samandjack.net



"Turn to me with frozen lips, your hands are icy cold. Your eyes burn bright against the frost bit sky, you never seem more lovely than you do tonight."

Samantha could of shivered at the reality of her words as she stared outside into the cold winter night. The snow had set in last week, bringing with it a disturbing peace that had settled in her heart.

She looked down at the shifting child in her arms, her little girl snuggling against the blanket that she was bundled in. But she quickly quieted down as Sam rocked back and forth and contiued to sing gently to her as she stared out the window.

"Pale on the horizon, like leaves frozen in the snow. Our two shadows merge inseparably, will time stand still if it's pierced with cold? The more I live, the more I know. What simple is true, I love you."

A gently drift of snow began to fall again and Sam lent back in her rocking chair by the fire and closed her eyes briefly, feeling the warmth of the fire, but the coldness infront of her where he paced. She smiled down at her baby girl and kissed her angelic head gently before she contiued with the pace of rocking back and forth.

"Have it your way Samantha. Live in Denial. I don't care. Goodbye."

That was it, he was gone and with him the coldness went out the door as he closed it behind him. Who was she kidding, she knew it wasn't going to work. She hadn't even tried once Jacqulin was born. All she had cared about was her baby girl and she hadn't let anyone, not even her fiance, touch the little girl that meant more to her than her own breath.

He knew it wasn't his. She'd never admit it, but she hadn't needed to. He knew, not only because of the attributes on the child that where defiantly not his or his wifes, but because of the man that he wished would be forgotten.

"There's a warmth in my heart, it haunts me when your gone, mend me to you side and never let go, say time knows nothing, we'll never grown cold."

A tear rolled down her face, one that fell not because he was gone, but because of the problem that would remain and she feared never getting over it. She opened her eyes as she felt a tissue wipe away her tears and she felt more only flow.

"Please don't cry, Sam."

But she couldn't help it and she tried desperately to follow his order and sniffed. Jacqulin sensed the pain in her mother and began to cry and Sam tried to sooth her as the pain rose in her heart, threatening to spill.

"Let me."

Sam reluctantly let the baby go as her baby was taken from her arms and she looked up in the same awe that she had when he first made himself visable 1 year ago. Her long dead Colonel stood infront of her, cradling his daughter in his arms, whispering soft words as she gurgled happy into his transparent face.

"Sing, Sam." He urged her as jacqulins face grew sleepy as he rocked her back and forth. Sam nodded and as he handed her jacqulin back she sang with an unsteady voice. "The more I live, the more I know, what's simple is true, I love you. Twilight decends on our silhouette, how soon springs comes, how soon spring forgets. I wanna hold time, say it'll never begin, old man winter be our friend, 'cause the more I live, the more I know, what's simple is true, what's simple is true, I love, I love you."

Jacqulin now asleep in her arm, she watched as Jack settled himself infront of her on the window sill and he looked outside into the cold. "Oh Jack-" she said softly, but he silenced her with a look and he nodded in understanding, coming over to her and gently caressing her cheak his touch warm instead of it's expected cold.

"I love you, Sam. I'll always take car of you." He promised her and she nodded and her eyes shut and she fell into sleep knowing that he would spend the night, like every night, sitting at the bay window watching her sleep and watching for anything that might her or his daughter.

"The more I live, the more I know, what's simple is true, what's simple is true, I love, I love you."



~DA END.