak was already there with two other Tok'ra by his side.

"Sammy" he hugged Jack/Sam and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"Thank you, Dad, very well."

"That's good. And now, tell me what your problem is" he turned to his friend George.

"We have no contact to two of our teams, Jacob. We know about a Goa'uld attack against Earth, they will know our iris opening codes. So we suggest, that they will take it from those teams."

"I see. Who will attack you?"

"Heru'ur."

"Not good." ` There is something strange about your daughter, Jacob.' ` I cannot feel anthing strange.' ` I don't feel it either, I see it.'

"Selmak says, that something is wrong with you, Sammy. Is she right?"

"Why is she always poking her nose into something! Selmak, you have ruined our little play. We were about to fool Dad. You could have been amused, too."

"What are you talking about, Colonel?"

"Well, that's it, Dad" Sam/Jack said. " It's me, your Sam, in his body."

"How could this happen?"

"Good question, and after danger is over, we will try to figure out, right, sir?"

"Right, Major"

"That's really weird" Jacob said, and Selmak was agreed.

"Ya think?" General Hammond asked him, still remembering every minute of that scary conversation in his office. At his remark Jack/Sam grinned, and Sam/Jack started to giggle, but then both of them looked at each other with a concern on their faces.

"This is really weird" they said in unison.

"Too bad, that Danny cannot see us" Jack/Sam said.

"Oh, before I forget, if you feel the urge to say fro cryin' out loud, call Janet before. I think, she will laugh, till she cries."

"Major, Colonel! We are in a very serious situation."

"I guess, it's our method to deal with it, sir. But we do our work, sir."

"I know, I know" he sighed exaspareted. " Jacob, is there something you can do for us?"

"I will go and check out that planet and your teams. Don't let them trough, unless I send you my signal through."

"Sir, there is a problem" Sam/Jack said.

"Colonel, I mean, Major."

"Nevermind, sir. I'm getting used to it. Dad has the same code as SG- 1, sir. What if we told them everything. We don't know for sure, what exactly happened on that god-…"

"Watch that language, Samantha Elizabeth Carter!" came the reprimand from her father.

"Yes , Dad" Sam/Jack nodded.

"I will go, before I'm gonna go here nuts!" Jacob said and waved to Lt. Simmons, signalling, that he should dial P5R-222.

"Wait here, Dad! We have to have your IDC changed, Dad" Sam was really enjoying to call him Dad in Jack's voice. Jacob couldn't tell the same from himself. She/he came back in three minutes and told the code to Jacob.

"Our IDC will be written over in a minute, sir. In case, we have to go off-world."

"Major, Colonel, I wanna say this only one time. You are not going anywhere! Am I understood? Good" he said after the nods. " Colonel, go and see after Dr Jackson. Major, you have to do in the control room. Where is Teal'c?"

"I'm here, sir."

"Good, stay with me, I will need someone sane around me. We are going to control the preparations."

"Yes, sir" Teal'c nodded.



*****



"She is sleeping now, sir"

"Good, I have never thought, you could hold her back for ten minutes, after she knew about the attack. Why I called you, I wanted to ask you, if the article is still there."

"Yes, sir."

"And it's still because the IDC?"

"Yes, sir."

"I don't understand!"

"Sir?"

"Thank you, Mr Hobson. I give you my mobile phone number, please tell me, if something should change."



*****



"Sir?"

"Still there, Teal'c. I don't know why, and how this could happen! Major Carter overwrote every single IDC. The Tok'ra IDC was changed again. And they are all here. All the teams, the three Tok'ra. I don't understand!"

"Incoming traveller, sir!" Lt .Simmons' voice came through the intercom. General Hammond and Teal'c hurried into the control room.

"There is no signal, sir."

"Iris will stay closed."

"Yes, sir!"

"What was that?" Sam/Jack asked, standing behind Lt.Simmons' chair.

"A big thump" Jack/Sam stated.

"A Sagan box" Sam/Jack ran to her lab and arrived back out of breath, with a Geiger-counter in his hands.

"Sir, would you mind to lend me a helping hand?"

"Coming" Jack/Sam nodded and followed her/him into the gate room. Sam/Jack looked up into the control room, and saw Teal'c standing there like a huge cliff. He didn't move and Sam was not sure, but she somehow knew, that he didn't even breathe.

"From Vyus, sir." Sam/Jack and Jack/Sam looked up and saw Teal'c sighing with relief. General Hammond patted his back and then went down to the gate room.

"Sir, we have to-…"

"Not you. Besides, Dr Jackson is still sleeping. And you are going nowhere, I thought, you understood me. Jacob?"

"Someone has to come with us to Vyus, they won't trust us, unless there is a familiar face."

"I will go, sir" Teal'c offered.

"Thank you, Teal'c. Get your weapon, please."

"That's not fair, sir!" Jack/Sam complained. " He can go and we don't, why?"

"Well, does the word body-changed tell you something, Colonel?"

"Sir-… We are still intact, we could go with them." General Hammond was about to give in, as he saw Jacob's face. He smiled at him reassuringly, and turned away from the two pleading faces.

"I don't want Jacob to go nuts!"

"We will behave ourselves, sir!"

"No, and that's my last word on this issue. Major, Colonel, to my office! Jacob, wait, till the M.A.L.P. is back from Vyus."



*****



"Colonel, Major, I don't wanna spoil your game, but I have to tell you, that at the moment, you two are enough to try the patience of a saint. I know how hard this must be for you, but this is getting annoying."

"Yes, sir" they lowered their head.

"I know, that this is only a strategy to survive this madness, but people, we have a problem here. And you are two of my best officers, behave yourself!"

"Yes, sir" they nodded in unison. " And we are sorry, sir."

"Well, don't be, that's not your fault. Dismissed. Go and see after Dr Jackson"

"Yes, sir" they stood up and wanted to leave, but there was a little hesitation in the door, about who is gonna go first.

"After you, Major" Jack decided to take the initiative. He looked back at Hammond with an apolgizing smile.

"Go out of my office, you belong to the kindergarten!" he smiled indulgently. He picked up the receiver, and dialled the Fraisers.

"Mr Hobson, here is General Hammond."

"Sorry, sir, still the same story. Except, that Teal'c was not among the victims."

"Good. Please, call me if anything should change."

"Yes, sir."



*****



"Major, we have to do something about this. It's getting annoying, as the general said before."

"I know, sir, but there is little we can do. Nobody can leave the base."

"What do you want to do?"

"You remeber Ma'chello, sir?"

"How could I forget? Teal'c was so impertinent, he wanted to shave my hair. You think, we could do the change?"

"Perhaps."

"That was not a yes."

"Sir, we don't know about the procedure used to do this to us. I don't know, if Ma'chello's machine could reverse it."

"While there is life, there is hope."

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

"You are tired, Sam. Pessimism doesn't suit you."

"I'm fresh as a daisy, sir, I'm only realistic."

"Okay, I will try to convince the General to have it be brought here."

"Should I come with you?"

"I think, he doesn't want to see us together" he said and stepped out of the infirmary. " Oh, and Major you owe me something for letting your Dad kiss me."

"I'll think about it, sir" Sam said grinning. She went to Daniel's bed. Janet was checking out the supplies. Sam/Jack bent down to feel his forehead, as Daniel woke up.

"Holy Hannah, Janet! You have said, he would sleep the next twelve hours!"

"Hi, Jack" he greeted her weakly. " You won't believe, what I dreamt. It was a really weird dream, you know. You were in Sam, and she was in you. Boy, this was a scary dream!-….Waitaminute! You have just said `Holy Hannah' and Janet? Where am I, in the land of the nightmares? I slide from one into another!"

"It's me, Daniel, you didn't dream, it happened to us on that planet."

"Where is Jack?"

"With the general, tryin' to convince him to have Ma'chello's machine transport here." Daniel pulled the infusion out of his arm, and tried to stand up.

"Daniel!" Sam held him back.

"Dr Jackson? What are you doing?"

"I'm okay, Dr Fraiser!"

"No, you don't! Lay back, or I have to really hurt you."

"You couldn't."

"I have really very big needles, Dr Jackson, and believe me, if you won't lay back at once, I'll sqeeze one of it into you." "You won't do that."

"Well, try me" Janet grinned evilly.

"Sam, save me, Dr Fraiser has gone crazy."

"Daniel, you have poison in your blood. You cannot leave the infirmary."

"Sure, I can, and I will. Dr Fraiser, check out my blood again! And we will see, who is right, and who is not."

"Alright, Dr Jackson" Janet gave in.



*****



"What was that?"

"I really hate to repeat myself, sir, but it was a big thump."

"Tell me, it is not another Sagan box."

"It is not another Sagan box, sir."

"Come with me!"

"Yes, sir" Jack nodded. Sam/Jack was already there, holding the Geiger-counter in his hand.

"From the Land of Light, sir."

"Major, Colonel get ready."

"Hoorray! Although I'm really hurt."

"Well, you can stay here, and irritate the hell out of us, or-…"

"We'll make this errand for you, sir" Jack/Sam nodded.

"And I'm going with you" came Daniel's voice from the door.

"Daniel?" Jack/Sam asked him. " I thought, Dr Fraiser said, that he would sleep in the next twelve hours."

"Daniel?"

"She gave me a clean bill of health."

"General?" Sam/Jack then turned to General Hammond.

"At least, there will be someone-…"

"Sane around us" they ended his sentence in unison.

"P3X-797, Lt. Simmons! Send the M.A.L.P through."



*****



"Teal'c! Come here, please!" Jacob waved him closer.

"What's wrong, General Carter?"

"There is trace of a woman here. But it disappears here, again" he pointed down the ground.

"She went underground" Teal'c said, after exactly examining the trace, Jacob showed him.

"And how?" Teal'c stamped his feet twice, and bent down to pull up a door. An aisle appeared, and Teal'c descended.

"Wait for us, Teal'c!"

"Here is the woman, General Carter."

"You know her?"

"Yes, her name is Ke'ra" Teal'c nodded and knelt down beside her. She opened her eyes, and looked into his eyes.

"Teal'c," she whispered softly " Thank you for coming."

"Ke'ra, this is Major Carter's father."

"I have no time to lose, Teal'c. There is a little girl in the next room. Please, save her!"

"Where are her parents?"

"Dead. Someone came through the gate and killed everybody. I was in my lab, it's here, under the ground."

"And she?"

"I went up, and found her. She was lying in her mothers arms." As I was heading to the Gate, to send you the box, I was hit. Fortunately I have built this entry a month ago. He didn't see me."

" Ke'ra?" Teal'c leaned close, because her voice fainted.

"-…name is Sam-… Samantha" with this she closed her eyes.

"Teal'c?"

"She is dead. Wait here! I'll get the baby."



*****



"It's Gary Hobson, sir."

"Mr Hobson, I hope you have good news for me."

"Sorry, sir. But SG-1 won't be executed on Earth. And it will be their IDC."

"Oh, no! Thank you, Mr Hobson."



*****



"Where is Rya'c?" Janet asked, as she took a look around in the twilight.

"He must be around, he was on the M.A.L.P. pictures" Daniel looked around.

"Where is my father?"

"Don't do this again!" Sam/Jack turned on his heels, and gazed at him.

"Sorry, Colonel O'Neill"

"Nevermind" Jack/Sam said. "Where is your mom?"

"In our house. Where is my father?"

"He is on a planet to help the people there."

"I see."

"He will come after us, Rya'c" Janet reassured him. Rya'c's face was radiating. He was proud of his father, which he couldn't be with the feeling of left alone. They were only a half mile or so away from the Stargate, as the ring was turning again. Four bodies emerged from the event horizon. Teal'c came first and Jacob was the last, between them the two Tok'ra.

"Father!" Rya'c ran to him.

"Be careful, son" Teal'c stopped him, and after handing him his staff weapon, he put his arm around his shoulder, he was holding the baby in the other arm.

"Who is this baby?" Daniel was sent back to Teal'c. Janet, Sam and Jack continued their way to Drey'auc.

"Where are they going to?"

"Mother is sick. Duplo sent someone, but he couldn't help. I sent the box through."

"General Hammond let you go?" Jacob asked Daniel.

"They were driving everybody crazy, so he let them go."

"I see."

"Daniel Jackson, I have bad news. The whole population of Vyus has been estinguished."

"What about Ke'ra?"

"She died, after she gave this baby to us."

"Her baby?"

"No" Teal'c shook his head. " Her name is Samantha."

"What?"

"Ke'ra told us the name. I brought you her diary with me. Take a look in, and you will see."

"Wow, what's this?" Daniel asked, after they left the forest, and reached the bright side of the planet

"Looks like a family bible to me" Jacob said, handing him back the little book.

"You are right" Daniel nodded. " Wow, Ke'ra must have found a way to help them get babies. There were five babies by now. And all named after us and the general. A little girl was even named after you, Teal'c."

"I guess, Nodaal remembered, that my name means `strength'. It was his little girl."

"Yes, I can see. There is our little Samantha. They have many things common, as I can see."

"What?" Jacob asked.

"The eyes, the hair and the smile, Jacob."

"You are, of course, right. I just wanted to know, if somebody else sees the similarity, too."

"Good to see you, Teal'c" Jack/Sam greeted him with a smile.

"You are still O'Neill?"

"Yes. When we are back, Ma'chello's little toy would be arrived, too. General Hammond promised me. And I strongly hope, it will work." Drey'auc's house was on the edge of the town. Duplo wanted her in the town, but she disagreed. She said, she would be closer to the Stargate, and that way closer to Teal'c. Janet was already in the house, Jack/Sam wanted to follow her in, and Sam/Jack was heading to see the baby. Rya'c stood between Teal'c and Jacob. Daniel was about to turn to Sam/Jack, but suddenly he seemed to have changed his mind, because he jumped on one of the Tok'ra.

"SAAAM!" Jack/Sam cried at the top of her lung, and bent down to pull out his knife of her boots. But Sam/Jack has already done the same, and the knife was flying towards the Tok'ra and Daniel. It stood still in the hand of the Tok'ra, revealing a -broken- goa'uld hand device. Daniel was lying on top of him, pressing his arm to his throat.

"You are gonna die for this! My name is Heru'ur, and I'm your god!"

"Well, I never! It's him personally, and he didn't even give us a hint! You are a very nasty boy, Heru'ur" Jack/Sam came closer. Teal'c handed Sam/Jack the baby and asked back his staff weapon from Rya'c. He aimed at the System Lord, while Jack/Sam was going still closer.

"I'm gonna destroy your world, and enslave all your people!"

"Well, don't hold your breath! You have a snowball's chance in hell to do that" Jack/Sam said. Daniel looked up and grinned at him, Teal'c was frowning and Jacob was laughing.

"Are you alright, Daniel?"

"Thanks, I'm fine."

"How did you know?"

"His eyes, they were so sneaky. And as he looked after you, Jack, I mean, Sam, his eyes were glowing. And I have asked myself, why wanna take the Tok'ra over his host, as he is looking after you, and then he began to raise his hand."

"Well a guilty conscience needs no accuser" Selmak said, Jacob was grinning.

"Yeah, only glowing eyes" Jack/Sam grinned back. " When have you changed the body?" he asked him.

"He was a spy among us. I have found out, and went to the Tok'ra."

"Jacob, you really have to take better care of separating the sheeps from the goats."

"We will, O'Neill, thank you for your advice" Selmak answered.

"You are welcome, Selmak."

"And what have you done with the symbiote?"

"He was weak, I gave him a new host, and then tortured him. He thought, he was speaking to you, Selmak. I let him go, and followed him to the Stargate, I let him dialling, and then killed him. His body is young, I like it."

"Well, variety is the spice of life, isn't it? But I guess, you are familiar with the term of the day of reckoning, if not, Teal'c or Daniel surely will explain you with pleasure. And since Apophis is not showing himself, and the others are dead, you are the public enemy number one. I know, you know, what this means. Sam, come with me! Teal'c, you too. Jacob, please, take the staff weapon, and don't lose sight of him!"



*****



"Here is Gary Hobson, again, sir."

"And?"

"The article has disappeared."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely sure, sir" Gary nodded.

"Thank you, Mr Hobson. We are very thankful. Could you stay with Cassie? SG-1 and her mom are still off-world-…"

"Of course, sir. But I think, I won't be able to keep her away from there."

"If nothing happens in the next hour, I will send Lt.Simmons for her."

"Thank you, sir."



*****

Cassie was back at base with Gary, who was allowed to stay and wait for SG-1. They were back soon, and brought Rya'c and Drey'auc with. Drey'auc needed medical treatment, so Janet decided to bring her to Earth. Jacob and Teal'c was holding Heru'ur by the arms. He was not quite pleased with his status as a prisoner. General Hammond sent him to Isolation Room 27, and guards were posted in front of his door, and all around on the isolation level. Sam was in the control room, changing the IDCs again. She felt dizzy from all the little numbers flickering on the monitor of the central computer. After she had done, she said farewell to Jacob, who was going back to report, what exactly happened.

"Major, Ma'chello's machine is here. If you want, we can make a try" General Hammond turned to her/him, after the gate was closed behind Jacob and the other Tok'ra.

"Yes, sir" Sam/Jack nodded, and followed him into her lab. Jack and Daniel were already there. Teal'c and Janet were with Drey'auc, Cassie was playing with Rya'c. Sam sighed aloud at the sight of the device.

"Sir, I think, we can do this now."

"I'm ready, Major" Jack/Sam nodded, and then reached out for the handle. Sam/Jack did the same. The device made the usual uploading noise, and then silenced. Sam/Jack was looking down at the device, hiding the upwelling tears in Jack's eyes. Jack/Sam first gazed at her/him for a second, then turned to the others and shook her head.

"It didn't work." Jack/Sam ran out of the lab, she was running, not even knowing where to. She caught the elevator, and pushed 23. After she arrived, she was looking around. She didn't know, why she was there. Janet stepped out of the examination room, and Sam ran into her arms. She hid his head into Janet's nape, and let her tears falling. Janet was so embarassed holding Jack in her arms, but finally realized, that it's still Sam, and she tried to reassure her, by whispering soothing words into his ear.

"Sorry, Janet" Sam/Jack said, wiping off the tears with the sleeve of his BDU. " I know, it was weird, but I'm so disappointed. He is so disappointed."

"Jack?"

"Yes."

"And this bothers you more than anything else?"

"Yes" she admitted. " I hoped so much, that this could work. And he trusted me."

"I still trust you" came the voice behind them.

"Jack?"

"It's me. Come with me, I have to talk to you. It's important" he/she reached out her hand, and Sam/Jack took it.

"Where are we going to?"

"To my office" came the laconic answer. " Oh, Janet, before I forget, for cryin'out loud!" Janet smiled after them, for uninitiatated eyes, they looked -– say the less - strange. A Major was hauling a Colonel after her. She shook her head, and then went to see after Cassie and Rya'c.

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm as much disappointed, as you."

"Major, it was not your fault."

"But, sir. By now, I had to figured out something."

"Sam-… Are you aware of the fact, that we have just had a narrow escape getting killed. And I don't know, what's with you, but I'm very confused of this. I had not a single normal thought in my head. And you are awaiting from yourself to come up with a solution in this mess? You are not even in your own brain!"

"Sir-…"

"We are here" he/she invited her/him in, and then locked the door. Sam/Jack looked at him with eyes wide open from astonishment.

"I think, however, that we let out a possible solution."

"Sir?" Jack/Sam stood on her tiptoes and lifted up her hands to caress his face. Finally he kissed her. The kiss became more passionately, after Sam decided to participate. She placed her hands around Jack's neck, and opened her mouth to let him in. She thought, she was never so happy in her entire life. She thought about how much she loves this man, who is actually standing here, holding her in his strong, warm embrace. She thought herself for the luckiest woman on Earth. Jack thought, that how much he really loves this woman, who is so fiercely kissing him back, waking in him the longing for more. He remembered the other kiss, he gave her in the gate room. This was tenfold better, than that. Because this time Sam will remember the kiss. Jack gently took her lower lip between his teeth, and withdrew a half step.

"Sam?" Jack asked her.

"Jack?" she asked back.

"I don't regret this kiss."

"Me neither" Sam shook her head. " But what now?"

"Having an affair is not quite, that I call honorable."

"So we deny this furthermore?" she couldn't hide her disappointment. She was missing the feeling, she had a minute ago. The warmth, the safety and to be loved by him, as she loved him.

"No" Jack shook his head resolutely. " I will talk to the general, and ask his advice. Maybe, he could do something for us."

"Like a court-martial?"

"You know, that he would do nothing like that. And I guess, we were enjoying our little game before, way to much. He already has to know."

"But first we have to tell everyone, that we are back."

"Wanna fool Daniel a bit?" Jack said to lighten their moods. He could tell, that Sam wanted this relationship as much, as he, but he saw her uncertainty in the eyes. She didn't really believe in a happy future with him. Well, he decided to fight for this future, and knew, when Sam sees, that he is not giving up, she will join him. He loved her, more than he thought, he would be able after his losses, but he loved her so much, that this love was worth fighting for. He took her hand, and gave her an encouraging kiss. She looked up in his eyes, and she saw sheer love. She decided for fighting for their love. Come what may, she will always has his love. As they have reached the infirmary, Jack looked in her eyes, to see, if she would be ready to face other people. He saw love, friendship, trust and willpower in those eyes, blue, as the summer sky.

"We will fight for it, Sam" Jack nodded.

"Yes, we will fight for it, Jack."



THE END



End Notes: -© Captain Joanna O'NEILL SG-6 -– Search/Rescue