samandjack.net

Story Notes: His and Hers 12: SPOILER: none

SERIES: 12th story in 'His and Hers' www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/index#hah

Note: Note: Thanks to everyone who had send me their reviews and feedback. It does encourages me to write more. And thanks to Aud who beta-read this one for me. And yeah, I realized that I've given you the wrong title in previous story, it was one of a few options that I have for this one. But I think this one is much appropriate title to use. You'll see why.

--------------------------------------------------
URL of this story (for better formatting):
www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/hisandhers12.htm
--------------------------------------------------


*Tuesday, 22 July 2003*



11.32 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, do you realize that there are rumors going around the SGC that you are having an affair with Felger? And believe it or not, people are asking me for confirmation. What do you want me to say to them?



11.33 : Sam Carter

Are you serious? Jay and me? An affair?



11.33 : Jack O'Neill

Yes, I am. And yes, you and that geek. Having an affair.



11.33 : Sam Carter

You do realize that technically, I'm a geek too. And technically, for me to have an affair, I must have a husband or a boyfriend. The last time I checked, I still lacked either.



11.33 : Jack O'Neill

Yes, but you are a cool geek. And technically, you know how to use a P-90 too. Thus, I will never say it out loud. And you were having an affair because apparently, you and one of the other SG-1 members, (me, Daniel or Teal'c, some even speculated that it was Jonas) had been seeing each other behind everyone else's back.



11.33 : Sam Carter

As bizarre as this conversation turns, can you please confirm that you didn't make that gossip up.



11.33 : Jack O'Neill

Not me. Maybe Felger's been boasting about his 'date' with you. Who knows? But it's definitely not me who revealed this new piece of information.



11.33 : Sam Carter

It's not a date. And I think you were right when you said that it'd send him the wrong signals. I'm going to cancel it.



11.33 : Jack O'Neill

Are you sure you can handle a grown man crying, Carter? I bet that is what he'll do when you call the whole thing off. Imagine his eyes glistening with tears, and then the pathetic sobbing will start ...



11.33 : Sam Carter

Are you serious? It won't be that bad, will it?



11.33 : Jack O'Neill

Just let me know when you're going to break the news - or his heart for that matter, I want to see it. It should be a very fine piece of entertainment.



11.34 : Sam Carter

You're the kind of person who takes pleasure from the suffering of others, aren't you?



11.34 : Jack O'Neill

That's me alright. And don't you dare deny that you're not the same. I know you.



11.34 : Sam Carter

I'm not denying it. But I'm not confirming it, either.



11.34 : Jack O'Neill

Sweet. So be a good girl and share your fun, OK?



11.34 : Sam Carter

With all due respect, Sir; IN YOUR DREAMS.

If I'm going to do it, I'll do it in private, away from prying eyes such as yours.



11.34 : Jack O'Neill

You've wounded me. I'm not prying. I'm witnessing an important event.



11.34 : Sam Carter

You're not very convincing in acting like the 'wounded man'. There is no desperation or hurt in your writing. You need more practice, Sir.



11.34 : Jack O'Neill

Fine, fine. Go break that geek's heart in private. You don't have to insult me.



11.34 : Sam Carter

You make it sound as if I'm a cold-hearted woman.



11.34 : Jack O'Neill

Nah. An evil woman is more like it.



11.34 : Sam Carter

What's wrong with evil? Evil is good.



11.35 : Jack O'Neill

Yes it is. As long as I'm not the victim, then I enjoy your evilness immensely.



11.35 : Sam Carter

I'm glad that you like it. It's nice to know that you at least appreciate my work in that department.



11.35 : Jack O'Neill

What are you saying? I always appreciate all your work.



11.35 : Sam Carter

Sure. That's why you always ask whether the project that I'm currently working on involves the creation of a big honking space gun or not.



11.35 : Jack O'Neill

You can't blame me for pestering you for that! Who knows, one day you will finally succumb and spend all your precious time creating that gun I've been wanting to fire up the Goa'ulds' ass. I'll guarantee that it'll be time worth spending.

O'Neill's third lesson in life: Ask (constantly), and thy shall receive.



11.35 : Sam Carter

It's more like: 'Bug people (constantly), and they shall do whatever I say, whether they like it or not' to me.



11.35 : Jack O'Neill

You're a very perceptive person, Major. I like that.



11.36 : Sam Carter

Flattery won't get you anywhere, Colonel. Creating a weapon like that would be beyond my capabilities.



11.36 : Jack O'Neill

Since when did that ever stop you? You have a knack of doing impossible things, don't you?



11.36 : Sam Carter

Whoops, look at the time. I have to go now. Janet and I are having lunch together. Probably off-base. I'll see you at the 15.00 briefing.



11.36 : Jack O'Neill

You're getting good at avoiding my questions.



11.36 : Sam Carter

I have a good mentor. But I've really gotta go now, Sir.



11.36 : Jack O'Neill

OK. Enjoy your lunch.



11.36 : Sam Carter

Thanks. Do you want me to buy you something while I'm in town?



11.36 : Jack O'Neill

Nah, you and the Doc go have your girly meeting.



11.37 : Sam Carter

Girly meeting?



11.37 : Jack O'Neill

Yes. Is there something wrong with that?



11.37 : Sam Carter

Anyone else, I wouldn't let them get away with it. But because it's you, I guess I have to let this one go.



11.37 : Jack O'Neill

Sweet.



11.37 : Sam Carter

See you later, Colonel.



11.37 : Jack O'Neill

See you, Carter. Have fun with the Doc.



***



14.37 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, I saw Daniel engrossed in his new Palm in the commissary. Have you just given it to him?



14.37 : Sam Carter

Yes, Sir. That's the Palm that I promised him last week.



14.38 : Jack O'Neill

He wouldn't happen to have access to this journal, would he?



14.38 : Sam Carter

No, no. I didn't install that function on his. He won't need it anyway.



14.38 : Jack O'Neill

Good. For a moment, I was a bit worried there.



14.38 : Sam Carter

Worried? Why?



14.38 : Jack O'Neill

Because if Daniel is joining us, you'll stop being the annoying, calculating, manipulating and not to mention the witty person that you are, and transform back to being your usual self.



14.38 : Sam Carter

Er ... can you rephrase that in terms that don't make me feel insulted?



14.38 : Jack O'Neill

Sure.

If Daniel's here, you'll stop being honest with me.



14.38 : Sam Carter

What are you talking about? I'm always honest with you.



14.38 : Jack O'Neill

Maybe 'honest' wasn't such a good word to describe it. What I mean is, you'll withhold yourself, given our working relationship and our ranks in the military, in front of the others. There is something that you can't and won't speak out loud. But here, because it's just the two of us, there's nothing to restrict you. And if Daniel was here, then that's what will happen.



14.39 : Sam Carter

I can see your point. Even though I love Daniel like a brother, he is not 'us', is he?



14.39 : Jack O'Neill

No, he's not. And I love having something that is exclusively for us. I want to keep it that way.



14.39 : Sam Carter

Me too.



14.39 : Jack O'Neill

Alright, now that it is sorted, have you told Felger yet?



14.39 : Sam Carter

Yes, I have.



14.39 : Jack O'Neill

And?



14.39 : Sam Carter

And what?



14.39 : Jack O'Neill

What happened? Did he cry? Did he scream? Or did he just go mental?



14.39 : Sam Carter

None of the above. I hope.



14.39 : Jack O'Neill

You hope? What do you mean 'you hope'?



14.39 : Sam Carter

I sent him an email. I've been busy.



14.39 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, Carter, Carter. I thought I taught you better than this.



14.40 : Sam Carter

He wasn't in today. And I don't want to postpone the cancellation any longer. It's better for him to know about it earlier, rather than later. I did say that I was very sorry, though. And I also explained the whole misunderstanding to him.



14.40 : Jack O'Neill

I can't believe that I feel sorry for Felger. Getting dumped by email. How sad is that?



14.40 : Sam Carter

I was not 'dumping' him. We never were an item to begin with.



14.40 : Jack O'Neill

That's not what the grapevine said, the last time I heard.



14.40 : Sam Carter

Dare I ask, what was it saying?



14.40 : Jack O'Neill

Probably not. But you're not the kind of girl who gets scared easily, are you?

So, here's the deal. Felger was planning to propose to you tonight. And don't shoot me; I'm just the messenger, but it appears that the reason why he was proposing is because you were carrying his child.



14.40 : Sam Carter

I'm what? Have they gone mad?



14.40 : Jack O'Neill

Nope. MacKenzie's monthly report doesn't indicate that. They are perfectly sane.



14.40 : Sam Carter

Maybe he should run the assessments again, I'm sure the results will come out differently than the previous ones.



14.40 : Jack O'Neill

Enough with that. So what did you actually say in the email?



14.41 : Sam Carter

Well, I said that I've been busy, and that I was afraid I couldn't make it for the dinner that he invited me to. I also subtly explained that I didn't actually say 'yes' to the invitation anyway. Believe me when I tell you that you would be very proud of me if you read what I had written. It was stylishly done.



14.41 : Jack O'Neill

Rejection is a rejection, no matter how thick you sugarcoat the words. He must have been very upset when he read it.



14.41 : Sam Carter

Well, if you are that concerned about him, maybe you could cheer him up, Sir. You know how much he looks up to you.



14.41 : Jack O'Neill

There are things that I would not do. Even for you.



14.41 : Sam Carter

Seriously, what's wrong with him anyway?



14.41 : Jack O'Neill

He's a geek.



14.41 : Sam Carter

So am I.



14.41 : Jack O'Neill

But you are a cool geek. MY geek.



14.41 : Sam Carter

Yes, you said that already. And I know how to use a P-90 too. But honestly, he knows how to do that now. And he's also kinda cool, in a scientific kind of way.



14.42 : Jack O'Neill

See. That's why I never saw him as a cool guy.



14.42 : Sam Carter

I guess I could let you off this time. Anyway, I have to go now, see you in the briefing.



14.42 : Jack O'Neill

OK. Bye.



14.42 : Sam Carter

Bye.



***



15.07 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, I just remembered something, what did you say to Griff? He looked at me funny in the commissary earlier.



***



15.10 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, do you copy?



***



15.14 : Jack O'Neill

Major, stop ignoring me! And that's an order.



***



15.16 : Sam Carter

Colonel, we've talked about this earlier, didn't we? Messaging each other during briefings is very risky. I thought you had agreed not to do it anymore.

Obviously, you still think that this is a good idea.

And please stop nudging me with your elbow. I'm sitting next to you, why can't we just pass notes like normal people do?



15.16 : Jack O'Neill

Because we're not normal people. And we do risky things every day, why should this one be different?



15.17 : Sam Carter

Because THIS risky thing could cost us our jobs.



15.17 : Jack O'Neill

And this is bad, how?



15.17 : Sam Carter

OK, our jobs and my professionalism in the eye of the general population. How's that?



15.17 : Jack O'Neill

And this is worse, how?



15.17 : Sam Carter

Colonel ...



15.17 : Jack O'Neill

I'll let this one go if you tell me what you said to Griff.



15.17 : Sam Carter

I just let him know that there are other ways to get what he wants from you. He didn't have to do everything that you asked him to do. I said that he was welcome to join the 'Manipulating Colonel O'Neill 101' class. It only costs $20 per hour, a very good price for the new skills that he will have acquired once he finishes the course.



15.18 : Jack O'Neill

Ha ha. Come on, Carter, be honest with me.



15.18 : Sam Carter

I am being honest with you.



15.18 : Jack O'Neill

Major ...



15.18 : Sam Carter

I am.



15.18 : Jack O'Neill

This is a real deal, isn't it? You're being serious, aren't you?



15.18 : Sam Carter

Yes, and yes. Daniel and I co-organized this course. Sometimes Teal'c helps too. It's a fun class to be in, Sir. Trust me when I say that we have no problem with getting people to join. It's very popular.

And it's such easy money to make, too.



***



15.20 : Sam Carter

Are you alright, Sir? It's so unusual for you to be this quiet.



15.20 : Jack O'Neill

I have a headache.



15.20 : Sam Carter

Now that I've told you what you wanted to know, can I go back to concentrating on Daniel? This is a briefing after all ... Sir.



15.21 : Jack O'Neill

Yeah, yeah. Do whatever you want. Like what I say matters to you anyway.



15.21 : Sam Carter

Sure it matters. I'll talk to you later, OK? Don't panic too much, it wasn't that bad.



15.21 : Jack O'Neill

Easy for you to say. Just give me some time to recover first.



15.21 : Sam Carter

You can take all the time you want.



***



18.09 : Jack O'Neill

Alright, I've thought this through and there is only one thing that I could come up with.

I know that there is no point in telling you to stop this illegal activity, so I'll settle for compensation instead. I want a 50% cut from the profits for copyright infringement. And this is a non-negotiable term.



18.09 : Sam Carter

50%? You kidding, right?



18.10 : Jack O'Neill

No. 50% or I'll tell the General about this little enterprise of yours.



18.10 : Sam Carter

Ah ... you forgot one little thing about that treat, Sir. You don't actually have proof about my entrepreneur status.

Besides, is this how you repay my honesty? I could have left you in the dark forever, but I was being a good friend, and let you know about this.



18.10 : Jack O'Neill

A good friend, huh? Tell me, how long has this been going on then?



18.10 : Sam Carter

Do you want the honest answer or the vague answer?



18.10 : Jack O'Neill

Oh no. That long?



18.10 : Sam Carter

That long.



18.10 : Jack O'Neill

My headache is coming back.



18.10 : Sam Carter

Tell you what, every time we go on a team night out, you don't have to pay for anything, how's that? We'll use the profit for that instead.



18.11 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, my headache.



18.11 : Sam Carter

Get some rest, Sir. We'll talk about this later.



18.11 : Jack O'Neill

Oh, I can assure you that we will.



***



22.34 : Jack O'Neill

Okay, okay, I accept your offer.

I'm not happy with it, but hey, that's the best that I could do.



22.34 : Sam Carter

You won't regret it.



22.34 : Jack O'Neill

It better be the case. Or else, you're the one who will regret it.



22.34 : Sam Carter

Don't worry, you won't. Has the headache gone yet?



22.34 : Jack O'Neill

Not completely, but I'll live. I think I'm going to turn in early tonight, it's been a long day, thanks to you.



22.35 : Sam Carter

Yes, it has. Sorry to drop the bombshell so suddenly like that, Sir, but you asked for it.



22.35 : Jack O'Neill

Why did you tell me about this now, and not earlier?



22.35 : Sam Carter

I don't know. Perhaps it's because we're on a different level of trust than we were a couple of weeks ago.



22.35 : Jack O'Neill

I think I like the sound of that.



22.35 : Sam Carter

Goodnight, Sir. I hope your headache will be gone by tomorrow.



22.36 : Jack O'Neill

Thanks. Goodnight to you too.



***