samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: pixie@pixies-bookshelf.com

Archive: my site, Jackfic, samandjack, otherwise please ask first.

Warnings: none

Spoilers: "Moebius"

Season: 8

Status: complete, 1/1

Copyright: (c) Siobhan Gormley 2005

Feedback: Be kind, feed me. :D

Author's Note: I get to blame this on post-Moebius (part 1) conversations with Denise. Thanks to her for the beta too, and the brainstorming on the title. :D


I'm sitting here outside my tent on yet another blisteringly hot sunny day, trying to keep to the shade as much as I can. The ancient world passes me by and there's only one thing that weighs on my mind. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated.

No, it's not the heat. We've been here for easily a month now. That's a guess as it's hard to keep track of time since there doesn't seem to be any calendars. Man what I wouldn't do to have my Simpsons calendar...Simpsons, oh how I miss you....

Okay, that's not what's frustrating me. Not that being stuck somewhere with no modern conveniences isn't frustrating in its own way, but that's not what's got me uptight. Oh no, this is all Carter's fault.

Fine, I could pin the blame on her for the lack of modern stuff, but my...tension comes from a much more...base reasoning.

See, she won't let me touch her. Before we left for the mission, we cuddled and fooled around a little, which was really nice, don't get me wrong, but we still kept to nothing more than that. She wasn't ready for more yet, and I totally understood. I was willing to wait, because I knew she's worth it. Know. I know she's worth it. But we're currently stuck in the past and we don't know when we'll be able to get back to our time. Assuming it'll be our time when we get there.

Oy. I put my head in my hands, covering my eyes for a moment. I shouldn't think about that, my brain hurts just pondering it.

I uncover my eyes, again focusing on what's going on around me, and as the boredom of people watching numbs my mind, slowly my thoughts return to Sam. So yes, she won't let me touch her. If I even move in her general direction she finds a way to have someone between us or goes off in the other direction. When I finally got to ask her what I had done wrong - because, let's be honest, it had to be something I did, right? - she told me that she doesn't want to risk messing with anything, including the possibility of us getting more intimate (her word) and it changing something in the future.

That was after a week, and I figured we'd be out of here soon enough, so I accepted it. I figured I could last a little longer; hell, I waited years to finally suck it up and admit that I love her, to be able to touch her without guilt or worry, I could wait a few more days.

But a few more days has turned into a month, and to not even lay one single finger on her is bugging the hell outta me. I can resist doing more. Honest. I have Ol' Righty after all. Of course, Ol' Righty is getting tired, and there's only so much it can do for me.

Crap. Here comes Sam. She's talking with Teal'c about something and she's laughing and I feel my body tense in what would normally be a good way, if she'd let me near her that is.

Her face lights up beautifully even with all the dirt and sun and sand burn. She's touching his arm, giving it a squeeze....

I close my eyes, annoyed. This is cruel and unusual punishment. Where's the Geneva Convention when you need it? Oh, that's right, Geneva doesn't exist yet.

Christ, I'm jealous of Teal'c now. I'm jealous that she's paying attention to him, putting her soft, gentle hand on him....

Okay, this isn't helping. And it looks like Ol' Righty will have a bit of a work out later.

Crap. I open my eyes to see Daniel coming my way, saying something to me. I think he's just asked me a question and I have no clue what to respond. Too much focus on Carter, not that that's ever been a bad thing. And, let's be honest, like I always pay attention to what Daniel says.

I give him a vague response and return to my observations of Sam. Nope, not obsessed, not me.

She's sitting in front of the cooking fire now with Teal'c, discussing what's for dinner, maybe? Her hands are motioning in the air, she must be describing something. Her hands can never stay still when she gets into professor mode.

I become...well, entranced, I guess, is the best word, by her hands. They're really beautiful. Strong enough to take on any man in hand-to-hand, yet delicate, like in the way she's wiping at a stray piece of hair right now. She brushes it away from her face and up and under her desert doo rag.

I hate that she has to hide her beautiful, blond hair, but if the others saw it, it would definitely give her away as not being from around here. She has enough trouble with the blue eyes, and the last thing we need is to attract more attention. But I do get to see it before we go to bed at night, or at least fleetingly when she slips off the cover before disappearing into her tent. God what I wouldn't do to be in that tent every night.

Oh yeah, that really helped. I sigh in frustration, again, rubbing my right hand across my face.

Focus, O'Neill, focus. Gotta find something to cool me down.

Cold water. No, that's just making me thirsty.

Kinsey. Yes! Good start, needs more. Kinsey in...a speedo. Euwgh. Okay, that's too far. I don't think I'll be able to eat for a while with that image. I press the heels of my hands into my eyes, hoping that somehow it might help banish the image in my mind, but I groan in annoyance when it doesn't do anything but push my eyes further back in their sockets.

"You okay, sir?"

I remove my hands quickly, placing them on my lap, and see that she's crouching there before me, an angel in desert clothing. Her expression shows she's worried, but when she sees that I'm not actually in any sort of pain or whatever, she starts to look mildly amused.

"Yeah, just peachy, Carter." Damn, my voice sounds rough, like I smoked a pack recently. Guess I'm not using it enough.

She shakes her head at me in amusement, the doo rag shaking with her. "We're gonna get started on dinner. Wanna help?" She stands straight, brushing at her outfit as if she can get the dust and dirt and sand off it.

I can't help but joke, giving her a wry smile. "Sure. Just point me to the water to boil and I'm there."

"Funny," she responds, her eyes twinkling with humor. She then leans forward, gently poking me in the shoulder with her right hand. My brain kinda fizzles out at this point, not quite believing that she's actually touched me. My sole focus is now on the spot where her hand's just been. May sound clichéd and a little bit silly, but I feel...really warm where she touched me, and it's traveling quickly south.

She walks away from me and tosses out over her shoulder, "Coming, sir?"

'Oh god, yes' is what comes to mind, but I manage to croak out a 'yes' all on its own.

If I thought I was frustrated before, I'm ten times worse now. Thank god these robes are loose...now all I need is a cold shower.

THE END