samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: "The Devil You Know" This little post-episode tidbit came to me this morning. Enjoy! =)


At the sound of the curtain being drawn back in to place around his bed, Jack opened his eyes to see Sam smiling down at him. He returned that smile.

"What are you doing here, I thought you were getting some sleep?" he asked.

"I just wanted to thank you in private, even though it wasn't necessary for you to play the hero." Jack looked a little confused. "When Apophis' first prime went to take me and you stood up for me," she explained. O'Neill nodded in comprehension.

"You're welcome, even though I like playing hero." Sam held back a giggle.

"You're truly strange, you know that, sir?" Jack grinned.

"That's what happens to you when you hang out with the 'lunatic fringe'," he replied, reminding her of similar words she had used a couple of years back. As if by habit, she reached out with her right hand and ruffled his hair.

"I'd say you're on the fringe of that 'fringe'..sir," she added, almost too late. He smiled softly at her, then looked startled as the curtain was pulled back.

"Major Carter, you know very well the colonel needs his beauty sleep," Janet chastised jokingly, hands on her hips. Sam turned to look at her and grinned. The two women shared a look, then Fraiser turned to leave. "One more minute, Sam, and that's it," she commented quietly. Carter returned her gaze to the colonel, then leaned down, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Sleep well...my hero," she whispered, then left the infirmary. When Janet went back to check on Jack, she couldn't help but chuckle at the smile on his face as he slept, and the slight mark of lipstick on his forehead.



The End