samandjack.net

Story Notes: Songbook Series 17: AUTHOR: Jez- jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: none

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis please.

AUTHORS NOTES: Jenn challenged me to write this part. Thanks for the idea! A huge thanks to my two beta gal's, Kes and Jenn!

FEEDBACK: Very much appreciated and cherished.


SG-1 stepped onto the dais that held the Stargate as the wormhole disengaged behind them. “Ya know, just once I’d like there to be something different on a planet,” Jack stated, looking at the trees surrounding the ‘Gate.

“Be careful what you wish for, Jack,” Daniel replied, pointing to several sets of footprints at the base of the steps.

“These are Jaffa footprints,” Teal’c told them, after closer inspection. “They are only several hours old.” He looked up at Jack. “I believe we should leave here immediately.”

Jack nodded, trusting his friend. “Dial us up, Daniel.”

Daniel had just pressed the first glyph when they heard a commotion through the trees. Jack quickly indicated for them to take cover. They scattered in different directions. Daniel and Teal’c ended up hiding together behind a large boulder. Jack was standing behind the trunk of a huge tree. He spotted Sam ducking behind a smaller boulder on the other side of the clearing.

‘Shit!’ Sam thought, ducking for cover. In the rush, her hat had come off and was sitting in the grass a couple of feet in front of the rock. She was about to duck out and grab it when a group of six Jaffa walked into the clearing. They were all dressed in full body armour, including a helmet in the shape of a cat’s head. They were dragging two young women with them. The two women were crying, clinging to each other as they were ushered forward. The Jaffa stopped, spotting that someone had started to dial out. He shouted something in Goa’uld, and the others were immediately on alert, scanning the area.

One of them started heading in Sam’s direction, and Jack tensed. He willed the Jaffa to change direction. He was just readying himself to jump out and start shooting, when one of the young women tried to escape, gaining the Jaffa’s attention. He sighed with relief as the Jaffa moved away from the boulder, but before the sigh had finished, the Jaffa had turned and was walking back towards where Sam was hiding. Jack saw what had caught his attention. In her haste to hide, Sam had lost her hat. It sat in the grass, barely visible, but the sharp eyes of the Jaffa had spotted it.

“Jaffa, kree!” he shouted, showing the others what he had found. He looked at the boulder for a moment, before raising his staff weapon and discharging it, splintering the rock and exposing Sam’s hiding place. Jack and Teal’c moved at exactly the same time, their weapons firing at the enemy without a second thought. Daniel was firing with them seconds later, his reflexes not quite as sharp as the two soldiers.

It was all over quickly. Teal’c received a staff blast to the shoulder, before he, Jack and Daniel were all shot once with a zat blast. Sam had been captured during all of the confusion and the remaining four Jaffa took her and the other two women through the Stargate. Jack, conscious but unable to move, watched helplessly as his wife disappeared.

The wormhole had disengaged by the time the three men could start moving again. Their muscles were reluctant after the shock the zat blast had given them. Jack tried to ignore the pain, both in his muscles and in his heart, getting to his feet. “I didn’t recognise them,” he said, trying hard to stay level headed.

“The symbol of the cat represents the goddess, Bastet,” Daniel supplied, slowly sitting up.

Jack’s face paled. “Bastet? Wasn’t that the one you mentioned at my bachelor party?”

Daniel nodded, giving his friend a sympathetic look. “Yeah, the one Jacob warned us about.”

“Did General Carter not refer to Bastet as a God, not a Goddess?”

Daniel shrugged and got to his feet. “I guess there’s bound to be inconsistencies now and then. In Earth mythology Bastet was a goddess.”

“I don’t really give a shit about Earth mythology right now, Daniel! In case you’ve forgotten, a Goa’uld has Sam.”

“We should return to the SGC and contact the Tok’ra. Perhaps they have an operative in this Goa’uld’s midst,” Teal’c suggested, not wanting his friends to bicker.

Jack reluctantly agreed. They had no idea where the Jaffa had taken Sam, so there was no point staying there any longer. He looked at Teal’c noticing for the first time that the Jaffa was injured. “Are you okay, buddy?”

“I shall recover,” Teal’c replied, stoic as ever. “Do not concern yourself with me.” He gave Jack a long look. “We shall get her back, O’Neill.”

“Yeah,” Jack replied, sounding anything but sure.

*****

Sam came through the Stargate and immediately knew she was in a Goa’uld palace. The room that housed the Stargate was garishly decorated with gold and Egyptian hieroglyphics. The halls were similarly designed, and Sam had the absurd thought that they really needed to hire a new decorator. Giving herself a mental shake, she concentrated on where she was going so she’d know her way back to the Stargate.

The three women were led into a room where a man sat on a throne. His eyes flashed, although Sam would have picked him for a Goa’uld anyway. He had that air of arrogance that only a Goa’uld could have. “Where are the other Jaffa?” he asked, his metallic voice echoing through the room.

“We were ambushed, my Lord. At the Stargate. They managed to kill three Jaffa before we escaped. We did, however, manage to capture this.” Sam was pushed forward. The Jaffa that pushed her, grabbed her hair, pulling her head back so that the Goa’uld could see her face.

The Goa’uld rose to his feet, walking toward her. He took at her fiery blue eyes and light hair. He ran a hand over the soft, pale skin on her face and neck. “She is indeed a special one. I want no one to harm this one! She will fetch a high price as host for a queen. Anyone who treats her improperly will be severely dealt with.”

Most of the Jaffa looked disappointed, but none of them dared to disobey. To improperly treat those set aside for hosting a queen meant the most painful death for a Jaffa. Death of their primta.

*****

As far as Jack was concerned, the debriefing seemed to last forever. Hammond wanted every detail, and there wasn’t a lot they could tell him. Finally, it was decided to send a message to the Tok’ra and hope that they could get some information on Sam’s whereabouts.

“I’d like you all to go to the infirmary and get Doctor Fraiser to check you over. Then I’d like you to get some rest.” He held up his hand as they all went to protest. “There’s nothing more we can do until we hear from the Tok’ra. You’re not going to be in any fit state to mount a rescue, if you’re dead on your feet.”

Reluctantly agreeing, the three men traipsed out the door and down the corridor to the elevator. They were given a wide berth by those they meet, the base grape-vine having already spread the news of Sam’s disappearance.

Jack could barely endure the compassionate glances he was receiving, which continued when they reached the infirmary. “Are there any injuries?” Janet asked, giving Jack a sympathetic smile.

“Only Teal’c,” Jack replied.

“It is not serious, Doctor Fraiser. My symbiote will heal the injury as soon as I can reach a state of Kel No Reem.”

“Well, I’d like to check you out anyway, Teal’c. How about you two? Anything I should know about?”

“We all received a zat blast,” Daniel told her, earning a dirty look form Jack.

“Which we’ve received dozens of times. Look, Doc, just jab my butt with needles already. I’ve got things to do.”

“You’ve got to rest, Jack,” Janet insisted, checking his vitals.

“How in the hell am I supposed to rest?!” Jack snapped. “My wife has been taken by a Goa’uld. But not just any Goa’uld, this one’s claim to fame is a brothel!”

Janet’s eyes widened, having not heard that piece of news. She looked at Daniel who nodded that the information was correct. “We think she was taken to Bastet. Jacob had warned us about him at Jack’s Bachelor party.”

“Fat lot of good that did,” Jack growled. “The first time we run into him, he gets Sam.”

Janet said nothing, not knowing how she could comfort him. She gave him his post mission shots and Jack left the infirmary without a word. She watched after him, her heart going out to her friend as her mind prayed for his wife. ‘Please, let her be alright.’

Jack headed straight for the control room. “Have you contacted the Tok’ra?” Jack asked as soon as he walked up the stairs.

“Yes, son. We sent them a message,” Hammond replied.

“And?” Jack prompted.

“We haven’t got a reply yet.” Hammond gave him a sympathetic smile. “We’re just going to have to be patient, Jack. It could take some time for the Tok’ra to get the information we need.”

“With all due respect, sir, Sam might not have that time.” He turned and walked out of the control room.

*****

I look at the moon and a single star
It’s making me crazy wondering where you are
I reach out and touch that heavenly face
Open my hand there’s empty space

Oh no, where are you tonight
I’ve got to know
Where are you tonight

*****

Jack walked out of the mountain and up to the clearing that he and Sam often went to. He couldn’t stand being cooped up inside any more, and if he saw one more sympathetic look, he was going to lose it. He sat down, leaning back against a rock, and looking up at the stars. “Where are you, baby?” he whispered.

There were so many stars out there, and even more planets. She could be on any one of them. She could be injured, in pain, crying out for him, and there was nothing he could do.

He closed his eyes and saw her perfect face. She was smiling at him. That loving smile that always made him feel so special. He returned her smile, reaching out to her. His eyes drifted open and his hand froze, the smile slipping from his face. She wasn’t with him. She was with the Goa’uld.

A twig snapped nearby, jerking Jack from his thoughts. Daniel walked into the clearing. “You okay, Jack?”

“Just peachy,” Jack returned in his usual, sarcastic manner.

“We just got a message from the Tok’ra,” Daniel continued. “Jacob’s coming.”

“About damn time,” Jack grumbled, getting to his feet.

They headed back into the mountain, going straight to the ‘Gate room. By the time they arrived, Jacob was walking down the ramp, the wormhole closing behind him.

“How are you doing, Jack?” Jacob asked as he shook his son-in-law’s hand.

“I’ll be better if you give me some good news, Dad,” Jack returned.

Jacob smiled. “That I have. How about we take this up to the briefing room?”

“Certainly, Jacob,” Hammond agreed, leading the way.

Jacob waited until they had all sat down before continuing. “We’ve had someone on the inside for a while. Many Goa’uld and Jaffa visit Bastet’s pleasure palace, and they often talk while they’re... enjoying themselves, so it was a place we could use to get titbits on the goings on of the Goa’uld...”

“This is fascinating, but do you wanna skip to the part about my wife?” Jack interrupted, losing his patience.

“I’m getting there, Jack. Our operative contacted us just before we got your message, telling us that Sam had been taken to the palace.” He saw Jack’s face pale and realised what he was thinking. “Don’t worry, Jack. Sam has been put aside for sale as a host.”

“And that’s supposed to make me feel better?”

“It means that she can’t be touched by either Bastet’s men, or by customers to the brothel. It’ll hopefully keep her safe until we get there.”

“So how do we get her out?” Daniel asked.

“We walk in, get her and walk out,” Jacob replied.

“Oh, yeah. That’ll work.” Jack’s voice dripped with sarcasm.

“It will if everyone does as I say,” Jacob assured him. “Okay, we need cover stories. I’ll be posing as the Goa’uld, Shu. It’s a name that the Tok’ra have used before, and Bastet will not suspect a thing. Teal’c, you’re going to be my Jaffa. We’ll need a costume that will keep your face covered at all times. If anyone catches sight of your tattoo, there’ll be trouble. You’ll be carrying my queen, Tefenet, who is ready for a new host.”

“It is unlikely that a queen would be carried by a male Jaffa,” Teal’c pointed out.

“I’m sure we can get our way around that if the need arises.”

“What about me?” Jack asked. “You’re not going without me.” His tone dared anyone to try and stop him.

“I wouldn’t even try,” Jacob assured him. “A prospective host is often ‘tried out’ before the purchase is made. The Goa’uld normally does the trying himself, but occasionally he will take another to do the testing for him.”

Jack’s face paled. “Tried out? You mean they could be...”

Jacob gave him a warning look. “Don’t go there, Jack. It’s not going to help, and I need you focused on this mission. If you can’t concentrate on the job at hand, you’re staying here. Got that?”

Jack swallowed hard and nodded.

Jacob’s face softened. “I know you’re worried about her. I am too, but if we do our jobs, then she’ll be back with you before you know it. Just stick to the game plan.”

Jack’s nod was more confident this time. “When do we go?”

“As soon as we’re ready.”

*****

Jack looked around and had to admit the three of them looked pretty believable. Jacob was ornately dressed in an outfit that only a Goa’uld would wear. Teal’c was wearing a traditional Jaffa outfit, including a full helmet that hid his face. Jack was simply dressed in tan coloured robes, a hooded cloak over the top which partially hid his face. Jacob had briefly instructed him in how to look the part. He had to remember not to look anyone in the eye, and to only speak when Jacob spoke to him. He also had to remember to act like he didn’t recognise Sam. That would be the hardest thing for him to do.

Daniel walked into the room, dressed the same as Jack. There was no reason for him to be going with them, but Daniel being Daniel, refused to be left behind. He was allowed to go on the strict instructions that he stay in the Teltac and out of sight.

They ‘Gated to a safe planet where the Teltac was waiting for them. “It’ll take us a few hours to get to Bubastis, which is Bastet’s home world. I think you should try and get some rest.” He gave his son-in-law a look that stopped him from arguing. “I need you rested and fully alert. *Sam* needs you rested and fully alert. Now go into the cargo hold and get some rest.”

“I shall accompany you, O’Neill,” Teal’c volunteered. “My injuries are still not completely healed.”

Jack and Teal’c left the bridge and headed into the cargo hold, leaving Daniel and Jacob to talk. “How are you doing with all this?” Daniel asked, knowing the older man must be worried about his daughter.

“I’ll be better once all this is over. I just hope we get there in time.”

Daniel’s eyes widened. “In time?” he echoed.

“Sam’s a beautiful woman, for all we know she could have been sold by now. If she has been, it’s going to be very difficult to trace where she went and she’ll be...”

“Turned into a Goa’uld,” Daniel finished for him.

“Don’t go talking about this to Jack,” Jacob implored. “He doesn’t need this on top of everything.”

Daniel nodded and decided to ask another question. “Jacob, I’m curious about something. In Ancient Egyptian mythology, Bastet was portrayed as a goddess. Now, I know there are bound to be inconsistencies now and then, but I was just wondering if there was a reason for it.”

Jacob looked toward the cargo hold, making sure Jack wasn’t around. He didn’t think a chat about mythology would do anything for the younger man’s frayed nerves. Seeing that he was nowhere in sight, Jacob turned back to Daniel. “Rumour has it that the Goddess Bastet was badly injured in war and could not heal her host. The only other host available was a young man, so she had no choice but to leave her injured body and blend with him. It is believed that once there, she enjoyed being in a male body so much that she decided not to return to her female form and turned herself into a God.”

“Really? They can do that without any fallout?”

Jacob shrugged. “The Tok’ra do it.”

“Yes, but the Tok’ra are recognised as two different beings. You are Jacob and Selmac. When a Goa’uld takes a host, the host’s identity is effectively erased. In essence, they become the whole being. I just don’t see how it wouldn’t create problems going from a Goddess to a God.”

“They’re Goa’uld, Daniel. Who’s going to argue?”

Daniel conceded the point, staring out at the stars as they whizzed by.

*****

Sam was split up with the other two girls, who were going to serve in the brothel, and was taken to a chamber where she was left with two women. “Do not fear, my child,” the older woman whispered. “We shall not harm you.”

“What’s going on?” Sam asked, nervous.

“You have been brought here to be prepared,” the younger woman spoke, her tone just as quiet as the older woman.

Sam’s heart stopped momentarily. ‘Prepared?’ “For what?” she asked, weary.

“To be chosen as a bride,” the older woman replied, as if the answer was obvious.

“Hang on a minute, I’m not going to be anyone’s bride,” Sam insisted, crossing her arms resolutely.

The younger woman looked at her, with pleading eyes. “Please, if we do not have you prepared shortly, we shall be punished.”

Sam reluctantly agreed, not wanting to cause the women to be punished. She was pleasantly surprised at how nice the preparations were. First she was bathed in a rich, milky liquid. Then her body was anointed with scented oils. Her hair was adorned with crystals and beads, and her face was painted in the Goa’uld equivalent of make-up. Lastly, she was dressed in an elaborate gown that showed off her figure.

“You are very beautiful,” the younger woman said. She sounded sad about it, like being beautiful was a bad thing.

“We will pray for you, my child,” the older women said as two Jaffa walked into the room.

Sam didn’t get a chance to reply as they ordered her to go with them. As she walked, she looked around, wondering if she should chance an escape, or wait for a rescue. ‘But do they even know where I am?’ she thought. Before she could make a decision, she had been led into a great hall. There were close to fifty women in there, all dressed elaborately. They cowered as they saw the Jaffa, who were pushing Sam further into the room. “You will remain here,” one of the Jaffa told her. “Do not try to escape, or you will be severely dealt with.”

They’d closed the huge doors before Sam could utter a word. She turned,looking around at the women who were looking back at her. “Uh, hi,” she said, causing the others to whisper to each other. Shrugging mentally when she received no reply, Sam wandered further into he hall, looking around for either an escape route or somewhere to sit down. The others were either seated or lying on large, soft pillows.

“You may sit here,” a woman told her quietly, indicating a pile of pillows beside her.

“Thank you,” Sam replied and lowered herself to the ground. She smiled at the woman, who slowly returned the gesture. “I’m, Sam.”

“My name is Celestial.”

“How long have you been here, Celestial?” Sam asked, curious.

“Almost three cycles of the moon. Either way, I shall only remain for a further five sun cycles.”

“Why?”

Celestial sighed. “Women are only kept here for three moon cycles. If they are not bought, they are taken away.”

Sam’s eyes widened. “To where?”

“I do not know.”

Sam and Celestial continued to talk, Sam trying to learn as much about her situation as she could. They were interrupted by a commotion as the doors opened and Bastet walked in with his two guards and another Jaffa. “This is Zep’hur, he is First Prime to Kek,” Bastet told them. “He will decide who of you are worthy of his master’s queen.”

Sam’s heart thudded in her chest as fear gripped her. ‘Oh, please, God. Don’t let him pick me.’ She watched as the Jaffa walked through the room, stopping now and then to examine a woman more closely. As he came near them, Sam lowered her head, looking at the floor. She saw his feet as he stopped in front of her, then felt his hand on her face. He pulled her chin up so he could look at her face, then pulled her to her feet.

“You are a beautiful specimen,” he told her, his hand gentle on her face.

“I’m a person, not a specimen!” she snapped, unable to bite her tongue.

Zep’hur laughed. “Beautiful and spirited. A most pleasing combination.” He ran a hand down Sam’s body, making her shudder. “I have a feeling you would be pleasing in other areas also.”

Laughing at her horrified face, he turned to Bastet. “My master will enjoy this one immensely, but he would wish to try her before making the purchase.”

“So be it. He may try her when he arrives, but if another wishes to claim her before his arrival, they may do so.”

Zep’hur nodded. “Very well.”

They walked away then, leaving the room. Sam didn’t know what to do. There was no way to escape and a Goa’uld was on his way to buy her as a host. ‘Come on, Jack. I need you,’ she thought, praying they knew where she was and would get to her in time.

*****

When Jacob landed the Teltac on Bubastis, they were immediately met by a large group of Jaffa. He, Jack and Teal’c exited the ship and Jacob asked to be taken to Bastet. They were led into a large palace, which had the usual Goa’uld decor of gold. They were taken into Bastet’s throne room, where the Goa’uld was reclining. “What is your business here?” he asked, eyeing them suspiciously.

Jack kept his eyes to the floor, even though he could feel the Goa’uld’s eyes on him.

“I require a new host for my queen,” Selmac replied, pointing to Teal’c’s abdomen.

“You allow your queen to be carried in a male Jaffa?” the Goa’uld asked in surprise.

Selmac’s eyes flashed. “I do not question your actions, Bastet. You have no right to question mine!”

Bastet bowed slightly, acceding the point and trying not to lose a sale. “I meant no disrespect. I was merely pointing out that it is an unusual practice. Please forgive me.”

“Very well. If you must know the reason, Tefenet’s original Jaffa was killed and we needed to find my love a Jaffa quickly before she too perished.”

Bastet nodded solemnly. “It is a sad time when our loved ones are not protected. She is ready for her new host?”

“She shall be ready very shortly. I would like her new host now so the ceremony can be performed on my home world as soon as she is ready.”

“I assume that you have brought the slave to test her before you make a purchase?”

Selmac nodded. “That is correct. I shall require a private chamber for the testing. My Jaffa shall wait there, but I would like the slave to accompany me.”

Bastet gave him a quizzical look. “May I enquire as to why you wish him to be present for the choosing?”

“It shall help him in his later performance.” ‘And if I let him out of my sight, he might to something stupid,’ Jacob thought. Selmac silently agreed.

Bastet instructed his Jaffa to lead Teal’c to a private room, while he took Jacob and Jack to a large room containing close to twenty women. “These are the ones I have set aside for the purpose of hosting a queen. They are young, strong, beautiful specimens. I guarantee that you will find the perfect host in this room.”

“Have these women been touched?” Selmac asked, praying the answer was no.

“None of these women have been used whilst I have had them. Before that, I can not guarantee anything. Kek shall be here later to try one that his First Prime has chosen for him, but if you pay for her first, she shall be yours.”

Nodding, Jacob walked further into the room, indicating that Jack follow him. He looked around, appalled as he saw the number of young women. ‘These are all someone’s little girl,’ Jacob said to Selmac, his heart heavy.

‘We cannot save them all, Jacob. Concentrate on your own daughter,’ Selmac replied. ‘We must make this look realistic,’ the Tok’ra continued, walking up to the nearest girl and grabbing her chin. Examining her face, he shook his head and roughly pushed her away. He did this several times, so it would seem like he was examining all the women.

Jack followed along next to Jacob, his eyes roaming the sea of faces for his wife. He finally spotted her, sitting over to one side, her eyes wide as she saw her father. Jack took a moment to look at her, in the elaborate gown and with her hair sparkling with crystals. Despite the situation, he couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she looked.

Jacob noticed Jack’s look and realised that he had spotted Sam. “You have found one that you think would please me?” Selmac asked Jack.

Jack nodded. “Yes, my Lord. That one over there, with the hair of gold. She seems fit and has a fire in her eyes.”

Jacob walked over to where Sam was sitting, his expression telling her to play along. On cue, Sam flinched away from her father’s hand. He reached out again and grabbed her chin, lifting her head so he could look at her properly. Sam put on her best indignant look, and pulled her chin away. “I do believe you are right. She has a spirit that I would enjoy breaking. I shall try this one.”

“A very good choice. She is of the Tau’ri. She is also the one that Kek has chosen. If you truly want her, I would not waste time. He shall be here soon.”

“Have her taken to my room immediately,” Selmac declared.

Bastet gave the order and Sam was pulled to her feet and led out of the room. “Please follow me,” he then said to Jacob and they exited the room. They were led down a long corridor to a room that had two guards standing outside. “Here is your room.”

Teal’c, Sam and two more guards were waiting inside when they entered. “Leave us now,” Selmac instructed. “I do not want my future queen to be viewed by everyone as she performs. Only my Jaffa shall remain.”

“As you wish,” Bastet conceded. “But if she is damaged in any way, you must purchase her.”

Selmac nodded. “Very well.”

The door closed and Selmac dropped his head, returning control to Jacob. He walked up to Sam, pulling her into a hug. “You okay?”

Sam nodded against his shoulder. “Yeah, Dad. I’m okay.”

“You sure, Sam?” Jack asked, running a hand down her arm. He had to touch her, needing to reassure himself that she was really there.

“They didn’t hurt me,” she assured them.

Jacob closed his eyes, not only in relief but also to prepare himself for what had to happen next. “Listen, baby girl...” he started, but couldn’t continue.

“What is it, Dad?” Sam asked him, glancing at Jack, who shrugged.

“Sammy, Kek knows I’m a Tok’ra. We have to get out of here, fast. Now negotiations can take hours, unless...”

“Unless what?” Jack asked, suspicious.

“Unless the goods are damaged,” Jacob finally finished.

Both Sam and Jack stared at him. “You’re not saying what I think you’re saying, are you?” Jack finally managed to ask.

“I don’t like it anymore than you do, Jack, but Sam has to be injured to ensure that we get out of here before Kek turns up.”

“I can’t believe you’re even... She’s your daughter, Jacob!” Jack shouted.

“I’m well aware of that! Just as I know that if we don’t leave before Kek gets here, you, Teal’c and I will be killed and Sam will become his queen! Is that what you want?!”

Jack reigned in his anger. “You know I don’t.”

“Then trust me, Jack. Do you think I’d be suggesting this if there was any other way.”

“How damaged is damaged?” Sam asked, a little nervous about getting injured.

“It’s gotta be realistic, sweetheart. He has to be able to see it.” He closed his eyes briefly. “You know I don’t want to do this, right? If there was another way...”

“I understand, Dad. I’d rather be a little banged up than host to a Goa’uld.”

“I don’t think I can do this, Jacob,” Jack confessed.

“You don’t have to do it, Jack. I wouldn’t expect you to.”

“I will do it,” Teal’c offered, wanting to save both husband and father the pain of hurting the one they loved.

“I shall do it,” Selmac declared, having taken control from Jacob. “I am sorry, Samantha. I do not wish to hurt you, but as Jacob has stated, it must be done.”

Sam nodded. “Lets just get it over with.”

Nodding, Selmac quickly backhanded Sam across the face. Her head whipped back at the force and her hand automatically rose to her stinging cheek.

Jack had to turn away. He couldn’t bare to watch his wife being hurt. He clenched his fingers in his hair, the pulling of the strands so hard it made his eyes water. He heard the crack of bone and Sam’s exclamation of pain and whipped around. Sam was holding her arm, which was obviously broken, her face pale and tears in her eyes.

Selmac gave control back to Jacob who was horrified at what had just happened. “Move her onto the bed and make it look as if we’ve been doing more than just talking,” he told Jack, his voice thick with emotion. He turned away, retching at the thought of having hurt his little girl. Selmac tried to calm him, telling him that she had been the one to do the damage, but it did little to console him.

Jack bit back the sarcastic reply and gently helped Sam over to the bed. He tore her dress in a few places and messed the blankets to make the scene realistic. He then reached out and ran his thumb across her lips, smudging her lipstick onto her cheek. He looked into her pain-filled blue eyes, giving her a reassuring smile. “We’ll have you out of here soon, baby.”

They stayed there for a while, needing the time frame to be realistic, then Selmac took control once more and opened the door, telling the guards to fetch Bastet. The Goa’uld arrived shortly after. “Did she please you, Shu?”

Selmac nodded. “She is in deed a fiery one. I am afraid that between her struggling and my slave’s overzealousness, her arm was broken.”

Bastet’s eyes flashed. “Then you must purchase her.”

Jacob paused, not wanting to seem too keen. He looked at the others and saw that Jack could be a problem. He was looking worriedly at Sam, ready to move to her if she should need him. Such familiarity could get them killed. “I do not want my Jaffa and slave here for the negotiations. Allow them to return to my vessel to wait.”

Bastet gave the order to his guards and they ushered Teal’c and a furious Jack out of the room. Jacob knew there’d be hell to pay later, but he was better off meeting Jack’s wrath then Kek’s.

“It is nothing that a sarcophagus won’t fix,” Selmac assured Bastet, once the door had closed.

“Hear me, Shu. I do not use a sarcophagus on these women. I promise those who purchase a host that they are untouched and I mean it. You have damaged her, you must purchase her. I suggest you give me what is owing and leave before my next customer arrives. He will be unhappy that you have damaged the host that he wanted.”

“Very well,” Selmac replied. He handed Bastet a box, which the Goa’uld merchant accepted. He opened it, seeing the Tok’ra recall device inside, and nodded his approval. Of course the device was faulty, but Bastet wouldn’t figure that out for a while.

“Your bid is accepted. Now leave this place.”

Nodding, Jacob took hold of his ‘merchandise’ and headed for the Teltac. As he expected, Jack was pacing just inside the entrance, looking none too happy. His frown deepened when he saw Sam’s pallor. “What in the hell took so long?!”

“Save it, Jack. Let’s just get the hell out of here while we still can.” He turned to his daughter, “Just a little bit longer, sweetheart, and then I can fix your arm, okay?”

Sam just nodded as Jack helped her sit down. He sat next her and Jacob quickly took the pilot’s seat. He got the Teltac moving and before they knew it, they were out of the planet’s atmosphere and away.

“I shall take over, General Carter,” Teal’c suggested. “You should heal Major Carter’s injuries.”

Nodding his thanks, Jacob relinquished the controls and moved over to his daughter. She was as white as a ghost, and had started shaking. “Come on, Sammy. Let’s get you in the cargo bay. Jack brought some blankets, so we can get you warm and comfortable.”

The two men led Sam into the other room, where Jack set about making a nest from a pile of blankets. When he’d done, he gently helped Sam so she was lying down, laying another blanket over her. He smiled at her, stroking her hair as her father gently took hold of her broken arm.

“This’ll hurt a bit, Sam, but once I’m finished, it’ll be fine,” Jacob said and activated the healing device.

Sam whimpered slightly as she felt the bones meld, the pain excruciating. Then it ebbed, leaving a feeling of pins and needles as the blood resumed it’s normal course.

“All done,” her father told her, patting her hand and moving it to rest on her stomach. “I’ll go and take back over from Teal’c. Just take it easy for a while, okay?”

“Thanks, Dad,” Sam replied. “Thanks for coming to get me.”

Jacob nodded and left the cargo hold.

Sam looked at Jack, who was still looking worried. “Are you sure they didn’t...” he started to ask.

She gave an exasperated sigh. “Jack! I said I’m fine. They didn’t touch me. Bastet forbade any of the Jaffa from harming me, and you guys showed up before Kek could come to ‘try me out’.”

Jack sighed in relief. “What about your arm?”

Sam flexed her hand. “I’ve got pins and needles, but other than that, it’s fine.”

She looked up at Jack, seeing that he was staring at her. “What?” she asked.

He reached out a shaking hand, touching her cheek. “God, Sam, I was so worried about you. All I could think of was what they could have been doing to you. I just... the thought of losing you...”

“I’m here, Jack. You came and got me, and I’m okay.” She saw that he was still looking at her like she could disappear at any moment. Trying to reassure him, she leaned forward and captured his lips in a gentle kiss. She felt Jack relax against her, finally realising that she was real.

When they finally pulled apart, both of them were breathing heavily. “You should get some sleep,” Jack said, seeing the fatigue in her eyes.

Sam smiled, reaching up and caressing his cheek. “Looks like you could use some sleep yourself,” she countered.

“Then let’s go to sleep,” Jack said, lying down on the blankets and pulling Sam down to lie beside him. They cuddled together, and were soon fast asleep.

*****

When Jack awoke later, he first checked to make sure that Sam was still sleeping soundly. He smiled as he watched her, ecstatic that she was safe and back with him. He looked around the cargo bay and noticed that both Daniel and Teal’c were resting as well.

Deciding that he wasn’t tired anymore, he carefully disentangled himself from Sam, making sure he didn’t wake her, and then headed out to see Jacob. He was about to greet his father-in-law with a smart comment when he noticed the slump of the older man’s shoulders and the shake of his hands as he reached out to the controls. “Dad?” he called softly as he walked further into the bridge.

“I thought you were resting,” Jacob replied, his voice thicker than usual.

“Yeah, I was.” He watched Jacob press a few buttons and then get to his feet. “You okay?”

He shook his head. “I never *ever* wanted to hurt my little girl,” he choked.

“It wasn’t you, Jacob. It was Selmac, and she did it to get Sam out of there.”

Jacob looked at his hands. “It was still my hands that... God, Jack I broke her arm! Snapped it like it was a twig...”

“No!” Jack insisted, turning his father-in-law to look at him. “You saved her life. You saved all our lives. You made a decision that I wasn’t brave enough to make. Thank you. Thank you for not letting me lose her.”

Jacob nodded, accepting the thanks. “I know you’re right. It doesn’t make the guilt any less though.”

“Sam doesn’t need your guilt, Dad. She needs your love. She needs her father.”

“She doesn’t need me now, Jack. She has you.”

Jack looked at Jacob for a long moment, trying to figure out how to make the man see. “She will *always* need you, Jacob. You’re her dad. Sam’s got enough love for the both of us.”

“He’s right, Dad,” Sam said, walking into the room. “I may have a husband now, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still need you.” She walked up to him, giving him a hug. “I love you, Daddy,” she whispered.

Jacob closed his eyes as he hugged her close. She sounded just like she did when she was little. “I love you, baby girl,” he returned.

Sam reached out and grasped one of Jack’s hands, enjoying being with the two most important people in her life.


COMING SOON- Songbook Series 18: I'll Be There For You