samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR: Ruth M. King ruth@snowqueen.demon.co.uk

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack, anyone else please ask

SPOILERS: The Rite of Passage


"And remember, be careful...." Sam warned.

"Sam...!"

"Your Mom can't afford a new light fixture every time you and Dominic make out on the porch."

Cassandra rolled her eyes, this joke was starting to wear a little thin. Just because the bulb had blown for a second time....bad wiring in that case, but Sam and Mom were never going to let her forget it. She could see her life stretching before her...every boyfriend she was ever likely to have was going to be told the same cringe-making story. Janet may not have been her real mom, but she certainly had the let's embarrass the offspring thing down. Sam wasn't any better.

"At least the stars didn't move," Cass sent back, smirking to herself.

"What?" Sam exclaimed.

"Isn't that what you told Mom? I think the exact quote was....If I ever kissed Colonel O'Neill, he'd swear the stars moved."

"That was supposed to be a private conversation!"

"Does Jack know this? I mean someone should tell him."

"Don't you dare!"

"I think he'd be interested...what's his number again...?"

"Why you little...."

Laughing wildly, Cassandra dodged away from Sam and was out of the front door before the other woman really had time to respond. Finally, teen scored one against the adult....Now they'd be wondering how much else she might have accidentally overheard. Quite a lot actually, considering the fact that neither her Mom or Sam were renown for keeping their voices down after they'd split a bottle of wine. Cass had also been witness to some very interesting details regarding Dr. Jackson. She certainly wasn't going to look at him the same way ever again.

She was still grinning two hours later as Dominic walked her home. They'd taken a short cut through the park...which was turning into a long cut, since Cass had decided she was never going to kiss anyone near the house ever, ever again. Ever again. As for inviting him in to meet her Mom.....it made her shudder just thinking about it.

It was a clear, warm night and the two teenagers lingered longer than they might have done. They seemed to have the area to themselves, and it was a pity not to take advantage. Besides it was cool just to sit out here a while and watch the stars. Although Cass knew she'd have hell to pay if she did miss her curfew, she figured she could run the rest of the way home. Anyways, Dominic would start to get twitchy before long. He was a great guy, but definitely scared of her Mom. Then again so were most men...even Teal'c. But Mom wouldn't jam a needle into Dominic's butt...would she?

"Cass?" Dominic whispered, diverting her attention.

"What?" she replied.

"Isn't that your Mom's friend?"

Cassandra sat up, straining her eyes in the darkness. There were certainly two people wandering along one of the paths....and one of them was blonde. The moon wasn't out, which made it doubly difficult to be sure. It could be Sam but then again....

The low sound of a man's voice came drifting through the night air, answered by a very distinctive laugh. It was Sam. Now they'd stepped out of the shadows, Cass could see a lot better. It was Sam and the man with her was unmistakably Jack O'Neill.

"Let's go," Dominic urged.

"No, wait. I want to see this," Cass told him.

He surrendered into silence as they continued to observe the oblivious couple. Jack was slowly bringing his hands to cup Sam's face, his voice having dropped to an unintelligible whisper. Whatever Sam's reply was, it was positive. She tilted her head slightly allowing Jack to kiss her. Cass felt a lump in her throat as she watched the two of them. They seemed very tentative, nervous almost. It was like they were kissing for the first time. An intensely private moment, one that Cass knew she shouldn't be witnessing. Even so, she couldn't seem to tear herself away. Continuing to watch as they wrapped their arms about each other, the space between their bodies disappearing.

"Are they going to come up for air, or what?" the voice at her elbow hissed. "You'd have thought they could get a room!"

Boys!!! Realising that expecting some sort of sensitive response was probably asking too much and that Sam and Jack might hear him, Cass grabbed Dominic's hand and they left as quietly as they could. She only looked back once.

Sam and Jack were still kissing, their outline silhouetted against the night. Above their heads a star arched a fiery trail across the sky.

"Well...what do ya know," Cass smiled to herself. "I guess Sam was right."