samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-MAIL: bray_4_amber@yahoo.co.uk

ARCHIVE: SJD Yes, Anywhere else, sure if you want it! And if you feel like dropping me a line and letting me know, even better. (I will get round to submitting to heliopolis eventually)

CATEGORY: Romance (Pete/Sam – but he'll be gone by the end, Sam/Jack and Davis/Hailey), Christmas fluff, my own slightly strange brand of humour….

SPOILERS: I guess up to season 8 but really there is nothing there that will spoil a particular episode – it's just general stuff.

AUTHORS NOTES: I can only warn you that there are twelve parts to this and they are very much un betaed because it took me so long to get this finished…. (I started for last Christmas and then RL kept getting in the way.) Also to make this a truly interactive fic you'll read about the `Pete has….' game. If anyone has any suggestions for what Pete could have then let me know and I'll try and get them in. (Although I do refuse to cut off his penis as the friend who started the game with me keeps suggesting!) Lastly thanks to Aud for everything – you're a star.


pt 1; It's Only Just Begun.

Day 1 – Monday December 13th 2004

***
Are you hanging up your stockings on a wall?
It's the time that every centre has a ball
Does he ride a red nosed reindeer?
Do a 'ton up' on a sleigh
Do the fairies keep him sober for a day?
***

`Pete has ….. A bullet in the bum. The marines were doing target practice and got it right for once.' Siler paused in front of the monitor and turned to Johnson, the newest gate tech on base. The O'Neill/Carter betting pools had tailed off with the arrival of Pete and so the lower members of the SGC staff had had to find something else to fill the gaps in conversation. At first they had tried Pete/Sam pools but the enthusiasm had always been absent, no one ever wanted anything good to happen.

Then, on one drunken night out, Siler had hit upon the answer. Everyday, a different nominated member of staff, had to come up with a story about what would happen to Pete on his wedding day. Nicknamed the `Pete has....' game it had quickly become a favorite.

***
So here it is merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun
***

Brigadier General Jack O'Neill was bored. Absolutely, totally and completely bored. He had been sitting at his desk contemplating the paperwork that was starting to resemble the Himalayas and doodling pictures of the day's `Pete has' competition which his aide had quickly clued him in on. The novelty of using the SGC issue pen as a bullet on his little sketch had soon worn off however, especially when he realised that the paper he was doodling on was a directive from the president. Setting the paper aside, briefly checking that it was nothing planet (or Carter) threatening, he decided that checking on the status of the latest science projects would be a good idea. Luckily he didn't hear his civilian aide commenting to the secretary at the next desk that it would be a good idea if somebody found his yo-yo before the Lieutenant Colonel strangled him.

Carter's lab was unusually quiet except for the steady hum of various machines that Jack couldn't even pretend to understand even though the flicky lights did look cool. He stood and fidgeted with his hands in his pockets for a few moments before sitting at the stool Carter had helpfully placed to one side of her desk so he could stay and not be in her way.

There were a number of objects on Sam's desk, the shiniest captured Jack's attention first but it turned out to be nothing more than a discarded piece of wire. The second object he picked up was a small, round purple stone that weighed the same as a baseball and had symbols on it that were easily identifiable as Asguard script. He put that one down quickly remembering the entire Asguard fleet that had been deployed the last time he played with one of Thor's toys. Thor had not been pleased and had decided to entrust any further of his gifts to Sam's safe keeping.

As Jack returned the item to the table, avoiding the tinsel that was sticky taped around the edge of the desk, he dislodged a small yellow piece of paper which fluttered to the ground. Although a man who would never normally pry into someone's personal life Jack's eyes were drawn to the scrawled words.

`Wedding invite for Jack??????'

She had even underlined the question marks. Immediately Jack's military mask slid into place and he stood up, hoping to give Carter space. He had always assumed that she enjoyed his company but they had obviously grown apart since she took command of SG1, he just hadn't realised by how much.

`Sir, can I help you?' Sam interrupted. `I'm sorry I wasn't here, I was just preparing quarters for my dad.'

`It was nothing Carter.' Jack gave her half a smile and made to leave. `I had forgotten Jacob was arriving today. See ya in the gateroom.'

***
Are you waiting for your family to arrive ?
Are you sure you got the room to spare inside ?
Does your granny always tell ya that the old songs are the best ?
She'll be up and rock 'n' rollin' with the rest
***

There was something special about meeting the man your only daughter was going to marry and therefore Jacob was trying to throw himself into the upcoming visit to Earth with as much enthusiasm as possible. The only problem was the mixed feelings about the upcoming wedding. His first emotion had been relief because he had long been expecting his daughter to announce her engagement to someone else; his second was worry because he had long been expecting his daughter to announce her engagement to someone else.

`He's a good man. Mark likes him and he's a cop. That's a steady job with less risk of getting killed than working at the SGC.' Jacob talked himself through the reasons why Sam's marriage was a good idea, trying in vain to convince himself.

There were many good things about having a symbiote who could read everything in your mind, for instance he never had to worry about forgetting anyone's birthday because he knew Selmak would remind him and he always had someone in his head to talk to, or rather bitch to, when he got irritated with the other Tok'ra. The down side was that Selmak had an annoying habit of pointing out the things that Jacob was trying to deny to himself and she was about to do it again.

`But she loves someone else Jacob.'

***
So here it is merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun
***

He was a good man. He knew he was a good man, for a start it had been written on many of his evaluations. He was just never going to be an outstanding man like the men who worked at the SGC, the men he admired, respected and was currently visiting until his resignation had been cleared through the system.

Major Paul Davis' request to resign had come as a shock to many. He was someone who they said `had great potential' and was expected `to get a long way up the ladder.' The problem was that he had little interest in politics and a steadily declining interest in prolonged fighting. His brother had just given him a third niece and Paul had decided it was time to start looking for a family of his own. With a lot of soul searching he had also come to the conclusion that the military life wasn't much to offer to a woman and so the first stage in his quest was to get a nice stable job that would keep him comfortable. After eight years as SGC liaison officer he didn't think that he really needed a job with any more excitement, knowing Armageddon had nearly happened countless times tended to make a person appreciate the quiet life.

***
What will your daddy do
If he catches mama kissin' Santa?
Ah ah
Are you hanging up your stockings on a wall?
Are you hoping that the snow will start to fall?
***

`But she loves someone else.'

The thought kept drifting around inside Pete's head; the more he tried to forget it the more it kept coming back. She had reassured him that everything was fine, that it was just cheap air force gossip to explain why she had been promoted so quickly, but he didn't buy it. There was just something in her eyes when she looked at her CO, something that shouldn't have been. Still if she really wanted Jack Pete guessed she could have gone after him years ago and if there was one thing he was certain of it was that she wasn't lying to him when she said that her and Jack had never made love. He knew her integrity would never let her lie or deceive him, she hadn't even kept the stargate from him and god knew she had every reason to. It was that thought that convinced him to stop worrying and start thinking of the future with Mrs Shanahan.

Pete smiled as he flicked through the Christmas cards sent to their new house. Although Sam hadn't been happy about the house to start with she had moved in with good grace and with the Christmas decorations up it finally seemed like a home. Secretly Pete hoped that by this time next year there would be a little Shanahan/Carter running around the living room but he hadn't dared share that thought with Sam yet. The Christmas cards were mostly addressed to one or other of them but there were a few to `Sam and Pete', a people who had decided that they were close enough to share one card. He opened the cards and left the bills for later so they couldn't ruin the good mood he was enjoying.

`Bugger, now we'll have to invite him to the wedding.' Pete muttered.

One of the people who had sent a card was Pete's colleague Jack. There had already been an argument about the numbers that were being invited to the wedding when after Sam said she wanted to keep it small he had admitted that he didn't know Jack's surname. Hopefully Sam would have forgotten all about it by the time she came home.

***
Do you ride on down the hillside in a buggy you have made?
When you land upon your ass then you've been slayed
***

`I've done it Chloe!' Jay Felger ran into the office clutching a long metal pole with various bits attached.

`What have you done now?' Chloe replied, well used to her bosses' `inventions'. His current idea was to design something so revolutionary that he could patent it and make millions of dollars for the SGC so everybody would notice him. The problem was that in the heat of the moment Jay often got carried away with the technical and forgot that somebody actually had to use his `products'.

`I've invented an aerodynamic umbrella that you can use in up to 60mph of wind. I've even had it in the wind tunnel and it performed brilliantly.'

The blonde lab assistant watched Jay's eyes light up and sighed; she hated being the one to let him down.

`Show me?'

Jay carefully held the long black stick out and ran the runner up it. Umbrella spokes shot out at perfect angles. `You want to know how I did it, don't you?' Jay went on to answer his own question. `I put an ordinary umbrella in the wind tunnel and measured where the greatest air resistance was. Then I took the obstructions out so the wind could flow freely around it.'

`That's great Jay. Basically what you did was to take all the fabric off and just leave the metal parts?'

`The best inventions are simple' he pouted. `And it really does stay up in high winds.'

`I don't doubt it does' Chloe replied. `But how does it stop the rain?'

***
So here it is merry Christmas
Everybody's having fun
Look to the future now
It's only just begun
***

Teal'c sat at the table and looked around the commissary at everyone present. Daniel was next to him and Ryac and Karyn opposite them. The first year that Teal'c had been with the Tauri their festival of Christmas had seemed bizarre, but he had tried to learn about it. This would be his ninth Christmas on earth and even he had to admit (to himself, never aloud) that the spirit was catching. There was something vaguely comforting in the fact that a people who regularly fought for their planet chose a festival that celebrated peace on earth as their biggest holiday of the year.

When O'Neill had told him that the President had ordered that he could have guests stay on earth for Christmas Teal'c could think of no one other than his son Ryac with whom he would like to spend Christmas. Of course where Ryac went Karyn went to which was how they came to be sitting opposite him attempting to eat a seasonal earth delicacy called Christmas pudding.

`This time next year Sam will be married to Pete.' Daniel talked, oblivious to the fact that he was getting no response. `Unless of course she wakes up.' He pushed his glasses off his head in a subconscious expression of his worry.

`I do not believe that Colonel Carter is sleeping' replied Ryac, sounding more like his father every day.

`It's an earth expression Ryac' Daniel returned. `It means to come to your senses, to see something obvious.'

`What is obvious about Colonel Carter not marrying Pete Shanahan?' Karyn queried gently.

`Nothing, nothing at all.' The archaeologist readjusted his glasses and turned to Teal'c. `Maybe it's time we did something, I mean we could at least try and speak to Jack?'

Teal'c watched as someone hung the first sprig of mistletoe in the doorframe, the mechanical Santa that pulled its pants down while singing jingle bells was returned to pride of place on the top of the jello counter and his son reached for turkey flavoured ice cream. The thought ran through his head that it was going to be a very interesting holiday season and it had only just begun.



12 Days of Christmas pt 2; Last Christmas

Day 2 – Tuesday 14th December 2004

***
Last Christmas, I gave you my heart
But the very next day, You gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special
***

`Pete has…. A boil on his nose.' There was a communal groan around the room at today's injury. Sergeant Jones who had come up with the scenario may have been vain enough that a boil would stop him attending his own wedding but somehow no one thought it would work with Pete.

`Seriously guys think about it. He would try and burst the boil and then it would get all red and swollen and the Colonel would take one look at it and run, right into the arms of the General.'

`Okay, okay, we'll give you that one.' Listening to Jones crow about his topic of choice was marginally better than listening to him whinge all day about how he couldn't think of anything and how they were all so unfair to him. Besides it would be quite fun drawing a big red spot on the nose of the life size dummy that had been brought in to represent Pete, even if the dummy was starting to resemble a character in a bad Halloween movie.

***
Once bitten and twice shy
I keep my distance but you still catch my eye
***

Jennifer Hailey strolled down the corridor of level 20 humming a Christmas carol. All in all her year wasn't going badly, she had gotten over that tiny, insignificant blip at last years Christmas party when she had kissed a senior officer and then propositioned him. She felt it was unfair that he had claimed she was drunk, okay so she had been pleasantly merry, it didn't mean that she didn't know what she was doing. She certainly knew that the kiss was hot, even if she hadn't remembered that he was a senior officer. It had been the ultimate embarrassment when he had blushed and guided her gently to a taxi. Alone.

Still this year *was* going to better. She wasn't going to drink anything, or kiss anyone. She was going to be strong and single. Somebody had to be next years SGC female of the year after her mentor got married.

***
Tell me baby do you recognise me?
Well it's been a year, it doesn't surprise me
***

After a day spent in meetings updating General O'Neill on everything that was happening in Washington Paul Davis was ready for a break. The General had not been in the best of moods, that much was obvious. Although Jack had tried his best to give the topic all his attention politics wasn't his thing and most of what Davis had to say would be useless.

As he rode the elevator to the surface Davis could stop a small smile that crept across his face. He had seriously good memories of this elevator. It was probably the first and only time that he had ever been propositioned by a beautiful woman. It was definitely the first time he had ever had a kiss like that. It was just a shame that Hailey had been a junior officer and too drunk to ever remember it happening. Still at least he got to keep the memories which floated back to him when he was least expecting it.

***
(Happy Christmas!) I wrapped it up and sent it
With a note saying "I Love You" I meant it
***

`O'Neill something appears to be troubling you.' Teal'c made the statement with characteristic lack of expression.

`It's nothing T. Things, people, are changing. You and me are getting old and I don't seem to be going anywhere while everyone else is.'

Teal'c inclined his head to listen to what his friend was saying, surprised by how descriptive Jack was being.

`Do you consider me to be too old?'

`No, I didn't mean that. I just meant….' Jack trailed off for a moment. `You could be a grandpa soon, especially if Ryac and Karyn keep going the way they have been. I caught them in the briefing room making out like they hadn't seen each other in a year.'

`I will speak to my son.' Teal'c grimaced, he thought his son had been taught better, even if was secretly pleased to see how happy Ryac had become.

`Nah, don't worry about it. I remember what it is like to be a newly wed. And we're gonna have Carter there soon as well.' Teal'c could hear the barely concealed bitterness in Jack's voice and wondered if the drinks that the old SG1 were having together tonight were such a wise course. The Tauri would never learn about alcohol. Teal'c just hoped that there wouldn't be too many pieces to pick up tomorrow morning.

***
Now I know what a fool I've been
But if you kissed me now I know you'd fool me again
A crowded room, friends with tired eyes
I'm hiding from you and your soul of ice
My God I thought you were someone to rely on
Me? I guess I was a shoulder to cry on
***

Checking that his gun was in the right place was a natural nervous reaction for a cop with as many years experience as Pete had. The fact that the thing that was making Pete nervous had nothing to do with police work made no difference.

Sam, his Sam, was going out with her team mates, her former team leader included. These days Pete lived in eternal fear that Jack O'Neill would get his head out of his rear end long enough to tell Sam that he loved her. If it ever happened Pete knew who would be left with the broken heart, he just loved her too much to call her on it and so lived on a wing and a prayer hoping that it never happened.

He was ever grateful for the fact that a woman as smart as Sam was couldn't see what was right in front of her, that the man she was marrying wasn't the really the man she felt the most for. Pete had given in to being second, he knew she liked him maybe even loved him, just not as much O'Neill. It was good enough, she was willing to try and it had to be good enough.

***
A face on a lover with a fire in his heart
(Gave you my heart)
A man undercover but you tore me apart
Next year
I'll give it to someone, I'll give it to someone special
***

Daniel Jackson was never going to be allowed to suggest a game ever again. Jack did not understand why he had agreed to play Charades, especially as he was paired with Teal'c. Possibly the six bottles of beer and few glass of whisky he had consumed could be included in the reason, but god dammit he was entitled to get a little drunk. The love of his life – yes he had finally admitted it to himself – was getting married and it wasn't to him.

He groaned as Sam correctly guessed `Alien' from Daniel's repeated pointing at Teal'c. They always got the easy ones. Jack looked down at his card and stood up.

`Game's over. Carter and Danny boy win.' There was no way that an air force General was going to make monkey impressions – even if he had been given King Kong in charades.

`I'm getting more beer from the garage, anybody want one?' There was a round of negatives and Jack walked off alone noting that things were just starting to get more than a little fuzzy, not a good sign when you had as a high an alcohol tolerance as he did. As Jack entered the garage he kicked his foot against an old box, the box that had only recently come down from the attic, the box that had contained all the stuff that reminded him of Sara.

In his drunken state the word `Sara' echoed around Jack's head. Sara would know what to do. Sara always had better ideas than him. This not being the first time that Jack had phoned Sara while drunk he had the number stored in his head, it wasn't a long time before he reached the kitchen phone and got an answer.

`Sara O'Neill' Sara still hadn't changed her name – it was pretty much the last living link she had with her son.

`It's Jack.'

`Jack' she sounded surprised and a little groggy. `It's two in the morning. Why are you calling me?'

Jack felt a little guilty not having noticed how much time had passed, but not so guilty that he wouldn't finish the call.

`Sam'

`You are drunk, aren't you?' Sara didn't need to see him or smell his breath, she just knew, she always knew.

`Maybe. Can I still talk to you?' Jack knew there was no point in denying it.

`Go on then. What has happened with Sam now?'

`I'm not going to the wedding, Sara.'

`Why not?' Sara asked, well aware of who Sam was and why her wedding was important.

A loud crash in the living room momentarily distracted Jack but Daniel shouted that everything was okay and Jack forgot about it.

`She doesn't want to invite me. I found a note on her desk saying invite Jack with big question marks.'

`The first thing I would say is, are you the only Jack she knows? But if it is you Jack then I think you have to accept it. Maybe it is hard for her to have you at her wedding, if you care so much for her then do you really want to make her wedding day even more difficult? I think you are going to have to let go if you want to keep any of the bond you share.' Sara O'Neill sighed; giving love advice to her drunk ex-husband at 2am was not something she had ever planned on doing. A small part of Sara was jealous that Jack was clearly in love with another woman, but the bigger part was just glad that he was able to move on, even if it was to a woman that didn't share his feelings.

`But I don't want to let go of us'

`Go to bed Jack. You'll feel differently in the morning.'

`Love you Sara.' Jack mumbled and hung the phone up.

***
I thought you were someone special
gave you my heart
I'll give it to someone, I'll give it to someone
last christmas I gave you my heart
you gave it away
I'll give it to someone,I'll give it to someone? ***

`Sam I think you had better check on Jack. He's been gone for a wh… whi… a long time.' Sam rolled her eyes, glad that she was the only one going to drive home tonight. `He's pretty intoxci…whated' Daniel burst into giggles at his drunk speak and Sam knew it was time to go home.

`Okay Daniel I'll go check.' A warm glow flowed through Sam, tonight had been the closest they had come to being the old SG1 in a long time, only her upcoming wedding and Jack's mood making things different. She started to make her way out to the garage when she saw Jack standing in the kitchen with the cordless phone pressed to his ear.

Reaching the kitchen doorway the first words she heard were;

`I'm not going to the wedding Sara.' Her heart unaccountably sunk as she found out that Jack was still in contact with his ex-wife.

A loud crash caused when Daniel managed to fall over the sofa trying to stand up distracted Sam from hearing Jack's next words but she heard the following line oh so clearly.

`But I don't want to give up on us.'

And the even more damming;

`Love you Sara.'

Not even the sight of Daniel with the triple cheese pizza he had landed on stuck to his forehead could raise a smile in Sam at that instant. She just mumbled a quick `goodbye' and hurried out telling the boys to get some sleep.

Sam knew she was about to get married, she should be glad that Jack had somebody to love. But did this mean that all of the last nine years had been a façade? Had all her feelings been one sided? There was only one thing she could do, throw herself with everything she could give into her relationship with Pete. He loved her; they would have a future together.



12 Days of Christmas pt 3; Stay

Day 3 – Wednesday 15th December

***
Baby if you've got to go away
I don't think I can take the pain
Won't you stay another day
Oh, don't leave me alone like this
Don't say it's the final kiss
Won't you stay another day
***

`Jen I've left the report on your desk.'

`Thanks' Hailey barely looked up from the computer program she was engrossed in to acknowledge the tech who had placed the papers on her desk. She was so involved that she didn't see next two people who entered the room either.

`Hailey'

`Sir!' Hailey shot to her feet at the General's amused voice, `I'm sorry I didn't see you arrive.'

`Relax Hailey' Jack had to fight a smile, Jennifer Hailey reminded him so much of an early Carter. `I just bought you a visitor.'

It was then that Hailey noticed the other person in the room and her stomach did a flip flop. She had successfully managed to avoid Paul Davis for the days he had already been on base (she'd only had to sneak into the store cupboard twice) and she was planning to continue hiding until he left on Christmas Eve.

`Major Davis needs to be updated on all the science projects that are ongoing in the SGC. With Colonel Carter busy planning for her wedding I thought that you could show him around.' Jack worked very hard to keep the bitterness out of his voice.

`Of course sir' Hailey tried not to blush as O'Neill left her alone with Paul.

`Major, if you'd like to follow me this is where……' Hailey continued but Davis started to tune her out, enjoying watching her. Over the past few days he had come to the conclusion that maybe she did remember what had happened last Christmas, the real giveaway had been when he caught her diving into a stationery cupboard – he knew getting a new pen was exciting but the speed with which she moved was overkill.

`Jennifer, you can look at me.'

`What? I mean pardon, I mean, I'm sorry sir.' Hailey was nervous.

`We shared one kiss, that no one knows about and I'm retiring anyway. You are allowed to look me in the eye.'

`Shh!' Hailey commanded before forgetting all protocol and shoving Davis through the nearest private door, which turned out to be yet another stationery cupboard. `You can't say that sir, what if someone hears? You could be caught marshalled.'

`And yet I won't be court marshalled for being caught in a closet with a junior officer?' Davis looked down at the woman who was pushed against him.

`It doesn't matter. We have to agree on a plan, no one can ever know what happened, we can't talk about it ever, or even think about it and it must never, ever happen again.' Hailey specified, her words getting faster and faster as she got more and more nervous.

`Okay.' Paul shrugged in the darkness.

`Okay. That's it! Just okay.' Jennifer protested.

`Except for this.' Davis leant down and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips before sneaking out of the cupboard leaving a thoroughly breathless junior officer behind him.

***
Don't you know we've come too far now
Just to go and try to throw it all away
Thought I heard you say you love me
That your love was gonna be here to stay
I've only just begun to know you
All I can say, is won't you stay,
Just one more day
***

`Jay it's your turn, what has Pete got today?' Chloe asked the question just as Jay walked into the green lab wall. Yesterday he had been very excited about his latest invention, this time it was designed specifically for General O'Neill. They were goggles that filtered out the trees so you couldn't see them, bound to improve Jack's mood on off world missions. The problem, as Jay was just discovering, was that if you filtered the trees out of your vision then you tended to walk to in to them.

`What do you want Chloe?' Jay pushed the glasses up onto his head and held a tissue to his bleeding nose.

`It's your turn to pick the day's Pete has.'

Jay glanced wildly around the room looking for inspiration, he had forgotten about the game but it was his turn and it was one of the ways he was using to persuade his therapist that he was participating in base activities and getting a more normal social life.

`Umm… Pete has….. diarrheoa and vomiting. That would make him really attractive to Samantha. He would get half way down the aisle and then run screaming in the other direction. I…' Jay paused. `Jack would nobly offer to stand in and him and Sam would live happily ever after.'

***
Baby if you've got to go away
I don't think I can take the pain
Won't you stay another day
Oh don't leave me alone like this
Won't you say it's the final kiss
Won't you stay another day

I touch your hand while you are sleeping
And hold your hand,
don't understand what's going on.
Good times return to haunt me,
Though it's for you,
All that I do seems to be wrong.
***

`Hi honey – I'm home' Sam called out as she stepped through the front door, wincing at how bad the line sounded to her. Still she had promised to make the best of things with Pete and that was what she was going to do.

`You're in a good mood tonight.' Pete commented as he gave her a brief kiss.

`It's just nice to see Dad.' A smile appeared on Sam's face, a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. Dad had come to dinner with Pete yesterday and Sam knew that although her father couldn't find anything in particular to disapprove of he still didn't like Pete. She hadn't realized until yesterday that even Jacob wanted her to marry Jack, it seemed like the whole world was conspiring against her and her new found `happiness'.

`I've got a suggestion Sam.' Sam looked up at her fiancee who was starting to sound nervous. `How would you feel about moving the wedding forward?'

`To when? And why?' Sam was genuinely interested about why this had been bought up now.

`I was thinking Christmas Eve. I know it's soon but then we could guarantee that your father would be there, we could even use the SGC Christmas party as our reception so all your friends could be there.' Pete looked at Sam hopefully, the closer the wedding the came the more he was nervous about waiting. Once she was married to him she would be his and hopefully O'Neill would be relegated to the past forever.

The thought that ran through Sam's mind was `could she really do it?' When there had been no wedding date it was easy to deny the existence of the marriage, setting the wedding for nine days time was a huge commitment and was going to make the whole thing real. And yet that was what she wanted, wasn't it? She had been fooling herself with her feelings for Jack for the past nine years; the call to Sara had proved that. It was time to move on, time to let go of the things standing in the way of her happiness and getting married to a man who actually loved her would achieve that.

`Yes. I'll marry you on Christmas Eve.' Sam said totally convinced of her decision. Well almost convinced, anyway.

***
Baby if you've got to go away,
I don't think I can take the pain,
Won't you stay another day
Oh, don't leave me alone like this
Don't say it's the final kiss
Won't you stay another day
***

General Hammond sat at the table in the bar and looked across at his old friend, Jacob, thinking back over everything they had been through together from Vietnam to the stargate. Some things changed and some things, like friendship, never changed.

`You know I always expected that Jack O'Neill would end up my son in law.' Jacob raised his beer as Selmak revolted at the taste; this would be his only drink of the evening so he was going to make the most of it.

George was about to give a standard rejection of the statement but changed his mind, Jacob deserved the truth and he certainly wasn't going to report anyone involved.

`You know the first time I saw the two of them together I contemplated having her transferred to Kawalsky's team but dismissed anything I thought I saw as my own imagination. Over time it just got too hard to split them up, they work so well together. I suppose it was selfish on my part, after everything they've given they deserved a chance at happiness.' George took another sip of his beer and contemplated the relationship he had seen grow and develop to the point where even he had contributed to the betting pool on their wedding date.

`Don't beat yourself up George, they wouldn't have thanked you for splitting them up. You know when I first worked out that they were in love? It was Anise and that stupid machine. I knew because Sam came to me and apologized for letting me down. I was so angry that she might be ruining in her career that I told her to forget any unprofessional feelings and focus on the job. What sort of life did that encourage?' Jacob was starting to get melancholy and was ignoring Selmak who was trying to point out all the good things that had happened between then and now. `I've got my reward, she's marrying a man I don't think will ever be good enough for her.'

`There is nothing too bad about Shanahan, I had him checked out for you. But O'Neill is trying to retire again and I think this time they will let him, the president in good conscience can't refuse. I had to sign the paperwork yesterday so it will be official any day now. It's a shame we are going to loose him over this.' George finished off his beer and Jacob pushed his half full one towards him, Selmak was threatening hosticide if he consumed anymore.

`What are Jack's plans?'

`He said he was going to fish. Fish and eat cake.'



12 Days of Christmas pt 4; Fairytale of New York

Day 4 – Thursday 16th December

***
It was Christmas eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me,
Won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you
***

`So that's it. It's over. Sam is getting married on Christmas Eve and she is really happy about it.' Jack let his thoughts wander over the meeting that he had just had with his former 2IC. She wanted to combine the SGC Christmas Eve party with her wedding reception and of course he'd said yes, he couldn't deny her anything, he never had been able to.

And just as quickly as that Jack knew that he couldn't be there to see her marry another man. Sara was right, he did need to let go, but being at Sam's wedding wasn't going to help anyone. He'd be awkward, she'd be uncomfortable and no one else would know what to say to him, they all knew how he felt about her, even Hammond who Jack thought had been successfully kept in the dark for many years.

Picking up the phone on his desk Jack made arrangements to go to a treaty meeting with some Jaffa, a meeting where he wasn't really needed but his presence couldn't hurt and he would be away for Christmas. Unless Sam said something in the next two days then Jack was going to be a million miles away when she tied the knot.

***
Got on a lucky one
Came in at eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true
***

As Teal'c pushed past yet another Tauri on a mission he understood why their race had never suffered under the rule of the Goual'd for long. This was only Christmas shopping and yet they acted like people possessed, totally focussed on their intent, heads up, eyes scanning and processing the sheerly stunning range of goods on offer. This was the first year that Teal'c had done all his Christmas shopping on his own and he was starting to miss the presence of his staff weapon, O'Neill had assured him wouldn't be necessary in a civilian mall, but Teal'c was not convinced.

The jaffa glanced down to the purchases that he had already made. There were two copies of `A guide to a good marriage', one for Samantha Carter and the other for his son and daughter in law. On Chulak the state of an individual's marriage was considered to be private but after watching TV Teal'c knew that on earth it could be discussed by anyone and the book was endorsed by Oprah so it must be good. For Daniel he had bought a key ring that beeped when you clapped your hands so that you could always find your keys, he hoped Dr Jackson would attach it to his glasses.

For Jack there were several portions of his favourite blue jello, Teal'c had been rather intrigued to find ready made up jello in small glasses for sale in the window of the bottle shop. He assumed the `vodka' on the label was a jello brand name. The only present Teal'c had left to buy was for General Hammond, he had originally planned to purchase some of the spray on hair restorer he had seen advertised, for although hairlessness was not an issue amongst the Jaffa the humans seemed to be very sensitive about it. Luckily Daniel Jackson had informed him in time that the gift could be seen as offensive and so Teal'c was now looking for a good bottle of scotch which Daniel had said would be a more suitable present.

***
They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas eve
You promised me Broadway was waiting for me
You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of Belfast City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on the corner
Then danced through the night
***

`I told you yesterday Jen, you are allowed to look at me.' Paul Davis stopped in front of the desk where he could see that Hailey was torn between risking insubordination and hitting him, or answering sensibly. He could also see the color rising up her face.

`That was before you broke the plan, sir.' She emphasized the sir, hoping to make her point.

`Which plan was that? Oh yes, the one where we don't speak, don't see each other and oh yes, don't think either.' Davis had no idea what was making him act like this, is was very out of character, maybe it was all the time he had been spending with O'Neill or maybe it was just her who brought it out in him.

`It was a very good plan sir.' Hailey pushed back her chair and stood up so she was facing Paul across the desk. `It would have protected both of us, then you had to spoil it.'

`I spoilt it?' God she was beautiful when she was angry, Paul mused. `You were the one who pushed me into a closet. And anyway how is it ruined, we can still follow the plan.'

`But you kissed me and I can't stop thinking about it.' Hailey fumed, so wound up that she didn't realize what she was saying. Paul was tying her in knots and she really wasn't enjoying the butterflies in her stomach or the way her thoughts kept drifting off to him at the most random moments.

`Oh really.' Paul smiled and leaned over the desk to kiss Hailey again.

She gave in for a few moments before remembering where she was and pushing him away.

`With respect sir, go away.' Jennifer appreciated that the statement would have had more force if she hadn't been breathing heavily and sitting down before her knees gave way but luckily Paul decided to give in and leave her in peace.

***
The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing "Galway Bay"
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day
***

Jack pushed open the door of the briefing room and quickly shut it again. He really didn't need to see what he had just seen. Okay so he might have fantasized about doing exactly the same thing with Carter in there but really, Ryac and Karyn pushed up against the conference table kissing like there was no tomorrow was too much. At least no items of clothing had been removed yet, although it didn't look like they were far off.

The general knocked loudly on the door before reopening it making as much noise as possible, thankfully by the time he got in Ryac was straightening his clothes and they looked almost innocent.

`General O'Neill.'

`Ryac, Karyn' Jack greeted them. `Karyn why don't you go to the commissary I'd like to have a word with your husband.'

`Yes sir' Karyn scuttled out of the room.

`Ryac we have a phrase on Earth, get a room, which I think could reasonably be applied to this situation. I understand you are newly weds but I've had reports of the two of you being caught all over the base – if you want to make out you need to do it in private.'

`I do not understand O'Neill, `make out'?'

`To kiss, like you were doing in here before I walked in.' Jack stared at the young Jaffa.

`Thank you, and we are sorry.' Ryac paused and seemed to hesitate. `May I ask for some advice of a personal nature General, you have been married.'

Once, a long time ago thought Jack but he let Ryac continue.

`How do I know that everything is as good for Karyn as it is for me?' Of all the things that Jack had been expecting Ryac to say that wasn't one that even made the list. For once Jack was rendered completely speechless doing a very good impression of a fish out of water with his jaw opening and closing. After a few seconds of stammering he finally managed to come out with an answer.

`I think you need to ask your father about that.' And oh boy did Jack hope that he could be in the room when Ryac did.

***
You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead
On a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray god it's our last
***

`Pete has….. the plague.' There that was simple enough, and it meant that Siler could get out his indelible marker and put big black splodges all over their dummy. `Obviously it's contagious so he can't attend the wedding and it can't happen. The keep him in isolation while he is recovering so the Colonel spends lots of time with the General and they finally work out how they feel for each other. By the time Pete is better Sam knows that she can't marry him.'

`Very good.' Walter smiled at Chloe who was taking her turn at their game. `I like it.'

`What is he doing down there?' Chloe turned to look out the window into the gate room where Siler was surrounded by Christmas decorations and a very large wrench.

`It's a tradition. He decorates the gateroom for Christmas and he decorates the wrench, but he's got a bit possessive over the last few years. Last Christmas the nurses tried to steal the baubles off his wrench and they had no electricity in their staff room for a week. We just leave him to it now.'

Chloe shrugged and made her way back to the lab where she worked. Sometimes she wondered if the whole base hadn't been infected by an alien entity that had never been detected, something that caused madness.

***
I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you.
***

Jacob gazed at his only daughter and wondered if she was really as happy as she was making out about getting married on Christmas Eve. He had met Pete and as hard as he tried he just couldn't bring himself to like his daughter's fiancee. Pete just wasn't good enough for her.

`Sammie I'm going to ask you something and I don't want you to get mad at me. Are you sure you want to marry Pete?' Sam looked her dad in the eye, she had been expecting this question ever since Pete and Jacob had had dinner. On the surface everything had been fine but Sam knew that her dad wasn't happy.

`He loves me dad. He wants to make a life with me, a real life where we can actually be together.' Sam took her dads hand.

`I know that in an effort to protect you I've said some stupid things to you in the past about your relationships so this time I'm going to be honest. What about Jack?'

`Dad he will never love me like I want. He's probably still in love with his ex-wife. I need to move on, as long as I'm waiting for Jack I'm stopping anything real from happening to me.'

`Okay' Jacob nodded. `I can accept that, but will you promise me one thing?'

`Anything.' Sam replied.

`Jack is leaving for a mission on Saturday, a mission that will last over Christmas. Will you promise me that you will try and talk to him one more time before he leaves?'

So Jack didn't want to go to her wedding. Sam thought that he would have been glad to see her marrying someone else so there would be no more speculation about them. Maybe she was wrong, maybe he did care. Well she would give him one more chance, tomorrow they would finally talk honestly about their relationship because as painful as it was going to be there was no way that Sam could get married without knowing how Jack felt about her.



12 Days of Christmas pt 5; You Make it Feel Like Christmas

Day 5 – Friday 17th December

***
Look at us now, part of it all
In spite of it all, we're still around
Lovers in love, just like we were
Being apart's a lonely sound
When people ask how we stay together
I say you never let me down
***

Sam was a woman on a mission. After her decision last night she had tossed and turned and not gotten any sleep, finally retreating to the couch after Pete had become totally fed up with her keeping him awake. In some ways Sam was actually looking forward to this conversation with Jack, her feelings had been kept in the room for *way* too long.

The corridor leading to the General's office was empty and ominously quiet, Sam entered the outer office to find Jack's secretary looking very stressed about the phone call she was making.

`No, no I understand, thank you.' Clare replaced the receiver of the telephone. `How can I help you Colonel?'

`Does the General have five minutes?' Sam asked, one of the down sides of Jack's new job was that he was so busy that even SG1 had to book time to see him.

`He's not here at the moment but I'm expecting him back any minute, you can see him then.' The secretary rubbed her temples.

`Is everything alright?' Sam knew that the general's idiosyncratic ways often frustrated his very organized civilian secretary and caused her the odd migraine.

`Not for me to speak ill of my boss' Clare continued anyway knowing that Sam was a friend and wouldn't mind her venting. `But he wants to send his ex-wife white orchids, in this week, the week before Christmas. Do you have any idea how hard that is to organize this close to Christmas especially when I have so much other work to do? I don't know what he did this time but he must have really screwed up.'

Sam had paled at this untimely reminder of Jack's relationship with his ex-wife but Clare hadn't noticed. `Again? You send his ex-wife flowers a lot?' Sam tried to keep her voice normal.

`About once a month. It's been more frequent recently' The sound of footsteps coming down the corridor could be heard. `Sounds like he's back, you want to wait in his office?'

`No.' Sam stopped. `It doesn't matter, it wasn't important. I'll catch him later.' Sam escaped from the office as quickly as possible barely nodding to Jack as he entered.

`What did Carter want?' Jack asked his secretary.

`I don't know sir, she didn't say.' Clare replied

`That's not like Carter.' Then Jack changed thought patterns. `Did you manage to sort out the flowers?'

`Not yet, but I'm working on it.' Jack nodded and went into his office. Sending flowers to Sara had become a bit of a routine since Sam had started going out with Pete. Every time Pete did something new Jack got drunk and invariably ended up calling Sara, then felt guilty the morning after and had to send Sara flowers or chocolate.

***
And you make it feel like Christmas
Even when things go wrong
I hear the sound of Christmas in your song
All year long
***

Sam walked quickly down the corridor heading for her office where she could be alone with her thoughts for a few minutes. How could she have contemplated telling Jack what she really felt? She had known he was still seeing his ex-wife, if the phone call didn't prove it then the flowers certainly did. And it wasn't as if he was just sending an unspecific arrangement of flowers, he had actually picked a type of flower which showed he had really thought about it.

It was just a good thing Clare had given her that reminder before Sam made a total fool of herself. It could have been so embarrassing to bare her soul and have him say `well actually, I'm still in love with my wife.'

It was definitely a good thing that she hadn't said anything Sam determined. And maybe it was a blessing in disguise that Jack wouldn't be at the wedding, if she couldn't see him then she was less likely to think about him, and less likely to feel guilty about thinking about a man who wasn't the groom on her wedding day.

***
Look at the sun shining on me
Nowhere could be a better place
Lovers in love, that's what we are
I reach for that star out there in space
***

Felger put his hands around his newest invention and looked to Chloe with baited breath, waiting for her response. This invention was designed specifically with Colonel Carter in mind, it was a refrigerated coffee cup that was designed so you would never burn your hands.

`Do you like cold coffee Jay?' Chloe asked

`No. It's disgusting.'

`Well what do you think will happen to the temperature of the coffee when you put it in that cup?' Chloe looked at her boss with sympathetic eyes, she knew, unlike most of the others on base, that Jay was brilliant and just had problems showing it. One day he would come up with something that revolutionized the world and she would be right there by his side, and hopefully by then he would have recognized that she could be so much more than just his assistant.

***
`Cause you make it feel like Christmas
Even when things go wrong
I hear the sound of Christmas in your song
All year long
***

`Pete has….. pregnancy.' Clare looked at the stunned techs and explained. `When Sam found out she would know that he had been having an affair and she would dump him.'

`I hate to point out the obvious Clare but Pete is lacking some vital equipment to get pregnant.' Even Walter couldn't quite see how this one would work.

`So he has a sex change, I bet he wants to really. Plus think about all the pain he would go through giving birth, he deserves it.' Walter nodded and made a mental note never to get on the wrong side of the General's secretary. He had been surprised by how involved the women had got in this game and how nasty they had been, coming up with far more inventive ways to end Pete's wedding than the men.

***
Sleepy we are, but happy together
Sounds of forever greet the day
So wake up the kids, put on some tea
Light up the tree. It's Christmas day
***

The day dream Paul Davis was currently enjoying had him finishing up putting a star on the top of a Christmas tree in his living room while supervising two young boys, his sons. He could hear the sounds of his wife from the room next door but he couldn't see her, couldn't picture the woman of his dreams until she walked through the door.

She looked older, and her hair was shorter, but she was still beautiful and she was still Jennifer Hailey. Suddenly the `dream Hailey' was speaking but it wasn't what Paul had been expecting to hear.

`Major Davis, Major Davis, Sir!' Was the final loud word that penetrated Paul's dream and brought him back to reality. Jennifer Hailey was standing in front of him waiting for some sort of response, a response that Davis was unable to give because of his dream revelation. Yes, he knew he liked Hailey and he definitely liked kissing her but he had never considered any sort of future with her, until now.

`What do you want?' He asked in the tone he normally reserved for annoying junior officers who were asking stupid questions.

`I bought the reports you requested on the science projects.' Hailey replied, taken aback at his tone. She guessed that he was treating her differently because they were in public, a situation that she had engineered so that there could be no chance of any more kissing, something that she couldn't cope with.

`Science projects, SIR. Don't forget that Hailey.'

`No sir!' she emphasized and mentally swore at the man who had kept her awake half the night with visions of kisses, dates and most terrifyingly of all wedding dresses. Jennifer Hailey was not someone who planned to get married any time soon and especially not to a man like this. He was too old, and he was stupid, he kept kissing her when she didn't want it and she hated him. Sort of.

***
Yeah, you make it feel like Christmas
Even when things go wrong
I hear the sound of Christmas in your song
All year long
Light up the tree; it's Christmas time
***

Ah good thought Jack. They were here. This year, with the help of Sam and his new secretary Jack had done almost all of his Christmas shopping online, on e-bay to be exact. This year there would be no fighting through the stores for him. Jack ripped open the box and laid out the items on his desk ready to be wrapped and left so that they could be opened on Christmas day, even if he wasn't there.

The first gift out of the box was Jack's personal favorite, he had actually found a dancing space monkey that started singing `spaceman' every time someone pressed the button on it's base. Daniel was going to hate it but it made a great present. The next item in the box was for Teal'c, Jack took the elastic band off and unrolled it to reveal a life size cut out of Luke Skywalker. Jack had been going to get Teal'c the Star Wars box set on DVD but it turned out that he already had it, having queued from midnight on the morning it came out to purchase it. The final e-bay present was for General Hammond, a selection of games for the play station two that SG1 had bought for his birthday. Now he was in Washington he claimed he had too much time on his hands and had actually become quite an expert at the computer games.

Jack had bought the obligatory book on astronomy that he gave Sam every year at Christmas from the local book store. The box under his bed contained the real gifts that he would like to give her but had never been able to. Most of them were standard jewelry, although there was the star he had had named after her and the engagement ring he had bought five years ago hoping someday to be able to use. Still they could stay hidden with the boxes of Sara and Charlie stuff.

Sitting at the desk Jack opened the front cover of Sam's book to make an inscription, something he wouldn't be there to see her read.

~ Best wishes on your wedding. I hope he always makes you as happy as you deserve to be. Have a great Christmas. Jack. ~



12 Days of Christmas pt 6; Santa baby

Day 6 – Saturday 18th September

***
Santa baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me
I've been an awful good girl
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Santa baby, an out-of-space convertible too, light blue
I'll wait up for you dear Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Think of all the fun I've missed
Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed
Next year I could be oh so good
If you'd check off my Christmas list
Boo doo bee doo.
***

Siler had decided that karoke, especially when combined with large quantities of alcohol, was a bad idea. Currently most of the science department staff were up on stage singing the Kylie classic `santa baby'. Actually singing was probably the wrong word to describe what the staff were doing, murdering was a better description. It had become a tradition that all of the science staff on base went out for their own Christmas celebration a couple of days before the SGC party and for some reason the tradition included karoke.

Even Colonel Carter was up there giving it her best with help from Cassie who was home from college. No one could believe how much Cassie had grown up, she was 21 now, in college planning to go to med school eventually and the person who had come up with today's Pete has.

`Pete has….. a broken coccyx.' As they all stared at her she replied `What? I've been learning anatomy at school. It happens when Jack kicks Pete's ass all the way up the aisle and out of the church so that he can marry Sam.'

`Fine, I'll add it to the list.' Siler wasn't going to argue with Cassie, he still had too many memories of what her mother had done with needles. `Do you want to join the other pool we're starting?'

`What is it?' Over the years Cassie had joined in on many of the betting pools, especially the ones that Dr Frasier had initiated, particularly the ones about Sam and Jack.

`How many times will Ryac and Karyn get caught making out between now and Christmas?' Siler got out his note book to write down her bet.

`Who started that one?' Cassie enquired.

`I'm not supposed to say, but just for you, it was the General after he caught them coming out of the stationery cupboard.'

`The same cupboard that Jen and Paul were in?' Siler raised his eyebrow, he hadn't realized just how good the base grapevine had become.

`That's the one.'

`Okay. Give me 10 bucks on them getting caught nine times.' Siler nodded and wrote Cassie's bet down, letting her get back to the stage, making way for a drunk Walter to sit at the table.

`I've been thinking.' Said Walter as he took another slurp of his fluorescent green cocktail with the little umbrellas coming from it. `We need to make the stargate call more festive. I was thinking we could add a little burst of jingle bells instead of `Chevron 7 locked.' I was going to use Silent night but you're not allowed to use religious things in government facilities and I didn't want to upset anyone.'

`Maybe you should ask the general tomorrow. When you are sober.' Siler took another gulp of his beer as Walter ordered another cocktail, this time blue with a cool red swirly bit in it.

`My other idea was that instead of saying chevron 1, chevron 2 etc., we could name all the chevrons after the reindeer. You know, Donna, Blitzen and chevron 7 could be Rudolf.' Walter looked so pleased with his idea that Siler didn't have the heart to tell him just how silly he sounded; he'd leave that for Walter to work out when he woke up in the morning.

***
Santa honey, I wanna yacht and really that's
Not a lot.
I've been an angel all year
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Santa cutie, there's one thing I really do need, the deed
To a platinum mine
Santa cutie, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Santa baby, I'm filling my stocking with a duplex and checks
Sign your X on the line
Santa baby and hurry down the chimney tonight.
***

Sam was an air force Colonel, she was a sensible, responsible person who didn't go out and get drunk. Well except maybe at Christmas. Every year she promised herself that she wouldn't go out, get drunk and sing in public and yet every year she did it anyway. Who could resist those cute little cocktails that Walter was ordering, her's was orange and she thought it's name had something to do with a cowboy who was doing very naughty things. She visualized Pete in a cowboy outfit and it didn't really do anything for her, then Jack's face slid into the picture and suddenly she was grinning inanely.

The next line of the song that they were singing went `forgot to mention, one little thing, a ring.' At that point Cassie thrust the microphone in Sam's face and held her hand out to display Pete's engagement ring.

`Do you like my ring, Cassie?' Sam asked as they stumbled off the stage to make way for the next group who were singing Gloria Gaynor's I will survive.

`It's okay. It's just the shame the guy who gave it to you is such a GDMFSOB.' Cassie mumbled the second part but Sam heard it, luckily she was too drunk to ask.

`I like it. And I like Pete and I'm going to get married.' By this stage Sam was swirling her drink around using green cocktail umbrella and starting to look a little maudlin. `Jack loves Sara and I love Pete and we are going to get married.' Sam responded with more emphasis, almost as if she was trying to convince herself.

`Yes you are, and I am going to be your bridesmaid.' Cassie marvelled at the change in their roles, this was the first time Cassie hadn't been the little girl who Sam was trying to protect, in fact this was the first time that Cassie had ever seen Sam loose control and at a guess Cassie thought it had more to do with the wedding than the Christmas party. `Lets go home Sam?'

`Yeah.' Sam took a deep breath and tried to sober up a little. `I'm just going to the bathroom first.' She stood up to leave and Cassie was left alone with Siler.

`So what does GDMFSOB stand for?' The gate tech asked.

`It was, uh, something Daniel and I came up with. It stands for Gosh Darn Mother Truckin' Son Of a Biznatch! Only, it's not Gosh and it's not Darn and it's not Truckin' and it's not Biznatch! Don't blame us – we just needed a way to vent, we were so convinced that Jack and Sam would finally work it out. From my first day on this planet I always kind of dreamed of them together as my new family, it's just a shame that it never happened and now it probably never will.'

***
Come and trim my Christmas tree
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you
Let's see if you believe in me
Boo doo bee doo
Danta baby, forgot to mention one little thing
A ring
I don't mean a phone
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Hurry down the chimney tonight
Hurry down the chimney tonight
***

Jennifer Hailey flopped unceremoniously down into the chair next to Paul Davis who had arrived late to the party, although he wasn't an official member of the science staff he had spent so much time working with them that he always got invited to their party if he was in Colorado.

`Hey sir' Jennifer slurred and Paul immediately had memories of last Christmas. `How are you to… to… tonight?' She was swaying gently as she asked the question.

`I'm very good. How about you?' Paul said, sober, aware that he was driving home.

`You know what? No you wouldn't `cos you are a man and men are sssstupid.' Hailey hissed the S to emphasize her drunken point. `You kiss me and you make me go all silly and breathless which I don't appreciate and then you walk off and I don't know why. It's because you are a man and men don't know how to deal with their emot… emotio… feelings. I hate you. And will you please kiss me again?' Jen looked up at Paul with her big brown eyes and he had to really work hard to resist her.

`No Jen. Not until we have talked properly.' It was now or never Paul guessed although he wished he could have a drink inside him when he did this. `You know I'm retiring? Well I want to try and start a family, with the right person. I've been offered a job here in Colorado as a consultant so I won't be far from the SGC. I guess what I am trying to say, is that I think I am falling in love with you Jen and I want to see where we could go.'

For the entirety of the speech Paul had been staring at the wall opposite so he didn't have to look at Hailey's reaction, the unfortunate consequence of this was that he didn't notice that she had passed into unconsciousness and was now slouched with her head thrown back, snoring loudly.

`Just my luck' muttered Davis before assisting Hailey to her feet and carrying her out to his car so he could drop her home. Maybe one day they would get to do this conversation and both of them would be in a condition to remember it. At this years SGC Christmas party he definitely wasn't going to let her drink.



12 Days of Christmas pt 7; I'll be home for Christmas

Day 7 – Sunday 19th December

***
I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
***

`Uh, hi sir.' Jennifer Hailey opened her front door.

`How are you feeling this morning?' Paul gave a cheery smile, noting the dark smudges under Jen's eyes and the way her pallor was interesting shade of green.

`Fine sir.' Hailey winced at the movement of her head. Never again she swore, never again was she going to drink so much, however pretty the cocktails looked.

`That's good. I just wanted to check that you were still alive.' Davis smiled.

`Sir. Did anything, uh happen last night. I mean I know you took me home but the rest is sort of fuzzy.' When her alarm had gone off that morning Jen had had recollections of half a dream where Davis had told her that he loved her but she couldn't work out what was real.

`Relax Jen.' Paul smiled. `We didn't do anything.'

`That's good. I mean it would be really bad if we did do anything, what with you being a senior and all.'

`Yeah, it would be a bad thing Hailey.' Paul agreed with little enthusiasm, noting how relieved she seemed that nothing had happened. It had been stupid to imagine that she might return his feelings; he really did have nothing to offer her. `I'll see you at work tomorrow.'

Jen shut her door to Paul and stumbled back to bed before she was sick all over her carpet. `Ah well', she thought, it had been a nice dream it was just a shame about the reality. Maybe someday in the future, the very distant future, she would meet a guy who really would fall in love with her.

***
Please have snow
And mistletoe
And presents `neath the tree
***

Daniel was finishing up wrapping all his Christmas presents so they could be delivered before Jack left today for the jaffa home world. For Teal'c there was a book on the rules of ice hockey, a sport that he was slowly becoming interested in at Jack's prompting. Daniel had bought Jack a new fishing rod, he was one of the few people who knew that Jack was retiring and was intending to spend a lot of time at the cabin. Daniel had purchased the more expensive gift, hoping in some way to try and make up for the fact that Sam was marrying Pete.

Sam's gift had been the hardest to choose. Things had been slightly awkward between them ever since she had announced that she was marrying Pete and the temptation had been just to buy a bland wedding gift such as a vase or a toaster. However Daniel had stopped himself, Sam was one of his best friends and whether or not he thought she was making a mistake she deserved more from him. In the end he had been online and found a collection of the so called `greatest sci-fi movies ever'. Daniel knew that Sam enjoyed watching them to see if they ever got it anywhere near right and that was a small way that she could share her job with her fiancee.

***
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
***

Jack packed the last item, his sun glasses, in the top of his kit bag, fastened it, and placed it on the floor. As part of the negotiating team he would be away for two weeks, by the end of which time his retirement papers would hopefully have been processed and Carter would be on honeymoon so he wouldn't have to see her. Eventually he knew they were going to meet, but he hoped that by giving himself a little more time he would be better able to accept the marriage.

The negotiations with the rebel jaffa were an exciting development after the previous alliance had broken down. This time the jaffa were a group that worked for Ba'al and had no connections with Teal'c or anyone else he knew. They had approached SG-3 who had been off world, at first the SG team were deeply suspicious that this was another trap from Ba'al but over the last month everything had checked out and Jack had decided that the group was legitimate. It would be nice to have some of their jaffa allies back and it would definitely be a help when the inevitable confrontation with Ba'al occurred.

Finally Jack was finished and ready to go. He had already said his goodbyes to everyone, including Sam to whom he had wished a happy marriage. He was therefore surprised to see her standing in the gate room, waiting for him to depart, especially as she was on leave to give her time to prepare for her wedding.

`Carter, what are you doing? I don't think you are going to find any bridesmaid dresses around here.'

`I came to wish you happy Christmas sir.' Sam bit her lip, wanting to say more. `If things had been different…..' she started, referring to his relationship with Sara.

`There's no point in what ifs, you know that Sam.' Jack replied, even though the thought `what if she had never met Pete' was constantly playing through his head.

`Chevron 7 locked.' Walter called out and the stargate sprang into life. The team Jack was accompanying went through the wormhole first; Jack stepped on to the ramp behind them and turned to Sam one more time. `Goodbye Carter.'

***
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
***

`Pete Shanahan has….. staff weapon burns to the upper and lower of his body.' Teal'c raised an eyebrow and dared any of the techs to argue with him. He had only agreed to participate on the encouragement of General Hammond who seemed to find the game most amusing and assured Teal'c it was harmless.

`Thank you, sir.' The young tech knew that Teal'c wasn't an officer, however he was big enough and scary enough that the tech who was in charge of `Pete has' today thought `sir' was appropriate.

`I'm glad that General O'Neill was able to get away for Christmas.' Commented the tech to Siler who was next to him, and to Teal'c who was still behind him.

`Yeah. If I was him I wouldn't have wanted to go to Colonel Carter's wedding.'

`Indeed. However I do not think that General O'Neill would find our discussing it appropriate.' Said Teal'c, uncomfortable with the amount of base gossip about his friend's love lives.

`Discussing what?' Asked Jay Felger who entered the room holding a weird purple contraption.

`You mean O'Neill going away? You know that I would have been on that mission with him if I wasn't needed here. I applied to go and it said on my application that I was too valuable to be used off world.' Jay boasted, not seeing Siler and the tech wink at each other. They had been present when Jack had originally filed Jay's application in the bin, it was his secretary who had rescued it and written the comment to save Felger's feelings.

`So have you invented something new, Jay?' Siler asked, almost seriously.

`Is it something that actually works?' mumbled the new tech under his breath, unfortunately not quietly enough.

`You just don't understand my brilliance.' Felger threw up his hands. `But it doesn't matter, because Colonel Carter does.' Jay left the room, followed by Teal'c and the other two just looked at each other.

The new tech suggested to his senior. `You know that Simmonds is flying in tomorrow for the wedding. Well maybe we could lock the two of them in a room together to discuss the Colonel and leave the rest of us in peace.'

It was Siler who came up with the perfect answer. `Even better we could lock them in a room with Pete, he'd be dead of boredom in a couple of hours and all our problems would be solved.

***
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
If only in my dreams
***

Sam was busy trying to bring some organization to the chaos that was her new living room. In one corner there was a pile of papers to do with the flower people who were charging a fortune to bring the wedding forward. Luckily for Sam the SGC catering staff had been only too glad to step in when her original caterers hadn't been available so the reception was sorted. Considering that Sam suspected that most of the base didn't actually like her fiancee she was surprised and moved by how many people had offered to help out.

All the decorations were being handled by the base techs who had already planned to decorate the hall that had been hired for the party. General Hammond was out right now with Jacob buying the champagne which was going to be his wedding gift to her and Cassie was looking for shoes to go with her bridesmaids dress. Luckily Sam had ordered the wedding dress months ago, before Pete had moved the wedding forward, so it was being delivered tomorrow.

A pile of papers dropped on the floor, the item that landed on the top was a wedding invite, an invite that had caused Sam much pain.

~ General Jonathan O'Neill and guest ~

Sam had sat over that invite for hours trying to decide the best way to give it to him before finding out that he was going to be away on treaty negotiations. Although Sam knew it was for the best that she married Pete she couldn't help that fact that Jack's `goodbye' earlier in the day had sounded so final, as if she would never see him again.

If this had been a perfect world then Sam admitted to herself that she would have been marrying Jack in five days time, in fact she would have married him years ago. But this wasn't a perfect world and however hard Sam wished she couldn't have what was really in her dreams so she was going to make do with second best. Unless of course something really big happened in the next few days.



12 Days of Christmas pt 8; Deck the Halls

Day 8 – Monday 20th December 2004

***
Deck the hall with boughs of holly
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season to be jolly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
***

The santa hat that Teal'c had been gifted sat atop his head, looking somewhat out of place, but he did not wish to offend Daniel who had donated the present and assured him that it was traditional to wear it. After nine years even Teal'c knew a practical joke when he was the butt of one, however it seemed to make the SGC staff respond to him differently and he felt that if he was ever to have a chance of living off the base then he should learn to appreciate all the foibles of the human character.

Teal'c's final destination was the infirmary where he was to pick up the day's `Pete has' from nurse Becky Rush, who had just returned from an extended visit to Kelowna, a visit where she had spent a great deal of time with Jonas Quinn. She had assured everyone that he was very well and promised to take all of their good wishes back when she returned to Kelowna in the new year.

`Pete has…..' Becky glanced around the infirmary until her eyes lighted on a particularly embarrassed looking young airman. `Inflammed nipples, god only knows what he was doing with them, but they were so painful that he couldn't get his tux on and so like the gentleman he isn't, he asked Jack to step in for him so she could marry the man she was meant to be with.'

`I will add your suggestion to the list, Lieutenant Rush'

`Teal'c you can call me Becky, Jonas does and hopefully I won't be a Lieutenant much longer.'

`You are resigning from the airforce?' Teal'c looked down at the young woman.

`Not exactly.' Becky gazed at Teal'c, her eyes shining. `Jonas asked me to marry him and move to Kelowna. I just have to wait until the General gets back from his mission to see if I can get permission.'

`Congratulations. Jonas Quinn is a very fortunate man.'

***
Don we now our gay apparel,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
***

It looked like a blamanche. A giant, peach, blamanche. That was the only way that Sam could describe the wedding dress that had arrived on her doorstep only an hour earlier. It did not resemble the elegant, pale, blue, silk gown that she had tried on in the shop and that she had paid a fortune for. The monstrosity that had arrived was a size 16, peach horror. She had spent the last hour on the phone to the shop where an assistant had politely assured her that what had been delivered was what she had ordered and they had the signed order form to prove it.

Sam had become progressively angrier with the woman who had a ridiculously chirpy voice and had had to restrain herself from threatening to use a Goual'd hand device. The conversation had finally ended when the shop assistant had hung up the phone saying that just because Sam didn't like the dress she had ordered she had paid for it and was stuck with it, and no they couldn't do another one this close to Christmas.

On a whim Sam had stepped into what had been delivered, hoping that maybe it wouldn't look quite so awful when she had it on. It didn't look as awful as it had in the bag, it looked worse. So now she was sitting on the floor surrounded by a sea of peach taffeta and lace, her head in her hands, crying her eyes out. She raised her tear stained face to the ceiling,

`What the hell am I doing?'

***
Troll the ancient yuletide carol
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
See the blazing yule before us,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
***

Jennifer Hailey was back at work today, it was the week before Christmas, she didn't have any off world missions, and the atmosphere around the base was fantastic. Unfortunately she couldn't bring herself to join in with the Christmas spirit. Yesterday's conversation with Davis weighed heavily on her mind.

`I mean it would be really bad if we did do anything.' She had said and he had replied far too quickly for Jen's liking. He was obviously relieved that nothing had happened or would ever happen between them. At first Jen had tried to fool herself that his lack of feelings were a good thing but she had known that it was all a lie the minute she had shut the door on him.

Therefore Hailey had resorted to an old tactic for dealing with her unrequited feelings, it involved delving into the many stationery cupboards that had suddenly appeared around the SGC. Sometimes being in love was a pain in the ass and she was in love. Totally, hopelessly, toe curlingly, in love with Paul Davis and probably had been since he had kissed her last Christmas.

***
Strike the harp and join the chorus.
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Follow me in merry measure,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
While I tell of yuletide treasure,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
***

After finding his daughter taking the unusual action of crying her eyes out on her living room floor, Jacob called in the cavalry which consisted of Cassie and Clare who were helping out with the wedding and then he had retreated to a safe distance. Namely the bar of the hotel that George Hammond was staying in.

`She was crying George. My daughter never cries, especially not over men. I don't know if I can let her go through with this.'

`If you try and stop her Jacob she'll only resent you. She is an intelligent woman she knows what she is doing, and maybe we have all misjudged Shanahan. Your son certaintly likes him.' Hammond commented.

`As much as I love my son he is an idiot when it comes to his sister. He just can't see past the fact that Pete isn't military, somehow Mark thinks Sam won't be happy until she is done with the air force and Pete is a step in the right direction. Anyway I can't believe that you are defending Pete, do you think I don't know about the special executive order you have had in the top drawer of your desk incase they ever came to see you.' Jacob eyeballed his friend as George choked on his coffee.

`How did you know? No, on second thoughts I don't want the answer to that. Sometimes I wish I had told them about it, it might have been a push in the right direction.' A sigh of regret escaped Hammond.

`Why didn't you?' Jacob asked.

`The president expressly prohibited it. He said that he really couldn't be seen to be interfering in the love lives of his officers however much he wanted to and that the existence of the order went far enough. They had to come forward on their own for me to be allowed to do anything. It's a testament to the strength of the belief that one of the first things the new president did in relation to the stargate was to renew the order. It's ironic but I think it was Kinsey with all his accusations that persuaded the president that the relationship would be worth holding on to.'

`I look at Mark's kids, how happy he is with is family and that is all I want for Sam, but I don't think Pete can give her that.'

Hammond smiled, thinking of his own grandkids. `Every time I see my grand daughters I think of Jack and Sam with a few of their own running around. They would make such good parents, whatever they believe their faults are.'

George finished his coffee and looked again at Jacob. `I'll make you a promise Jacob. I will try and talk to Jack again before the wedding; he is the key to this, if he would only believe that he was good enough for Sam. I don't know that it will do any good, but with Jack away I guess it can't hurt and somebody needs to do something other than make up horrible ways that Pete could forfeit the wedding.'

***
Fast away the old year passes,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Hail the new, ye lads and lasses,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
***

Jay Felger was working his way through SG1 in his quest to come up with a world changing invention. After failing miserably to do anything useful for Sam or Jack his next invention was aimed at the brilliant but forgetful mind, such as that of Daniel Jackson.

Felger, along with everyone else on the base, knew that Daniel Jackson could single handedly come up with a plan that would defeat a Goual'd and yet when it came to locating his glasses (which were invariable on top of his head) or finding his keys (usually in the pocket of yesterday's trousers) he was hopeless. There was little Jay could offer in the way of helping with the glasses short of tying them around Dr Jackson's neck, a solution General O'Neill had suggested on occasion, therefore Jay had worked on the disappearing keys.

After a great deal of thought and fidgeting with his own keys, much to the annoyance of the other people who worked in his lab, Jay had come up with the perfect answer. To not loose the keys they needed to always be in the same place, so you would always know where they were. At first he considered permanently implanting them onto the body but apart from being painful and a little unhygienic it would be hard to attach them to the appendages that were at the right height of the lock on the door, the lock that was just below the door handle. The only other place that the keys could be permanently attached and still be able to open the door was to the door itself and so Jay had come up with a simple system of a titanium (therefore unbreakable) key chain, attached to a naquada plate that could be super glued to the door, next to the lock.

`So what do you think?' Jay asked as Chloe used the keys that had been glued to the office door.

`Well I will never loose the keys' Chloe said softly, trying to let Jay who had been through so many disappointments in the last few days, down gently. `But unfortunately I think that anyone who wants to break in is also going to think that this is a wonderful invention.'

***
Sing we joyous, all together,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Heedless of the wind and weather,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
***

The planet that Jack had gated to yesterday looked pretty much like many of the other planets he had visited. There were trees, the odd stream and not much else. The visiting Jaffa had been friendly enough and seemed keen enough to do whatever they could help leaving Jack with a good feeling, it would be nice to finally wipe that smug smile off Ba'al's face.

After breakfast, `US air force rations – delicious!' thought Jack, somewhat sardonically, the talks were to begin in earnest. The general had been politely but firmly informed by the leader of the negotiating team that he was there to look pretty but say nothing unless directly asked. Every one had heard about Jack's famous `diplomacy.'

By the equivalent of ten am earth time the debate was getting on to the finer points of how many weapons the Tauri would or rather wouldn't give the rebels, the negotiations going better than anyone had expected. Jack began to worry that his desire to miss Christmas might have been a vain hope.

It was a surprise therefore when the supposedly friendly rebel jaffa all pulled out cloaked staff weapons and aimed them at the unarmed negotiating team who were lifted out of their chairs and pushed to the floor.

`Kneel before your god.' The jaffa demanded and Jack had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, he instinctively knew who was going to be the next person to come through the door of the tent even before the flap opened.

`O'Neill. We meet again.'

`Ahh Ba'al. Ya know me, never one to give up on an old acquaintance. So what is it going to be this time, the poison or the knives?'

`As much as you amuse me, human, this time I will take no chances. Your fate will be death, permanent death without the hope of a sarcophagus.'



12 Days of Christmas pt 9; Blue Christmas

Day 9 – Tuesday 21st December 2004

***
I'll have a blue Christmas without you;
I'll be so blue thinking about you.
***

Something funny was going on, Sam knew that, she just couldn't put her finger on exactly what was happening. Although she was officially on leave she had stopped by the base to get the last few things organized. Cassie and her had been on an emergency shopping trip yesterday and had managed to find a dress that Sam could get married in without dying of embarrassment, so all that was left were really tiny details that didn't really matter.

Everywhere Sam went somebody scuttled out of her way or tried to look at her without actually looking at her. Finally Sam got fed up and marched into the office that Walter and Siler shared.

`Right!' she demanded in her best command voice. `What is going on?' Both of the men jumped to their feet and looked at her nervously. They, like everybody else on base, had been sworn to secrecy about Jack's capture, none of SG1 was allowed to find out until the day after the ceremony. An order Jack had given before he left to ensure that he wasn't able to ruin Sam's wedding.

`Nothing ma'am.' Walter stammered.

`So what is the piece of paper that you are holding behind your back?' Walter jumped, the paper contained the orders for the SGC team that was going to the planet where Jack had been captured. `And what on earth is that?'

Siler turned to see what Colonel Carter was staring at. Unfortunately it happened to be the life size doll that every one had been pretending was Pete for the `Pete has' game. It was also unfortunate that the list of all the medical conditions that Pete had been given was pinned to the doll's chest, a list that contained the names of everyone who had contributed.

Sam was very silent whilst she read the list, a very bad sign. Then she turned on her heel and exited the room quickly, her face expressionless.

`Well it could have been worse.' Commented Siler. `She could have found out that the General was missing, if she had then the wedding would have been off and O'Neill would have demoted us both to air men.'

`I don't know, I think someone should tell her.'

Siler shrugged. `Maybe, but even her father agreed with the order and we know he doesn't like Pete. The wedding is to go on whatever happens, O'Neill was very specific that he didn't want to be the reason that she didn't make it to the altar.'

`How is it that the two of them can save the lives of everyone on the planet but can't manage to sort out their own?' Walter left the question hanging, it was something no one involved with the Stargate had ever been able to answer.

***
Decorations of red
On a green Christmas tree
***

`Are you a man or a mouse?' Hailey asked herself and came back with the answer, `neither, I'm a woman.'

After yesterday's revelations about her true feelings she had been talking herself round in circles and had finally come to the conclusion that if she wanted the man of her dreams, (and no she couldn't believe that the man of her dreams turned out to be middle aged with a slightly receding hairline either) then she was going to have to fight for him.

Unfortunately the fight started with telling Paul how she really felt and that was a bit difficult when the man in question had decided to leave the base early. Getting his home address wasn't too difficult; she was very good with computers and also at sweet talking the sergeant who looked after the personal records. The problem proved to be with her immediate superior who demanded the reports that Jen hadn't quite finished when she had left early on Friday to buy an outfit for the karoke on Saturday. It was going to take the rest of the day and most of the evening to get them done to the high standard that she expected of herself therefore she admitted, with a small sigh of relief, the fight for her man was going to begin tomorrow.

***
Won't mean a thing if
You're not here with me
***

Daniel was concerned that there was something going on. He had wanted to speak to Jack when he made his regular contact but him and Teal'c had both been distracted by marines with a very poor excuse.

Leaving the gate room Daniel made his was to the gate power room where he had been informed that Siler was working. Daniel was the nominee for the day's Pete has and he had come up with what he thought was a *really* good one.

`Pete has….. chicken pox.' Daniel said to himself. `He wakes up on the morning of the wedding all red and splotchy and itchy, especially itchy.' Daniel emphasized, the last time he had been stuck in the infirmary he had done a project on the history of the disease tracing it all the way back to Egyptian times. Siler wouldn't want all of the detail, after nine years at the SGC he had finally worked out that not everyone was as interested in his research as he was. Still they could add red spots to the black splodges on the dummy which everyone was beginning to agree needed a bit more color.

Daniel reached the doors of the power room; the muffled sounds coming from behind the door seemed to confirm Siler's presence, at least until Daniel opened the door. Ryac and Karyn were once again making out, completely oblivious to the rest of the world. Daniel made a mental note to tell Walter, he was getting closer to his guess of the young lovers being caught 8 times before Christmas. Then Daniel coughed loudly.

`Dr Jackson!' Ryac exclaimed, releasing his wife who hastily wiped her mouth.

`I'm sorry, it's just…' Karyn tailed off and looked at Ryac.

`You can tell him.' Ryac faced Daniel. `My father has locked us from our room during daylight hours. He claimed it was to teach us restraint.' The way that Ryac said it with such a petulant voice reminded Daniel of just how young he actually was.

Karyn left Daniel alone with Ryac who had indicated that he wished to talk alone.

`Dr Jackson, I asked this question to O'Neill not long ago and he suggested I speak to my father. That conversation did not go as I had intended. I wish to ask you the same question.'

`I'll do my best Ryac, but I can't promise anything.'

`How can I ensure that Karyn enjoys `marriage' as much as I do?' Ryac raised an eyebrow and Daniel had to fight the urge to laugh. One day he had been as naive as Ryac.

`Come with me.' Daniel said and led Ryac off to a place where they could talk without being over heard.

***
I'll have a blue Christmas, that's certain;
And when that blue heartache starts hurting.
***

A headache was starting to pound at the temples of his head. The words on the page in front of him were blurring and the voice of the other person involved in the phone conversation with Major Paul Davis was becoming progressively less clear although Paul got the general idea.

He had spent most of the day locked up in a secret room trying to inform higher powers of what the consequences of Jack O'Neill's capture could be. Loosing a general wasn't something the US took lightly, especially when the general in question had saved the planet several times. In an effort to keep SG1 off the scent of Jack's problem everyone had been told that Paul had gone home early, if anyone had seen him working that hard they would have been suspicious as he was supposed to be retiring in two days time.

Replacing the handset of the red phone Paul took a moment to recline in his chair and rest his head. Opening the top drawer of the desk he extracted a packet of aspirin and swallowed them with a gulp of water. This wasn't his office but Paul had known there would be pain killers in the desk, any officer who had anything to do with the SGC also had something to combat a headache easily at hand.

Closing the top drawer again Paul noticed the present that he had for Hailey, a present that had been hastily shoved in a drawer when he had been shown in to this room and apprised of the situation a good ten hours earlier. The package that was wrapped in gold paper contained a hand carved wooden photo frame that had every one of the stargate co-ordinates lovingly etched into it. Paul knew the frame was hand carved because he had done it himself.

The photo inside frame was the world as seen from space, it was supposed to represent what he wanted to give to her – the world. Paul had almost written that on her Christmas card but on saying it out loud he had winced at how soppy it had sounded. An air force officer couldn't write that, especially not to a woman who was supposed to only be one of his juniors and mean nothing special to him.

***
You'll be doing all right
With your Christmas of white,
But I'll have a blue, blue Christmas.
***

Despite Ba'al's earlier promise that Jack would die instantly and without hope of a sarcophagus nothing had materialized. Jack, along with most of the negotiating team, had been ringed aboard Ba'al's ship and thrust into a cell. The jaffa had seemed ready to bring him before their god for his immediate death when an alarm had gone off and the humans had been instantly forgotten.

Now, twenty four hours later, the alarms had stopped ringing and the jaffa warriors were back.

`You!' They pointed at Jack. `Come with us. Kree!' Jack was physically lifted to his feet and pushed along the corridors with a staff weapon rammed into his back. It seemed like Ba'al had finally learned his lesson and Jack was surrounded by far more force than even he could fight.

On entering the control room of the ship Jack was immediately hit with a powerful blast from a hand device that sent him sliding across the floor of the room. Reaching the opposite wall Jack was pinned against it, much like he had been the last time he was Ba'al's guest.

`I see you are still using the same old toys. It is really past time that your scientists came up with something new.'

`Silence!'

`Ba'al really. Have you ever known me to be silent around you?' Jack grinned, it had become an automatic reaction to be sarcastic around this particular false god.

`Sometimes O'Neill you really try my patience. I should have done this yesterday, unfortunately we were distracted by an Asguard ship. Luckily we managed to convince them that we weren't up to anything that we shouldn't be. They are stupid.'

`Not as stupid as you.' Jack just couldn't resist adding. Anything to keep Ba'al's mind off killing him.

`Enough! It is time. I am going to take great pleasure in doing this.' Ba'al stretched out the arm that held the hand device in Jack's direction and Jack instinctively closed his eyes waiting for a painful jolt that never arrived. Instead Jack found himself slumped on a cold, grey/blue floor.

`Thor buddy! It took you long enough.'



12 Days of Christmas pt 10; Let it snow!

Day 10 – Wednesday 22nd December

***
Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let is snow, let is snow, let it snow.
***

Jacob took one last quick look around him before entering the office and surreptitiously slipping the unprepossessing scrap of paper on the table. He wasn't even supposed to be on base, let alone participating in this game. His daughter had been surprisingly tight lipped about the plans the rest of the SGC staff had formulated for her fiance but it hadn't put a stop to the game. Everyone needed a way to vent and this was harmless enough.

Walter winked as he accepted the paper and waited for Jacob to leave before opening it. `Pete has…death by Ebola anthrax spores.' Nice one Sir, thought Walter, although how they were going to draw death on the dummy that was now safely hidden in his locker was another problem. Walter continued to read. `Pete takes the handkerchief from his top pocket to wipe his brow before the wedding, he's sweating because he's nervous about what Jack will do to him. As he wipes his face he breaths in the spores and drops dead.'

`Sergeant Siler.' Teal'c asked as he entered the room.

`How can I help you Teal'c?'

`I am searching for my son, Ryac. I was informed that you are aware of everything that occurs on base and that you may be able to locate him.'

Siler paused for a moment and glanced over to his wrench, almost as if it had the powers of a crystal ball. `I'm sorry I can't help you.'

`Thank you sergeant.' Teal'c left and Siler removed his crossed fingers from behind his back. He didn't *know* where the young lovers were but did have a pretty good guess, giving Ryac the key to that empty room was kind of a big hint. Still he had promised that he would tell no one of their location and he could be the soul of discretion when he wanted to be.

Siler had worked out what he was going to spend the most of the day doing, apart from cleaning up after Jay's latest invention that was. The technicians thoughts turned for a moment to the SGC's most eccentric man. This morning he had presented a very clever mobile gadget that would read any text book in any language so that you didn't have to. Unfortunately Jay hadn't realized that it was all very well having a machine read the book, someone still had to read the machine.

Siler's attention was drawn back to his task. It was finally coming to an end, the betting pool that had been running for eight years; ever since Sam had invited Jack to an arm wrestle in front of Ferretti there had been money running on the date of their wedding. Tomorrow was the last official day that anyone could place a bet before the winnings were distributed, now somebody had to work out eight years of dates that had been repeatedly rolled over.

There was now over five thousand dollars in the account that Siler had set up to keep track of the money – it was just going to be complicated to work out who had won what. Nobody had bet on either of them marrying anyone else, or Siler didn't think anybody had until he came across a piece of paper that was several years old and that he had totally forgotten about.

***
It doesn't show signs of stopping,
And I brought some corn for popping:
The lights are turned down low,
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
***

The snow flakes were gently falling as Sam pulled into the parking lot of the shopping mall. In all the preparations for the wedding Sam had managed to forget her Christmas shopping and was now stealing out at the last minute to fight the Christmas crowds. Also if she was honest going out gave her a break from Pete who was at home. Somehow she just couldn't stop imagining the list of things actually happening to him.

Sam's first reaction to the game had been to get angry but she hadn't been able to keep it up for long. The SGC personnel were totally loyal to Jack, as he was to them. They wouldn't give up on him in anything and they saw her as his girl. It was kinda nice to know that they would stick by him in anything.

The first store she was heading for was the outdoor shop where she was hoping to find some inspiration about what to get for Jack. She knew that for Daniel she would get a book and for Teal a new hat, he former CO was much harder. The gift had to mean something but it couldn't mean too much. Over the years they had been very careful about that. She still had all the astronomy books Jack had given her carefully hidden in her bedside cabinet, the inscriptions inside them read and re-read many times over the years.

On the way through the mall Sam glanced idly through the window of the shop and saw something perfect. It was a cream cloak made of pure wool and it would look amazing with her wedding dress.

Sam stepped inside the smart boutique and went to the rail where the cloak was hanging on a peg. At just the same time that Sam reached for it another female hand shot out and beat her to it.

`Oh I'm sorry.' Said Sam before she looked into the eyes of the other woman.

`This is going to sound strange but I could swear that I know you.' The woman stared hard at Sam who had turned an interesting shade of white when they had made eye contact.

`Sara.' Sam managed to get out without sounding too shaken up. `It's Colonel Carter. I work with your husband.'

`Ex-husband. I'm getting married to someone else next month, it's why I wanted the cloak, wedding dresses are fantastic but the designers tend to forget that you have to stand outside the church, even in winter. But what am I saying, you know all about getting married in winter, it's close now isn't it?' Sara chatted happily, pleased to get a chance to talk to this woman who meant so much to Jack, and glad that they could meet in better circumstances than the last time.

`Two days, Christmas eve. You're getting married again?' Sam couldn't resist the question.

`To a wonderful man, he's assistant principal at the high school.' She smiled and Sam could see how happy she was.

`But what about Jack? What about the phone calls to him? I heard him tell you that he loved you.' The loyal second in command part of Sam was already squaring up for a fight, prepared to defend the man who meant so much to her.

`Jack always does that when he's drunk, it doesn't mean……' Sara looked again at Sam. `But you thought?' Suddenly the proverbial light switched on in Sara's mind. `I think we need to talk – lets go get coffee.'

All thoughts of Christmas shopping left Sam's head as she followed Sara to Starbucks, aware that this was one bizarre meeting. As soon as the two women - who looked so similar but were so different - were seated Sara began to talk again.

`Jack phones me when he gets drunk and depressed. I learnt how to deal with his moods when we were married and I know how to talk him down. But it doesn't mean anything, we really are over and you know how I know?' Sam shook her head, too stunned to speak and feeling a little nauseous. `Because the first time he rang me up it was when his newest second in command had fallen for some guy called Narim. At that time he didn't want to talk about his feelings but over the years he accepted that we both knew that he loved you.'

`What? You must be wrong.'

`And both of you are too good at denial.'

`But he was trying to send you flowers, white Orchids?' Sam was trying to control her wildly spinning head.

`They were my favourite. Every time he was sent off on a mission he would send them as a sort of apology for not being there. It's just a tradition between the two of us.' Sara leant over the table and squeezed the younger woman's hand. `Sam, I hope you don't mind if I call you that, if you love Pete then what I've said shouldn't mean anything and you should get married with a clear conscience. But if you have any feelings for Jack then you owe it to yourself to at least try it, because god knows the man has been through enough and he deserves a second chance at happiness.'

***
When we finally say good night,
How I'll hate going out in the storm;
But if you really hold me tight,
All the way home I'll be warm.
***

`Did you have a good night O'Neill?'

`It was fine thanks Thor, although I can't claim that I'm not missing a mattress.'

The grey alien shook his head and continued to fly the ship as Jack watched him. Yesterday had been amazing. After beaming Jack and all the other SGC personnel on board Thor had blown up Ba'al and his entire fleet in seconds. He had even let Jack press the button, something the general had greatly enjoyed.

`I apologize O'Neill that it took me so long to retrieve you yesterday – we had to ensure that we had identified all the SGC personnel present.'

`Don't apologize, you got me out, I'm grateful. But I do have one question?'

`Go ahead' Thor intoned.

`Not that I mind you blowing Ba'al up but don't you usually refrain from interfering with the Goual'd.'

`Normally yes. However, to use a Tauri phase, Ba'al was becoming a pain in the.. .' Thor glanced briefly at O'Neill. `Neck. O'Neill I have heard something most unusual from some of your team members. We had understood that a wedding on Earth was a great occasion for family and friends, yet you did not wish to be present at the wedding of Colonel Carter. Although we had hoped that you and she would pair up we believed that you were her friend and would be present to support her.'

`It's complicated.'

`Humans are a strange race. If you do not want to be present at the wedding why do you not attempt to prevent it?'

Jack took a good long look and the alien he had come to see as one of his best friends.

`So how long will it take for this ship to get us home?'

`At this speed, three of your days. Would you like me to go faster?'

Jack thought for a second, tempted to say yes but knowing he couldn't. What could he do? Rush down the aisle as they ask `speak now or forever hold your peace' and declare his feelings, then have her reject him for her Mr Potato head look-a-like.

***
The fire is slowly dying,
And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing,
But as long as you love me so.
Let it snow, let is snow, let it snow.
***

The snow had being falling since early afternoon leaving everything covered in white. It had stopped now but the night was clear and it was so cold that Jennifer could see her breath on the air as she approached Paul's front door.

It was now or never. With every step she took towards the blue door her stomach started to roll just a little more. The footprints she had left on the snow covered path were footprints that seemed to be leading away from her sanity.

Finally she was there. Standing on the porch, close enough to ring the bell. She pressed the button and heard the corresponding ring from inside the house. She had a strong temptation to duck behind the fence and pretend she wasn't there but Hailey resisted. She had to do this. Finally someone walked towards the door and it creaked open, letting out shafts of warm, yellow light.

`Jen?' Paul asked. `What are you doing here?'

Hailey had had a whole speech prepared, ready to discuss her feelings at length, but in the event there was only one thing that she could do. She took a deep breath, leaned forward and kissed Davis square on the mouth.

After a shaky start the kiss got better and better. Jen lifted her arms around his neck and Paul wrapped her in his embrace, trying to protect her from the cold outside. Finally they broke apart.

`What was that for?'

`Because I love you.'

For a moment Paul couldn't process her response and then a wide grin slid across his face. `I love you to.' And he stepped aside to let her enter his house, a place he had a feeling she was going to be spending a lot of her future off duty time.



12 Days of Christmas pt 11; Driving Home for Christmas

Day 11 – Thursday 23rd December 2004

***
I'm driving home for Christmas
I can't wait to see those faces
I'm driving home for Christmas
Yea I'm moving down that line
And it's been so long
But I will be there
I sing this song
To pass the time away
***

Siler had worked at the SGC ever since the stargate program had been initiated. He had even been present when Daniel Jackson and Jack O'Neill had gone through to Abydos the first time around and in all that time he had never realized just how many people actually worked at the SGC, until now. The meeting had been called to announce the end of the Sam/Jack betting pool and everyone who had a stake was invited. It turned out this was in excess of three hundred people, not including those in Washington who had also invested money. Rumor had it that even the president had contributed 20 bucks.

In the corner of the commissary where everyone was seated the final touches were being put on to the base Christmas tree. People at the SGC always made an effort at Christmas, aware that for some of them it could be their last. However this year, with O'Neill in charge, the preparations had taken on a new level. Everything that could be had been decorated, and there was mistletoe in every doorway. Some hopeful person had even done the doorways of General O'Neill's office, Colonel Carter's office and every other room SG1 used. Unfortunately all it had resulted in was a badly timed kiss between Clare and an unsuspecting Teal'c.

In some ways, with so many people present, this gathering was more like the SGC Christmas party than the official one tomorrow which would have an air of sadness because of the wedding preceding it. The marines had started some very tuneless Christmas carols which more and more people were joining in with – much to everyone's surprise Walter and a deep and beautiful base singing voice. Just as he finished the last verse Siler stood on a table in the centre of the room and hit his wrench on the table to get silence.

`Johnson, all clear?' He asked the airman who was keeping a lookout at the door.

`Clear sir.'

`You all know why we are gathered here. We can't control people's hearts and from tomorrow when Colonel Carter marries Pete Shanahan he will be treated with the respect we would give to the spouse of any officer. Today we are going to say goodbye to an old friend, something you've all participated in. After going through all the records I found that only one person bet on Sam and Jack never making it to the altar.' Siler paused to make way for a round of good natured boo's and hissing. `Graham Simmonds, make your way up here.'

The embarrassed young officer made his way to the table and joined Siler on top of it as people clapped politely.

`Thank you.'

`One more thing, as the winner you get to decide today's `Pete has' which will be the last one.'

`I… I….' he stuttered and then paused to think of the answer Jacob had helped him prepare. The Tok'ra definitely did not like his new son in law.

`Pete has…..' Simmonds stopped again and then reached for the paper in his pocket and read off it. `Necrotizing Fascitis. All the skin on his face drops off – he scares the minister so much that he runs away and no one else is qualified to perform the ceremony.'

This statement elicited a much bigger and noisier round of cheers than the fact that Graham had won the money.

`Thank you Lieutenant.' Graham stepped down from the table as Siler called for silence again.

`I'd like to propose a final toast. To Sam and Jack' Siler lifted the wrench.

Across the room bottles of water, can's of soda and cups of tea and coffee were all raised in unison.

`To Sam and Jack.'

***
Driving in my car
Christmas gonna take some time
Top to toe in tailbacks
Got red lights on the ways
But soon there'll be a freeway
My feet on holy ground
So I sing for you
Though you can't hear me
When I get through
And feel you near me
Driving in my car
Driving home for Christmas
***

Jack was running, getting faster and faster as he pounded his way through the corridors, knowing there wasn't a moment to loose. He reached the bridge of Thor's newest ship, named the `Enterprise' at Jack's suggestion and almost shouted at the supreme commander.

`How fast can this ship get me home?'

`At maximum speed I could reach earth' Thor paused as if doing calculations. `In time for Samantha Carter's wedding.'

`Then step on it buddy. I've got a wedding to get to.'

~ It had all started that morning at breakfast with the negotiating team who Jack had been eating with. John Williams was the civilian in charge and therefore the only person who wasn't officially out ranked by Jack and who could speak his mind.

`You know that I'm gonna loose fifty bucks today?' John asked Jack as he handed over the packet of fruit loops.

`On what?' The rest of the team had gone suspiciously silent, waiting with baited breath. It was John who had told Jack to keep his mouth shut in the negotiations and it looked like it was going to be John who was going to give away the base's secret.

`On you and Colonel Carter.' He said it so matter of factly that you would think it was nothing unusual, apart of course from Jack spitting fruit loops across the table.

`Pardon me?'

`General even you can't be that blind.' The negotiator wasn't a great fan of the military and every one else has skirted around the issue when now was the time for straight talking. He might get himself fired but he could always get another job and sometimes someone had to be the one brave enough to say what everyone else was thinking.

`I've only been at the SGC for six months and I feel like I know everything about the pair of you. Your `will they, won't they' romance has kept the gossip machine going along for nine years, so much so that you have become an icon. And now you are going to nobly sacrifice yourself and be a martyr just so she can marry someone she doesn't love in hopes of having a normal life. The problem is that although most people won't admit it they prefer something with a happy ending to Romeo and Juliet.'

John was getting truly worked up now, feeling like he was getting a weight of his chest, and everyone else's to. `And don't try and talk to me about giving her the chance to be normal. You travel through a giant blue puddle, visiting other planets and fighting aliens. Her life will never be normal and she knows that. All that it would take' John paused for breath and raised his hand to point at the general. `Is for you to do what you are so good at and fight for what you believe in. No one gets left behind huh? Well don't you think that by quitting the SGC and letting Carter get away from you, you are leaving not only Sam but all your friends behind as well?'

You would have heard a pin drop in the room as John finished and waited for the General to land a fist in his jaw. Instead, Jack threw back his chair and started to run. ~

As soon as Thor hit the accelerator to propel the Enterprise to earth a green light flashed on his control panel, indicating that someone was trying to communicate.

`Thor. This is the SGC.'

`General Hammond. As I informed the base yesterday I have all your personnel and we are making good time on our return to earth.'

`Thank you.' The General replied. `Although that isn't why I called. Is it possible I speak with General O'Neill on a personal matter.'

`Of course General. He is right here.' Thor motioned for Jack to step forward.

`Jack son, this is awkward but I promised Jacob I would say something.' Hammond's voice came clearly over the com link.

`Let me guess, sir' Jack interrupted. `I'm an idiot. I should have told her I loved her years ago, I should have retired the moment she offered to arm wrestle me so that we could go out and now I have to do something before the wedding. Does that cover it?'

***
With a thousand memories
I take a look at the driver next to me
He's just the same
Though you can't hear me
When I get through
And feel you near me
***

As it was the night before the wedding Pete had temporarily moved to a friend's house leaving Sam alone with her father.

`I think it is traditional on the night before the wedding to talk about childhood memories. I just wish I could have made yours happier.'

`Don't do this dad' Sam sat beside him. `You did a fantastic job bringing Mark and I up.'

`I should have done more though. I should have been there more.'

`I couldn't have had a better father.' Sam reassured him by taking his hand. `And I know Selmak would agree with me.'

`Tell me something Sam, what are your memories of Jack?' Jacob was determined to try this one more time.

A little startled by the question Sam answered anyway, not wanting her father to get any more depressed. At the moment Sam was angry at Jack for the orders he had given about his capture, she knew now he had been rescued. She was also deeply confused about her conversation with Sara, something she hadn't talked about with anyone.

`The first time I met Jack was in the briefing room. I thought he was another chauvinist pig for about the first ten seconds. You know I think that was the moment I knew our relationship would be something special. I've grown so much under his command, I remember really seeing him for the first time, when we were trapped together in Antarctica and he kept me going.'

Sam's eyes took on a glazed appearance; she was lost in her memories. `He was so good with Cassie, we've been through so much together over the past nine years, it's hard to know where to start.'

`But he has hurt you?'

`Oh yes, Laira in particular, but I hurt him with Narim, Martouf and Pete.'

`And the Zatarc detector?' Jacob queried.

`You know that is probably one of my best memories? We had an excuse to tell each other that however well hidden the feelings were they existed.'

`What did you tell Anise?' The question was irresistible.

`That he meant the world to me, that not only that I would die for him but that I would live for him. And that that wasn't allowed.'

`Jack's retiring.' Jacob stated. `When did you fall in love with him?'

`The first time I looked into this eyes.'

`And when did the feelings change?' Jacob was on a roll.

`They haven't' Sam admitted.

`Goodnight Sam.' Jacob turned from his only daughter, she had a great deal of thinking to do and this was a decision that she needed to make herself.

`Night dad.'

***
Driving in my car
Driving home for Christmas
Driving home for Christmas
I'm driving home for Christmas
With a thousand memories
***

Getting in to work that morning had been difficult. Getting in on time had been impossible. Luckily there had been a heavy fall of snow that Jen could blame traffic on and so no one really minded. If she was honest she hadn't really got that much work done today, for some reason her mind wasn't on the job, it kept floating back to last night.

After Paul had let her into his house they had sat on his sofa, talked, pretended to watch a movie and kissed a lot more. Then he had taken her to bed. She swore she could still see the fireworks.

It was four o'clock in the afternoon now and she was just waiting for Paul to collect her. It had been a strange day today, first her new relationship which half the base already seemed to know about, and then saying goodbye to Sam and Jack. As one of Sam's friends she couldn't believe that that relationship was actually over.

`Hey.' Paul smiled as he walked into the office.

`What do you look so happy about?' Jen joked.

`I've just spoken to General Hammond. As of ten minutes ago I'm retired.'

`Oh yes?'

`Yes. So now I can do this.' He walked over, kissed Jen in front of all her colleagues and picked her up. `It's time to go home.'

Unfortunately Paul's romantic gesture was interrupted by Walter who was literally bouncing down the corridor shouting something incomprehensible. Davis felt a duty to stop him before he hurt himself or someone else.

`Slow down Walter.'

The technician turned to them and babbled incoherently.

`Take a deep breath and start again.'

Finally Walter was speaking clearly enough to be understood.

`I was in the gateroom when General Hammond came in with a message for General O'Neill. Then the General, General O'Neill that is, said that he was an idiot and he loved Colonel Carter and that he was going to stop the wedding.'

`Are you serious?' Was the only response that Hailey could give. As Walter nodded she turned to her new boyfriend. `Then this is going to be an interesting Christmas.'



12 Days of Christmas pt 12; The Christmas Song

Day 12 – Friday 24th December 2004

***
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
Jack Frost nipping at your nose
Yuletide carols being sung by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos
***

Sam walked very, very, slowly down the aisle, her father at her side. Cassie was trailing her, Mark's daughter went ahead throwing flower petals. The walk seemed endless to Sam, not least because she wasn't used to wearing the stiletto heels that went with her dress and was a bit concerned that she would fall over in the middle of the church.

`That's the least of you worries' she thought to yourself, trying to look at the crowd discreetly to see if he had arrived. Her groom stood at the front of the church looking handsome in his wedding attire, his brother, acting as best man, standing beside him.

The groom had turned to watch his bride enter the church the minute the wedding march had begun playing. Now Sam was closer she could see that he was smiling at her, smiling at how beautiful she was.

Sam stepped up onto the raised platform at the front of the church and the minister greeted her. She took the opportunity to take one last glance around the church but he still wasn't there. `Fine' she thought. `He doesn't care enough to be here, he doesn't care about me.'

The minister droned on, Sam almost wasn't listening until it came to her part.

`I Samantha Carter take thee, Pete Shanahan to be my husband….' Sam said the rest of the memorized wedding vows automatically.

`I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.' It was done. Pete leaned forward and kissed Sam with an enthusiasm that she tried to respond to.

`Stop!' The door flung open and Jack burst in. But all Sam could think was that it was too late, she had married Pete. She threw her bouquet on the floor of the church and screamed.

***
Everybody knows a turkey and some
Mistletoe help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their eyes aglow
Will find it hard to sleep tonight
***

It was the screaming that woke Jacob up, he ran down the stairs where his daughter was asleep with her head on the coffee table, obviously having a nightmare.

`Sam, wake up' Jacob shook her gently.

`W..what?'

`It was just a nightmare.'

`I can't do it dad.'

`I'll get the phone.' Jacob headed for the kitchen.

`No. I need to do this in person. Let's go to his hotel.'

In the end it was easier than Sam had imagined it would be to break up with Pete. Last night him and his brother had been drinking and Pete had broken down and confessed that he didn't think his fiancee loved him. His brother and Mark had talked him down but when Sam confirmed that they were both having doubts her final worries about calling it off disappeared.

`You deserve someone who loves you, and only you.' Pete just nodded, he knew she was right.

`So O'Neill got his act together huh?'

`He hasn't said anything. But I've decided it's time that I fight for what is in my heart.' Sam leant over and kissed Pete gently on the forehead before standing to leave, a weight lifted off her shoulders.

In some ways facing the church full of people was harder than facing Pete. There wasn't time to contact everyone individually therefore Sam had decided she was going to get up and make an announcement. Colonel Samantha Carter rarely made mistakes and so admitting she had messed up on something as big as this was hard.

`And so Pete and I have decided to call it off.' Everyone sat, trying not to look too pleased. `But the party for the SGC is still on.' That did elicit a round of applause from the SGC staff present, especially as Sam was smiling.

From the empty entrance way outside the church where Thor had beamed him down Jack heard the clapping and his heart sank, fearing that he had arrived too late. He ran to the doors and threw them open, shouting.

`Stop!'

Everyone turned to stare. This was something they had been waiting for. This was going to be better than any cheesy Christmas film.

`Wait.' Jack looked around, confused. `Where is Pete?'

Jack couldn't see the smiles of everyone in the church who knew about him and Sam, he was focused on her.

`Gone. I think we need to talk Jack.' Sam turned to their audience. `In private.' She put out her hand, Jack followed her out of the church and off into the distance.

***
They know that Santa's on his way
He's loaded lots of toys and goodies
On his sleigh
***

Paul was standing under the doorway as Jen came up to him. The SGC party was in full swing, despite the absence of the two main stars. The atmosphere was helped by the `punch' which had been spiked by three different members of SG 3, luckily everyone had seen them do it and both Davis and Hailey were staying well away.

A slightly wobbly Walter approached them. `Look up.'

Paul looked up to see a sprig of mistletoe, something he was sure hadn't been there before.

`It's Felger's latest invention.' Jen explained. `It senses when there are two members of the opposite sex within a small distance of it and the computer generates a mistletoe hologram.'

`Well who am I to argue with technology?' Paul turned to Hailey and spent a good deal longer than necessary kissing her, only stopping when someone needed to get through the door.

Later at the party Paul approached Jay and asked him about the invention. `Who did you invent the mistletoe for?'

For a moment Jay was silent, unusual for him, and then his eyes drifted to Chloe.

`For me.'

***
And every mother's
Child is gonna spy to if
Reindeer really know how to fly
***

Walter and Siler were singing the `twelve days of Christmas' so loudly that they didn't hear the person approaching until she was whispering in their ears.

`Pete has…..' Sam started. `two broken legs so he can't walk down the aisle, an infected voice box so he can't say his wedding vows, a broken finger so he can't put the wedding ring on and he has lost his sense of time so he doesn't make it to the church.' At their stares she explained a little further.

`Well we've got to make absolutely sure that the wedding doesn't happen, after all the bride is in love with someone else.' Siler's wrench hit the floor with a loud clatter as he dropped it in shock.

It was then that Cassie saw Sam and ran across the room screaming, drawing everyone's attention. Cassie threw her arms around her adopted aunt and gave her a big hug.

`What happened? Tell me you guys worked it out.' It was a question everyone wanted the answer to, especially the rest of SG1 who had moved to stand closer.

`Maybe we shouldn't tell you.' Interrupted Jack who had entered the hall. `Revenge for all the money you guys have made on us.'

`Pleeeeaaaassseeee.' Daniel whined.

`Oh okay. We talked a little.' Jack winked at Sam; they were going to make their friends suffer just a little longer. `About some things that happened in the past, like Laira and Pete. We talked about the fact that as of this afternoon I am officially retired.' Jack let that news sink in and then continued.

`And then I said I didn't think that we should wait any longer and I asked her to marry me.' At that point Sam couldn't contain herself any longer, she held up her left hand which had a new engagement ring as the SGC stared. For almost a full minute there was complete silence in the room and then someone started to clap. Within seconds the entire room was in uproar, shouting, cheering and hugging the happy couple.

Through the madness Jack kept his arm around Sam's waist and whispered into her ear.

`I don't know if I've said this yet, but I love you Samantha Carter.'

Sam's smile grew wider. `I know Jack, I think I've always known. I love you to by the way.'

***
And so I'm offering this
Simple phrase to kids
From one to ninety two
***

`Congratulations sir' Davis said when he finally got a moment with Jack.

`We've both retired, you can drop the sir.'

`Yes sir' Paul replied with grin.

`I want you to know that we couldn't have done it without you.' Jack spoke seriously for a moment.

`Done what?'

`The SGC, the stargate, any of it. You are a fine man, an outstanding officer and it has been an honor to serve with you.' Jack looked at Paul. `Now I'm going to find my fiancee and see if she wants to dance with an old man.

***
Although it's been said many times
Many ways;
***

Jacob was once again sitting at a table with George, watching all the young people dancing to Christmas music with the lights down low. They watched as Karyn ran over to Daniel giving the surprised archaeologist a big kiss before returning to her husband. They watched as Felger took Chloe in his arms, Clare led Teal'c to the floor and Cassie persuaded Daniel into a waltz. They watched as Davis and Hailey snuck out of the room thinking they were unseen and finally they watched as Jack and Sam got caught under Felger's mistletoe and Jack dipped Sam in the kiss everyone had been waiting for.

`All in all I think Father Christmas has been good to us this year.' Jacob raised his glass; Hammond nodded and joined him a toast.

`Merry Christmas.'

***
"Merry Christmas to you"
***

Epilogue – Christmas Eve 2005

Jack was enjoying this year's Christmas party, it was a chance to catch up with old friends, some of whom he hadn't seen since he had retired. His thoughts drifted back to this time last year and how much had changed since then.

Daniel, Teal'c and Sam still made up SG 1. They had both stood up with him on the day he had married Sam. There were now decisions going on at high levels about whether or not the relationship that Teal'c had started with Clare could be allowed to continue, an argument Jack knew Teal'c was going to win as he had everyone on his side.

Jay and Chloe were going to be the next couple to get married, Jay had proposed in a way that only he could, sending the engagement ring through the mail as every time he tried to ask in person he got tongue tied. Jen and Paul had stopped into the party briefly with their son, Jon, who was only a week old.

Sam reached Jack and threaded an arm around his waist. `Hey.' He smiled down at her.

`Do you miss all this Jack?' Sam asked, a little concerned.

`Sometimes,' he had to be honest. `But then I look at what I got instead and I can't regret giving it up.'

Sam kissed him. `I was going to give you your present tomorrow but I can't wait.' Sam's eyes were glowing as she took his hand and placed it on her flat stomach. `I'm pregnant Jack.'

Jack lifted Sam from the floor and swung her around, kissing her madly. `Happy Christmas Jack. Happy Christmas.'

TE