samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: angel_812000@yahoo.com

Archive: SJA, Helio, anyone else?

Spoilers/Season: none. Pre-Meridian, but then again, isn't everything I write?

Author's notes: we wanted to see them in a tux/evening dress. Lin said to write it. So here it is. I do have essays to do, so please give feedback, and make me feel justified in putting them off. This is unbeta-ed. Something just thrown off the top of me head, and posted. Hope it's OK!


The four members of SG-1 looked at the pieces of gold pressed card as if they were about to explode. There was nothing in their training that had prepared them for this.

"A wedding invite?" Jack asked.

"Siler's getting married?" Daniel added.

"At least someone's got a life outside of this place," Sam sighed.

"What is evening dress?" Teal'c asked.

"Not military," Daniel explained.

"Which means I have to go and rent a tux," Jack said. He wasn't happy. He looked good in his uniform. He hated suits. "I look like a penguin."

"A nice penguin, though," Sam said with a smile.

"What's wrong with the military uniform?" Jack asked Siler as he walked past.

"Claire doesn't want anyone taking attention from her," was the reply. "She won't let me wear mine. Says blue clashes with her dress."

"Not wearing white then?" Jack asked.

Siler didn't reply, but carried on walking.

*****

"I do not understand DanielJackson," Teal'c said. "Why would someone create a garment that was uncomfortable to wear?"

"Tradition," Jack muttered, fiddling with his cummerbund.

"You do look like a penguin," Daniel said, stifling a laugh.

"Don't make me want to leave you behind, Space Monkey," Jack threatened. "That planet we're off to tomorrow, lots of sand."

"Har har," Daniel droned, doing up his tie like he'd been doing that kind of thing all his life.

"At least there's no trees," Jack reflected, giving up on his tie. "I bet the girls aren't having this much trouble."

*****

"Janet!" Sam all but screamed from the top of the stairs.

"What?"

"Have you got another pair of tights?"

"Another? That's three you've gone through!" Janet called.

"I don't normally wear them!" Sam sighed, and sat on the top stair. "Why can't I just wear trouser suit?"

"Evening dress only," Janet replied.

"You look nice," Cassie said.

"So do you." Sam motioned for her to come and sit beside her. "I bet the guys aren't having this much trouble."

*****

"Bride or groom?" the usher asked as Jack, Daniel and Teal'c walked into the room.

"Groom," Jack replied.

They were shown to the chairs on the right hand side of the hotel ballroom. The whole place was done out in silk ribbons, seasonal flowers, and silver and white balloons.

"Nice," Daniel whistled. "My wedding wasn't like this."

"Mine was," Jack said. "Sara insisted."

"My union was a simple affair," Teal'c added.

"I don't see Carter or Janet anywhere," Jack said, scanning the room.

"I do," Daniel said, nodding towards the door.

The three men turned to face them, and their expression said it all.

"Major Carter is wearing a dress," Teal'c observed.

"You can say that again," Jack breathed.

"Major Carter is wearing a dress," Teal'c repeated, unsure why O'Neill had asked him to do so.

"And Janet..." Daniel started, unable to finish.

Sam, Janet and Cassie made their way over to the guys, relishing the fact that neither Jack nor Daniel could keep their jaws off the ground.

"Hi," Jack said, finally finding his voice.

"Hi," Sam said. "Now, what's the appropriate term? Should I call you 'Sir', or 'Penguin'?" she laughed.

"Jack would do, if you think you can manage it."

"I think I can, Jack," she said.

*****

After the ceremony, the meal was served, followed by champagne. When the guests were suitably drunk, the band struck up, and the bride and groom took to the floor for the First Dance.

"It's a tradition," Jack heard Daniel explain. "It represents... Actually, I'm not sure what it
represents."

"We have a similar tradition on Chulak," Teal'c said. "The couple express their love for each other by..."

"That comes later," Jack said quickly, pre-empting Teal'c's train of thought.

Soon, other couples joined them on the dance floor. Jack looked from them to Sam, and an idea struck.

"Want to dance?" he asked.

"I'm sorry?" Sam said, shocked.

"Dance. Earth custom. Usually, it's two people moving in time to the music."

"Well, in that case, how can I refuse?"

Jack smiled, and took her hand, leading her out to the middle where they could get lost in the people.

"Looks like a good idea," Janet said. "How about it?"

"You're asking me to dance?" Daniel replied. "I thought I was supposed to ask you."

"I'm an impatient person," Janet replied.

Daniel didn't respond. He just nodded. Better to say yes, than offend her. She would be the one with the needles when they came back tomorrow.

*****

"This is nice," Sam whispered. She rested her head on Jack's shoulder, looking across his chest to where Daniel and Janet were dancing equally close.

"Mmmm," Jack agreed. "Still don't like this penguin suit."

"I think you look great in it."

"I think you look great in that," Jack said.

When he'd first seen her in the midnight blue dress, slightly off the shoulder, and figure hugging all the way down, he had to remind himself to start breathing again.

"Dresses aren't my thing," she said.

"Don't correct your commanding officer," he said.

"That's another thing," Sam said suddenly.

"What?" Jack asked, confused.

"Look, not a military suit in sight. You could almost forget..."

She trailed off as she met Jack's eyes. You could almost forget. But they couldn't. If they forgot, then things would...

"Excuse me," Jack said.

"Of course," Sam said. She knew if he stayed, then something would happen.

*****

"Sometimes I despair of those two," Janet said.

"Why?" Daniel asked.

"If it weren't for that rule..."

"I know," Daniel said. "That's why I think I'm the lucky one."

"How?"

"I'm not military. No frat rule for me."

Janet caught his eye, and smiled.

"Lucky you," she said as he kissed her gently.

*****

Jack kicked his heels outside. Sitting on the edge of the fountain, he had a perfect view through the windows of the wedding party. He saw Daniel and Janet, Siler and Claire. Lots of happy couples.

Unfair.

"Jack?" Sam called to him.

"Go back inside."

"No," she said firmly. "I'd rather be here, with you."

"Carter..."

He knew that by calling her that, it would put some distance between them. But Sam didn't pay any attention to that, and sat beside him anyway.

"Nice night," she said. "Great food, drink... company," she added, looking at him.

"Sam..." he started before she silenced him with a soft kiss.

"I know we can't," she said, "but we can still dream."

"You have no idea how much of that I do," he said before he could stop himself.

"Probably about the same amount that I do."

"Look," Jack laughed, and pointed through the windows. Cassie was trying to teach Teal'c how to waltz, and was getting her feet trampled on.

"See, tonight isn't about who we are, it's about who we want to be. Husband, wife, lover, friend, something else."

"Maybe," Jack sighed, and put an arm around Sam.

"I know," she said in answer to his unspoken desire.

Maybe... maybe one day, that would be them.

=====