samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: wendyparkinson@hotmail.com

Spoilers: Divide and Conquer, Beneath the Surface, Absolute Power

Season/Sequel info: set season four, after Absolute Power

Archive: "Sam and Jack"

Website: http://hyperion.spaceports.com/~wendyfic/

Date: 21st February 2001

All feedback and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. No flames please.

Author's notes: I've always had the suspicion that at least some of the time Sam is like a swan - the part you can see is calm and serene but she's paddling like hell underneath....

Thanks to Ness for the 'encouragement' - so where's the next part of Surrender, dear?

And heartfelt apologies to Bridget Jones.

copyright Wendy Parkinson February 2001


5am.
Wake in a cold sweat. Had the 'mining naked' dream again. The colonel stood in front of me stark naked, sweat glistening on his finely tuned body as he swung his pick in the air. Then he turned and smiled. Taking a couple of steps towards me, he held his hands out. He was going to kiss me, I knew it!

Then I woke up.

As always.

5.15am
Decide I am not going to get to sleep with the vision of Colonel O'Neill 'mining naked' bouncing around in my brain, so I get up and have a glass of milk, whilst wondering if vision is anatomically correct or just wishful thinking. Switch on computer and check e-mail. Only receive a Fw from Janet entitled 'Why chocolate is better than sex'. For want of something better to do, search the web on the meanings of dreams.

One site says seeing someone else naked means you want nothing to be hidden. Another site says it suggests you will inadvertently uncover a deception within your close circle. So there's no chance it means I want to rip the Colonel's clothes off and have my wicked way with him?

That's a relief.

5.30am
Go back to bed.

5.32am
Fantasise about Colonel O'Neill.

5.35am
Try counting sheep. The sheep jump over a fence and run into a tunnel where the Colonel is mining naked.

5.45am
Give up trying to sleep, get up and have a shower. Imagine Colonel O'Neill sharing it with me.

6.05am
Now thoroughly hot and bothered, decide to have breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7.30am
Arrive at Cheyenne Mountain. Meet Daniel in the parking lot. He's wearing odd socks. Says it all really. But I know a lot of women find him devastatingly attractive. Make mental note to find out why.

Can't be the socks.

8am
Briefing. We're going to visit a new planet tomorrow. As the Colonel says, "Looks fun." No civilisation, no large animals, no strange weather. Just a mineral survey.

Peachy.

8.02am
Wonder if I've been around the Colonel too long.

8.12am
Still in briefing. The Colonel is doodling on his pad. Am trying to see what the picture is when he senses me watching him and looks up. He smiles. Same smile as in dream. Turn red as think totally inappropriate thoughts about my CO.

8.13am
General Hammond asks me if I'm too hot. Resist temptation to say that it's Colonel O'Neill that's too hot by half. Mumble something about air conditioning and try to pay attention.

8.20am
Teal'c's watching me. With one eyebrow raised. He knows. I know he knows.

8.21am
How does he know?

8.25am
Give my standard 'this is how we're going to do the mineral survey' talk. Don't know why I bother. Am pretty certain none of them are listening. Not even Teal'c. The Colonel's doodle is attaining epic proportions. Still can't make out what it is.

8.35am
General Hammond wraps up the briefing and we all stand up ready to leave. I try and sneak round the table so I can see what the Colonel's been drawing. Try to glance nonchalantly at it. Fail miserably as my mouth drops open in surprise. It's flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. What sort of guy draws flowers?

The sort that wants to give a bouquet to someone he cares about.

8.36am
Hope dashed when General Hammond asks the Colonel how the new plants are doing.

8.45am
Go back to lab. Ought to get working on naquadah reactor.

Check e-mail. Only receive a Fw from Janet entitled 'How to tell if your man cares about you'.

What man?

Start reading anyway.

"Does he give you presents?"

Yes! He got me a new MP5 just last week.

"Does he take you to new and exciting places?"

Oh yes!

"Does he have his own special name for you?"

Um.... does 'Carter' count? No-one else calls me that....

"Does he ever prepare you a romantic dinner?"

Yes! He heated up the field rations on our last mission. Shame Teal'c and Daniel were there too.

8.50am
Fascinating but pointless train of thought interrupted by tap on door.

"Come in!"

The object of my fascinating but pointless train of thought walks in. "Hi Carter..."

See! He called me by my own special name!

"...watcha doing?"

Good question.

"Calibrating the nodule alignment on the fourth sector of the naquadah reactor, sir. It seems to be exceeding the constraints of the design parameters."

That'll confuse him.

"Oh."

Told you!

"Exceeding the constraints of the design parameters?" he echoes, a rather cute frown creasing his forehead. "You mean it doesn't fit?"

Busted.

"Yes, sir. I'm just about to file a bit off here."

Oh no, he's going to... that smile again... it does strange things to my insides. Oh oh, now he's coming this way... He wanders over to me and picks up a meter from the workbench, fiddling with the connectors. One comes off in his hand. I raise a suitably supercilious eyebrow. "Sir?"

"Sorry, Carter." He puts the meter down carefully, then deliberately rams his hands in his pockets, as if to emphasise the fact that now he can't possibly break anything else. "I was wondering..." he starts, sounding pretty nervous for him.

"Yes?" I'll go to Maui with you, sir. Of course I will. I'll even buy a very little bikini for the occasion. So long as you indulge my 'mining naked' fantasy.

"I'm told it's the Doc's birthday soon and even though she can be a Napoleonic power monger, she's saved my butt on more than one occasion so I thought..."

"Yes?" It doesn't have to be Maui, I would agree to fishing in Minnesota. Somehow, I don't think it's going to be either.

"...I'd get her a present. Any ideas? I thought you might know as you're..."

Her friend?

"...a woman."

Gee, thanks for noticing. Oh no... that smile *again*. I'm putty in his hands. He could get me to do anything.... Absolutely anything.

I've got an idea! "Why don't we go shopping together, sir?"

"Good thinking! We'll arrange something when we get back from the next mission. Thanks, Carter, you're..."

I daren't even guess what he's going to say this time.

"...great!" He turned and left, flashing that smile one more time.

9.15am
Still staring at the open doorway. He said I was 'great'.

Wow.

9.22am
I know he 'cares about me more than he's supposed to' but I wish he'd show it a little more often.

9.23am
Think about what, sorry, 'who' I can't have.

9.24am
Now I'm depressed.

9.25am
Have I got any chocolate?

9.31am
"SG1 to the Gateroom."

Have to abandon calorie-fest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2.56pm
Save the base, and possibly the world, from almost certain destruction by reprogramming the base computers so we could detect an invisible hostile alien that wasn't responding well to Daniel's entreaties to have a chat.

3.05pm
General Hammond congratulates me and says he'll be putting me forward for a commendation.

3.15pm
Back in lab. Stare mournfully at naquahdah reactor.

Acknowledge that the problem with saving the base, and possibly the world, is that afterwards there's a dreadful sense of anticlimax. I just don't feel like playing with my doohickeys. What I'd really like is a night of lust with my commanding officer.

Decide to ask Daniel if he wants to go for a beer after work instead.

4pm
Daniel agrees to beer and says he'll ask Teal'c and the Colonel. Perhaps I could get him drunk and have my wicked way with him.

4.01pm
Rule that idea out when I remember, or rather *don't* remember trying that before. The next morning I thought my head was going to explode. That man can drink like a fish.

4.02pm
Get back to work on the naquadah reactor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7.04pm
O'Malley's Bar. The Colonel and Teal'c are playing pool. Daniel and I sit at nearby table watching. Well, at least I'm watching. Daniel appears to be watching his beer. Does he think it's going to run away or something?

7.06pm
Oh yes, Teal'c! Brilliant! I know you didn't sink any balls but this was much better. Now the Colonel will have to take his next shot from this side of the table.

7.07pm
He walks towards us, eyeing the lie of the balls, then turns away and leans over the table, lining up his cue. Then leans a little further.....

Wow. What a view.

7.08pm
Daniel interrupts my ogling by digging me in the ribs.

"I was talking to you, Sam. Aren't you listening?" The tone is petulant. How many beers has he had? Two, I think. As the Colonel says, 'cheap date'.

"Sorry, Daniel. I was miles away." Not strictly true, my brain had only travelled a few feet, but it'll do for now. "What was it you were saying?"

"The dream Kifu showed me...."

"Oh?" I'm genuinely curious about the dream. So far, he hasn't told anyone what it was about. The Colonel, when Daniel wasn't there, ventured that it included a harem and dancing girls and that our resident intellectual was, quite simply, far too embarrassed to discuss it.

"I was a power mad megalomaniac."

I should have taken the Colonel's bet.

"I wanted to take over the world."

It gets worse, doesn't it? Daniel ruling the world when he's *not* a power mad megalomaniac isn't something I'd really like to contemplate. I mean, I love him like a brother but think about this morning's socks. On balance, I'd have preferred dancing girls. Pulling myself together, I ask, "Because of the knowledge of the Goa'uld?"

"Yeah, it was too much. Too dangerous."

He goes back to staring at his glass. I go back to watching the Colonel. Sadly, he's round the other side of the table now. They only have the eight ball left.

"I nuked Moscow," Daniel mutters into his beer.

Well, that's a conversation stopper. How on earth am I supposed to respond to that? Never mind, they'll get over it? Thankfully, he doesn't appear to expect an answer.

7.10pm
Teal'c sinks the eight ball. The other two members of SG1 return to the table and rescue me from Daniel's introspection.

"What have we missed? Any good gossip?" asks the Colonel.

"We were talking about dreams," says Daniel.

"Dreams! I've been having a real weird one. I guess it must be a throwback to the mission where we had our memories stamped."

I can feel my eyes widening as the Colonel speaks. Has he been having the 'mining naked' dream too?

Before I can say anything, Daniel asks, "What happens Jack? More mining naked?"

My God! Don't say Daniel's having that dream too!

The Colonel glances at me, then looks intently at his beer. "Kinda." He seems embarrassed.

"Details, Jack. We need details!" Daniel prods the Colonel in the chest. He's definitely had too much to drink. He'll probably start singing Abydonian love songs next.

7.16pm
We're thrown out of O'Malley's for 'causing a disturbance', i.e. being in the company of a singing archaeologist. Teal'c offers to take Daniel home. The Colonel and I watch them leave.

7.17pm
"Carter..."

"Yeah?"

"Wanna come back to my place?" He shrugs and smiles *that* smile. "The night is still young."

Oh wow.... oh wow.... ohwowohwowohwowohwowohwow.....

I try desperately to sound cool. "Yes, that'd be great!"

I think I failed, but to be quite honest, who cares?

7.42pm
Colonel O'Neill's place. He passes me a beer and indicates I should sit on the sofa. My stomach is doing some kind of acrobatics. Have never felt so damn nervous in my life. Try to attain some kind of perspective. Just because I'd like him to make a pass at me doesn't mean he's going to.

But I wish he would.

7.45pm
Awkward silence. I want to ask about his dream. Should I?

7.53pm
Very awkward silence. Decide to go for it.

"Sir, you never explained about your dream."

"No, I got interrupted by 'She was only a shepherd's daughter' didn't I?" He licks his lips and looks kind of bashful. God, that's cute. "Daniel was right. I dream about mining naked..."

The imagery, the imagery......

"...except it's not me doing the mining."

"Who is it then?" Please don't say General Hammond.

His voice drops to a whisper. "You."

What!?!! I'm rendered totally speechless. Then my mouth recovers before my brain and blurts out, "But I dream about *you* mining naked!"

*That* smile spreads across his face. "Sounds like we've both got it bad."

"Not necessarily." Mouth in gear before brain again. "I looked it up on the Internet."

"Mining naked?"

"Er... no, not exactly. I looked up seeing someone else naked in your dreams."

"And?"

"It can mean you want nothing to be hidden or that you're going to uncover a deception."

"It doesn't mean I want to rip your clothes off and make passionate love to you right here, right now?"

I think I'm hyperventilating. "No!"

And since when did I sound like Minnie Mouse?

He's getting closer, I'm sure he is.... well, his eyes are. That's all I can look at for now. So dark, so very dark. Incredibly sexy.

"What do you think of the idea?" He does a very sexy whisper too.

Should I? Shouldn't I? I ought to think of the regulations, my career, General Hammond... I want to... God, I want to.... I'm going to.... no, I shouldn't.... But his eyes... his body.... no, I really shouldn't.... but I want to....

Screw the regs!

"I think it's a great idea."

His lips are getting closer, my fantasies are about to come true. He's going to kiss me.

Oh....

11.23pm
.....wow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~