samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

Season: 9 onwards

Spoilers: Family, Redemption

Sequel/Series Info: Sequel to Never Alone 29: Mismatched Pairs

Status: Continuing series

File Size: 33 KB

Archive: My site, Jackfic, SJD yes, Gateworld, FanFiction Net

Author's Note: Huge thanks are due to Lynette for her always helpful comments and corrections. Any remaining mistakes are entirely my own. And many thanks
to readers who are bearing with this story, despite some of their doubts.


Never Alone 30: Head to Head


Jack sat in his favourite armchair sipping a cooling beer with a small smirk on his lips and feeling self-satisfied. Daniel had come through for him with the trinium and he'd found exactly the right person to shape it into two wedding bands and engrave the insides. Someone who would keep it quiet and whose knowledge of the alien metal or language would not risk Jack being brought up on charges for revealing such secrets.

National security was paramount. Jack knew that very well and he would never do anything to threaten it. Even his feelings for Sam would not allow him to risk such a thing. It was too ingrained and, more importantly, way too essential to Jack's personal code of honor, let alone anything to do with regs or laws.

No lesser person than the ever ingenious and helpful Sergeant "Sly" Siler was making the rings on the inside, at the SGC. Jack thought the man deserved a medal for that. Daniel deserved one too. His friend assured him the procured trinium was totally above board and legal, the use of it having been agreed with Wily Old Fox himself. Perhaps he should give Wily a medal too while he was sitting there dishing them out to all and sundry, or at least an invite to the wedding. Sam would probably want Gladys to be there anyway.

The date was set, the die was cast, and there was no going back. Not that going back was something Jack had any intention of doing, not in this lifetime. He did, however, have some nagging doubts about Sam because he knew she must have them about him, despite everything they had said to each other when he was at her place. Besides, she could do a runaway bride impersonation almost as well as Julia Roberts in the movie, and Jack knew he was no Richard Gere, although if he'd said that to Sam she would have laughed and told him he was way better.

Sam had almost forced him to watch that Julia Roberts' movie with her on the last night he'd spent in the Springs, despite that she knew girlie flicks weren't really his kind of thing. She'd played on his guilt, knowing she could, and who could blame her for taking advantage? Jack was pretty sure this wouldn't be the only way he would be forced to atone for his sins, or the last time, and tolerated it for her sake but, by the end, was hoping it hadn't given her any funny ideas.

This would, after all, be the third time Sam had been due to walk down the aisle and she had never made the previous two. Thank the good lord for that, but what made him so special that she'd go through with it this time? That was something to ponder. Maybe this was part of the point she'd been trying to make in her own convoluted way, which would not have surprised Jack in the least. He'd take his punishment like a man - on the chin. Whatever she needed to do to make him pay was okay by him, as long as she didn't take the ultimate step and break up with him, or leave him standing at the altar, heaven forbid.

This time all the wedding planning seemed different, or certainly compared to the last. Sam had thrown herself into making the arrangements with gusto, something she hadn't done when due to marry Pete Shannahan. He remembered it well – too well. But on that occasion she had seemed to shy away from it. This was telling in itself, but he'd been too dumb to pick up on the signs, or do anything about them. Too stubborn, too uncertain, too lacking in courage. But he'd got his lucky reprieve and now it was his turn. Jack was fairly certain Sam would go through with it, but couldn't stop those teeny nagging doubts from, well, nagging.

He heard a voice cry out from the hall and smiled. Talking of Sam… He'd been expecting her to turn up at any moment. Jack put down the beer and got up, stalking out to the hallway in long strides.

"Hi, honey," he said and she grinned. "C'mere." Jack opened his arms and pulled her into them, kissing the top of her head. "It's really, really good to see you, Sam. Really."

"I'm touched." Her tone held a tinge of jocular scorn.

"Hey, treat your future husband with a little more respect, will ya?"

"But I do!" she teased. Jack laughed and, leaving her bag in the hallway, placed his arm around her shoulder, steering her into the living room.

"I got the dress!" she said excitedly as they sat down.

"Am I going to like it?"

Jack wasn't sure he gave a damn what she was going to wear, but if it made Sam happy who was he to argue? As far as he was concerned, she'd look great in almost anything, although he had no objections whatsoever if she wanted to go out of her way to dress up and look even sexier and more beautiful, especially on their wedding day. Quite the opposite.

"You're going to love it." Sam winked knowingly.

"Is it sexy?"

"I hope so."

"Does it fit in all the right places, if you know what I mean?"

He waggled his eyebrows and she rolled her eyes, her lips puckering up into a smile. With a cheeky grin, Jack reached over to demonstrate, briefly touching her breasts and running his hand down her body, over her waist and to her thighs. His hand stayed where it stopped and Sam felt a frisson of excitement. It hadn't really been that long since they'd last seen each other, but she had missed him.

Jack felt her excitement, wondering if she was ready to allow him to make love to her yet, but still believed this was her call. So he said and did nothing further to hint at such a notion.

"I know exactly what you mean. I guess you're going to have to wait and see."

"Shucks!"

Sam picked up the hand that held her thigh, placing it firmly back in Jack's lap. Later. Her desire for him ran deep - much deeper than any residual resentment about his stupid behaviour in Chicago - but they had important things to talk about and she wanted to discuss them before she allowed any getting carried away.

She'd given that Chicago situation a lot of thought and had itched to talk to someone about it, her meanderings leading her to approach Teal'c once more. Theirs was one hell of a quirky relationship, and she treasured it dearly. Jack didn't know and probably never would realise its full extent. This was one of Sam's secrets, and she shared it only with Teal'c.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The candles burned bright heat around them as Sam spoke from her heart, confiding in the Jaffa once more. This was an entirely unexpected turn of events for Sam. She hadn't planned to seek Teal'c's wisdom or consolation, but had been drawn to approach him almost without volition. Once again, as she spoke, his comforting strong arm had taken hold of her and pulled her head to his chest in a gesture of solidarity and support.

"He has wronged you." Teal'c seemed shocked and perturbed and Sam couldn't say that surprised her.

"Yes he has," she agreed, nodding her head slowly.

"He is a fool to do this thing that hurt you so. Do you wish me to do him harm, Samantha?"

"Teal'c!" she exclaimed in surprise. "He's your friend."

"As are you. If you believe he requires punishment I am prepared to carry out your judgement."

"That's sweet of you," she responded with a smile, squeezing him gently. "But if he needs to be punished, I'm the one who should punish him." Teal'c said nothing and she imagined him bowing his head in deference to that decision. "He's probably punishing himself way more effectively than I ever could. You know Jack."

Again he remained silent, although Teal'c tended to agree with her assessment of his friend. O'Neill shouldered many burdens and, when he considered himself guilty, condemned himself more than any of his peers, that was when he allowed himself to reflect. Teal'c knew his fellow warrior tried to avoid introspection, particularly about those issues that hurt the most, although who really knew what goes through the head of another?

Certainly he realised O'Neill would consider he was guilty in this matter of the heart because there was no avoiding the fact he was, and he would judge himself harshly. Probably more harshly than Samantha Carter would judge him, even though she was severely wounded by his actions.

Teal'c also judged him harshly, because he had acted unwisely and as a consequence hurt a woman the Jaffa had profound respect and love for. She was his friend, and what pained her mattered to him, just as what hurt O'Neill could touch him. Teal'c knew O'Neill's soul would be damaged by what he had done, and that bothered him, but he was angry with his friend for both his stupidity and the sorrow he had caused.

After a long pause he spoke again. "Human behaviour can be puzzling. I know he respects you deeply, but these actions are not those of a man who respects his woman. How could he show such a lack of respect and be so unfeeling?"

His body felt stiff against Sam and she prized herself away from him to meet his dark smouldering eyes. He was annoyed, she could see that.

"I don't think… I'm not sure what to think. He isn't unfeeling, Teal'c, far from it. Sometimes he feels too much, even if he doesn't show it."

His eyes questioned that briefly as he considered, and then he nodded. "Indeed." Sam smiled at the use of that well-worn and succinct word. With Teal'c it held great meaning for such a small word.

Briefly, the Jaffa pondered how he would react if O'Neill were there with him now, telling this sorry tale from his viewpoint. Not that he really imagined O'Neill would disclose such a confidence, but it helped Teal'c to envisage it. He would probably listen, and empathise, but he would also express his anger at his friend's actions, and Teal'c almost wished he had the opportunity to do so. At heart, however, he was certain this abhorrent behaviour was not in O'Neill's normal nature and, therefore, realised the situation had been far from normal.

Sam started to speak so he turned his attention from his thoughts to her words. "He often finds it hard to show his feelings, his thoughts. How does a warrior show all that?" she asked and he knew she expected no response, but nevertheless found it an interesting question. Teal'c knew very well how difficult that could be for a warrior who had to keep many of his feelings hidden even from himself. A good soldier could not be as effective if he did not.

"But I believe he opened up his heart to me," she continued, and the other true warrior in her life nodded thoughtfully, but before he could respond she spoke again. "Does this behaviour make you doubt his honor, Teal'c?"

"I know not. Do you doubt?"

"It hurts, but how can I allow myself to doubt him after so many years of deeply abiding trust? He is an honorable man, isn't he?"

Sam needed another person's thoughts, which was why she was here, and she believed Teal'c understood Jack more than many humans. All the way of the warrior stuff cemented a bond of great depth and empathy between the two men.

"You chose to speak to me because you believe I have insight into O'Neill that you do not possess," he stated and Sam didn't demur. "Yes, he is an honorable man. I have met no man I consider more honorable, with the possible exception of General Hammond. I do not believe O'Neill's behaviour was like O'Neill."

"My thoughts exactly. Basically, I believe in him."

"As do I. But I believe your heart still doubts."

"Jack came close to having sex with another woman. Of course my heart doubts. I would trust him with my life, always will, but this is different, isn't it?"

"It is indeed different. But we have both known him for many years. Do we not know him well enough to realise this behaviour is not like the O'Neill we know so well?" Teal'c's dark gaze bored into hers as he tried to fathom what she was thinking when she paused to think about his words. Then she gave a brief nod and responded.

"Yes, I think we probably do. I just… I so hate having those doubts about him. I feel I should, but also that I shouldn't."

"Then you have a difficult puzzle to solve do you not? Why do you think he told you about this? He need not have made such a confession. His guilt was so great that he required forgiveness?"

She stopped to consider that before replying. "I think he wants forgiveness, but I don't think that's why he told me. He says he wants our relationship to be real and honest. He doesn't want us to live a lie."

"I understand. Do you believe his motives?"

"He's never given me any reasons to doubt him before. Should I start now?"

"I do not believe you should. He would not deliberately lie to you, Samantha, only by omission." Reaching with a large hand, he grasped her arm, squeezing it far more gently than his huge muscular frame might suggest. "We both understand that loss and grief take a heavy toll on our hearts and minds. At such times we do not always react to circumstances as we might normally. And we pay dearly for our past. O'Neill is paying such a price now. When Drey'auc died, much had been left unsaid and I had much to regret."

Sam frowned, taken aback by that confession from her friend, and she placed her small hand over the larger one that clung to her arm, sympathising with Teal'c, as he sympathised with Jack, because he understood regret and how it could eat at you when left unresolved upon someone's death. There would never be resolution for Teal'c about Drey'auc just as there never would be for Jack about his mother.

"I'm so sorry, Teal'c. I've raised some painful memories for you."

The corners of Teal'c's lips turned up in a slight smile. "Such things should not be forgotten any more than they can be forgotten. You do me no disservice to remind me of my own failings."

Sam tittered softly. "I guess not. You haven't got many after all."

His smile broadened and he bowed his head, pleased by those words from a person he admired so highly.

"So maybe I'm right to take a leap of faith?" she asked.

"Leaps of faith have served us well in the past, have they not?"

"If you were me, you'd probably demand the right of Kel nor tokeem," she said, recalling all those years before when Teal'c's wife had annulled their marriage and remarried.

Teal'c smiled and inclined his head. "You remember. That is the way of the Jaffa, not of the Tauri. We had made vows but she renounced them."

"Jack and I made vows too, in our own way." Teal'c eyed her curiously. "We might not be married, but we committed to each other nonetheless."

"Many years ago, I believe," he said, still smiling, "Despite everything that has occurred in between. You do not doubt that commitment from O'Neill, do you Samantha?"

"Not really."

"And your feelings for O'Neill are not diminished?"

"No."

"And do you believe his are diminished, that he has lost his deep rooted respect and love for you?"

She appeared to think about that momentarily before replying. "No, I don't. I believe he's a man whose carefully built fortress of a world came crashing down around his ears one day, and he couldn't cope with it. To some extent, at least, he returned to that dark place he went to when Charlie died."

Sam was clearly disturbed by that notion and Teal'c understood why. Neither of them had known O'Neill during that time of great darkness, but they both knew enough about it to realise and understand that this was a place he neither deserved to be, nor should be. O'Neill did well to escape from that place and claw his way back to sanity and reality, better than many other men might.

"Indeed," he agreed, pondering her words. "If you do not believe these things then you must forgive him as I forgave Drey'auc."

"So you did forgive her." She noticed him nod. "But that was a totally different situation."

"Different, but still the same in here." His hand moved to his heart to demonstrate his meaning. "You should continue to trust and respect O'Neill because I believe he has earned that, despite what happened. I think in your heart you concur. You came to me to seek affirmation of what thoughts already lie within."

"I wanted your honest opinion, not just to hear my own feelings confirmed."

"And I have given it. He is a fool, yes, and I am angered he has hurt you. I will still punish him if you think it appropriate. This, however, does not deter me from seeing the truth, or expressing it."

"You're right," she agreed with a smile, moving back towards him and urging him to place his arm around her once again. "I knew talking to you would help. Thank you, Teal'c."

"My door is always open to you, Samantha Carter. I love you as I would love a brother."

She grinned at that. "Likewise."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Back in the present, she noticed Jack's eyebrows arching curiously as if questioning what she was thinking, but she said nothing about her thoughts, returning to practical concerns.

"Did you get my mail with the guest list?" she asked.

"Yeah. I printed it off and scrawled a few comments. Wanna see?" He decided not to press her about her thoughts although he believed the last thing she'd been thinking about was their wedding plans. Pressing might stir up a hornet's nest he wasn't prepared to tackle unless she wanted to.

"Sure."

As Jack got up to find the list, he turned his head towards her. "Do you want coffee or something by the way?"

"I'm all coffeed out. Besides, I do know how to make coffee, you know. You don't have to make it for me." Her tone was slightly sarcastic.

"I guess you know where everything is," Jack replied lightly, waving an arm in the direction of the kitchen. "Whatever... you know best." He bent to kiss the top of her head and then wandered off to find the list, returning moments later with some paper and a beer in his hands.

"The wedding rings are sorted," he said as he handed the paper to her. Sam placed the sheets on her knees without looking, fixing her eyes on Jack instead.

"And?" she queried, eager to learn more.

"And…nothing. I guess you're going to have to wait and see." Jack teased, throwing her words back at her.

"Aw, Jack… spoilsport." She pouted. "But what if mine doesn't fit?" Sam hoped to wheedle more information from him. She trusted him with the tasks allotted, and to make the right choices, but that didn't mean she wasn't curious.

"It will, I promise. Everything is going to be perfect." He smiled, lifting her hand to his lips, briefly touching them to her palm and then letting go.

Jack knew the wedding plans were going to drive him to distraction and just wanted it over with, but he stoically endured because Sam deserved the wedding of her dreams, although she had opted to make it simple, in keeping with Jack's own tastes. Once she met up with Betsy Sheridan this weekend, who knew what might happen? Jack dreaded the notion Betsy might persuade her to go for something too fancy or tasteless, something totally not him.

"Don't worry, I won't let Betsy lead me astray," she said as if reading his mind. "I don't want this to get out of control or complicated, and I don't want fantasy, flowery stuff."

"Are you sure?"

"The simpler the better. Maybe we should have eloped," she joked. Or at least she thought it was a joke, but further consideration made her wonder.

"Still can. I can get my bag packed in seconds flat." He grinned like a little boy who planned some secret mischief.

"You don't know how tempting that is." Sam was seriously contemplating it. To simply run away and get it over with would be so simple, and something of a relief. Think of all the time and hassle it would save, not to mention money.

"I mean it."

"I know. We can't, can we?" Jack said nothing so she continued. "No, we can't. Can you imagine what people would think?"

"I don't give a damn what they think. I care about what you think. And what you want. You want the fairytale, right?"

She sighed, frowning. "I guess so, or something close. My version of the fairytale." Moving her face nearer to his, Sam took his chin in her hand and Jack grabbed her head, taking the hint and opening his mouth on hers, inserting his tongue to explore in a long, drawn out kiss.

"I promised myself business first, pleasure later," she whispered as their lips unlocked.

"Um, pleasure?" he queried, discerning her meaning from the hint of sexual innuendo in her expression. "All right," he concurred, grin broadening until his whole face becoming two giant sized dimples. The last thing he really expected was for Sam to be thinking about them making love: not so soon. He thought her feelings about what had happened would still be too raw. But lovemaking is what her expression appeared to promise. The woman never ceased to amaze him. Reaching to her head with his hand, he tousled her hair teasingly.

"Let's talk wedding and then maybe I'll put my uniform back on. I know how much you love takin' it off again." He winked, and then chuckled at the wide-eyed, surprised but pleased, expression on her face. A faint flush colored her cheeks and, coughing pointedly, Sam picked up the crumpled paper in her lap.

"Okay, let's start with the guest list…"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

It wasn't until next morning, having spent half the night discussing wedding details and then making love that, while eating some toast for breakfast, Sam noticed the unopened box sitting in a corner of the kitchen. Wondering if it was something for the wedding, a surprise Jack had up his sleeve, her excited curiosity overcame discretion.

"What's that?" she asked, pointing.

Jack stood with his back to her, pouring more coffee from his machine for him and orange juice for Sam. Turning, his eyes flittering over to the box. "That?"

"Yeah, the box," she clarified, surprised to see Jack seemed agitated. He paused before responding, taking a swig of the much needed coffee, wincing because it was still too hot, and placing it down on the counter top again.

"It's, um, it's mom's effects."

"Oh!" she exclaimed, understanding why he looked so pained that she'd mentioned it, but wondering why he hadn't hidden it better if he didn't want her to see. The place was large enough, after all, and there were many hiding places she would never think of exploring. She suspected he'd hidden it in plain sight, half hoping she would spot it and ask, half hoping she wouldn't. Such was the riddle that was Jack O'Neill. "You haven't opened it yet?"

"Not got around to it." His voice was even but Sam sensed the tension, noting his stance as he stared at the box, bouncing on his toes with his hands in his pockets. He raised his eyes to meet hers. "I keep meaning to do it but… I'm not sure whether I want to go through what's inside."

"Do…" she started hesitantly, finally placing her half eaten piece of toast back on its plate on the table, "do you want me to help?" She thought maybe that was what he was angling for, but knew he'd have mixed feelings about her being present when he went through the contents of the box. His teeth played with his bottom lip for a moment before he responded with nothing more than a nod, a faintly relieved look on his face.

"Okay. Now?" she queried, knowing she had plenty of time to spare before she was due to meet Betsy in DC that evening.

"Um, maybe later," he said, glancing at the box again.

Sam recognised delaying tactics when she saw them and realised the task could be hard on him: too many memories, probably way too many of them bad.

"Wouldn't it be better just to get it done?" she suggested, starting to rise from her chair to approach, but he stopped bouncing and stilled, gesturing for her to stop, so she sat and he picked up her juice, moving toward her to sit at the table. He pushed the juice in her direction and Sam took a sip, peering at him over the rim of the glass and waiting for him to respond.

Jack knew he needed to confront and conquer the fears instilled by the box, but had no idea what was inside and how he might be affected by it. He'd hardly dared admit how much his mother's death had thrown him, disturbing him more than he would have imagined. He hadn't really got to grips with it yet.

Maybe the contents of the box would help him make his peace with her memory, but he was apprehensive they would just stir up emotions he wasn't sure he wanted to face. The all too brief exchanges with Sam when he got back from Chicago were the closest he'd come to talking about it, or admitting his confusion. Jack had deliberately tried to avoid introspection, throwing himself into his work and wedding arrangements so he didn't have to think about much else.

"Maybe I should wait until you've gone back to the Springs," he said, suddenly uncertain whether Sam should be there when he did the deed. Jack was unable to meet her eyes and tried to hide his unease by taking a slice of toast and starting to butter it.

"Don't shut me out again, Jack."

He glanced towards her, studying her face. Sam's blue eyes were widened with concerned anguish, and a plea. Placing the toast back on its plate, he closed the gap between them by shifting his chair, and then raised his hand to squeeze her shoulder. A sad smile crossed his handsome features, and he nodded.

"Okay," he agreed in a quiet tone. After freezing her out of the trip to Chicago and his mother's funeral, then regretting it, he didn't want to repeat that experience for either of them, particularly after the Jean fiasco. He had come very close to losing the woman he loved. No more making the same lousy mistakes, sink or swim, he vowed.

Grasping the hand that squeezed her shoulder, Sam caressed it with her thumb. "Whatever makes you comfortable, Jack. I don't want to intrude."

His expression saddened still further. "Intrude? I guess I never really figured that's how I can make you feel. I don't mean to. It's just… shit, this is hard for me Sam. I guess I'm not much good at sharing my life or my feelings. I got out of practice once Sara and I broke up, and I was never much good at it with her. If that's what you want, what you need, you probably picked the wrong guy."

Shutting Sara out had wrecked his marriage and Jack knew it. This was one of the reasons he'd let Sam in so far in the first place. He'd made deliberate choices to open that door for her in a way he'd never been able to do with his ex-wife. Sam knew him for the soldier he was, the good and the bad, which is something he'd never been able to share with Sara, so opening the chinks in his armour to Sam might have been difficult for a man like Jack, but had also been that much easier. They shared an intimacy he could never have attained with his wife and this relationship was built on those solid foundations. Sam had been right about that.

The dark place he'd gone to when his mom died, however, had not been too distant from the darkness provoked by the death of his son, maybe not as black or desolate, but close enough that it could have ruined the best thing that had happened to him since those worst times of his life. He couldn't let that happen again. Losing Sam was unthinkable and would wound them both irrevocably.

Jack felt bad enough about hurting her, which was one of the worst things he could possibly do. But if he lost her, it would be even worse for his own sorry and unworthy soul. He was all too aware that if this relationship broke down it would probably take him down with it, which made him way more vulnerable than Jack normally cared to be, or admit. Nonetheless, deep down he knew it to be true.

"I most certainly did not pick the wrong guy. For the first time in my life, I picked exactly the right guy," Sam objected, squeezing his hand and removing it from her shoulder to clasp it in her lap with both her hands. "I know you aren't an opening up kind of man, you never were. That's a given. I don't expect… I don't push you too hard do I?" she asked, fearful he thought that.

Jack merely shook his head and leaned over to kiss her cheek. "I don't want to push you too far, or push you away," she continued, "but I don't want you to push me away either. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, Jack, but I'll always be there if you want to, waiting for that small crack in your armour, ready to catch you when you fall."

Choked with emotion by her words, Jack hung his head, unable and unwilling to show how they affected him. Sam moved one of her hands to cradle his head, fingers twirling his short hair and massaging his scalp. She bent to kiss that hair and then decided to move away and give him the space he needed, but Jack didn't want her to move, grunting his dismay. So Sam held his head to her breast while her hands rocked and soothed him, in awe of the emotions provoked in both of them.

"The toast will be cold," he said when he could finally bring himself to speak, and Sam thought it was typical of Jack to move on through the use of such a prosaic statement.

"We can make more," she replied and he lifted his head from her breast and kissed her lightly on the lips, fingers caressing her cheek.

Just when he thought he could never love her more, something happened to prove he could. Their relationship was so much more than he had ever dreamed was possible with any woman, let alone Sam. Deeper and stronger and way more wonderful.

"Want more toast?" he asked.

"Not really."

"Me neither. C-can we open the box now?" His face bore a nervously shy expression and his tone was subdued and Sam's lips twitched into a small smile at the corners.

"Whenever you like, Jack. Now, later…"

"Now. You're right I should get it over with, and I nee… um, want you to be here when I do it."

Sam's heart thudded at his confession of need and she nodded agreement, not sure what to say, so electing to say nothing.

"I'll move it into the living room. It's more comfortable to sit there to look through it, don't you think?" Without waiting for a response, he continued, "And I'll make more coffee. I'm gonna need coffee, lots and lots of coffee."

With those words, Jack pulled away from her, rising from the chair, carrying the plates over to the sink and throwing the leftover toast away. While his back was turned making fresh coffee, and he finished drinking the now much cooler cup he'd poured earlier, Sam quietly snuck up behind him and rested her head against his spine, arms snaking around his waist and hands reaching up to span his chest.

"I love you, Jack O'Neill, way more than words can express."

Taking her hands, he twisted them around so he was facing her and pulled her into his embrace. "I so know that feeling," he said, before letting go and turning back to the coffee machine, but he was thinking about how clearly she had demonstrated that love the previous night. Way more than words can express? She was so right about that. Their lovemaking the night before was going to form one heck of a great memory in his large bank of great Sam memories. A memory he could draw on and cherish any time he needed her to be with him when she was absent.


***************

TE