samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Window of Opportunity, Forever In A Day, Season 1 and Stargate-The Movie

Archive: SJA/Heliopolis

Author’s Note: Feedback please. I read a spoiler for the upcoming episodes of Season 4. In one of them General Hammond would probably leave the SGC, that made me think about him. I always liked him, especially in Solitudes, 1969 and Into The Fire. So this one is dedicated to General Hammond and to Don S. Davis, who makes him so believeable.

Content Warning: Character Death


STARTING OVER




PROLOGUE




The fight was going on for ten hours. Lt.Colonel O’Connor, Captain Johnston and Lt. Morris were dead. SG-3 and SG-6 accompanied SG-1 to this mission, and now the leaders of both teams were lying dead on the battlefield. Sam knelt down to Lt. Morris to check her pulse, but she had none. She was dead, too. That was the moment, when Sam was hit by an energy blast from a staff weapon. She was looking at the wound on her shoulder in shock and in the next moment she fainted. " Sam!" Jack cried at the top of his lung, as he saw her lying on the ground. Teal’c and Daniel were covering him, while he ran to her. Jack checked her pulse, it was there, but it was very weak. " Teal’c, we have to go home. She is badly injured."

" We cannot, O’Neill. They have already encircled us. We will all die here."

" NOOO!!" Jack cried and took his zat gun and his MP5. " I do not let her die on this goddamn planet! Help me!" he said and went in the direction of the enemy. He was hit on his arm, but he just went on, not caring about his injury. Teal’c ran after him and hauling Jack after him, he brought him back. " You’d better say good-bye to her, O’Neill. We will soon die and you have something to confess her."

" Jack?" came a muffled voice from where Sam was lying. " Sam?" Jack crawled to her. " I feel myself so weak. What happened?"

" You were hit by a staff weapon. On your shoulder. No, please not move!"

" Am I going to die, Jack?"

" No! You cannot! Sam, everything will be okay, just please, hold on! I’ll bring you home somehow, just please, hold on! Sam, you cannot leave me alone! " Jack, why are you calling me Sam?"

" I … Do you remember, when Teal’c and me were captured in time and has to live through the same ten hours a few hundred times?"

" Yes."

" I kissed you. Before the last loop, I gave Hammond my application for early retirement and I kissed you in the gate room."

" Really?"

" Really. Sam, I love you."

" I’m going to die" Sam stated sadly, knowing, that Jack would only confess his love her, if there were no hope anymore."

" Yes, sweetheart, we all gonna die."

" Jack, I love you, too" she whispered and then asked him to lean closer. She kissed him and then closed her eyes forever. " NOOO!" Jack cried and a single tear slid down his face. With a deadly determination on his face, he again went to face the enemy. Teal’c followed him, but this time he let him do whatever he wanted to do. He was ready to die with him. Daniel looked down at Sam’s lifeless body and went after them. He barely saw anything, his eyes were filled with tears. Teal’c fell first, then Daniel. Jack was still marching toward the enemy. It seemed, that the energy blasts will miss him every time. He looked around and he saw all members of SG-3 and SG-6, all his collegues lying dead on the field. He saw Daniel and Teal’c lying dead. And then he was hit, too. He stumbled and fell next to Teal’c.

But he woke up. And he was alone. He remembered the dead bodies around him and punched his fist into the wall. ‘Waitaminute!’ a little voice came from the back of his mind. ‘There was no wall on this field!’ " You sonofabitch, goddamn snake-head!" he shouted. " You cannot let me die, can you? I swear you, I’ll follow your every step and I will kill you. And I will find pleasure in it, you…!" he was interrupted, when the door slid open. He didn’t even noticed, that there was a door. " You what?" the girl at the age about fifteen asked, as she stepped closer. " Nevermind. Who are you and why didn’t you let me die?"

" You and your friends had saved us. We are very thankful for you. You were the only one, who we could still save."

" You know, my friends are all dead. And the woman I loved is dead, too. Sorry, if I could not be more happy for still having my life."

" Tell me, how can I help you?"

" Give me my Sam and my friends again."

" Your wish is granted, O’Neill."

" Please, don’t play with me. I’m having a nightmare here."

" I’m not playing a game, O’Neill. You know one of our inventions, you call it: the quantum mirror."

" You did that?"

" Yes, and we have other useful devices, too. Give me some time and I will make your wish come true."

" Before you do that, can I tell you my story? Don’t worry, it’s the short version. But maybe it could be useful…"

" Don’t worry, O’Neill, I already know your story. I’ll try to make it this time easier for you and your Sam."

" Thank you. What’s your name?"

" They call me Mosha."

" Thank you, Mosha!" Mosha came back hours later, as Jack was getting more and more impatiently. " I have found a reality, in which you, I mean you in that reality…"

" I know this problem. Call me you, in every reality, please."

" You had asked for your retirement and then you committed suicide."

" After the death of Sam?"

" No, what sense would it make to send you into another reality, where your Sam is dead. No, you have committed suicide five years ago."

" After the Abydos mission?"

" Yes. Your wife moved out and filed for divorce. Your son was dead. You have found nothing to live for."

" I will replace him?"

" Yes."

" You have made time-travel possible? Sam would be …" his voice failed him. " One day we will meet again, O’Neill. I can meet your Sam then. And now, I have to take your memories."

" NO!"

" It could work only this way."

" But how will I find Sam?"

" I will leave you the longing for her."

" Let me her name at least."

" I cannot."

" Where are the others of your folk?"

" They have all died in the battle against the Goa’uld. Only the young ones stayed alive. I’m the eldest member of our folk."

" Mosha, please!"

" I should be glad, if it would work at all. I only did this once and my mother was with me."

" I trust you. And I don’t mind, if it’s not perfect."

" Thanks for your understanding. And now, close your eyes!"




CHAPTER ONE




" Take a seat, Major Carter" General West pointed to a chair. Sam has heard stories about him and that he never receives his subordinates in his office, but she didn’t believe it. Until now. Because she was ordered to the conference room. She arrived from Washington yesterday and was given a tiny quarter. She wanted to seek for an own flat, but the general didn’t allow her to leave the SGC. A week ago, a team under the command of Major Kawalsky went back to Abydos to find out, where the offenders of the previous day came from. They were not from Abydos. And while Dr Jackson and the team was away, Sha’re, his wife and Skaa’ra, his brother-in-law were taken away by the Goa’uld. Captain Feretti, who stayed behind, was badly injured, but he could see on the DHD where they went to. Sam gave the device the name yesterday. Major Kawalsky and Captain Feretti liked it. They went to the planet with Dr Jackson from Abydos. Captain Feretti was sent home with another lightly injured airman. They came to Chu’lac, where they were taken prisoner. In the prison they met Sha’re and Skaa’ra, but only for a short time, then they were chosen to be Goa’uld hosts. A Jaffa named Teal’c was helping them to escape and Major Kawalsky offered him to come with them to Earth. Sam wasn’t allowed to visit him yet. But Major Kawalsky said her, that he was a fine guy. They could flee, but they couldn’t save the two Abydonians. " Thank you, sir" she sat down at the far end of the desk. " I have ordered you here, because I let you the choice."

" The choice, sir?"

" There are eight teams in the SGC, you can choose one of them."

" Then I’d like to be in SG-1, sir."

" I have said eight teams, Major. SG-1 was not in the offer. I have already got my people in SG-1. Which one, Major?"

" SG-6, sir."

" Search and Rescue, suits you well, Major. You will be the CO of SG-6, since you have the highest rank in that team. You are dismissed." Sam saluted and left the general alone. She wanted a team, but not because she had the highest rank. She wanted to be in SG-1, because she found Kawalsky and Feretti two bearable men. There was not so much of that kind on this base. Everybody was looking at her strange. Only three female officers were on the base, and one of them was a doctor in the infirmary. The other woman was Lt.Ryanne Glenn. Sam met her yesterday. She was nice and not the usual military brat, Sam couldn’t stand. She was so deep in her thoughts, that she didn’t notice Dr Daniel Jackson. He was in his thoughts, too, so they bumped into each other in front of the conference room. " Excuse me" Sam murmured. " Sorry" Daniel said and looked up. While he was waiting to get let in, he was looking after her. " Come in!" came the general’s voice. " Take a seat, Dr Jackson" the General pointed to a chair, after Daniel walked in. " What can I do for you?"

" Sir, I’d like to be in one of the teams."

" Dr Jackson" General West sighed, but as he wanted to go on, he was interrupted by a knock on the door. " Come in!" he shouted out. " Sir" Major Kawalsky stepped in, followed by Captain Feretti. He was confused by the angry shouting. " You have ordered us here."

" Yes, Kawalsky. Til Colonel Blackthorne arrives, you will stay the CO of SG-1. Feretti is your 2IC. You are scheduled for tomorrow 1400."

" When is he arriving?"

" Next week. Have you finished your report, Kawalsky?"

" Yes, sir. It’s on the desk of Lt. Simmons."

" Then you are dismissed."

" What’s wrong, Daniel?" Kawalsky just noticed him. Daniel looked extremely sad. " I wanted to be in one of the teams, Major."

" I’m not letting a civilian off-world anymore! From now on this is an only military operation. We will need you here, Dr Jackson. You cannot travel through the Stargate again."

" Sir, it was her wife and brother-in-law!"

" They were not married."

" We were married!" Daniel shouted. " Sir…" Kawalsky wanted to say something, but was interrupted. " Do you wanna take my place, Major?"

" No, sir. But with all due respect…"

" Watch my mouth, Major, as I saying, he is not going off-world again."

" What if I don’t stay?" Daniel asked. " I thought, it was your wife. Your lab is next to Major Carter’s."

" Who is he?" Daniel asked. " He is a she and she is a theoratical astrophysicist. She is the CO of SG-6, you had to see her. She has just left."

" I saw her."

" Why is she not assigned to SG-1, sir? I heard, she had an excellent military record, she was in Desert Storm" Feretti asked. " You wanna take my place, too, Feretti? I have thought putting together the teams were my job, but tell me, if I were wrong" came the cynical reprimand. " No, sir" Captain Feretti shook his head. " Good, that we are agreed. I have to go now. You can find me in the Isolation Room, where the man is, you brought back from Chu’lac."

" His name is Teal’c" Daniel sighed resignated. " Dr Jackson, come with me! The others are dismissed."




CHAPTER TWO




" Do you really want to turn him over to Colonel Kennedy, sir? With all due respect, but that’s not fair! This man has saved our lives, sir! He could be a great help for SG-1!" Major Kawalsky was protesting. " Let me remind you, that this man is an alien and he holds a Goa’uld. The enemy, Major! And you suggest to assign him to SG-1?"

" Yes, sir. He proved, that he is loyal."

" Not that much, he betrayed his God."

" Because he thinks, that he is a false one" Daniel explained tired. He tried to convince the general for ages, but couldn’t succeed. " Sir, Teal’c is a great warrior, his help is needed. Assign him, please, to SG-1."

" It would happen nothing like that, Major! He is going with the colonel to the D.C. and the discussion is over."

" Sir…" Daniel wanted to begin, but was rudely interrupted. " Did I ask for your opinion, Dr Jackson?"

" No, sir. But I’ll tell you anyway. If they should separete him from his symbiote, he could die within hours."

" I think, the doctors know, what they do with him. And that’s not my responsibility anyway. And I think, you are agreed, that we should know our enemy."

" Yes, sir. But Teal’c could tell us so many useful things, which he cannot, if he is dead."

" He is going away, Dr Jackson."

" Sir…"

" Dr Jackson, you can leave us."

" Please, Major, try to save Teal’c" Daniel asked for Kawalsky’s help. " He cannot" General West answered instead. Daniel dashed out of the conference room. " Kawalsky, you are dismissed!"

" Yes, sir" he reluctantly walked out. Daniel was far away. And boy he was angry! You could hear the doors crying out in pain. At the corner Major Kawalsky bumped into Major Carter. " You’d better make a big circle around the conference room, Sam. Go as far as you can! He is in a very bad mood."

" I was ordered to him. And he is always in a bad mood, Charlie" Sam shrugged her shoulders. "Yesterday I have seen your ex-CO."

" Colonel O’Neill? How was he?"

" I don’t know, he was together with Dr Jackson. You should ask him."

" They are kinda friends."

" Why is he not here? I mean, I have read his Abydos report, I thought, I would meet him here."

" No one wanted him here. He and the general are not that, we call bossom friends, not speaking of kindred spirits!"

" I see. How is Dr Jackson?"

" Frustrated.We cannot find his wife, Sam. And he has the feeling, he is not doing everything, he could. He is sad and angry at the same time. He could make something foolish, Sam. Jack is the only one, he is actually speaking with."

" You are not talking about suicide, are you?" Sam asked worried. She was here since more than two weeks, but Daniel has built a solid wall around himself, that she couldn’t break through. But she liked him. " That or he will try to escape through the gate and that would mean kinda a suicide, too. Alone in a galaxy, full of hostile planets and full of Goa’ulds."

" Should I try to talk to him, Charlie?"

" That would be nice, Sam. But first you cold say good-bye to Teal’c. He will be brought to the D.C."

" I like him very much, we have talked a lot."

" Yeah, I know."

" He will not come back, will he?"

" I don’t think ,that we could see him soon."

" I have to go now. But later I will visit him. Please tell him that." Sam went to the General’s office, because he was not anymore in the conference room. " Hi, Graham!"

" Morning, Major Carter!" Lt.Graham Simmons greeted her with a smile. Sam always thought it was a huge wasting of talent to let him sit here, while he had a university degree in physic. He was at the NASA, before he was assigned to the SGC. " I will tell him, that you are here. He has just come back and was too angry for my taste."

" He was speaking with Kawalsky and Dr Jackson about Teal’c’s departure."

" He is going back to Chul’ac?"

" No, Lieutenant, he is going with Colonel Kennedy to the D.C. Where he will be studied."

" That’s not good. I mean, he saved the lives of our men, and that’s the thank you?"

" Exactly, Graham. Please, tell him, that I’m here. I don’t want you to have difficulties because of me."

" Teal’c" Sam stepped into the Isolation Room. " Major Carter" he bowed his head. " I heard, you had to go with Colonel Kennedy. I’m so sorry, Teal’c.We are so thankful for your help, but we cannot help you. Actually I wanted to free you, but Major Kawalsky said, that he tried it and failed."

" Yes" Teal’c nodded. "Don’t worry, Major Carter, I will be fine."

" No, you won’t. And I’m worried about you, because I like you."

" Thank you, Major Carter. Please, take care of Danieljackson. I think, he is still trying to do something foolish, as Major Kawalsky said."

" I have already promised Charlie to talk to him. And now I have to say farewell, Teal’c."

" Good-bye, Major Carter!"

" Good-bye, Teal’c!" Sam said and hugged him, then placed a light kiss on his cheek. With tears welling up in her eyes she left Teal’c and went to look for Dr Jackson. She has found him in his lab. " Dr Jackson, it’s me, Major Dr Carter, may I come in?" she asked, after her knocking was apparently not noticed. " Why not?" came a muffled voice form inside. Sam took it as a ‘yes’ and walked in. " Wow! I have never seen your office, it’s wonderful."

" Thank you, but I suppose, you didn’t come to tell me that."

" Please, Dr Jackson, you cannot give up hope! One day we will find Sha’re. I’m sure of this."

" You sound like my friend."

" Colonel O’Neill?"

" Jack is retired."

" I know. I have read his report about the first Abydos mission. He seemed to me to be an excellent soldier."

" Oh, that’s what he was. A soldier through and through, but he cannot work with such idiots together."

" You are speaking of General West?"

" Yes. And he didn’t even meet, that friend of his, Major Samuels. If I should not care about him , I would be off-world by now."

" You shouldn’t go through the Stargte alone, Daniel! It could be very dangerous."

" Why is this bothering you?"

" I know, that it’s none of my business and I know, that we are not friends, but I like you. And Teal’c and Major Kawalsky asked me to take care of you, which I wanted to do anyway."

" You are offering your friendship to me?"

" Yes" Sam said hesitantly, she didn’t know, if it’s right for him or not. " Good. Then you should know my other friend, Jack O’Neill. You could help me with him. Do you know his story?"

" No, and I don’t think, that you should…"

" It’s no secret, many people could tell you the story. But I have to tell you, because if you should meet him, you have to avoid some issues. Before the Abydos mission his son died. He was playing with Jack’s gun. " Oh my God!"

" After that, Jack was not the man, he was once. He built a wall around himself and let nobody in. Not even his wife. He was chosen for the Abydos mission, ‘cause at that time, he was like a kamikaze. He didn’t find anything to live for."

" His wife?"

" She was a beautiful woman. I have seen a picture of them. They were smiling at this picture. I only saw Jack smiling, while he was together with Skaa’ra. After he came back from Abydos his wife moved out. They are divorced. Jack will never forgive himself. And now, as he has nothing to do, he is always thinking about Charlie."

" His son."

" Yes. He is destroying himself. He is barely sleeping and he doesn’t eat properly. He hated me, but he is now my friend. He has to be very desparete, if he took my friendship. You know, he cannot stand smart people around himself. He is not dumb, don’t underestimate him. I can tell you, that he is very intelligent, but not in the schoolish way, as we are."

" My father is the same."

" I bet, he is a soldier, too."

" You have won, he is in the Air Force."

" Let me guess, he is a general."

" Yes. But I ….He wanted me to go to the NASA."

" I think, that you should be in SG-1, Sam."

" And I think, that you should be there, too."

" I think, that this is a beginning of a wonderful friendship."




CHAPTER THREE




" Hi, Jack!"

" Daniel, come in!" he shouted from the bathroom. " Where are you?"

" In the bathroom. I have bought some hooks for the towels, I’m just about putting them on."

" Finally" Daniel murmured. He said him, that he should buy something else for this house. It was a great house, but Jack only had a bed and a fridge and of course the telescope on the roof. He hasn’t got a phone either. He said, that Daniel is the only one, who wants to visit him and he is always welcomed. " Would you mind…?"

" Already there" Daniel answered and went to the kitchen to bring Jack a beer. For his greatest relief, Jack didn’t turned out to have a tendency to become an alcoholic. Some other people could have done this in a same situation."

" Here I am" he stepped in and handed Jack the bottle. " Thank you" Jack said, then frowning he looked Daniel up and down. " What happened, Danny?"

" Teal’c was brought to the D.C. Nobody could convince the general to let him live here with us."

" He is not famous about making up his mind, you know."

" Yeah, but you know, what will happen to Teal’c."

" Yes. I’m sorry, Daniel. I know, that you have thought, he could find Sha’re for you."

" Yes" Daniel sighed. " I met someone yesterday. Major Sam Carter."

" Who?"

" The leader of SG-6. Everybody likes Sam. "

" Good for them."

" Maybe you and Sam could be friends."

" No , Daniel. I don’t need people in my life. I would only loose them."

" Jack…"

" What do you think, should I really buy a couch?"

" Yes" Daniel nodded. He knew, that the other conversation is over. " And an arm-chair."

" Why?"

" Because I like arm-chairs" Daniel shrugged his shoulders. " You don’t have to, Jack" Daniel said, as he saw Jack thinking. " I was just joking."

" No, you are right, Daniel. As always. I have this beautiful house and I really should buy some furniture. I saw Sara the day before yesterday."

" What?"

" I saw her, she was together with her father. She smiled."

" She smiled?"

" Yes."

" And?"

" And that means, that life goes on. Even for people, who lost a child."

" Jack…"

" No, it’s okay, Daniel. After I saw her, I went to Charlie. He said the same to me."

" You were talking to Charlie?"

" Don’t worry, I’m not crazy."

" I’m not worried, Jack. Sometimes I talk to my parents. Everybody does this."

" Really?"

" Really. Maybe you could have another family, Jack."

" No, Daniel. I have just told you, that I don’t want people around me."

" A woman, Jack. Don’t you think, that…" Jack closed his eyes and there was the vision again. He was holding a woman in his arms and she was dead. He loved that woman more, than life. And he lost her. He didn’t know, when or if it were a dream only, but it looked so real and the pain after was so real. " The vision, Jack?"

" Yes. It’s a new one, Daniel. Since yesterday. I’m holding a woman in my arms, and she is dead. I loved her and she is dead. I don’t wanna lose another loved one, Daniel."

" I know, but loved ones make life bearable. You have to take the risk."

" I will think it over."

" And the other vision?"

" I saw it four times. You were leaving us and no one could hold you back. Daniel, this is it! I saw you hugging the woman I loved! Daniel?"

" I don’t know, Jack. They seem to me so real."

" To me, too" Jack nodded and forgot again to mention, that Sha’re’s death made him leave. He couldn’t take away hope from his friend. " Forget about it! You wanna help me to choose the furniture?"

" And they will laugh behind us, because they will think, that we are gays."

" We are not, I know and you know. And I have never cared about another people’s opinion."

" Let’s go!" With the details of this shopping Daniel made Sam and Kawalsky laugh till they cried.




CHAPTER FOUR




" Daniel, I don’t hink, that this is a good idea!"

" No objection, Major! You have promised me to help. We are going to that pub, have one or two beers and then we will go home."

" That’s all?"

" Well, we could talk, too."

" Does he knows, that I will be there?"

" No, if I had told him, he wouldn’t come."

" Poor man!" Sam said compassionatly. " Don’t worry, Sam! Have you heard something about Teal’c?"

" Nothing. General West and Major Samuels do not care about him. But Graham gave me the phone number of the lab, where he is held.. Tomorrow I’ll try to call them, but I know, that maybe they won’t tell me a word. Daniel, I think, we should cancel this appointment."

" Why?"

" Because I’m a woman."

" And?"

" And he is suffering."

" I’m suffering, too. And you didn’t fell in love with me."

" You still have a wife, Daniel. I would never go out with a married man."

" And if I were not married?"

" I think, I only see a brother in you."

" That’s great, because I see a sister in you, Sam. You know, I have never had siblings. But I always wished, that they would exist. I have even imagined a brother and a sister for me, after my parents were dead. Don’t worry, I do not do this anymore, I’m not crazy."

" I don’t think, that you are crazy, Daniel."

" Sam, I was lying to you all the time."

" About what?"

" About Jack. He is not kind. He is rude and cynical. If you don’t want to meet him, I would understand."

" I know, how he is. Charlie told me everything about him."

" Really?"

" Really. But he must be kind, if you like him, Daniel."

" He is my friend, I don’t care about his rudeness."

" Don’t worry, Daniel. You can count on me."

" Thank you, Sam. You are spending too much time with Major Kawalsky."

" I only help him to better cope with his CO. You know, Colonel Blackthorne is a friend of General West, and I think, this explains everything. And Charlie and Feretti are the only ones, who doesn’t think, that I’m a snob or a military brat. They treat me, as if we were equal."

" I would have never thought this about Major Kawalsky. But you seem to me to like the men in your team and Colonel Makepeace calls you Sam, too. " I know. The men in my team are not better, than anyone in the base. But I have to work with them together. And they have saved my life once. I’m thankful for that. And I have saved Colonel Makepeace’s life, and he is thankful for that. That’s all!"

" I see. And now we have to go, Sam. Are you ready for a rude, cynical, broken-hearted, battle-hardened, old soldier, Sam?"

" I’m ready" Sam nodded and grabbed her car keys. They took a taxi and sat in silence on the way to the bar. " Daniel, he is already here" Sam said seeing Jack’s car. " And what?"

" I’m nervous."

" There is no need to be nervous, Sam."

" What if he won’t like me?"

" He will like you." They went into the bar. As Jack saw Daniel, he stood up and went to him. " Hi, Daniel. You didn’t mention, that you’d bring a date with you."

" She is not my date, Jack. She is my friend."

" You have never mentioned this friend of yours."

" I spoke of her once, but you wasn’t paying attention. Nevermind. Sam, I would like to meet you Jack O’Neill. Jack this is Samantha Carter."

" I still cannot remember her."

" Hello, sir!"

" Hi, ma’m!" he grinned at her. " Daniel, you will regret not telling me, that I look that old!" Sam couldn’t help, she had to laugh at the facial expression of both men. " My name is Jack" Jack said and stretched his hand out. " And mine is Sam" Sam smiled and took his hand. " It would be great to sit down, everybody is looking at us."

" False, Daniel. Everybody is looking at Sam. Honestly, you are beautiful, Sam."

" Thank, you. I have to tell you, that you don’t look that old."

" Thank you, Sam. But then why did you call me, sir?"

" I know her from the SGC, Jack. She is…"

" Major Sam Carter, I rememeber now. You called her everytime Sam."

" Everybody calls me Sam."

" Good that I have retired myself, we can be together without breaking any of those stupid regulations." Sam only nodded and casted a questioning glance at Daniel. This was not a rude and cynical man. He was full of life and his eyes were sparkling. Sam could have looked into those choclate brown eyes all night long. And that’s what she did almost all the night. In the bar they have talked about almost everything. About Sam’s career, about the weather forecast, about dolphins and about Jack’s house. As the bar was getting crowded, Jack invited them to his house. " It’s not a palace, but it’s comfortable and it’s warm. I only have beer and mineral water, but I have a superb couch and a very comfortable arm-chair. And I let you the choice."

" That’s what the general has said to me six weeks ago" Sam said as they were walking out of the bar. " And your choice was?"

" SG-1, but I’m now the leader of SG-6."

" Yeah, Daniel told me. Who are they?" he asked from Daniel. " Search and Rescue" Daniel explained him and got into the car. " I drive."

" No one said something else, Daniel. I had two beers, Sam had two beers and you had an orange juice. Search and Rescue. Sounds good. I think, I would be glad, if you would rescue me, Sam. Would you?"

" Would I rescue you or would I be glad to rescue you?"

" Rescue me."

" I would" she nodded smiling. " You have the most beautiful smile I have ever seen, Sam."

" Thank you, and you have the most intresting eyes I have ever seen, Jack." Daniel thought about leaving them alone, but then again he thought, it wouldn’t be the right thing to do. So he stayed, accepting some dark glances from Jack. Jack showed his house for Sam. They went to the kitchen to take the mineral water and neither of them knew later how it came, that they were kissing. Daniel have found them. Jack stood in the fridge door hugging Sam close to him. And the fridge door was wide open. After the kiss was over, Sam gasped for air and suddenly saw Daniel standing at the treshold. She deeply blushed and hid her face in Jack’s nape. " I could leave you alone, but I don’t think, that this would be a smart thing to do. So don’t shoot dark glances, Jack O’Neill, I will stay."

" Alright then. Sam, you have promised to explain me how does the Stargate work."

" Do you really want to hear this?"

" Yeap. Use a metaphor so I could understand it, too."

" I’ll try. Charlie said, that you had a telescope on your roof."

" That’s right. But it’s too cold now outside, we don’t want you to catch a flu. Kawalsky and you are seeing each other?"

" Everyday" Sam nodded. " You know, he is in SG-1."

" I meant, if you were a pair?"

" Oh no! Charlie has a girlfriend, right, Daniel?"

" I don’t know exactly, but I guess, it’s right."

" Good. And now let me hear that explanation."

" And after it, we should go, Sam."

" Alright, Daniel" Sam nodded. " No, please stay on longer!"

" We should really go Jack" Sam said. " Daniel, please!"

" Sorry, Jack, but Sam has got a mission tomorrow. She has to sleep."

" I see. You know what? You will explain it later. So I can be sure, that you are coming again."

" That’s a deal, Jack" Daniel grinned at him. " And I want a good-night kiss. Daniel, go ahead and wait for Sam in my car!" Daniel left the house smiling. " Sam" Jack whispered and leaned closer. Sam closed her eyes and waited for the kiss. But it didn’t come. She opened her eyes and her gaze met Jack’s. " What’s wrong?" she whispered. " I’m no good for you" Jack answered. " Let this choice for me, Jack O’Neill!" she whispered so close to his face, that her breath was brushing his lips. Finally she put her arms around his neck and pulled him closer again. For a moment she let herself lost in those wonderful eyes. " You are good for me" she whispered and then kissed him. Jack gave up his hesitation and deepened the kiss by pulling her even closer. " Stay a little bit more" he asked her after the kiss. " I cannot. I would like to, but I cannot."

" When will you come back?"

" The day after tomorrow. But I don’t know, when I’ll have some downtime. General West keeps me on the go."

" Call me please!"

" As soon as possible, I promise. Good night, Jack!" she said and then placed a kiss on his cheek. " Good night, Sam!" he said and looked after her, till she was walking to the car and got into. " Sam?" Daniel asked her seeing the tears welling up in her eyes. " I have found the man of my dreams and I will have never enough time to spend with him."

" You don’t wanna leave the SGC, do you?"

" No, because that’s my dream, too."




CHAPTER FIVE




" Lt.Conner?" Sam asked in shock, as she saw the man lying under one of the bushes. For a moment she thought him for dead. " Oh my God!" Lt. Ryanne Glenn whispered behind her. " Major Carter?" Lt. Conner asked her. " Yes, Lt. Conner. What happened?"

" Frakes and me wanted to go back and report everything. Ma’m, he went crazy."

" You mean Captain Hanson."

" Yes, Ma’m, he took away our GDOs. He made the inhabitants believe, that he is God. And in between he believes it himself."

" Can you show us the direction, Lieutenant? And then you can go home."

" No, ma’m."

" No, ma’m?? Should I have to make it an order, Lieutenant?"

" Ma’m, I know him…"

" Wanna bet, that I know him better, than anybody, Lt. Conner?" Sam asked bitterly. " I know him. You are going home and no objection! And please send SG-3 after us. I think we will need them."

" Yes, ma’m!" Lt.Conner nodded. " This is adangerous planet. The UV and IR radiation is very high."

" I know, Conner. But thanks for the warning."

" There was once a mechanism, what could make the sky orange. That protected the people of this planet from the radiation. Captain Hanson says, that he could make it work again. But he cannot. Frakes has found in one of the caves a picture, judging from that, it has to be two devices working at the same time, to make the sky orange. Captain Hanson thinks, that the one, he has in his cave, is enough."

" Where is Lt. Frakes?"

" He is hiding here somewhere, we decided, that we have better a chance alone. Yesterday evening they have come to find us. Maybe they have found him already."

" We will find him, Lt. Conner. Don’t worry."

" Baker is with Captain Hanson."

" Lt.Conner, you really have to go now" Lt.Glenn said to him. " You are week and you need medical treatment."

" Lt.Glenn is right, Conner. Go!"

" Yes, ma’m!" he nodded and then dialled home. Ryanne sent the code through and SG-6 has waited, till he was through and the event horizon disappeared. They followed the little path Lt.Conner showed them. " What will we do?" Lt.Glenn asked Sam. " I have no idea, Ryanne. We will see, when we are there."

" Sam, someone is following us" Master Sgt. Thomas Sperling said. " I know, Tom. I have noticed him, as we were speaking with Lt.Conner. But he is one of the inhabitants. No one will shoot, am I understood?"

" Yes" came the answer in unison. " Peter, try to catch him!" she ordered Lt. Peter Cavanaugh. Peter lagged behind and after fiften minutes he returned with the man. The man pointed towards west and tried to reach for Sam’s hand. Sam stepped back, but then took his hand. He led her to a bush not far from there. Sam looked around, but couldn’t see anything. " Major Carter?" came a muffled voice. " Lt.Frakes?"

" Yes, ma’m" Lt.Frakes said from behind her. " For God’s sake, Lieutenant! " Sam turned on her heels to face him. " You have scared the hell out of me!"

" Sorry, Major! Do you wanna see my discovery?"

" You have found the second device?"

" Yes, ma’m."

" Okay, teach me how to switch it on. Ryanne, you and the other wait here for SG-3!" Lt.Frakes led him to a big pine tree. Beyond it, he kept the second device hidden. He showed Sam how it works and they went back. SG-3 was already there. " Good morning, Colonel Makepeace!"

" It’s 6 p.m. on Earth, Sam, but good morning to you, too."

" My team isgoing to the caves, where Captain Hanson is staying. Please, stay here with Lt.Frakes and guard him. He holds the key. The device he will show you is very important for this people and it can help us to overthrow a God."

" Hanson is playing a god? No wonder, he was always a freak."

" He isn’t playing a god" Lt. Frakes said. " He is playing GOD. He is always quoting from the Bible."

" He could kill you, Sam" Colonel Makepeace said, after swallowing Frakes’ words. " He will do nothing like that, Robert. I know him, he wanted me here, he knew, that I will come. I can make that machine work, he needs me. All I’m worried about is my team. I have to take them with me to avoid looking conspicious. " I see."

" After my try, I’ll try to convince the inhabitants, that he is no god. With their help, we can take him captive."

" I hope your plan will work, Sam."

" I hope, too. I will try to send a sign. As soon as you have seen it, you can switch on the device, Lt.Frakes."

" Yes, ma’m!"

" We have to go now! Ahead campers!"




CHAPTER SIX




After the infirmary visit and the debriefing, Sam was spending the rest of night on the phone. First she called her father, that was not a long talk. They were dicussing the issue NASA, and no one was ready to give in. Sam placed back the receiver with a tired sigh. She then took the paper, Graham gave her. " Captain Doctor Fraiser" came the voice from the other end. " My name is Major Doctor Carter" Sam said, after a sigh with relief. A female captain doctor was a good sign. " What can I do for you, Major Doctor?"

" I… Okay, in medias res, I know, that Teal’c is there with you. I just wanted to ask you, how he was."

" You are Major Samantha Carter. He is speaking of you and from a certain Dr Daniel Jackson all the time" she said. " I’m glad you have called me. Teal’c is well. I convinced the JCS, that there is no need of a separation. Indeed, we can examine him and his Goa’uld better, if they both are alive."

" Thank you, Captain Doctor! It’s good to know, that he is still alive. We have feared the worst."

" Please, feel free and call me, whenever you want. I will tell him, that you had called me."

" Thank you, Captain Doctor!"

" Call me Janet, please!"

" My name is Sam."

" Thanks for calling again, Sam."

" I hope, I didn’t disturb you, Janet."

" No. I was about to go to him. I will bring him good news. Good night, Sam!"

" Good night, Janet!" Sam was overjoyous. For an hour agao she was angry, because what happened on P3X-513. She has never wanted to see Jonas dead. But he had really no contact to reality anymore. And as he jumped on her, Ryanne had to shoot him. Then came the call with his father, what didn’t lighten her mood either. She stood up full with new energy and went to look for Daniel. He was in the mess hall with Charlie and Feretti. SG-1 was scheduled for 0100 and Daniel had to make some translation for General West. " I have good news about Teal’c" she sat down between Charlie and Daniel. " Really?" Daniel became excited and the others seemed glad, too. " Really" Sam nodded. " I spoke with his doctor, and he is still alive and together with his symbiote. Dr Fraiser convinced the JCS, that they could be better examined, if they are both alive."

" Who is he?"

" He is a she, and I guess, that’s why I could retrieve information at all."

" You are no better, than us, Sam" Kawalsky grinned at her. " You are always saying, that female soldiers are more intelligent, than male ones. And what about Lt.Simmons? Or me?"

" Yes, yes" Sam winked mischieviously at Daniel, who was smiling indulgently. " SG-1 to the gate room! " came the voice through the intercom. " Sorry, for ending this beautiful conversation with you so abruptly, Major Carter, but I’m afraid, duty calls."

" Yeah, yeah you will always find an excuse, when it’ about getting serious" Sam said with a straight face. The two leaving men were laughing aloud and Daniel was smiling a broad smile. " Have you called Jack?" he then asked. " No. What do you think, in the middle of the night, Daniel? You said, he was barely sleeping, what if he is doing it right now. I don’t want to wake him up. I’ll try to sleep, too, and I will call him next morning. Sorry" she looked down at her watch " this morning."

Sam got a one day downtime, on the condition, that she will stay in Colorado Springs. Daniel convinced her, that instead of the call, she should go straight to Jack. Sam hesitantly gave in. " The door is open, Daniel!" Jack shouted from the kitchen. " Do you want some coffee? I thought, you had to stay in the SGC, translating or whatever."

" He is in the SGC" Sam said walking into the kitchen. " Sam!" Jack was surprised. " I wanted to call you before, but Daniel said, I should come."

" He was right. You are on downtime?"

" Only today."

" How was the mission?"

" Terrible. Don’t ask, please."

" Okay" Jack nodded. " I see, you need someone to cheer you up."

" That would be great."

" You know, I love your smile. So what can I do to make that smile reappear. Oh, that was easy!" he said smiling, after the kiss. " Thank you" Sam smiled back at him. " But I think, you should make it harder for me. What do you want to do today?"

" Spending the day with you?"

" Yeah, that will make ME happy. But what should we do?"

" I don’t know, Jack. Frankly" she smiled mischieviously. " You have decided to make me happy today, haven’t you?"

" We don’t have to, if you don’t want" Sam said indifferently. " Yeah" Jack said kissing her neck already. He lifted her in his arms and went straight to his bedroom. " Don’t forget to explain me how does the Stargate work."

" Now?"

" You will have not enough time for it now. Later. Much later." Later Sam was telling him about Jonas Hanson. " Do you love him?"

" He is dead, Jack."

" Did you love him yesterday?"

" No, it was over a long time ago. And he was a freak, as Colonel Makepeace said."

" I was a freak, too, Sam. Ask Daniel."

" No, you could never do that, what he had done. He let those innocent people work for him under those extreme conditions. You know, some were blind already from working in the sun. You could never do such a thing. You were only a danger for yourself."

" Yes" Jack nodded. " I’m not anymore."

" I know" Sam whispered and leaning closer, she kissed him. " And now I’m still waiting for that explanation."

" Okay" Sam sat up and pulled the sheet with her. " Imagine an apple." Jack closed his eyes and the vision came again. He was sitting next to the woman, he loved and she was explaining him how does the Stagate work. And she used the same metaphor. They were sitting in front of a map. But the map was something strange, there were stars depicted on that map. " Jack is something worng?"

" No, nothing. Go on, please."

" Is really everything okay with you?"

" Yes, go on."

" Okay. When we are opening the gate, it’s like a little worm is making his way through the apple. But it’s only the dimension of space. The time dimension…"

" A worm? That’s because Daniel calls it a worm-hole?"

" Yes, I gave the name."

" And who gave the name for the Dial Home Device?"

" Me."

" And what is GDO standing for? Daniel didn’t want to tell me."

" He was speaking of the GDO?"

" Come on, Sam! You know, I would never reveal confidental information. It could make your work impossible. I don’t want that."

" Sorry, but…"

" If you don’t want to speak of it, we will find plenty of other things to speak of."

" No, it would be fine with me. But I cannot tell you anything. You knew about the gate, I can speak of that. You knew, that there are other teams going on mission to find Sha’re and explore the universe. But I cannot share with you confidental information."

" Alright, Sam. Don’t worry, please. We won’t mention the issue again."

" Thank you, Jack."

" What about a breakfast, Doctor Carter?"

" It depends, who will make it. And it’s 11 a.m., Jack. I think, it’s lunch time."

" Call it luncheon, Sam, and I will make it."




CHAPTER SEVEN




Sam was since three months in the SGC and she met Jack six weeks ago. In the last six days she didn’t see him, because General West didn’t let her to leave the SGC. She was fustrated and altough she called Jack every day, she was still missing him. Daniel was not a great help, he was going through a hard time. He began to give up hope. Sam and Jack tried to cheer him up, but they didn’t succeed. Daniel wanted to be in one of the teams and General West was still denying his wish. He felt, that he would leave Sha’re in the lurch. In Sam’s team the agreement seemed to break up. Tom and Peter were dissociating themselves from Sam and Ryanne. And Charlie and Lt. Blackthorne wasn’t speaking with each other. The only happy person in the SGC was Lt.Ryanne Glenn, because she fell in love. She was happy, till Sam told her, that he and Graham couldn’t end up together because of the regulations. But she could ask General West. Now Ryanne was even worse, than Daniel. So when after six days General West was about to leave for Washington, everybody felt relief. All SG teams went for a two days downtime, except SG-3 and SG-5. They were on downtime two weeks ago. They and the base crew were guarding the Cheyenne Mountain Facility. Sam could even leave the city of Colorado Springs. She planned a trip to Denver, just to get away from the very near of the Stargate. She called Jack and they made an appointment at Sam’s flat. As a matter of fact Sam prefered Jack’s house, but Jack liked her flat. And today she wanted to go out anyway. Maybe she could persuade Jack to go with her to Denver. " Sam!" Jack stepped in. " In the kitchen."

" Hi" Jack walked in and kissed her passionately. " I have missed you like crazy. How was your week?"

" Terrible. Charlie and his CO, Ryanne and her Graham. Tom and Peter. Daniel. I feel sorry for him, Jack. And I missed you so much!" she kissed Jack. " I just want to be out of town."

" It’s good, that I had only one problem. And that was missing you. Sam?" Sam stopped packing out, what she bought in the supermarket. Jack’s voice sounded somewhat strange. " Is something wrong?" she asked back. " No. Marry me!"

" What?"

" Marry me!"

" Jack…"

" Sam, I want you to be my wife. Please, don’t say no. I love you."

" I love you, too, but…it’s too early, don’t you think?"

" You don’t say no?"

" I say yes. But Jack…I don’t think, that we were ready to live together."

" We can stay in our houses and flats, but we will marry."

" Is it a compromise?"

" Kinda. Are you agreed?"

" Yes" Sam knew, it’s complete insanity, but she wanted to be married to Jack. " You wanted to go out of town. What about a visit to Vegas?"

" You mean now?"

" Yes. We go to Las Vegas and marry. When do you have to go back to the SGC?"

" On Monday."

" Then we have no time to lose! I’ll call the airport, you wait here!" Sam was sitting in the kitchen, when Jack was back. " Cold feet, Sam?"

" No, I was just sitting here and thinking."

" About?"

" About us. Jack, would you tell me something?"

" Everything. What do you want to hear?"

" What is happenning, when you close your eyes and are away for a moment."

" I have visions. At least Daniel calls them visions. Trip is cancelled?"

" No. Trip is delayed. When is the plane taking off?"

" In four hours."

" Good. We have time to clear this and to get to Denver. What kind of visions?"

" Until now, it were six visions. Some of them I see more. The first one was, when Daniel came to me first. I saw him leaving us, he grabbed all his belongings, maps, books etc and was about leaving."

" The SGC?"

" I don’t know, I was only twice there. I don’t know how it looks now. It was a long floor and on the floor are red and yellow lines."

" The SGC."

" Then there was the most terrible. I was holding the woman I loved in my arms and she was dying. But I cannot see her face. The most intresting was, when you were explaining me the Stargate. The woman I loved explained me using the same metaphor as you."

" This is three. And please tell me why Daniel was leaving the SGC."

" I didn’t tell him so far. He was leaving because of the death of Sha’re."

" I see. I won’t tell him either. It would make no sense to take him that hope. The another three?"

" The other three are about the woman I loved."

" You still couldn’t see her face."

" Exactly, I just know the feeling I felt for her."

" Tell me, Jack!"

" I was kissing her in front of the Stargate and a bald general was behind us. The other time, I see her and Daniel hugging, as he is leaving. And once we are lying next to each other in the darkness. It’s very cold, and I have a broken rib, she is lying next to me and warms me. That’s all."

" How is she?"

" She is like you, Sam. Kind, passionate and strong."

" I don’t know what to say."

" Do you still want to marry me?"

" Yes."

" This is enough. We have to go, Sam."

" Alright, we are taking my car or yours?"

" Mine."

" Just a minute, I call Daniel to say him where we are."

" Don’t say him. It would make things worse."

" If we don’t say him, he will feel himself let out."

" We will tell him later. Call him and tell him, that we are going to make a weekend trip."

" Alright, but it was your idea, Jack."

" I will take the full responsibility."




CHAPTER EIGHT




" Is he back?" Sam asked Monday morning. " Still in the D.C."

" Really? When is he coming back?"

" I hope never" Graham murmured. " Don’t worry, Graham, I won’t tell him. When?"

" He said, he would be back on Monday."

" And who will say good-bye to us?"

" Major Samuels."

" Oh, no! Please, Graham, try to keep him away from the gate room. Please!"

" I will try, Major Carter, I’ll try" he promised. Sam went to the gate room, where her team was already waiting for her. " Okay, campers, we have a go!"

" Where is General West?"

" Still in the D.C. Major Samuels wanted to say us good-bye, but he is busy."

" Thanks to Lt.Simmons" Ryanne whispered. " I allow you to thank him personally, Ryanne, after we are back. But we better go NOW! SG-5 has major difficulties, we go and help them and then bring them back safe and sound." Major Samuels walked into the gate room out of breath. The last member of SG-6 was just stepping through the gate. " Lt. Simmons!" he shouted, but Graham was not on duty anymore. He left the base, as soon as he called Major Samuels to the general’s office for a phone call. Sam found strange, that nobody was there in the gate room to welcome them back. She went with the others to the infirmary. SG-5 was in a miserable state. Her own team members were not better. She herself has got some injures on her back and on her both upper arms. They were not serious wounds, they were only annoying. After the infirmary she first went to her quarter to change and then to the general’s office. She wanted to report her marriage. " Is he back?" she asked Graham, just as twelve hours ago. " No, Major. He is not. An another general is here. General West is not coming back."

" Hurray!" Sam jumped a little bit and then looked around. No one was there except Graham. " I wanted to thank you for keeping Major Samuels away."

" Ryanne was already here and thanked me."

" I see" Sam grinned at him knowingly. " What do you think, can I see him?"

" Sure, he is alone. "

" Bye, Graham!" Sam knocked on the door, and after the ‘come in!’ she walked in. " Good evening, Major!"

" Evening, sir! Welcome to the SGC!"

" Thank you, Major. What can I do for you?"

" I just wanted to report you my marriage."

" Good. Have it appear in your file and we are done. Anything else?"

" Actually there is something else, sir" Sam nodded. " It’s about Dr Daniel Jackson, he is the one…"

" Who made this all possible, I know. What’s with him?"

" He has tried to go trough the gate. Alone, sir! He wants to be in one of the teams. He could be assigned to my team, sir."

" You have no team, Major."

" Sir?"

" I’ll change things here, Major. And I promise you, that I’ll try to solve Dr Jackson’s problem. Oh, good to see you, Dr Fraiser!"

" Janet?"

" Sam?"

" You two know each other? Good. Major Carter, Dr Fraiser will be the leader of the infirmary."

" Dr Harrison?"

" He will remain under her command. Dr Fraiser brought two another collegues with. Dr Warner and Dr MacKenzie will arrive soon. The first one is an excellent surgeon, the second one is psychologist. Dr Fraiser is an expert, if it’s about nasty viruses or bacteria. Please, Major Carter show her the way to the infirmary. And send Dr Jackson here!"

" Yes, sir!" Sam nodded. The lost of her team didn’t hurt her and General Hammond seemed to her to be a good man. He brought experts with! " Oh and Major Samuels is going to the D.C. Please, Major, do me the favor and send someone to clean up his office. I have more important things to do."

" Yes, sir!" Sam nodded and with Janet she left his office. They were heading to the infirmary and Janet told her about the general. She liked him. In the infirmary they have found Teal’c. " Good evening, Teal’c!" Janet greeted him. " Evening, Dr Fraiser!"

" Teal’c, good to see you again!" Sam hugged him. Teal’c, as much as he was able, smiled at her. " Good evening, Major Carter. Dr Fraiser, I was talking about this woman."

" I know her, Teal’c, from the phone. We were talking about you all the time. Sam was worried about you."

" Teal’c!" Daniel dashed in. " I heard, you were here, but couldn’t believe it."

" Danieljackson, I’m glad to see you. Dr Fraiser, this is Dr Daniel Jackson. Danieljackson, this is Dr Fraiser."

" Nice to meet you, Doctor. Sam told me about you."

" Nice to meet you, Dr Jackson."

" Daniel, General Hammond is waiting for you in his office."

" Who? And where?" Sam laughed, he was right. General West’s habit not to receive anybody, except maybe Major Samuels, in his office, was always the theme of jokes.




CHAPTER NINE




" Take a seat, Colonel O’Neill."

" I have retired, sir."

" I need you here, Colonel! Do you want to take the job or not."

" Sure, sir! But there is a problem…"

" I don’t care about it. It could be no great problem. You will take SG-1 over."

" Colonel Blackthorne?"

" You had spies here?"

" No, sir. Dr Jackson is my friend."

" I see. He was suddenly replaced to NASA."

" I already worked with Major Kawalsky, sir. I think, he could have a team on his own."

" I think it, too. He will take SG-2 over. And he will bring his team-mates with. And Major Jones…" There was a knock on the door. " Come in!"

" Good morning, sir! My name is…"

" Dr Jackson, I know."

" Jack?"

" Hi, Daniel!"

" And Major Jones will take SG-6 over."

" You wanna fire Sam, sir? She is one of the best officers here on the base. And she is a Stargate expert. You cannot do this’" Daniel protested " I don’t fire her. I want the best of the best in SG-1. She will be the one…"

" Sir, there is a little problem…"

" Is it because she is a woman?"

" I don’t mind, if she is a woman, sir but…"

" I don’t care any further, Colonel! SG-1 is you, Major Carter and Dr Jackson. Any suggestions for the fourth member? Dr Jackson?"

" Teal’c, if it’s possible."

" You have read my mind, Dr Jackson."

" Great! Two scientists and an alien. Why is it always me?"

" Colonel?"

" You still don’t wanna hear my problem?"

" No."

" Then I’d like to meet my team, together."

" Good. You are scheduled for 2000. You will go to P3X-797. SG-3 under the command of Colonel Makepeace will accompany you. Dismissed. Go and gather your team, son!" Daniel was showing him the way to the infirmary. Sam was still there, playing hostess for Janet. " Major Carter, Teal’c, to my office!" he only poked his head around the door. " Where is it?" Sam asked back. " It’s the fromer office of Major Samuels." In his office Daniel stood behind his chair. Sam stood in front of his desk and Teal’c was standing behind her. Jack was sitting on his desk. " Major, Teal’c, you will be in my team. We will go on mission at 2000. The planet with the destination number P3X-797. " Should we not give it a name?"

" You can name it, after we arrived back, Daniel. Major?"

" Who will be the leader of SG-6, sir? You know, I was the CO of SG-6."

" I know. Major Jones will take your place."

" And who will be the CO of SG-2?"

" Major Kawalsky. Colonel Blackthorne was replaced to NASA."

" Then we are SG-1?"

" Yeap, Major! You are as smart as I was told."

" Thank you, sir. I always hoped, that my degree in astrophysics would be one day a great help."

" Major?"

" Sorry, sir, but seemingly you don’t like me. Is it because I have my reproductive organs inside, instead of the outside?"

" No, Major. I like women. I only have nothing in common with scientists. Ask Daniel!"

" Daniel is a scientist, too. And Charlie said, that you two are kinda friends."

" I always wonder why. But Kawalsky was right. Can I ask you something, Major?"

" Sure, sir. Go ahead!"

" Are you tenderly attached to Major Kawalsky?"

" It’s my business, sir!"

" Yes it is. So not. That’s great, because I don’t want any difficulties because of that."

" Sure, sir! I’ll take a nun robe and swear virginity."

" You would do this for me, Major? Great!" Jack said grinning and his eyes went sparkling. Seeing this, Sam couldn’t be angry with him. " We are only friends, sir. Major Samuels and General West were not the best COs of the world. We needed friends, if we didn’t wanna go insane."

" Guys, enough! You were great, but enough is enough!" Daniel said laughing out loud. " This was Oscar-ripe!"

" Thank you, Daniel" Sam bowed his head. " What is an Oscar?" Teal’c asked.

CHAPTER TEN

" Do not even think about it, Charlie!"

" What?" Kawalsky asked confused. " I saw you looking after her! She is mine!"

" Jack, calm down! What are you talking about?"

" I’m talking about Sam! She is mine!"

" Jack, Sam is only my friend!"

" Keep away from her!" Jack jumped on him and Teal’c could barely prevent, that something worse happened. " O’Neill, please, calm down!"

" I don’t wanna calm down! Let me show him…" he wanted to jump on Kawalsky again, but was bumped into Teal’c’s fist and fianlly he has fainted. " What happened?" Daniel asked seeing Jack lying on the ground unconscious. " He wanted to attack me. He said, that I should want something from Sam. Daniel, I know, that they are together" Kawalsky whispered. " And I surely couldn’t do this to my friends!"

" It was not his fault. Janet told me, that Sam has attacked one of her nurses, because she should have feelings for Jack."

" And why are they doing this?"

" I don’t know, but maybe…"

" What was that?" Major Kawalsky asked, after a big thump and a loud cry. Daniel dashed out and after five minutes he was back. " Colonel Makepeace went crazy and hit one of his team-members. He cried, that he was the strongest and he was the leader. Lt. Haslov was showing the same reaction. Both men were very agressive. Janet put them in one of the isolation rooms."

" What did you wanted to say?"

" I told Janet, that I suppose, it’s the same thing, what the so called ‘touched’ had on the dark side of P3X-797. Only SG-1 and SG-3 seem to be affected."

" We should bring Jack to the isolation rooms, too" Major Kawalsky suggested. Janet greeted them with a tired smile. " We have the fourth member of SG-3. He attacked Lt.Simmons. Poor man, he is still in shock. Teal’c, please, place him on the examination bed!" After four hours Janet was sitting on a chair in front of the infirmary. Her mind was desparetely seeking for an explanation, as Daniel and Major Riley brought Lt. Simmons from the control room. " We have nobody else in the control room, Janet" Daniel said tired. In the last hour Dr Fraiser asked him to call her Janet. " There is nobody in the control room?"

" I let Lt. Holly Redmond there. She said, she would try to figure out how it works."

" Good, because before the general asked me to sedate him, he said, that SG-5 was due in six hours. So we have only five right now. Any suggestions?"

" No" Major Jones shook his head. Daniel was thinking. " Who is still intact?"

" You, Teal’c…"

" Let him out. No offense, Teal’c, but your symbiote could protect you."

" That’s my opinion, too, Danieljackson."

" SG-4 and me."

" Why?"

" I have no idea, Daniel" Janet shook her head. " And what’s the most intresting thing is, that you are not affected."

" I think, we should go back to P3X-797 and ask the ‘untouched’, why they were not affected."

" But General Hammond is in isolation, too."

" I heard once Dr Harrison talking, that in a contamination crisis the CMO is the CO of the base. That means you, Janet."

" Okay, try to go back and ask them. Oh it would be good…"

" DOC!!!!" came a cry from one of the isolation rooms. " Jack woke up" Daniel stated. " We should go and see him."

" I don’t think, that this is a good idea, Daniel."

" Why?"

" He could attack you."

" Jack?! No way! And Teal’c is going to be there, right?"

" Right" Teal’c nodded. " Let’s go" Janet gave in. They went to Jack’s and General Hammond’s room. Jack ran into the corner, as he saw them coming. He was sitting there curled up. " Colonel?" Janet asked him. " Gimme…gimme more" Jack could hardly speak the words. " No, sir. This was enough" Janet shook her head. " More!" Jack shouted, and Janet decided for more sedative. " I wonder, how he could be on this level. The others only think about meal and sleep."

" He has a strong personality" Daniel said. " I think, General Hammond and Major Kawalsky have it, too" Janet shook her head in disagreement. " Right, but Jack already was in this kind of situation. The Black Ops all around the world, he was trained to resist to chemical weapons and that kind of stuff."

" I see. That’s it, Colonel. You cannot get more" Janet said and stood up. Teal’c opened the door and let her out. Daniel was casting a last glance at Jack, as he jerked his head up. " Sam?" he asked. " Colonel?" Janet returned at the same moment. " Sam?"

" Sam is well, she had a little accident, but she is well."

" Knife…"

" No, it was not a knife, it was only a scalpel."

" Dani…Teal’c, you?"

" We are not affected, Colonel."

" All…"

" Yes, all the others are affected."

" No" Jack shook his head. " Aller…"

" What did he say?" Janet turned to Daniel. " I didn’t hear it, sorry. Jack!" Daniel looked in his eyes. Jack turned his head away. " Jack! Please, try it again. What’s this?"

" Aller… No! Dani…aller…"

" Daniel and aller?"

" That’s it! Allergy! Right, Jack?" Jack nodded and then sat back into the corner. " But what is with my allergy?" he turned to Janet for advice. She wasn’t paying attention. " Are you allergic to something, Daniel?"

" To almost everything. Why?"

" That’s the common point. SG-4 returned six hours ago with a serious pollen allergy. I gave them anti-histamines. You are taking them, too?"

" Yes."

" And me, too."

" Should we go back to P3X-797?"

" It isn’t necessary, Daniel. We know the cure. All we need is an experimental subject."

" Jack would be surely glad to act as your guinea-pig, Janet."

" Good. We should take him to another room."

" I think, he fears us" Daniel mused. " No" Teal’c shook his head. " He only fears me."

" Because in the society, if we should call it society, so in the society of the ‘touched’ strength was the only really important thing" Daniel explained him. " I see" Teal’c nodded. " He can stay here. General Hammond is sleeping. Would you be so kind and bring him to Lt. Simmons. He has no room-mate yet."

" Yes, Dr. Fraiser."




EPILOGUE




" Sir, I told you, that I have a problem. You didn’t wanna hear it" Jack said complaining in the conference room. SG-1 and SG-4 has just come back from P3X-797, where they had offered their help to cure the ‘touched’. Everybody was happy, and after SG-4 left the debriefing, General Hammond gave Jack a reproachful glance. " Jack…" Sam tried to say something, but Jack interrupted her. " No, it was my fault and General Hammond’s fault, right, sir?"

" Jack!"

" Don’t worry, Sam."

" Son, you are making the same mistake, as I was making, when I didn’t wanna hear your problem. Let her tell you, what she has to tell you" General Hammond suggested. " Sam?" Jack turned to her with a questioning look on his face. " Jack, I have already confessed our marriage to General Hammond. Just before our first mission to P3X-797. I went to his office and told him evrerything."

" And what did he say?"

" He said" General Hammond answered his question, " that, you could be in one team, if the fact, that you are married, doesn’t affect your work. Dr Carter reassured me, that there would be no problems."

" Dr Carter? Sam, you left the Air Force?"

" I told you, Daniel" Sam turned to him. " Give me my 20$!"

" Sam?"

" Yes, I quit the Air Force. That was the only way to stay here and with you."

" Sam, you are an excellent soldier…"

" I would prefer to be with you all the time and be in the SGC, as being elsewhere seeing you two times in a month. And I think, that we should discuss any further at home."

" Your place or my palce?"

" Our place" Sam said smiling and Jack was suddenly reconciled with the situation. " I just don’t want you to regret this."

" I won’t, I promise."

" Then I have only one more question. Could someone tell me what is GDO standing for?"

" Garage Door Opener" Sam said giggling. " Whose idea was that?" Jack asked, although he had a vague idea. " Daniel’s" Sam pointed to the direction of the young man.

****

The girl put the mirror down and sighed with relief. They are together now. But she was worried about all the visions. Sooner or later they will come back here and she could take away his memories properly. She read the book and she read her mother’s notes. And she practiced.




THE END

© Captain Joanna O’NEILL SG-6 – Search/Rescue