samandjack.net

Story Notes: Very small Spoiler for Past and Present relating to something Sam siad in that episode. A case of mistaken identity. Sorry about the lame title but I can't think of anything


Hospital's have always given me the creeps. Touch wood I've never required an extended stay. Dad told me there'd be days like this. Days when you go and visit your best friend and find that she can't remember who you are. After everything we'd been through together.... We joined up at the same time and, being women in a man's world, we tended to band together. Now....she doesn't even know her own name. I had to tell her. We talked for a long time. No, I talked and she listened. If I'm realistic, this whole thing has shaken me a little. I was starting to think we were invincible. I'll have to write to her parents. I know her CO will have already done it, but I think they'll prefer the personal touch....after all they know me. Dad tells me that sometimes I care too much....I tell him to go to hell.

This is a strange country. One moment you're sitting round a table negotiating with these guys the next....they're taking you out to see a public execution. I don't think I'll ever really understand the culture. To be honest, I miss home. I've just clocked up my fiftieth hour in Iraqi air space. I'm tired and I want to go home. Listen, I sound like a wimp, which just isn't like me. I'm the girl who arm wrestles with the guys off duty...and wins. Haven't quite got the hang of the belching contests yet, in fact I think I'll leave that one to the men.

I really need to get outta here, but somehow I've managed to get myself turned about. All these white corridors look the same. Funny, I can navigate my way through enemy territory in the dark, but can't find my way out of the hospital. Way to go, Carter! Eventually, I end up in the ER. Every bed is occupied. Something big must have gone down. Makes me wish I hadn't chosen astrophysics for my postgrad and was in a position to do something.

"Can I have some help here!" a voice shouts.

Two airmen are supporting a third. He looks in a bad way, as if he's just been dragged twenty miles through the desert. There's blood covering his uniform and his left arm hangs limp at his side. He doesn't seem to really be aware of where he is. I'm surprised he's still conscious, but he looks at me as I walk past and stares right into my eyes. I can't help but stare back. He has the most amazing brown eyes.

"Oh my God!" he whispers. "Sara?"

He pulls away from the other men, taking a few faltering steps towards me. The next thing I know, my back's against the wall and he's kissing me. A long, urgent, passionate kiss. At first I want to push him off me, but I'm afraid of hurting him. When he finally breaks away, he holds me tight with his good arm, his face buried in my neck. I glance helplessly at the men who brought him in.

"He's lost alot of blood, and his wound's infected. I think he's delirious," one of them said.

"What happened?" I ask, still trapped in this stranger's embrace.

"That's confidential."

A couple of doctor's appear and try to coax the man away, but he won't let me go. In the end, I stay with him while he's treated. He holds my hand the whole time, gripping it tightly when they unintentionally hurt him. I try and soothe him, brushing his hair away from his face. He has really nice hair. Thick, brown, and it doesn't seem to want to lie straight. Those gorgeous brown eyes are filled with pain. How he can be hurting so much and not scream, I'll never know. Must be one of those special forces guys.

They ask if I'll sit with him through the night, just in case he wakes and wants Sara. For some reason I agree. It's a long night. They've pumped him full of antibiotics but his fever doesn't seem to want to break.

"Sara?" he asks.

"I'm here," I reply.

Again, I take his hand in mine.

"Tired," he whispers.

"Its all right, you can sleep now."

I hope I've told him the right thing. I'd hate for him to.....He presses my hand to his lips and lets it drop. Then I do something I shouldn't. I bend over him and kiss him again. Nothing more than a soft touch of the lips.

"I love you," he tells me....no not me, he's telling Sara.

His eyes open and I know I'll have to answer him. I glance down at his chart, reading his name.

"I love you too, Jack."

I watch him until the fever breaks and the doctor's tell me that he's out of danger. Then I go back to base and sleep, dreaming of a man with dark brown eyes. Funny thing is....I know I'll see him again. Can't explain it. I just know.



THE END