samandjack.net

Story Notes: SJ Angst/Romance

Season: Future season

Email: ngeldenhuys@wol.co.za


TILL DEATH DO US PART



He sat hunched up against the wall with his elbows supported on his knees and his head resting on his intertwined fingers. Not once did he advert his eyes from the blond-haired beauty that stood only a few feet away from him, gazing out of the window to the outside world of which she was no longer a part.

Shoulder-length hair hid her face from his view, but he did not need the power of sight to know that burning hot tears were slowly making their way down her cheeks. After what appeared to be an eternity she turned away from the window and made her way slowly over to the bed where a lonely overnight bag still laid, waiting for her to finish packing. After all she was expected to stay with friends - former colleagues - until the time of the funeral the following day.

"WHY!"

He did not expect that.

The next words tore right through him, "Damnit Jack! Why! Why!"

Feeling his already broken heart crumbling in his chest he tried to answer but no words were forthcoming. It was the one time that he had no answer, no great comeback line.

"You promised!" There was no mistaken the pain he sensed coming from her. After all a part of him was drenched in it, consumed by the all-powerful stirrings it caused in the deepest darkest corner of his soul.

She suddenly rushed to the nightstand on the opposite side of the bed. It was the side that once belonged to him, the side that she now stroked with her hands at night in a feeble attempt to hold onto his essence in at least some small feeble way.

She stared down at the small wooden stand for a few seconds; a glass of water and two small green tablets was the only decoration. Grabbing the glass she threw it against the wall and screamed with all her might, "You promised that we'd grow old together."

She collapsed in a heap on the ground, crying bitterly, her tears matching the rhythm of the water droplets and glass pieces slowly making their way down the wall.

He lifted himself from his observer post in the corner of the room. Slowly, hesitantly he walked over to her, bent down and allowed one hand to come to a rest a few inches from her. "Sam," he whispered, hoping that in some small way she would be able to feel his presence, that she would be able to draw the necessary strength to carry on, that she would be able to continue only a little longer until such time they were to meet again.

Seconds ticked by and formed into minutes...

Minutes flew by and evolved into hours...

He knew that she was strong and would be able to carry on living. She did not disappoint him. With the palm of one shaking hand she wiped across her eyes, sat up, looked around the room and signed.

"This is it. It is over. How will I be able to carry on living, to draw my next breath, knowing you aren't here at my side anymore."

He knew that the correct words would have been, "You will. It will take time. It will hurt like hell, but eventually you will wake one morning and realize life goes on." He refused to say those words; he was never one to offer a useless lie when he knew the opposite to be the truth.

Whether in some small way the universe played along and allowed her to understand her destiny, her planned future, he would never know.

She took a deep breath, clutched both arms around his middle and shivered slightly. Wiping one more time across her eyes she stood, walked over to her bed and continued the packing in what could only be described as a fevered rush.

"Sam?" he queried. Crossing the distance until he was able to hover just behind her he inquired more softly again, "Are you alright, my love?"

He did not really expect an answer neither did he receive one.

Zipping her bag close she hurried out of the room and shut the door on her history without once looking back. He followed her, clenched fists tugged inside his pockets.

What else was he supposed to do?

As he walked through the puddle of water close to the exit, he stopped once and stared back.

"Not even footprints for a weary soul," he murmured bitterly before leaving his home for what he knew would be the last time.

***

She had been driving in silence for the better part of the hour. She did not bother to concentrate on the road ahead, instead her thoughts was overpowered by the image of one single man. Besides she did not really expect danger so late at night, after all 'their home' was considered the safest place to drive in.

He sat next to her. So close and yet so far removed from the person that had his heart in the palm of her heart. His eyes roamed over her face and her body, he had no idea how long he would be allowed that luxury.

Then it happened. She thought the light was green for her and in one moment of irrationality put her foot down heavy on the petrol.

Car hooters tore through the nightsky...

A truck could be heard scratching across the road surface, trying to break in a desperate attempt to avoid collusion...

A woman screamed hysterically...

Somewhere a baby could be heard crying...

Witnesses would testify later that the noise of metal tearing into metal was the most horrific sound they had ever heard in their lives.

The police was the first to arrive. The ambulance not long afterwards. A seasoned police officer just shook his head and stated solemnly to no one in particular, maybe it was for the benefit of the small crowd that had assembled to stare mesmerized at the blood spattered vehicle, "She had no chance. Poor kid and so soon after her husband's death."

If only he knew. Yet the poor man was not to be blamed for his casual observation. After all there was nobody to bear witness to the conclusion of the so-called tragic story.

Far removed from the crowd, and the remains of the accident, two people stood in silent observation, their hands entwined together.

The woman lifted her head and stared in wonder at the man next to her.

"You came?" she inquired, not quite able to believe the miracle next to her.

He smiled, nodded his head and said, "Yes. Didn't I promise that I will?"

"Yes, but still...this is all so unreal." She turned until she was able to stand face to face with him. Her hand reached out to cup his face. "You are you?" she asked, not quite sure how to state the question.

Her took her hand in both of his, brought his lips gently to her flesh and said, "Yes Sam. I'm here. We promised to stay together until death do us part but in my case I just couldn't part with you no matter what." Turning slightly more serious he inquired, a bit scared as to her possible answer, "Do you blame me?"

Her free hand moved to his chest. Although she was expecting it she was still slightly shocked at the lack of heartbeat she detected. "No. As you said...till death do us part."

Lifting herself on the tip of her toes she brought her forehead to his. "I love you so much," she whispered, renewed tears forming at the corner of her eyes.

"Ditto," he replied.

"Are you ready?" he asked after a few seconds of taking comfort in her presence so close to him. She answered by resting her head on his shoulder, allowing his arms to encircle her.

A bright warming light poured over them and when it faded away there was no evidence to testify that a former Colonel and Major occupied that spot only a inch of time before.