samandjack.net

Story Notes: Songbook Series 15: AUTHOR: Jez- jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: none

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis please.

AUTHORS NOTES: Welcome to my world. I’ve been wanting to get our fav. couple to my country for a while. The places they visit are some of my favourites. A huge thanks to my two beta gal's, Kes and Jenn!

FEEDBACK: Very much appreciated and cherished.


Jack woke with a start, slightly disorientated. He looked around, remembering that he was in a hotel with his wife. His wife. He grinned at the thought, looking down to see the familiar mop of blonde hair on his chest. He couldn’t believe how wonderful the previous day had been. He’d been sure that something would go wrong, but everything had been perfect. For once, the aliens had left them alone and allowed them to enjoy the happiest day of their lives.

Smiling at the memory, he gently moved Sam off him so he could reach over and get the phone. He quietly dialled room service, ordering them both some breakfast, before getting up and retrieving the two robes from the bathroom. He put one on, leaving the other at the end of the bed for Sam.

Then, he simply stood and watched her sleep for a few minutes. She always looked so angelic when she slept. Her face was perfectly relaxed, no lines of thought or worry that often graced it when she was awake. He loved how she curled up as soon as he left the bed, pulling the blankets up to her chin and folding her hands under her head.

Jack was shaken from his reverie when there was a knock at the door. Making sure his robe was secure, and Sam was covered, he opened the door and allowed the waiter to wheel their breakfast in. Tipping the young man, Jack closed the door behind him and headed for their breakfast. He was pleased to see a single red rose in the centre of the arrangement. He plucked it from it’s vase and headed back over to the bed.

Sitting down on the edge closest to Sam, Jack leaned over her and ran the rose gently down her forehead to her nose, then down over the lips that slowly formed a smile. “Good morning,” he whispered, as sleepy blue eyes greeted him.

“Hi,” she replied, stretching leisurely. “How long have you been up?”

He shrugged, bending down for a sweet kiss. “A little while. I got us some breakfast. Do you want to eat it in bed?”

She grinned, nodding her head and sitting up further as Jack went to get her breakfast. Placing her coffee on the bedside table, he handed her the tray with her breakfast on it. Her stomach rumbled as she smelt the delicious aroma of bacon and scrambled eggs. He returned with his own, and they sat in bed, eating their breakfast and talking quietly.

*****

The happy couple had to check out of their room by ten, which gave them enough time to go home and get ready for their flight. Sam grabbed her suitcase, lugging it down the stairs and smiling when Jack took it from her. “You know, Jack. It just occurred to me that, other than knowing we’re going to Australia, I know nothing about our honeymoon.”

“What else is there to know? You know what the climate’s like, when the flight leaves, when we’re coming home...”

“Yeah, but what are we going to be doing there?”

“Angel, I thought you knew what happened on a honeymoon,” he returned with a cheeky grin.

“Nothing will happen if you don’t tell me what you’ve got planned!” she threatened, a glint in her eyes.

Retaining his grin, he took her in his arms, not allowing her to push him away. “Come on, Sam. It’s not very often that I get the chance to surprise you. Let me have my fun.”

“You know I hate surprises,” she groused.

“I know, but you’ll like these, I promise.”

“And if I don’t?” she asked with a cheeky grin.

“Then I guess I’ll have to make it up to you,” he replied.

Smiling, Sam leaned into him, capturing his lips and kissing him.

The chiming of the doorbell interrupted the moment and they pulled apart. Sam headed for the door, opening it and grinning at Janet and Daniel.

“Hey,” Janet greeted her. “You guys ready to go?”

“Sure are,” Jack replied, grabbing their bags.

“Thanks again for taking us to the Airport,” Sam said, as they went out to the car.

“It’s fine,” Daniel returned. “We told you we didn’t mind.”

*****

Sam looked down at the head in her lap, smiling. She knew Jack was uncomfortable. Airplanes weren’t built to accommodate his lanky frame. Luckily, the plane had been relatively empty, so Jack was now lying across the row of seats, his head in Sam’s lap as he tried to catch some sleep. Although she’d never tell him, Sam thought he looked so cute when he slept. He reminded her of a little boy, his face the picture of innocence. Of course, knowing what went on in that brain of his, she knew better than to think him innocent.

Jack stirred, his face scrunching up slightly before he opened his eyes. He smiled as he saw the blue eyes looking back at him. “Your legs gone to sleep yet?” he asked with a smile.

Sam shook her head, returning his smile. “Not yet. Did you have a nice nap?”

“Mmm,” he replied, sitting up. “You make a good pillow.”

Giggling slightly, Sam reached out to smooth down a tuft of his hair. Her eyes were alight with excitement. “We’re almost in Sydney,” she told him, pointing to the screen in front of them, that showed their flight data on a map.

Jack grinned back and looked past her to the window. “Can you see anything yet?”

Sam shook her head. “No, we’re still over the ocean.”

Ten minutes later, the Captain announced that they were coming into Sydney. Sam strained to see something out the window, but had no idea what she was looking at. She was excited all the same.

They landed and the plane taxied to it’s designated gate before they were allowed to disembark. They collected their bags and went through customs quickly, having nothing to declare.

They walked down the ramp into the waiting crowd and Jack spotted the chauffeur who held a sign with “O’Neill” printed on it. Sam raised an eyebrow, but Jack just grinned and led her to the man. “Hi, I’m Jack O’Neill,” he told the man.

“Mr O’Neill, I’m Michael. I’ll be your chauffeur for the evening. Did you and Mrs O’Neill have a nice flight?”

“Yeah. It was a bit long, but other than that it was fine.”

“Well, Sir. If I may take your luggage, I’ll take you to your hotel.” He picked up their suitcases and led them out to a white stretch limousine.

He quickly placed their bags in the trunk, before opening the door for them. “I hope you will accept the bottle of champagne on us. Would you like to tour around the city for a while before going to your hotel? It is really lovely by night.”

Jack looked at Sam and, although he could see she was tired, her eyes lit up at the prospect. “That sounds great, Mick.”

Smiling, Michael closed the door for them and moved around to the right side of the car.

They drove around the city for just over an hour. Luckily, it was getting late and peak hour traffic wasn’t a problem. They saw the Opera House, lit up in all of it’s beauty, the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the fabulously lit Centrepoint Tower. Michael pointed out all of the attractions, telling the couple the stories behind them. He also gave them some hints as to some of the places they should visit, like The Rocks and Darling Harbour.

All too soon, they pulled up out the front of the hotel. “Here we are, Mr and Mrs O’Neill. This is the Sheraton on the Park.”

“Oh, Jack,” Sam breathed, looking up at the monstrous building. “Look at this place!”

Jack merely grinned as the chauffeur helped Sam out of the car.

They thanked Michael and went inside, where they checked in and were shown to their room. It was a large room that was elaborately furnished. The bathroom was all black marble and granite, with a large bath that Sam was eager to try out.

“Why don’t you have a soak for a while, baby?” Jack suggested.

She smiled her thanks. “What are you going to do?”

He shrugged. “I might check out what Australian TV’s like.”

Whilst Sam enjoyed a luxurious bath, Jack learned that late night television in Australia really sucked. He settled on repeats of Star Trek, laying back and relaxing on the bed. He was almost asleep when the bathroom door opened. Jack’s jaw dropped when he looked up and spotted his wife. He could only stare at the beauty before him. The satin negligee, which was the same colour as her wedding dress, clung to her curves and ended mid-thigh. “Woh,” he breathed.

Sam smiled. “Janet told me that even if I wore nothing for the rest of our honeymoon, I had to wear something special on our first night here. Do you like it?”

“Oh, yeah,” he replied. “Come here.” He pulled her into his arms, kissing her deeply. “You are so beautiful,” he told her quietly.

“Keep talking like that and you’re gonna get so lucky tonight,” she returned with a grin.

He cocked an eyebrow. “Dressed like that, I kinda figured I was anyway.” He kissed her once more and led her over to the bed.

*****

The next morning, they once again had breakfast in bed, Sam commenting that if they kept it up, she was going to expect the same treatment on missions. After they’d eaten, Sam wandered over to the writing desk and started looking at a folder which contained numerous pamphlets and things to do in the city. “There’s so much to see here. I don’t know where to start!”

Jack smiled at her enthusiasm. “Don’t make too many plans. We’re not staying in Sydney.”

“We’re not?” she asked, looking crest-fallen.

“Nope. Don’t look like that. We can have a look around when we come back. We have to come back to Sydney to catch a flight home anyway.”

That brought the smile back to her face. “So where are we going?” she asked, crawling onto the bed with him.

“The first place is called Jervis Bay. I don’t know that much about it, but I’ve been promised white sands, blue waters and spectacular sunrises. We’ll stay there for a few days before heading to the wine country, I think they call it the Hunter Valley. After that, we’ll come back here for a few days.” He smiled at her. “The first two aren’t exactly big international tourist spots, but a guy I know lived here for a few years and he assured me they were very romantic.”

She smiled, moving to kiss him. “You really are a romantic, Jack O’Neill.”

“Just keep it to yourself, Sam O’Neill,” he replied with an affectionate smile.

*****

They headed down to check out mid-morning, going to reception so that Jack could pay the bill. The receptionist efficiently checked them out. “Your car is outside, Mr O’Neill, and we’ve mapped out your trip for you,” she told him, before she turned to one of the porters. “Please take Mr and Mrs O’Neill’s bags out for them.”

Sam looked from the receptionist, who was handing Jack a set of car keys and a map, to her husband. “Uh, Jack? You’re not seriously going to drive, are you?”

He gave her an amused grin as he accepted the keys to the car. “Yeah, I am. What’s wrong with that?”

Sam shrugged, trying not to look worried. “Nothing, really. It’s just... you do know that they drive on the wrong side of the road, don’t you?”

Jack couldn’t contain the chuckle, thanking the woman and ushering Sam out the door. “I had noticed that. Don’t you trust me?”

“Well... yeah, it’s just...”

“Relax, angel.”

Despite Sam’s apprehension, they made it out of the city safely, and Sam relaxed once they got onto the freeway. They stopped for lunch at a little town called Kiama, eating down by the harbour as they watched the fishing boats come and go. An hour and a half later and they were almost at their destination. “Welcome to Vincentia,” Sam read as they drove past the sign. “What’s the name of the place we’re staying at?”

“Jervis Bay Dolphin Shores,” Jack replied.

They drove down the main street of Vincentia to a round-about. Sam spotted the motel to their right and pointed it out to Jack. He parked the car and they made their way to the reception desk. “Hi, we have a reservation for O’Neill,” Jack told the young man.

“Ah, yes. You’re our American honeymooners, right?”

Sam smiled. “That’s right.”

“Welcome to the Dolphin Shores. We’ve reserved the Honeymoon suite for you.”

“Great,” Jack replied. “Could you suggest somewhere nice for dinner as well?”

“Do you like seafood?” the young man asked.

“Oh, yes,” Jack replied with feeling.

“Well, you’ve come to the right town then. If you’d like, I can make reservations at ‘The Wharf’ for you. It’s quite a nice restaurant and specialises in seafood. Plus they have entertainment on Friday nights as well.”

“Sounds good to me,” Sam replied with a smile. She looked at her watch. “Can you make the reservation for eight?”

“Sure.”

They were shown to their room and left to settle in. Jack looked around. It wasn’t anywhere near as fancy as the Sheraton, but he doubted many places were. It was, however, clean and well equipped. There was a nice big bed in the main room and a large corner spa bath in the bathroom. The view looked out over the water. He felt Sam step up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her chin on his shoulder. “Can we go down to the beach before the sun sets?”

He grasped her hands, giving them a squeeze. “Yeah, that sounds nice.”

They left the hotel and crossed the road to the little reserve, before making their way down the steps to the beach. Sam was immediately taken by the whiteness of the sand. Looking around the bay, it stood out around the whole perimeter which ended at the entrance to the bay with a large perpendicular cliff-face. It was a spectacular view.

They picked a spot, and sat down in the sand. The waves broke in front of them, the sound serenading them. Jack smiled, pulling Sam back so she rested against his chest, wrapping his arms around her. He looked out to the horizon, seeing a large ship slowly make it’s way south, as he thought about how peaceful it was. Sam suddenly broke him from his reverie.

“Jack, look!” she squealed.

Looking in the direction she pointed, he saw what had grabbed her attention. A pod of dolphins were swimming and playing in the waves. He pulled her closer to him and they sat there, watching the dolphins as the sun set behind them. His friend had been right, it was a truly romantic setting.

*****

They headed back to the motel once the sun had set, deciding to try out the spa bath before dinner. Jack entered the bathroom to see Sam ensconced in bubbling water, a look of absolute bliss on her face. He stripped his clothes off and joined his wife, understanding her look when the bubbling water started massaging him.

They stayed in the bath for as long as they could, cuddling and kissing as the water bubbled around them. Only a glimpse at the time forced them to get out, so they’d be ready to go out for dinner. Sam dressed in a long black skirt and a mauve knitted twin-set. She grabbed a jacket and laid it on the bed. Although the weather was mild compared to late autumn in Colorado, it was still chilly at night.

Once they were both ready, they walked downstairs and were greeted by the receptionist. “Good evening Mr. and Mrs O’Neill. I have a taxi waiting for you outside.”

“Thank you,” Jack replied, ushering Sam out the door.

“Have a nice night,” the receptionist called, as they walked out.

Jack and Sam bundled into the back of the cab and he drove down the street. It was a ten minute drive to the restaurant, which was in the neighbouring town of Huskisson. Jack paid the driver and stepped out of the car, helping Sam out. She paused, looking around. The Wharf was a pretty good name for the restaurant. It was situated so that half of the building hung out over the water, looking out over Huskisson’s harbour. She smiled at Jack, who opened the door for her, and preceded him in.

The atmosphere was great. The whole restaurant was furnished in wood and decorated with authentic helms and nets to give it the feel of being on a boat. The lighting was low, making it quite romantic.

They were ushered to their table and left with the wine list and a menu. When the waitress had returned, they still hadn’t decided what they wanted to eat. “Can you recommend something?” Sam asked.

The young lady smiled. “If you’re not sure what you want, I recommend the Seafood platter for two. You get a mixture of both hot and cold seafood and I can guarantee you won’t be hungry by the end of it.”

Jack looked at Sam who nodded her approval. “Okay, we’ll have that, thanks.”

When the meal arrived, both Sam and Jack’s eyes widened at the amount of food. They’d be lucky to eat it all. The platter almost took up the whole table. “Enjoy your meal,” the waitress told them, placing finger bowls and shell crackers on the table for them.

Sam and Jack grinned at each other before starting to devour the feast before them.

By the time they’d finished, neither could possibly eat another bite. They declined the offer of dessert, instead ordering Jamaican coffees. They sat back as the night’s entertainment started and people got up to dance.

They had almost finished their coffee when the DJ finished his first set of tracks, pausing the music so he could speak. “We have international guests with us tonight, who are here on their honeymoon. We couldn’t let the night pass without dedicating a song to them, and what better song than a love song by one of our home-grown artists. Here’s John Farnham with ‘Touch of Paradise’ for Mr and Mrs O’Neill.”

Jack and Sam walked out on to the dance floor as the soft beat of drums filled the air. They came together, arms encircling each other as the music continued and the masculine voice started to sing.

Flamingos walk, and sway in peace
Seeing this, it makes my troubles cease
The sun is hiding, leaving a pink scar
That stretches right across the sky
That's all we've seen so far
And all I do is look into your eyes

For that special touch of paradise
Just a touch, a touch of paradise
Just a special touch of paradise

Jack had to smile at the words, and the truth behind them. Australia was a beautiful place, but they could have stayed at home and he’d still be in paradise. All he had to do was gaze into the deep blue eyes of the woman in his arms and he was there.

You hold my hand, that's when we kiss
And it doesn't take long no, until I get the gist
Of this love that stretches out across the land
Where rainbows flash, as we're walking in the sand
And all I do is look into your eyes

For that special touch of paradise
Just a touch, a touch of paradise
Just a special touch of paradise

Their eyes were locked on the other’s and both knew the other was thinking of the poignancy of the words. Sam smiled, leaning forward and pressing her lips to his in a sweet kiss.

A touch of spring, and autumn sweet
Well the trees vibrate when our eyes meet
And I think of all the love that we have been making
You touch my hand and I walk off shaking

And all I do is look into your eyes
For that special touch of paradise
Just a touch, a touch of paradise
Just a special touch of paradise

The newlyweds continued dancing as another song started up, enjoying the chance to let their hair down. It wasn’t very often that they had the opportunity to go out dancing at home, and they were enjoying it to it’s fullest.

They hardly got off the dance floor for the next couple of hours, but eventually decided to call it a night. They caught a cab back to their motel and went straight to bed, although neither were quite ready for sleep.

*****

Sam swatted something tickling her cheek, groaning as she rolled over. Jack chuckled, moving closer to her on the bed and once again running light fingers over her cheek.

“G‘way,” she mumbled.

“Nope. Come on, it’s time to get up.”

She opened one eye. “Jack, it’s still dark. What time is it?”

“0630 hours. Now get up. The sun rises at 0650.”

Groaning, Sam opened both her eyes and sat up. Then she remembered where she was. On her honeymoon, in a place that boasted spectacular sunrises. Suddenly awake and enthusiastic, she jumped out of bed and got dressed. She was just pulling a sweater on when she realised that Jack had already been dressed. “How long have you been up?”

He shrugged. “A little while.”

She cocked en eyebrow. “Doing what?”

“Nothin’.”

Sam knew him well enough to know that he wasn’t going to say any more. She finished getting dressed and let him usher her out the door. They headed down stairs and then Sam saw what Jack had been doing. The receptionist smiled and handed Jack a large picnic basket and a blanket. “Enjoy your morning,” he said as he held the door open for them.

“Thanks for your help,” Jack returned.

They headed to where they’d sat the previous afternoon and got comfortable. It was quite light, although the great red orb had yet to make an appearance above the horizon.

“What’s in the basket?” Sam asked, trying to get a peak.

“To be honest, I’m not sure. Darren, the guy at reception, said he’d take care of it.” He opened the basket and pulled out a thermos of coffee, then he dug around and found a large fruit platter and two sweet croissants.

At that moment Jack looked up and saw that the sunrise was beginning. He left the food where it was and pulled his wife towards him. They sat together as the sun slowly made it’s way above the water and up into the sky. The colours were fabulous, the experience breath taking. They continued to watch until the ball of fire was well above the horizon before starting on their breakfast.

*****

The next two days were spent exploring the beaches and nearby forests, as well as going on a cruise out on the bay. They saw the dolphins again, playing in the wake of the boat. They also got to see a colony of Fairy Penguins. Jack made a mental note to thank his friend for his recommendation. He hoped their next destination was just as special.

With some reluctance, they checked out of The Dolphin Shores. Although he’d learned that tipping wasn’t expected in Australia, he gave the receptionist a healthy bonus for all of his help. They got back in their rented car and headed away from the coast and over the mountains toward the Hunter Valley.

Sam and Jack were soon to learn that the Hunter Valley referred to very large area, and they were actually staying in a town called Lovedale. They both had to laugh at the coincidence. Not only that, but the place where they were staying was called ‘Blueberry Hill Estate.’ This set Jack off in song, “I found my thrill. Dah, dah, daaa, dah, dah, daaa. On Blueberry Hill...” He only stopped when Sam threatened to make him sleep outside. Jack could do many things well, but singing wasn’t one of them.

They got out of the car in front of a large colonial style house with a sign saying ‘The Homestead’ out the front of it. They were greeted by two Blue Heeler dogs, who yapped and played around them as they walked towards the large veranda. A lady, who looked to be in her late forties, walked out the door, smiling when she saw Sam and Jack. “Good afternoon,” she greeted.

“Hi,” Jack replied. “I’m Jack O’Neill...”

“Of course!” she replied enthusiastically. “You’re our American guests! Welcome to Blueberry Hill! I’m Mary, my husband and I own the Estate. Come in.”

She opened the door and ushered them into the large house. Inside was just as magnificent. They’d kept the colonial feel, with polished wooden floors and antique wooden furniture. “This is the main homestead and is open for you to spend time in. There’s the main lounge room which has a fireplace and television, as well as books and games. It’s where the guests often mingle before dinner. Let us know by lunch time if you’re eating here, so I can organise the meals. If you feel like going out, there are some nice little restaurants in town as well. While you’re here, just treat it as your home. The only rooms that are off limits are the two rooms down the end. They’re our private rooms.”

“It’s a beautiful home,” Sam told the woman with a smile.

“This place has been in my husband’s family for a hundred and thirty years. Now, how about I show you to your cabin?”

She ushered them both out the door and towards a gorgeous little cabin. It was made from cedar, with it’s own veranda and a chimney that indicated it had it’s own fireplace. Half way there they met Mary’s husband, Jeff. He was a tall man, with a weathered face that spoke of years of work in the harsh Australian sun.

“You’re lucky, there’ll only be one other couple here during your stay, so you’ll have the place pretty much to yourselves,” Jeff told them. “Feel free to wander around and, if you want, I can go and catch some horses for you to go riding on.”

“Thanks,” Jack replied for the two of them.

Jeff excused himself to go and do some work, leaving Mary to lead the couple to their cabin. She explained that the cabins were all set apart from each other, to give the couples the maximum privacy. Inside was just as lovely. It was one large room, with a fireplace in one corner, a comfortable looking sofa in front of it and a large four poster bed on the other side. A door on one wall led to the bathroom. There was a large basket sitting on the table in the centre of the room. “That’s just a little gift from us,” Mary explained. She smiled. “I’ll leave you to get settled in. Dinner will be at seven thirty.”

“Thank you, Mary,” Sam told the woman as she left.

Sam got to work lighting the fire while Jack went back to the car and drove it down to the cabin. He carried their bags in, smiling as he noted the fire was well alight. They sat in front of the fire until it was time for dinner, then they joined Mary and Jeff at the homestead. After a delicious roast dinner and some of the Estate’s wine, they returned to their cabin where they made love in front of the fire.

*****

Neither Sam nor Jack got up until after nine the next morning. They had breakfast in the cabin, which had a kettle and toaster in it. “You know what I’m disappointed about?” Jack asked, as he munched on a slice of toast.

Sam raised an eyebrow, surprised that he could have found anything disappointing so far. “What?”

“No one’s said g’day to us yet. I thought that was how Australians greeted each other?”

“There’s still time, Jack,” Sam placated, amused.

After breakfast they took turns in having a shower. Sam came out of the bathroom, running a brush through her still damp hair, having let Jack shower first. “What are we doing this morning?” she asked her husband, who was standing at the window, looking out at the scenery.

“We’re going on a wine tour. I thought that since we were in the area where they make wine, we had to go and sample it.”

“Well, one of us can sample it. The other has to drive,” Sam pointed out.

“It’s a tour, Sam. Someone else does the driving. Come on, we’re getting picked up at the Homestead in ten minutes.”

Sam put her shoes on and grabbed her sunglasses. “Is it a bus?” she asked, as Jack ushered her out the door.

“Something like that,” he replied with a smile.

She narrowed her gaze at him. “What do you mean ‘something like that?’”

He grinned that ‘I’m not telling you anything’ grin and kept walking.

There was another couple waiting in front of the large main building. They were younger than Sam and Jack, but greeted them with a friendly smile. “Good morning,” the young brunette woman said, her blue eyes sparkling with warmth.

“Hi,” Sam replied.

“You’re Americans, huh?” the guy, who was as tall as Jack, asked. His green eyes lit up, like he found the prospect exciting.

“Sure are,” Jack replied.

“I’m Amanda,” the petite young woman said. “This is my husband, Brad.”

“G’day,” Brad said, shaking Jack’s hand.

Sam giggled. “You’ve just made his day. He was complaining earlier that no one had said g’day to him yet.”

Brad laughed. “Glad I could help.”

“I’m Sam, by the way. This is my husband, Jack.”

Amanda noticed how they both grinned when Sam said husband. “Newlywed’s, are you?”

Jack smiled, tugging on Sam’s hand to bring her closer to him. “Yeah.”

“Are you going on the wine tour as well?” Sam asked.

Amanda nodded. “Sure are. Do you know how we’re getting there? Brad won’t tell me.”

Sam laughed, looking towards Jack. “Sounds familiar, I have no idea either.”

A few minutes later the four heard the distinct clip-clopping of hooves on the road. They all turned and the two women gasped. A pair of Clydesdales were trotting towards them, pulling a large cart. There were already four people in the cart, excluding the driver.

“Good morning,” the driver greeted, tipping his hat to the two women. “Are you four my passengers for the wine tour?”

“Yes, we are,” Jack replied as Sam hugged him with glee.

Jumping down from the cart, the man placed a large wooden box on the ground as a step and then helped both Sam and Amanda up into the cart. Once all four passengers were in, he placed the box back on the cart and got back in the driver’s seat. With a click of his tongue and a flick of the reins, they started off down the road.

“I can’t believe you,” Sam said, snuggling up to her husband. “You are so wonderful.”

Jack kissed her temple. “I knew you’d love this. What better way to see the country side than by the way they used to travel?”

“Careful, you’re starting to sound like Daniel.”

Jack gave her a mock glare. “You wanna go on this tour or not?”

Sam simply smiled in reply.

They were quiet for a few minutes, just taking in the rolling pastures and the odd pocket of gum trees. The driver broke the silence, calling to them. “I think you overseas folk might be interested in the farm up ahead.” He pointed to an area with six foot fences and then Sam spotted what they were keeping in.

“They’re emus!” she declared.

Jack watched as a few of the birds ran away from the rattling cart, their small wings flapping uselessly. “What do they farm them for?” he asked, curious.

“Mainly meat and oil,” Brad replied.

*****

Amanda and Brad became tour guides for Sam and Jack, pointing out interesting things and telling them the stories behind them. They stopped at several wineries throughout the day, having lunch in the garden of one particularly nice estate. Sam was a little reluctant to try emu, but they convinced her in the end and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

By the time they arrived back at the Homestead, both girl’s were quite tipsy and giggling at everything the guys said. Mary greeted them with a knowing smile and a pot of coffee.

They spent the afternoon wandering around the estate, talking and laughing together. Sam and Jack learned that Amanda was a hairdresser, while Brad was a brick layer and part-time bull rider.

“We were thinking of trying one of the restaurants in town tonight, would you and Brad like to join us?” Sam asked Amanda.

“That sounds great, what do you think, hun?”

Amanda turned to look at her husband when she got no reply. She saw that he was eyeing off one of the bulls in the adjoining paddock, no doubt wondering if he’d be able to ride it.

“Brad?” Amanda called, slightly exasperated.

“Yeah, bub?” he asked, shaking from his reverie.

“Sam and Jack asked if we’d like to go out to dinner with them.”

“Aw, but you promised you’d let me watch the State of Origin tonight,” he moaned.

“What’s that?” Jack asked, curious.

Brad opened his mouth but Amanda cut him off. “Oh, no you don’t. You may want to ruin our romantic weekend watching the football, but don’t wreck their honeymoon.”

Jack’s eyes lit up at the mention of sport. “Football, huh? What sort?”

Amanda simply groaned and turned away, but Brad grinned and started explaining how it was a Rugby League competition between rival states, New South Wales and Queensland. By the time he was finished, Sam could see that her husband was hooked. “I guess that means we’re staying here?” she asked, too amused to be disappointed.

“No, no. I told you I’d take you out for dinner,” Jack said, but Sam could see he really wanted to watch the football.

She smiled, moving to kiss him. “It’s okay, Jack. You stay here and learn all about Australian culture.”

He grinned. “It’ll make Daniel happy,” he quipped.

Amanda turned around and looked to Sam. “How about we go out to dinner then?”

Sam smiled. “Sounds good to me. I have no real interest in watching football.”

“Great!” Amanda replied. “I’ll meet you at the Homestead in an hour.”

With that the two couples went their separate ways.

*****

Amanda and Sam left their men in the Homestead, taking a cab into town. They settled on a small Chinese restaurant for dinner, having a delicious meal as they talked like old friends. After their meal they ordered coffee so they could continue to talk.

“So you and Brad have been married for a year?” Sam asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

Amanda nodded. “Yeah. This was my anniversary present.”

“What did you get him?” Sam asked, curious.

Amanda smiled. “I told him I’d stopped taking the pill. He thought that was the best present ever.”

“Wow. Babies, huh? I gather he’s keen then?”

Amanda nodded. “Oh, yeah. We both are but... I had a miscarriage last year, so I was a little nervous about trying again.”

Sam nodded her understanding. “What made you change your mind?”

The young brunette shrugged. “I really want a family. I’ve got no chance unless I try.” She smiled. “So how about you and Jack? Any talk of pattering little feet?”

Sam looked down at her coffee. “Not right now,” she replied after a pause. “Work’s too busy at the moment and to be quite honest I don’t think we’re ready.” She sighed at Amanda’s raised eyebrow, but felt as if she could confide in her new friend. “Things are pretty complicated when it comes to us and children. Jack had a child in his previous marriage. He had an accident and died. Jack’s never really gotten over it.”

“That’s horrible,” Amanda said quietly. “You don’t think he wants another child?”

Sam shrugged. “I’m not sure, it’s a hard subject for us to talk about. There’s another problem as well. There’s a chance that I can’t have children.”

“A tough situation,” Amanda agreed.

“Yeah,” Sam replied quietly.

“Which can wait until after your honeymoon,” Amanda continued, putting on a cheerful face and deciding to lift Sam from her melancholy. “Now, since the boys are no doubt having fun, why don’t we go to the pub before we go back to the estate? Do you like pool?”

Sam grinned. “Lead the way.”

They paid for their meal and walked across the road to the Imperial Hotel. The football was playing in there as well, but the two women walked to the other end of the pub for a few drinks and a game of pool. There were a group of truckies sitting near the bar, who were betting people to arm wrestle and basically being loud and annoying.

“God, I wish someone would shut them up,” Amanda complained.

“C’mon! Aint anyone man enough to take me on?” the truckie called.

Sam put the cue down and walked toward the man. “How ‘bout woman enough?” she asked.

“You wanna have a go, love?” he leered.

“Yeah, I’ll have a go,” she replied sweetly.

“Sam? What are you doing?” Amanda hissed, grabbing her friend’s arm.

Sam shrugged. “You said you wanted someone to shut him up, I just thought I’d oblige.”

“You sure you wanna do this, love?” the man slurred.

“Hey, it’s only twenty bucks, right?”

“Yeah,” he replied with a grin. “Hey, fellas! Check this out! This Yank sheila thinks she can beat me!”

“Yank what?!” Sam asked, heckles rising.

“Sheila is slang for woman,” Amanda explained quickly.

Nodding, Sam put her twenty dollars on the pile of money and sat down opposite the man. She could tell that he underestimated her, so knew she had a pretty good chance of winning if she could do it quickly. She anchored her elbow on the table and grasped his hand.

It was over in a matter of seconds. The guy had grasped her hand gently, obviously not wanting to hurt her, and Sam had wacked his hand down on the table. He looked at her, dumbstruck, as the men around him jeered him for being beaten by a ‘sheila’. Sam just smiled and grabbed her pile of money, getting up from the table and walking back over to Amanda, seeing the man leave the bar in embarrassment.

“How in the hell did you do that?” Amanda asked in amazement.

Sam laughed, ordering them both another drink. “It comes from growing up an Air Force brat and then joining up myself. The guys tend to accept you better if you come across as one of them.”

“This one’s on the house,” the bartender said, winking at Sam. “Thanks for shutting that lot up for me.”

Sam laughed. “You’re welcome.”

They stayed a little longer before the bartender called them a cab and they headed home. They decided that the boys were probably still at the homestead, so they got dropped off there. The night air was cool, and they hurried inside where the fire was roaring in the living room. The guys were still there, sitting with Jeff as they drank beer and laughed together.

“Look out, the little ladies are home,” Jeff quipped. “Have a nice dinner?”

“Yeah, it was lovely,” Sam replied with a smile.

“Who won?” Amanda asked, mildly interested.

“Bloody Cane Toads,” Brad replied with disgust.

“That’s Queensland,” Amanda elaborated for Sam.

Sam smiled, walking over and sitting down next to Jack. “Did you have fun?”

He grinned and nodded. “Yeah, it was great! Pretty rough game, that Rugby League. They don’t even wear any protective gear!”

“Sounds... great,” Sam replied with a grimace.

Jack had the good grace to look sheepish. “I’m sorry, angel. I know that wasn’t exactly a ‘honeymoon’ thing to do.”

Sam shrugged. “That’s okay. Amanda and I had a great time. And I’m officially a ‘sheila’ now.”

Brad raised an eyebrow. “Where’d that happen? Surely not at the restaurant?”

Amanda shook her head. “I took Sam to the pub on the way back. There were a few truckies in there being rowdy and betting people to arm wrestle with them.”

Jack groaned, seeing exactly where this was heading. “Sam, you didn’t?”

She just grinned, waving the wad of twenties in his face. “Pretty good for a sheila, huh?”

Brad’s jaw dropped. “You won?!”

“Of course,” she replied, cuddling up to Jack.

“You should have seen the guy’s face!” Amanda enthused. “He was *so* embarrassed.”

“You can take the girl from the Air Force, but you cant take the Air Force from the girl,” Jack quipped, giving his wife a lingering kiss.

“Now, there’ll be none of that in ‘ere,” Jeff jokingly chastised. “That’s what ya got a cabin for.”

Sam grinned at him and got to her feet. “Night then,” she said and dragged Jack to his feet.

Everyone laughed, saying goodnight to the couple as they headed to their cabin.

*****

It was with some sadness that the two couples parted a few days later. Both Amanda and Brad had to return to work, and Sam and Jack were heading back to Sydney the following morning. They exchanged addresses before they left, each promising to visit the other if they could. Jack drove back into the city, and they returned the rental car. They were staying at another hotel, which was far less luxurious than the Sheraton, but still nice.

Jack had organised for them to walk over the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Sam didn’t see the big deal until she realised that he meant over the very top of the monstrous structure. They had to be clipped on to the railing as the wind was quite gusty at that height and it was a *long* way down. They stopped once they were at the very top of the bridge. Their guide told them that they were 134 metres above the water. The view was spectacular.

*****

All too soon, they arrived at the Airport for their flight home. They went through customs and still had time before their flight left. They decided to check out the duty free shops while they waited. Jack bought a bottle of Bundaberg Rum, which Brad had insisted he drink if he wanted to get into Australian culture. Sam bought herself some perfume and she found the cutest koala teddy for Jocelyn’s baby. She bought Cassie a CD containing music by Australian artists. By the time she found presents for everyone else, it was time to board their flight.

Taking their seats, Sam turned to Jack and kissed him soundly. “Thank you. I had the best time. I couldn’t imagine a better honeymoon.”

“I told you that you’d like it,” he replied. He smiled at her, reaching over to stroke her cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you,” she returned, emphasising her words with another kiss.

They sat back in their seats as the plane taxied out, taking them back to the real world.