samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOLIERS: for Point of View. REQUIRED READING: Directly follows on from The Kiss Thing. Another small POV contribution. I apologise if the physics is wrong, but it's not really my field.


"Your Jack?" he asked again.

"From a physics point of view," she replied.

"I see." He leaned against the bench, folding his arms.

"Yes. I mean, if you subscribe to the theory that all logically possible universes exist." If everything else fails blind him with science, Sam thought to herself.

"Oh yeah." His eyes travelled up and down her body, causing her to blush again. "Explain that to me," he continued.

"Excuse me sir? You actually want me to..."

"Educate me, major." He took a step away from the bench.

Carter cleared her throat. "Well, according to the many worlds interpretation of quantum theory the universe splits into parallel realities at every quantum instant and all the stars and galaxies we see are simply an infinitesimal subset of reality."

She glanced up at him, was it her imagination or had he taken another step

forward? "The only universes that can be perceived are the ones that have given rise to life... those which have laws of physics similar to ours... the peak of the normal distribution. For example, if you look at the strong nuclear force. It glues nuclei together, if it were one percent stronger, protons would become di-protons and....."

"Wait!" he stopped her, taking another step.

"Sir?"

"I think I get it."

"You do?"

"Yeah. What you're sayin' is... in this reality..."

There was no distance between them now. Carter felt the wall at her back. His hands rested on the wall, either side of her head,

"In this reality...?" she prompted.

"You're my Sam," he whispered.



~~~~~

The End.