samandjack.net

Story Notes: Reviews and even constructive critism will be appreciated.

Email: ngeldenhuys@wol.co.za

Copyright (c) NG. 2003


THOSE EARLY MORNINGS



The soft cry of a toddler sounded from the baby monitor next to his ear.

Slowly he forced his eyelids open. A small content smile made its way across his face at the sight of the feminine body laying curled up next to him with an arm planted across his naked chest. The woman stirred slightly and in a tired voice whispered in his ear.

"You want me to get this one?"

He stretched himself, turned on his side to kiss his wife's lips and murmured, "Nah it's fine, I'll go. You have a long day tomorrow."

Dark-blue eyes open slightly and a hand cupped his face gently.

"Thanks. You know she sure got you in the palm of her hand."

A small chuckle escaped from deep inside his throat.

"You betcha and I'm enjoying every minute of it."

His fingers tucked a blonde hair string behind his wife's ear.

"Now close your eyes and go back to sleep."

She snuggled up deeper under the blankets and her last words before falling asleep again was "Just don't go falling asleep on the couch again."

Jack kissed her forehead and rolled out of bed, "Yes Mommy. I promise."

He shivered slightly when the cold of the night air made contact with his naked flesh. With a silent curse he shut the bedroom window before grabbing his clothes from the floor where it was discarded the previous night. The memory of how his clothes happened to lay strewn all over caused Jack to grin widely, while dressing himself, before making his way to his daughter's bedroom.

"Hey sweet pee, what's wrong?"

As he entered the brightly decorated room, the first thing he noticed was his little baby girl, almost a spitting image of her mother, standing upright in her crib with tears streaming down her face. Upon seeing her favourite person in the whole world, her dad, entering the room she stretched out her arms to be picked up.

Jack picked her up and wrapped her in a bear hug.

"Talk to daddy. Did you have a nightmare?"

"Monster in my room", the little girl cried in his shoulder.

Making his way around the room Jack made a big pretend of looking in the closet and under the crib.

"See sweetheart, there's no monster. You just had a big scary dream. Wanna go back to bed again?"

As an answer, she just clutched her arms tighter around his neck and shook her head.

"It come back."

Sighing, Jack could not believe his daughter's ability to wrap him around her little finger.

"Want daddy to sleep here tonight?"

"Uhuh"

Sighing again, he remembered the promise he made to his wife, but one look at his beautiful baby girl's face told him that there was no way he would be able to say no to his daughter.

Taking a blanket from the closet, he sat down on the small children's couch on the room. He made himself as comfortable as possible and wrapped the blanket around himself and the little girl that was already fighting a loosing battle against sleep.

"Love you pumpkin", he whispered in her ear.

"Love daddy lots", a small melodious voice whispered back.

It was not long before both parent and child fell fast asleep. That was the image that Sam stumbled upon the following morning. Without saying a word she crossed her arms and leant against the door frame. It was not every day that she had the opportunity to observe her small family in such a serene picture. She closed her eyes briefly and sent a small thank you to the heavens for having given her the most perfect life that any person could ask for.