samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: This has not, I repeat, not been sent to a beta. All mistakes are mine, I'm afraid. You have been warned.

Copyright (c) Lorie J. Wylie May 2005


Dad,

You said,

*"I just want to know you're happy."*

I'm happy, Dad. Honest. I've never been happier. Actually, my life seems so much like a dream, that I have to pinch myself sometimes to prove that it's real. As I'm sure you know, work is still full of unexpected problems and joys... nothing new there. I'm on base full time now, and I'm loving every minute of it. I work with some very smart people, which brings the stress level down. It's very challenging and fulfilling. I can't imagine my life without my work.

*"Don't let rules stand in your way."*

I didn't, Dad. I knew what you were talking about, but I was afraid to let my true feelings show. Silly, I know, but it was what I thought I had to do to keep myself from getting hurt. I'd like you to know that Jack and I did something about it. We got married. Can you believe it! I love him so much, more than I thought possible Thank you for nudging me in that direction and understanding that it was up to me to make the right decision... and I have, Dad.

*"You can still have everything you want."*

I do, Dad. I'm going to be a mother. I never thought this would be possible, but I am. We are so excited. I'm in my last trimester and I have to admit, I'm scared to death. Jack keeps assuring me that I'll make a great mother. I just hope I don't let him or myself down. If it's a boy, he'll be named after his grandfathers, Jacob Patrick O'Neill. If it's a girl, she'll be named after her grandmothers, Emma Katie O'Neill. I wish you could be here for the blessed event.

I love you,

Sam

fini