samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: Birthright

SEASON/SEQUEL INFO: Season 7

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Just some frivolity, fun, and amusement in the aftermath of 'Birthright'. I hope they go back to the Jaffa women in Season Eight - Teal'c needs more storylines about his involvement with his people. Really. If you want to see a matching icon c/o Alli, it's up on my LJ at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seldear/254635.html


"So, do you really think they...?"

Daniel resisted the urge to sigh. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He resisted the urge to look up from his book and glare at his friend. But he couldn't stop the note of exasperation in his voice as he replied, "Yes, Jack, I really think they..."

Why Jack was here in Daniel's office, Daniel didn't know. What Daniel *did* know was that Jack's presence here was annoying the heck out of him. He also knew that if Jack didn't stop his insistent pondering over Teal'c's relationship with the Jaffa Priestess, Ishtar, then Daniel was probably going to thump him with the dictionary of Ancient Greek that was lying on the desk.

"Well, I was just wondering since...well, that farewell of theirs..."

"Jack. Would you mind going away?"

"Well, someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning," Jack retorted.

Daniel carefully ignored Jack's sense of injury. If he gave one inch on this matter, there was no doubt that the USAF colonel would take a mile. "Jack, I'm not in the mood for adolescent prurience," he said, with exaggerated patience. "If you want to snigger with someone over the fact that Teal'c got laid, kindly do it somewhere else..."

"So you *do* think he got laid!"

"Of *course* he got laid," Daniel snorted, forgetting for a moment that he wasn't supposed to be encouraging Jack's train of thought in this direction. "Ishtar's a beautiful woman." He frowned slightly. "Even if she is a Jaffa."

"So Jaffa aren't your kind, Daniel?"

"Strangely enough, Jack, no they aren't."

"Not even teenagers who've developed crushes?"

Daniel rolled his eyes. He should have expected this from Jack. Really.

Nessa's interest wasn't a big surprise - after all, Nessa had lived her life apart from men. She'd never spoken to a man before and one who was willing to be friendly - even if it was for his own ends - was not to be sneezed at.

Daniel wished the women had been a little more open to talking with him. Although they were from a very patriarchal society, they had developed a matriarchy over the years - and as an archaeologist, Daniel would have *loved* to study their culture and interactions.

"She'd never had any interaction with men before, you know."

"I know, but it's kinda cute - what with her being sweet on you and all."

Daniel gave up trying to read his text. It wasn't going to happen as long as Jack was in the room.

"I could bring up Merrin."

"You could," Jack said, amiably. "But she was just a little girl who behaved like an adult and never had time to be a kid."

"What about Cassie?"

"Daniel, neither Cassie nor Merrin have or have ever had crushes on me, and you're a sick, sick man for even suggesting it."

"I wasn't..."

"So...Ishtar." Jack turned the topic about as clumsily as most Abydonians turned a mastadge - hauling it in the direction you wanted it to go and beating it very hard. "She's a beautiful woman."

Then and there, Daniel decided that if he wasn't going to get anything done, then by golly, he was not going to let Jack off without some teasing.

"I don't think Teal'c would appreciate you moving in on her, Jack."

"Oh, har-har, Daniel."

"No, really. And I don't know that she's your type either."

"And exactly what is my type, then, Daniel?"

Daniel snorted. "Not a Jaffa to begin with."

"That still leaves a lot of women out in the universe."

"So?"

"Well?"

"What?"

"So what else isn't my type?"

Daniel reconsidered applying the Greek dictionary to O'Neillian persistence - and not in the metaphorical sense. If nothing else, it would make a very satisfying *thud.* Who knew, it might even knock Jack out and Daniel would get some peace.

He snorted quietly to himself. Jack would more likely intercept it long before it got anywhere near his hard-headed skull and proceed to thump Daniel with it instead. Not Daniel's idea of fun.

Instead, he addressed the question. "She's very...passionate."

"Nothing wrong with passionate women."

"Jack, the first time you went off on your hobby horse and she went off on hers, you'd clash."

"Daniel, last time I checked, conflict was part of any relationship. Even friendship." And the pointed look Jack issued was quite clearly intended for Daniel.

His memories were still a little fuzzy on some points, but Daniel could remember past arguments between them. The kind that left scars. "Point taken. But there's a difference between feeling something strongly and being passionate about it. You get passionate about some things - protecting the people you're responsible for, not leaving anyone behind, fairness...that kind of stuff. You're vocal about it. You get angry. You vent. Ishtar - from what I've seen - does the same kind of thing for her hobby-horses."

Daniel searched to find an explanation that might help Jack understand. "She was so focused on saving the adolescent girls that she completely overlooked the possibility that the Jaffa she was killing might be willing to join her cause and maybe help her find another source of primta."

"So?" Jack shrugged. "A lot of women get focused on one thing to the exclusion of others. Carter does it with her tech all the time."

He'd wondered when Sam would turn up in the conversation. "Sam gets focused, yes. But she doesn't get vocal about it. She'll find ways to get it done and then go and do what needs doing." *Usually getting permission along the way,* Daniel mentally added. Sam had to work within the confines of the Air Force rules and regulations, so her routes were less open - but the same mentality applied. "Same with Teal'c. When he gets an idea in his head - like helping free the Jaffa - he doesn't talk about it, he just goes and does it."

"And you might as well try to stop an avalanche," Jack muttered. "Point taken. How did this conversation get to psychological evaluations anyway?"

Daniel thought back. "Discussions of Ishtar and why she's not your kind."

"Right. Which is a moot point because I wouldn't be interested anyway."

"Exactly." Daniel paused. "Now may I go back to my translation, Jack?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm bored."

"Go bore Sam, then." The choice of words was not entirely accidental.

"Too late," said a new voice cheerfully from the door. "What's up, Colonel, Daniel?"

Jack flicked a pen across the desk. "Hey Carter. Come join our speculation about whether Teal'c and Ishtar are 'doing it'."

Sam blinked. "Okay, sir. They are 'doing it'. How's that?"

"Too fast. I was hoping to really draw it out - you know, make a big thing of it." Jack indicated one mildly exasperated archaeologist who was continuing to consider committing assault with intent to shut-the-heck-up. "Daniel then diverged into a conversation about why Jaffa women don't...do it for him."

Another blink from Sam. Then a swiftly-flashing grin. "And the reasons were...?"

"Actually," Daniel interrupted before Jack could get any further, "the issue was why Ishtar doesn't do it for Jack."

Her eyelids were getting a real workout. Yet another blink.

"So, sir, why doesn't Ishtar do it for you?"

*Hmmm...* Daniel looked from the barely-concealed smirk on Sam's face, to Jack's suddenly-faintly-embarrassed air. *I don't remember this.* Maybe more things had changed in the year he'd been away than he knew...

"I...um...she's just not my type." Jack seemed to cast frantically about himself for a change of topic, "So, what brings you to Daniel's lab, Carter?"

Her eyes twinkled, accepting the topic change. "Actually, I came to see if you guys wanted to head up to the commissary for a snack."

Jack perked up, and Daniel thanked all the little gods of meal breaks for such a blessing. He might actually get through the first page by lunchtime if Sam took Jack away and fed him!

"Snack sounds good."

*Yes!* Daniel kept his enthusiasm from his face as he shook his head. "Uh, not right now, thanks, Sam. I'm busy."

He got fixed with the 'you're just trying to get rid of me' stare of Jack O'Neill and returned it with the 'if you don't leave this office on your own two feet now, you're going to leave it on a stretcher with an indent the size of that Greek dictionary just *there*' glare of Daniel Jackson.

"Okay, Daniel." Sam's expression showed she knew *exactly* why Daniel wasn't coming with them. "Sir?"

"I'm there. Oh, hang on - I have to diverge around to Jensen's office - he wanted me to pick up a report on the way. I'll meet you up there."

She nodded and started out the door, then took a step back to check, "Red Jell-O?"

"Always, Carter." Jack levered himself up off the table and watched her go. A decidedly un-commanding-officer-like smile vanished from his lips as he turned back to Daniel and opened his mouth to make some witty and annoying comment.

"I guess Teal'c isn't the only one with an eye for blondes," Daniel said, faintly maliciously, forestalling any O'Neillism that might have issued forth from Jack.

And not just forestalling it, but completely silencing the usually voluble Colonel. Jack glared at his smirking friend and the best riposte he could come back with was a muttered, "You've got a big mouth on you, Daniel," before vanishing after Sam.

Jack O'Neill - nil; Daniel Jackson - 1.

The smirk lasted Daniel the rest of the morning.

* Fin *