samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

Season: 9/10

Spoilers: None

Sequel/Series Info: Sequel to Never Alone 40: Yellow Brick Road

Status: Final part of a continuing series.

Archive: My site, Jackfic, SJD yes, FanFiction Net

Author's Note:

1. I am extremely grateful to Astra (or DieAstra) who was inspired by what I wrote in an earlier chapter about the bet Jack lost with Sam that means he has to play at being her slave for a few days. Astra sent me a scenario that I have used in this chapter, and many of her original words remain. However, I have taken that scenario, and her words, and tweaked and re-written to make it my own. She has not read what I've done with it yet, so I hope she enjoys it. Thanks old friend! :-)

2. As usual, I am very grateful to my beta reader, ImmerRDA, for her invaluable help with this fic. She has saved both me and readers from many errors as well making some terrific suggestions that have enhanced the story. Any remaining blunders, of course, are entirely my own. I'd also like to thank her for relating a short RL story about her own marriage that I thought was so lovely (lucky ImmerRDA!) and so J&S that I unashamedly used it in this story - with her permission, naturally. Thank you, my friend. *g*

3. Lastly, I'd like to thank all of you people who have read and enjoyed this series, and this final chapter. It has been a long road to travel and some readers have dropped by the wayside during the journey. My Never Alone muse has deserted me frequently and RL has eaten away at much of my spare time, but I have worked long and hard on this series when I was able to - blood, sweat and tears, and it's not like I get paid. Wish I did. :-) Therefore, the reward for all my work is that you enjoy the story and, even better, that you tell me so. I genuinely appreciate you sticking with it and all the encouraging feedback you have given me over the many months since I started this series. Hugs to you all!

It's been a long time coming but here, at last, is a new and FINAL CHAPTER in this series, so the fic is now complete. About time too! There are two versions of this final chapter available. Here is Part 1 of the Age 13+ version. An adult only version of this story is available on my website here: http://www.ficwithfins.com/AA3_1/archive/3/neveralone19.html

I hope you enjoy it and would love to hear from you to tell me what you think. I love that feedback, folks.


Never Alone 41: No Place Like Home


"Grow old with me! The best is yet to be." Robert Browning

The airport was a zoo. Something to do with unattended baggage and security. Flights delayed, people evacuated. Once the small misunderstanding was cleared up, a little of what might be called chaos ensued. They were stuck on the plane for way longer than was usual, then had to wend their way through the mess in the airport. By the time they made it to the car Jack and Sam were frazzled. What a way to end an otherwise great honeymoon!

Briefly, Jack considered finding a hotel for the night instead of driving back to Colorado Springs, but they only had a couple more days to themselves before he had to take yet another flight. This time back to DC and away for heaven knew how long from his brand new wife. So all the couple really wanted to do was make it home and spend their last precious hours together in the total privacy that only being in one's own comfort zone can provide.

Not that they had lacked privacy on their honeymoon, you understand, but no matter how opulent and blissful the surroundings elsewhere, there genuinely is no place quite like home. Sure, their two weeks had been glorious, as they should be when you spend an arm and a leg to obtain as much luxury as possible.

There was the sun and sea and white sands stretching for what seemed like miles on end; the incredible food and the exotic cocktails containing a cornucopia of fruit salad and umbrellas on small sticks; the dancing cheek to cheek well into the small hours of the morning; the pool and Jacuzzi, and finding as many ways to have fun together in said Jacuzzi as is possible; the magnificently gigantic bed and the loving making. Oh, boy, the loving making. Lots of it.

After all the extravagant sumptuousness, now they were back in the dreary grey skied, cooler climes of Colorado, home sounded way more inviting than any ordinary old hotel. So, Jack drove homeward, frequently glancing over at his new wife dozing peacefully in the passenger seat, his head filled with fond wistfulness.

The wedding almost seemed like a dream now and a wedding is just a wedding, right? Not so right. The memories conjured happy thoughts, which sure beat the heck out of getting overly irritated by heavy traffic.

Making those vows, finally becoming Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill, had to top many of Jack's previous and more positive life experiences.

Sam looking perfect in her wedding dress; beautiful and mind-bogglingly sexy.

Her hair especially made long for the occasion, albeit piled alluringly on top of her pretty little head.

Placing those rings on each other's fingers, and her delighted look of surprise when she realized exactly how special and unique they really were -so worth all the effort he, Daniel and Siler had made to obtain and fashion the trinium.

His equal surprise and delight when he realized she had made similar efforts with her unique headband.

Kissing the new Mrs. O'Neill for the first time, even just the witnessing of which must have made the congregation breathless, let alone the happy couple who did said kissing.

Crossing under the arch of sabers, traditionally meant to ensure safe passage into their new life together.

Basking in the hugs, kisses, handshakes and words of gleeful congratulation after the ceremony.

Cutting the cake blinded to almost everything else but the look of pure love and happiness in Sam's eyes; the frisson of excitement as he placed his hand over hers to wield the knife.

Mark and Daniel's surprisingly amusing and almost totally inoffensive speeches at the reception.

Their first dance as a married couple.

All these things were extra special memories of the occasion.

Then there was his seduction. The first time they made love as Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill. Suddenly feeling a little bit horny, Jack's thoughts turned to this while he drove, a large smile creeping over his features as he remembered.

Their wedding reception, held in a plush Colorado Springs hotel, was in full swing. It seemed like virtually everyone was enjoying themselves - eating and drinking too much, dancing, lots of bantering conversation. The happy couple were having a great time socializing with their friends and soaking up the great atmosphere.

When Sam excused herself to change out of her dress, Jack followed, stopping Betsy in her tracks as she was sidling out to assist her friend.

"No, Betsy," he said. "My wife, my duty and honor to help her get changed."

Betsy's eyes widened, her lips forming into a smirk. "I bet that's not all you have in mind, Jack O'Neill."

"No comment," he replied with a sly grin, swiftly moving away so he could catch Sam before she started undressing, something he fully intended to do for her.

His wife was at first astonished and then elated as he entered the bedroom, her eyes sparkling with delight.

"Jack!"

"Don't move a muscle, Mrs. O'Neill," he replied in an affectionate tone. Sam's eyebrows arched curiously, although she figured she knew what he had in mind.

"Are you having lascivious thoughts, Mr. Scarecrow?" she asked with amusement.

"Lascivious? Don't throw those complicated four syllable words at me. I don't even know what that means," he joked, crossing the room and taking her into his arms as she giggled in response. "Alone at last, and other such cliches!" he exclaimed lightheartedly, touching his lips softly to hers and then deepening the kiss. Sam tasted real good, he recalled, champagne, strawberries and a hint of cinnamon coming to mind. Sugar and spice and all things nice, that's what little girls are made of. You betchya!

"I want to make love to someone called Mrs. O'Neill," he whispered tenderly as their lips parted. "She's my wife, ya know."

"Betsy." she started when she caught her breath.

"Is not coming."

"Ah!" She smiled, stroking his cheek with her fingers.

"Wife. Jeez, Sam, I'm not sure it feels real yet. We're married."

"Yep," she said with a huge grin. "But how much difference does it really make? Does it change us?"

"Sure it makes a difference, otherwise why bother?" he retorted, eyeing her incredulously. "It tells me and everyone else that you belong to me."

"I didn't mean." she tailed off with her reassurance, his words sinking in, and quirked an eyebrow. "Belong to you?" she queried, knowing he did not intend it the way it sounded but thinking she should pick him up on it anyway. Jack did not view her as a possession. He saw her as a partner. A life partner.

"Ack!" he exclaimed, gesturing slight irritation because he realized Sam was being pedantic. "You know what I mean. That we belong to each other, with each other, together. Never alone and all that stuff."

"That's been true for years."

Tilting his head as if considering her words, Jack offered one of his wistful partial smiles in response. "So are we gonna argue semantics or am I gonna make love to my wife?"

"Semantics? Complicated words, Jack," she responded mockingly.

"Only three syllables. I'm kind of okay with those," he retorted and she seemed amused. Jack so loved that Sam enjoyed his sense of humor. The ability to make your partner laugh can go far in a marriage. Long may that continue, he thought. Like forever.

"Aw, shut up and get on with it, husband," she replied, smirking in that cute way she had. Another thing he loved was her smile, those sexy little dimples.

"My pleasure. Yours too I hope." He flashed a grin that he hoped was suitably charming. Jack knew she got as much of a kick out of his smile as he got out of hers. Something else he hoped would continue. In fact, he had a whole catalog of stuff he wanted them to enjoy together for the rest of their lives. That's part of the point of getting hitched in the first place, right? Amen to never getting bored with each other but to growing together into old age, he thought.

"Inevitably," she said with no hint of sarcasm or ridicule and he had to admit their sex lives were pretty darned good most of the time. Amen to that too.

"Is that a compliment?" he responded with a wink and she threw him a mock scowl. "Alright already. Getting on with it, okay?"

She did not reply, simply waiting for Jack to make his move, and he took her left hand in his, pulling it gently to his lips and kissing her wedding band. Eyes seeking hers, he captured her in a mesmerizing gaze. A small smile quirked his lips as he lifted them from the ring and pecked her hand with soft kisses, moving along the length of her arm.

When he reached her shoulder, he let go of her hand and pulled his eyes away, instead examining her delicately flawless flesh in minute detail. His hands caressed her back with a whisper of a touch and then he pulled back, placing a finger on her lips as a warning to stay silent.

Moving behind her, he slowly opened each button on her wedding dress, his breath murmuring like a faint breeze on her skin, which goose-bumped at the touch. Sam sighed, muttering his name under her breath, and he smiled with delight at her pleasure.

Wedding dress undone at last, he urged her to step out of it and carefully laid it over a chair, warning her not to move.

"Beautiful," he breathed faintly as he moved to face her again and gently grasped her shoulders with the tips of his fingers. She looked up into his eyes and smiled happily and then he framed her face with his hands, pulling her into a deep and passionate kiss. Eagerly, she pulled his shirt from his pants and caressed him.

"No!" he whispered breathlessly as he halted the kiss, grasping her arms to stop her. "No, not yet."

Sam gave him a quizzical look but nodded and obeyed, trusting his lead. She brushed his cheek with a finger, her eyes begging him to continue.

"Nothing I'd like more," he said in response to her unspoken request, promptly enveloping her mouth with his, the kiss hotter and more furious than before.
Sam trembled, clutching his jacket, longing to pull it off, and Jack knew he had her, had captivated her. She was his and it felt real good.

As he eased his mouth away from hers, she gasped, seemingly not wanting him to stop. Her eyes implored but she said nothing, still content that he lead their lovemaking as he wished.

Jack smiled, gently pecking the end of her nose and keeping her eyes captured with his while reaching up to remove the headband from her hair. Briefly, he looked at it before thrusting it into his pocket.

"O'Neill and Carter, for pity's sake?" he commented with a hint of amusement at the words Sam had got engraved on the inside of the band.

"It's so us, don't you think?" she countered with a smirk.

"Mmmm." he said, nodding. "I guess it reflects our lives so far better than Jack and Sam."

"Don't forget the 'Never Alone' part," she said, reminding him she had also got the headband engraved with those words in alien script.

"Where this all started. Think I could forget that?" He tenderly fondled the necklace he had given her for her birthday. The present she had habitually worn since then and that had started their relationship down this track.

Jack never dropped his eyes from hers as he slowly loosened her long hair, removing each hair grip and adornment that kept it in place. While doing so, his fingers tenderly moved through her scalp or brushed over her face and, occasionally, he would lean down to sweep his lips over her forehead, cheek or neck. After each touch of his lips, his eyes would meet hers again and continue to watch her intently.

Jack could see she was getting as much pleasure from this as he was. Her glistening eyes and her rapt expression told him everything he wanted to know.

Finally, he loosed her hair from its captivity and ran his fingers over and through it, a huge smile appearing on his lips as he stared, drinking in the sight of her.

"It suits you long," he commented. "I like it."

"I'm so pleased you do, Jack. I'm thinking of growing it out."

"Sweet! A plan I heartily approve of."

She smiled, obviously happy he thought it was a good idea too, and he took her into a close embrace. His hands caressed her back and Sam gasped in expectation. He did not intend to disappoint her.

"I love you, Mrs. Scarecrow," he murmured in her ear, and she chuckled at his reference to her inane pet name for him.

"Love you too. Mr. Dorothy."

Jack's head snapped back and he cocked an eyebrow, then he chortled with amusement, leaning into her neck again. "Mr. Dorothy?" he queried with a whisper of hot breath in her ear, pleased when she quivered delightedly.

"Well, why not?"

He shrugged, grinning from ear to ear. "Why not indeed?"

Their entertaining repartee might have distracted them from their purpose, but it did not. For a few moments, they swayed in each other's arms and then he gently pulled away, maneuvering her toward the bed.

"Wish I could say otherwise, but we haven't got all day," he said. "We are, after all, the guests of honor at this shindig. People will miss us."

Sam smiled. "In that case, I suggest it's my turn to undress you," she said, reaching for his tie and, however great his urge was to seduce her, Jack found the offer to reciprocate irresistible.

"Do your worst, wife," he said with a grin, so she did. While she removed his clothing, Jack unashamedly but comically grouched about the sorry state his dress blues would be in after her mistreatment of them. Sam threw him a long-suffering look, rolling her eyes indulgently.

"Well, Mr. Dorothy, as you said, we haven't got all day."

His response was a smug grin, but Jack took his time. He enjoyed long seductions and, despite what he had said about being missed by their guests, he didn't really care about that. He wanted to make love to his wife as slowly and gently as was humanly possible.

Jack knew Sam was delighted when she had first discovered he lived up to her high expectations in the lovemaking department. It so easily could have been otherwise, which would have been enormously disappointing. Sam said she had never wanted to imagine that someone as sexy and sensual as him could be a disappointment in bed, although the thought had crossed her mind. When she had allowed herself to contemplate making love to him at all, anyway - back in those dim and distant days before they became a couple.

Sometimes, Sam had indulged herself with the notion of making love to her CO, and Jack had had similar fantasies about her. Most of the time, however, they both tried to avoid thinking about each other in that way at all. It was too painful and downright irksome to contemplate.

Now they were married, something neither of them had ever really considered might happen back then. No, then they had thought they could never live up to their mutual expectations. Both vaguely supposed they might act to get it out of their systems, but would never truly be a couple. They were so different yet had too many similarities and never really assumed it would work out for them no matter how much they might want it.

Yeah to Sam, Jack had been a surprise and, when it came down to it, she had been an equal surprise to him. Anticipation can play havoc. Disappointment can seem almost inevitable.

This was one additional reason they had gone round in circles for so long. It was not as simple as Jack being her CO, and certainly not that once they had become free to date each other but remained firmly apart; a couple in waiting, if you will. Nor was it just a matter of misunderstanding each other's intentions and feelings. It was also fear. Fear of failure, fear of disenchantment.

He knew they had both felt it because they had talked around the issue. They were getting pretty good at that these days; discussing their thoughts and feelings. Sometimes, anyway, which was better than never, he supposed.

At one time, Jack would never have believed this to be possible. Nor had Sam. Not with a man like him, nor with her being as anally retentive and uptight as she could be sometimes. She brought out the best in him and he liked to think he did the same to her.

Just as well given they had gotten themselves married. They were lucky that their spark turned into genuine passion and love.

Jack sighed quietly to himself, briefly eyeing his sleeping wife before turning back to concentrate on the road. His thoughts had wandered away from that first occasion they had made love after their wedding. It was a bad habit, wandering thoughts. He knew he'd done good that day. So had Sam. Real good. The best. Sure, they had taken far longer lovemaking than they probably should have, given they had wedding guests to consider. Who gave a rat's ass what their guests thought anyway? They'd just got married, for crying out loud. They were entitled, weren't they?

The memory was special. The whole day had been special, but it was far from the only exceptional memory of recent weeks. The honeymoon too. That sure was something else.

Jeez, he really loved the woman and not just with his body but with everything he could give. Corny, he realized, but people talked about loving someone with every fiber of their being and Jack knew what they meant.

He turned to glance at Sam again, smiling indulgently with an expression of adoration. She made him so happy - happier than he had been for a very long time before they had overcome the fear and reservations to become a couple at last. Their bad moments had only made them stronger, for which he would be eternally grateful. They would have more bad moments, he realized that. Nothing is perfect. But this would be a good marriage; he knew it in his bones.

Jack wanted to reach out to her and touch, wanted to say something, almost anything, simply to communicate with his wife in any way he could. He resisted but his heart hammered in his chest and his stomach churned excitedly as he looked at her. So peaceful, so beautiful, so everything he could possibly wish for.

Taking a deep breath to quell the outbreak of butterflies, Jack forced his eyes back to the road again. He needed to get them home. Once there he could touch, he could speak, he could make love to her. They only had a couple of more days to share before work would force them apart again and Jack wanted to make the most of them.

Sam felt the occasional glance her newly minted husband gave her while he was silently driving. It had been a long day, fraught with frustrating obstacles to their journey, and she pretended to sleep to make time for her tumbling thoughts.

They spent two wonderful weeks together; weeks of love and lovemaking, lazily lying on the beach and doing all the other things one does on a honeymoon. Time had passed so quickly. Where had it gone? They were nearly home and, though Jack might think it, Sam had not forgotten the bet they had made while he was fall-down drunk after his bachelor party. He lost the bet. He owed her and, in theory, it was time to pay. Her slave for the first thirty days spent together after their honeymoon.

'You betchya,' she thought, although Sam was having doubts and had been trying to talk the whole idea up to herself. 'You won't know what hit you, General O'Neill. Mrs. O'Neill is so gonna get ya! Mrs. O'Neill.' she pondered dreamily, her mind wandering. 'Never thought this day would come and now you have to get used to it, Samantha Carter. O'Neill, shit!'

She wondered how long it took to get used to using a different name, particularly when she would be using two: one for work and one for her life outside - Colonel Samantha Carter, but Mrs. O'Neill. Sure could get confusing, but it was so much more preferable than some hyphenated thing like Carter-O'Neill or O'Neill-Carter.

"Ewww!" She did not realize she had spoken aloud until Jack said something.

"What?"

Ignoring him, she groaned softly as if having a dream filled nap and their silence continued. She could feel his eyes on her and wondered if he was smiling fondly. Possibly. The notion pleased Sam and she could picture the expression on his face. That endearing Jack O'Neill smile. She tried to drive the image from her mind because it was way too distracting and she had some thinking to do before they got home.

Sam was in a bit of a quandary over the bet and had been tossing and turning it around in her head on and off for a while. She had deliberately avoided referring to it for the entirety of their honeymoon. Sure, she had reminded him about it before that, just to be certain he could not pretend he had forgotten. When she reminded him, he had responded with typical Jack like nonchalance.

"Yeah, sure, whatever you want, whenever you want," he said with a careless shrug, as if he was only half listening. Then neither of them had referred to it again.

She did not want to let him get away with reneging but as the time for payment drew closer, Sam kept debating whether she really should hold him to the bet. On the face of it, Jack playing slave for thirty days sounded like fun and it had given her a few naughty ideas to play with. The nearer she came to actually living them, however, the more she started to waver.

For starters, Jack had been very drunk when they made the bet and it seemed a little unfair to take advantage of the fact. It was almost akin to taking candy from a baby, albeit a very overgrown baby. The drunken Jack had been overly confident of winning in that oh so cocky way people can have when too much alcohol has been consumed. She had been sober and wholly aware that he had very little chance of winning in his inebriated condition. The odds had been stacked against him and this made her feel slightly guilty for making the bet in the first place.

Then, thirty days sounded like an awful long time. Okay, so their long periods apart would separate those days, spreading them out over weeks or months, but this very fact was one of the things that made her doubt the whole idea. Sam was not at all certain it was the best way to get their marriage off to the greatest of starts. It might be difficult enough to make their long distance relationship work without the slave thing hanging over their heads for such a long time in those early months of their marriage.

She also had some doubts about how she should handle the whole issuing orders to her husband thing. What should she do? What should she want him to do? How should she play her role as mistress? How far could she go? In many ways, the idea of ordering him around like that made her feel slightly ill at ease. He had been her CO for a very long time and she was kind of in the habit of following his orders.

On the other hand, their relationship since dating had not been like that. Neither of them was the boss. They were not necessarily equals all of the time either, but Jack had not tried to overly dominate her any more than she had tried to control him. She thought he had deliberately been wary of appearing to take advantage of the fact she had been his subordinate for so long. Their relationship would never have worked under those circumstances, they had both known that. Jack had his moments but, overall, theirs was a partnership and they had worked hard to make it one. None of which added up to her feeling 100% relaxed about issuing orders to her husband.

Sure, they had played the odd bedroom games like that, but who hadn't? Well, maybe it was not to everyone's tastes, but Sam figured that kind of thing was fairly common. It wasn't like they went too far. It was just a little bit of fun and they would end up laughing themselves silly about playing such games. She was not so sure Jack would find thirty days worth of it quite so entertaining, particularly when it might involve such loathsome delights as cleaning out the fridge.

Besides, she knew Jack. He might have said he would play her willing slave, but soon enough he would start complaining or trying to wriggle out of something she asked him to do. What then? Would they argue? She definitely did not want that to happen. Sam wanted the fun without the possible bickering - so not a good way to start a marriage.

If she was going to hold him to the bet at all, Sam had to find a way of dealing with it, and she had to start soon. The sooner the better, actually. If she did not do it today she never would, but she probably should not allow Jack to go back on his word no matter how drunk he had been when he had given it. To do that was not necessarily the best way to start their marriage either.

So this was her quandary. Sam was torn but, essentially, she had to treat the whole thing like a game and hope he went along with her. Yeah, a game, that's what it was after all. Just a bit of fun. She could do that. Sure, she could, and she did not necessarily have to hold him to the whole thirty days. She could play it by ear and stop if the whole thing seemed to be getting too far out of hand. She could let him off early for good behavior.

This thought made her smile. Oh yeah, what fun she could have. Who wouldn't? A willing slave that would do everything she wanted. she kinda felt like a kid in a candy store. So many options. as long as she could make them fun for Jack too, it would probably work out okay.

Now, she was looking forward to the game again, determined that she would not vacillate about their little bet any longer.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Jack must have sensed she was awake because he spoke aloud for the first time in quite a while.

"Bet you wish you had a pair of red slippers so you could tap them together and get home quick, eh Dorothy?" He sighed. "So do I, but we're nearly there."

She turned her head to give him a big smile, which he returned. "How did you know I was awake?" she asked.

"You were asleep?" he retorted with a wicked grin.

"Mmmm. wish I was as clever as you, Mr. Scarecrow."

"Ack, well we can't all be blessed with brains, Dorothy."

The two glanced at each other and chuckled, and then Jack turned to concentrate on driving the final short leg of their trip and Sam majored on studying his profile. Her husband was unbelievably handsome, she thought, and seemed at peace despite the long journey. A bit tired, perhaps, but relaxed. Was she about to disturb that tranquility with her game playing? What she ultimately had in mind, he might enjoy.

"And here we are!" he exclaimed happily as he rolled up into the driveway.

'Let the fun begin,' she thought with a smug expression Jack did not see because he was intent on parking the car.

Hopping out, he sprinted to the front door and opened it, turning toward her expectantly. Then a puzzled look came over his face as she failed to join him so he left the door open and came back to her side of the car. She wondered how long it would take before the crap hit the fan.

He continued to look mystified and bent down to look at her through the window, opening the door.

"Sam, is everything.?" He never got a chance to finish his question.

"Finally!" she said with a stern look on her face. "Next time make it snappy, slave."

Then she held out her hand to him and, for a moment, he seemed slightly perplexed. It was quite endearing to see Jack at a loss for once. This did not happen very often and it did not last long this time. Sam saw the recognition dawn in his eyes and he quickly put an exaggeratedly obsequious expression on his face and took her hand, helping her out of the car.

"Yes, ma'am, of course, ma'am, anything else ma'am wants?" As they came face to face, he grinned cheekily.

Damn him, Sam thought. Slaves should never look that scrumptious. She had to fight hard not to kiss him right then and there, but managed to resist the temptation. Instead, she turned majestically, walking toward the house and then haughtily tossing her head back over her shoulder to face him.

"Slaves, or even husbands, are meant to carry their mistresses, or wives, over the threshold," she announced imperiously.

His expression turned into a teasing frown and he bowed his head in a gesture of obedience. "I'm not sure this particular slave's knees are up to it, but I'll give it my best shot, ma'am."

His tone was sarcastic and Sam felt a small qualm about the state of Jack's poor misused and creaky knees. She knew, however, that her husband was very fit even though he took every opportunity to refer to his aching back, painful knees or any other ailment or ill he could think of.

Jack liked to grumble, but mainly when there was actually nothing wrong with him at all. Unless he had man-flu, of course - that special infirmity many men get where they believe they are sicker than anyone that existed in the entire history of the planet. They make certain you know about it too, normally very vocally in a pitiable manner and minute detail. Naturally, it's just a simple cold. One you had much worse the week before but you don't remember complaining about. That, however, was another matter entirely. Kind of charming in its own way, but he was not going to get away with playing that emotional blackmail card.

"I didn't notice a problem with your knees when we were on vacation, slave, so don't give me any excuses now we're home."

He approached, a wry expression on his face, and picked her up without further ado, sweeping her over the threshold and carefully setting her down in the hallway.

"I was going to do it anyway," he mumbled. "I swear."

Keeping a firm grasp on her as her feet hit the floor, Jack kissed her and then pulled back. In response, Sam tapped him lightly on the cheek with a mock slap.

"Keep your hands off me, slave," she said. "Only touch when ordered to."

Jack's eyebrows arched quizzically but he stepped away, bowing low, and was smirking when he met her eyes again. "Yes, ma'am. Anything you say."

Sam smiled. "You got that right. Anything I say, Jack."

"You might live to regret that order," he retorted, an evil gleam in his eyes.

"We'll see," she said, turning to stride along the hall.

"Thirty days," he muttered under his breath, starting to follow but, without looking at him, she paused and raised a hand to stop him.

"Get the bags, slave," she ordered and without missing a beat Sam continued walking into the house. Once out of sight, she rushed to a window and, hidden behind the curtain, peeked out to observe his reaction. Jack was opening the trunk but glanced over, smiled slyly and then pulled a face at her.

Sam realized he always had had a sixth sense about her; seemed to know when she was watching him. Back in the bad old days, he had tried his damndest to avoid that gaze much of the time. Now he relished it.

As he peered into the trunk, Sam had to giggle when she noticed his face fall. He had obviously forgotten about the sheer quantity of shopping she had done while they were away, almost doubling her original luggage and making for quite a haul. He looked up, scowling at her, and she laughed, a feigned look of innocence on her face and waving at him.

Sam reasoned it was his fault she had bought so much stuff. After all, he had not given her much of a clue about the location of their honeymoon, so she'd had no idea what to pack. She just had to buy the things she didn't take with her, right? Right!

That was her story and she was sticking to it! Although she had packed more than enough for their break - way more than she needed, actually, because after so many years of packing as light as possible for both work and pleasure, she rebelled and went a little crazy. It was her honeymoon, after all, and a girl should have a reasonable bridal trousseau.

Of course, it never hurt to have an excuse to go shopping and almost any rationale would do. Jack's lack of candor about their honeymoon destination was hers and he was gracious enough to humor his wife. He hated shopping, what man doesn't? He sure enjoyed watching her sashay around in new clothes, though, and was always overly eager to remove them. Just like a man, but Sam was not complaining. These days, lovemaking with Jack was her favorite hobby.

Sam put on quite the fashion show while they were away and Jack lapped it all up, participating with energetic enthusiasm. So worth that day she spent shopping while he occupied himself by chilling out with a few cold beers. Time after time, she modeled various new items of attire as a prelude to lovemaking.

Feeling flushed at the memory flash, Sam moved away from the window and walked into the bedroom, waiting for Jack to arrive with the first suitcase. After a while he appeared, huffing and puffing with its weight and grumbling about his back. She merely rolled her eyes indulgently, knowing he exaggerated for effect. The luggage really was not as heavy as he pretended nor was he in such poor physical condition. When she indicated where he should put the case, he happily let it go and approached Sam, eyeing her carefully.

"Don't you think we should talk about this whole slave thing before we start?"

"We've started already, buster, so the short answer is, no. Learn by doing, that's me." She grinned at him and he couldn't help smiling back.

"Okay, but isn't it a bit unfair to start right now? How about tomorrow? Yeah, tomorrow would be better." He nodded to emphasize the point, hands dancing in the air as was his frequent habit. "You know, it was a long flight, and I've been driving and I'm tired. and this really would go faster if you helped me. Just this one time? Please? Pretty please?" His tone held the hint of whine and he pouted, making puppy dog eyes at her.

Sam pretended to consider, tilting her head, regarding him seriously and appearing thoughtful. Then she threw him a disdainful look.

"You really expect me to lend you a hand with these?" she asked with feigned exasperation, giving the case a swift kick. "I don't think so." Her tone was mock Jack O'Neill, and it was his turn to roll his eyes. She smiled sweetly, deciding her slave needed a pleasurable incentive. "But I might consider giving you a kiss as payment for each item you carry in here. How does that sound?"

"Would that be a kiss or a kiss-kiss?" She could see he liked the idea - a lot - and detected from his expression that he was up to something devious.

"Um... a kiss-kiss", she replied cautiously and, before he could ask more questions, she showed him what kind of kiss she had in mind. This was, after all, often the best way to shut up Jack O'Neill.

The kiss was deep and hard, lasting quite some time, and they were slightly breathless when she pulled away.

"Learn by doing," she said again with a huge smile and Jack stared at her silently for a moment, a mischievous look in his eyes.

"And I get one of those for every item I bring in here?" he asked and Sam nodded confirmation, again wondering what he was up to. When he all but ran out of the house for the next item, it was her turn to be puzzled.

"Oh boy. This can't be good. So much for those bad knees!" she muttered under her breath.

Clarity came when Jack jogged back into the room holding up a teeny weenie yellow bikini top, letting it drop onto the bed before he approached and puckering his lips for his reward.

"You sneaky, son of a." she started, but Jack interrupted.

"A deal's a deal."

Sam sighed heavily, shaking her head and grumbling, but she was smiling -and Jack got his kiss. It started out sweet and light but he wrested control from her, deepening the passion, swirling his tongue around her mouth forcefully while he fervently caressed his wife with his hands. The kiss left her reeling, but Jack appeared infuriatingly unfazed by the experience, smirking evilly as he high-tailed it out to the car again.

He really was a cunning son of a bitch, she thought fondly. Trouble with a capital T. The kind of trouble she could happily live with forever. His sweat smelled alluringly musky, his mouth tasted temptingly hot and sweet. There was something about those Jack O'Neill pheromones, yes sirree.

Next trip out he fetched the matching bikini panties, then the very short skirt she had worn at a beach party they'd attended, then the fishnet stockings she had used one evening to drive Jack completely nuts, and the high heels that had completed the outfit. one shoe at a time.

Each time he got his kiss, and each kiss seemed to last longer and become more passionate.

Sam decided she needed to put a stop to this. Now. Jack had outsmarted her. She could not deny she had specified "each item" but who could have predicted Jack would open a case and literally fetch each one separately? She should have realized! It was a very Jack like plan to conceive. At this rate, they would spend all night unloading the car and that was not what she had had in mind at all. Especially after all those taunting and tempting kisses.

Apparently, her husband would be giving her a hard time during his thirty days of "slavery". Sam would have to make sure she did not make such a mistake again and think her orders - and rewards - through more carefully. She was married to this man? Holy Hannah!

Jack always claimed she was the brains behind the outfit. He was the dumb one, the muscle. It was total bull, of course. In so many ways, he was far smarter than she. Whip-like smart. Sam loved that about him. There was so much more under the surface of the man and that complexity was fascinating and intoxicating. Like the iceberg that sunk the Titanic, he would be the sinking of her.

As she considered her options, Sam enjoyed the kisses. Yeah, they could go on like that all night, if it was his wish. or not. She had other, better plans, so decided to offer an inducement that would draw a halt to his lunacy. He was a gorgeous, sexy, crazy man, sure, but she did not want to wait all night. There is only so much kissing a woman can do before she wants to take the next step, right? Absolutely right when the kissing involved her super hunk of a husband.

"Okay, move it, slave," she said next time he reappeared, this time waving a solitary t-shirt in the air and a hint of triumph on his face. "Or we won't have any time left for that mad, bad sex I had in mind."

She pouted provocatively, removing her sweater in one swift flick of her wrists. Jack stopped in his tracks, his eyes popping out of his head as she gyrated sensually, tossing her long locks in an impersonation of a supermodel on a photo shoot.

He stood there open-mouthed, so taken aback that his reactions slowed to a halt. When he started to move toward her, she raised a finger and wagged it at him admonishingly.

"Tsk, tsk," she said. "Not until the car's unloaded."

She laughed to herself when he bolted for the door then turned and quickly emptied the bed of detritus, hopping under the covers and waiting for him. When he returned, he was groaning under the weight of the luggage he carried, trying to bring as much as possible in at once. Then he saw her lying there.

"Sam.!" he exclaimed in an exasperated manner and she smiled.

"You'll get your reward soon enough, slave boy," she promised. "Now be an obedient chattel and fetch the rest."

He grunted sneeringly and sighed. "Yes, ma'am!" he exclaimed with a sharp salute and she bet he had never had occasion to leave George Hammond's office that rapidly, even when ordered to go. Good old General Hammond could never offer him quite the same kind of incentive. Sam giggled to herself at the thought.

When Jack returned he exclaimed, "That's all of it!" and moved toward her.

"Not quite so fast, vassal of Samantha O'Neill," she said and he froze, surprised.

"But you promised," he whined with a grimace. "Mad, bad sex. You promised!"

"All in good time," she teased. "Strip!"

"W-what?" he stammered with surprise.

"You heard. Strip. Show me what you've got, Scarecrow man. Slowly."

Jack hitched a breath, deciding he could definitely get into this little game. Maybe his thirty days of serfdom would not be so bad after all. Not if Sam offered such tantalizing recompense for every task set.

"No hurry, huh, Dorothy?"

"We're married. We have a lifetime," she replied with a wink.

"Cute," he retorted wryly.

"Well, come on then lover boy." She smiled in an alluring way, slowly licking her lips with her tongue tauntingly.

Jack did not reply, instead turning his back on her to bend over and remove his sneakers and socks. As he did so, he wiggled his butt in Sam's direction.

"Wise guy. You think you're so funny, don't you?" she said, smothering a grin.

"Um, yeah. As a matter of fact, I do," he said, turning back to face her with a smart-ass smirk on his lips.

"Boy, oh, boy. You deserve to be punished for your temerity."

"I thought you liked my butt."

"Great ass, Jack, but you should show me more respect during your thirty days of bondage." He responded by fluttering his eyelashes coquettishly, surprising her and making her laugh. "Enough of the back-talk, man. Strip!"

"Yes, ma'am."

He obeyed, opening the buttons of his shirt with exaggerated indolence. As he did so, Jack's tongue licked his lips and wiggled at her in a ludicrous mockery of a more sensual act. Sam could not help but chuckle.

Once he'd finished undressing, Jack did not move toward the bed but eyed her defiantly, a mocking grin on his face.

"Get your ass into this bed at once, you hear!" she demanded.

Still he did not move. "Make me. ma'am," he said tauntingly.

Sam considered him for a moment, wondering what move to make next. Then she threw back the bedcovers and teased him provocatively.

Jack drew in a breath, clearly uncertain what to do, whether to continue to defy her or obey her demand. "You're a wicked woman, you know that?" he said.

"Not as wicked as you, Jack."

"Mad, bad sex, huh?" he queried with a cock of his head.

"Mad and extremely bad," she promised.

"Anything you say ma'am," he replied, striding toward the bed and joining her at last. "Anything at all."

"Just as it should be, slave," she retorted with a lascivious grin. "I'm in charge."

"Right. I'll just lie here and do nothing then, right?" he said with an amused look.

"Right," she agreed, and her seduction began.

After their lovemaking, the blissful Jack embraced Sam lovingly. "Incredible, Sam. Jeez, I really got the better end of this deal when I married you."

Delighted by his obvious enjoyment, Sam smiled, stroking his back softly. "No, Jack, I got the better end of the deal."

Looking at her with a slight air of disbelief, he shook his head. "I don't know how you can think that but I'll take your word for it that you believe it's true. Keep thinking it, babe."

"Believe me, you got the raw end," she replied seriously, but Jack gestured denial with a wave of his hand. Taking him by surprise, she kissed him, stunning him with the look of longing in her eyes.

"What, you want more?" he asked with astonishment and she smiled seductively. "I've had it, Sam. I'm shattered!"

"I'm sure I can find ways of perking you up," she said with a grin.

"You think?" he queried and she nodded. "No sleep for poor General Jack?" She shook her head. "Gee, I guess the two stars on my uniform mean nothing to an Air Force girl like you. Next to useless, eh?"

Laughing, she kissed his shoulders where the stars would normally appear. "I don't see any stars. In fact, I don't see any uniform."

Frankly, Jack did not believe he was physically up to more lovemaking but Sam was a patient woman. In the end, she turned out to be right about finding ways of perking him up, that's for sure.

Servitude to his wife did not seem like such a bad thing to Jack, not like he had imagined, or so far anyway. Their bet had been a mistake, he knew that. He had been too drunk, should never have been so cocky and should have known he would lose. His fault. Could he really blame Sam for taking advantage of his vulnerability? Given a similar opportunity, he might have done the same thing to her. Just a bit of fun, right? Or not, depending on what she demanded from him.

Jack recognized Sam could be quite devious if she so chose. That she might think up various tasks that he would hate doing, and she knew him well enough to identify what could drive him nuts. On the face of it, it seemed this was not her intention. They had only just got married so he figured she wouldn't come up with anything too awful this early on. On the other hand, it was early days and there were twenty-nine such days left.

Sam was not the only wily one in this marriage, though. Jack had cunningly managed to turn the luggage thing around to suit him and Sam amply rewarded him for his obedience. So worth it. If all twenty-nine remaining days went anything like the first, he would be more than a happy camper. He suspected, however, that Sam might have a few less pleasant tricks up her sleeve, but a little drudgery and boredom would be a small price to pay for similar compensation.

His wife was still sleeping and he gazed at her affectionately, softly running a finger down her cheek but careful not to wake her. She needed to rest. They both did after the antics of the previous day and night. It had been quite a day. Another good day to remember when he was feeling lonely and missing her.

All too rapidly, their work would separate them again. Frankly, he did not want to return to DC, would far rather stay in Colorado with his wife, but the only way he could do that was by retiring, or going AWOL. Jack was not prepared to do either of those things, not even for Sam.

He no longer needed to consider the possibility of retirement as a means to have a relationship with her. Despite his gripes about the work in DC, Jack knew he still had a lot to offer his country. DC politics and scheming were not his favorite pastimes, although actually he was better at both than he ever imagined, but the SGC and Homeworld Security could still benefit from his particular expertise. The fact surprised him more than it seemed to anyone else, and it pleased him to continue feeling useful and needed.

Who knew what he would do with his time once he finally retired? Play at house husband for his beautiful, genius of a wife, perhaps? Proudly watch her success from the sidelines? One day, maybe, and that day was not going to be easy to deal with. Jack knew he was close to the end of his useful working life. He kind of envied the many years Sam still had left in the service, should she want to continue, and he did not want that envy to drive a wedge between them. She was too precious to him, and he was too proud of her in every conceivable way.

Sam was a good officer, the kind their country needed. He loved her and she deserved his unwavering support. Jack wanted the best for her in everything, despite that niggling envy. So he would have to find something else to occupy him apart from just fishing - something to keep him busy in his retirement.

Maybe he and Jimmy would have a whole chain of high class restaurants by then, he contemplated with a small smile at the preposterous notion. Maybe Jimmy's silent partner would begin to get noisier. As if! Not on either count, he'd bet. Idly Jack wondered what Jimmy might think about that idea. Not a lot, he imagined. Jimmy preferred the emphasis to be on the silent part of their deal, and Jack wanted it that way too.

From the get go, Jack intended the loan to Jimmy as a favor for an old and dear friend. The investment angle was just a bonus he hoped would pay off. If it didn't, he would have lost some money but he never wanted to lose his friend.

Hospitality management was not really his style, he thought, shaking his head and wondering why the heck he was even thinking about it. He hadn't retired yet, damn it, and he was beginning to get maudlin about the prospect already.

Post-honeymoon blues, he figured. Something along those lines anyway. Maybe mixed with the knowledge that he had very little time remaining to spend with his wife. Too short a time to spend it navel gazing or down in the dumps. Jack wanted the last couple of days with Sam to be happy and memorable ones. More memories for that stock of unforgettable moments he could call upon to cheer him up when he needed it back in DC. The honeymoon was not over yet even though they were home again.

"Happy thoughts, Jack, happy thoughts," he told himself in a small whisper, turning his attentions back to studying his sleeping wife. She stirred slightly, and he held his breath, concerned that he woke her. A lock of hair flopped over her face and he gently combed it away with the tips of his fingers. She looked so tranquil.

Sam had come a long way since they had first met all those years ago. Not only in her development as an officer in the Air Force but as a person. He had never even imagined that the tense individual he had originally met would blossom into the kind of woman who had been so rampant in bed the previous night. If they carried on like that, life with Sam was going to be sweet - although he might be dead before he was sixty!

Jack chuckled quietly to himself at the thought. What a way to go! He'd die with a smile on his face and sure could think of worse things to happen.

Leaning forward, he fondly touched his lips to the tip of her nose. If it weren't for the fact they would starve, and they would be brought up on charges for going AWOL, he would happily stay like this forever.

Sam was so much more passionate than he had ever anticipated, so much more giving. More feminine too. Sexy and sensual. He loved her intellect too; sure he did, even if he didn't understand what she said half of the time. Once he had told her that she was a national treasure, he recalled, smiling ruefully at the memory of her coming to his house thinking he was dying. The same old tap dance they had done far too many times since they'd met.

Now she was his treasure and he was hers - to have and to hold, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Not just meaningless words. Jack meant every one of them. Forever and always. Never Alone - the Jack and Sam motto.

"Ought to have it engraved in Latin on a family crest," he muttered amusedly, thinking maybe he should speak to Daniel about it. That sure would give Sam a kick.

She stirred again, this time opening her sleep laden eyes a little. Jack loved that drowsy look on Sam and he briefly realized he had been hoping she would wake up; kidding himself that he wanted to let her sleep. He wished to see that look at least one final time before returning to DC. Well, he always had been an arrogant, selfish bastard, he thought. Sam knew what she had been getting herself into when she married him.

"Morning wife," he uttered in a low voice.

She smiled, stretching to rouse herself in that way Jack also loved to watch.

"Morning. slave."

Jack smirked. "More nights like that and you'll have a dead slave on your hands," he joked.

"What? The great Jack O'Neill can't keep up with the lowly Mrs. O'Neill?" she riposted.

Jack rolled his eyes. Great Jack O'Neill my ass. "Lowly? Oh puhleeze!" he replied, flourishing a dismissive hand. Then he kissed her, taking her by surprise. She tasted of sleep. Kind of nice, he thought.

"Well, good morning husband!" she exclaimed with a smile. "You taste of toothpaste."

"Minty freshness, that's me." He grinned, winking.

"I don't want to kill off my slave," she kidded.

"I think your slave can get his act together. The body is shattered, but it's all in the mind you know. Just give me my orders, ma'am."

Despite what he had just said, he was convinced his body would fail to obey him. Jack genuinely felt worn out. There was no reason, however, why he could not find other ways to please his eager younger wife.

Sam was not overly demanding, or Jack didn't think so. They seemed to fit, to find each other sexy and sensual and know how to turn the other one on. After all the deprivation during the years they had worked together, now they were free to make love whenever they wanted to, the couple enjoyed every moment.

Sam gave him a long hard look. "Bathroom," she said, promptly getting out of bed.

"Oh, so the great Samantha Carter can't keep up with her lowly slave," he teased.

"I'll be back," she responded with her best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression, making Jack chuckle.

"Make it soon."

Shortly she returned, slipping back into the bed beside him and giving him a hug. "I wish we could wake up like this together every day," she commented wistfully.

"Me too. So let's take advantage of the mornings we have, eh?" He waggled his eyebrows evocatively and she grinned.

"Mistress and slave's thoughts are as one. You lead."

"It's a slave's role to pleasure his mistress," he replied, caressing her tanned flesh lightly as he spoke. "Your wish is my command. This slave figures he could lie here all day."

"Really? Well, generally speaking we both have universes to save and all of that."

"Yeah, I guess that kind of makes it worth getting up in the mornings."

"But not today."

"No, not today. We have to give some other poor schmuck the opportunity to save universes, right?"

She nodded agreement with a grin and he kissed her, long hard and deep.

"I'm a little bit tired after yesterday," she confessed as they stopped kissing and instantly he broke off from fondling her too.

"Ummm. well, I am too. I'm bushed and not sure I'm up to much, Dorothy, but I'm not gonna let that stop me pleasing my wife. Do you want me to stop?" he asked seriously.

"No way Mr. Dorothy." She smiled and Jack started caressing her again, sinking his teeth into her delicate neck.

"Sex machine," he teased.

"And that's a bad thing? Look who's talking!"

Ignoring her jibe, Jack continued his avid attentions. Admittedly, after he made love to her he fell asleep immediately, but that was okay because Sam did too.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

She jerked awake later when loud knocking at her front door rudely interrupted their restorative slumber. Instantly roused by the intrusion, Jack sat up cursing.

"Crap!" he exclaimed irritably. "Wanna bet it's Daniel here to welcome us back and find out how the honeymoon went. He has an unerring sense of bad timing as far as we are concerned."

Sam giggled, making a move to get up, but Jack grabbed her. "Don't answer it Sam."

"If it's Daniel I'll tell him to go home but it might be something important."

Jack groaned but let her up and Sam quickly slipped on a large t-shirt and Jack's boxers because they happened to be closest. They were both way too big but he eyed her appreciatively nonetheless. Getting up himself, he threw on a shirt and his jeans and followed.

A stranger stood at the door and Sam was nodding. "Thanks Mac," she said taking the parcel he proffered. "It's not Carter anymore, by the way, it's O'Neill."

Jack watched from down the hall, hanging back and smiling to himself. He was thinking 'O'Neill. You betchya!'

The delivery man, Mac apparently, grinned merrily. "Oh, you got married! Congratulations. Mrs. O'Neill!"

"Thanks," she replied, grinning back.

"Jeez, all this time waiting for you and you went off and married another guy," Mac said and Sam laughed obligingly, signing for the package. Mac turned to walk away and Sam halted him, her hand lightly grasping his shoulder.

"Oh, Mac, that's O'Neill with two lls, by the way," she commented humorously and Jack chortled, giving himself away, but he figured she knew he was standing there watching anyway. She always knew.

"What is it?" he asked inquisitively as she sauntered back down the hall toward him.

"Don't know." Waltzing past him into the kitchen, she placed the parcel on the table. "Don't know if I care." Sitting down, she looked up at him as he entered behind her. "Make coffee, slave," she commanded.

Jack grunted as if objecting, but started to look for the coffee anyway. "Have we actually got any coffee? We haven't been shopping."

"Unopened pack in that cupboard," she told him, pointing.

"Then can we open the mystery package. ma'am?" he asked plaintively, filling the kettle with water.

"My, my. Slaves should not be so curious about the parcels their mistresses receive," she admonished.

"How about husbands?"

Sam looked at him and laughed. Jack was like a big kid sometimes. The boyish expression on his face proved that.

"Anyone would think it was addressed to you," she commented with feigned acidity.

"What's yours is mine. Mrs. O'Neill," he quipped.

Kid in a candy store. Apparently, Jack liked mystery packages. Another previously unknown fact about her husband she stashed away.

"Fine," she said with an indulgent sigh. "Mrs. O'Neill will open it over coffee. That okay with you slave?"

Jack did not reply, simply smiling and continuing to make their drinks. When he sat down next to her with two steaming cups, he eyed her expectantly.

"Any idea who it's from?" he asked.

Sam examined the package. "Looks like Betsy. Now what the heck would she be sending me something for?"

She had to admit she was getting curious too and Sam gently shook the parcel, trying to judge what might be inside by its weight, feel and sound. It was light and unhelpfully did not make any indicative noises at all.

"Hey, she addressed it to Sam Carter! Should I feel slighted?" Jack whined, making Sam laugh. His pouting reaction to her amusement simply made her chortle even harder.

"Old habits I suppose." she replied.

"Huh!" His glower deepened. "And what was it about us getting married that she missed? For crying out loud, she was Matron of Honor!"

He continued in grumbling mode for a while but Sam knew he was kidding around and smirked gleefully. Meanwhile, the parcel remained firmly unopened and in the end, Jack tailed off from griping and glared at her.

"So, why don't you just open it?" he said with a tinge of childlike impatience. She glanced at him fondly, pleased to have discovered this vice of boyish curiosity, and started to rip the package open. Secretly, she hoped Betsy had not sent something she would not wish for Jack to see, but then they should have no secrets from each other, right?

"Oh!" she exclaimed with pleasure when she saw the contents. Jack arched his eyebrows, whistling under his breath. Inside was some sexy lingerie. A tight fitting strapless bodice and skimpy panties in scarlet red silk with black trim. There was also a note. Hastily, Sam thrust the underwear aside to open it and Jack picked the silk up, smoothing it in his hands.

"Nice!" he observed, beginning to imagine his wife wearing it. Sam ignored his reaction and studied the note.

"Saw this and thought of you," it said. "Hope you enjoyed the honeymoon. Dying to chat! Call me once Jack leaves. This should get his attention, although I doubt he's lost it. Welcome home! Betsy x"

Sam read it to him and he took her hand. "It's got my attention all right."

"Then I'll have to try it on later," she responded with a grin.

"And there I was thinking that slaves were unpaid," he quipped jauntily.

"Not this one," she said, her grin broadening. "Even the lowest of the low deserve some kind of reward."

Jack chuckled. "Very generous of you, mistress mine." He squeezed her hand and then raised it to his mouth and kissed it.

Sam shivered, staring into his dark eyes and wondering if she would ever fail to find her husband exciting. Maybe one day when she was old and grey, but she hoped not. She was well aware that familiarity could breed contempt but held onto better hopes than that for them. Having encountered other couples who had been together for years that still seemed besotted with each other, she wanted her and Jack to be like them.

"Gee, I really love you, Jack," she said and he seemed taken aback by her sudden declaration, squeezing her hand again but saying nothing. She indicated the new underwear with her free hand. "This has got to be sexier than a large t-shirt worn with your boxers."

"I wouldn't bet on that. Mr. Scarecrow thinks Dorothy looks pretty hot just the way she is."

"Wow!" she countered, feeling her face flush. "You must need glasses."

Jack let go of her hand and gave her an adoring look, making her quiver once again. "Coffee's getting cold," he said as if no frisson of something had just passed between them but keeping his eyes fixed on hers.

She groped for her coffee mug, unable to break eye contact, and took a small sip.

"You are the sexiest man I ever met in my life, you know that?" she said in a low whisper.

"I've heard it said," he replied with a quirky smile and brushing his fingers over her cheek.

Sam was sure she felt her flush deepening. She could not seem to get enough of this man. Even after all the sex they had had over the last few days, she still wanted him.

They continued to stare silently at each other for quite a while before Jack finally pulled his eyes away, biting his lip with what appeared to be confusion or perhaps discomfort. Jack never was that great at accepting compliments gracefully, she thought. He grabbed his coffee and started to drink, glancing at her from over the rim of the cup. Tension sizzled around them like electricity in the surrounding air.

"What's on your mind, Jack?" she asked eventually, having realized his demeanor was not a simple matter of being self-conscious about her flattery. He stayed mute for what seemed like long moments while she waited for him to respond.

"Um." he started falteringly, his uneasiness escalating. "I er. Sam, do you want to try and make babies?" This was evidently not just a throw away remark. He was very serious indeed but had caught her off-guard and she did not know what to say.

"So soon?" she asked after a long pause to consider.

Jack was studying her, trying to judge her reaction. "Too soon?" he queried.


It was not like they had never discussed the idea before but Sam had to confess she was surprised he had raised it so quickly after their marriage.

"I-I don't know," she stammered. "I-I guess if we are going to have a child we need to get started before I get too old."

"You want us to have a baby?"

He was still hiding behind his cup although Sam thought he had probably finished the drink. She pulled the cup away from his face and gently forced him to place it on the table.

"You know I do, Jack. Our baby. Of course I want that."

"Not ready?"

"Not sure I'll ever be what might be considered ready," she replied candidly. "Is anyone?"

"No one really knows what they are letting themselves in for if that's what you mean. I know how much you love your work Sam; that you have a career to consider too. No pressure, just sayin'."

Yes, she had a career to consider but Sam did want a child, Jack's child. She did not want her work to get in the way of that. Other people juggled career and children, but a baby would change everything in ways she could not even imagine. The notion of motherhood was slightly scary for many different reasons, and certainly not all of them job related.

"I don't want to leave it until it's too late," she said. "I want to be a mother and I want you to be a father again because I know you'll be a great dad." She squeezed his hand gently and smiled. "I just. don't we need some time for ourselves first? Get used to being Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill?"

Jack seemed to think about those words. "Maybe. But we have no idea how long it would take for you to get pregnant. Some couples wait for years. Some can't. well, you know. Sam." He made sure he caught her eyes before continuing, wanting her to understand what he said was sincere. "I've always said I want to be with you more than I want a kid and I still mean that. You are my family. You, Cassie, Daniel and Teal'c. I don't need more than that, which doesn't mean I don't want it, but you have to want it too." He shrugged uncertainly. "Yeah, well maybe my timing is a bit off."

Sam thought about it, doing a Jack by sipping her coffee as cover. She seriously wondered whether she should stop taking her pill straight away, but had reservations.

"I want it, Jack, but it scares me as well," she admitted and Jack nodded.

He knew this already and empathized because the idea of becoming a father again worried him in some ways too but for different reasons. His past. Charlie. Jack knew he could never go through that again, doubted he'd survive that most harrowing kind of loss for a second time, but there was always a risk. Nothing in life is a sure thing. Worth the possibility for a second chance to be a father, a better one this time around, he thought. Not worth even the remotest of chances of losing Sam, although he didn't really believe that would ever happen.

"Whatever you want, Sam. I'll support your decision, back you all the way. I guess deep down I know it's too soon, that we need some time to adjust to marriage, but... just think about it."

Smiling sweetly, she nodded agreement. She would think about it, she really would. Sam loved kids as much as Jack did and still craved that normal life she had so wanted when foolishly throwing herself into Pete Shanahan's arms. She and Jack, however, were not a normal couple. They did the impossible and unimaginable with their lives. Among other misgivings, she still had qualms about how all that fitted in with having a child.

Sam knew Jack suffered doubts as well, despite his deep-seated desire, and she understood why. He had trust issues about himself, he had fears. That was only natural after what had happened with Charlie, she supposed. Although Sam realized she could never truly empathize about those awful events that had changed his life so fundamentally. How could she when she'd not had children of her own, had never been in that situation?

She would never truly know what Jack felt about Charlie, his culpability and loss, but she could make an informed guess. They had talked about it. Another one of those candid Jack moments he had persisted with before he would consider asking her to marry him. Sam appreciated that he had opened himself up, wanted her to know what she would be getting if she accepted his eventual proposal.

Sam knew, all right, and loved him more for all of it. Leaning toward him, she kissed his lips lightly and smiled. "I will think about it, I promise."

"I love you, Carter, and nothing will ever change that," he said. It had been quite a while since he had referred to her as Carter and Sam was surprised.

"Carter?" she queried.

Jack shrugged carelessly and grinned in a gauche kind of way. "Force of habit."

"A habit I thought you'd broken."

"I guess I was reverting to type," he replied, seeming to ponder his lapse.

"Oh? Love and Carter are not two words I can recall coming up in the same sentence that much," she teased.

"Probably never."

She wondered if his slip meant something or nothing, quickly dismissing the thought as unimportant. "I've kind of missed you calling me Carter," she confessed.

"Sometimes I have to consciously stop myself. Not always easy but I'm not your CO anymore, Sam. If I was, we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation."

"Heaven forbid, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I still have to force myself to not call you sir."

"Mr. Scarecrow is a heck of a lot less respectful, that's for sure."

Sam giggled, placing a hand on top of his. "Mistresses don't have to be respectful to their slaves," she joked, amused by his responding pout. Here we go again, she thought, but had to admit Jack looked cute when he sulked in that boyish way. Or when he wasn't being serious about it, anyway, like right now.

"And what about wives and their husbands?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Or husbands and their wives?" she countered.

Smirking, Jack indicated his lap. "C'mere," he suggested, so she moved out of her chair and sat on his knee like he wanted, giving him a big hug. "So, what does the mistress have in mind for her slave today?"

"I'll think of something."

"Does it include going back to bed? Showing off that new lingerie perhaps?" he queried with a grin and a wink.

"Mmmm. maybe later."

"Later?"

"As I said, I don't want to end up killing off my slave," she teased, winking back.

He grinned, kissing her greedily, and she responded in kind - not the easiest of kissing angles for either of them to achieve with her sitting on his knee. Then, to Jack's surprise, Sam extricated herself from his grasp and stood up, whisking away their coffee mugs.

"More?" she asked.

"You don't want slave boy to make it?" Jack queried and she patted him on the head mockingly.

"No, you just sit there and rest Scarecrow man. I don't want to wear you out. I have plans."

"Plans you say? Oh, and what would they be?" His face bore a smug expression that Sam thought he deserved to have wiped off those adorable but also exasperating features.

"I think the fridge needs a good clear out and clean," she replied with an internal titter, walking over and opening the door. "Yuck!" she exclaimed, quickly closing it again. As she had forgotten to clear it out before they went on their honeymoon, the fridge smelled like some kind of unpleasant experiment gone wrong. "Gee there's milk in there that's so solid it doesn't even need a carton." She turned to face Jack, amused by his grimace.

"You're kidding, right?" he said and when she shook her head, his face fell even further. She knew he hated cleaning the fridge. "Oh, Sam.!" he whined.

Grinning, she approached and kissed his cheek. "Don't forget how well I reward my slaves."

Jack half-smiled. "You have more than one?" he joked.

"The one I have is more than enough to handle, thanks very much."

His smile turned ironic. "So, what are you gonna do, sit and watch?"

"Well, I'd like nothing better than to watch my husband at work. He's kind of cute and has a great ass. But I think on this occasion I might give him a hand."

His ironic smile changed to an all out grin as he considered how he might turn the detested fridge cleaning chore to his advantage. "Really?" He waggled his eyebrows suggestively and Sam giggled. They had made love in the kitchen before now and no doubt would again. Maybe today, maybe not.

"Well, never alone and all that," she said.

Those words forced a chuckle from Jack's lips and he stood up and grabbed her, pulling her close and giving her a hug. His lips brushed her neck before he drew back.

"Never alone," he repeated, beaming happily. "I sure like the sound of that."

"Me too," she said, briefly kissing him on the lips.

"There's no place like home, eh Dorothy?" Jack sighed wistfully and Sam was compelled to agree. When Jack O'Neill was around, there definitely was no place like home. Not anymore.


The End



End Notes: "True love stories never have endings." Richard Bach

Author's endnote:

After all this time, I have mixed feelings about finishing this series. Who
would have thought my standalone Never Alone fic would turn into this 41
part monster? Certainly not me! I will miss this particular iteration of
Jack and Sam and the other characters I have expanded upon or created for
this series. For various reasons, however, it is long past time for this
series to go.

Completion will free my time for other projects. I promised many readers I
would get them married by the end and I have so my work is done. Now this
story is getting old and stale for me and I want and need to get on with
some different things. A lot of readers seem to have lost interest over the
many months and delays with new chapters so they obviously agree. I figure
they would probably prefer I have the extra time for other things too.

I hope you enjoy my future work! :-)