samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-Mail: ngeldenhuys@wol.co.za

Category: Romance/Humour

Pairings: Sam/Jack

Spoilers: None

Season: Future Season

Content Warnings: None


She was resting comfortably on her sofa, feeling relaxed and without a care in the world. Her head was resting on the one armrest of her comfort space and her bare feet were dangling off the other end.

Faded blue denim jeans hugged her on all the right places and a white, sleeveless buttoned up blouse ensured that she was the perfect picture of tranquillity.

Every now and again she would lift her hand ever so slightly to switch the channels on her remote and would then mumbled words like, "Boring…are they kidding me…oh please." To round that off a small laugh could be heard also at some stages with comments like, "Give me strength, that is so yesterday's scientific beliefs."

She was just about to switch over to one of the few channels she has not tried yet when a melodious tune from somewhere behind her started singing for attention.

Sighing, but with a small smile lining the contours of her face, she flipped her legs around until she was able to sit properly down on her seat before reaching out for her cellphone dancing around on a table close by.

She ran a hand quickly through her blonde hair before flipping the phone open. "Carter," she answered in her usual manner.

A deep breathing was heard on the other side followed by a man's voice, "Carter? That is a very unusual name for a woman, don't you think?"

She leaned backwards against the backrest of the sofa; her smile slowly started transforming into a grin. "It depends."

"Oh? And on what would that be?" her mysterious caller inquired.

"Well…" she curled one leg underneath her to get a comfortable position and then nearly whispered; "it all depends on whose asking."

"Why are you whispering?" was the next inquisitive comment.

She switched the handset to another ear and while cradling it in the hook between her head and shoulder she used her one free hand to switch the TV off with the remote and another started playing with the top button of her blouse.

"Still there?" the stranger on the other side of the line asked after a while.

Loosening the top button of her blouse, her fingertips caressing the skin underneath she nodded her head and then realising there was no way he would be able to take note of her gesture she added quickly, "Yes, I'm still here, but this is dangerous. We should stop this game, I'm a married woman ya know."

"So?" It almost sounded like he was struggling to force down a bit of laughter.

"So…" she was really trying to play the indignant woman but there was no chance of her striking any luck. Biting on her bottom lip she thought for a moment before completing the rest of her sentence, "So…I'm not quite happy playing this game of yours anymore, especially considering the fact that I just mentioned to you I'm married and quite happily at that."

The line went quiet for a while and just when she resigned herself to the fact that maybe he had put the phone down in her ear there was a sudden, strange noise on his side.

"Is that music playing in the background," she inquired softly after the initial surprise had died away.

"Yes, you like?"

"It almost sounds like the music from 'Singing in the Rain'?"

"Yeah, I heard it was your favourite."

Her hand has moved down and was busy with the second button as she replied in a mock attempt at shock, "Yes, how'd you know that?"

A lively laughter broke over the phone and after a few moments he finally managed to attain as much of a serious voice as was possible given the circumstances, "Hmmm I guess so. You see I have to confess something."

"Oh?" she repeated the same word that he had thrown at her earlier on.

Taking that as permission to proceed he continued on with his revelation, "Yes. You see I have been observing you for quite some time. In fact you can even say I've been stalking you for the last few months."

When she did not comment on that immediately he asked hesitantly, "I bet this is quite a shocker to you, maybe you are even afraid of me now?"

"No, not really." At this she stood up and started pacing the length of the room, mesmerised by the direction their conversation was going, "I kind of knew that."

He kept quiet for a while, only his deep breathing audible, and then said, "There's no way you could have notice me lurking behind you in the shadows."

"Why not?" she went over to the front door and opened the curtains covering the side window slightly in order to stare out onto the darkened street.

"I don't think I should really be telling you this bu-ut…I am a very experienced Air Force Officer with many years of Black Ops under my belt."

"Under your belt?" she commented and closed the curtains before continuing, "interesting way of putting it."

"I aim to please," was all he said, unwilling to be lead into the obvious direction she wished to go. Or at least not for the time being, he was enjoying their bantering too much.

"Uh-huh," she murmured as she started walking to the light switch, a few inches away from her and at the bottom of a flight of stairs. "Will it help if I were to tell you I'm an experienced Air Force officer too?"

She could have sworn there was surprise entwined into his reply, "Really? What rank?"

"Lieutenant-Colonel, you?"

"General…retired."

"Wow, a General. I'm impressed." She emphasised the word 'impressed' melodramatically as she switched off the light of the living room and started ascending the stairway.

A few seconds of silence followed, only the sounds of her feet connecting with the wooden planks of the stairs resounded.

"What're you're wearing."

She paused in her tracks, considered the words for a moment. "Why're you asking?"

"No real reason. After all you know what they say…"

"Nope, but I'm quite sure you are going to tell me anyway." She had finally reached the upper floor and was now walking down the passage, in the direction of a slightly open door right at the end. A soft light was heading her welcome from the other side and an equally soft tune was playing from somewhere in the room.

"Just…that less is better." When her only reply was, "yeahsureyoubetcha," he added quickly, "Hey! That is a perfectly logical, reasoned out argument. In fact I've heard that from many highly intelligent people -"

"Let me take a wild guess. You heard this from men…two in fact and -"

"And here I thought I was supposed to be the stalker, you don't even appear to be scared of me."

She stopped just in front of the open door. Once again she cradled the phone into the nook of her neck and started playing around with the buttons on her blouse.

"I'm sorry…is there any way I can make up for it?"

"Any ideas?"

"I can think of a couple, but the problem is I'm not quite sure whether my husband would approve of it."

She could hear him grinning loudly on the other side and an equally, nearly silly, one formed once again at the corner of her lips.

He coughed a few times before stating, "If your husband is anywhere as good looking, brave-hearted…"

"Your point being?" she interrupted him, her fingers was struggling to get the very last button of her top undone.

He just continued on as if she never interfered with his chain of thought, "open-minded as me he wouldn't mind you sharing your deepest darkest secret with me."

She was finally able to remove her blouse completely and then answered softly, "Yes he is."

"Excuse me," came a confused remark on the other side.

"Nothing. I was just saying my husband is all of that and more."

"Then he must be one great man."

"And much much more." Removed from the constraints of her top she let it flow gently to the ground before commencing fidgeting with the zip of her jeans.

"You know he is one lucky man."

"Why?"

His voice grew husky when he said, "For having been given such a wonderful woman in his life." "I see," she whispered and had to force back a tear threatening to escape from the corner of one eye.

"So what you're wearing?" The sudden chance of voice caught her totally off guard, but only for a moment.

"You really don't give up do you?" she inquired with almost unbelief in her voice.

"Uh let me think…nope…never…don't think so. So are you going to answer my question any time this century?"

"Hmmm, you see it is kinda difficult to describe."

"Maybe you can show me?" An unbelievably hopeful tone vibrated through every single word of his sentence.

"Yes, maybe I can," was all she said before getting rid of the last piece of clothing she was wearing, kicking it to one side as she reached out a hand and proceeded to open the door slowly.

She waited until the door was fully opened before entering, turning around in circles and then inquired from her hopeful stalker, "So, what's your rating?"

In front of her a man, bare chest, a blanket tucked around his middle pushed himself in an upright position from the centre of a huge bed. He scrutinised her for a while with his dark brown gaze before holding a cellphone to his ear and saying, "A perfect number. So Mrs O'Neill any plans to join me over here?"

TE