samandjack.net



It was a nice night.

The air was cool and crisp, making his breath visible as Jack O'Neill strode towards the small bar. The stars were out too, and he couldn't help but smile as he pinpointed Orion in the sky. He'd always liked Orion. It was one of his favourites.

The Barnard bar was a small place way out on the edge of town. It was fairly popular and slightly trendy, but not too much of either. The perfect place, he thought with a smile. As he walked across the car park, he straightened his tie and smoothed his lapels. He didn't like suits. Up until recently, he only had two. One, the mandatory black suit, for formal occasions such as funerals. Let's not even think about that subject, I'm here to have fun, thought Jack. The other, his dress blues, and not really suitable for wearing in public. So he made a trip to a tailor, and bought himself this dark, modern suit, with vicar collar and thin lapels. He had to admit that he looked good in it. Looked sharp. He actually could pass as a relaxing businessman. Which suited his purpose perfectly. He'd had his hair cut too. He'd had enough of being told by various parties that his greying hair did not lend itself to the longer style he'd been sporting recently. Carter had suggested he cut it short, like he used to have it, and just about every other female he'd questioned had agreed. So he did. And damn it, they were right. It really lent itself to the overall image he was trying to achieve tonight, making him look almost distinguished. He smiled again. Well, whatever lucky woman he chatted up this fine evening was in for a surprise.

Another smile, this time reaching his deep brown eyes, the skin crinkling in a fetching fashion at the edges.

He was meant to be at a poker game tonight. But he'd vetoed it. He really wasn't in the mood for staying in and vegging with his buddies. So he'd had a quick drink with Daniel, Sam and Teal'c, then made his excuses and left. Sam had given him a funny look on the way out, most likely because he had grilled Janet and her on what women first found attractive about a man. She'd been a bit taken aback, but had gladly told him all the same. He'd followed some of her ideas, and added a few things of his own. God I hope I got this right, he thought, as he took a deep breath and trotted up the steps and into the dim warmth of the interior.

The inside of the Barnard bar was at contrast with its stark façade. Uniform slate grey walls gave way to plush velvets and a hint of chrome as Jack sauntered up to the bar, and picked a central stool. It was still early, the bar was relatively quiet. But he'd wanted a premium seat, somewhere near the wall where he could observe the booths and dancefloor without having to turn around. The barman approached, cleaning a glass, and asked what Jack wanted to drink.

"JD and coke please"

That done, he stood for a moment, and wandered the two steps to the jukebox to check out the music choice. Perfect. Just right. Bunch of upbeat modern stuff, whole slew of classics, and a nice little choice of slow numbers. Just what I need. Any night in one of these places would start with the first and move through the rest. Hopefully by the time the last set started, he'd have someone to dance with. He sauntered back to the bar then, and with a sigh settled there, paid the barman, and took a sip of his drink. A few more of these would get him in the mood. Just in time for the evening rush. He hoped the crowd would not be too young. Not that he minded looking at beautiful young things, but he did think they were a little out of his league. No, he was looking for something a little older than a twenty year old. Not too much older mind. He smiled at that, and took another drink.

"You in town on business?"

Jack looked up at the barman and smiled, giving his tired neck a rub. He was pleased that his image had worked. Did he really look like he could be some sort of executive? Maybe Daniel had the right idea with all this suit stuff. Mind you, it'd take a lot more than the potential of an interesting night to get Danny boy to wear a tie.

"Yeah... looking for a little relaxation"

"Well, you came to the right place. We get a lot of businessmen in here. Apparently lots of them go home with smiles on their faces... if you know what I mean"

The barman gave Jack a little wink, and Jack raised his eyebrows in return.

"That so? Seems like my kinda place then"

"You want me to keep 'em coming?" asked the barman, indicating Jack's empty glass. Jack thought for a second, then nodded to the barman and handed over a twenty note.

"Yeah... yeah you do that"

Another drink came his way, and Jack swivelled on his stool to observe the bar. Still quiet, only two of the booths were occupied. A whispering couple sat in one, leaning close, hands entwined. By the looks of it, they wouldn't be staying for long. The next booth over seated four young men, dressed up nice, obviously on the hunt for the night. Jack shook his head. He couldn't remember being that young. It had been so long since he had stalked the night places with a hunger in his eyes. The door creaked open then, and in stalked a giggling troop of young women. There were four of them, dressed in short skirts and even shorter tops, and they seated themselves at a table across the room, instantly noticed by the boys in booth one. And so the play begins.

An hour later, and the bar was starting to fill up nicely. Thankfully, thought Jack, there was a fairly good spread of ages. Yes, there were even some people in here as old as him. He looked up as three more women entered, and gazed appreciatively at them as they walked by. This bar was certainly the place to come. He'd have to come here more often. The barman leaned over and smiled in the direction of Jack's stare.

"Like I say... nice place. Not cheap though, we run a decent place here"

"Hey, I'm no troublemaker"

"Nah, didn't peg you as one. We get some weirdoes in here though, trying their luck with all the woman. Crazy guys. Woo... now speaking about woman... she has class. Not fake class, not just a fancy dress and tonsa make up. She has real class"

Jack turned in his seat and followed the barman's finger. He didn't really need to, she stood out in the soft lights in the seated area beyond the dancefloor. He just sat there a minute, and drank her in. She was sitting with some other women, and the three of them were receiving the attentions of a small group of admirers. He could hardly blame them, they were certainly worth the effort. But the barman was right, one of them did stand out. She was beautiful, and enchanting, and something about her just drew Jack's attention. She was dressed in a long, simple black dress, that was cut up the sides, allowing her smooth, long legs and daintily sandled feet to show from beneath. The top of the dress followed a simple, curving line, showing a hint of a cleavage, and thin, twin straps snaked over each pale, perfect shoulder. As she laughed, her sparkling blue eyes and short, bobbing sandy hair made him think of someone else, but that thought quickly vanished as she accepted a dance offer from one of the men, and followed him onto the floor, and briefly out of Jack's field of view behind one of the large, ornate pillars.

"Like what you see?" The barman asked with a smile, sliding another drink Jack's way.

"What's not to like" Jack replied, taking a sip and sending the barman an answering grin of his own.

"Maybe you should ask for the next dance"

"Maybe I will" replied Jack, but for the moment, he was content to sit, and observe. Besides, why would a beauty like that ever want to dance with him? He was pondering this very question when she slid back into view, moving in a very sensual manner on the dancefloor. The man she was dancing with looked very appreciative, almost too appreciative thought Jack, but she, she was absorbed in the music, and was lost in its gentle, rocking sway. Jack smiled, and let his eyes ever so slowly travel the length of her lithe body, taking in the gentle feminine shape, and the graceful curve of her neck as she closed her eyes and moved with an instinctual, internal rhythm.

Jack spent the best part of the next half hour watching her, as she had dance after dance, with queues of adoring men hoping to maybe, get lucky. She seemed oblivious to them all, content though she was to dance, her partners seemed of little importance. This was not a woman out on the prowl. She was out with friends, and hoping simply, to have a good time. All those men of course would like nothing better than to show her a good time. Jack smiled at her back across the room. Maybe there was one man here tonight, one man who could make her notice, who could make her smile. He sighed then, and pushed another empty glass towards the rear of the bar. The problem was, every man here tonight would like to believe they were it.

The music was slowly starting to work down a gear, and the "classics" part of the evening was now in full swing. And still the dancing continued. The men now courageous enough to hold their partners lightly, edging closer, waiting for the slower songs to start. Jack had even had a few dances himself, surprised onto the dancefloor twice, first by a striking young woman with long, dark hair who accused him of sulking (which of course he wasn't) and next by an even younger thing, dressed in very little, and Jack had begun to enjoy himself immensely. This had definitely been a good idea. It had been such a long time since he had felt so expectant, so much a part of the normal human mix, that subtle exchange of hints, hidden language, and invitations. He got up then, and threading through the crowd, he made his way to the toilets.

On his way back, he searched the dwindling couples on the dance floor for the now familiar form of the blonde beauty, but she was nowhere to be seen. Her friends still sat in the corner, and one even looked his way and smiled as he passed, so at least they hadn't left. He returned to his seat, picked up his glass and drained the dregs. He was just about to wander the crowd when something brushed his arm, and someone slid onto the next stool, placing a mostly empty glass on the bar in front of them. He turned slightly on his seat and drew in a breath when he saw her next to him. She looked happy and maybe just a little tired. Obviously worn out from all that dancing. She shook her hair back from her head, and it bounced gently before settling into place as she straightened to lean on the bar rail, legs crossed, the topmost one escaping the confines of her dress, the foot coming to rest by the leg of Jack's chair. She took a long sip from her drink, and placed the empty glass back down. The barman came over then, and replaced Jack's empty glass with a fresh, full one.

"And whatever the Lady's drinking" Jack said as his drink was placed before him. The barman raised his eyebrows at her, and she accepted with a brief nod of her head, before turning to face Jack with a smile.

"Thank you" She said, and her soft voice washed over him, and he was finally able to see her beautiful, sparkling eyes up close.

"If a man can't buy a beautiful woman a drink, then there is something wrong with this world of ours"

"Oh I agree" she said, and her warm smile elicited one from Jack in return. This evening was going better than he could ever have imagined. He leaned on one elbow, giving her his full attention, and she did the same, holding her glass in her other hand, and gently swirling the liquid within.

"You look like a woman out to have fun" Jack raised one eyebrow, indicating his playfulness, and hoped she would accept his offer of a verbal contest.

"And you look like a man looking for a woman who's out to have fun"

They laugh at this, and Jack finds himself adoring the gorgeous little dimples that appear on her cheeks when she smiles. God she is really beautiful. He lets his eyes slide slowly down her body, and when he looks back up at hers, he finds she is doing much the same. She moves the glass to her mouth and takes a sip, licking the excess moisture from her full, red lips before replacing her drink on the bar. He leans in a little closer to tell her something, but stops as he notices the subtle change in the music. The classic period is over, and a slow, sensual love song has begun, couples starting to sway slowly in each others arms.

"Would you like to dance?"

She looks away for a second, and when she looks back, her eyes are dark, and her smile as playful as his as she lets her eyes take in his suited form for another, brief moment.

"I'd love to"

Rising, he takes her hand then, and leads her to the rear of the dance floor, where there are less lights and the atmosphere is more... private. As they leave the bar Jack smiles at the barman who gives him a quick thumbs up. The place is quieter now, most of the younger groups have moved on to clubs and other pubs, and though there is enough of a crowd, they easily make their way to the rear wall, and stand for a moment, looking at each other. The song is now in full swing, with soft, throaty vocals, and a teasing, pulsing beat. He holds out his hand to her with a smile, but she ignores it and presses herself close to him, one hand settling curled around the nape of his neck, fingertips in his newly cut hair, the other low around his waist. He copies by example, snaking his arms around her, one mid-back, another resting between her shoulders, pressing her close, as her head comes to rest softly against his shoulder.

The music creeps on, and they sway gently to the beat, bodies close, her breath on his neck, the enticing smell of her perfume winding around them both. She trails her fingers up and down the back of his neck, enjoying the feel of newly short hair, and he lets one hand creep down to softly come to rest against the gentle curve of the small of her back. He smiles, and softly breaks the comfortable silence.

"May I tell you you smell wonderful?"

"Thank you, you may indeed. It's called Mateusse'... you like it?"

"Mmm, very much"

She leans in closer to his neck and lets herself take a deep breath of his scent. It's a mix of his own, unique, male scent and a deep, musky aftershave.

"You don't smell too bad yourself Mr. Businessman"

"Is that so? Well if I'm Mr. Businessman, what does that make you?"

She pulls back from him then, and delivers a wicked smile, eyebrows raised in an unspoken question, trailing a finger down his shirt front, sending a shiver up his spine.

"Well... that remains to be seen... "

The music has reached a crescendo of urgent bass and quivering melody, and in the glow of swirling coloured lights, Jack leans forward and gently claims her unresisting lips with her own. The kiss is slow, and long, making promises for the night ahead. After what seems like an eternity, they pull apart, and desire is written plainly in the depths of their eyes. She smiles at him, and slips her hands inside his jacket, her touch that one step closer to his flesh, as her arms come around him, pulling him close once more, making him shudder. He replies in kind, sliding one hand down over her behind, gently caressing her through the soft satin of her dress. She angles her face upwards then, and claims his lips in another, deeper, more sensual kiss.

The song changes, as does their kiss, becoming that little bit more urgent, and they pull apart to look at one another once more. She smiles up at him, reaching up with one hand to trace the contours of his face, and lips. He kisses her fingertips, one by one, as his own hands sweep over her back and shoulders as they stand largely unnoticed, in the soft, dark light in the corner.

"So Mr businessman, I trust you have a hotel room for the night?"

"I do indeed... but I find spending the night in a strange town can be very lonely"

"Is that a fact?"

"Yes... it can be very... lonely"

With that, he kisses her once more, shortly and sweetly, and when they part, she takes a single step back.

"Well... I wouldn't want you to be lonely here in my city"

The barman deals with his current customer, and looks up when he spots his buddy heading over for his jacket, with the lovely lady tucked against his side. Jack smiles at him, and hands him a generous tip, with a murmured thanks. The barman smiles at Jack and thanks him, jerking one eyebrow up at his partner. She moves towards the door and drags Jack with her by his lapels. He goes with a grin, and the last thing the barman hears of him is his urgent call for a taxi. "Sheesh", thinks Fred Chaney, barman at Barnard's Bar, as he reaches up for some fresh glasses. Some guys... some guys have all the luck. And that guy? That guy has much, much more than his fair share.



**************************************



The night was drawing to an end, and last orders had just been called. Well... at least some people had managed to have a good evening eh?

Janet Frasier sat in the far corner of Barnard's bar with her friend, and looked thoughtfully at her drink. Jack O'Neill had certainly seemed to have a good evening, chatting up, dancing with, and, by the looks of it, going home with a beautiful woman. Funny... she really didn't think this was his kind of place. Maybe that was the whole idea, she reminded herself. A trendy bar, a sharp suit, a whole different class of women.

Huh.

He had looked good though, she had to admit it. She's never thought about how he might look in a civilian suit, and boy did he look fantastic. The haircut certainly helped, and she hadn't expected that. Oh well... time to go home. She stood then, gathering her things, and her old friend Rachel rose with her. They'd had a good enough time mind you, dancing with seven different guys couldn't be bad could it?

They walked outside into the cool night air, and grinned at each other.

"So" asked Rachel. "You think she's enjoying herself right now?"

Janet laughed and nodded her head as they walked over to her car.

"Oh I'm sure she is, but the next time Sam and Jack want to act out their fantasy of pretending to be strangers, I'm going to make sure I bring a date"

The two women laughed together as they got into the car to begin the long drive home.



*******************************
THE END
*******************************