samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: Xeen67@hotmail.com

Archive: S&J, Heliopolis please

Season: probably 4

Spoilers: WOO of course

copyright Xeen (c) 2002


"Please, Daniel, stop whining! Your crybaby act will do you no good. You've had plenty of time to go through all that stuff," said Jack. "Carter, dial us out!"

Fingers running on the GDO, Sam managed to hide a smile from her CO. Teal'c's mouth shivered and his eyes somehow grinned. The event horizon stabilised and O'Neill followed by Sam, left behind a still arguing Daniel Jackson and entered the wormhole.


"... and if the readings of the MALP are accurate, you may see that the patterns on the wall match exactly..."

"Oh, oh..."

Jack stopped fidgeting with his paperclip necklace and winced at Teal'c.

"Ring a bell?" he hissed.

"Is there something bothering you, O'Neill?" asked the Jaffa.

"Yes Teal'c there is! Been here before! Remember?"

Daniel tilted his head and lowered his arm. "Huh, excuse me?" he asked.

"This briefing, we did that already. Last minute, we were on our way back from P12Y-4555."

"No we weren't," mumbled Daniel. He shrugged. "Huh, maybe we were... Don't tell me that it is happening again."

Eyes riveted on Jack, major general Hammond leaned on the conference table

"Colonel? Are you experiencing another time distortion? Is there something wrong?" he asked with a concerned voice.

"Something is very wrong, sir", Carter said wryly, " it seems that colonel O'Neill and I are stuck in another time loop of some kind. Only I just can't figure out why," she added.

"You can't, Carter!?"

"Not yet sir," she added, "but I will."

"OK. I feel better already," Jack whispered. "You're stuck with me?" he added.

"Yes I am. And I will have plenty of time to find a solution sir," she smiled.

"Cool!"

"Major, colonel? Would you explain..." started Hammond.

Jack let his head fall into his palms and rubbed his eyes with his thumbs.

"Here we go major, welcome to my very personal hell," he said dryly.

"What do you mean sir?"

"You'll see major, you'll see... in some loops from now," snapped O'Neill at her. "Have a nice briefing. Carter will fill me."

He stumbled up his chair and rushed out of the room.

Eventually, after losing some valuable time looking for the colonel, major Samantha Carter was hesitating in front of O'Neill's quarters. Not that she was not there before, but this time it seemed totally inappropriate. She exhaled deeply and, straightening, she knocked on the door. No one answered. She felt relieved.

Looking around, she tried again. Still no answer. So he was not in his quarters either. Surely the colonel must have left the base; he needed some air.

The first time they were trapped in time, she always wondered how the colonel and Teal'c spent their time together and managed to get some rest. Hell, it was day all along!

"I guess I will have the opportunity to find out," she whispered for herself.

Hands behind her back, she turned away when the door opened ajar.

"Carter? Is that you? I thought it was... Come on in." Jack invited her.

He did the same she just did and looked in the corridor both ways.

"I know that nobody would ever remember you being around in the next loop, but... well never mind. How can I help you Carter?"

"Sir, this is weird," she stated.

"No kidding? And I thought you were the smart one." He shrugged. "Sorry Carter. I shouldn't. I was out of line sorry. I just so don't want that to happen all over again." he said a hint of
despair in the eyes.

He showed her to the only seat in front of the computer and let himself drop like a puppet on his bed. She sat beside him on the bed and put a light hand on his thigh.

"Don't worry, sir, we'll find a way to get out of it. I just want you to tell me exactly when you figured out that you were in another time loop."

"The moment I heard Daniel talking patterns on the wall. I knew he said that before. You see, since we got in this loop thingie with Teal'c, I'm pretty sure I attended every meeting and listened to every gibberish ever uttered by anyone on the base. I didn't want what happened the first time to happen again."

"Sorry sir?"

"You don't know, don't you? I never told anyone but Teal'c. See, Daniel can be pretty boring, especially when you're half awake. Didn't you notice that?"

She grinned and looked down at her feet.

"Well, anyway, that very morning I had no clue what he was asking me about. 'Cause I didn't listen to him in the first place. And during the whole looping time, I was asked by Daniel that same question over and over again. And never came up with an answer since I didn't have a clue of..."

"I see your point sir," Sam interrupted.

"... and I made a fool out of myself."

"No, you didn't."

"Yes I did."

"No, you didn't.

"Oh, didn't? That's cool! Huh, why's that?"

"Simply because for the two of us, every looping day it was the first morning Daniel asked you..." she explained. "Anyway, I didn't listen to his question either. So I couldn't be of much help!" she smiled.

"Right. I knew that."

Jack grinned. He looks so tired, she thought. She stood up and grinned back.

"Fancy a cup of coffee, sir?" she asked. "And definitely some sugar! I guess that I can have everything I ever wanted to eat during the whole time we'll be looping."

"You mean that you'll get rid of this awful diet soda you usually have?"

"Oh no sir. I do love the taste of it."

"Oh, Carter, by the way", said the colonel when he was holding the door opened for her. "We might be stuck together in that loop for quite a long time. Would you consider losing the 'sir'? Please?"

"Mmmm..." said Sam, while trying to swallow a much too large spoonful of blue jello, " I sooo love that stuff."

"It kinda reminds me of our friend," smiled Jack over his cup.

She looked at him questioningly. "What friend, sir?"

"I told you to lose the sir, didn't I," he frowned. "Our friend, you know... Row, row, row the boat," he hummed, mezzo vocce.

"Urgo? Please do not ever make me think of that guy again!" she laughed, wiping her mouth with a disposable napkin.

"How come? I thought you liked him ultimately."

"Oh I did. But the point is that I put on more than ten pounds when he was around! And I don't like to be reminded of that kind of memory," she explained.

"You were? Are you kidding me? I never noticed that!"

"Err... You were away sir."

"On vacation? You managed to lose ten pounds when I was on vacation? No way Carter! I've never been on leave that long!"

"You were on Edora sir," she stated, toneless.

"Oops, sorry Carter. I seem to develop a talent in mentioning events I should avoid mentioning. Specially to you."

"You're right sir."

"Did I ever thank you for the rescue mission Carter?"

"You did sir," she answered, mesmerized by her blue jello bowl.

"Sam, I'm really sorry. I was stranded on that planet and I would never have considered I'd ever be back home one day. At least not after three months."

"You don't have to apologize sir. I understand quite perfectly. You were stranded. End of the story."

"You're still mad at me, are you?"

"Why would I be, sir?"

"Please Sam. You and I are going to spend a great deal of spare time together in the next few weeks. Is there any way I can fix that misunderstanding?"

"There's nothing to be fixed, sir. As you stated, you were stranded. I can see nothing wrong with a fellow officer starting to having a new life off world," she whispered stubbornly, avoiding his intense gaze. "And if I can make it otherwise, no, we aren't going to, sir," she added, anger flashing in her eyes.

"Sam. I have a confession to make." he sighed, tilting his head. He put his hand on the table and reached out to hers. She couldn't help but shivering and briefly glanced at him.

"Go ahead. I'm listening. SIR."

"Sam, please, don't make it any more difficult than it is already. I know that deep down, you're not that by the book major you always seem to be."

"...Jack." she smiled.

She could not stay angry with him for long it seems. And besides, he was right. They could be experiencing time looping for a while before she might find a way to get them out of it.

"I did something I regret during the previous time loop."

"You mean when you were stuck with Teal'c, last year?"

"Yes."

"OK."

"Well. I don't know how to put it, because I can see no way you will ever forgive me."

"Sir?!" she exclaimed puzzled.

"Promise me that you won't be mad," he grinned.

"I cannot, sir, even when I try. You know."

"I know. Just trying. Well, I sorta... kiss you!"

"EXCUSE ME???"

"But I resigned first," he apologized instantly, attempting to tame her with his puppy look.

"What the heck has it got to do with anything?" she shouted.

Noticing the interrogative looks of the personnel around them, she whispered angrily.

"How dare you?"

"Well, you know, no consequences, blablabla, Daniel kinda of gave me the idea in the first place."

"Don't get Daniel involved in your mistakes, Jack."

"I wasn't. I mean, I didn't want to. You know, when you're stuck in time for so many revolutions you lost the count of them, you feel like having some fun. And I figured out that was something I really wanted to experience. Not to have fun," he added, noticing her still angry looks, "but because I thought it might be the only opportunity I will ever have to kiss you."

She stared at him blankly and sighed. She blinked. She suspected something anyway. She probably might have done it if she were in his place. Not the resignation part...

"Did I enjoy it as much as you did, sir ?"

"I... err... I hope so, Carter. You responded to it at least."

"I see."

"So, you're not mad?"

"Nope."

"Good."

"Sir?"

"Yep."

"We might have to try this again."

O'Neill looked startled.

"Thus I could have a chance to make my own opinion," she smiled. "As you said, we will have some spare time together during those loops. Now, I would love to try all the chocolate desserts you can bring back for me, Jack," she grinned.

"Carter. Just for the record. Do you want me to resign every day to match with the regulations?"

"According to my readings, I'm positive, sir. The duration for one time loop is exactly 25 hours and 23 minutes. It turns out that we encountered that entity on P12Y-4555 on the day we reached the planet. It showed us a particular wide range of devices created by the Ancients to master the climate," explained Carter for the umpteenth time in the briefing room.

"Some kind of orb?" Daniel asked.

"No, no. Much more complicated," said O'Neill. "It was! Carter said it was!"

"Yes, I did. And it seems I was right. In order to demonstrate, they turned on a small device. But I'm not sure it has anything to do with us all being stuck in time again."

"OK, we told you that yesterday already. Shouldn't all of you take notes?" asked Jack. "Kidding," he added.

Teal'c raised an eyebrow and locked his eyes on Jack's.

"I swear Teal'c! You taught me that it was impossible, last time we were looping together."

"I must assume that you are much pleased to time loop with Major Carter since you did not make such jokes when I was experiencing the same process with you last year."

"Gettin' used to it!" Jack mumbled.

"Major Carter," asked a very focused Hammond, "you're making the count of the time loops, aren't you?"

"We both are. And then we compare the results," said Jack jokingly.

"Jack, please, behave yourself," the general protested, half seriously.

"Sorry, general, sir. We are in the sixth loop," said O'Neill.

"What are we waiting for? Is there any scientific trick that keeps your team from going back there?" Hammond asked.

Sam blushed. "I want to make sure that it is the good option," she stated.

"Is there anything you want to tell me, major? Off the record?"

She glanced at Jack. He nodded and raised a hand then silently articulated a "no".

"No sir. I think it's too early to jeopardise SG1 in taking any measures. I want to calculate the importance of the radiations caused by the solar flares that occurred at the time we all got caught in that time loop."

She stopped, focused on the board, behind Daniel.

"Oh my god!" she whispered. "If you please!"

And off she went.

"Sorry," said colonel O'Neill, "I'd better..." he said waving in the direction where Carter had disappeared. "Duty calls!" he shouted from the corridor.

The general sighed.

"Your opinion, Teal'c?" asked Hammond.

"I am confident that Major Carter will find a solution," said the Jaffa. "Only, I am not sure that it will be a quick resolution."

"I agree," said Daniel.

Hammond looked at them both and took a deep breath. And said nothing. He closed his eyes instead. Maybe it was really time to change those regs or they will live those 25 hours or so indefinitely.

Jack was drumming on the table. He caught a glimpse of Carter and shrugged.

"Sorry," he said, "I guess I was just getting impatient again."

"Why don't you go get some sleep Jack?"

"I will as soon as I make sure that you're going to bed too."

"I have to finish this before. I won't be long!"

"Said that yesterday. Never got to bed."

"How would you know?"

"I... huh... I know."

"OK. Give me two minutes!"

"Told me that an hour ago."

"What time is it ?"

"Well, almost time."

"Oh no, Jack! Why didn't you stop me?"

"I tried, you know perfectly I tried. This time looping thing just gives you the opportunity to work round the clock every day. I kinda expected something else!" said Jack.

He stood up and threw the rubber bands he was fidgeting with on the table.

"I guess I'll see you at the briefing."

"No. Wait. I'm through for today," she said, turning off the computer. "How much time have we got?"

"Not much. Would you fancy a breakfast outside the base?"

"The breakfast you talked to me about yesterday? I'm sorry Jack. When I'm working I lose track of time."

"I know. So, is it a yes?"

She nodded and walked closer to him. She raised herself on her toes and kissed him gently on the cheek.

"Shall we go? I'm terribly hungry," she whispered.

"... and if the readings of the MALP are accurate, you may see that the patterns on the wall match exactly..."

"I told you we won't have time for breakfast Carter!" Jack shouted half angrily.

Sam grinned. "Don't worry, we'll have time on this loop."

"Major, colonel, would you mind explaining us what is going on?" general Hammond asked.

"Well, didn't we just have breakfast at the commissary?" Daniel pointed out.

"OK, your turn Carter!" said Jack, holding out some files to Carter.

"Oh, I thought it was yours?!" protested Sam.

"Nope. Did it yesterday."

"Are you sure?"

"Quite sure."

"You're a liar Jack!" Sam exclaimed.

"Major!" a puzzled general Hammond interrupted. "I'm still waiting."

"It seems that O'Neill and major Carter are experiencing a time loop," said Teal'c.

"Bingo, ole pal!" Jack bowed to his friend. "And sorry folks, after all, I guess that we're taking this loop off! Shall we go Carter?"

"... and if the readings of the MALP are accurate, you may see that the patterns on the wall match exactly..."

Daniel looked up only to see Jack O'Neill leaning on the briefing table and crawling to major Carter. Jack finally reached out to her and hoisted her on the table. Cupping her head, he whispered something to her while kissing her gently.

"Colonel O'Neill!" Hammond shouted.

"Give us a break George, we're on our way," said Jack taking Sam away in his arms. "We'll give you every explanation you might request tomorrow."

"... and if the readings of the MALP are accurate, you may see that the patterns on the wall match exactly..."

"OK Daniel, stop it. You told us already," Jack started.

"No I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"Didn't."

"Carter, would you please?" Jack asked.

"My pleasure, sir," she grinned.

"See, people, Carter and I came up with an explanation."

"What are you talking about son?" general Hammond asked.


"Oops sorry, general. We are in a time loop again. I thought we established that already. And have been for 23 days... Was it 23 or 24 Carter?"

"22 sir."

"Thanks Carter. Go ahead."

"Sir, Daniel, Teal'c," Sam started, "you probably recall the events that occurred last year when we were on P4X-639."

"Huh," Daniel said, "not sure..."

"You mean what has happened because of Malikai false use of the device made by the Ancients?"

"Exactly, Teal'c!" said Jack. "You're my buddy."

"I remember that we were out of sync' for quite a long period of time O'Neill," stated the Jaffa.

"You were Teal'c," said Carter, "and this is happening again. Theoretically, nothing prevents us from experiencing this again. Basically, it was the conjunction of a coronal mass emission and the activation of that alien device that triggers the time chain reaction. Right?"

"Err... right," said Daniel.

"I suppose that you are correct major Carter," said Teal'c.

"Go ahead major." Said Hammond.

"This specific solar activity caused a geomagnetic disturbance when it reached its peak, and, combined with the device, opened a simultaneous connection with a certain number of gates. The center of it being P4X-639. Thus, we might imagine that entropy will make it possible to reproduce that specific pattern if we tryto activate the gate of one of the planets previously in that out of sync' bubble during eruptive flares of its own sun."

"It makes sense," Daniel thought out loud.

"Does it?" Jack smiled. "Yes! I knew it!"

Sam smiled back and resumed talking.

"When we came back from P12Y-4555, colonel O'Neill and I were the first to engage the wormhole. Daniel and Teal'c went through the stargate right after we did. At the precise time they came through, the flares of the planet sun reached an extremely high level of radiations and affected the gate functioning and they got caught in the time distortion, along with Earth gate and most likely the same gates that were in that time bubble before. Only this time, there is nothing specific we can do, apart from waiting for the gates to disengage from that time loop," she concluded. "It is not the Ancients' device that caused the time loop to occur but entropy. P12Y-4555 was one of the planets caught in the first time loop. The resonance with the earth stargate caused this second time loop to occur. We will have to wait until the same number of
loops has elapsed."

"Did you keep a count of the loops the first time colonel?" Hammond asked.

"No, I lost track." Jack answered instantly.

"I did not either, general Hammond," said the Jaffa, eyebrow raised to its max.

"Well, as you said major," sighed Hammond, "we'll just have to wait then."

"It seems, sir," smiled O'Neill. "Would you excuse us? I have plenty of things to discuss with major Carter."

Sam was seated at the commissary, in front of pecan chocolate chips ice cream and yellow jello. She sighed and looked up at Jack.

"I never thought I would say it, but I'm going to be sorry not being caught in time with you any more."

Jack stared at her and opened his mouth. He changed his mind and nodded.

"Yes, I know what you mean. I will too. Are you absolutely sure you don't want to do anything about it Sam?"

"What do you mean?"

"Will you consider... huh?"

"Yes?"

"Would you marry me Sam?"

She swallowed her jello and winced.

"Are you serious Jack? I mean..."

"It's always the first time you ask, the hardest they say. Well... I say," said Jack more for himself than for Sam. "Take all the time you need Sam."

"I'm not sure we have that much time. According to my calculation, there are less than five loops left."

"What has it got to do with me proposing you?!" Jack exclaimed.

"... nothing, you're right. I just didn't expect you to propose me I guess."

"What if I ask general Hammond?"

"Will you?"

"Yes."

"Oh! So it's not only because we are stuck together, is it?"

"Carter, you can do better! You know it's not!"

"... and if the readings of the MALP are accurate, you may see that the patterns on the wall match exactly..."

Jack stood up and cleared his voice. Daniel turned round and looked up at him over his files. O'Neill shoved his hands in his pockets and coughed.

"People, if you please. I need some attention here. Major Carter and I are engaged. And I would like to ask major general Hammond whether he may consider to marry us, down here at the base."

Silence was all it was.

"Hello? Is there anyone?" Jack chanted.

"Colonel O'Neill," asked Hammond. "I should assume that you are serious?"

"Totally, sir. Completely. Downright. Absolutely. Utterly. Categorically. Adamantly. Blatantly. Stubbornly." Jack winced.

Sam managed to hide a laughter from the general and gave a perfect love glance to Jack.

"You are serious," said Hammond wryly. "What about major Carter?"

"Sir? Would you marry us?" she asked.

"OK, kids, let me think it over. I have to talk to the President before. According to the regulations, you're still in the same chain of command, unless I missed something."

"So you're willing to consider it, sir?" asked O'Neill again.

"Yes, I am."

"Told you!" Jack waved to Sam. "Told you he would consider it! Should have bet!" he shook his head, smiling at Sam.

"OK. So? You were right. Big deal," she grinned.

"Last time I had a word with him, the President agreed it would be for the best of SG1 though," Hammond added.

Jack and Sam looked blank.

"Shall we resume this briefing, son?" the general asked.

"Actually, we've done that before, sir," the colonel said.

He stood up and passed some files to Hammond.

"That will give you all the explanations you need. If you don't mind, we'll save earth and the stargate tomorrow. We are taking these last time loops for ourselves. We will be nowhere to be found. May I count on you to give me your answer today?"

Having said that, he took Sam by the hand and get out of the briefing room to the surface.

Once in the car, he turned to Sam.

"What if they say no?"

"They will say yes, Jack. I'm confident. They cannot afford to lose both of us at the same time. And I can't afford to lose you either."

THE END