samandjack.net

Story Notes: Content Warning: M/F

Season/Sequel info: Sam's a Major, so Season 3

Spoilers: Tok'ra I & II, reference to Selmac

Author's notes: Thanks to Lara, my beta, and my mum for reading it first. And to all the great fic writers that inspired me to write.

Copyright © Lucie Grantham aka Shinara, October 2001.

Shinara


SG-1 stepped through the gate from P3X-892 to be greeted by General Hammond and a group of SF's. Jack, Sam and Daniel were laughing at something Jack said. Teal'c only raised an eyebrow. Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill however, seemed to be standing closer together than usual, as they walked down the ramp Hammond noticed a chain joining the two together. He thought it would be best to stop thinking about it until he could confront them with it in the briefing. This would be an interesting one.

"Good to see you back SG-1. Debriefing in 1 hour." Hammond called out over the intercom.

SG-1 moved to leave for their medical exam and showers.

"How are we going to work out the showers then Carter?" Jack asked on the way out.

"We will have to go via my lab. Actually we should do that before we go for the medical."

"Why's that?"

"Do you really want to explain this to Janet?" She asked displaying the set of handcuffs which joined them together.

"Good point, guys we'll see you down there, tell Doc we'll be there shortly."

With that Sam and Jack moved off to the lab to get themselves out of the chains before anyone noticed them. However upon arriving at the lab they found that nothing could cut through the chain, or the metal cuff that was attached to their wrists. They tried everything from hydraulic cutters to a blowtorch. Nothing seemed to cut through this type of metal.

"This stuff is stronger than Naquadah." Sam said starting to get ticked off.

"I don't care, and it's not that I don't like being this close to you Major, but we need to GET THESE THINGS OFF!" Jack replied fast running out of patience. Not only with the fact that the chains wouldn't come off, but the frustration of being that close to his Major. He didn't know how much more he could take without revealing certain things to her.

Sam on the other hand was running out of idea's for getting the cuffs off and having her CO this close was not helping her thought processes.

"How's it going guys, Janet is starting to ask where you are." Daniel said as he walked through the door with Teal'c in tow.

"Well Daniel, as you can see things are going just great!!!" Jack replied with all the sarcasm he could muster, while holding their cuffed hands in the air.

"Looks like we're going to have to go and face the questions. Okay next. How are we going to explain this without telling them about the bonding?" Sam asked with some concern.

"Maybe we could just say that it was a punishment for Sam for wearing a mans clothes?" Daniel asked.

"So why would they make it such a permanent punishment." Jack replied.

"Well you guys had better come up with something soon, because knowing Janet she'll be down here looking for you any minute now."

"Let me try some other things." Sam said as she started to drag out various doohickeys.

"This is getting us nowhere fast and we have a debriefing in 15 minutes." Jack said getting even more annoyed.

10 MINS LATER.

"Sam. You in there?" Janet called as she walked through the door. "If we don't get your medical done soon..." Janet trailed off as she saw the chain, which ran between Sam and Jack. "Ok. What have you two gotten ourselves into this time?" Janet asked with some amusement. 'This should be a good one.' She thought to herself. "Sorry Janet it will have to wait we have a briefing to get to." Sam said as SG-1 sped past her. "Wait, what about your medicals?" Janet called after them. "Oh well let them explain to the General first."

IN THE BRIEFING ROOM.

"Ok so what's the plan?" Jack asked for last minute confirmation before Hammond came in.

"The only explanation I can come up with is that we just told them we were already married and they slapped these on us as all married couples should be joined together. It was either that or have me 'marry' a local. It's not too far from the truth." Sam finally came up with.

"Ok so that's settled." Jack sighed finally. At least they now had a plan.

At that point Hammond walked in. Sam and Jack both stood. "As you were." Hammond told them. Sam and Jack hid their hands under the table. Sam started the briefing by filling Hammond in on the mineral deposits she found on the planet. Daniel followed it up with information about the culture that they had found, leaving out the parts about the cuffs and the strange marriage rituals. After all this was finished Hammond asked the question that had been bugging him since they came through the 'gate. "And who's going to explain to me why my two best officers now appear to be chained together?"

Jack took this one. "After we encountered Euru, who is the leader of the village, and his wife Jarina, they informed us that all women over the age of 16 have to be married by law. And as it seemed to them that Carter was not married, she would either have to marry one of the men in the village, or, if she refused, she would be put to death. We decided that it was best to tell them that she was actually already married to me. However, they asked us why, if we were married already, we weren't joined to each other. At our confused looks they lifted their hands to show us the chain that linked them together. It took some explaining on Daniels part to make them understand that we don't do this in our culture, and they then informed us that if we wished to get back to the Stargate without further trouble, we would need to be joined otherwise Carter would be in danger from other villager's that we came across. So we thought that this would be ok and that as soon as we got back we could cut them off." Jack looked at Sam for some help with the explanation as to why they were still cuffed.

"Unfortunately General, it turns out that this substance is harder than Naquadah. We have spent the last hour trying to get the cuffs off, or at least cut the chain. It will not budge sir." Sam finished shyly.

Hammond tried his best not to look amused. This did present a problem both for the base and in their personal lives.

"Until we find a solution to this problem then you two will have to remain on base. Now you had best go and get your medicals done. While you are there you can try to figure out how you are going to cope until we can get these cuffs off. Daniel can you contact the Tok'ra and see if they can assist us with this. Dismissed."

They all filed out of the briefing room and split up to go their separate ways. Sam and Jack headed down to the infirmary, while Daniel and Teal'c went to try to decipher the tablet's that they found hoping that they would hold some key as to what happens if and when people divorce, come to think of it what happens when people die, they couldn't carry a dead body around on their wrists, could they?

Jack and Sam walked into the infirmary and sat down on one of the beds to wait for Janet. "Hey guys, you gonna tell me what's going on now?" Janet asked as she walked in to start their exams.

"Nothing much," Sam replied.

"Yeah, we just decided that we liked the idea of cuffs!!!" Jack retorted with his usual sarcasm.

Janet was almost finished doing their exam when she looked at their wrists to check for a chaffing and she noticed something.

"How long have you had these things on?"

"Maybe 18 hours, why?" Sam asked confused by the question.

Janet held up their wrists and showed them what was happening. "The cuffs appear to be melting into your skin, the way this is going you will only be left with the chain. I reckon you have maybe 72 hours before we won't even be able to see the cuffs.

"After that we will probably never get these things off." Sam started to speculate.

Sam and Jack just looked at each other. Now what would they do?

BACK IN DANIEL'S LAB

"Hey Danny, how's it going?" Jack asked as they walked through the door, Jack letting Sam walk through first. Daniel noticed that they had taken to holding hands, as it seemed easier while they're walking, it saved them from bumping into each other.

"Sorry Jack, I can't find anything in these writings about their marriage or of any form of divorce." Said Daniel looking at the pair apologetically.

"Ok, let's head back to my lab I think that I have an idea." Sam replied.

On the way back to Sam's lab, Jack asked, "If this doesn't work then we really need to start thinking about certain things."

"Like what?"

"Like, how do we handle the bathroom issue?" Jack said looking rather uncomfortable.

Sam went red, "well, I'm not too sure, I mean when you need to go I can always turn my back, but it is slightly different for me, let's go to my lab and see how we get on, unless of course you are desperate???"

"Not yet!"

"Good let's see what we can do."

HALF HOUR LATER.

"Ok so which bathroom do we use?" Jack asked looking very embarrassed.

"We could use the disabled bathroom, plenty of room."

That sorted, Jack and Sam decided that they were in desperate need of a shower. So after going via the infirmary, and speaking to Janet, they decided that the best way to proceed would be to have Janet sort out some sleeveless tops which do up on the sides, like they had seen the people on the planet wearing. When that was sorted, they decided that Sam would go first, so Sam cut the sides on her t-shirt and then wrapped a towel around herself while Jack had his back to her, and they walked to the showers. Sam went into the shower and Jack stood just outside with his arm inside the shower cubicle. When she passed the towel out, Jack's mind started to work overtime. 'I've got to think of something else' he thought and started running through the hockey stats. It wasn't working, how could it. He had his very beautiful, very smart Major still attached to him while she was very naked, very wet and from the height of his hand, which kept touching her head, he could surmise that she was currently washing her hair. This was fine, but he couldn't decide whether he wanted her to think before she started to wash the rest of her, and only used her unattached hand, or not. If not things would really get interesting.

Thankfully Sam did think, he should have known, how often didn't she. He even asked her not to think too much one time. It didn't last long. As he recalled, that experience also left him in a similar state to the one he was in now. He just hoped that she would be too busy getting dressed to notice his predicament. Sam called for her towel, which Jack passed back to her. She then came out of the shower, and Jack's breath caught in his throat. He followed her back to the lockers in a daze. Sam then grabbed her things and turned her back so that Jack could get undressed. When he was finished he let Sam know and then practically pulled her arm out of the socket in his haste to get to the shower cubicle, making sure his back was to her the whole time.

"Hey," said Sam frantically trying not to drop her clothes. "Wait up."

When Jack got into the cubicle he breathed a sigh of relief, the relief didn't last long. When he realized that it was his turn to wash one handed. Sam on the other hand was trying to get dressed with only one hand, which was turning out to be a lot harder than she thought. Especially when all she could think about was her CO naked right behind her.

After a very stressful time, they managed to both get showered and dressed with nothing worse happening than two straying imaginations. As they left the locker room they noticed how late it was. Sam wanted to keep trying to get out of the cuffs. However after pointing out that they had not eaten since they got back from the planet and that it was now 21:00hrs, between him and his stomach they managed to convince her to get something to eat. They could try to workout sleeping arrangements while they were there.

After getting their food they saw Daniel tucked in the corner sipping a coffee and reading something. As they approached he looked up and tried not to smile too much, noticing their wet hair he asked, "How did the shower scene go?"

"Fine thank you and no we did not get into any compromising positions." Jack replied flashing daggers at Daniel who was trying hard not to laugh.

"Have you two decided what you are going to do about the sleeping arrangements?"

"Not yet. We were going to see Hammond about that after we have eaten, but I understand that he has already left." Sam said.

"Yeah, about an hour ago while you too were having fun in the shower." Daniel said not able to contain his laughter any more.

Sam kicked him under the table, but that only made him laugh harder.

"We'll have to call him at home to check we're ok for the sleeping arrangements." Jack said.

"Oh," Daniel said regaining control of himself. "The general said it was ok for you to stay in Jack's room."

"Oh, yay," came Jacks sarcastic reply.


After they had finished eating, Sam and Jack went back to the lab, where Sam decided to scan the cuffs, using various different equipment; into the computer before there was not enough of them left for her to do so. As she was working away, Jack was doing his usual fiddling with different objects in the lab. After spending an hour being glared at by his Major, and being asked to put things down, Sam yawned and stretched taking the Colonel's arm with her.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly.

"I'll forgive you, this time," Jack replied. "I think it is time to try and get some sleep."

Walking in silence they stopped at Sam's room to get some clothes, and then moved on to Jack's room. Once there Jack set up a changing area behind a sheet so that they could both get changed in private.

After a very stressful time, they managed to both get showered and dressed with nothing worse happening than two straying imaginations. As they left the locker room they noticed how late it was. Sam wanted to keep trying to get out of the cuffs. However after pointing out that they had not eaten since they got back from the planet and that it was now 21:00hrs, between him and his stomach they managed to convince her to get something to eat. They could try to workout sleeping arrangements while they were there.

After getting their food they saw Daniel tucked in the corner sipping a coffee and reading something. As they approached he looked up and tried not to smile too much, noticing their wet hair he asked, "How did the shower scene go?"

"Fine thank you and no we did not get into any compromising positions." Jack replied flashing daggers at Daniel who was trying hard not to laugh.

"Have you two decided what you are going to do about the sleeping arrangements?"

"Not yet. We were going to see Hammond about that after we have eaten, but I understand that he has already left." Sam said.

"Yeah, about an hour ago while you too were having fun in the shower." Daniel said not able to contain his laughter any more.

Sam kicked him under the table, but that only made him laugh harder.

"We'll have to call him at home to check we're ok for the sleeping arrangements." Jack said.

"Oh," Daniel said regaining control of himself. "The general said it was ok for you to stay in Jack's room."

"Oh, yay," came Jacks sarcastic reply.


After they had finished eating, Sam and Jack went back to the lab, where Sam decided to scan the cuffs, using various different equipment; into the computer before there was not enough of them left for her to do so. As she was working away, Jack was doing his usual fiddling with different objects in the lab. After spending an hour being glared at by his Major, and being asked to put things down, Sam yawned and stretched taking the Colonel's arm with her.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly.

"I'll forgive you, this time," Jack replied. "I think it is time to try and get some sleep."

Walking in silence they stopped at Sam's room to get some clothes, and then moved on to Jack's room. Once there Jack set up a changing area behind a sheet so that they could both get changed in private.

Once in bed they came across another problem. After both lying staring at the ceiling for some time Jack decided that this was not working. So they decided to try something different. Sam and Jack changed sides; this meant that Jack now lay face down with his arm draped over Sam's stomach. They both found this much more comfortable and were both asleep within minutes. During the night Sam woke up to find that she had rolled over onto her side and because of this she had pulled Jack with her and they were now spooned together with him behind her, their arms wrapped around her waist. As Sam went to move Jack tightened his grip and snuggled in closer behind her. As nice as it felt to be curled up with a warm body. Not just any body, this was her incredibly sexy CO. She also knew if she didn't manage to move them, this could get very embarrassing when they woke up. Sam was fairly sure that he didn't take his side arm to bed with him, especially on base. So she finally managed to roll over onto her back and Jack slipped back down onto his front. Quite quickly Sam drifted back of to sleep.

In the morning Jack woke up before the alarm, to his surprise they had managed to reverse their positions. He was lying on his back with Sam asleep curled into his side. The only problem he had was that his hand was lying across his lower abdomen, and because of this, her hand was somewhere even lower. For some reason Sam's hand refused to stay still and was causing some seriously erotic thoughts as the item she was caressing grew with every stroke. Jack tried to slowly move their hands up his body but as he tried to move, her hand twitched. Although this was extremely pleasant for him, it didn't help his situation any. Trying again, Jack heard Sam's breathing change and as she became aware of where she was, who she was with, and the placement of her hand, she jerked her hand away and in the process toppled them both onto the floor.

As Sam lay with her back on the floor, she looked up and sapphire blue eyes locked with chocolate brown. All the breath left her body as she realized that they had gotten themselves into an even worse, or was that better, situation than before. Jack's head lowered slowly towards hers and she raised her head to meet his lips. The kiss started softly, both being wary of the others response, they grew in confidence as the other responded and the kiss became deeper, Jack seeking entrance to her warm mouth which she gave him willingly.

Suddenly the alarm went off which caused them to pull apart breathing rapidly. They scrambled to their feet, Jack reached out to shut if off while cussing under his breath. He turned back to look at Sam, who was now sitting on the edge of the bed still trying to catch her breath, looking flushed and extremely beautiful. As Jack sat next to her she tensed.

"Don't worry I won't try anything." Jack muttered disappointed.

"It's not that," came Sam's sheepish reply. "It's more like a part of me wants you to try something, even though I know we can't."

"I know we can't do anything, doesn't stop me wanting to though. Come on, let's get showered and dressed before the rest of the base gets up."

They just managed to get out of the locker room, when they saw Daniel heading for them down the corridor, they turned quickly and started to walk in the other direction, when he saw them.

"Hey guys, how's it going?" He called.

"Just fine Daniel. You?" Jack replied sighing, he was not in the mood for this.

"Great, I slept just fine, you?"

"We managed to sleep well Daniel, thanks for asking." Sam replied to this one, she could see that Jack wanted out of here. "We've got to go, we need to get back to the lab and get back to trying to get these cuffs of."

They made it to the commissary, grabbed a couple of bagels, and went to the lab. They had only been there half an hour when the incoming alert sounded. They looked at each other and took off towards the command center; no one was due back until later today.

They arrived just as the IDC was received. It was the Tok'ra. Sam and Jack, along with Hammond went down to the 'gate room to meet whoever they had sent this time.

To everyone's relief Jacob Carter stepped through the 'gate. As he came down the ramp he greeted Hammond, then looked at Sam and Jack, then down at their joined hands. He looked at his old friend with a raised eyebrow.

"Let's go discuss this in the briefing room, shall we?" Hammond advised. "Sergeant, please have Dr Jackson and Teal'c meet us there."

Once in the briefing room, they all settled into their respective chairs.

"Ok George, what have these guys gotten themselves into this time?" Jacob asked.

Sam and Jack repeated the story that they had told Hammond, still leaving out the part about them actually being bonded or married. They still had not decided what to do about that. After they had finished they looked to Jacob to see if he had any answers.

"So is there anything the Tok'ra can do to help us?" Jack asked hopefully.

"I don't know yet, I'll have to look at what you've discovered so far, let me talk to George first and I'll come and meet you in the lab."

After the members of SG1 had left the room, Jacob turned to Hammond. "How long have they been like that?"

"36 hours at the most, why? Do you know how to remove them?"

"Yes I do. Question is, do I tell them that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Come on George, I know you. You're waiting to see what happens between those two, just as much as the rest of us."

"Actually, I've already pulled a few strings, and because of the nature of the work that we do here, they have given the SGC it's own set of rules regarding the fraternization regulations."

Jake looked at the grin on Hammond's face. "Have you told those two that?"

"No, I was waiting for them to ask me. They did get a copy of the new regs, but I doubt that they have read them."

"Ok, so do you think that anything has happened between them yet?

"Not that I know of, there seems to be no difference between yesterday and today. They did share a bed last night, but after talking to Daniel this morning, I don't think anything happened."

"Well, we have run into these cuffs before. Some of our aids ended up on the same planet, while avoiding the system lords. They ended up in the same predicament. Don't worry, there is no time limit on when we can take those things off."

"So, how do we do it?"

"You're not going to believe me."

"Come on, Jake, just tell me."

"Salt water."

"You're kidding me!!!"

"I told you, you wouldn't believe me, but it's true. They just need to soak their wrists in salt water for about 10 minutes, and the bands will come off."

"Shouldn't we go and tell them?"

"Nah, I think we should let them sweat a bit. See if we cant get them together because of this."

"Jacob Carter, you have a wicked sense of humor."

"I just want to see my girl happy, and I think Jack just might be the one to do that."

"I think you're right."

BACK IN SAM'S LAB

"So, what have you got to show me?" Jacob said, as he walked into the lab.

"Well, I scanned the cuffs last night, the results are just printing out now."

Sam and Jacob spent about 4 hours looking over the results; Sam gave Jack one of her toy gadgets that Janet had given her for Christmas, one of the unbreakable ones, to keep him amused in the mean time. Jack's stomach grumbled.

"Don't you two ever get hungry?" Jack complained.

"Not everyone eats as much as you do, Sir." Sam replied, at which point her stomach decided to let her know that it was time to eat. She looked up rather embarrassed. "OK, so maybe it is time to eat. You gonna join us Dad?"

"Why not, its been a while since I've eaten earth food."

"And you think it will be good for you, coming from our commissary?" Jack smirked.

On the way down to eat, they ran into Daniel.

"Danny, we're just going for some food, you coming?" Jack asked.

"Ok, I was just on my way to see you anyway."

After getting their food and finding a table, Sam and Jacob started to discuss their different points of view regarding the results. Jacob was making sure Sam didn't find an answer too quickly.

"So, Danny, found anything in the writings from the planet?" Jack asked. He needed to get out of these cuffs, soon. He didn't know if he could handle another night in bed with his Major.

"Actually Jack, I did, it turns out that there is a very specific ritual for taking the cuffs of."

"And?" Jack sat on the edge of the seat. Daniel noticed that all conversation at the table had stopped. Jacob glared at him.

"It doesn't say on the stones how it's done, only that it can be done." Daniel looked up rather sheepishly. Jacob heard Selmac sigh in his head and grinned.

"Well at least we know now that it can be done, we'll go and ask the General if we can go back to planet and find out how." Jack said.

"There's no point in you two going." Daniel looked like he was about to run out of the room as Jack turned to glare at him.

"Oh, and why's that?"

"Because if you go back and get them to take the cuffs off, Sam will only have to bond with someone else straight away. Don't forget, anyone over 16 must be married. They may try to force her to bond with one of their own this time."

"So you're saying that a couple can get divorced, but the woman has to be married again straight away?" Sam asked incredulously.

"That's right."

"Ok, let's go see the General with what we've got so far."

They finished eating and then headed out to see the General.

"So you see Sir, it would be best if only me and Teal'c went back to the planet." Daniel finished, looking to everyone else for support.

"Ok, fine, you ship out first thing in the morning, but make sure you don't come back married, ok."

"Yes, Sir."

Sam, Jack and Jacob went back down to the lab, and spent the whole afternoon and most of the evening there. Jacob went out to grab some food and bring it back to them. Around 11pm Jacob decided that enough was enough.

"Ok guys, I'm going to bed. It will make a change to sleep on a bed, instead of on that crystal. I suggest you two get some sleep as well."

Sam and Jack looked at each other, and looked away quickly, they were both looking forward to, and dreading going to bed that night. Each knowing what the other wants, and neither being able to have.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Jack said not very enthusiastically.

"Good, sleep well you two." Jacob said, trying to keep the smile from his voice.

"Come on then, lets go." Jack said. "We'll go wash up and then go back to my quarters via yours."

They went to the locker room, Sam's room and back to Jack's room all in silence. They got changed and then they looked at each other.

"Ok, what's the plan for tonight?" Jack asked trying hard not to make any assumptions; after all, Sam had a lot more to loose if something happened than he did. He had decided to put the ball in her court.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I was quite comfortable when I first woke up this morning," Sam blushed, "before I realized where my hand was, that is."

"Ok, if your sure?" Jack watched for any sign that she was uncomfortable about this. In fact she seemed more relaxed when she saw that he was worried about her doubts.

"Yes, I'm sure!" she replied confidently.

So they both got into bed, Jack on his back, Sam curled into his side, their joined hands resting on Jack's chest. To both their surprise, they fell asleep instantly, and slept right through until the alarm went off. Jack managed to reach over and turn off the alarm without disturbing Sam too much; he could tell that she was awake by her breathing. But still as he settled back down, she snuggled in closer to him; Jack tightened his arm around her, both enjoying this small pleasure. They lay there for about 10 minutes before Sam started to move. As she did, Jack again tightened his arms around her, and she realized that he had gone back to sleep. She managed to get herself into a position where she could see his face. She lay there for a while, admiring his strong features. She didn't know how much longer either of them could hold out, without something big happening between them. And since yesterday mornings kiss, they had been avoiding looking at each other, at least when other people were around, at any rate. Just then Jack opened his eyes and looked straight into hers. They smiled at each other, both wondering at how quickly they had gotten used to sharing a bed.

"I guess we should be getting up," Sam said shyly. She really didn't look like she wanted to move.

"I guess we should." Jack wasn't sure that he wanted to move either.

Eventually the dragged themselves out of bed, put on some clothes and headed for the locker room.

All clean and raring to go, they headed for the commissary and some breakfast. They were looking at another long day ahead of them. They got into the commissary and almost ran straight into a hurrying Daniel.

"Hiya Danny, what's the rush?" Jack asked.

"Briefing before the mission this morning. Gotta go, wish us luck." Daniel said as he hurried past them.

"Good luck," they both said at the same time.

They got their food and spying Jacob went over to join him.

"Morning Dad, sleep well?" Sam asked with a smile on her face.

"Obviously not as well as you did." Jacob looked up at the two smiling faces.

"Well we were both so tired from last night, that we just fell straight to sleep." Sam sent a warning look at her father.

IN THE BRIEFING ROOM.

"Ok, you two know the lay of the land, you know the situation and you also know that the bands can be taken off at any time, once we know how. Do us all a favor. Don't hurry back. Take your time, have fun."

Daniel looked at Hammond like he had just grown a second head, Teal'c raised an eyebrow.

"Sir?" Daniel looked confused.

"Do we not want to get the cuffs off of our friends as soon as possible." Teal'c asked, also confused.

"Well, *they* do, *we* don't!" Hammond replied, to the members of SG1 who looked even more confused now. Suddenly, as Daniel was trying to work out what Hammond was talking about, the penny dropped.

"Sir, you old romantic." Daniel said. Teal'c still looked confused.

"Actually is was Jacob Carter's idea, I just agreed to go along with it. However, if Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter find out about this, I'll know who it came from, is that understood."

"Yes sir," Daniel agreed with a rather large smile on his face. "Come on Teal'c, we have a long walk to the village, I'll explain on the way."

"As you say DanielJackson." The big Jaffa left without another word.

Hammond watched them go with a rather large grin on his face. He knew the Jaffa and the archaeologist cared a lot for their friends and he also knew that they, as well as just about everyone else on this base, wanted them to be happy, and together. Besides, the way things were going he only had another week and his slot in the "will they, won't they" betting pool would be over and he would have to pick another month for things to kick off. If he managed to get them together before the week was up, he stood to win a lot of money from this. As well as seeing his two best officers happy, which was by far more important, but a little extra money wouldn't hurt. It was coming up to his granddaughter's birthday after all.

Schooling his features, he stepped out of the briefing room, and headed for the Major's lab.

As he walked down the corridor he could hear shouting. As he stuck his head around the corner he saw Sam and Jacob having a stand up row about something. He wasn't sure what but the fact that Jack was trying hard not to laugh didn't seem to be helping matters.

"What's going on in here?" Hammond almost had to shout to be heard.

"Sir, sorry sir, we were just having a father/daughter debate."

"Jacob?"

"Nothing to worry about George, I just think that Sam is spending too much time on the base, that's all."

"Dad, this is my job!"

"George, how often, when she is given leave, does she actually leave?"

"Not very often, in fact I have even been known to have to order her to take some down time."

"I rest my case."

"Dad, I enjoy my work here, it's fun."

"But you need more fresh air. You need to go on vacation."

"Yeah, well that will be hard to do at the moment, won't it Dad!"

"Ok, time out. As you too seem to be coping well with the chains, Colonel, Major, I suggest you take some time out, take Jacob here back to one of yours for lunch and take the rest of the day off. When Daniel and Teal'c come back I'll send someone to pick you up." Sam looked about to argue the point. "Do I have to make that an order Major?"

"No sir." Sam said, eyes downcast.

"Ok, back to mine, otherwise Carter, you'll just log into the base system on your laptop."

They arrived at Jack's house half hour later, after going via Sam's room to get her some more clothes, and after stopping so Jacob could get some groceries, something easy to cook as Sam and Jack were insisting on cooking, even though they were still joined together. They went straight into the kitchen and unpacked everything. Jacob watched amazed at how easily the two were working together, even with the chain joining one arm from each of them. They quickly prepared lunch and then all three of them cleared away. They then all sat down, Jacob on the chair, Sam and Jack on the sofa, they both looked worriedly at Jacob who had been watching them carefully for any signs that their relationship had changed.

"Don't worry about it. It's not like you have much choice about having to sit so close together." Jacob said rather amused by their discomfort.

They watched the Hockey game that Jack had recorded during their visit to P3X-892 while they were watching; Jacob asked Jack if he could use the phone.

He got up and went into the kitchen to make the call. He phoned the base.

"George?"

"Yes, Jacob, how's it going?"

"Fine. They seem to have gotten used to the situation very quickly."

"How's that?"

"Well, the relationship doesn't seem to have changed any yet, but they managed to cook me lunch, without any help. I was thinking about coming back to the base earlier than planned. Give them some extra time together."

"Sounds good to me. Come back when you're ready."

Jacob said his good byes and hung up the phone. When he got back into the living room he saw that Sam had fallen asleep on Jack shoulder. Jacob looked at them and smiled. Jack looked up as Jacob crossed to sit back in his seat.

"Everything ok?" Jack asked, trying to move Sam without waking her.

"Leave her where she is, she needs whatever sleep she can get at the moment. And yes, everything is fine." Jacob said, again smiling at the two officers.

Just as Jack was getting comfortable again, Sam moved and ended up snuggled down with her head in Jack's lap. He looked down in a mixture of discomfort and embarrassment. They sat there and watched the end of the match in silence. When Jacob checked again, they were both asleep, Jack with his hand covering Sam's head, as if he fell asleep while stroking her hair. Jacob took the blanket of the back off the sofa, and draped it over his daughter; he hadn't seen her look so comfortable, even in sleep, for a very long time. He left, taking Jack's car with him.

By the time Jack woke up it was dark outside, his moving must have disturbed Sam as she started to move around. Unfortunately the way she was moving was causing severe problems for his thought processes. After a while she turned her head so that she could look up at him.

"Thanks for the blanket." Sam said while smiling up at him.

"I think that was your dad's doing, I only just woke up myself, and I don't remember turning the TV off or putting a blanket over you." He was sure that as long as she smiled like that at him at least once a day, he could live for ever.

"O-oh, do you think that we're in trouble?"

"From the way your dad was watching you from the kitchen, when you first fell asleep on my shoulder, I don't think so. Come on, let's see if he left us the car or got picked up."

They got up and went to look outside. As Jack had suspected, he had taken the car with him.

"Why do I get the feeling that something is going on here?" Jack asked looking rather puzzled.

"I don't know, but I need to get cleaned up."

"There we have a problem!"

"Why?"

"I don't have a shower, only a bath."

"Does that bath have a curtain?"

"No."

"So why did you suggest yours?"

"Because, I really didn't think that the General, either of them, would actually leave us here. Especially on our own."

They walked into the kitchen to grab some beers, Sam turned to pick up the phone and find out when someone would be coming to pick them up. She found a note.

"Colonel. You know what you said about being set up? I agree with you." Sam said.

"Why do you say that? And I think, under the current circumstances, you can call me Jack." Jack turned round to face her, as he did he saw the note that she was holding up.

Sam and Jack,

Give me a call at the base tomorrow when you want to be picked up. Have fun!!!!!!

Jacob/Selmac.

P.S. Jack, if you upset my little girl, you will live to regret it.

"Oh," was all he could think of to say.

They settled down to decide what they were going to do with their evening, they were thinking about watching a film, but Jack didn't have any films that they could agree on, they were flipping through the channels and finally found a stand up comedy show, they sat down to watch. A few hours and half a dozen beers later, both were feeling rather relaxed and ready to go to bed.

Upstairs, they got changed, on either side of a rigged sheet, and snuggled down into bed. After about an hour, both were still awake, trying not to move in case they woke the other.

"Sam?" Jack said quietly, trying not to disturb her if she was asleep.

"Yeah?" She sounded wide awake.

"I need the bathroom." Jack said, with a hint of humor.

"Couldn't you have gone before we got comfy?" He could hear the smile in her voice.

That taken care of, they settled back down.

"Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"I can't sleep."

"What do you want me to do about it?" Sam mumbled as she snuggled closer into his side.

"Normally, when I can't sleep, I go for a run."

She looked at the clock. "I am not going running with you at 02:00 hrs and besides, I don't have any running shoes with me."

"Well, what do you suggest?"

Sam looked up and into his eyes. She could see the same thing running through his mind as hers. She looked away, quickly. She did not need this, she was having trouble keeping her own thoughts under control as it was, she didn't need Jack putting ideas in her mind as well.

"Sam?"

She looked up at him and as she did, he lowered his head to meet hers. The kiss was sweet, and as they pulled away from each other Jack held up his free hand in surrender.

"Please don't kill me!" Jack said keeping a close eye on her.

To Jack's surprise, Sam moved towards him, slipped her hand around the back of his neck, and pulled him closer.

They were woken by the phone ringing. Jack reached across and answered the phone.

"O'Neill."

"Jack? It's Jacob." Came the answer from the other end of the phone. Jack looked down at Sam, who was watching him with a big grin on her face.

"It's Dad." He mouthed to her unasked question. "Yes sir, what can I do for you this fine morning?" Jack replied rather cheerfully for first thing in the morning.

"Well you sound cheerful this morning. I thought I'd phone and check that you two haven't killed each other yet. It's sounds like I had nothing to worry about." Jack could hear Jacob smiling on the other end of the phone.

"We're fine. Nothing wrong here. When did you want to come and pick us up?" Jack was having trouble concentrating as Sam had started to stroke his chest. He tried to concentrate on what Jacob was saying on the other end of the phone.

"Well actually, George has given you today off as well. We thought we may as well wait for Daniel and Teal'c to come back before we need to call you two back in."

"Thanks Jake, and thank the General for me as well."

"Do you need anything?"

"No, I think we have everything we need right here."

"What ever you say Jack, speak to you later."

"Speak to you later."

With that, Jack hung up the phone. Sam looked at him in question.

"We've been given time off until Daniel and Teal'c come back." He said with a smile on his face. Groaning as Sam replaced her hand with her mouth.

"Hey, how big is that tub of yours?" She asked with a wicked look in her eye.

"Plenty big enough for two."

They made their way into the bathroom.

AT THE BASE

"So????" Hammond asked waiting for the news.

"Well let me ask you one thing. How often does Jack O'Neill actually sound happy in the morning, let alone when he has been woken up by the phone?" Jacob said with a grin.

"I think we did it."

"I think we did. When do you think Daniel and Teal'c will be back?"

"Probably later on today. That is if Daniel hasn't gotten himself too buried in the culture of that world."

"Oh well, we can let them enjoy it for a while. I wonder if they will come and tell me." Hammond pondered.

"I think they will. What are you going to say if they do."

"Oh, I think I'll lead them on a bit and then ask why they didn't read the new rule book."

BACK AT JACK'S

Sam and Jack took their time getting each other undressed as the bath ran. When it was run to just the right temperature, they sat in the bath, Sam cradled between Jack's legs. He took the sponge and set about gently massaging her back, moving down her legs, then moving round to the front massaging up towards her breasts. She lent her head back against his shoulder and he moved up and over her throat as he kissed her on the forehead. She turned around to face him. "My turn!" She said with a sly smile. She took the sponge from him and moved over his body just as he had done to her, she only got halfway through the job before he decided that he couldn't take anymore.

"Let's relocate this to the bedroom, shall we?" He asked, his voice husky with desire.

Later as they both lay in bed, feeling extremely satisfied Jack decided he was hungry. "Ok, what do you want for breakfast? Even if it is lunch time." Jack asked as he turned to look at her. At the smile on her face, he said, "again? I don't think that I can manage that. You're going to kill me, I'm not a young man any more."

"You look perfectly fine to me, besides if you're gonna die, what a way to go. Ok, ok, what have you got in the cupboards?"

"I don't know lets go and have a look."

"Let's see, Fruit Loops? Cold Pizza? Pancake mix?"

"Do you think we can make Pancakes like this?"

"I think it would be fun trying."

Half hour later, both were covered in flour, but were sat down eating Pancakes and syrup.

"I think we need another bath. Better make it a quick one though, I have a feeling that the boys will be back with an answer soon." Sam said.

The phone rang. "Hello?" Sam answered as she was closer.

"Sam? It's Dad, Daniel and Teal'c have just arrived back. Are you ready to come back to the base?"

"Yeah. How long before you get here?"

"About half hour?"

"Ok, see you then." She hung up and turned to Jack. "Dad will be here in half an hour."

"What, do you have some kind of sixth sense that goes off every time the gate opens?"

"Not quite. Anyway we had better go and get cleaned up."

Just as they finished getting dressed, there was a knock at the door.

"Hi Dad, be there in a minute." Sam shouted out the window. They got some normal clothes together so that they could get changed as soon as the cuffs were off.

"Ok Dad, we're ready, lets go." Sam said as they walked out the door.

They drove back to the base in silence; Jacob however, noticed that neither Sam nor Jack could stop smiling. He knew he was right. He hadn't seen his little girl this happy for years.

They got to the base and went straight to the briefing room, to be greeted by 3 very expectant looking faces.

"Ok, what's up, are we joined at the head now as well?"

"Oh, nothing, you two just look very happy that's all." Daniel replied, still watching them.

"Ok people, take you seats please." Hammond said. They all took their seats.

"Right, so, we found out that all you have to do is, soak the cuffs in salt water." Daniel said, trying not to laugh.

"You are kidding, right?" Sam couldn't believe that it could be that simple. She never would have thought of it.

"Nope, not kidding. It took us a while to be convinced as well. But there we are. The locals were nice enough to insist that we bring some pairs of the cuffs back with us. Just in case you too wanted a divorce, and so Sam could be hitched to someone else. They will not believe me that we do not do that here."

"Ok, let's get down to the commissary and get these things off. Not that I want away from you altogether, Carter. But I would like full use of both hands back." Jack said smiling at Sam.

"No offence taken, Sir. In fact I agree totally."

They headed down to the commissary and managed to procure a large bowl, some warm water and a large amount of salt.

They stood there for about 10 minutes as the cuffs just dissolved away. When they raised their hands, there was no sign of the cuffs, only slight ridges on both their wrists.

"First, I want both of you to go and get checked in the infirmary and then, SG-1 are on stand down for the next 5 days." Hammond said smiling.

SG-1 and Jacob all went down to make sure there were no after affects from the cuffs. After they got the all clear, Daniel suggested that they all go out for a drink as they are on stand down.

"Thanks Danny, but we've got to go and see Hammond first. Meet you all in the commissary?"

"Ok, see you there."

Sam and Jack made their way up to the General's office. They stood outside like naughty school children.

"Are you sure about this Sam?" Jack asked. She had a lot more to loose than he did.

"Yes, I'm sure." So Jack knocked on the door.

"Come." Hammond call from inside. He looked up to find his two best officers fidgeting nervously in front of him and he tried not to laugh. "What can I do for you two? Feeling better now that the cuffs are off?"

"Yes, sir, thank you sir." Sam replied automatically.

"Sir, we need to speak with you. I'm afraid we have broken some of the rules, Sir." Jack said, without looking at the General.

"That's nothing unusual for you Colonel. What have you done this time?"

"Well sir, the Major and I have become involved, romantically. Actually, when we were got chained together on '892, we also had to go through a marriage ceremony. We're married, Sir!"

"You two are aware that that off world weddings are legal and binding, after Dr. Jackson's request?"

Both Jack and Sam looked nervously at the floor and then at each other. Sam nodded at Jack.

"Sir, we love each other and we want to stay married, if that means having to leave the SGC, then so be it. But we'd rather stay and be together with your blessing. Sir."

"When was the last time either of you read the SGC regulations?"

"When we first arrived, Sir." Jack answered.

"Well then, Major, Colonel, I suggest that you do so again. Here have a look at my copy!!!"

They looked through the copy of the regulations that Hammond had put on the table. Under the Fraternization Heading was a paragraph which was highlighted.

'As the SGC is a special base, and due to the nature, and danger, of the work that is done, also due to the fact that officers may be stranded off world for an indefinite amount of time, all regulations regarding fraternization amongst the officers are hereby withdrawn. However, if it is proven that emotions are interfering with the job, the commanding officer is still within his/her rights to reassign either or both members of the team.'

Sam and Jack looked at each other, and then at the General.

"Does this mean what we think this means, sir?" Jack asked, finally looking a bit more relaxed.

"Just don't let me turn a corner and think I've walked into a high school prom, with my officers making out in the corridors. Is that understood Colonel?"

"Yes sir. Thank you sir."

Sam and Jack left to meet the others in the commissary.

"How about a bar-be-cue at my place this evening? We can invite the guys over and make it a celebration."

"Why not." Sam said, with the biggest grin that Jack had ever seen.

The General watched them leave. Then headed over to see the Major who was looking after the betting pool to get his money. Things were definitely looking good.

The End?????