samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Nothing comes to mind. It playes somewhere in S5 ; -)

Author’s Note: Feedback please!


*************** TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS or THE MORE THE MERRIER ***************




Prologue




SG-1 stepped through the gate. General Hammond waited till the wormhole disengaged, then went back to his office. He had got a lot of paperwork to do. He wouldn't want to deal with it on Christmas' Eve. On the other side of the galaxy the four members of SG-1 emerged from the event horizon. " Daniel?" Jack looked at the anthroplogist expectingly. " That way" Daniel pointed towards the path. " Major, took point!"

" Aye, sir!" Sam nodded and took point. " I don't know why to make these exploration thirteen days before Christmas. I just wanna be home" Daniel complained. Jack only shrugged his shoulders, he was already home. SG-1 was the only family he had. Cass invited him for Boxing Day, but he still couldn't do anything with himself on Christmas Eve. Oh he surely knew with whom he wanted to celebrate Christmas. And how. On lonely off-world nights he phantasized about it; he worked out every little detail. Then the sun or suns rose and reality took over. He couldn't spend the holiday with his 2IC. It was against regulations. " Teal'c are you going to visit your kiddo?" Jack asked Teal'c, his last hope. " Of course, O'Neill" Teal'c nodded. Jack wasn't even disappointed anymore, he knew the answer, but he had to ask. " Where are you gonna spend Christmas Eve, Jack?" Daniel asked him. " On the base. I'll volunteer."

" C'mon, Jack! I cannot believe you don't have anyone you could spend Christmas Eve!"

" I'll spend Boxing Day with Cass."

" Boxing Day isn't Christmas Eve, Jack."

" Daniel, don't worry, I'll be okay on the base."

" But…"

" Carter here. Sir, there is a fork in the road" Sam called over the handheld radio. " Coming" Jack nodded and hurried after Sam. Teal'c and Daniel shared a meaningful glance. " Strategical withdrawal" Daniel stated, and Teal'c only nodded in agreement.




*************** 12




The suns were rising again, and Jack O'Neill opened his eyes to a beautiful view. Sam leaned over him and just wanted to wake him up. " You're awake?"

" Sure" Jack said huskily. " Where is Daniel and Teal'c?"

" They told me that they wanted to take a look at that cave, we discovered yesterday. They'll be back in an hour. And we are in radio contact" Sam reported him. " Why didn't you wake me up?"

" Teal'c told us that you had been awake the whole night."

" I couldn't sleep while the moons were up. They were too bright" it was a lame explanation and both of them knew that it wasn't true. " I see" Sam excepted it anyway. " Sir, I couldn't overhear your conversation with Daniel yesterday. Your radio was on all the time. If you want, you could spend Christmas with us."

" Dad is coming?"

" Yes" Sam nodded. " I think he likes you, sir. And I know he wouldn't mind."

" No, Sam, it wouldn't be right. Christmas is a family holiday and you should spend it with your father."

" But, sir…"

" Sam, I'll be okay on the base. Don't worry."

" If you should change your mind you're anytime welcome, sir."

" Thank you, Major" Jack nodded, using her rank to hide behind.




***************




" What did you say?" Jack turned to face Sam. " Our GDO is broken, we cannot send the IDC" Sam repeated. " Well, Teal'c, you have got an own GDO, don't you?"

" It doesn't work either, sir" Sam shook her head. " I've tried already."

" Major, why I have those funny feelings in my gut?"

" Cause you won't like what I'm just gonna say."

" Then don't say it!"

" I have to, sir."

" We are stuck, aren't we?" Daniel, who couldn't bear the tension, asked. " Yes, we are stuck" Sam nodded. Jack wasn't that unhappy. A some more downtime was always welcome. Sooner or later General Hammond will surely send someone after them. He looked at his companions and they had such a disappointed facial expression, he felt almost guilty. " Daniel, dial us to the Land Of Light."

" Sir?" Sam asked. " They have got a Sagan Box, Major. It will take time, but we are gonna go home" Jack explained. " Of course" Sam nodded. " Why I haven't thought about it?"

" Because you all are emotionally involved. I, on the other hand, have a clear head." Daniel turned to face his team-members and his face told everything. " Don't say it, Daniel."

" I cannot dial us out. We are really stuck here." Now this wasn't funny anymore. But as a partridge like creature walked into Jack's view, he couldn't help but laugh from the heart.




*************** 11




" Jack!" came Daniel's whisper from his left ear. " What's wrong?" he asked, whispering, too. " Someone is here" Sam's voice came from his other side. " I know. They are here since ten minutes. I'm really hurt, people, after all it's my watch."

" Sorry, I thought you were sleeping."

" Sorry, sir."

" SURPRISE!" five voices yelled at the top of their lungs. Daniel and Sam jumped and fell on their butts in surprise. Jack was only smiling. " You knew that they are here, didn't you, sir?" Sam asked him accusingly. " Sorry, Major, I couldn't let this one out."

" Sorry, Major, but Colonel O'Neill said you wouldn't mind" Major Nelson Crane excused himself. " What are you doing here?"

" General Hammond sent us after you, as you were due in twelve hours. SG-3 is here, too."

" Show me your GDO!" Sam demanded. " It's broken" Lt. Holly Sinclair shook her head. " Call SG-3!" Jack ordered her. " Aye, sir!" the lieutenant nodded and pulled out her radio. " SG-6 on SG-3, please, come in!"

" Archer here" came the voice of the leader of SG-3. Lt. Colonel James Archer sounded depressed. " Sir, is your GDO still intact?" Lt.Sinclair asked him. " No and we cannot dial out. Did you find O'Neill and the others?"

" O'Neill here" Jack took the radio over. " What's wrong on this goddamn planet?"

" I don't know, James, but our GDO is broken, too. And we couldn't dial out yesterday."

" Send Teal'c to lead us to you, please!"

" He is on the way" Jack nodded while signalling Teal'c to head to the Gate.




***************




" I left Teal'c and O'Leary at the Gate just in case the General is sending the M.A.L.P. through."

" All right" Jack nodded. " Is there something edible on this planet?" Lt.Colonel Archer asked. " Something that looks like partridge" Daniel informed him. " And we have two turtle doves" he pointed towards the big tree standing at the edge of the clearing, where they set camp. Two doves-like creatures sat on a bough and were cooing. " I see" Lt.Colonel Archer nodded and passed a reprimanding glance towards Lt.Sinclair. " What's so funny Sinclair?"

" Uhm, nothing, sir" she shook her head while trying to suppress her laugh. " Tell him, Holly" Lt.Wagner, Holly's teammate nugded her in the ribs. " No" she hissed back, already sober. " Lt.Sinclair!" Lt.Colonel Archer yelled at her. " Yes, Sir!" she sprang to attention. " Shall I make it an order, Lieutenant?"

" No, sir" she shook her head. " You know the song The Twelve Days Of Christmas?"

" Of course I know" Lt.Colonel Archer's expression altered from annoyed to cheerful. The change made everyone stunned. " Shall I sing it?" he asked teasingly. " No, thank you, James" Jack grinned at him. " We all know your voice; light, only difficult to bear."

" I'm really hurt, Jack" he replied amused. " Okay, do we eat MRE or do we go hunting?"

" I've had enough from MRE" Daniel stated. " If someone is willing to show me how to hunt partridge, then I'm willing to go."

" Oh, Dr Jackson, I almost forgot. Dr Fraiser told me to tell you that if you aren't home for Christmas, you shouldn't come for New Year."

" My wife told you THIS?" Daniel was astonished. " Of course not" James shook his head, grinning. " She told me to bring you back in one piece."

" I see" Daniel nodded and then go for the partridge hunt. Lt.Chris Wagner from SG-6 and Lt. Al Norton from SG-3 accompanied him.




*************** 10




Jack O'Neill was awoken by radio statics. It was Sam's turn of watch and she tried to keep her voice low to not to wake the others. " What's wrong?" Jack crawled to her. " Teal'c, Colonel O'Neill is here" Sam said into the radio and handed it over to Jack. " Hi, Teal'c! What's wrong?"

" General Hammond sent through the M.A.L.P., but it was not working properly and we could not tell him what is wrong here."

" We showed him our broken GDO, sir" Sgt. O'Leary chirped in. " Who is it, Gunny?" Jack asked resignated. " SG-2 and SG-5, sir. They were on a mission together and General Hammond re-routed them."

" Give me Ferretti!"

" Ferretti here, sir" came the familiar voice. " Broken?"

" As much as could be, sir. Sorry, sir."

" Nevermind. Let Teal'c escort you here."

" Yes, sir. Ferretti over and out." Jack turned back to face ten disappointed campers. " SG-2 and SG-5. The more the merrier" he stated sarcastically, but only Sam sent him a weak smile.




***************




" What should we do?" Daniel asked Jack after SG-2 and SG-5 arrived. " I don't know. Major Carter, are you sure there is nothing you could do with our GDOs?"

" I'm pretty sure, sir."

" Okay. But you should try again. Maybe Lt. Sinclair and Lt. Shaw could help you" he placed a glance at Holly Sinclair and Sasha Shaw. " Yes, sir" the three women nodded in unison. " And now, we have to make something before we are going nuts here" Jack turned to face the men, after the women left. The others nodded, except Lt.Colonel Archer, who was still looking after the leaving women. " James?" Jack asked him. " Sorry" he shook his head to clear his mind. " It's only the song again."

" What kind of song?" Ferretti asked after seeing the others smiling broad. " The Twelve Days Of Christmas."

" What's with the song?"

" Yeah, what's with the song?" Major Steven Wood, Archer's 2IC asked. " I understood the partridge and dove part. But what's now?"

" The song has a hidden meaning, Major" Daniel switched into teacher mode. " The three french hens represent the three virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity."

" And?"

" Look at them!" Archer signalled with his head towards the three women. Sam, Holly and Sasha were looking at the GDO, trying to figure out how to fix it. " I see" Major Wood nodded. " There are partridges here?" Lt. Harvey Walsh of SG-2 asked and the others bursted out in laughter. Jack only smiled absent-mindedly while he thought about Daniel's words. Sam meant everything to him. Faith, 'cause she proved more then once her complete confidence in him, she trusted him with her life. Hope, 'cause she never gave him up, and he could always count on her. Charity, 'cause she made his heart beat with life again. " Sir?" Sam called him over. " Yes?"

" There's nothing to do, sir. We could take a look at the DHD."

" I see" Jack nodded and didn't see disappointed. " Sir?" Sam didn't understand why he wasn't making any comments. " No one awaits me home, Major. All of my friends are here" he shrugged his shoulders. Sam looked after him as he walked back to Archer. " I guess we are stuck here for a while, James. Major Carter and the lieutenants will take a look at the DHD. But I think that we cannot do anything. We can only wait till someone on the other side figures out the solution."

" Who?" Archer asked, placing a meaningful glance at Sam. " To tell the truth, I don't know. But Jacob Carter wanna spend the holiday with his girl, so we can count on the Tok'ra."

" I see" Archer nodded. " But they are "the don't call us, we will call you"-bunch."

" Exactly. Major!" Jack waved Sam closer. " Yes, sir?"

" When will Dad arrive on Earth?"

" On the 24th, sir. Why?"

" He is our last hope" Archer told her. " I see" Sam nodded. " Do you still want us to take that look at the DHD?"

" Yes, Major. Thank you."

" Not at all, sir" Sam flashed a smile at him, that made his heart leap.




*************** 9




" We are ready, Jack!" Daniel called him over radio. " Coming" Jack hurried into the cave that gave them shelter from the rain. It's started to rain by dawn and it didn't wanna stop. Jack ordered them to move into the cave. It was large enough to afford shelter for all the five SG teams. He was the last one who moved in, because he and Teal'c pulled the M.A.L.P. to their camping site and tucked it under two raincoats. Shaking the water out of his hair he walked into the cave. Sam sat on the far edge between James Archer and Holly Sinclair. He looked around and wanted to go to Daniel, as Archer waved him to them, making place between himself and Sam. " Thanks" Jack sat down. " Are you cold, sir?" Sam asked worried. " A bit. It's a warm rain."

" I managed to rescue your backpack from the rain, sir." Jack looked at Sam, who was now deeply blushing. " Thank you, Sam" he said quietly, taking his pack from her. He moved further into the cave and changed into dry clothes. He heard something that sounded like splashing and followed the sound. He still stood there amazed, as Teal'c arrived. " What are you doing here, O'Neill?"

" This is a beautiful place, Teal'c. Let's tell the others."

" It is warmer in here."

" Of course, because this is a hot spring." They went back to the others and led them to the chamber.The air was balmy and the place looked nice. " Do we sleep in here from now on?" Daniel asked. " If you want" Jack shrugged his shoulders.




***************




" Whose turn?"

" Ours" Ferretti sighed deeply. " Let's hear" Jack sat next to Sam, while they were talking about wonderful rescues. He offered his shoulder by moving closer, and Sam took the offer. Daniel and Teal'c shared a meaningful glance, but then turned back their attention to Major Ferretti. " It was our second mission and Sasha wasn't in our team yet. We were pretty close to a Jaffa patrol, as Jesse started to sneeze."

" They all looked at me like they wanted to kill me on the spot" Cpt. Jesse Osborne interjected. " I think we wanted. … Sir" Lt. Woodbein grinned. " Of course the Jaffas spotted us and went mad. We had to run and Jesse was continously sneezing. Suddenly the Jaffas stopped and we stopped, too. We were so shocked that we couldn't think straight away. So we, I mean the Jaffas and we, stood there face to face and none of us moved. Then a little man appeared, seemingly out of the blue. He had two birds on his left and two birds on his right shoulders. He murmured some words in the language of the Jaffas and they began to turn around and leave the place and us, of course. We were still shocked, but Jesse started to ask out the little man, sneezing every now and then."

" I hardly understood him, because of his four calling birds " there he placed an amused look at Lt.Colonel Archer. The CO of SG-3 was grinning innocently. " They made a noise like birds of paradise, but they were of even more color. He told me that his gods are like me and that the Jaffas fear their gods."

" Like you?" Daniel asked confused. " They were always sneezing. There had to be a strong pollen that made me sneeze, and I think it was enough to make the gods sneeze." Everybody was smiling and then placing an expectingly look at Daniel. " Which one should I tell, Jack?" he asked and earned a laugh from Lt. Colonel Archer. " Your choice" Jack said quietly. " Then I'll tell about your wonderful rescue from Antarctica."

" We all know about that, Dr Jackson" Holly Sinclair informed him. " Tell us something new."

" What about the Ice Planet, when our memories were wiped out."

" Boring topic, Dr Jackson" Major Ferretti stated. " Tell them about our last mission, Daniel" Jack suggested. " No!" Daniel shook his head. " Why not?" Jack wanted to know. " Because I didn't tell Janet" he hissed back. Jack smiled evilly and started the story about Daniel and Jenna. " And she really wanted to share you with Doc Fraiser?" Archer asked after the laughs subsided. Daniel nodded seriously, making the group laugh again. " I promise you, if you tell Janet, before I can tell her, I'll embarass you that you wish, you haven't ever met me " Daniel threatened them, earning another laughs. But seeing that Jack and Sam weren't laughing the others began to take Daniel's threat seriously. " I think it's enough for today" Jack stood up. " Daniel and I are taking the first watch. James, you're assigning the others. We are taking the watch at the entrance of the cave. Teal'c is the second line, in front of this chamber." Teal'c nodded and followed them out.




*************** 8




" What are we gonna do today?" Daniel asked after he woke up and walked out of the cave. Jack was standing there with the other COs and Sam. Teal'c was helping Lt.Sinclair unpack the M.A.L.P. The awake members of the other SG teams went hunting. " Morning, Danny boy" Jack greeted him cheerfully. " What happened?" Daniel asked Sam whispering. " Nothing in particular" Sam shook her head. " He was so as he woke up this morning."

" Okay, let's work!"

" What?"

" We are gonna spend Christmas here" Sam started to explain. " For the celebration we do need a tree and all the decoration."

" Jack is planning to spend Christmas here?"

" Yes, Daniel" Jack answered his query. " I'm really sorry, I know that this would have been your first Christmas together with Janet, but Dad won't arrive till the 24th on Earth and who knows when they are coming for us."

" I see. But I don't wanna give up that quick."

" Go and take a look around" Jack nodded. " Maybe we've missed something, you could find a hint why our GDOs went broken all of a sudden."

" Okay" Daniel nodded. " Take a radio with you and if you're going more than one hour away take someone with you."

" Teal'c?"

" Exactly" Jack nodded. " All right, Jack."

" Daniel, I'm really sorry…"

" It isn't your fault, Jack, but thank you, I do appreciate your sympathy."




***************




" Jack, come in!"

" Danny boy? Where are you?"

" In the second chamber of the cave. Would you mind to send Sam here and Holly Sinclair, too."

" Okay" Jack agreed and didn't ask the why, he knew when Daniel was ready, he would tell. Sam and Holly entered the second chamber ten minutes later. " Daniel?" Sam looked around, searching for Daniel. " Coming!" Daniel shouted out of a little niche. " What are you doing here? And what are WE doing here?" Sam asked him. " I found something really interesting. Come with me, please!" Sam and Holly followed Daniel and soon they found themselves in a little chamber. Sam looked at Daniel expectingly waiting for an explatnation. " These are The Caves Of Iuveniio. I still don't know who she was, but I know that she was a she."

" And how could you know?" Holly Sinclair asked him. " There are inscriptions on that wall" Daniel pointed towards the far end of the chamber. " What kind of language?" Holly asked. " Greek and Latin."

" Ancients?"

" I don't think so, but I'm not sure. The names are Latin, but the Medio-Passiv is definitely Greek."

" I see" Holly nodded. " What can we do for you?"

" I don't know what these words mean" Daniel showed two signs on the wall. They were rather pictogramms than letters and words. " Oh, this means a riddle" Holly sighed disappointed. " You've seen something like that?"

" Only last month, on P3R-507. It was a riddle we should solve to free us from The Chains of Senioriio."

" The name is similar. Iuveniio is the younger and Senioriio is the elder. What was the riddle?"

" We had to find out how old the captain was. Okay, something like that" she grinned at the looks, she earned from Sam and Daniel. " And?"

" At the end we knew that the king had only got one daughter."

" Can you translate the riddle?"

" I'm not sure. I had help on 507, a native prisoner knew that that was a riddle." Sam and Daniel remained silent till Holly tried to decode the riddle. " I think I've got it" she exclaimed fifteen minutes later. " If we're gonna get home, we should find the Signs Of Love Of Iuveniio."

" And what are these signs?"

" A necklace made of platinum, a bracelet made of naquadah and a brooch made of silver."

" And?" Sam asked. " And?" Holly asked back. " Gold is missing" Sam stated. " Maybe there is no gold on this planet" Daniel said. " Maybe this one" Holly pointed at the little pictogramm, where an elk was depicted and he guarded a little box. Next to the box laid five rings. " And if we'd have find those signs of love?" Sam asked them. " Maybe we'd find something on one of them" Daniel trailed off. He was already planning the trip. " Daniel!" Jack yelled outside the cave. " We are here, Jack!" Daniel yelled back. " What are you doing here?" Jack followed by James Archer entered the chamber. " We found a riddle, sir" Sam answered his query. " What kind of riddle?"

" If we should succeed to solve it, we could go home. Jack pulled a face behind James's back, but then seeing the hope on the faces of the others he tried to seem enthusiastic. " Tell me about the riddle!"

" There are a platinum necklace, a naquadah bracelet and a silver brooch. We have to find them."

" I see. But you know we shouldn't tell the others, what if they didn't mean our pass to home, or we couldn't find them" Jack suggested and earned three nods of agreement. " But how could we search through the whole area alone?" Daniel asked. " I've got it!" James' eyes twinkled. " We should start a scavenger hunt."

" Good idea!" Jack grinned at him. " It keeps us busy, too."

" Me and Teal'c will place the items today" James volunteered. " Okay, then it's a scavenger hunt."




*************** 7




" No teams?" Jack asked. " Only pairs and we'll draw names from a hat" James showed up the papers with the names on it. " NO!" Jack protested vehemently. " Why not?" James looked at him questioniaa captain gets paired?" Jack asked back half seriously. " Okay then I'll pair you" James wasn't surprised at all. Jack was a good observer, and he knew that his secret is safe by Jack. " Any wishes?"

" Sam" Jack whispered. " It's so obvious, Jack" James said teasingly. " I don't mind" he shook his head. " Okay, then you will go with Sam and Daniel Jackson is going with Holly."

" And what are you going to tell them?"

" That I draw the names" James shrugges" James s" That I drees shrugges" James shrugged his shoulders. Jack and James left the chamber and went out to the waiting teams. Jack went to Sam and James stood next to Teal'c. " There are twenty-five items placed in a ten miles radius. You can find the items listed. We recommend that you get your sleeping bag and spend the night out. It's fun and we all need a change. Winner is who has got the most of the twenty-five items and is back first."

" What's the prize?"

" A wish will be granted. Let's the fun begin. I'll tell you the pairings."

" We can choose our own partner, Colonel!" Holly stated. " I'm going with Dr Jackson."

" All right" James nodded, hiding his satisfaction. " I'm going with Major Carter" Jack hurried to state. " If she wants too, of course."

" Yes, sir" Sam flashed that special smile at him, which she reserved for Jack. " Teal'c and me await you back tomorrow. Have fun and good luck!" James waved after the ten pairs, then placed an amused look at the Jaffa. " We can proceed now, Teal'c."




***************




" I hope you don't mind that I'm your partner, Major."

" No, sir. Absolutely not" Sam shook her head. " What's the first item?"

" A painting by Lt.Colonel James Archer" Sam looked down on her list. " Don't kidding?"

" No, sir. And it pictures six laying geese."

" He made it!" Jack laughed loud. " I bet him he couldn't find the "sixth day's gift". You know from the song."

" I know" Sam nodded, smiling. " And he made ten pictures?"

" Seems to me" Sam giggled. Not far from Sam and Jack, Daniel and Holly were looking for item No.2. They had already found "the painting". " What's next?" Daniel asked Holly as he picked up a standard military issue raincoat. It was well hidden behind a bush, between two tree trunks. " Find a feather of a partridge. Dr Jackson?"

" Yes?" Daniel asked back absent-mindedly, he was looking for the jewels, descripted in the riddle. " Do you mind that I'm your partner?"

" No" Daniel looked at her and shook his head genuinely. " But why did you choose me?"

" You're married."

" I see" Daniel nodded. " Gossip or jealousy?"

" Both" Holly smiled gently. " We better skip the feather, what else's on that list?"

" A backpack, binoculars, compass…"

" I can see a pattern here" Daniel grinned. " Well, they didn't have many options" Holly shrugged her shoulders. " Dr Jackson, come in!" Major Ferretti voice came through the radio. " Daniel Jackson, here. What's wrong, Major?"

" Dr Jackson, we found another cave, it was full of carcass and a little wooden box laid not far from the entrance. It wasn't at the list, so I thought you might be interested. There is something in the box. "

" Of course I'm interested" Daniel said hastily. " Where are you?"

" We have just crossed the stream."

" Which direction?"

" We can see the top of the Gate."

" Please, stay there. We'll be there in ten. Jackson over and out."

" Okay, Ferretti over and out."




*************** 6




Gunny O'Leary and Major Ferretti won the scavenger hunt. They found twenty items and that wooden box. The true winner was Dr Daniel Jackson, because the others found all the jewels mentioned in the riddle. Major Crane and Sgt. Mike Wayne found the naquadah bracelets. Sam and Jack brought the platinum necklace. Cpt. Jesse Osborne and Lt. Sasha Shaw found the silver brooch. In the wooden box found by Major Ferretti and Gunny O'Leary were five golden rings and Lt.Colonel Archer was very pleased that Jack let him sing the song, because he managed to bring the six laying geese into the game. " Daniel? Sinclair?" Jack and James approached the Jewel Chamber, as Daniel dubbed the second chamber, where the riddle was depicted. " We are here, sir" Holly poked her head out and smiled at them. " Could you figure out something?" Jack asked them. " No" Daniel shook his head sadly. " I'm sorry, Daniel. We need Lt. Sinclair outside if you could do without her."

" I'm going with you, Jack" Daniel followed them out. " Daniel!" Sam ran to him. " Hurry up!"

" Why?"

" The M.A.L.P. is working and Janet is …" Daniel didn't wait till Sam could end the sentence, he ran to the M.A.L.P. " Janet!" he shouted and sighed deeply as he saw her smiling. " She can't hear you, but you can hear her" Sam informed him. " She only sees you."

" I love you" Daniel mouthed and Janet's eyes lit up. " I love you, too. General Hammond wants to speak to Colonel O'Neill." Daniel only nodded and asked for paper and pen. " Sir" Jack bowed his head. " Are you all right, Colonel?" Jack nodded and formed a circle with his thumb and index finger. " We aren't able to dial out. To nowhere. I hope that Jacob is going to be successful to come through." Jack nodded and looked at Sam, who was very disappointed. " All right, I'll give Dr Fraiser again. She has got something to tell."

" Thanks" Jack nodded again and let Daniel into view. He held up the paper, which read : " Give Cass a hug from me."

" Sure" Janet nodded. " Give me Sam."




***************




" Teal'c come in!"

" Teal'c here" came the deep voice of the Jaffa. " What's up?"

" O'Neill you had asked the same question five minutes ago."

" I'm boring my brain out of my head, buddy. Give me something interesting."

" The gate is getting reactivated."

" I didn't ask for a joke, Teal'c" Jack said offended, that Teal'c wants to get rid of him such a lousy way. " I am completely serious, O'Neill!"

" RUN!" Jack yelled, but his advice came late, Teal'c and Gunny O'Leary already ran for cover. Jack waved Sam there after he couldn't bear the tension anymore. " It was five minutes ago, Sam" he said worriedly. " Don't worry" Sam placed her hand on his shoulder. Jack nodded in appreciation. " Teal'c and the gunny are the best warriors I've ever met."

" Should I be offended, Major?" Jack asked back. " No, sir" Sam shook her head, giggling. " No giggling, Ma…"

" O'Neill, come in!" came Teal'c's voice. " What the hell are you doing!? You scared the hell out of me!"

" SG-4 and SG-7 are here."

" Give me Powell!"

" Major Powell, sir!"

" Powell, what the hell are you doing here?"

" I dunno, sir. We dialled Earth, sir."

" And what about SG-7?"

" They were with us, sir."

" Okay, Teal'c should lead you here. O'Neill out."

" Powell out" Major Sidney Powell handed back the radio to Teal'c. " He said, that you should lead us to them."

" Follow me, please!" Jack turned to face his companions. " SG-4 with SG-7 are here" he announced. " You could ask them to wear your swimming swans, James."

" Oh, sir, he already convinced US" Lt.Sinclair pulled out the little pin on which head a swimming swan was depicted, as an unmistakable sign of Lt.Colonel Archer's talent. Jack only shook his head as the four members of SG-3 pinned up the swans on their BDUs. But as Daniel and Sam did the same, he was stunned. They wore it with such dignity, that he asked for James' pin.




*************** 5




" I'd like to ask you something, Jack" James sat down next to Jack, who was taking his watch. It was not long before sunrise. " Yes?"

" What are we gonna do all day? My men are loosing the nerves, they can't handle this" James told him. " I know, Crane informed about that fight already."

" What are we gonna do?"

" Any suggestions?"

" We should try with Activity, sir" Sam chirped in. " Major, you should sleep by now" Jack looked at her narrow eyes, as she tried to shield them from the light. " I can't sleep, sir" Sam said. " Activity?" Jack asked her. " Yes, sir. It could be very funny."

" James?"

" Why not? Everything is better than doing nothing."

" Okay, than it's Activity" Jack decided. " We should keep it competitive. What do you think?"

" You are right" James nodded in agreement. " Sam?" Sam hid her astonishment that he called her Sam in front of James Archer, then she nodded. " I think you are right, sir."

" Good, I'll go to the gate, you are taking my watch?"

" Sure, sir" Sam smiled at him. After Jack left James pulled out his knife and handed it to Sam together with a piece of wood. " How is the board doing?"

" Teal'c will be ready tomorrow. Sam, you shouldn't do this alone."

" But, sir, it's my present. You and Teal'c could help me with the board, but the chessmen are my task."

" Jack asked me yesterday if I knew how you acquired that cut on your left hand."

" And what did you say?"

" That you wanted to help me with the pins."

" Thank you, sir."

" Sam….?"

" Hm?"

" Why are you doing this?"

" You mean beyond the obvious, sir?" she asked back dryly. " Yes" James smiled at her gently. " Because he has nobody to spend Christmas with. I can't stand the thought that he is alone on Christmas Eve."

" I see" James nodded. " Can I ask you something? You don't need to answer."

" Yes?"

" What are you planning to give her?"

" I don't know, but I still have four days to find out. Jack offered me his help with Dr Jackson if I should need one of the golden rings" he smiled bitterly. " And?"

" Sam, she is a beautiful, young woman who doesn't need a man like me."

" Let her decide on this, sir."

" You know you could call me James, Sam."

" Let her decide on this, James."

" What do you think about my chances?"

" She wore your swimming swan pin, James. I think this tells everything."

" You did it, too."

" Only to be loyal to her" Sam confessed. " And to make him grin" she grinned at James. " I see. Thank you" James grinned, then left her with her bishop to work on.




***************




" It's a simple version of Activity" Jack started to explain. " Major Sam Carter and Major Eve Cox are the two captains. You can choose your team, majors."

" Who is first?"

" Throw a coin" James suggested. " Good idea! Who has a coin?" Jack asked very sarcastically. " Actually, sir, I've got one" Lt. Holly Sinclair told him. " It's always on my backpack."

" Would you borrow us your coin, Lieutenant?"

" Of course, sir" Holly nodded and ran back to her backpack. " Okay" Jack nodded after Holly handed him the coin. " You choose your team and your team makes a little brainstorming. Write down your ideas and then choose one. Call over a person from the other team, whisper him or her the phrase or word and let him or her do the rest. Got it?"

" Yes" came the answer in unison. Jack threw the coin and Sam was first to choose. " I choose Teal'c" she said and James nodded as she looked at him, after she saw hurt on Jack's face. Teal'c was a good choice. Sam went through an inner debate before she chose. "Pick Daniel and you make the man you love hurt. Pick said man and everybody says you are in love with him. Pick James and not only your teammates are hurt, but the people think that you're not in love with your CO and you've fallen for his best friend, though you know that he is in love with you. They would tell you are a bitch." So she chose Teal'c. " I choose Major Powell" Major Cox named the leader of SG-4, as her first choice. " Colonel O'Neill" Sam went on and noticed how glad Jack was now. " Lt. Chou." The two teams were finally gathered and they started to think out the hardest things to explain by handsigns. Sam got SG-6 and SG-3 on her side, and some people of SG-2 and SG-7. " The Truth Is Out There?" Teal'c asked, looking at Sam to give her agreement. " It's very hard to explain, Teal'c" Sam said then a grin crossed her face. " That's why we'll take it." Teal'c smiled a half smile at Sam, and Jack grinned at their interaction. " Don't say it, James!" he stopped his friend before he could even speak. " We don't take the "eight maids a-milking"."

" Why not?"

" It's too obvious, sir. And besides it's too easy to explain" came the sentence from Holly. And James gave in. " We're ready, Sam!" Major Cox called over. " Okay!" Sam yelled back and she repeated their own rules once again. " Who is the first from you?" Eve asked her. " Me" she volunteered. " The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill, But Came Down A Mountain" Eve whispered in her ear. " I see" Sam nodded and then turned to her team. She showed first ten fingers, then two. " Twelve words?" Jack asked and she nodded. She held up her thumb and index finger to signal that now comes the second word. She tried to mirror a prototype of a gentleman. She showed that she had a hat on her head and that she carried a cane. She then pulled on her imaginary bow tie and tried to make a snobish face. " A gentleman?" Holly asked and she nodded, then waved that she should go further this direction. " An Englishman?" Jack asked and nodded hastily. After less than three minutes Holly with Jack's assitance found out the movie title. The time limit was set by three minutes. Major Sidney Powell arose next and he tried to explain to his team the saying "in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king". They found out this one in less then two minutes.




*************** 4




" The Activity Party was a success, Sam."

" Because they picked up the eight maids a-milking?" Sam asked him giggling. " A new cut?" he asked back teasingly. " Yes, Ja… uhmm Colonel O'Neill asked me about it already."

" And?"

" I lied to him" she shrugged her shoulders. James only smiled at the sight of her hand. She had cuts on most of her fingers and even on her palm. " How many are ready?"

" All the white ones and I'm done with all the black pawns and with the black queen. You wanna see?"

" Yeap" he nodded. The first sun was rising and Sam was working on her christmas present for Jack. Everybody was sound asleep, she took not only Holly's, but James' and Daniel's watch. " You should sleep, Sam" James stated, as he took the chessmen from Sam. " They are really good" he smiled at Sam. The chessmen were very simple, but charming. " You think?"

" Absolutely, and I think under the given circumstances they are fabolous!"

" Thanks."

" But you should go to sleep now."

" I'm not tired, James. We don't do anything all day, how could I even be?"

" Well, you are right, but…"

" I'm not tired, James. Thanks. Ouch!!!"

" What should I tell Jack this time?" he smiled indulgently. " I dunno" Sam replied, sucking on her finger. " What are you doing here?" Major Ferretti asked them, making Sam jump. " Ferretti, for God's sake! You've scared the hell out of us!" James snapped at him. " Sorry, Colonel! Sam?"

" Please, don't tell Jack!"

" What?"

" This" Sam showed him the ready chessmen. " You made them?"

" Yeap" Sam nodded briefly. " Whoa!" he exclaimed in appreciation. " They are really good. Do you want me to show you something?"

" What?"

" A flower from which petals you could win a very deep shade of red. Maybe it would be good for the black ones."

" Really?"

" Really. But you should pack up, I saw that Jack was already awake, he was chatting with Daniel Jackson as I left."

" Thanks" Sam smiled at him gratefully and then packed up her belongings. Jack stepped out of the cave two minutes later. " Everybody ready for the Second Round?"

" Yes, sir!" the three sprang to attention. " What were you three doing here this early in the morning?"

" It was my watch, sir. The Major and the Colonel only came to keep me company."

" A new cut?" Jack's noticed the fresh wound on her hand " Yes, sir."

" What have you done this time?"

" Something on the M.A.L.P. was very sharp."

" I see" Jack nodded, but Sam saw he didn't buy it.




***************




" Hey guys!!!" came Daniel's voice from a good distance. " Hey, Danny boy!" Jack yelled back. " You would never guess what we had found in the forest!"

" Nine dancing ladies?" James asked, yelling. " NOOO!" Daniel's voice was now louder, as he appraoched the clearing, where the others were already gathered around the camp-fire. He and Gunnery Segeant O'Leary went on a partridge hunt after lunch. " What is it?" Jack asked him, as he stepped out of the forest. " See yourselves" Daniel smiled broadly, as he led a deer onto the clearing. " Hey, why is his nose that swollen?" Holly asked. " There was a thorn in his nose. I pulled it out, and the gunny held him tight. But I think he needs a doctor."

" Well, we've got doctors" Jack joked. " I meant doctor doctors, no scientists, Jack" came Daniel's dry reply. " I know, Danny boy. And we've got three doctors now" Jack grinned at him and stood aside to let Daniel see who was standing behind him before. " Janet!!!" Daniel ran to his wife and hugged her tight. Janet buried her head into his shoulders and for a minute she let herself lost in his embrace. As they looked up again, they met 36 pairs of eyes. " Why are you here? Who is with Cass?" Daniel wanted to know. " She is with General Hammond, hopefully. I was asked to gate after SG-12. They were on PXY-887."

" How is Tonani?" Jack asked her. " He is sending his best wishes to you" Janet smiled at the members of SG-1. " And?" Sam asked her. " And we were dialling home, but got out here."

" But why?" Sam asked herself. She already thought over the possibilities why SG-4 and SG-7 landed here, but couldn't find an explanation. " I think the only way to get home is through this planet" Janet shrugged her shoulders. " But why?"

" I don't know, Sam, you are our wormhole expert. And now I'd like to take a look at the deer. We've got some antiseptic in our bag. Lieutenant, please, bring me my bag."

" Yes, Ma'am!"

" His name is Rudolph" Daniel announced and he earned some glances from Janet and Jack. " What?" he asked back, going into defensive. " He has a very shiny nose" he shrugged his shoulders. " Come with me" Janet almost ordered him, and he followed her. The others let them their private moment. " Okay, where were we?"

" It was our turn, sir."

" Ah, yes. I'm taking this one" he stood up and went to James. This time he and James were the captains. " A knight in shining armor" James whispred into his ear. " I see" he nodded and turned back to his team. As Janet and Daniel was back they won this round again. " Another one?" Jack offered. " It's getting boring, sir" came Ferretti's genuine reply. " I know" Jack sighed. " We could do a karaoke contest" Janet suggested and she had to face 36 pairs of eyes again. " Forget about it!" she waved the idea away. " No, no" Jack shook his head. " It's a good idea" he smiled at Janet. " Really?" Janet asked the others, and they nodded in agreement. " But to hear 37 songs would take a lot of time" Sam interjected. " Yes, but we could sing in pairs or in groups." Soon the groups were formed and the songs chosen. Sam and Janet chose Ain't No Mountain High Enough from Diana Ross. Daniel and Teal'c chose New York, NewYork from Frank Sinatra. James convinced Holly to sing with him, and they chose Lean On Me. Major Ferretti teamed up with SG-3 and they wanted to sing Jailhouse Rock from The King. At the end Jack was left alone, and he looked very lost, till Sam promised him to sing a song with him, too. " Which one?"

" Do you have any ideas, sir?"

" Actually I have" he nodded. " What about Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas?"

" Really?"

" If you don't want…"

" No,it's not that. It's one of my favourites, sir. I'd be pleased to sing it with you."

" Thanks." Four young female lieutenants opened the contest with their Tina Turner imitation. They sang Simply The Best. Sam and Jack were the last ones to sing, before them Ferretti and the Marines sang the Jailhouse Rock and it was so good, that the female officers took the chance and asked the men for a dance. James Archer danced with Sam, and as she mentioned that there are nine female soldiers on the dancefloor James couldn't help but laugh out loud. He was very proud that he could sing with Holly together. " C'mon, Major, it's our turn" Jack pulled Sam away from James. Ferretti and Marines won the contest. Silver went to Daniel and Teal'c and Bronze to Sam and Janet. But only Sam and Jack were asked to sing their song again.




*************** 3




" Sam?" Holly stepped out of the cave. " I'm here" Sam called back quietly. " What's wrong?"

" I'm working on my Christmas Project" she replied. " You should sleep" Holly suggested. " I can take your watch now."

" You are sounding like Archer, you know."

" Sam?"

" Hmm?"

" Do you think that … No, forget about it!"

" He loves you, I know" came the answer to the unquestioned query. " How could you know?"

" Holy Hannah! Have you ever seen him to look after you? When he talks to you he touches you. What more signs do you want?"

" I'm only a lieutenant and so inexperienced."

" He loves you, Holly."

" Do you think that I should say yes?"

" Yes??? To what?"

" He asked me to marry him yesterday."

" When? How? Where?"

" After the contest. He knelt down and in the forest."

" And?"

" And I asked him to let me think about it."

" How could you be so cruel, Holly?"

" C'mon, Sam! He didn't say that he loved me."

" For what else should he want to marry you?"

" I dunno. But he didn't tell."

" I see" Sam sighed. " But you love him" she stated. " Of course" Holly nodded, blushing. " Then say yes. I know he loves you. Maybe you should tell him first."

" How?"

" Say yes and then tell him why."

" That simple?"

" Isn't love that simple?"

" You are right" Holly sighed and then went for a walk. Ten minutes later James stepped out of the cave. " Hi, Sam. What are you doing?"

" Cutting my hand" she giggled and showed him her new wound. " What do you plan to tell Jack?"

" That I wanted to break a bough and it cut my palm."

" May I offer my support?"

" That would be nice, James. She went that way" she smiled at him, as she noticed that his gaze was searching for something. " Thanks, Sam."

" Not at all" she smiled again, before she returned to the black king. " Hi, Sam!" Janet greeted her five minutes later. " Boy, you scared me!" she complained. " What are you doing here, hun?"

" My Christmas Project."

" You are making chessmen?"

" Yes."

" For Jack?"

" Yes."

" Why?"

" You know the why, Janet. Don't ask stupid questions."

" But everyone will know."

" I don't care anymore. I love him and if it should be a problem, then I'll ask for my transfer."

" What???"

" Don't worry, Janet. They cannot afford to loose me."

" Yes, but they could tell you to quit. Would you?"

" I don't know. If he loves me so much as I love him, then yes."

" Why?"

" I love him, Janet. It's that simple."

" But why now?"

" He wanted to spend Christmas Eve on the base. Janet, it hurt me so much to see him that lonely."

" I see" Janet came closer and hugged her. " Be careful, Doc, I'm dangerous" Sam joked to ease the tension and she even showed her hand to Janet.




***************




Jack led his little team across the forest. Holly saw something what look liked a village this morning. She didn't dare to take a closer look, but she told James, and he told Jack. Jack gathered eleven men and went out to take a look at that village. He was humming a christmas song, namely All I Want For Christmas Is You. He was just singing "I don't care about presents" as they crossed the little stream, which they already knew, from the scavanger hunt. Jack and James went through the stream, but the others searched for a narrow part and leapt over the stream. James only grinned at Jack, who wasn't in the picture right then. He looked questioningly at his friend, waiting for an explanation. " Ten leaping lords, Jack."

" What?"

" On the tenth day of Christmas my love sent to me ten lords a-leaping."

" And?"

" Jack, are you all right?"

" Completely. Oh, the song! I see" he nodded, grinning absent-mindedly. " Jack?"

" Everything is peachy. Don't worry."

" Something is wrong, Jack."

" Why should be?"

" Because you are so different."

" I'm only happy."

" You can't be. If only… No, you couldn't!"

" Of course I can."

" Jack, you tried this before."

" Yeah, but no one can change my mind now."

" Don't you think that that step would be very stupid? She would still work in the SGC and you couldn't see her for weeks!"

" I know" he sighed. " But what else can I do?"

" You could do nothing. Let her do this for you."

" I couldn't let her to give up on her career."

" She needn't. They cannot afford to loose her."

" But they'd want her to quit."

" You think?"

" I know" Jack nodded.




*************** 2




" O'Neill, come in!"

" Teal'c?"

" Are you all right?"

" Yes. We are going to go back to the camp."

" Sir?"

" Sam?"

" Yes, it's me. Holly found something on one of the rings, we need Daniel here."

" We are back in an hour.The villagers still want us as their friends and we need Daniel for the ceremony."

" What kind of ceremony?"

" It's about peace and friendship."

" Do you plan a piping session, sir?" Sam asked, giggling. " No giggling, Major! " Jack warned her. " But James would be more then pleased if we had to."

" Eleven pipers, sir. Don't allow him to make something stupid" Holly took over the radio. " I'll keep an eye on him, Lieutenant."

" Thank you, sir."

" O'Neill over and out" Jack said then replaced his radio into his backpack. " Daniel, how long will this ceremony take?"

" I don't know. Why?"

" Lt.Sinclair found something interesting on one of the rings."

" Really?" Daniel got excited. " Sam just told me."

" I'll see what I can do."

" Thanks" Jack nodded. He always hated those ceremonies.




***************




Meanwhile at their campsite the women got bored. " I've got an idea!" Janet smiled mischieviously. " Janet!" Sam said with a warning undertone. " What? It's an old play, Cass and her friends played it last month on her birthday party."

" Spin the bottle?" Lt. Sasha Shaw asked. " Daniel is not here and I'm not kissing anyone else."

" Truth or dare" Sam stated, sighing. " Why not?"

" Yes, why not?" Lt.Chou asked her. " I'm not spoiling the game, if you want then I'm in, too."

" Ladies?" Janet asked them and they were all agreed. " Okay, since it was Janet's idea, she's gonna be asked first" Sam said, grinning. " Truth or dare, Dr Fraiser?" Lt.Dr Carla Rogers asked Janet. " Let me tell you this, I'm not kissing anyone else but Daniel. And I don't think that this could be very interested."

" Truth or dare, Janet?" Sam asked her impatiently. " Truth" she decided. " Are you pregnant, Dr Fraiser?" Janet looked at Sam silently asking for her forgiveness and then nodded. " Yes."

" Really?" Sam asked her. " Really" Janet nodded. " Although I'd only found out a week ago."

" I see" Sam nodded with an understanding smile. " Your turn, Janet."

" Truth or dare, Major Cox?"

" Truth."

" What did you do on your eighteenth birthday?" Major Cox blushed deeply and everybody smiled as a forty-somewhat woman was getting embarassed. " Can I take Dare?"

" No" Janet shook her head hastily. " Uhm, okay. I kissed the Principal of my high school."

" Were you in school?" Lt.Young asked her. " It wasn't the question, Lieutenant" Janet warned her. " Your turn, Major Cox."

" Truth or dare, Lt. Tate?"

" Dare" Jenny Tate answered her CO's question. " Are you sure?" Lt.Chou asked her teasingly. " You could get court-martialed."

" Hey, I'm not her CO now!" Major Cox said offended. " Sorry, Ma'am, I was only joking with the lieutenant!" Lt.Chou backed off. " Nevermind" Major Cox waved back her excuse. " Lieutenant, I dare you to ask Colonel O'Neill how the Stargate works." Everybody looked at Sam, even the men, who Jack left behind to guard the camp and in-between sat down next to the women. Lt. Tate nodded and then looked at Sam if she was offended. All she could see was a little smile playing on Sam's lips. " Your turn, Lt.Tate" Janet told her. " Truth or dare, Alissa?" she asked Lt.Young. " Truth" the young linguist of SG-4 smiled at her. She was trusting her friendship with Jenny. " Have you ever kissed a colonel or an officer of a higher rank than colonel? You have to tell the name and the rank, too."

" Can she demand that? " Yes"Janet nodded. " Jenny, I'll kill you!"

" You chose the truth-question" Jenny shrugged her shoulders. " Yes, I kissed an officer of a higher rank" Alissa confessed. " He is a four star general and I'm not telling his name. He was only a brigadier general as I kissed him."

" You have to tell his name!" Joan Chou demanded. " He is in the JCS now. Is it enough?"

" A member of the JCS? Who is it?"

" General Zentay" Alissa finally gave in. " A sailor?" Joan asked her. " He is a very good kisser" Alissa defended her choice. " But he is a sailor!" Joan teased her further. The others were laughing loud. " Your turn, Alissa" Janet delivered her from her embarassment. " Thank you, Dr Fraiser."

" Truth or dare, Major Carter?"

" Dare" Sam earned an applause from the men for her brave decision. " I dare you, Major Carter, to kiss every male officer of a higher rank than a captain."

" She can be court-martialed for this" Joan said quietly. " Not if she is doing it under the mistletoe" Janet suggested. " Janet!!!"

" There is mistletoe on this planet?" Lt. Dr Carla Rogers asked. " Nothing like that" Major Cox shook her head. " But we will name one of those we have here. And Dr Fraiser could hang them up all around the camp.She did it very nicely in the infirmary."

" Really, Janet?"

" I thought that Daniel would be home for Christmas" Janet shrugged her shoulders.




*************** 1




Lt. Tate was stunned. She was standing in front of Colonel O'Neill and he held her a little lecture about wormholes and dimensions in time and space. " Got it?" Colonel O'Neill asked her as he ended. " Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

" Not at all, Lieutenant. I'm glad I could help you."

" Thanks again, sir" Lt.Tate went to the women gathered just in front of the cave. " How many times did you explain him that, Major?" she asked Sam, grinning. " Ten, twelve? I don't remember."

" God, he knew your every word! It was even for me hard to follow him. Although the worm in the apple was a really good metaphor, Major."

" Well, thank you" Sam smiled at her. " Sam?"

" What do you want? I'd already kissed Major Ferretti. Poor man, he thought I'd last my mind."

" And?"

" And Major Powell was really perplexed as I took him by surprise. Although he already knew that we played truth or dare yesterday."

" Who told him?"

" Me" Major Cox confessed. " But he promised me to not tell anyone."

" He didn't do" Holly reassured Sam. " Jim haven't heard anything. I had to tell him" she said defensively. She chose dare and her dare was to ask Teal'c to teach her how to shoot with a staff weapon. " Why?"

" Because it's very hard to hit the target. And I wanted to keep him out of range of fire."

" I see" Lt. Shaw nodded. " You still have to kiss six men, Sam" Janet reminded her. " Thank you, Janet, but I can count myself. And it's only four, because I won't kiss James and because I kissed Major Crane already."

" Really?"

" Really" Sam nodded and remembered Jack's hurt face, as he noticed that she was there kissing Major Crane. " And who is the best kisser?" Lt. Shaw asked her. " You don't think that I'm kissing them fully, do you?" Sam asked back. " I'm only giving a peck on their lips, that's what you do under the mistletoe." Everybody laughed and then spred into different directions. They had a lots of things to do. The tree had to be decorated and the cave, too. Holly and Daniel were translating the inscription on the ring. Major Cox and Lt.Tate were cooking the meal. " Sam, can I talk to you for a moment?" James asked her. " Of course" Sam nodded. Jack looked after them jealousy fogging his mind. He couldn't understand Sam now. She was kissing other men. " Sam, what the hell are you doing?"

" It was a truth or dare" she confessed. " And I chose Dare."

" And?"

" I have to kiss every male officer of higher rank than a captain."

" Does this mean that you're gonna kiss Jack too?"

" I'll only kiss him" Sam said quietly. " I only gave a peck on their lips."

" What about me?" James asked her. " Sorry, but I promised Holly to delete you from the list."

" Thank God" James sighed. " I don't wanna face a rageous Jack O'Neill. Are you ready with the chessmen?"

" Only one rook is missing, but I'll be ready for tomorrow. What about Teal'c?"

" He is ready with the board. I helped him to colour the black fields. It's a nice colour. What's that???!!!"

" I think you should go and take a closer look, James."

" Where are those drums coming from?" he asked, as he went back to the clearing."

" Holly and Daniel went back to ask the natives for drums. After all we knew that they have eleven pipes. And that they are sounding very good" she grinned at James. " I wonder how many times will you remind me on this."

" As much as we can, sir" Sam sprang to attention. " You know they haven't had twelve drums."

" I thought so. Eleven is their holy number."

" So Holly and Teal'c made one."

" Really?"

" Really. Go and ask her!" Sam pushed her to Holly.




***************




" Sam, how many are left?"

" Only Colonel O'Neill" Sam informed Janet. " Have you already told Daniel?"

" No, I'll tell him tomorrow."

" Janet!"

" What? I wanted to tell him under the christmas tree."

" Okay."

" And what about your Christmas Project?"

" It's almost done. And Teal'c is ready with the board."

" I don't have anything to give Daniel."

" Are you crazy? You've got the baby. That's more than enough."

" You think?"

" Absolutely."

" Sam, he is coming here. And boy he is angry!"

" I have to kiss him now! Janet, where is the nearest "mistletoe"?"

" Two steps right."

" Thanks" Sam sighed after she stepped two steps left. She looked around, nobody was around. " Major Carter, can I talk to you?" Sam winced at the Major Carter. In the last few days, Jack only called her by rank if someone else was around. And he didn't care if Daniel ,Teal'c, Janet or James could hear it. " Yes, sir" she replied obediently. " Why are you…?" he started, but couldn't end his question, because Sam placed her arms around his neck and pulled him down. She captured his lips with her owns and kissed him deeply, passionately. Jack kissed back and they stood there in each others arms for an eternity. " Sam?" he asked her quietly. " Yes, …Jack?" she asked back. " Why did you kiss me?" Sam looked up and couldn't see the "mistletoe". She assumed that either Janet tricked her or she was so nervous that she stepped to the wrong direction. She knew that she had to tell the truth anyway. " Because I wanted" she shrugged her shoulders. " And why did you kiss the others?"

" Because I had to" she giggled and told him about their game. " I see" Jack nooded relieved. " Are you mad at me?"

" I was, before you kissed me" he confessed, still holding her. " We should go back to our tasks."

" I know" Jack sighed and let off of her. Then he suddenly pulled her back into his embrace and kissed her in a way that told Sam that he loved her. She kissed back and hoped that Jack knew that she was in love with him, too.




*************** Christmas Eve




" Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells…" On the day of Christmas Eve everybody was singing traditional christmas songs and carols. From the ceremonial to the funny ones. Gunnery Sergeant O'Leary's "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" was a hit. The text was very funny. He had to repeat it at least five times. Jack allowed James to sing the "Twelve Days Of Christmas" once again and everybody sang with him. In the evening all SG teams went back to the cave and they sang christmas carols and told christmas stories. Daniel and Janet left the cave first. Janet wanted to tell Daniel that she was pregnant, and Daniel wanted to be alone with her. James and Holly left not long after them. James held one of the five rings in his hand and Holly wanted to gave him the best present at all: her yes. Jack took Sam's hand into his in the darkness of the cave. Some time after Daniel and Janet left Sam squeezed his hand and stood up to go out. Jack soon followed her. Nobody seemed to notice their departure. Sam led him to a big tree and pulled him down next to her. Jack sat behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. They sat there in silence no one wanted to move or break the spell with talking.

" Jack?" Sam whispered. " Yes, sweetheart?" Jack asked back. Sam blinked back that tear and then turned in his embrace to see his face. " Jack, I love you" she whispered and searched his eyes for the answer before he could speak. His eyes spoke volumes, and before he could tell a word she kissed him hungrily. " Stop it, Sam!"

" Why?"

" I wanna tell you something."

" What?"

" I love you, Sam."

" But?"

" But we couldn't do this."

" Sam, Sam, are you okay?" Jack called him the third time. " Yes, I had only a vision."

" What kind of vision?" he fastened his arms around her waist. " Nevermind. I could sit here like this forever."

" Sam?"

" Yes, sweetheart?"

" Sam, I love you." Sam blinked back the tears and kissed him hungrily. " I love you, Jack" she whispered. " I have something for you" she smiled mystiriously. " What?"

" I'm gonna tell you from where I got all those wounds. Merry Christmas, Jack" she placed the chessboard and the little bag with the chessmen in his hands. " What is this?"

" See yourself." Jack opened the bag and as both moons were already up he could see Sam's present. " Sam?"

" I know they aren't perfect, but they are made by me."

" All of them?"

" Yes. The board was made by Teal'c. And Ferretti showed me the flower which gave the colour."

" What kind of colour is this?"

" Let this be a surprise for tomorrow, Colonel" she took the bag from him and wrapped his arms around her waist again. " Jack?"

" Hmmm?"

" We wanna stay here?"

" No, we don't" he shook his head. " I'm still working on a solution."

" There is only one. I'll quit the Air Force. We can still work together and yet be together as lovers."

" Sam, I won't let you to give up on your career!"

" Jack, believe me, I'm doing this for us, therefore it's no sacrifice."

" I know, but I still won't let you to do this."

" What will Daniel and Teal'c say?"

" I informed them already. They wished us good luck and all the happiness of the world."




***************




" Colonel O'Neill, come in!" Jack looked down at his atch, on Earth it was still Christmas Eve, but here the first sun was already rising. " What's up, Gunny?" Jack stood up and went away from Sam. But she was already awake. " Sir, the gate is getting reactivated."

" Who is it?"

" Wait a moment, sir!" Gunny O'Leary whispered into the radio. " It's General Carter, sir" came the information one minute later. " Lead him here, please" Jack asked him. " Of course, sir" the gunny agreed and asked Jacob to follow him. " Dad is here, Sam."

" I know" Sam nodded. " If you don't wanna say him right now, I'd…"

" No, I want him to know that his girl is the happiest woman in this galaxy." Jack kissed him briefly and then woke up everybody. He even called back James and Daniel. " Dad!" Sam ran to him. He hugged her and then examined her eyes. That usual sadness wasn't there anymore and he knew that something should happened between his little girl and that stubborn Colonel. " Could someone tell me why am I here? And where is here anyway?"

" You are coming from the Tok'ra Home Planet?"

" Yes. I couldn't be there for Christmas Eve, sorry."

" I wasn't there either, Dad" Sam smiled at him, then explained him everything. " What did you say? Iuveniio?"

" Yes. SG-6 already met Seniriio's Chains and now we are trapped here, till we couldn't figure out what Iuveniio wanted from us."

" Did you find the itmes from the riddle?"

" Yes."

" Give me them, please" Selmac took over. " Oh, it's very simple!" Jacob looked down at the ring, Daniel and Holly examined yesterday. " You only have to forge them together."

" How?" Sam asked. " You should heat them, until they are melted together. Then you take the five rings and that metal and open the DHD's lock."

" That simple?"

" Yes."

" Who are these Iuveniio and Seniriio?"

" You might know him as Loki. He has a pupil named Hermes" Selmac explained. " They are testing each other and don't care about people who could fall into one of their traps."

" Loki is from the Norse Gods and Hermes is from Greece" Daniel stated. " Are they Goa'uld?"

" Yes, they are. Sam, I have to talk to you. To you, too, Colonel."

" James, please, take care of the jewels. Sorry Ms Sinclair, but you have to give back the ring for a moment."

" No problem, sir" Holly pulled the ring out of her pocket. It was too big for her anyway. Jacob, Sam and Jack went back towards the gate and Jacob started to speak. " I'm not letting Sam to give up on her career, Colonel."

" You can call me Jack, General. And I won't let it happen either."

" Good that you agree, but I'll decide on this."

" General…"

" Call me Jacob:"

" Jacob, please, talk to her. She wants to quit the Air Force."

" Sam, you cannot do this!"

" Why not?"

" Just because. Sam, please. We'll find another way."

" A secret love affair."

" You know that I don't want that" Jack said hurt. " Sorry, Jack" she caressed his cheek. " I didn't mean it that way."

" Sam, Jack is right. We'll find a way."

" Dad, I can tell you this: I'm not leaving it on this planet. I wanna be with Jack."

" I know" Jacob sighed. " Please, Dad" Sam pleaded. " I'll talk to George and we'll see."

" Thank you, Da…sir."

" I know that you are calling me Dad, Jack. And I don't mind" Jacob grinned at him. " And no back to our recent problem" he turned on his heels and headed back to the others, leaving Sam and Jack to discuss their problem further. " Sam…"

" Everything is said and done, Jack. There is no use. If there is no other possibility then I'll quit."

" Okay" Jack seemingly gave in and only he knew how hard will be to leave his Sam and to leave the whole SGC, after it became his family. But he was willing to take that burden. Sam was a brilliant scientist, but she was also a very good soldier. And he knew, he wouldn't let her to give up that.

*************** Epilogue

" Colonel O'Neill, no objection!" General Hammond reprimanded his 2IC. " I've already borrowed someone from General Tahlmann."

" From NORAD. Another scientist? Sir with all due respect but we don't need another scientist."

" Why couldn't take Holly Sam's place?"

" Because Crane doesn't allow her" Jack told him. " I see. Sir, I happen to agree with Jack."

" Dr Jackson.???"

" We don't need another scientist in this team."

" I'm still the Commanding Officer of this base, gentlemen. I decided and there's no need of objection. Major Carter was a scientist, too."

" Yes, sir. But she was another case."

" Why?"

" She was a very good soldier for the first. Then she became a very good friend."

" And then you fell in love with him" General Hammond stated, hiding his amusement. " Yes, sir, but…"

" Jack, please" he waved back his objection. They stepped into the gate-room, where Teal'c was already checking their F.R.E.D. " Hey, Teal'c, come hear and tell General Hammond that we don't need another teammate!"

" O'Neill?" Teal'c asked back slightly confused. Another movement caught Jack's eyes. There was somebody at the far end of F.R.E.D. " Daniel" he nudged him in the ribs. " What?"

" Our new member is here already."

" Hi, guys!" Sam erected from behind their equipment. Jack and Daniel were stunned and couldn't say a word. General Hammond and Teal'c looked at each other and then laughed loud. Daniel was stoned by the two laughing man, but Jack only had eyes for, Sam. " How could this be?"

" Sam gave me the idea" Genral Hammond shrugged his shoulders. " She told me to get a transfer to NORAD and I figured out the solution soon after. She is listed at NORAD, but I'm borrowing her out for the missions. She can be transferred back after six months. Till that she has got a lab and some work to do topside and she has got a lab and much work to do here beyond."

" But…"

" Your marraige is no problem, Colonel" he reassured him. " But to tell the truth I was hoping for an invitation."

" Only our team and Dr Fraiser was there, sir. But we are planning a dinner this Saturday. You and my Dad are invited, too."

" Good. Then you have a go SG-1!"




THE END

© Joanna

Colonel Joanna O'Neill SG-6 - Search/Rescue